Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kat2858kat2858 Member Posts: 6
    I am curious to know what premiums you received. When I bought a '99 RX300 in 1998 I was given two Lexus key rings with the dealer's name engraved on the back and a nice potted plant that was delivered to the house. When I bought the ES from the same dealer on 01/03/04 I received two key rings identical to the ones I got in 1998. I think the salesman also indicated that I might be entitled to a gift certificate to their parts dept if I submitted a favorable Lexus Sales Experience Survey.

BTW, I believe in 1998 and sometime thereafter Lexus offered a manufacturer's $500 loyalty rebate to buyers who previously owned a Lexus car.

FYI, I bought the ES for about 90% of MSRP ($34734) plus tax, license and registration fees. I was, however, more concerned about the value of my trade-in. IE, the difference I would owe them.

Lastly, thanks to all for the info on this thread that made my buying experience a lot easier.
  • gekko2gekko2 Member Posts: 87
    dardson1 - if you're happy with your 2001, keep it. In my opinion, the 2001 vs. the 2002-2004+ models are night and day, with the 2002-2004+ being SO MUCH NICER for reasons too numerous to mention here.
  • lexusrocklexusrock Member Posts: 74
    If you like the style of the slimmer old ES then why not keep it. The new one indeed got some shots of steroid, but I personally think it's not as plain as the old ones.

Where new ES shines really is its interior. I think it's much improved from the old ES, and really is best in class. I sometimes see the old LS400 on the road and look at its interior, which is supposed to be the best at its time.... New ES looks even nicer now. Of course new LS is much better too, but ES is almost as refined for a lot less.
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    to the previous suggestions that ES330 sales are "soft" resulting in fairly deep mid-year discounts. Despite my personal reservations about the new ES, I suspect the real reason demand is "soft" is the RX330 (and all the other thoroughly modern car-based SUV's). The public is voting for tall sedans with folding seats and a back-door. Looks to me like the RX is selling well at close to $5k more.
  • igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    is the reason then there got to be something special about RX330, as RX300 did not have that much pressure on ES300 in the past. Maybe 330 is more car-like?

Besides, RX is $10K more than ES so I doubt they are that much related.
  • lubdhaklubdhak Member Posts: 15
    When you are calculating the paid price from the MSRP, is it just 89% of MSRP including the destination charge and dealer documentation fee and taxes or these are extra?

An ES330 with Nav, ML,prem package is 37934. The lowest I have been quoted over the phone was 34250. Does anyone have any experience in Massachusetts or New England on the ES330 price?

Thanks
  • gold233790gold233790 Member Posts: 183
    What are people finding? Looking for the NAV (ML too, I guess, since I can't find any NAV's without ML), VSC, HID lights, heated seats. I know with this vehicle they will throw in an additional option or two that I don't need/want, but I can live with that.

Anyone with recent experience in the NJ/NY market? Anywhere in Jersey, Westchester, southern Conn.....
    Anyone out there bought an ES 330 in New England or Massachusetts? I am trying to find how much was it below the MSRP.
  • panther11panther11 Member Posts: 5
    Recently quoted $32,300 for --
    ES330 with the following:
    Premium Package
    Heated Seats
    Power Sun Shade
    Vehicle Skid Control
    Wood Trim
    Wheel Locks
    Trunk Mat and Cargo Net

Price includes the Destination Fee

Please give me your opinion -- good or bad.
  • gekko2gekko2 Member Posts: 87
    panther - sounds like a fair deal to me. My only advice is for you to seriously consider getting the NAV.
  • atoewsatoews Member Posts: 637
    all charges BEFORE license and/or taxes, i.e. fees imposed by the government should not be included. All dealer fees should be included in your quote and compared to MSRP.

Eliminating taxes and license allows more normalization across regions.

MSRP for the comparable options are the same regardless of location of the dealership that sells the car.
    The MSRP for the ES330 was 34,744 -- offered at 32,307.
  • fangqinfangqin Member Posts: 7
    I learned a lot from this board before buying mine. Thanks.

