Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GX460 GX470 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jim10jim10 Member Posts: 6
    I just spoke with a local Lexus dealer in Detroit who will be going to a seminar put on by Lexus on August 17th. I will find out and post what they tell me.

Question for the group:
    1. Is there a way to hook up my iPod to the lexus that doesn't involve a cassette tape or FM radio transmission? I want to have a direct connection so that the input is cleaner while keeping all controls of the iPod on the iPod itself.
    2. Is XM or Sirrius (sp?) sat radio available from Lexus, or do I have to go aftermarket?
    3. Has anyone compared the Infiniti QX 56 to the GX 470? I know that it is a bit of apples and oranges, but they both would fit in my garage.

Many thanks!
    Jim
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I was told the same thing by Lexus of Rockville.

In my opinion, the improved engine that will be in the 2005 is worth waiting for. However, if the price on the 2005 is non-negotiable as the "end of tax year" buyers flood the market (as was the case in the DC area last December), it may be very tough to get a good deal.

Let me know if you find out anything different. I'm tempted to get an order in early at an out of town dealership that will give a decent discount on a 2005 in advance. For whatever reason, Florida and California dealers appear to be discounting the GX470 by as much $5,000. Hopwefully I can find something a little closer, assuming I go with the GX.
  • lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    Might want to try the Owners Club- Lexus board. They should have lots of info on those questions. Goodluck
    Lee_w

Where is this owner's board? Is it here on Edmunds?

Thanks
    Jim
  • lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    Look on the left of screen, Browse by board, select Owners clubs. Goodluck
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It looks like my earlier reply to you got zapped in our software upgrade.

Presently, our Lexus Owners Clubs only has discussions related to the RX300 and LS.

tidester, host
  • gina6gina6 Member Posts: 4
    Hello, very interested in the GX as well. Appears many are purchasing from states other than their primary residence. What are the sales tax implications and/or rules and regulations? And particularly if there are any that may have purchased in CA or OR and live in WA. Thanks.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I just purchased a car out of state. In my neck of the woods (Washington DC) many people who live in Maryland buy in Virginai and vice-versa. Living in DC, we had no choice to buy out of state, since there aren't many auto dealers in DC proper. In the local region, the dealer takes care of collecting the sales tax of the state the car will be permanantly registered in and files for your taxes and tags.

Since we bought outside the local area (Pennsylvania) the dealership did not collect any sales tax. We got a 60 day temporary PA tag and had to pay sales tax when we permanantly registered the car in DC. A little more paperwork, but quite easy and no double taxation, if that's what you are worried about.
  • todd2004todd2004 Member Posts: 18
    Hey Gina6----I live in Indianapolis and have purchased both new and used vehicles out of state in the last year. I bought a year old Lexus LS430 Ultra from a Lexus dealer in Utica, Michigan and a new VW Touareg from MAG in Dublin,Ohio. each was a little different,but both were simple and easy. In Ohio.the dealer did not collect sales tax,so I paid it in Indiana when I titled the vehicle. However, in Michigan, the dealer collected the sales tax so I did not have to pay any when I titled the car. Hope this helps!
  • fitandreadyfitandready Member Posts: 2
    Am about to pick up GX470 with NAV/ML, 3rd Row Seat, Cargo Mats, Wheel Lock for $45,900 plus tax, title, etc... Having checked with 12 dealers in my area (NY/NJ/CT), this was the best I could find. Anyone find a better deal?
  • suzhousuzhou Member Posts: 2
    Your purchase price is really good. Would you c are to let me know where you got your car? Your email address is marked private. Can you send me an email? My email is samuel_chen@comcast.net.
    Best regard,
    Samuel Chen
  • suzhousuzhou Member Posts: 2
    Would you care to share where you found your deal? I believe your deal is extremely good.

Best wishes,
    Samuel Chen

samuel_chen@comcast.net
  • wli28wli28 Member Posts: 3
    I just purchase a GX470 this weekend w Nav/ML, 3rd Row Seat, Cargo Mats and Net, spoiler, wheel lock for $46,350...so you confirmed I did just as well (the difference between your price and mine is the spoiler for $450, right?)

