Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima Accessories and Modifications

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited April 2014 in Nissan
Talk about Maxima accessories/mods here!

Comments

• emf213emf213 Member Posts: 2
    Had my new '04 Max for two months. It's a Black SE w/Frost leather, Driver Preferred Pkg. and Moonroof. Here's my gripe...Nissan cheaped out on the driving lights; they are not Xenon like the headlights (cheezy move to save a few bucks if you ask me). Anyway, is there a way to replace the standard bulbs with the Xenon?? I believe Nissan/Infinity uses the same size Xenons (driving) in other car models. Thanks.
  • joecrashjoecrash Member Posts: 2
    Took my first long trip in the 04 Max and loved it. But, I noticed the bugs sure liked the front end of the car. I'm afraid I am going to be picking up nicks in the paint from pebbles and such. Anyone know who makes a front-end bra for this car?
  • execute007execute007 Member Posts: 1
    in the back right brake, when i drive under 5mph and brake, they make noise. also, there is a rattling sound that can be heard in the car on the back right as well ( i wonder if they are related?) anyone have any ideas as to what this is?
  • sschumersschumer Member Posts: 19
    Just spent last few weeks researching aftermarket GPS for my new 2005 Nissan Maxima SL. The two GPS leaders for cars appeared to be the Magellan Roadmate 700 and Garmin 2620. About same price ($800 or so), with Roadmate being a bit easier to use, Garmin a bit more function. Was about to purchase the Roadmate when I sort of stumbled over a hidden gem, the Lowrance iWay 500C. After further research, this was by far the best one and purchased it a couple of weeks ago. Has been all I hoped for and more. And it cost me only $650 at Comp-U-Plus.com.

GPS Explorer website does a great "GPS for Car Comparison" chart, rates the iWay 500C the very best. Check it out under "Which one should you get?": http://www.gpsexplorer.com/GPS-for-Cars-CS131.aspx

The review they wrote was also glowing: http://www.gpsexplorer.com/Lowrance-iWay-500C-GPS-MP3-Combo-W5.aspx

Crutchfield review good too: http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/reviews/navigation/2005/0419/iway_logan.html

Here's some great customer reviews/testimonials I found:

Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0006OCJ2...electronics&n=507846

BizRate.com: http://www.bizrate.com/marketplace/product_info/review_...8766,sort--date.html

Epinions.com: http://www.epinions.com/content_177503768196
    http://www.epinions.com/content_179004870276
    http://www.epinions.com/pr-Lowrance_Iway_500c_GPS_Receiver_1/display_~reviews

Dealtime.com: http://www.shopping.com/xPR-Iway_500c~RD-182210825860

Crutchfield.com: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-izscSSy3pDs/cgi-bin/ProdVi...d=review&i=550IW500C
  • blkprl28blkprl28 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to replace a automatic shift knob with overdrive?Im about to replace it with a more stylish one.
  • texasred1texasred1 Member Posts: 20
    This is my first time to post a message....hope I do it correctly.
    We are thinking about buying a 2005 Maxima SL. What is slowing us down is the Highway MPG. We LOVE the car, but have been leaning toward buying a car that get over 30 MPG on the HWY. The sticker says 28. My question to existing owners of this car is:
    What MPG do you get HWY and CITY, using 87 octane fuel? I realize that alot depends on how fast you drive and if you are heavy footed, which makes the car drink more gas. Could you PLEASE include how fast you were driving to get your MPG. THANKS for any help that you can give us!
  • lakefferlakeffer Member Posts: 2
    If you want fuel economy, get a Sentra. Maxima is a luxury/performance vehicle. I get 21/22 mpg on my 2002 GLE (and I'm heavy footed). Also, you have to run 91 octane in the Max, not 87.
  • gerapaugerapau Member Posts: 211
    Lakeffer, this issue has been discussed many times. THE MAX DOES NOT REQUIRE 91 OCTANE. Sorry to shout but this has been discussed many, many times before. The Max only requires 87 octane. For best performance, however, 91 octane should be used (according to Nissan).
  • luvmymaxieluvmymaxie Member Posts: 16
    I bought my 2004 Maxima SE when they came out. I always put high octane in mine. I see a difference in my gas mileage...better...and performance. Now with gas prices higher my pocket empties out more though! LOL
  • luvmymaxieluvmymaxie Member Posts: 16
    What aftermarket parts out there that I can add to my 04 Maxima SE to give it even more power....my son keeps saying daddy's car is faster, 87 Mustang GT...I have heard underdrive pulley's, a chip and a better air intake system? Is that a start? Thanks. By the way I only have around 14,000 miles on it and I purchased it when it came out. Next spring the warranty will be out.
  • 99maximase99maximase Member Posts: 1
    I had a similiar problem with my 99 maxima se. Inside the brake calipers there are a few little clips that put pressure on the brake pads. What happened is that they wore away and now the pads are ratling in the caliper. I went to AutoZone and got the coreect clip kit (ONLY 5.00) and that took care of problem.

