Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet HHR

Comments

• nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    "balanced against the silent majority of millions???? That's your opinion!!!!! If they are "SILENT" who knows what their average mpg is??? YOU???
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Let's not have this turn personal please.

Avoid the trap of letting things escalate. Stick to talking about the HHR, not each other.
  • hhr06hhr06 Member Posts: 47
    well good morning i thought this was a forum for hhr's only seems i'm reading a lot about pt cruiser's. i just bought an hhr and am interested in reading other peoples comments [pro or con] about it. do u think we can keep this to hhr's only. any way has any one figured out yet how to display time and date on radio screen, by that i mean so that it stays on screen, i'm trying to figure why have the date when it doesn't show all the time. might seem in material to some persons but when i by the best i want it to work properly.
  • mihhrmihhr Member Posts: 6
    hhr06,

I'm not positive but I think the design is to push the date button to display the date momentarily when you need it. The time on mine stays visible on the radio display but not the date, unless i push the button.

Now I'm curious... Going to check and see if there is a way to display the date full time, but I doubt it. :confuse:
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Has anyone so far experienced gas mileage in town under 14 MPG or on the highway less than 18?

My guess is 19 to 20 all in town gas mileage, 24 to 26.5 in mixed driving, with 29 to 30 on the highway with a very light foot. Am I close?

Loren
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    While discussing where the HHR is built is certainly approriate in this topic, once it veers off into where different makes are built and where the money goes, we've gone seriously astray.

I've removed some off topic posts to get us back on track here. Let's stick to the discussing the vehicle itself here please.

Thanks!
    Why not take the car back to the dealer and have the salesperson set the clock for ya. They work for you, the customer, so they should be more than happy to help you.

loren
    tx already did that day of delivery salesman had no idea how to set date ask me when i find out let him no, image that.
    ok here goes next topic, do i REALLY need to use premium gas. thought i would start out with 93 octane then next 89, then 87, what is every one else using?
    If you want the extra HP, then yes. I assume, since it was an optional engine, the choice was for extra HP. A wild guess is a drop of 3 to 5 HP. Someone at GM knows just how much. See if the dealership is willing to contract Mother to see if they will give you the data.
    It is possible someone on the board here is a wizard with tweaking engines and has tried different spark advances with a 2.4 liter engine. I think of a Miata, 1.8 liter engine, it would drop around 3 to 5 HP. I would think that GM tested the engine at different octanes, so they have the data. Getting it is another story.

Your car doesn't have a turbo, so that is not an issue. Most turbo cars that say to use premium, really do mean premium only.

Oh dang, forgot about something - the warranty. Be sure it does not effect the warranty to use regular gas.

Loren
  • mihhrmihhr Member Posts: 6
    I don't know what the difference is because all I've had in it so far is regular gas. This is the bigger engine. No pinging, 27mpg according to the trip computer. Its still new so I haven't used up a tank yet. Took it up to the store a little while ago and decided to turn off the a/c and try it out for acceleration. I was pleasantly suprised. Again, it's not a hot rod but it gets away from a light a lot quicker than I thought it would. You can't be stingy with the gas pedal though.

My dealer said you only have to use higher grade gas if it starts pinging or losing power. Believe what you want. I really don't care as long as they stand behind the warranty. It's a 3 year lease so... no worries. :shades:
    Well, it has to lose power, as the engines computers are resetting to compensate for the regular gas. You will not have the same HP as you would if you use the Premium gas. If you are getting 27 MPG in mixed driving, that is very good for a brand new engine. After some miles on the odometer, you may consider topping off the fuel and doing some readings the old fashion way and see how it compares to the computer data for MPG. If the engine pings, or the warranty is in question, move on up to premium. To gain some HP, move on up. The modern day cars do normally adjust to the lower regular gas. Listen for the ping. It shouldn't ping. Have fun!