Can you let me know which dealership you bought yours, and i am happy to share the same w you, reason being I also got quotes from 5 dealerships in CT, NY and NJ...and ended up with one with the most reasonable pricing. I was always told this is a good time to buy a car as dealers will discount $5,000 off earlier prices, but i am really not sure if they did or not...what do you think? When I asked the salesman what my car's invoice price is, he could not tell me...so how do i know what i paid over invoice?? I was not sure if I did well until i saw your email...thanks.
  • fitandreadyfitandready Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I actually ended up paying $45,500 + tx, lic...
    What I found is that it's less the dealer and more how and when you approach them. End of month is definitely good. Also when you call them, tell them : 1) you are ready to buy 2) know exactly which are you want 3) you got a deal from another dealer for $xx,xxx. Keep calling the dealers until you get the price you are comfortable with. The GX470 had invoice of $45,294 so I guess the dealer only made about $200. Prestige Lexus was willing to do $45,500, but I could have also gotten the same deal at Ray Catena Lexus. It looked like these are were really open to making deals. Good luck.
  • griz77griz77 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought one for $43k+tax 3rd row, spoiler, trailer hitch & receiver, cargo mats, rear net, wheel locks & lojack.

I do notice a very subtle vibration between 55-60 mph, has anyone had this if so what fixed the problem?
  • griz77griz77 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought one for $43k+tax 3rd row, spoiler, trailer hitch & receiver, cargo mats, rear net, wheel locks & lojack.

I do notice a very subtle vibration between 55-60 mph, has anyone had this if so what fixed the problem?
    Just leased one from Lexus of Ann Arbor.

Invoice $52,300
    Paid $47,100

Has everything except KDSS and rear seat entertainment

Good deals ending today... at least that is what they want me to think.

They dealt fairly with me.

FYI
    Jim
  • sychansychan Member Posts: 12
    Grizz77, your price of $43k+tax is very good. Mind sharing which dealer/state you got this nice deal from. Thanks.

Also, you may want to check on the vibration situation ASAP - many other owners have had this problem and had to replace the driveshaft. I was hoping the models coming out now would not have this vibration. Was looking to purchase now, but this is making me want to wait for a couple months until the '05 models come out.
  • doublebogeydoublebogey Member Posts: 2
    I am very interested in a loaded GX or LX ... could you please email the contacts at each of the above mentioned dealers.. Ray Catena & Prestige... I will contact them tonight... could have a new car tomorrow!!! Thanks for your help!
    You price sounds very very good, does it include navigation system? I paid $46,350 just this past weekend with similar options. I wonder if the $3,350 diff is the navigation system with the reverse backup screen viewing.

Thanks.
  • katedeskatedes Member Posts: 7
    I got my GX470 last night for $46000+lic & tax. It has 3rd row seat, Nav/Mark Levinson Audio Package, Backup Camera w/ Steering Wheel Voice command button, cargo mat/net, wheel locks, rear spoiler and exhaust tip. DVD ent is being installed for additional $1400 which I am having it done tomorrow. I love my new SUV!!!
  • gxfangxfan Member Posts: 11
    Would you let us know 1) where you got it (State, City)? and 2) if the DVD is an aftermarket unit, is it connected directly to the head unit for better sound or if they use the FM module.
    Thanks!
    Hi! I purchased mine in San Diego, CA. To my understanding the DVD is connected directly to the head unit. It's a SONY 9" screen w/ wireless headphones.
  • gxfangxfan Member Posts: 11
    That is a great deal ... let us how the picture quality of Sony Overhead DVD and please confirm the direct connection of the aftermarket DVD.
  • toottoottoottoot Member Posts: 13
    Sounds like a solid price. I am in San Diego too can you tell me which dealership? San Diego or Carlsbad?

