Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet HHR

Comments

• Options
    exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    WAIT!

Try another dealership, or meybe walk into it and talk to them in person. The HHR is better than the scion. The Xb and Xa both look cheap. This car looks at least 5K more expensive than it is. Only the Tc loooks nice in the scion line.

The HHR is so worth it, just try one more time, walk into the dealership and demand your $17,000!
  • Options
    beliverbeliver Member Posts: 155
    After driving the 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara and a Kia Sportage I am not so stricken with the HHR. For about the same money, or less, many features including a V-6 and air bags up the wazoo, stability control and no contest warranty does not leave much to love in the HHR unless the "retro styling" is a must have feature. Little wife also was impressed by the low interior noise (perceived or actual ?) on both compared to higher wind / road noise on the HHR. Gotta take a step back and think about the whole deal.

believer
  • Options
    exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    I don't think HHR is a competitior to those, especially the grand vitarra, isn't that in the Chevy Equinox league?
  • Options
    m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    " After driving the 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara and a Kia Sportage I am not so stricken with the HHR. For about the same money, or less, many features including a V-6 and air bags up the wazoo, stability control and no contest warranty does not leave much to love in the HHR unless the "retro styling" is a must have feature. Little wife also was impressed by the low interior noise (perceived or actual ?) on both compared to higher wind / road noise on the HHR. Gotta take a step back and think about the whole deal. "
    ~~~~~~~~~~~end quote~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be sure to see the whole picture. See how many other dealers are in the local area. And the resale value...
    http://www.intellichoice.com/reports/vehicleReport/vehicle_nmb/16610/type/new/year/2005/ma- ke/Suzuki/model/Grand%20Vitara
    BTW, air bags up the wazoo sounds painful :D As for stability control, be sure to consider why this is needed, as in higher profile car which was prone to roll -- is that the reason here? If there are two of you making the decision, and are not so sure about a car, maybe a rental of that car on the weekend would help?

Have fun, Loren
  • Options
    royproyp Member Posts: 1
    The HHR is a GREAT vehicle.We've had our HHR over a month and have gone to Colorado in it.The gas consumption was really good.(31.8MPG Hwy)Also checked it around town several times and it varies from 24.5 to 27MPG.The interior it a little narrow compared to what we are used to but leg room and head room is really comfortable.However my one and only complaint is that we still don't have the floor mats that are standard equipment.The dealer is not at fault on this and every time the dealer calls Chevy about these floor mats they are told that they are on order.Boy! if these floor mats take longer to make than the HHR they must really be something! All HHRs delivered to this dealer were delivered without floormats.This is the fault of Cheverolet.Our dealership is El Dorado Cheverolet of McKinney,Tx.and they have been super. I've bought 2 other vehicles from them in the past and all of my cars including those I didn't buy from them have been serviced and/or repaired by them.I've always been satisfied. Roy
  • Options
    bsidbsid Member Posts: 3
    I'm awaiting delivery of a fully loaded black HHR 2LT. I'm thrilled with the car with one exception - it has a spoiler instead of chrome roof rails. I'm wondering if the spoiler is removeable. I still have veto power on the deal but it'll be a challenge to find a replacement car, or I'll have to order. Don't wanna wait.

Thanks
    -b
  • Options
    How ironic. I'm buying my HHR from El Dorado! I posted right after you about the spoiler.

Glad to hear you are happy.

-b
  • Options
    micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I take it the mileage you are posting is from the on-board computer, right? In my experience on board computers don't "average" very well. It's hard to believe that your in town mileage is 24.5-27 unless you are driving 40 for a stretch (no stoplights or stop signs etc.) and check the computer. For my PT Cruiser, I got as little as 22 mpg with combined city and highway mileage and the most was 24-25 on long interstate trips. With my current CR-V on the same combined city and highway route, we get 24-25 and on long interstate that moves up to 27-28; I drive with a light foot.

My mileage calculation routine is like this:

Fill up until automatic shutoff by the pump, then ram the nozzle down into the filler tube as far as it will go, with the springs on the pump handle compressed, and do one "top off." It's important not to retract the nozzle from the filler tube or you will over-fill and either spill gas or set off the dreaded CEL (check engine light).

I then drive until the low fuel warning light comes on, then go back to the same pump and compare mileage against gallons, using a calculator because it's those pesky decimals that can inflate or deflate mileage.