Loren
  • parky129parky129 Member Posts: 50
    Lowest mileage so far 27 highest 31 average 28-29, everyday driving garage sales etc. 1000 miles on engine, expect average to increase as it breaks in. :)
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    I saw the first HHR in person about a week-and-a-half ago as I was driving home from work. I saw a silver one while traveling with the family on the way to do some shopping this past weekend. My wife really liked it. (I was thinking about selling her on the idea of trading her car for one next spring)

But when I went by the local NC dealership lots (3 of them, 1 in Asheville, 1 in Black Mountain, and 1 in Marion), none had a single HHR on the lot or in the showroom. So we weren't able to get close up looks at them or at their interiors.

Where are they hiding them?
  • smariasmaria Member Posts: 279
    What CR and others do in tests to get such poor gas mileage in the average car is beyond me.

Just to clarify, Consumer Reports DOES usually get the EPA MPG (or better) for highway driving. But, the big discrepancies (33-50%) are in the city numbers. In the real world, people idle longer and accelerate faster than the EPA's tests. Also, as you say, hills and strong head winds can also significantly reduce real-world MPG (not taken into account by the EPA).
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Probably mostly sold out. There isn't much supply yet. My dealer only has 1 in stock and on the lot.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    You said, in part: Consumer Reports DOES usually get the EPA MPG (or better) for highway driving. But, the big discrepancies (33-50%) are in the city numbers

Agreed. I find the CR mileage numbers very helpful. They have City, Highway steady state, 150 mile higway trip, and combined mileage numbers. The City number is the one that is a lot lower than EPA. The Highway steady state can be pretty high, and is probably most akin to what you'd get if you were on a "fuel economy" challenge - no stop and go, just cruise control at legal limit, and is often higher than the EPA highway number. The 150 mile highway trip has some "overhead" - warming up the car, getting on and off the freeway, stop for lunch and breaks. It's a little lower than EPA highway figures, but not by much. Combined is a low figure based on "stoplight dragracing" - accelerating briskly up to speed, then stopping for the inevitable red light the next block (I accelerate slower and time my lights to the extent possible).

I never realized that I was getting much better mileage than most drivers. My father taught me to anticipate traffic, time lights, drive like there is an egg between my foot and the accelerator pedal. I also read all the driving articles of the day in Popular Mechanics and Popular Science.

In the current era, people are in a hurry and don't value the role of the driver in saving fuel. They tailgate and alternate between accelerating up to bumper distance and braking to keep a safe distance. They accelerate quickly into open pockets of traffic on the freeway. And they really move out from stop lights. And the mileage is bad? I'm not surprised. Does this mean I drive like a fuddy duddy? No, I usually get accused of driving too fast. But, I try to drive smooth and smart, too, and not make every take off a drag race - only when I need to beat another car to the on ramp.
    The way CR measures mileage and weights their figures also has an effect on cars that they recommend. For example, the 4 cylinder current Malibu delivers an astonishing 34 mpg on steady state highway, but doesn't get any better mileage than the 6 cylinder when the city/highway weighting is over. So for the "average" American driver with a lot of city driving and a lead foot, the 6 cylinder will be quieter (less revving and thrashing the engine to get the desired city acceleration) and more powerful, with the same gas mileage.

From my perspective, the 4 cylinder is more attractive since my 80 mile daily commute is pretty much at freeway speeds with little slow and go, and I often take weekend trips of 300-400 miles. The extra mpg on the freeway wouldn't get overshadowed by the roughly equivalent city mileage. Even in the city, my slower takeoffs would mean the 4 cylinder would save some gas.

The problem is, as a generation and a nation we told ourselves that 4 cylinders weren't thrifty (a virtue) but cheap (poverty mentality, I deserve better). Now we all need 6's and V-8's are even better. And, bigger is better than smaller. Our gas mileage crisis is as much a part of our psychology of self esteem as it is a crisis of means. Only a few people will conspicuosly consume by buying a MINI instead of a Corolla. Most buy an F-150 or an Expedition instead of a Corolla (or even instead of a Camry or Impala).
    Our gas mileage crisis is as much a part of our psychology of self esteem as it is a crisis of means.

