Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2003 Park Avenue headaches

azspyder1azspyder1 Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Buick
My friend complained about shimmys and thump noise on his new PA Buick 13000 miles. I advised it was only tire balance. the buick dealer charged him $40 for balance and told him him he needed new tie rods--under warrantee. This is not an off road hot rod driver but a sedate speed limit 75 + year old. The dealer then charged him $3.98 for disposal fee for the old (new ??) tie rods. He is mad at me and the dealer, and is going back to buying Lincolns. Question: is it ethical or good business to 'mickey mouse' a disposal fee on a warrantee fix. Question: anybody else out there with worn out front suspension on Buicks under 100,000 miles??

Comments

• just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    Story sounds kinda fishy. The dealer might have to show those tie rods to GM since they are covered by the warranty.

I think that the dealer is taking advantage of this person because of his age. Call your states Attorney General office and report this to General Motors Head Quarters.
  • zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    at consumer cost because it was over 12,000 miles - kinda' cheesy, but all legal.

Was the oil changed? Any other maintenance performed? That's the only reason for a disposal fee - the tie rods don't cause need for a disposal fee - in fact, they have to be returned to GM.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Your friend sounds mighty cranky. Suggest meditation exercises. Hey, he got his car promptly fixed under warranty at a GM dealer. This is called a miracle in some parts of the country. And your suggestion was certainly reasonable given that few tie rods give up in 13K miles.

As for disposal, tie rods are just scrap iron. GM may give the dealer permission to chuck them, so that's possible.

$3.98 is not the hill you want to die on, so I'd tell your buddy to let it go and be content.
    GM might tell the dealer to dispose of the tie rods under normal conditions. 13K is not normal for tie rods to wear out, so to keep dealers from padding the warranty bill GM will probably want to look at these tie rods.

$3.98 is not the hill you should die on, but, what is to stop this type of abuse when it comes to fixing other things on your car? I still believe that they are taking advantage of this man because of his age.

These are tie rods not toxic waste! That charge is bogus!
    Were any other services provided, like an LOF or other maintenance??

A disposal charge is a very normal fee linked with maintenance operations.....

How does a dealer "pad" the warranty bill? I was a service manager, and would've been fired/thrown in jail for that, but I'd like to know how you think it works.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I don't think the issue is even worth mentioning, given the eventual outcome. Remember, you have to live with these people. The service manager doesn't need another dose of stomach acid for a $3.98 complaint.

Fight the dealer for worthwhile things, otherwise wink and vow to get back that $4 in toilet paper, coffee and magazines some day.
    Yes, I read the question from Mr Shiftright and azspyder1. It stated that the dealer charged a disposal fee for the old(NEW) tie rods. That is what he stated and that is what I commented on.

Did you read the question? I didn't notice any reference in their post to LOF charges!
    To show that I can respond WITHOUT getting snippy, azspyder's post doesn't mention if the car was in for any maintenance items. It says the tie rod ends were changed, and there was a disposal fee. I guarantee that azspyder didn't see the invoice, as he just got word from his friend, who may have never considered that the disposal fee was applied to maintenance operations.

IF the disposal fee outlines the tie rods only, then yes, there's a problem.

If it's an EPA disposal fee for an oil change, though (my point), then it's worthless to argue, as it's normal in the service business (charges vary by state and municipality).

The problem is, we don't have all the facts and can't assume anything - especially if it involves someone reading a service invoice correctly/incorrectly.
  • desi501desi501 Member Posts: 66
    Possibly it was a "shop supplies" fee that is calculated automatically based on a percentage of the amount of the bill even if it is partially billed to the factory.
This discussion has been closed.