Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tunda 2000 - II

meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
edited March 2014 in Toyota
This is a continuation of Topic 665....

Toyota Tundra 2000.

Please continue these discussions here.

Front Porch Philosopher
SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host

Comments

• sandman6sandman6 Member Posts: 11
    is sportwing the only aftermarket flare maker for the tundra?
  • gustusgustus Member Posts: 14
    Has anyone seen a big red tractor on a trailer pushing a Chevy pickup around lately?
  • jlee100jlee100 Member Posts: 7
    I just ordered a new Limited 2 wheel drive yesterday. I wanted a cdplayer which I believe comes standard on the limited but I did not want the $200 upgrade stereo which has a 6 disc changer, but the dealer told me they could not back out the upgraded stereo. Apparently in the southern states the Toyota's go through Gulf states Toyota and the dealer had a truck which was allocated to them and I could have this particular truck but the upgraded stereo could not be removed. Does anyone know what options come from the factory in Indiana and what options Gulf States Toyota adds? I feel like I may be paying for something I don't necessary want. Does anyone also have the option codes from Gulf states Toyota? I purchased something called The Extra Mile package which included floor mats, permavin (glass etching), custom pin stripe, securkey plus and a bedliner and I believe the code for this is B8, does anyone know if this is correct?
  • capthook2capthook2 Member Posts: 1
    I came seeking info on the TUNDRA not ford not chevy not dodge can we keep this subject on track
    so those of us interested in purchasing a TUNDRA
    can get feedback from those who already OWN a
    TUNDRA
    thanks
    Rick
  • 1taxman1taxman Member Posts: 27
    Can anyone tell me why this subject was moved and the old one frozen. I RuBlu2 and meredith the same person? He just wants us close to all the Toyota basher? I for one, and I hope everyone just ignores the bashers. Keep this topic strictly for Tundra Owners and wannabees like me.
  • dogsterdogster Member Posts: 94
    If you know Kelly B. have her call Wendy and we'll give you all the Tundra info you need since we just bought one!
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    Topics get frozen when either inactive for 30 days or have over 500 posts. No conspiracy toy boys.
  • fthngrgfthngrg Member Posts: 6
    Thought this was for Tundra info, not bashing.I'am amazed that some respondents can type in a fashion that actually makes them appear as bad in print as you can imagine they might be in person.Why waste your time taking up space where people could care less about GM,Ford or Dodge products.From the answers provided by the owners of those brands, it's enough to be sure, I have no desire to be seen in one.If those owners represent the mentality they portray in their e-mails, god save us all.
  • ericmuiericmui Member Posts: 5
    Some people just can not face the reality, because the truth hurts. Bashing and attacking in this site that they don't belong in is their only defense mechanism. They can not accept a product being better than their own so the only way is to find fault and attack. Really feel sorry for these people. It is pathetic, ignorant and downright obnoxious!
  • tp4unctp4unc Member Posts: 437
    The V.I.N. # is etched on the glass. Apparently, it is used to help in the recovery of stolen vehicles. No need to offer it with Chevys because no one would want to steal one.
  • emruzekemruzek Member Posts: 24
    Mine has been vibrating from day one. Lots of failed balances and multiple brands of tires. I checked the rim runout(lateral) as no one else would or others wanted a ridiculous fee. The lateral runout on mine measured 0.120.(That is appx. 1/8"). I imagine a good measurement would be around .020? I will be trying new rims and will update accordingly. My tundra was one of the first off of the assy. line. Maybe this is what framehog was refering to???
  • 606zpx606zpx Member Posts: 75
    Have there been definitive fixes for the two most common problems that I have seen mentioned.

Specifically, the vibrating wheels and the vibrating bench seat???

The extra mile package that is offered by Gulf States Toyota actually scribes the vin number in the side glass for theft recovery. One really cool benefit of this is if you unfortunately have your Tundra stolen you get a check immediatley from Gulf States Toyota for $2500 regardless of your insurance coverage and regardless of whether your vehicle is recovered!! Can GM or Ford say that??!!
    Anyone know where you can purchase the top chrome bed rails for the Tundra? Could have ordered them from Toyota but they wanted $250, sounded a little high. There is probably not much in the way of after market "stuff" for the Tundra yet. Anyone got a good web site for such stuff?
  • lexmarklexmark Member Posts: 68
    Rube claims he is in his 80's. That should pretty much answer your question.
    www.putco.com

They told me the rails would be available soon(this was back in July). This stuff is expensive but really good!
    It was in August not July.
  • lexmarklexmark Member Posts: 68
    Not exactly the image you asked about...

"Has anyone seen a big red tractor on a trailer
    pushing a Chevy pickup around lately?"