Hope that helped. ;)
  • gtgraygtgray Member Posts: 22
    I have a 2005 SL, but it did not have satellite radio from the factory (Bose radio has sat controls already built in). Has anyone added satellite radio from Nissan dealership? If so, how much did it cost?

thanks
  • maxim04maxim04 Member Posts: 1
    My 04 Max has a cracked windshield that will have to be replaced. I checked with the local dealer who quoted $ 500 for orig. windshield and labor.
    I also came across a company called PPG glass that makes OEM(for GM,BMW, Honda, Toyota ) as well as replacement glass for Nissan(they say it meets the specs). One can get it installed at their authorised places for $250.
    Has anyone got a PPG glass or other replacement on their Maxima?
    PPG seems to be a reputable company but i dont know if i should use it or go to the nissan dealer. Here are the links to PPG.
    http://corporateportal.ppg.com/NA/OEMGlass/Information/Vehicles/
    http://www.ppgprostars.com

Any advice/suggestion is welcome.
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    Has anyone got a PPG glass or other replacement on their Maxima?

I haven't had a PPG replacement on a Maxima, but know the company quite well and know several people who work for their auto glass division (I live in Pittsburgh where the company is headquartered). I would have absolutely no worries about the glass itself, just make sure the installer is reputable and stands behind their work because if you do have problems, it will be more due to install problems than glass fitment.
  • tgregg91tgregg91 Member Posts: 2
    i would like to know if some1 could tell me how to program my factory alarm so my horn will honk when i arm the alarm and my horn does work.
  • gregorymgregorym Member Posts: 3
    I am looking to get performance rotors for my 2000 Nissan Maxima SE. I looked around and found SR Performance Rotors at ebay. They are coming from canada and are cross drilled. Has anyone heard of these rotors or have suggestions as to the ones that work best. I was going to replace all four at once. The cost of the rotors will be around $230 with shipping.
  • o2bavwo2bavw Member Posts: 1
    I need a little bit of help, I just bought a 2002 maxima 6-speed se, and the car is in great shape but the leather on the shift knob is kinda worn out, so i went out and bought an aftermarket shift knob, and it wont work because of the piece you have to pull up on to get it into reverse that goes into the bottom of the factory one. i cant be the first person that has run into this problem, so if anyone has an answer for me i would greatly appreciate it.
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    I need a little bit of help, I just bought a 2002 maxima 6-speed se, and the car is in great shape but the leather on the shift knob is kinda worn out, so i went out and bought an aftermarket shift knob, and it wont work because of the piece you have to pull up on to get it into reverse that goes into the bottom of the factory one. i cant be the first person that has run into this problem, so if anyone has an answer for me i would greatly appreciate it.

www.maxima.org

Your answer lies there. 100% guaranteed, or your 2c back. :P

(sorry, I have an AT)
  • gregorymgregorym Member Posts: 3
    Anyone recommend a high performance brand for a 2000 Nissan Maxima SE. I am purchasing Hawk break pads front and rear and looking into high performance rotors. Does anyone have them on their Maxima and recommend a brand? If so, where did you buy them and around how much were they? I am going to replace front and rear at the same time. Thanks.
  • vivianaviviana Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 with nav and am wondering if anyone knows what the pink flashing roads represent? I had a nav in my Quest (traded in, thank God!) and it didn't have that. Anyone know what it means?
  • ceburgceburg Member Posts: 1
    I am refurbishing my son's trashed 1997 Maxima SE while he goes through Marine training. I need a gear shift knob, console cover (the part over the cig lighter), seat covers, and advice on radio/CD player repair/replacement. Can anyone direct me to resources?
  • dmaljunkdmaljunk Member Posts: 160
    ebay
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    When you enter a destination, it will calculate the fastest route, shortest route, and minimize highway route (often all the same depending on where you live. In Pittsburgh where there's no direct route to get anywhere, they are often different). It will automatically default to whatever option you have programmed in your settings, but before you accept you have the opportunity to select one of the other routes.
  • jwt001jwt001 Member Posts: 1
    probably hold down the lock and unlock together for 2 seconds. My remote has these instructions stamped on the back
  • alexstorealexstore Member Posts: 264
    I am looking to replace as soon as tail lights burn out with led lights, i searched ebay and maxima.org, but cannot find any. I will not replace a whole assembly just bulbs.
    also what should I replace to shorten brake distance and improve g force? Tires? Tires+ rotors and ceramic pads?
  • cmyawncmyawn Member Posts: 51
    Just leased a 2007 Maxima and we are considering this accessory. Has anyone tried this accessory on a late-model Maxima? Does it help with the wind/noise while the sunroof is open?

How hard is it to install?

