Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Bad experience after an oil change

hsamanthsamant Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Toyota
I took my new 3 month old '04 Corolla for an oil change last week, to a "reputed" national tire dealership, that also does regular maintenance stuff.

The next day, as I am driving down the freeway, I see a lot of smoke coming out for under the hood. I pulled over, opened the hood and see the oil filler cap missing. Obviously, the mechanic who did the oil change, screwed up. In addition to the smoke, the entire engine area under the hood is spattered with oil, and all messed up. Luckily, the engine did not run out of oil, and I was able to make my way to a spare parts store to refill the oil, and buy a new cap.

My questions are:
Do I need to do check for any damage -can the oil cause any long term to the wires, pipes, hoses, firewall?

How can I best screw the "m*&^%#$&#*&r" who did this to me? I was extremely lucky to get away without any major damage to the engine. However, mechanics who cannot screw a oil filler cap right, need to be kept away from all cars, permanently.

BTW, the establishment in question a national tire dealership associated with all those Ford Explorer rollovers.

Comments

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    and already the whole engine compartment is spattered with oil. This is an unacceptable omission on their part, and you are right, the damage could have been significantly worse. At the very least I would go back and hit them up for a steam cleaning under the hood.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    call your local ActionEyewitnessHomeTeamLeader News number... before you get the mess cleaned up.

many of those service/tire outfits are franchised, not company-owned, but both types of stores exist.

we had one (wings, not fire) that had tech incompetence issues in the late 90s closed down after one of our local investigative report units got on 'em. seems nobody came in any more after the story appeared...
  • mbukukanyaumbukukanyau Member Posts: 200
    Always take your car to Toyota Dealership. I have a 2002 Corolla, $24.00 per regular oil change at Kearny Mesa Toyota San Diego!

Life is Blissful
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    Why not just take the car back to them and see what they will do for you? People make mistakes all of the time, why is it when some one who works on a car makes a mistake they are belittled as not worthy of touching a car ever again?

My old dealer over filled my car with oil so this can happen any where. This is just how things go in the real world.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I am no fan of the mass merchants. They tend to hire cheap help and they have high turnover.

And, they don't "know" your car like a dealer does.

Still, the Toyota dealership could have left the cap off as well.
    you won't have major issues. you are your own final inspector.
  • hsamanthsamant Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for all your suggestions.

I did go back to the Firestone Manager - he was extremely apologetic, and offered to refund me for the oil change and the new cap, and clean up the engine.

I had initially thought about reporting the matter to the Firestone Customer Service center and other consumer groups - however, for now I have decided against doing that - (I would have done it if the operator had denied any wrongdoing or played nasty!)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You have to give human beings some slack. If they admit their error and rectify it, you are already in an earthly paradise. By allowing slack, and giving people a chance to "do the right thing", you encourage, I think, this type of behavior.

If you come in guns blazing before anyone has had a chance to make things right, you just start a war.

Now, if the other party won't step up to the plate, sure, you can start pushing.

I still go to a tire shop that forgot to tighten the lugs on my friend's car, causing the wheel to fall off. But they made good on everything, and instituted better procedures for checking this sort of thing, and I'm fine with that.
  • zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    happened to me...

went to Wal-Mart for shopping for our big party this weekend and got my oil changed. First the "new guy" took 20 minutes writing up the guy in front of me, had to redo it after the guy left, then didn't assign a guy to swap his battery until the guy RETURNED an hour later. He took 20 minutes writing me up using his little palm pilot thingy that obviously had him confused and beaten.

I use 5W30 Mobil 1, and when I read the invoice on pick-up, I noted they used 20W50 "supertech" (walmart oil) - I was mad - we had $150 worth of meat that wasn't refridgerated and now they had to pull my car in and change the oil to what I specified.

They did that, and 20 minutes later we loaded the car - something told me to check the oil, although I was in a hurry. I usually do, but we needed to get home. I popped the hood and found the oil cap sitting on top of the intake manifold, with a bit of oil blown onto the hood liner, valve cover, and running down the exhaust manifold and turbo housing.

I blew my stack - they checked everything over, allowed me to go into the undercar bay to check everything myself...

Just to think - I had a 30 mile ride - I'm guessing I would've gotten 10 miles or so before Wal-Mart bought me a new motor - and it wouldn't be a reman!
    WHY in the world, would you take your car to Wal-Mart for an oil change??

Just curious...
    the closest dealer is 15 miles away. I've never had any problems with Wal-Mart, and I always check teh paperwork closely and check for leaks and the oil level after the service.

This time, it paid off.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    ....I would have imagined you would go to a friends's house with a sixpack, and do stuff like this over there!

You are welcome to come over to my place if you are ever up in western NY if you need an oil change!
    with a garage and ramps, but I always end of working on his car or his kid's car (trashed through abuse) instead of mine.

You're very accurate in your assumption, though. When I was in the Air Force, I was "the car guy" in my Security Police unit. For a long time, I gave up weekends and evenings to help people with their vehicles. I'd charge a 6-pack or a case, depending on the job.

When I complained to my wife that I didn't have much time off, she recommended I start charging actual money.