True. What else would explain the V6 hybrids that are available? For example, the Honda Accord Hybrid (with a V6 gas engine) performs comparably to the V6 Honda Accord in terms of horsepower and torque. To REALLY save gas, there should be a 4-cylinder Honda Accord Hybrid that performs comparably to the 4-cylinder Honda Accord...but Honda probably thinks a 4-cylinder Accord Hybrid wouldn't sell, and based on the current market they're probably right.

I just bought a Mazda5 with a 160-hp 4-cylinder engine, and that's plenty of power for me. I'm glad that the HHR comes with fuel-efficient 4-cylinders (22/30 MPG, according to Chevy).
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    Bit confused about the V6 vs 4 sales comment. Camry and Accord sell about 80% 4's and 20% 6's.
  • 107main107main Member Posts: 33
    I took a blue one to Fletcher last week.
    Hmm...I guess I'm confused too. If Honda sells mostly 4-cylinder Accords, why don't they make a 4-cylinder Accord Hybrid? It'd be cheaper than the current V6 Accord Hybrid, and it'd have better fuel economy. Instead, the Accord Hybrid is a V6 and is advertised as a "performance hybrid"...without any significant gas mileage increase over the regular (i.e., non-hybrid) 4-cylinder Accord. There's no 4-cylinder Accord "Economy Hybrid" version.

Ok, back to the HHR topic...I think the HHR should be fine for everyday driving with any of the available engines. Of course, many people may prefer to pay more for a bigger engine, but usually at the expense of fuel economy.

Hmmm...I just noticed that Chevy has identical fuel economy estimates for the 2 engines (22/30). Seems strange, since I thought that higher horsepower usually results in lower fuel economy.
  • vtm37vtm37 Member Posts: 2
    Maryland's DMV controls the classification of cars and trucks and decided it was a truck probably because they can get more tag money.
  • vtm37vtm37 Member Posts: 2
    The buying prices range from the 16k to 24k fully loaded
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    'Hmmm...I just noticed that Chevy has identical fuel economy estimates for the 2 engines (22/30). Seems strange, since I thought that higher horsepower usually results in lower fuel economy'

I think the vvt technology has something to due with that, larger displacement, more ponies, and efficient all in one package
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    Actually, I've had 34.6 mpg (manually calculated) with steady-state highway driving with my 2004 Malibu LT sedan w/3500 V-6. If you're seeing the same number in the same situation with the Ecotec 4 I'd say that in this case getting the 6 is justifiable.

In mixed driving I personally see between 30 and 32 mpg routinely. The worst tank we've ever had was almost 24 mpg, and included a lot of that bumper to bumper stoplight driving and idling, back during last Christmas shopping season. :)
  • pointatobpointatob Member Posts: 30
    fyi,

i noticed on kelly bb website that they list the gas mileage for the base engine 2006 HHR at 22 / 27...
  • parky129parky129 Member Posts: 50
    Real world gas mileage is more important than an EPA estimate, I am getting from 28 -31 MPG US depending on whether I am driving in city or on highway. !000mo on 2.4 LT2 with automatic trans. :)
    KBB is wrong. Correct numbers are 22/30. the outside sites often have wrong data.

http://www.chevrolet.com/hhr/specifications/
    Wow! 28 MPG city is as good as an economy car with a 1.8 liter engine or smaller!
    To do this with a 2.4 liter engine, with considerably more weight is nothing short of a miracle. That car is a keeper. I would have guessed around 18 to 22 - 20 avg. for in town.

Loren
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    I'm glad that the HHR comes with fuel-efficient 4-cylinders (22/30 MPG, according to Chevy).

I was glad, too, thinking that the HHR might be a viable replacement for the supposedly-to-be-discontinued Malibu Maxx. But then I learned that the 2.4 engine is supposed to run on premium if there is a pinging problem...and I bet there will be.

That, plus the power issue make me wonder: Why don't they drop a V6 into the HHR? The way I look at it, premium fuel in a 4 cylinder defeats the economy advantage; you might as well just have the thirstier engine in the first place. (And the 3.5 in my Maxx isn't thirsty at all...26 MPG overall).