But, this is as close to it as I have seen:

Great picture!! Love those Tundra's!!!!!
  • iambluetoiamblueto Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I didn't know someone took my picture while I was carring home Rube's truck and towing home his tractor. Damn he's not going to be happy about that. Good luck on that one now.
  • sharkbait1sharkbait1 Member Posts: 19
    check out www.autoaccessory.com , then at the left side, choose Toyota, then Tundra. They also list common accessories.
  • cwirthcwirth Member Posts: 169
    zbad71;

Talking about upside down, just wait until you have to replace your Chevy, you won't know which way is up! On thing about GM, their products don't outlast the loan on them. Good luck on that one now.
  • pierce5pierce5 Member Posts: 9
    Why didn't Toyota make the Tundra a true full size truck? If they had, I might have purchased one instead of ordering a Sierra. I was excited when the Tundra first came out because of the truck's looks, toyota's quality track record, ect. However, I was in the market for a full size truck and the Toyota Tundra dosn't fit that bill as far as I am concerned. I will say that every time Toyota comes out with a new design that is supposed to be full size,it does keep getting bigger. If they ever do come out with a comparable full size truck, look out Big 3. My 2 cents.
  • eostereoster Member Posts: 54
    I had some when I first got my Tundra. Unfortunately the dealer couldn't balance a tire if his life depended on it. The run out that you have is very high. The European standards are .010" to .020" (about 1/64 inch +/-). American manufacturers use .050". Yours seem much worse. Go to the dealer and speak to the regional rep. If the can't identify correct the problem maybe he will authorize you to take the truck to someone who can fix the problem.
  • slpierceslpierce Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone out there been towing up to a 30" RV trailer? We are looking to purchase a trailer to
    pull with 2000 Tundra 4x4.
  • slpierceslpierce Member Posts: 2
    Oops that was 30' rv trailer....any serious experience out there from Tundra 2000 owners?
  • lovatolovato Member Posts: 17
    Rob how about 1828 or 9530.

Also try (www.Tundratoys.com), it is good for Tundras only.
  • rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    Picked up my Tundra SR5 2WD V8 on Saturday. 1st new car in 12 years. Sold on that V8 sound and power and the smooth and quiet ride. Sticker was almost 3000 k cheaper than comparable Chevy or Ford. For me, it was the right choice. Still haven't broken 100 miles yet. If you use a pickup for personal transportation/weekend chores you won't go wrong with the Tundra.
  • eric7eric7 Member Posts: 5
    Are you still there?
  • sharkbait1sharkbait1 Member Posts: 19
    e-mail me at shark-bait@att.net
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    If you paid $3,000 less for a Tundra (with the same equipment) you must have paid $2,000 less than invoice, I am sure many people that are looking for a Tundra would like to know how you did this. Why don't you let us know what type of truck (reg cab, x-cab SR5 limited 4x4, etc) you got & what options and how much you paid. Your price seems like a bunch of BS to me. I have priced Chevy, Ford, Dodge and Toyota on Edmunds and can not believe you are telling the whole story. Does you dad own a Toyota dealership or did you compare a stripped v6 tundra to the MSRP of a fully loaded Ford /Chevy.
  • pomy11pomy11 Member Posts: 23
    Help me out, is this the new formu? No rubluetoo? ok. Got 2100 mile on Tundra since August, bought sideboards, cargo net (neat little deal), and front end bra. Love this truck.
    hey pomy11 how is the fit of the bra any flapping or is it really a tight fit, i am contemplating purchasing one for mine, thank god no rube now we can talk about the reason we are here tundra!
  • powercatpowercat Member Posts: 96
    I've got the Toyota brand Bra on my Tundra and it fits great, it looks great too. Also with respect to my rattle from the back door by the drivers head post a few days ago, I took it in and it required a simple adjustment of the door latch. Had it been a shivvy, it would have required major re-gluing!

Does anyone else have people come up and admire and ask questions about your Tundra? I can't believe the reaction I get driving this truck. It's definitely not a zombie-like blend into the background shivvy that nobody notices any more. No wonder more and more of them are coming to our topic and trashing what they don't have. Let the children cry, if you ignore them, they'll go away or join us!
    Everybody with tundras be sure to go to the following two sites....also post your tundra pics there too.

www.tundrasolutions.com
    www.tundratoys.com

thanks

Incidentally, how does everybody like the VIP3000 alarm. I wouldnt buy it for 400 but I have the option to get it added at the port for cost of 249. What do you all think about this??

Harry
  • ycookmdycookmd Member Posts: 4
    I was browsing this group while bored and I saw your post. I have the RS3000 on my 99 4Runner and so far it's been great!

My favorite 2 things about it are:

1. The beep noise when you lock it is quiet enough so you don't wake the neighbors when you come home at midnight.

2. It lets out this really long "beeeeeeep" if you try to lock it but you leave a door ajar or open.

I wish though that it would beeeeeeep if you tried to lock it but accidentally left a window open -- it does not detect open windows.
  • hoagy1hoagy1 Member Posts: 3
    I got my Tundra a week ago Saturday, SR5 with just about everything. Love it. Has anyone noticed the unique sound of the exhaust. It is hard to describe but it sure is different. Let me know if anyone else has noticed this.
  • newman3newman3 Member Posts: 3
    I picked up my Tundra Limited, TRD last Friday. It's an awesome vehicle. Excellent engineering. I studied the engine for over 1 hour tonight and think Toyota engineers did an excellent job in designing it. I actually find myself feeling sorry for people driving other trucks. Is this a common feeling? Maybe they don't know what they are missing.

