Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• seabushseabush Member Posts: 68
    Great deal! These forums have taught me a lot. It isn't unreasonable to expect to purchase a new vehicle at 88%-90% of MSRP. You can get as low as 80% if cash-back rebate is in effect.
  • atoewsatoews Member Posts: 637
    You purchased a 2006 for 88.4% MSRP, which is a pretty good deal. I'll include your quote in my next summary.

Sorry for my misquote. You deal sounded so similar to vxlexus's that I just typed that quote in by accident.
  • vklexusvklexus Member Posts: 4
    Paid $30,455 + title + Tags + tax + Doc Fee.
    MSRP $34,384

No Bargaining involved.
  • aaronb1aaronb1 Member Posts: 6
    Firstly, thanks to all who have posted here. This information has been very helpful.

I will likely be looking to buy a new car, probably an ES330, sometime next year (can't move right now to take advantage of year end '05 deals, so I will be waiting till '06es are more flexible in pricing.) I know a couple things that I want for sure, but not sure how to make sure I am getting quotes for comparable cars from dealers. I see four trim levels on some websites, like vehix, but I see a large variety of options on other sites, like this one, so I am not sure if each car is built to a particular trim/option level, or if there are many possible configurations. Basically I want a car pretty well loaded up, with Levinson sound system a requirement. I do not want chrome wheels. No color preference except not white. Is there an exact package to ask for quotes for? Sorry if this is already posted somewhere; I couldn't find an answer to this particular question, but I might have missed it since there are many pages of posts to check.

Also, anyone have a particluar dealer in the Atlanta to recommend or avoid? Thanks in advance. :)
  • dshahsdshahs Member Posts: 35
    If you paid 33,200 and otd price of 36,000, thats a difference of 2,800. How much is tax in california?? Here in Mass its only 5%. I am just curious. :lemon:
  • dshahsdshahs Member Posts: 35
    Most 2006 es 330 dont come with Mark Levinson audio system. 90% of the cars with Navigation dont come with Mark Levinson and the other 10% are built with Mark Levinson but with particular color(blue shale and silver pine mica). If you want the Mark Levinson you would have to order it specially thru Lexus and may take a month to get it though. Make sure you let the dealer know that you specifically want the Mark Levinson otherwise you will get the pioneer audio, which to me is very crappy and should not even be in a car this expensive.

:lemon:
    I live in the Washington, DC area. A fully loaded (i.e., HH, HL, HN, NL, VV, WU, DC, Z1) runs around $39,200. Based on the various posts, it seems that $34,500 is a target price for a fully loaded 2006 ES 330.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi nkay. You never mentioned the selling price of the car that you are interested in leasing. This is an important number for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing the price of the car that you want to lease you don't know how good a price you are getting it for. The second reason is that one needs the selling price of a vehicle that they want to lease is that it is necessary to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion on this deal if you let me know what this car's selling price is.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Obviously, if price is more important than get the 06 ES sometime around February or March. Lexus also has December to remember sale where you could get some very good price. But remember, the all new ES is coming out next Spring I am guessing some time around March or April. That car would have a more powerful engine (3.5L probably close to 270 Hp) and a whole host of improvement. But then again you probably wouldn't get a good price on an 07. But keep in mind that if you want to buy an 06 next year, your resale value isn't going to be very good because of the all new 07 model.
    I'm not too concerned about resale because I plan on driving this thing for 10+ years (trading in a 92 Civic.) Reliability and the Levinson sound system are the reasons I am looking at a Lexus. also look at the 07s redesign coming out as hopefully an opportunity to get a better deal on an 06. Plus, my financial plan doesn't allow for a new car for a couple months anyway.