I did, and suddenly had much more free time....

Still, to get a 4-wheel brake job or a major tune up with tranny service and oil change for $50 plus parts is a bargain.
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    If you were the one who was going to change the oil in a customers car, what would you expect to be paid?

Changing oil is not a difficult job. People really don't want high school kids working on their car. Why would a person want to change oil for a living with such low pay?

I think that a minimum wage job just give minimum results or less.
  • rae52rae52 Member Posts: 102
    Zues, I've read your posts in various forums here on Edmunds for a long time, and, I've got tell you that I'm not surprised. The old saying "you get what you pay for" is so true!
    At least you caught the problems before a major catastrophe occurred

Have a nice holiday!
  • rae52rae52 Member Posts: 102
    zues, a few years ago, I went to the Walmart on Rt22 in Phillipsburg, NJ and walked into their service write-up area and I noticed a sign that stated if there are any problems as a result of them doing an oil change, they will ONLY refund the cost of the oil change! Were you (or Isell) aware of this policy?
    but after checking things and finding the oil cap off, I demanded that I look at the oil filter and drain plug. I found out it's their policy to use blue anti-seize on the filter and drain plug so they can tell if the plug or filter had been tampered with....

On your note of "a sign that stated if there are any problems as a result of them doing an oil change, they will ONLY refund the cost of the oil change", that may scare a few people into letting Wally World "make the problem go away", but Federal and state laws supercede their goofy little sign.

No amounts of signs can relieve them from implied warranty of merchantability and the Bureau of Automotive Repair regulations.
    They actually have a sign that says this?

So...

" If we leave your drain plug loose and it falls out on the freeway causing the engine to sieze, we will only refund the price of the oil change"

Really!
    thing in rae's state - I'll look the next time I'm there.

I'm sorry, but if you cause my engine to fail, you're buying me a new one, not a reman (my car is fairly now, not a 150,000-mile beater), and I'll enjoy the rental car you're paying for while mine is in the shop.
  • vidtechvidtech Member Posts: 212
    i am surprised to see all the oil change enthusiates who trust someone else to change their oil.especially the wal mart harvard graduates.as far as the victim with the missing oil fill cap,i would hate to see what your belts and hoses turn into in a short time.
    I'm not a victim, and living in townhouse with no garage, I can't do my own oil changes, although I have nearly ever since I've been driving - drives me nuts.

Considering the car was only moved 30 feet or so, then parked, there was only a couple of drops of oil on the valve cover. No damage to belts. Not that motor oil is like acid to belts anyway - make them slip and squeal maybe, but nothing else.
    belts are a little more resistant to oil.last time i spilled oil onto one of my radiator hoses it turned soft and mushy.nothing i would want to rely on.
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    mbukukanyau,
    Always take your car to Toyota Dealership.
    Why? How is that helpful advice and why should you Always take your car to a dealer, no matter what brand it is?
    I totally disagree with that comment.
    As was stated, oil change ain't rocket science. Find a good reputable independant shop, they usually do a much better job then chain oil change places and are consderably less than the dealer.

Why not just take the car back to them and see what they will do for you?
    Agree.
    I ALWAYS get tons of flack for saying this, (Oh, when will I learn) but....

out of all the things you can pay someone else to do, having your oil and filter changed must be the best bargain of the century.

I never feel so good about spending money as when I write a check to someone else for doing this for me. I'd like to kiss them, too but I'm afraid they'd take it wrong so I don't.

AHA! Let me parry your blow before you strike!

I realize that changing oil is about the last thing anyone can do to their new car without taking it to a dealer or without having a $300 computer or a set of CDs roms telling you what to do next. So I appreciate the poignancy of hanging on to this last vestige of owner control....but I'm ready to let go. That $25 I save just isn't the thrill it used to be, especially with 7 quarts of filthy oil sitting on the floor saying "Hi, Joe, I'm TOXIC WASTE and you have to get rid of me!!"
    even if I crawled under my car in the gravel strewn asphalt and did my own work, my neighbors would report me and I'd lose my lease.

Also, I have to dispose of the oil. Double and triple checking the grease monkey's work is a small price to pay, and I get the car done while we're shopping at the Wal-Mart Supercenter - the cheapest place in town to buy your groceries.
    state law requires all shops, or some shops, to take back used oil for proper disposal. there may be a fee, which is only fair.

here in Minnesota, I can drive two miles to the county garage, and dump my old oil in their recycle tank outside for free... and throw the filter in one of their steel drums for handling, too.

having said that... the filter fitting drools all over my left half shaft on the Exploder, so I have the dealer's quick lane do mine, because they clean up afterwards. that's worth ten bucks over the cost of oil and a filter to me at this point. and yes, I do check afterwards to be sure plugs are in and drools are cleaned off, every time.

their computer also says that I have had my oil done "two thousand miles early" and with a new filter every time, just in case I throw a rod or something and need to raise some hob.
    for free oil disposal.