Just my thoughts.
    If you read the owners comments above those who are running regular are having no problems. Pinging is a thing of the past with modern engine/computer technology. Premium is for those who want a bit more performance.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    Both the PT and HHR are considered trucks in classification, even though they don't need truck license plates. This is an intended advantage for the automaker in that it raises their overall truck mileage as a whole, enabling them to avoid gas guzzler taxes when they have a fleet of trucks that can't make the grade. The Ford Escape, Chevy Equinox, Toyota Rav 4, and others also help out with the manufactures truck mileage.
    That will of course be gone for 2008. New rules.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/articles/050912/12suv.div.htm
    Yup, the rules are changing. With the new rules, the worry seems to be that instead of encouraging the improvement of fuel economy, the rules might just encourage manufacturers to make all of their cars a few inches bigger. Making the cars bigger will put them up into a bigger category than they're currently in, and the bigger category has lower fuel economy requirements. It'd be nice if there was a system that didn't reward manufacturers for making cars bigger and bigger.
    agreed. I am sure some type of amendment will be put in place to fix that problem. Then again perhaps the buying public will still pick a truck for the size they need and not care what the government says. Per the article they will all have to up the MPG to meet the requirements.
  • onlyagirlonlyagirl Member Posts: 45
    have never seen this hhr....how many people does it seat? 5? or is there a 3rd seat in the back?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    All you ever wanted to know about the HHR starts here: 2006 Chevrolet HHR Styles.
    gee i need help a'm i doing some thing wrong? i see all these 26 to 30 mpg ratesing in the city driving i'm staying off the gas and driving VERY casually and havent been near those mpg"s i'm on my 3rd fill up and can do no better than a tight 20. must be some thing wrong with my figureing or those that are getting hi 20's and 30's. i have a little over 800 miles on odometer. a'm i expecting to much to soon?
    I walked over to a local dealer while I was waiting for a pizza pickup and saw a nice black HHR on their lot. When I looked at the Monrony sticker on the window I couldn't believe what I saw. This vehicle must have had every option available from Chevy. It retailed for $24,640 give or take. I would have knocked off quite a bit of those options if it was me. I wouldn't doubt that it will be gone off the lot this weekend though.
    Even better, go to Chevrolet's website for more technical information including accessories available. It will seat 5 normal size adults comfortably, but doesn't have enough room for a third row seat. It is about 7" longer and 2" wider than it's rival PT Cruiser.

http://www.chevrolet.com/hhr
    I suspect that some of the people reporting very high mileage are reporting it based on the computer readout on the dash, which is a short term average. For example, while steady state cruising you can see some pretty high numbers on cars that report like this. On the other hand, when driving on city streets, the number can look pretty miserable (on a test drive in a Cobalt, it was showing 14 mpg). The trick is the average.

You need to either keep a total of your gas and mileage per tank and then average them, or use the same pump and car orientation (in case there is a slope) and fill by "topping off" three times (you have to push the gas nozzle all the way in and let the automatic shut off determine when enough is enough - don't top off by pulling the nozzle part way out). This gives a fairly consistent fill, according to my Ford owner's manual, then you use a calculateor to figure your mileage on that tank (doing it in your head involves too much rounding off, usually, and can skew your numbers).

With my former base model PT Cruiser with an automatic, my initial tanks were 26 mpg while I babied it, but when I drove it more aggressively (which with that car with that weight you pretty much have to do) my mileage dropped to 23-24. I hear Chevy's are more efficient, but the people at DMC aren't dummies - I got great mileage with three different Neons, which have the same basic engine, so I suspect the real problem is a combination of the auto, the weight, and the aerodynamics.

On the other hand, I now have a CR-V with a 2.4 and 5 speed auto, and easily get 26 mpg on freeway trips, occasionally more, so there is some room for efficiency variations (the CR-V weighs about the same but has a larger, blockier aerodynamic profile).