Looks like from what dshahs says above, the Levinson option is pretty rare, so I guess I will have to see what's out there with ML sound when I am ready to buy, and take it from there. I bet most of the cars with Levinson sound are pretty well loaded up, so I shouldn't be lacking any options I want. But again, I am pretty flexible in the option and color department.
    YOU MUST GET THE ML SOUND SYSTEM !!!!!!!!! Don't get the standard stereo that comes with the ES. It absolutely sucks compare to the ML. I am somewhat surprised that the ML system is hard to find for MY 06. My uncle's 02 ES300 has the ML sound system whereas my Camry has Pioneer stereo system, the same stereo used on the base ES and there is no comparison.
  • bhavinpabhavinpa Member Posts: 19
    Los Angeles tax rate is 8.25%.
  • inmrkt4lexusinmrkt4lexus Member Posts: 4
    The ML system is not listed as an available option on 'Build your Lexus' for the DC area. I have sent an email to area dealers to see if this is the case. There is a 900 price difference between ND and NL.
    Pohanka lexus quoted 35580 for 2006 ES330 with FI, HH, HL, HN, ND, WU.
    I just checked the Lexus website and found no mention of the Mark Levinson sound system for MY 06. Has Lexus discontinued the ML system for 06 ?That would suck big time. Did anyone bought an 06 with the ML sound system. :confuse:
    The options vary based on the zip code you enter. CA zip codes provide the most packages, ML being one of them. It is confusing because the website does not list ML option for the DC metro area which includes Northern VA. But I found a 2006 listed in the inventory for Lindsay Lexus in VA with ML option. It was offered on only 1 of 66 new cars listed on the site. I tried zip codes from MA to FL along the east coast on the lexus web site and none of them came up with ML option. So, I guess if you want the option, you have to hope that the area dealer has a few cars with it. But that means that the price becomes less negotiable.
    Does anyone know what kind of discounts are offered during the 'Dec to remember' program? Perhaps, some one remembers the 2004 program. I have been able to find out from using google that the finance rates were lowered. I was not able to find out whether there were any price discounts or additional options offered (big red bow does not count). Appreciate any help.
    I emailed the local Atlanta dealers to get their take on the ML option, and so far they report it being readily available here. Here are the package levels and prices one dealer replied with for the 2006 models:

- MSRP $34,384 Level 1 17" Wheels & Summer Tires, Wood Trim Steering Wheel, 6 CD In-Dash Changer, Wheel locks, Cargo Net, and Cargo Mat

- MSRP $35,874 Level 2 17" Wheels & Summer Tires, Wood Trim Steering Wheel, 6 CD In-Dash Changer, Heated & Ventilated Seats, High Intensity Headlights & Rain Sensing Wipers, Power Rear Shade, Wheel locks, Cargo Net, and Cargo Mat

- MSRP $37,524 Level 3 17" Wheels & Summer Tires, Wood Trim Steering Wheel, Heated & Ventilated Seats, High Intensity Headlights & Rain Sensing Wipers, Power Rear Shade, Navigation System, Wheel locks, Cargo Net, and Cargo Mat

- MSRP $39,214 Level 4 17" Wheels & Summer Tires, Wood Trim Steering Wheel, Heated & Ventilated Seats, High Intensity Headlights & Rain Sensing Wipers, Power Rear Shade, Navigation System, Mark Levinson Audio, Adjustable pedals, Wheel locks, Cargo Net, and Cargo Mat

This answers my question from earlier about what to ask for when getting quotes. Looks like if I want Levinson sound, I need quotes on Level 4 cars.
    Good that Atlanta dealers are able to procure vehicles with all the options. I just got an email from a Virginia dealer that ML system and adjustable pedals have to be special ordered. Another salesperson that I spoke with at the dealership said that there will be a 3 to 4 month wait for adjustable pedals. He said that the cars for East coast dealers are shipped to New Jersey and South Carolina.
    By the way, I entered 2 zip codes, 30303 and 30319 in the lexus website. Neither returned an option package containing ML and adjustable pedals. So, your dealer must be maintaining pretty good inventory.
    Lexus Lindsay is located in my area. They have 10 ($39,074 MSRP) 2006 models with ML system included:

See the following:

http://lindsaylexusof.reachlocal.net/new_inventory.htm?start=35
    I have tracked prices for the past couple of years, and although Lexus does not advertise lower prices (only better financing), the prices in December are typically lower, perhaps up to savings of about 1-1.5% MSRP. In other words, where vehicles typically go for 90% MSRP, they are more obtainable for 88.5%-89% in December.

My view is that this is because of two reasons:

1. Vehicles purchases slow in winter and Lexus wants to encourage folks to visit the dealerships.
    2. It can be close to the end of the model year.

I would predict fairly good prices on 2006s because of many estimates that have the 2007 into the dealerships by Spring of 2006.