When I am on long trips, I look for very flat spots (a slight lean of your vehicle can throw off measurement a lot) to refill (some stations have one or two flat spots next to their pumps and a couple with slight grades). I use the same "fill to auto shut off, then one top off with the filler pipe held in tightly" technique to get the most uniform fill possible. Since I am not using the same pump as I do during my urban commute, I average tanks (usually on a road trip there are three or four refills).

In short - the on board computer is not a reliable "overall mileage" computer. It has to choose a window of time to average. On some old "instantaneous" mileage computers I would see mileage in the mid to high 30's on cars that really averaged about 18 mpg.

If you look at an early post in this forum, one heavy city driver was appalled at getting "only" 17-18 mpg. Other people reporting mileage are closer to what you report, but I think what is going on is reliance on the on-board computer.

How bad can city mileage be? Well, when I test drove a Cobalt this spring, it was reporting 14 mpg on the test drive, based on a 5 mile loop on city streets that included one on-ramp to next off-ramp freeway spring. This on a car that Consumer Reports said "Overall fuel economy of 23 mpg is unimpressive" - but which, on their more expanded report, turned in 15 mpg city, 35 highway, and 29 mpg on a 150 mile trip. So your mileage is heavily linked to the amount of city driving you do - even a steady state 35 mpg on the highway degrades to 29 mpg on a 150 trip which includes getting to, and back from, the freeway - even a little street driving pushes the average way down.
  • Options
    cougar7cougar7 Member Posts: 9
    i saw an 05 pt cruiser midlevel trim for about $9000-10000. and i also checked out the HHR LS and it was about $19000. i like HHR better but the price difference is too much. i wish chevy had reduced the price on HHR. they have to reduce the price to compete with pt cruiser better.
  • Options
    62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    Come on, the tired old PT starts at over $14,500 with a real bare bones vehicle while the brand new HHR starts at under $16000 with more standard equipment. PT is getting harder and harder to give away.
  • Options
    woody68rswoody68rs Member Posts: 14
    Our HHR has the roof rails and the spoiler, maybe you can have the rails added.

http://nkyfba.homeip.net/modules/Gallery/albums/userpics/DSCF0063.JPG

There's a link to a picture.I would have just posted the pic, but it is formatted too large.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    Is that a Greater Cincinnati area mall/shopping center? I keep trying to place the overpass and _all_ the restaurants and store signs in the background.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    gogophers1gogophers1 Member Posts: 218
    i saw an 05 pt cruiser midlevel trim for about $9000-10000.

I knew it was just a matter of time. First, it was air conditioning. Apparently now you don't even get seats and a heater. If Chrysler keeps decontenting the PT at this rate, pretty soon all you'll get is a bag of bolts, a roll of sheet metal and an assembly guide.
  • Options
    LOLWROF! Good one.

• Options
    61116111 Member Posts: 13
    I will agree the on board computer is off slightly but mine is actually .5 MPG low.
    I have filled my HHR 3 times so far I get 26.3 MPG "yes thats using Miles/Gals" now thats in Omaha NE all city driving. Anyway thats 15MPG more than my expedition, so I am very happy with the HHR.
    My wifes Town&Country gets right at 20 MPG and its a fat pig with a large V6 I dont know why its hard to believe a smaller HHR gets from 24-27.
    I understand that if I drove in down town phoenix or chicago my MPG would be lower thats simple math.

I forgot, 2.4 Automatic.
  • Options
    parky129parky129 Member Posts: 50
    2006 HHR 2LT 2.4 engine Automatic, just over 3000 mi. Am getting 28MPG US around town driving Regular 87 octane gasoline. Hasn't been below 26.5 yet in any fillup situation, onboard computer is accurate if you reset it each fillup. I have been using actual gas in mileage out method, but onboard is accurate with reset at fillup.
    PT comparison is futile as the HHR is better equipped at any level of comparison. :)
  • Options
    Thanks to 6111 and parky129 for the confirmation of mileage. Folks, that's pretty darn good mileage - I could live with that. If you are patient and read the posts on the PT Cruiser forum, you will discover that people are finally 'fessing up to the much lower than expected mileage on the PT Cruiser.

I thought it was just an issue of stick vs. automatic, light car vs. heavier, less aerodynamic vehicle - but our 2005 CR-V gives us much better mileage than we got from the PT Cruiser. And its a heavier, bulkier vehicle than a PT Cruiser.