Thanks!
    Bob Baker Lexus in El Cajon.
    Hi Katedes, where are you having your DVD installed? That sounds like a great price and I would like to do the same. Pls let me know how the installation goes. I am in NY, not sure where i can find a reliable installer. My sales person told me I need to be super careful not to have someone mess up the wires....

Many Thanks
    Wendy
  • arbarb Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a GX470 for 48K + tax and Lic in N. California.
    Fully loaded. MLV, Rear Ent, KDSS, 3rd row seats, tow hitch, Navigation, corgo mat, net etc, Black emblum, wheel locks, spoiler.

Dealer treated us good, no hassles.
    Is this a good price ?
  • jtscjtsc Member Posts: 2
    Hi fitandready
    Does your $45,500 + tx including destination charges? Many thanks,
  • daraius1daraius1 Member Posts: 3
    Is $3000 over invoice for a fully loaded GX 470 a good deal in the DC / Metro Area or can I do better. Anyone know what the Costco Buying Program deal is?? Please help
  • lexus27lexus27 Member Posts: 3
    I bought the same GX from Bob Baker. The aftermarket DVD player you are buying (same as mine) is connected to the main unit via FM modulation. No, it will never sound as good as if it is directly wired like in the factory system. You will get interference at some point.

Secondly, they will install the DVD under the seat. It's a hassle if you want to change DVDs.
    They will find every excuse not to install it at the center console. Make sure everything works after you get the vehicle!!! - like interior lights etc.

NOTE: The dealership has excellent service. The DVD shop gets a lower rating.
  • mddmdd Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a loaded GX 470 and agreed to have the DVD RES installed by the dealer. It turned out great and is wired directly to the vehicles sound system. It was mounted up above as one unit and the screen is larger than the one that comes from the factory. It is made by Rosen. So far we can't complain. It looks great and has not had a problem since we purchased it.

On another note, we did have a stron vibration at 60 mph that we noticed after we bought the car. The dealer took the vehicle for the day and replaced the Dunlop's with Michilens and it completly solved the problem.
    can I ask how you switch to the TV sound from the control panel? Maybe its time to visit the audio shop again.

thanks for the info.
  • clkgxclkgx Member Posts: 1
    I am buying an 04 GX with Third Row, RSES and spoiler, the sticker is $50,400 and dealer offered me the vehicle for $45,200, including a $500 Dealer Fee, Do you think I can get a better price on an 04, or should I just execute the deal and buy it.
    Hi! I honestly think that you can get a better deal than what you are being offered. Please shop around. I was offered $43300 for the same vehicle (with similar options like yours)I ended up paying $46000 (with Nav, 3rd row seat, spoiler, tow hitch and cargo/mat and the dealer's shipping and handling fee is already included too). Good luck!!!
    I'm sorry! I didn't notice that RSES is also included. For the price of $43200, it sounds like a really good deal.
  • mddmdd Member Posts: 2
    the sound is swithced on the DVD unit not up front. It can be set to run through the sound system or through the headsets or both It really has been great. I was concerned at first.
  • lvlarry3lvlarry3 Member Posts: 5
    I just wanted to alert all in So. California about the horrible experience we had with Lexus of Cerritos. Typical "bait and switch" Dealer just like the old days (suede shoes) and NOT typical for a Lexus dealer. We dealt with an Internet Manager. Everybody is a "manager". The lady was very nice, not the best price, but we we were willing to pay a little more to do business with her. This was our 7th Lexus. Always been a Tier 1 Buyer. She supposedly had us preapproved prior to driving all the way from Las Vegas to pick up the car. After 2 hours of puttsing around (a delay tactic), we became Tier 3 Buyers. Blamed it on the Finance Manager who blamed the Sales Manager and neither had the courtesy to talk with us face to face. The lady kept running back and forth (Just like the old days). She even let me transfer personal items from our 2000 ES300 lease return to the new GX470. They thought they had us by the "short hairs". Obviously we didn't buy the car. Turned around and drove back home. Beware and good luck. Bought one a week later from Crown Lexus in Ontario. Better price, Tier 1 financing, delivered the car to my front door.
  • dvudvu Member Posts: 3
    how much did you pay over invoice? What option did you get. Did the general manager hassle you once you bought the car?