The 2007 will be a major change, if Lexus sticks to its pattern of making major design changes every five years.
    This is why we exclude government charges when we quote posters' deals.

Government charges vary a lot from state to state, but MSRP is the same for the same options regardless of where the vehicle is purchased. Note that even the destination charge is the same in all states.
    Yes, this is why, when posting deals, I don't pay attention to terms like "fully loaded" which is open to wide interpretation.

That aside, an MSRP of $34,500 does not represent a fully loaded vehicle to me. I would look for $37,000 - $39,000+ in "fully loaded" vehicles. ML and NAV are not cheap options.
    Seabush, I'd go even further and say that you should EXPECT to pay 90% MSRP or less. Negotiate if a dealer quotes you more.

In my view, however, 80% is completely bizarre. No poster has received even close to this price. The absolute lowest feasible price that I have seen is approx. 87% MSRP.

I would not post a deal of 80% in my summaries, unless I confirmed with the dealer that the quote was real.
    I believe that the posters who have stated that ML is not available are mistaken, but that's not too hard to understand considering that various dealers can mislead potential purchasers, either purposely or by accident.

That aside, here is what I have learned about Lexus/Toyota:

1. Very difficult to order specific options. Sometimes it works fine to order what you want, but other times the options are just plain unavailable.

If you do order one, you need to do it immediately when vehicles of the new model year come out. If you wait, your special order may never get made.

2. Lexus does not make that many vehicles. Specifically, at times you may be forced to compromise on your desired options. For example, my boyfriend bought a 2004 ES330 in August of 2004, after the 2005s appeared on dealerships. The only 2004 with NAV to be had in Texas was Alabaster metallic, a color he did not really want.

So, if it appears that the 2006 does not come with ML, it may be just that the specific vehicles delivered to dealers in your area do not have ML. So the dealer tells you ML is not available on 2006 and the buyer interprets that as the 2006 does not come from the factory with ML.
    I need to caution you about waiting. Options are severly limited when dealers are trying to move the older model years from the lots.

If the 2007 comes out in spring, you will likely have trouble finding options you want on the 2006.
    I never stated that you could get 80% MSRP for a Lexus just that it was possible to get this on a car in general depending on incentives.
    You misread my message I didn't say that the vehicle had an MSRP of 34,500. That was my recommended offer price for a $39,000 Lexus.
    My apologies.
    My apologies. You are correct. $34,500 is 88% MSRP ($39,000), which seems fairly obtainable in So Cal right now.
  • hunter06hunter06 Member Posts: 16
    The MSRP was around $38500, He did not give any better offer so I has suggested I will return only the next day if I decide on his offer (91%) which was not around 86%(my target rate)
  • hunter06hunter06 Member Posts: 16
    Atoews: Thanks for sharing the NJ quotes.

I have been looking at mostly NJ dealerships since they are also recommended in the wholesale clubs' car buying program. Though the fixed price offered though the program for this region is supposed to be $500 over invoice but I guess its a good place to start negotiations because the dealer was willing to offer on invoice.

Little Falls is also a recommended dealership. Ray Catena / Tri County and Prestige. I am not sure which one is the biggest on East coast.

I would not mind driving since the ones close by are not as good unless they can match the price.
  • hurstianhurstian Member Posts: 10
    Thanks all for all the insights!

I bought a ES 330 today. MSRP is $35234 and I was offered $30664.88 + TTL. It is the so called premium package. Based on what I have read from the forum, it seems to be a good price.
    Don't feel bad about not getting 86% MSRP. So far, the lowest CREDIBLE deal I have seen on this site is just over 87% MSRP and that is extremely unusual. Hopefully, you can get 88% - 88.5% which seems reasonable lately, esp in So Cal. You should be able to get 90% almost everywhere.

Let me know your final deal, including MSRP, price, geograhical region, model year, and dealer.
    Please provide your model year, dealer, and geographical region so i can add it to my summary. Thanks
    I will post all the details after I take delivery tomorrow. The model year is 2006 though. Does anybody know what should be the invoice price of this one? It is the level 1 ("premium") with msrp of 35234
    Oh! Based on an MSRP of $38,500, I would offer around $34,100 (88.5%). This seems like a good compromise for both parties??
    2006? Low miles?
    2006? Low miles?

yes, it has 11 on the odometer.
    OK, I took delivery today during lunch break. It took about 40 minutes( I did all the paper work yesterday). Car was nice and clean with a full tank of gas. odometer reading was 9 when I got it.