BTW, 20 mp on heavy city driving is good, according to car magazine tests and Consumer Reports tests of similar weight vehicles in past road tests. Take your HHR on the open road and see what your computer reads back (if you have a mpg readout).
    yes i do all that never take for granted the mpg on the dash it doesnt compute rite, i always take the mileage and us a calcutalor because i always want a true mileage per gallon. the computer on the dash is off, has anyone also noticed the average mile per hour seems to be always the same. mine shows 24 milers per hour even tho i go on the free way, how can this be? i just traded a sienna04 for this car beginning to wonder if it was the rite thing. i was looking to get better mpg then i was with the sienna, the sienna started to fail me on mpg, only had 32,000 miles on sienna, mileage on the road with the sienna was only 24 mpg on open road .
    You need to reset the miles traveled. Once you get to some high mileage it will never change unless you drive to Florida or somewhere far away or crawl around at 2 MPH for ever. Your average speed is awful slow. You must do a lot of slow city driving and sitting in traffic jams. Do you live in California? ;) I would think most folks would have an average of around 40 if they do a normal city/freeway split.

Maybe you have something wrong? No way you can have an average 24 MPH unless you do all city driving and never go over 45 MPH. No wonder your MPG is so low, it's all city.
    FYI, the trip computer in my 04 Malibu Maxx usually reads about 1 - 2 MPG higher than my actual calculated mileage in city driving. On long highway trips the error jumps to about 3 MPG higher than actual.

But my overall MPG is 26, evenly split between stop and go suburban driving and long trips...almost exactly what the EPA quotes for this car (22 city/30 highway). So I'm surprised that the HHR would do worse. :(
  • hughesjayhughesjay Member Posts: 3
    I have a chevy TB and GMC Envoy and for the money this new HHR I got is perfect, I was worried it would be loud on the road and ride like an econo box, but have been very surprised, I know you are thinkin' then why did you buy - well because it looks good of course! But to my great joy it rides nearly as well as my Envoy and is just as quiet and has XM with a booming system. I think GM has a hit on their hands - I hope it helps pull them out of the rutt they are in.

For the price of high teens low 20 you get anything you can think of including power and comfort. Anyone wanting someting nice with great gas mileage this is the one.

Now if I can just figure out what HHR means? :D
    " For the price of high teens low 20 you get anything you can think of including power and comfort. Anyone wanting something nice with great gas mileage this is the one.

Now if I can just figure out what HHR means? "

::::::::::::::::::: end quote ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Depends on what you consider great gas mileage. Compared to an SUV, it is great.
    Should get 20 to 29 depending on how driven, and other conditions. That is pretty darn good compared to SUV gas hogs. Closer to the smaller SUVs like the Tribute.

The HHR is Heritage High Roof.

The car is a proven hit, as it has been out in the PT form for five years now, with good sales, and well liked for its utility, style, and fun.

Loren
    HHR = Heritage High Roof

Really! In fact, I think I read that in the Edmunds review of this car...er, SUV or whatever. The heritage part is supposed to have something to do with its resemblance of the 1949 Chevy Suburban wagon; the high roof part...well that's self explanatory
    http://www.stationwagon.com/gallery/1949_Chevy_Styleline_DeLuxe.html
    Looks a bit like an HHR. I think the front reminds me of the family '50, I think it was,
    Chevy pickup truck. What a "cute" little show truck the HHR-T ( truck ) would be.
    Can I be CEO at GM for a day? OK, then DamlierChrysler, as it may be around a bit longer. :blush:

Loren
  • daslayerloverdaslayerlover Member Posts: 1
    I'm right there with you on the low mileage, 20.3 after 486 miles. I drive in the real world, So. Cal freeways or parking lots if you will. Chevy even puts the disclaimer on the window sticker that 19 mpg can be normal for these. Maybe everyone else lives in a less populated place, because I drive in freeway traffic 35 miles each way, at varied speeds, but mainly stop and go all the way. Not convinced I will see 30mpg, but will know this week when I hit the road for Vegas. I'll post after to let you know if it improved with all highway driving. I would love it if my HHR got 30, but not sure it will happen with my commute.