Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GX460 GX470 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

george05george05 Member Posts: 2
Hello to everyone. First of all thanks to all of you for helping me better understand the GX and what target price to shoot for. I dropped by a few dealers today and received a price quote of $48,200 which includes Nav/ML/3rd seat, rear spoiler,tow,wheel locks,cargo net, mats,and lexus link,plus $2000 for extended warrenty. Do you think this is a decent deal?

Comments

• george05george05 Member Posts: 2
    can you purchase extended warrenty after you purchase ?
    thanks
  • JPhamJPham Member Posts: 148
  • ramped1ramped1 Member Posts: 159
  • JPhamJPham Member Posts: 148
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    george05 - It looks like you have a good deal for $5000+ off the MSRP. But I wouldn't bother the extended warranty. The basic bumper-to-bumper warranty is 4 years/50000 miles. And $2000 seems too much for me just for another 2 to 3 years. Even I intend to keep the car for 6 or 7 years, I am still not consider the warranty because it is Lexus. If you still interested the warranty, negoiate the best deal from the dealer. My dealer first quoted $1300 for my 03 Camry for 6 yrs warranty. I refused and the lowed it at $585. I insisted because I plan to keep my for 3 years. This is another way for dealer to make profit beside the sale of the car, prep & handling fee (if finance through the dealer), aftermarket accessories and this extended warranty.
  • atebeleatebele Member Posts: 1
    George, that pricing sounds too good to be true. What region of the country are you in, because every dealer I've spoken to has said they will knock off about 500-1000 off of MSRP. My advice is if you can get that deal don't hesitate.
  • triplenettriplenet Member Posts: 6
    $5K off seems far fetched, but if true, why wait?
    I picked up an '04 last week for $2K off MSRP on almost loaded GX all doc fees,bottled water fee, nice lounge fee, etc, included (no trade, finance,"protect ants" or extded warr.). Was looking for '03 but missed out-they were $1-3K off. Faxed, emailed and called dealers in 450 mile radius and took best deal. '04's were offered at list to $1K off. Closest dealers are min 100 miles opposite directions of me. Went with a dealer further out as they had the truck and the deal. I like the truck.
  • newleaseenewleasee Member Posts: 2
    I live in the same geographic area and was wondering what other bids you got? (from which dealers?) I was also interested in knowing if you leased or purchased?

Thanks so much,
    Sheryl
  • zelda3zelda3 Member Posts: 4
    I am trying to decide between these two vehicles. I have driven and like both. I am a bit concerned about reliability with the Volvo but like its looks, durability, and rear door setup. I have driven a Landcruiser for four years with three active children and am afraid we may be too rough on the Lexus. We are in Raleigh, NC, and the best the Lexus dealership will do is $1000.00 off MSRP. Anybody out there with pricing, dealership, and other suggestions? Which truck will be best?
  • bjoyebjoye Member Posts: 35
    zelda,
    what did you think of the comparison between the two when you drove them? I was not very excited by the Volvo. It was fine all around, nothing really to complain about too much, it just didn't do anything special for me as far as ride, power, interior, etc... I think it's attractive, but nothing like the GX. For reliability, prestige, and even value in this case, I like the GX. I'm in Greensboro and plan to go by the Kernersville Lexus dealership soon, I'll let you know what I can get on the GX.
  • zelda3zelda3 Member Posts: 4
    bjoye:

Thanks for the input. Please do let me know how you do at the Kernersville Lexus dealership as I had already thought about driving out there to look there and see about their pricing, stock.
  • andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    Always interesting to see the discount price differences in certain regions.
    My first thought of getting $5K off MSRP on the 2004 GX is, "Wow! Is that even possible?"
    Now by the middle of the year and especially by August-September of 2004, I have no doubt the discounts will be $5K to even $7K.
    If I can only get $1K-$2K off MSRP, I would probably buy the 2004 MDX with side curtain air bags for all three rows since I can get $1-2K off MSRP on that, and basically pay $10K less.
    But I would definitely wait until the end of the year and get the $6-7K off MSRP on the GX.
  • thanhplethanhple Member Posts: 3
    I was offered a price of $50,200 for a fully loaded (Nav/DVD/Third row/Tow/Lexus link/...)2003 GX470 including the gold package. Is that a good deal? They ask for a finance rate of 3.99%.
    That's a terrible deal.
    Seems like they offered you only $3K off MSRP. At this time during the year, you should get at least $5K off MSRP on a 2003 GX. If you work harder, you may get $5.5K to $6K off.
    Keep in mind that for the GX you mentioned, the mark-up is about $8-9K above invoice.
    OH, by the way, you can get 3.69% financing from Capitol One (advertised on Edmunds.com).
    I've used them before.
    MSRP on that car is 53950 (TMV is 52254). The gold package is about $600 plus installation. So I figured I got almost 5K off of the deal. You still don't think it's good? I offered them 49K, and they didn't even want to budge. I've tried to offer that amount to two different dealerships already.
  • tony50tony50 Member Posts: 15
    In which city/area do you live? Are there other Lexus dealerships a couple of hours driving time away? As we approach the end of a fiscal quarter and if a relatively large dealership is close to making his quota, the dealership is much more willing to bargain and secure his bonus. Maybe the one you are dealing with is nowhere close or already has made his numbers and is not in the "mood" to deal. Call around for quotes from bigger dealerships not in the local area. A two or three hour drive seems worth a thousand bucks or two?
  • redhawk2redhawk2 Member Posts: 10
    The absolute best way to get the largest discount of MSRP on an 04 GX (or 03) is "Do Not Talk to a Salesman"!!! Talk to the fleet manager by going through an Auto Buying Service or Club such as Costco or AAA. I have done it for the last six cars I have purchased and have save "thousands" on each purchase!
    I live in Bellevue, Washington state. The two dealers I'm dealing with are the two biggest in my state. I've gone through Costco and AAA programs, and their prices are even worse than my own deals. I've checked around with other GX owners that I know, and they all paid much higher than this. If you know anywhere else that offer better deal I'm willing to try out. Thanks so much for your help.
    thanhple - The best deal that I have on 2003 GX is $5.6K off for Nav., ML stereo, DVD player and 3rd seat. I didn't ask for tow hitch because I don't tow. And I don't need Lexus Link. I believe it costs me $47K before tax, license & title. In the meanwhile, I already got $3.5K off on 2004 with the same equipment, now Nav. comes with back up camera. I am not a big fan of gold emblem package or extended warranty specially for Lexus. I feel like paying $1K to $2K for two more years of warranty. I would keep it for the gas money.
  • skip30skip30 Member Posts: 33
    No back up camera until the first of the year.
    zelda3 - There are several discussions on RX330 board, RX330 vs. XC90. Some people ended up buying the Lexus because of its features and engine (compares to 2.5T XC90) and paying MSRP for the Volvo. For the features, performance and price range, I think the XC90 is far behind the GX470.
  • donovan8donovan8 Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a 2004 GX470 with everything (rear entertainment, nav system w/Levison, 3rd row seat,tow package, cargo net, spoiler) for $48,700 through lexusus.com. I had done a lot of internet shopping and talking with a couple of local dealers here in San Diego and they were $1,000 off anyone else and $3,000 off MSRP. They located the car at a dealership just north of me (75 miles) but will deliver it to my work. The complaint I have is most of the sales people were telling me that you basiclly have to take 2 or 3 of the packages if you don't want to wait several months for your car. I wouldn't have bought the nav system but for the price I think I got a good deal.
  • midas3midas3 Member Posts: 1
    I received a quote through lexus.com of 47000.00
    for Navigation System/Mark Levinson® Audio Package - Third Row Seat/Rear Air Conditioner
      - Tow Hitch Bracket. Is this a good price ?
    That's what I got a quote from the dealer, but it was for 03 model two months ago. And it was including the factory installed DVD RES. I wonder if your 04 has the rearview camera with the Nav/ML package. Isn't it a late available item? I think your price is good, consider more than $5K off the MSRP. How much are you going to pay for out the door price?
    I can't speak for midas3, but I'm pretty sure the KDSS, backup camera and rollover sensing airbags won't be available until the November builds, which puts them in the states in late December, early January--at least that's what I've been told by every dealer I've talked to. I'd love to have the KDSS/airbags/camera, but I don't think I can cut it that close to the end of the year for tax time. If you're not using it as a business tax deduction, I'd wait a couple of months and get those features. But who knows how much they'll cost.
    My Lexus dealer called yesterday and said they had just talked to the "factory" and that the NEW options: KDSS, Back-up Camera and New NAV System will be on the builds beginning the first week of November with deliveries mid-to-late December. For anyone that does not have an Advance Order plan on mid-to-late January or later. No pricing yet available on the new options.
    redhawk2,
    Are you saying that all of the new '04s with the new options are already sold to customers? Do you mean deposits are already down on them? I wouldn't think the dealers would even know how many they were going to be allocated yet.