I was already leaning more towards an HHR than a PT as a future vehicle replacement, and your comments help me.

If there are any stick shift owners out there who have a few miles to report, let us know!
  • Options
    retro49retro49 Member Posts: 3
    In regards to your spoiler, check with your dealer. I believe the spoiler is shipped seperately from the car, and the dealer has to drill the holes and mount it. Thay should be able to stop the tech from doing so. If they can, get a credit for the spoiler, or the spoiler itself. Might be a good e-bay item. Personally, I prefer the spoiler with no roof racks. I have one ordered this way. Good luck.
  • Options
    woody68rswoody68rs Member Posts: 14
    Actually it is, kinda... It's Champion Windows Field in Florence, where the Freedom play baseball.
  • Options
    m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Come on, the tired old PT starts at over $14,500 with a real bare bones vehicle while the brand new HHR starts at under $16000 with more standard equipment. PT is getting harder and harder to give away.

Hummm, no, not really. Try out the door price, with air conditioning. The PT has far more punch to the styling. True, if you want a more conservative style, go for the HHR. It is a good car. PTs seem to still be selling. Personally, the 2005 looks better than the 2006, and some are still available. Shop them both and see how the price compares. You may find the original is not all that bad a deal. As for gas mileage, expect anywhere from low 20's in town, to around 24-26 on the freeway, with only an occasional 29+MPG on longer runs. And that is with a stick. With an automatic, knock off a couple MPG. So IF these amazing MPG figures posted here for HHRs is common, that is a very big plus for the HHR over the PT. Especially for those driving many miles a year. My tires are not up to the 35# pressure, so once I add more air tomorrow, I will do another mileage run to see if MPG improves. I think what I have gotten so far gives with other PTs with a stick. As for the HHR being brand new, well we all know the history.

Loren
  • Options
    jimw0238jimw0238 Member Posts: 65
    well, finally got tired of debating between hhr, pt, or xb.
    chevy kept jerking me around demanding a deposit and insisting that i have to pay $22,500 for a vehicle that has a sticker of $17,000. they claimed it was due to demand and kept saying "take it or leave it".
    well, weighing in cost factor with my daily mileage of 60+ miles a day, i left it!
    i don't think it's right for them to try and rip us off. the pt looks really nice- though i didn't care for the dash change for 06' and the auto mileage is bad for highway driving. the end decision was Scions XB, it was $15,300 and gets 34 miles to gallon on highway with auto. it too looks different in its own way. to each there own, that's why we are each different.
    i found this car to be a breath of fresh air and it handles really well. if your considering possible alternatives and want cargo space and good mileage - but don't need a lot of ponies.....then i would recommend at least giving the XB a look! :shades:
  • Options
    mihhrmihhr Member Posts: 6
    Hello everybody. I posted here a couple of times and look in occasionally. I'd probably look here more often if there was more HHR related content... aftermarket add-ons, customizing ideas, horsepower and suspension mods, etc.

Instead, there seems to be a lot of space taken up by people who don't seem to have any interest in the HHR. I haven't tried it but wouldn't be suprised to hit this site by Googling "PT Cruiser."

Anyway, I have a couple thousand on mine and love it more every day. My subdivision dumps onto a main thoroughfare and i have learned to just pull the automatic down to the middle position and floor it. The response is pleasing and easily allows me to get up to speed without delaying anybody.

I am completely satisfied with the high end stereo. Even the hideaway clothes hangers are cool. And bonus, the smooth lines and low profile make washing easy.

Since there seems to be a lot of interest in milage, here's my experience: Always over 25 mpg in mixed city/county/state highway driving. 26.2 into a headwind this afternoon of a freeway and 32.2 with the tailwind. Usually on the freeway an average of 28 to 29 mpg overall. BTW, this is at 75 to 80 indicated. Around town I accelerate "briskly." I might be able to squeeze a little more out of the milage by being more conservative, but I think the HHR looks cool gong fast. :)

I hope HHR owners and interested parties take back this board. It could be a good place to keep in touch.
  • Options
    I agree with your assessment of the HHR, did you know that the Intermediate range is also a help in maintaining speed on uphill sections of the road in cruise control. Just slip nto INt range just upon approach and it will usually climb the hill with either minimal or no down shifts. This is recomended in owners manual, BTW.
    I agree also with the takeover by HHR non owners voicing their opinions on a subject they are not in touch with, if you don't own one you don't know them well enough to knock them. Drive a HHR and see for your self what we are enjoying as Owners of this wonderful automobile. :)
  • Options
    hhrboyhhrboy Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2.2 liter HHR with the automatic transmission.. At what RPM should my car be revving at when crusing at 65 MPH? Thanks
  • Options
  • Options
    hhrboyhhrboy Member Posts: 2
    Well, could someone check their RPM gauge and tell me at what RPM their HHR is cruising at when driving 65 MPH.. thank you..
  • Options
    hhr06hhr06 Member Posts: 47
    what is that white thing on ground in back of car? did air bag explode? how much damage?
  • Options
    What's the story on this picture?

