Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

How to remove minor paint-overspray

justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
edited March 2014 in Volkswagen
My car was re-painted a few months back, and the body shop has since gone out of business. an appraiser recently looked at my car and pointed out the "overspray" - how can I remove that? my car is a 2002 Cabrio, and the paint was done on the bottom of the INSIDE of the passenger door, where a bolt rusted. some paint got on the bottom of the outside of the car, behind the front passenger fender. the bottom of my car is painted black from the factory, but the body is silver. you can see some silver paint on the black part. any way to wipe or clean off the silver paint from the black part?

THANKS!

Comments

• zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    Meguiar's Cleaner Wax - if that doesn't do it, then you can use Dupont polishing compound.

Wax the area (with whatever you normally use) after the fact.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    and that stuff won't take off the underlying black paint, right?

so, i will hit Target or Trak Auto and look for "cleaner wax" - just apply it. Then wash/wax the car?

i need to wax the whole car anyway - good to do after the summer months and before winter, right?

also, both of my silver VW's have had paint issues. parts of the finish are lighter silver, almost like bird dropping shapes, but never any bird droppings. is there something on the metal, but under the paint, that can cause these paint "cancers" to appear in late model cars?
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    it is your job to go at it gently, watching the work, doing a little area at a time, to avoid cutting through to primer or metal.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If you are the careful type, you might try some 1000 grit wet/dry paper, fully soaked with water, and using the slightest pressure.

But cleaner (not cleaner/wax) is probably safe, but again, don't press on it too hard.
    Meguiar's cleaner wax could only be a problem if you got crazy with a buffer - work the area enough to remove the overspray, then wash & wax.

Follow Mr Shiftright's advice if the milder cleaners don't work - be careful in any case.

I've been detailing cars since I was 13, and have been known to use an SOS or Billo pad to remove junk like that - but only on light colored paints and with the finesse of a feather.
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    5-0 steel wool, maybe, but Brillo? that's maybe 0-0. I wouldn't use that with solvent to clean up old furniture, it would scratch too much.
    of course, 26 years of doing this, I'm not as sloppy as the average 3 year old with a brick.
  • sequoiasoonsequoiasoon Member Posts: 223
    Clay Magic is $10 at Walmart. Mothers is like $15.
    Clay removes many imperfections including overspray, just keep the area lubed and run the bar over it a bunch of times. Worth a shot before resorting to the more abrasive ideas.
    this sounds awful, but what do you mean by keep area lubed when using clay bar? keep it wet with water or something?

thanks for all of the tips!! as soon as i get back from the beach this weekend, my project will be to get the overspray off the car (along with the bugs and salt and sand).
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The idea is to go from the mildest abrasive first (light polish)and if that doesn't work after a whilek, then graduate to something a bit more abrasive. But in all cases, do NOT apply heavy pressure to a small area. As the old adage goes: "Damage occurs at ten times the rate of construction".
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    justin,

I had overspray over the entire top half of my car. It was really light overspray, I couldn't really see it, but the paint was rough all over the car when I ran my hands across it.

I used Clay Magic claybar kit and it removed all of the overspray. Now the paint job looks like new!!!

Don't worry, it's easy to use. All you have to do is spray the lube and run the clay bar over the paint with light pressure and the overspray will be gone.
    The lube is whatever comes in the package that you buy. Mothers includes a spray bottle of the Showtime Detail Spray. Clay Magic has the same deal. Zaino recommends 1/2 cap of their carwash with 12 ounces of water in a spray bottle. The idea is that the clay is very sticky and needs something to slide on. Whichever you choose it's REAL easy and works great. Just make sure you don't drop the claybar, it will pick up so much dirt you have to throw it away. I started cutting mine in 1/2 because I did drop it once.
    since this paint overspray was on the bottom of the car, i just sprayed some simple green (needed to get rid of some tar anyway). it all came off. washed and waxed the car right after to get the simple green off the finish.

car looks great now. and with all the rain we are getting, it is beading up like crazy!

thanks for everyone's advice.
    Simple Green is great - I use it for everything from engine degreasing (straight) to carpet shampooing (4-1).
  • snuke59snuke59 Member Posts: 29
    I am a female with a 2000, Black Honda Accord that I love and try to keep in immaculate condition. So when I noticed overspray on both of my side mirrors, I went beserk. I decided to look on my favorite car website, Edmunds.com and there were suggestions for my problem staring right back in my face. I used both of your suggestions, the clay bar, and it worked perfectly. So, thanks for your help.
    Glad it worked for you but what is the overspray from? If it was on the mirrors it's also possibly on the rest of the vehicle. If you have never used Clay on the whole car before, DO IT! It makes a BIG difference in how the car looks and feels and as "prep" work for your next waxing.

Next step in keeping your Black Accord immaculate is to read posts in the Zaino boards and/or store bought waxes and polishes. Scroll through and you will see pictures also. Dawn dishwashing detergent is very effective at removing old wax build up, follow with the clay on the whole vehicle, wash it again, follow with some 3M swirl mark remover (preferably applied with random orbit buffer) then multiple coats of Zaino (my first choice) or Klasse All in One (second) or whichever Carnauba based wax you choose from experience (third). I find the Zaino REAL EASY to apply, the shine and depth on a dark vehicle amazing and it protects for months not weeks! In those boards you will find some detailing fanatics that have some great advice and ideas. Good luck and keep clean!!!
    snuke59,

You're welcome!!

As sequioasoon said above, if your mirrors have overspray, chances are the rest of the car has it also. Even if the rest of the car doesn't have it, Claying the paint will improve the shine of the paint job by removing other contaminants stuck to the paint.
    I am assuming that the overspray resulted from the time I had my car at a body shop to have bumper work done. My feelings are that while painting was being done to another car, the overspray flew to my car....if that makes sense. Other than that, I have no idea where the overspray came from. I have looked thoroughly and I haven't seen any more overspray. Currently, I use Pinnacle products. Their Carnauba based wax works absolutely wonderful on my black car. It doesn't leave swirl marks or white residue in the cracks. I never thought of using the CLAY bar on the entire car before. Prior to the side mirrors, I had only used the bar on the trunk to remove sap. Although I enjoy keeping my car in immaculate condition, wouldn't using the CLAY bar be extremely time consuming?
    I did my Toyota Sequoia in about an hour (roof was the hardest part)had to use ladder. If each fender or door takes more than 5 minutes your probably trying to hard. A couple a quick sprays on the panel, rub lightly 1x1 or 2x2 area, if the clay is sticking you need a little more lube. You also only need to do this a couple times a year not every wash. Your "theory" is probably dead on. The paint dust gets everywhere. Any issues with the windows? You can try the clay also or a little glass cleaner and 0000 steel wool rubbed lightly. It takes a lot of junk and grime off the windows with out scratching (but not for the paint!!!!)
    Thanks for the advice. Might give it a try.
    snuke59,

A accord could probably be clayed in about 30 minutes. That's how long it took to do my whole car from top to bottom.

sequoiasoon,

0000 steel wool? What's that? where do I get it? I have overspray on my windows also, but haven't figured out how to get it off yet. Do I spray window cleaner and rub the wool lightly?
    It's the ultrafine steel wool, got mine at Home Depot but any hardware/paint store should carry it. They rate steelwool like sand paper 0-course 00-medium etc. Yup, spray your normal cleaner and rub lightly.
This discussion has been closed.