DV
    That is one option I have not heard of and I've done a lot of research on the net. My DVD unit also has the headset but to hear the sound thru the system, I need to switch to FM on the head unit tuned to a specific frequency.

You are saying that you just need to switch something on the DVD unit. Can I then ask, while the DVD is playing and the sound is going thru the main system, what is your system set to - TAPE?, CD?, FM?. It must be set on one of these somehow. Or is it off? Or it doesn't matter, as long as the DVD is switched, the sounds goes to the system no matter what the setting is.

I've done some audio work on my previous cars, and this one interests me. Please let me know. Also, who ever did the work did great, do you know the sound shop that did it or dealer?

Thanks,
    lexus27
    Was offered $49.000 OTD for '04 with MLS/Nav, 3rd row seat, spoiler, tow hitch, wheel locks, cargo/mat. In my area (southern CA), this is approx $44.8 (plus tax and license) which seems to be about $500 over invoice. Itching to pull the trigger but not sure if I should wait for '05 model coming out shortly - any thoughts?
  • bkosaianbkosaian Member Posts: 4
    Visited Lexus dealer today, considering GX, the salesperson said 05 would have new engine but not sure of any other changes. Does anyone know what if any changes 2005 will bring?

Thanks
  • paymanmdpaymanmd Member Posts: 2
    i did call the lexus dealer in rockville, md yesterday and spoke w/ a sales rep.....he did indeed say that the 2005 will have a more powerful engine...how much more he did not know....he also said the navigation system will be a newer model.......that's all he could confirm....he said there might be other changes but he couldn't confirm them....so i think we are in for changes......
  • ttcttc Member Posts: 17
    was offered in portland oregon with $4,500 off MSRP on a GX470 04 model. will go and negotial lower price.
  • allan4allan4 Member Posts: 3
    can you please tell me the dealership name and city you bought your gx470 at? the $43,300 is a really good price. also just fyi, lexus has made the 3rd row seat a standard item....so that means the $2000 goes away effective immediately! i found an 04 with nav, spoiler and 3rd row seats with 8700 miles for $43,500...but your $43,300 for a brand new one(w/o nav) sounds better to me...really dont care about the navigation option...
    The '04 models are being heavily discounted now, at least in southern CA. I was going to wait for a new '05 but could not pass on these deals. I have 2 dealers offering $44,200 for one with MLS/Nav, 3rd row seat, spoiler, tow hitch, wheel locks, cargo/mat. This was $600 less than what I was offered several days ago and seems to be about invoice price. The nice thing is they are brand new trucks currently on the port, so aside from the delivery drivers, I will be the only person who ever drives it. During test drive, I'll just have to watch out for problems some owners mentioned here: the vibration going 60 MPG and thump when making a stop. Hoping with these being the latest trucks being made, there should be no problems.
  • ttcttc Member Posts: 17
    great info, looks like should wait till the very end of 2004 and see if the price goes really low, i guess the high gas price turns down the sale volume and stack up the GX470 inventory.... :-)
    TTC, I would have waited until the very end of the '04 model year (I assume Nov '04?) for the absolute lowest price but I was picky about the color combo as well as my options. I don't think at the price I received, $44.2k, which is less than invoice and about $8k less than MSRP, it would be that much lower - but I could be wrong. It was worth it to me to pay this amount and get exactly what I wanted.
    Hi! It was offered to me by Kearny Mesa Lexus in San Diego but I ended up getting the one with Nav for $46000 (incl destination charge) at Bob Baker Lexus also in San Diego. I hope that helps.
  • ronironi Member Posts: 14
    hi can u please let me know the dealership name and number wont mind driving to make a deal AROUND 44200 in southern california and here in seattle they still are hanging in 47000.

LET ME KNOW IF ANY ONE GOT BETTER DEAL IN SEATTLE

RONI