• Options
    hhr06hhr06 Member Posts: 47
    my guess is good luck if any damage. is there parts to fix it if damaged?
    or r they crying. [damn tree]
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    That would be a really weird place for an air bag :)

Since it looks like that branch broke off of the tree, and the HHR is parked on the grass, I'm guessing that someone was parking the car in that spot to take a great picture of it... just in time to have a tree "shed" on top of it. Talk about bad timing!! :cry:
  • Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Actually that is a pic of the west coast customs HHR at the Cranbrook Concours show in Michigan in July. I never heard how badly it was damaged, but another exhibiter was injured by the falling limb.
  • Options
    mihhrmihhr Member Posts: 6
    Ouch! I hope some it wasn't caused by some photog trying to get a "unique perspective" shot. :blush:

This is an example of why former Alaska Governor Wally Hickel said "You can't just let nature run wild!" (He was referring to aerial wolf hunting at the time).
  • Options
    Thank You! My hubby just talked to the dealer and sure enough, the spoiler, roof rails and running boards all come with the car but not attached. Dealer will hold the spoiler off and is waiting on word from me on the running boards. No rails came with this car so those will be ordered.

So, running boards or no running boards? It seems to me to "complete" the look of the car but hubby prefers without since he thinks they take away from the killer look of the wheel wells/fenders (or whatever you call the bulges ;) ).

-b
  • Options
    sandy06sandy06 Member Posts: 6
    I bought HHR LS with auto tranny as only option in July. Wanted the convenience of SUV and the projected mileage but I had not been able to get over 16 in town and 22 on the highway. UNTIL today. I had a couple of replies to my post here earlier and several people told me to just give it a little more time. Well I drove it a bit more aggressive the last few weeks and just got back from a short highway trip and got 32.4 mpg. I am thrilled because I truly love the styling of these vehicles. They are a love 'em or hate 'em vehicle I think, but I sure have gotten alot of compliments. I was concerned enough that I considered trading it back in until the dealer offered $12.000. Ouch! I could not take that much of a loss. So patience has paid off. I have just turned 2,000 miles. If anyone finds a place that has add on accessories for these I hope that they let everyone here know. I would really like to find some dash overlay in blue or brushed aluminum.
  • Options
    retro49retro49 Member Posts: 3
    I had the same dilemma on the running boards, and opted for them. I think it makes the car look lower, and completes the retro look.
  • Options
    I got my dash trim kit at/ http://www.wooddashexperts.com/customer/home.php?cat=292
    I got the walnut kit and it really dresses up the HHR. :)
  • Options
    An addendum to message sent: Do you check mileage with the fill quantity/mileage traveled math. or do you use the OBD mileage? The OBD mileage calculation is accurate to 1/2 MPG if you reset it each fillup, simply press reset when MPG display is up when engine is off.It will start over again calculating MPG traveled.
  • Options
    elisabeth129elisabeth129 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for posting your info on the HHR. I've been waiting for mine for over 6 weeks and I'm starting to have buyers remorse! It's good to know that someone who's actually been driving their HHR really likes it.
  • Options
    Buyers remorse?? You dont even have it yet. In over 700 posts on this forum you just found out people seem to really like the HHR! If you are so nervous about it why don't you go rent one for a weekend. It's just a car, it's not like you are on the waiting list for a kidney. Relax.
  • Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Hhmm on the running boards. If you don't order them, I believe there is another trim piece that covers the area where boards are attached. If you order with running boards, you may be missing that piece. I would ask about that,
  • Options
    wac1wac1 Member Posts: 1
    DEMAND DIES DOWN????????????????
    IS THE DEMAND UP? HERE IN CT I CAN FIND 11 HHRS IN LESS THEN 15 MILES BUT ON 5 SPEEDS AND MOST ARE GRAY
  • Options
    kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    Interesting that the 4 cylinder HHR gets poorer mileage than the V6 Malibu Maxx. Most maxx folks I know, including me, get the same mileage as the HHR and we have another 40 Hp or so.