And I'm still trying to find someone, anyone that has completed a transaction via LexusUs.com. I'm a little nervous about buying from across country and having it shipped without me seeing it first.
    bjoye,
    Dealers have been taking deposits for many weeks for future delivery of 470 with new options. They don't have to know their allocation to take advance orders. If allocation exceeds current deposits/advance orders, then there could be some available to others. It might be black or some options plus or minus what depositors or you might want. It is a real guessing game until there are many sitting on the lot looking for buyers.
  • donovan8donovan8 Member Posts: 4
    I took delivery of my 2004 GX470 today.
    Delivered at work in San Diego by Mission Viejo Lexus in Orange County-75 miles.
    Cost $48,773, 0 down, 3.85% 48 months through the deakership.
    has everything DVD, Third seat, Nav/Levison, tow package,rear spolier, cargo net.
    Happy so far
    So how did the dealership deliver the GX to you--did someone individually drive the vehicle the 75 miles to you or did some delivery company drive it to the nearest lexus dealer who then brought it to you?

At the hand-off, did someone go over the vehicle checking for any damage and explain how to operate some of the systems, if you asked?

Did the GX have a temporary tag on it so you could legally drive it until your permanent plates come in?

Who keeps the title until the GX is paid off, the bank or you?

Did you ask Mission Viejo Lexus about doing a special order for your GX? If so, could you still get the $4 to $5K off the MSRP? Or, did you just get the most popular configuration with the best discount available?

It looks like you got a great deal. The real test is would you use these guys again?
    Let's here about the LexusUs.com experience. You may have read my thread about them on this and the other GX forum. One of the main operators had been charged with defrauding customers in car deals in Florida. Please tell us about your experience.
    Man, after seeing you guys talk about them, I would never do any kind of business with them.
  • st61st61 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of trading in my 2000 Rx300 for a 2004 GX. they have offered me $19,000 for my trade in and $49500 for a new 2004 GX with Nav, DVD and 3rd row seat. Is it a good deal. I will have to wait 2 -4 weeks for the white, 2 weeks for the ash blue. Any thoughts. They also have a 2003 Meridian blue on the lot they will sell me for $47000 with all of the above plus a spoiler. but the blue scares me with scratches.
    Glad to hear you had a smooth transaction. I agree that if what they say they are doing--simply matching up dealers with buyers for a finder's fee from the dealer is actually the truth, then the risks should be limited to working with a dealer far away from you. If they don't handle any of your money, then you should be OK.

As far as working with a dealer on another coast, I'd be concerned about them leaving off certain options such as a spoiler or tow hitch or something like that and stiffing you for the $500 or so and saying that wasn't included. That's actually mentioned by a customer on their website testimonials, that her spoiler got left off. I guess you could minimize your risks by having some sort of written contract with a copy of the invoice or window sticker specifying exactly what you were getting.

Perhaps this guy found a legitimate business this time, I don't know. Maybe donovan8 got lucky. I just know my brain won't let me knowingly do business with someone who's been charged with fraud. I guess I'll pay around $500 for the peace of mind.
    Couldn't you just get the dealer's phone number from LexusUS.com and then call the dealer just to verify the transaction?
    If you wanted extended warranty, you would have to talk to the dealer directly anyway. So if you call the dealer and tell them what's going on, and if they can verify doing business with LexusUS.com, then there should not be a problem.
    But yeah, as long as I don't have to give LexusUS.com any cash, that's okay by me.
    andrew,
    I don't think you even need to do that. From what I understood, LexusUs just negotiated the price and model with you and when you said yes, they would put you in touch with the dealer and then you and the dealer handled the rest and they stepped out of the way.
    Has anyone ordered from a dealer on the other coast, and how smooth did the delivery go? Did Bubba just drop it in the driveway and split, or did a Lexus sales rep do it making sure all was well? If some option you ordered was not there or there was damage, how smoothly was it resolved? I think this is what bothers most people about cross-country orders. It is a whole lot easier just to drive the vehicle back to the local dealer and get the problem fixed than complaining about it 3000 miles away.
  • jexus2jexus2 Member Posts: 4
    I am looking to buy my GX in early 2004, when KDSS and the rearview camera become available. Can anyone recommend to me a reputable dealer in Northern or Southern California who will deal? I will go anywhere in California. What have people been purchasing '04s for recently? Thanks in advance.
  • lehighlexuslehighlexus Member Posts: 94
    Donovan8 has been posting the same thing for the past couple months. They are the exact posts. Obviously, it is a scam. Why do you think he is the only person talking about the company??? Look at every other discussion and you will find it.
  • jexus2jexus2 Member Posts: 4
    I'm not sure what you are saying. Are you implying that I am Donovan8? Nope. Donovan8 touts Lexusus.com, which I think is very suspicious.