It is the silver 2006 ES330 with 17" wheel/CD changer/rear sun shade/cargo net of MSRP of $35234. Dealer showed me invoice price of $31400. Paid $30668.

I am in Texas.
  • santosh_mvsantosh_mv Member Posts: 1
    I am planning to buy a 1996 Lexus ES300, 119K, 6500$, single owner, clean carfax. Can someone advise me on this shop?
    The only factor that bothers me here is the mileage. Does anyone has a different bothering factor?
    Thanks in advance.
    Have you done an inspection of the car or paid for an independent one? What's the condition of the vehicle? If there aren't mechanical and/or cosmetic issues, then $6500 seems fair. If the vehicle has many scratches, dents, rust and needs mechanical work, then offer $4k.
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    Where'd you buy. I'm in TX also. Looking at the same vehicle ($35237) and dealer seems stuck on $32400. It looked like a fair offer (compared to Edmunds TMV price of $34k+) until I start reading this board. Are you sure you got an '06, lol. . . I want your deal. :cry:
  • x021627x021627 Member Posts: 152
    RAY CATENA is the largest dealer in nj and supposedly 2nd in country.
  • jlewkjlewk Member Posts: 1
    I have been reading about getting prices in the 88% to 90% range on this message board. The best price I have been able to get in the Long Island New York area has been 91%. Are these discounts region specific?
    Sorry, I have no quotes from New York and yes, the prices vary a lot by region. So. Cal, for example has better prices than just about anywhere else.

91% is a lot for this time of year, however. If I were you, I would try to pitt the dealers in your area against each other, even if out of your state. Get quotes from nearby dealers and from the internet. See if you can get 88.5-90%

I have a couple of quotes from New Jersey for example:

que2, 2005 ES330, 1059, 3/31/05, Little Falls, New Jersey (Tri-County Lexus) $35909, $31,800, 88.6% MSRP

x021607, 2005 ES330, 1006, 9/1/05, Bridgewater, NJ (DiFeo Lexus), purchase, $35909, $32500, 90.5% MSRP

I will guess that Bridgewater is closer to New York, which might explain que2's slightly better deal.

The difference between 90.5% MSRP and 88.6% MSRP is worth approximately $700 so it might be worth a trip to Little Falls, for example. It is up to you.
    who was the dealer? Was your deal in Houston or Dallas?
    It matters a lot whether you are near Houston or Dallas. Posters tend to get slightly better deals in the Dallas area.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    atoews:

The percentages that you are quoting that we should strive for are for 2005s or 2006s? Does it make a difference? I have been told that there are only a few 2005s left and the 2006s have been at the dealer's for some time already.
    Is there ANY difference between 2005 and 2006 ES?

Does anyone have an experience with the actual special order of an ES330? What price difference, if any, does it make? How long does it take?
    According to Edmund's the true market value is much higher for a 2006, but the posters on this thread have not been paying more than for the 2005. (Of course, I am relying on the honesty and accuracy of the posters reporting their deals, which may not be a great way to go.)

The only difference between a 2005 and a 2006 is that there are different special packages. The differing packages impact the color of interior, the color of the exterior, and perhaps the wood on the interior. In other words the differences between 2005 and 2006 are purely cosmetic. The features are the same.

In my experience, special orders can be problematic for Toyota. However there are posters on this thread who have successfully special ordered vehicles. I suspect that better bargains appear on the dealer's lots than on special orders, since dealers pre-pay their vehicles and are incentivized to move them.

Don't be afraid to show up in person at the dealers. Ask the salespeople your questions. At least with Lexus,there are fewer hucksters in the sales departments than for other brands, in my opinion.

Visiting Lexus dealers is a relatively pleasant experience, at least when compared to other brands.

Note, I once had a Toyota salesman who, after accompanying me on several test drives, implied that I had wasted his time because I did not make a purchase from him. You do not receive that kind of treatment from Lexus dealers in my opinion.
    Dallas.
This discussion has been closed.