I've already put 350 miles on it and on my first fillup, I calculated 15.45 mpg for about a 60/40 mix of city/highway miles. Not too bad.
  • rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    Tundra SR5 2wd - 24,860
    Chevy LS Sportside w/4.8 2wd - 27,6xx

In my math class we estimated and we all came up with the same answer - about $3000 difference in sticker. Only real difference is Chevy had ABS standard, but I got a driver side rear door. These were comparisons of actual sticker prices at dealers where I live.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Rublutoo has been reported, and I believe, banned, with most of his posts deleted, at least the ones where he viloated the Participant's Agreement.

Now we can get back to ACTUALLY discussing the TUNDRA.

Did anyone see this month's Automobile Magazine? Jean Jennings has an article about fun $30k automobiles. Along with the Audi TT, BMW 323i, Mustang Cobra Conv., and Honda S2000, she includes the TRD V8 Tundra! She RAVES about this truck.

To anyone who doesn't know, Jean Jennings is a fabulous automotive writer and seriously one of the most important people in the automotive press. Her kudos to the Tundra carry a LOT of weight.
  • eric7eric7 Member Posts: 5
    Thought you Tundra people might be interested:

Toyota's new 2001 SUV built off the Tundra pickup
    will not replace neither the 4Runner or the Land Cruiser as some rumors have it. Instead, it will be a new addition to the Toyota line-up and will be called "Sequoia." Production starts in September of 2000 and will be in showrooms a month or so thereafter.
    the v8 has a distinctive rumble to it ,you can tell it has all the good stuff inside i love mine
  • powercatpowercat Member Posts: 96
    Actually Toyota went to a lot of trouble tuning the Tundra's exhaust. They had sounds from about 10 or so high performance V-8's and combined the best until they got the Tundra's unique roar. I wonder what the K&N filter would do to the sound if you got on it? Do they make an air filter system for the Tundra yet?

Love the VIP 3000, I also had it on my T-100 & never had any trouble with it.
    Supposedly, Rod Millen is about to produce an aftermarket air cleaner using the K&N filter set-up. I would imagine K&N themselves, as well as Airaid and others will follow suit.

I was initially thinking about putting in a new filter and possibly even an aftermarket exhaust, but I would hate to interfere with the quiet ride within the cab. I guess I'll just have to see/hear some Tundras with these modifications to decide.

Does the VIP3000 alarm use the vehicle's horn or a separate siren?? Does it have a switch for valet mode??

Are you Tundra owners out there under the impression that the Reese hitch that is being installed at the port can be used up to the truck's weight towing limit. One dealer told me it is a class III which suggest a 5000 lb limit set by the hitch, but another informed me that it is rated for the entire towing capability of the truck (7100 for 4wd or 7200 for 2wd).

• rphronrphron Member Posts: 21
    Woo Hoo. After about 6 weeks I have passed the 1000 mile mark. Nice truck, glad I got it. I did get a Line-X spray in liner, so far so good. What does anyone think about an undercoating? Worth the hassle, time and money, does it do any good?

Minor complaint: The doors shut so softly, I always have to do a double take to make sure they are closed all the way when I am leaving the truck.
  • newman3newman3 Member Posts: 3
    OK...I only have 375 miles on my Tundra Limited, TRD, but thinking about the 3,000 mile oil change...

I can see the oil filter from the top, but it above the skin pan. Any suggestions on how to remove the oil filter without having oil run all over the skid pan? I guess a rag or something would suffice, but thought someone might have a better idea...

BTW, I HATE driving my Tundra...because...I like it so much that I'm terribly paranoid of that first dent/ding/scratch! It's an awesome vehicle!!! Driving it is a real treat.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I will give you credit for being able to subtract BUT. Comparing what you paid for the Tundra VS the Full MSRP of the Chevy makes no sense. No one pays full msrp for a new truck, well unless they are a complete fool. The price you quote for the LS 2x is only $600 less than what I paid for a fully loaded Silverado LT 4x4 X-cab with every option except the Cell phone pre wire. Also the chevy must have had additional options because the LS you described would list for $25,500 with an invoice of $22,300. You would be able to buy this truck for $22,600 with no problem. I am not saying you bought the wrong truck, in fact their are reasons to buy the Tundra, A lower initial purchase price is just not one of them.. I needed the extra room and wanted the extra options that the Tundra does not have - otherwise I would have got the Tundra myself.. If it makes you feel better thinking you saved $3K that is fine by me.
    Just a survey here: How many Tundra owners here have owned trucks before? If so, what brand and model? I'm trying to get a feeling on how Toyota is appealing to propective buyers.
    prospective that is
  • mbutvidasmbutvidas Member Posts: 8
    I owned a 1980 Toyota 4X4 that had a 180,000
    miles on it until someone stole it last Feb.
This discussion has been closed.