Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Jaguar X-Type Sport Wagon

jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
Read somewhere (forget where) that the Jaguar X-Type Estate is on it's way. I think it was from an Edmunds newsletter.

Comments

• bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    a couple of weeks ago. I can't remember if they said whether Jag is planning to import it.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Dead. Edmunds say it's a Europe Only car. A shame, since it looked pretty good, right up to the diesel engine.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Looks like it's coming! Here's the info:
    X-Type Estate

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    A little more news from Edmunds' Headlines Section: Jaguar Wills New X-Type Estate

What do you think? ;-)

Revka
    Host of Hatchbacks & Wagons
    "available in Europe only..)
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    jchan2 - Did you read the other Edmunds/Headline News article I linked above? (This is not a permanent link, btw.)

To quote: "The wagon goes on sale soon in Europe, but in the U.S. it arrives in 2004, likely powered by a V6 equipped with standard all-wheel drive."

I've been hearing conflicting reports though. One other source I read said there's no official word yet from Jaguar. I have feeling it will eventually make it here. ;-)

Revka
    Host of Hatchbacks & Wagons
    I did read it. But Motor Trend said that Jag would have a X-Type Estate on the road in the states by summer 2003. Then again, GM promised the reinvention of the vehicle with the EV1, so we can't get our hopes too high.
    said that the X-Type estate is dead. can a Jaguar employee clear this up for us so we know when to line up at the Jag dealer??????
    Is there even somebody who works inside Ford that can give us the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth about the X-Type Estate????
  • joey2brixjoey2brix Member Posts: 463
    Probably cost 15K less and you get a "sportier" sport wagon. OK, no AWD but I'm sure that will show up also soon if the Euro models have it.
    but Jaguar needs that wagon to compete better with BMW and Mercedes. They each have 2 wagons and Jaguar has none. When will Jaguar realize that they need the Estate model to stay competitive and that price cuts and model refreshes aren't just enough?
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    According to a Times blurb I spotted in the Auto section, the Estate will stay in Europe.

:(

Not enough wagons out there.
    more wagons.
  • mauislickmauislick Member Posts: 107
    ford taurus with a jaguar badge....!
    more like rebadged Ford Mondeo. FWD too. (not)
    Does Jaguar have plans for any sort of utility vehicle, or are they planning to fork over that market over to the rest of Ford?
  • 6thbeatle6thbeatle Member Posts: 180
    more wagons too!
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Unless I'm very much mistaken, that's what they have Land Rover for, unless you mean wagons.

The Estate is a reality for the Euro market, where they have a clearer understanding of what's important! ;)

Thing is, as much as I like the idea of selling it here, I can't muster a whole lot of enthusiasm for this particular wagon. It's not the most beautiful wagon I've ever seen...
    I think Ford has some nerve charging 40k+ for a Mondeo. The AWD might be nice but it's a small car. Hard to justify when the Mazda6 wagon would be priced at least 15K less.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    But it isn't a Mondeo. Although it shares the underpinnings, you won't find many of the features in the X in a Mondeo. Furhter, it's tuned differently.

In your thinking, who would buy a TT when in essence it shares it's underpinnings with the Golf and New Beetle?
  • bretaabretaa Member Posts: 130
    robr2: I like the Audi/New Beetle analogy. Similarly, the Lexus ES330 is essentially a Camry with modifications and the entire Infiniti lineup shares platform pieces with the Altima and 350Z platform. Audis share extensively with VW. I've always felt that Jaguar has been held to somewhat of a double (higher?) standard here. As far as I'm concerned, if it is a fantastic product, who cares that it shares wiring or bolts with another product in the corporate hemisphere?

- Bret
    if you like the car and can justify why you're going to buy it, then you can buy whatever you want.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Too bad the X isnt a fantastic product. I do think it is extremely seductively styled. Reference the last place finish in Car and Driver this month, despite a drastic price reduction. Even so, I am so enamored of this cars looks I WOULD consider a certified used one, IF THE CAR was reliable. Like most Jags, its not.

~alpha
    I wasn't necessarily calling the X fantastic, I was just saying in general that if a product is worthy and can justify its cost, who cares what is underneath?

I don't think the X is a bad car at all. I was looking at them recently (used) in my own car buying decision. The car is comfortable, goes, stops, and drives very pleasantly. It's main problem is that its competitors are just so good that it doesn't *feel* overall as good as some of them. The price point has also been very high for this car as well, which Jaguar is now correcting. Quality, too, has been a sore point, unfortunately...

- Bret
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Has the X type been unreliable? I don't know.