Thanks

cmyawn
  • dallas75dallas75 Member Posts: 72
    our 2007 SE came with one, dealer installed. It does cut down on wind nose. Can't tell right off how it is installed, I will try to take a closer look in the morning and post if I find something telling. (This is the Nissan supplied deflector.)
    Took a closer look at how the deflector is installed. 2 brackets fit over front edge of the roof opening and the plastic deflector is mounted to the brackets with hex screws. I could not tell if the molding around the lower part is taped down.
    Hope this helps. :shades:
  • cmyawncmyawn Member Posts: 51
    Thanks. Before I get one I will try to see if the dealer has a Maxima on-site with one installed that I can test drive.
  • wu8wu8 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2006 Maxima that currently has the factory Bose XM Sat built in. I would like to switch this to Sirius. Does anyone know what needs to be done, approx how much and where is best place to get parts?
    I believe that you will have to purchase the Sirius tuner and antenna from Nissan if you want to stick with factory parts, the bracket to hold the tuner under the dash will be the same. The dealer in Albuquerque has the tuner for $205.00 and the antenna for $62.50.
    You may also want to go to the Sirius website as Sirius and XM has merged, don't know what that means for programing in the immediate future. :shades:
  • aks3aks3 Member Posts: 1
    Did anyone try to install running daylights on Maxima 2004? Canadian cars have this option, but her the dealer told me it's unavailable...
  • kkolarikkkolarik Member Posts: 1
    If you remove the XM receiver, I would be interested in buying it.
  • jorozcojorozco Member Posts: 5
    My 04 Maxima has the same HID projector lights, but they dont seem as intense/blue as they should be. It looks the same as halogen but bright, but not as intense as they should be. Should I install new lights?
  • preneprene Member Posts: 2
    I too had a crack in my winshield from the road, and my insurance company recommended Safelite glass company they came to my house and replaced it, they did a good job and I can't even tell the difference.
  • preneprene Member Posts: 2
    Yes it definitely help with the wind noise, it makes a big difference. I strongly reccommend it you won't regret it.
    I have 05 Maxima and my HID also as bright as halogens. My guess Nissan made it so to last longer.
  • jorozcojorozco Member Posts: 5
    Does anybody know what type on xenon lights are on the 04-06 Maxima? And how to maybe replace a headlight?
  • david8338david8338 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 02 Maxima. I just put in the switches for the heated seats and hooked up the wiring under the console to the switches. does anyone know what I am supposed to hook up under the seats or if there are other components or fuses I need to put in? The switches have power to them but it doesnt seem to have power to the seats. I have a service manual for the car but it might as well have been written in greek cause I cant make sense of it. thanks in advance. David
  • david8338david8338 Member Posts: 2
    They are easy to install.I bought mine on ebay for around 50 or 60 bucks. took about 30 minutes to install.
  • johnoinflajohnoinfla Member Posts: 1
    in my 2007 maxiam (i just bought new) the senser for the radio goes to 5 but when i slow down it does nothing and when i speed up the music does not go up like i think it should i took it to the dealer and they told me nothing they could do. humm? why have a radio vol. senser in the car if it does nothing right?any one have this essue? any feed back would be helpfull. Johnoinfla
  • acgrunt19acgrunt19 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get the foglights to turn on without having to turn on the headlights? I think it would look real stylish if i could get the foglights on by them selves.

Also i wanted to know if anyone has ever put xenon bulbs into the foglights to give a better look?
    I had same Idea for my 05 maxima. Now real xenon are expensive and fakes burn fast so though they are ugly while on next to xenons, halogens are your only choice
  • t2sonst2sons Member Posts: 2
    about the rear brake i find after awhile a rust ridge forms around the outside of the brake pads and the rotor. when it rotates the rust ridges then rub on the pads.also the noise that you may hear on the back right may be the metal bracket that is used to tie down a load in the trunk. i put tape on it and i did not hear this noise again. i hope this helps
  • punk5150punk5150 Member Posts: 1
    I am about to pull the trigger on purchasing an 08 maxima SL. I am gettting a good deal on the car. I was going to go with an Altima SE but the Maxima is cheaper. A $ 33,500 car for $ 26900.

Anyway here is my question. Since it is so late in the season I am being forced to buy a Maxima with the platinum package. I really don't want the package because I dont want the electric seat with memory option.... I plan on owning the car for awhile and see the motor breaking over time because everytime you turn the key the motor is moving 250 pounds every back and forth.

Is there anyway to disable this function ? I want to lock move the seat into one place and leave it there.
  • alexlloydalexlloyd Member Posts: 8
    Still good info, we even confirmed horn chirp on in the menu but it would not work until we did the remote LOCK + UNLOCK thing. Works great now.
    In my 2004, there is a menu function in the user options on the dash that lets you select the seat option on or off and the steering wheel option seperate. I can't see them removing that option.
    There should be a seperate connector under the seat for the heater andyou can confirm you have power here. If your vehicle came without the heated seat option, I doubt the heaters are in the seat. Aftermarket heaters can run about 500 per seat, I would check an autowrecker in your area to see if they have a seat with the heaters in it. Should be about 75-100 dollars per seat.
This discussion has been closed.