As for stuff on order, it takes forever to get replacement glass for the Maxx. Sorry to hear part delays are plagueing HHR as well.

As for the ripoff prices some dealers are trying to get for this new model; SOSO (same old same old). For new buyers, wait a few months or so. You'll get a better made car and maybe less fun and games from the dealer.
  • Options
    sandy06sandy06 Member Posts: 6
    Wait on it to come in. You won't be sorry. I had buyers remorse after about 6-9 weeks of ownership, BUT then I took the advice of a couple a people in this forum and drove it aggressively and I would not part with it at all. I just got back from a day out driving in the mountains and it is alot of fun to drive. I am getting better mileage and believe that as I get more miles it will be better. Let us know what you think after it arrives and you try it out for a week or so.
  • Options
    poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I have noticed that with the Ford GT Mustang as well. They say only 6 cylinder models are available because of the V8 demand, but around here in Illinois I see several dealerships with GT V8 models waiting for customers.

It is true, the HHR is selling more than they can make. In fact I recently read that they will double the building capacity soon, but Lutz doesn't want to get into the problems that the PT has with it selling like hot cakes, and now they are slow movers with one plant closing because of it. The HHR here in Northern Illinois thus far spends no more than a few days on a lot, if that.
  • Options
    vernm1vernm1 Member Posts: 1
    You got that right. I bought mine on August 29th and it was involved in an Accident on August 30th. It is in the Chevy body shop awaiting a hood. It has been a month and a half so far.
  • Options
    allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    I've noticed that 2.4L models are very rare, at least here in the Atlanta area. The few I've seen in dealer inventory were completely loaded LT models that stickered for around $23k.

I wonder if it's just dealers aren't ordering many of them or if there aren't a lot of 2.4L engines available for the HHR yet?

I'd be seriously tempted by an LT 2.4L/5-speed with just XM radio and the chrome appearance package. When I priced one on the Chevrolet website, it came out to $18,555. A lot better than $23k. Although I hope eventually they'll start selling under MSRP.

Anyone have the 2.4L or either engine with the 5-speed manual? I test drove a 2.2L automatic about two months ago (only one they had on the lot) and it just didn't have enough power for my driving style. I'd like to know what opinions anyone has of the manual transmission.
  • Options
    The bad news is, you'll never find what you want. The good news is, GM is quite good about ordering cars and getting them built relatively fast to your order. One automotive writer wondered out loud why more people don't order cars, since (despite eager to sell dealers' protests) the prices and discounts are the same. GM has some incentives until December 31. Plenty of time to order. You are generally, in most states, under no legal requirement to buy once the car hits the lot.

Have it your way - it's a definite advantage of buying domestic cars.
  • Options
    beliverbeliver Member Posts: 155
    micweb: You'd think they would have no aversion to special orders as they would be paying minimal "floor plan" costs for a quick turn over. probably the real reason for the "buy today" mentality is that the sales rep does not get his / her commish until the car is delivered. Too much opportunity to get "buyers remorse" before the thing is built and delivered or a better deal is found @ another dealer.

believer
  • Options
    62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    Any dealer I have been to has welcomed the chance to special order a car. Yes they do go thru their stock to see if one is close first.
  • Options
    Acceleration at least as good as my former PT Cruiser with auto, but quieter and smoother. Very quiet cabin, what I expected from the new Ford Fusion (but didn't get). Very comfy ride. Lot of body lean and understeer on a sweeping curve on ramp; definitely not a canyon carver.

So, at this point it looks like I can get a high mileage semi-sports car (certainly better than an old Austin Healy Sprite) in the form of a Cobalt Coupe with stick shift or new Civic Coupe with stick shift; or a family car that will be a quieter commuter for me (than a Focus ZX3) with reasonable pickup and ride with stick shift, but not much fun in the curves.

Ah, decisions. At least I know the 2.2 isn't underwhelming in the HHR, even with an automatic; the HHR cabin does not feel claustrophobic; and the HHR seating position is comfortable.

All these vehicles are around $17k in lightly optioned (ABS, side curtain airbags) format. Of course I'd have to order, given my desire for the "base" model but with safety options.