As for the C&D comparison, even they say that the X type does best when driven in the manner for which it was tuned: grand tourer. They feel the X type can run with some of the others - it just doesn't like it. I concur. IMHO the X type is more of a genteel cruiser with the capability to run at 5-6/10ths as opposed to a true sports sedan.
    sadly is unreliable. Otherwise, it'd be a better competitor when reliability means everything.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I had a GTI. Why would I buy a TT? it's the same car, except it costs more, and has less room?
    and the X-Type is that you can't buy the cheaper Mondeo here. You have to spring for the fully loaded X-Type.
    Strange, C&D website says Europe and Canada get the wagon, not the US. Saying even BMW might dop the 3 series wagon because we have the X3 and X5. Funny, who's buying these overpriced SUV's? The X3's been getting bad reviews on ride quality for $35K.
  • steven2steven2 Member Posts: 37
    Jaguar cannot really "match-up" against Mercedes, BMW, or Audi. The XJ and XK are premium high-end cars, and the new XJ's are supposedly pretty good ultra luxury sedans. The X-type is being bought by people who want the name Jaguar but not a high price. The S type- where does it fit in? I don't really see how it can compete with a A6 or 5 series.

By the way, Jags arent that great. Has anyone noticed the Xtype is just a Ford Taurus? Jags don't get great reviews, and reliability has been poor since introduction of Jaguar WAY back.
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    Could you please explain how an X-type is a Ford Taurus? Also, I see a lot more S-types on the road than A6's here that's for sure. As far as "The X-type is being bought by people who want the name Jaguar but not a high price.", could not the exact same be said of the C-class or 3-series?

Really your post would have been more appropriate on the "luxury marques" topic. sysop "High End Luxury Marques" Mar 28, 2004 11:27pm
    Umm, no. It's built on the current generation Ford Mondeo platform (sold in Europe, not the in the states). Reliability of Jaguars today has little to do with reliability of Jags prior to the takeover by Ford.
  • steven2steven2 Member Posts: 37
    yes, if you break down charts of the reliability issues, you can find differences since the the takeover by ford, but overall you will have the same frequency of problems.

and in response to seminole key, the bmw 3 series has been acknowledged as a great car, just as worthy of being called a bmw as any of the other models. you have a point with the mb, though.
    looks nice, but sadly it'll never make it to the United States.
    "if you break down charts of the reliability issues, you can find differences since the the takeover by ford, but overall you will have the same frequency of problems"

I guess we've been looking at different charts. Jaguar reliability pre-ford was the pits. It's gotten dramatically better since then.
    in fact, I think Jaguar has been rated pretty well in the last few JD powers reports.
    aren't still as good as Infiniti, Lexus or Acura.
    you're being a bit dishonest when they are right with them in ratings. Seperated only by a few points. What, maybe 4-6 overall or somewhere abouts? Oh, why did you even include Acura there. They're not anywhere near an actual luxury company like Lexus, MB, Jag and Infiniti (well sort of on that one). Acura is just Honda's Mercury to its Ford).
    This kind of general talk would be more fitting here: sysop "High End Luxury Marques" Apr 4, 2004 1:27pm at the Luxury discussion. Still not sure why all this talk is here on a future vehicle, wagon that won't even be sold here in the US.
    that according to Consumer Reports (Hey, I'm just using another source) Jaguar cars fare much lower reliability wise than the similar competition from Lexus and that people think that a Jaguar isn't built as well as a Lexus. (well, some people)
    I'm somewhat late to this discussion, but I thought that...

General Jaguar Reliability: Much improved overall, especially since the Ford ownership. Owner satisfaction in the surveys has been high.

X-Type reliability: While decent and stable currently, the X-Type got a bad street quality rep during the first several months of production. Things apparently got much better after the 7/00 or 1/01 build models, I thought I had read. Even the most enthusiastic owners admit this. A Jaguar exec, I recently recall, said in an interview that the next X-Type will have to aim higher in this regard and do well from Job One.

- Bret
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    seminole_kev, thanks for posting that link. Yes, let's leave this discussion for conversation about the (remote) possibility of the X-Type Estate being released in the U.S. I know that may kill this discussion, but let's not mix up the conversation about high-end luxury brands.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

"...I know that may kill this discussion..."
    I'm sure this discussion will be archived in no time flat.
    This probably will be a very slow topic, still would be nice to see it here though. The wagon market is starting to heat back up, so I think they'd still be able to sell enough here to justify importing them.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A new five-door sport wagon joins the Jaguar X-Type lineup later this year, the company said at the launch of its long-wheelbase XJ8 sedan. The X-Type Sport Wagon, Jaguar says, will come in one version that will be an all-wheel-drive model with the larger, 3.0-liter V6 and a five-speed automatic transmission. Jaguar's dealer council asked the company to bring the vehicle over at a reported price of about $35,000, according to Automotive News, to give the brand a competitor to the swelling ranks of small European wagons including the Audi A4 Avant, BMW 3 Series Touring and Benz C-Class wagon.
    now the discussion is back to life, thanks to Jaguar.
    anything new about the X-Type Wagon?
    has a little webpage about the upcoming X-Type sportwagon