I want to know the names of dealerships in CA where people are getting good deals at. I don't want to travel out of the state because I want the ability to hold the dealership accountable. I live in No. Cal, and I find the motivation somewhat lacking. About $3k off MSRP is what I am running into.
    Can't tell you about California, but in North Carolina, I found one dealer out of three that was willing to go to $3K off MSRP, another stopped at $2K, the third finally offered to match the $3K but I was already put out with them by then. They said they really didn't need to discount these trucks to sell them.
  • vikesfan1vikesfan1 Member Posts: 2
    Just took MN delivery of GX 470 having dealt first with Lexusus and then brokered to Lexus of Glendale in CA. Saved approx $4,000 off of MSRP. Shipping to MN was $650. I can honestly tell all that are interested that this was nothing but a positive experience from the initial contact to delivery. I would do it again in a heartbeat!!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Anybody know the status of the Florida litigation?

link

Lexusus, fleetrates, and cardealsus.com all have the same address when you do a whois search and all point to Luxury Cars of Palm Beach, Inc., the defendant listed in the above press release from the Florida AG's office.

Steve, Host
    How did Glendale deliver the GX to you, by trailer truck to your home? Did you do a check-over with the delivery guy? Would you do business with Glendale and LexusUS again?

As for the dealerships in MN, did you ask any to match Glendale's offer? Did any come close?
  • vikesfan1vikesfan1 Member Posts: 2
    car transport carrier arranged by lexus of glendale delivered the GX to my front door. I spent about 10 min going over making sure no scratches, rock chips, etc. Interior had been wrapped in plastic by the dealer to assure no dirt on the inside. As previously mentioned, I would make another purchase via this way both through lexusus and lexus of glendale. also, salesman at lexus of glendale phoned at a pre-arrainged time, on their $, and spent approx 1 hour going over the GX.

best I could do from local dealers was 1,000 off msrp
  • dsurowiecdsurowiec Member Posts: 6
    I went through fleetrates.com. received 4k off MSRP. The new 2004 GX 9700C has tire pressure monitor and rear backup camera with NAV option.

Fleetrate was great. Very informed and all transactions are done through the lexus dealer at the Fleetrate price. No problems and only 1 transaction thru fedex from/to the lexus dealer. Should be getting the GX in about 12-15days.
  • motu1motu1 Member Posts: 6
    Congrats on a nice deal. Does the 9700C also have the roll-sensing curtain airbags (RSCA)?
  • dsurowiecdsurowiec Member Posts: 6
    Yes. I have a copy of a Lexus District News memo that says the following:
     New features - 2004 GX470

Begining In November production, The GX470 will offer two new standard features:
    1) Tire pressure monitor system
    2) All new Roll-Sensing Side Curtain Airbag System

These features have been added with no increase to the base MSRP. Additionally, Lexus is also offering an all-new Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System available for an option price of $1,750. Finally, the Navigation system on the GX470 has been enhanced to now include a rear back-up camera, similar to the RX330 and LS430. The price of the Navigation System with Camera and Mark Levinson Audio package (NL) will be 3,050, reflecting a $350 price adjustment. These vehicles will show up in your inventory as 9700C instead of 9700B.
  • motu1motu1 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the info! The local dealer knew nothing about the updates (except for the camera). Glad to hear the news. I paid about $5k under at Lexus of Thousand Oaks and the vehicle is due-in mid-December. But, I don't know if this type of deal is repeatable because of special circumstances. We committed to a 1st vehicle only to find that it sold 10 minutes prior. Then, we worked the price lower on another color and committed, only to later find it had the wrong color leather (gray). I think I got a good deal because they were trying to move the 9700B units and I was lucky enough to get switched into a 9700C. Anyway, I'd say $3-4k off msrp for the 9700C units is still a great price. For you shoppers out there, I highly recommend Lexus of Thousand Oaks. Thanks again for the info David S.