Then again, my townhome rules prohibit working on your car...
    One of our clever comrades here in Town Hall once published a list on how to save $25 doing your own oil change. Of course, it was written to be funny and very exaggerated, but the list was about 30 items long. "Jack up car, install jackstands, retreive oil catcher, find paper towels, get filter wrench, etc. etc."

Very funny I wish I could find it.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Gender specific oil changes by mudflat Jun 20, 2002 (2:23 am)

Oil Change instructions for Women:
    1) Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3000 miles since the last oil change
    2) Drink a cup of coffee.
    3) 15 minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained vehicle.
    Money spent:
    * Oil Change $20.00
    * Coffee $ 1.00
    * Total $21.00.

Oil Change instructions for Men:
    1) Go to auto parts store and write a check for $50.00 for oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and shop towels
    2) Discover that the used oil container is full. Instead of taking it back to O'Reilly to recycle, dump in hole in back yard.
    3) Open a beer and drink it.
    4) Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.
    5) Find jack stands under kid's pedal car.
    6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it.
    7) Place drain pan under engine.
    8) Look for correct size box end wrench!
    9) Give up and use crescent wrench.
    10) Unscrew drain plug.
    11) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: get hot oil on you in the
    process.
    12) Clean up mess.
    13) Have another beer while watching oil drain.
    14) Look for oil filter wrench.
    15) Give up; poke oil filter with screwdriver and twist off.
    16) Beer.
    17) Buddy shows up; finish case of beer with him. Finish oil change tomorrow.
    18) Next day, drag pan full of old oil out from underneath car.
    19) Throw kitty litter on oil spilled during step 18.
    20) Beer. No, drank it all yesterday
    21) Walk to 7-11; buy beer.
    22) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface.
    23) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.
    24) Remember drain plug from step 11.
    25) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.
    26) Discover that the used oil is buried in a hole in the back yard along with drain plug. (IDIOT!)
    27) Drink beer.
    28) Uncover hole and sift for drain plug.
    29) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor.
    30) Drink beer.
    31) Slip with wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame.
    32) Bang head on floorboards in reaction to step 31.
    33) Begin cussing fit.
    34) Throw wrench.
    35) Cuss for additional 10 minutes because wrench hit Miss December(1992) in the left boob.
    36) Beer.&! nbsp;
    37) Clean up hands and forehead and bandage as required to stop blood flow.
    38) Beer.
    39) Beer
    40) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.
    41) Beer.
    42) Lower car from jack stands.
    43) Accidentally crush one of the jack stands.
    44) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during step 23.
    45) Beer.
    46) Test drive car.
    47) Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence.
    48) Car gets impounded.
    49) Make bail.
    50) Get car from impound yard.
    Money spent:
    * Parts $50.00
    * DUI $2500.00
    * Impound fee $75.00
    * Bail $1500.00
    * Beer $25.00
    * Total-- $4150.00
    -- But you know the job was done right!
    Hysterical! Thanks for finding that!
    excellent ;)
    Who used to change his own oil...no more!

He's a pretty savvy guy...still...

One day, he managed to cross thread the oil plug. He made three trips to the parts house before he solved the problem by jamming a triple oversize plug in.

Then, he carefully placed the used oil container on his back seat floor and headed for the parts store to dump it.

On the way there, he was forced to make a panic stop! Anyone want to guess where the dirty oil went?

Nice car too!

He no longer tries to "save" money!
    please do not tell me he put his drain pan full of dirty oil on his back seat.there is always the empty quart containers to put the used oil in.
    put it in your hair, whatever... it is dumbfoundingly wrong to put an open pan of any fluid in the car.

I also carry mine sideways to be sure they don't leak before loading up for the recycle place.

lately it's not oil, but brake fluid... same rules apply. that stuff is instant rot in a jug.
    He had the oil in one of those containers that slide under the car. The oil go's into it. When you are done, all you have to do is stand it up and wipe it down.

He didn't have it on the seat. It was standing up on the rear floor and somehow during his panic stop, the stopper came out.

He only dumped a half quart or so but it was a terrible, stinking mess.
  • stubborn1stubborn1 Member Posts: 85
    I save 5 gallon pails from laundry detergent or drywall mud to dispose of waste oil. Just remember to keep the lid and only fill it 2/3 of the way full.
    in 1987, our base housing office (Dyess AFB, TX) recommended disposing of waste oil along fencelines to keep weeds down. The letter indicated it was "better than washing down the street drains" and we'd be putting it to good use.

In 1989, that policy was changed and violators who did not properly dispose of oil at the auto hobby shop (but would have been following orders prior to this), would be prosecuted and removed from base housing.
    county road departments used to oil down some gravel roads at least into the 60s and early 70s out in our wonderful upper plains to keep the dust down... with the slop they drained out of the patrol cars and dump trucks. amazing we're not all dead three times over the way things used to be done.
    a grape Nehi or a Big Red soda with my sister and 2-3 neighborhhod friends - no diseases, no lawsuits, nothing....
    Now we pay big money for bottled water for crying out loud!

I can't believe we used to drink out of a garden hose!
    working on the car or motorcycle!
  • tbonertboner Member Posts: 402
    Everyone knows what EVIAN spelled backwards is...

TB
This discussion has been closed.