Bought my Mistic Gold ES330 on 12/27/03 from Longo in LA for $30700 (%88.39 of MSRP $34734) with the following options.

- Premium 6-Disc In-Dash CD Auto Changer
    - High-Intensity Discharge Headlamps (HID) with rain Sensing Wipers
    - Heated Front Seats
    - Wood and Leather Steering Wheel
    - Power Rear Sun Shade
    - Cargo Net
    - Trunk Mat
    - Wheel Locks

Transaction went very smooth. Got the price over the phone and picked up the car the same day.

-James
    Did the price of $30,700 include the destination charge?
    I realize that tax, doc fees, and title vary from state to state but the dest charge remains constant.

Thanks,
    Chuck
  • fangqinfangqin Member Posts: 7
    Hi Chuck,

The $30,700 price included destination.

-James
    Did the price of $30,700 include the destination charge?
    I realize that tax, doc fees, and title vary from state to state but the dest charge remains constant.

Thanks,
    Chuck
    I was quoted an ES 330 with following options (I believe)
    Nav w ML (NL)
    VSC (VV)
    Wood trim (WU)
    rear shade (HN)
    All season tire (FT)
    Heated front seats (HH)
    High intensity lamp (HL)
    MSRP 37934 including dest fee

The documentaion fee( license, transfer of title and dealer charge) varied from $160 to $283 in MA.

One dealer was nice to give me a price over the phone 34250 (90.3%) little far from town, then I got an internet quote from another dealer, hopefully with the same options for 33,985 (89.5%).
    The invoice price with the options comes to be 33237 according to KBB.COM. I found somewhere that the Lexus dealers get a holdback of 2% (about $635 of MSRP before dest fee) and ad fee of $200.

Is Lexus trying to dispose the cars? Are they giving any incentives to dealers so the price may go even below the invoice?

Any ideas? Should I just get it now?

Thanks
    The members of AAA may have seen a list of the dealers where according to the ad is person who will give a quote to AAA members hassle free. I called a dealer in RI (Inskip Lexus, only one listed in southern New ENgland). However, they wanted me to go to dealership and then they said that they will need a copy of my AAA card. Even after I gave my card number they did not even give me a quote.

Anyone has any experience?
  • yickwoyickwo Member Posts: 54
    Just picked up a MY04 ES 330 like post #343 by fangqin in So.Cal. Crystal White with gray interior. MSRP $34,734. Paid 30,800 plus tax, doc and license from Tustin Lexus. Approx. $33,6XX out the door. Great experience.
    through Sam's Club, which is similar to the way you are trying to do it.

I had to show up in person before the dealership would give me a quote.
    My deal was about the same as others who did not go through an external source: (Costco, Sam's Club, AAA CarsDirect, etc).

If I were you, knowing what I know now, I'd go in with an 88% of MSRP and negotiate with that, up to about 90%. I would try a couple of dealerships at the lower end and move up to 90% with them.

However, it sounds like you want no hassle. Your quotes seem right in line with what folks are getting without negotiation. If you really want to avoid hassle, then take the vehicle at the 89% quote.
  • sxzsxz Member Posts: 1
    I got quote of ES330 with NAV, premium pack, etc, at approx $37400 (via Costco member ship). Does any one have buying experience with ES330 + Nav recently? What is the true paid price?
  • md528md528 Member Posts: 3
    I recently went to a local Lexus dealer and was shown an ES330 with a MSRP of 35,174 (no ML or NAV). When I inquired with the sales manager how much they were willing to dicsount the sticker , he replied "we can take it down hundreds but not thousands".
    I read postings on this board that people are paying 89% to 90% of sticker price. Why the big discrepancy? That would mean that people are paying approx. $31,600 for a car with a 35,174 sticker. Are the prices I see for other parts of the country and those deals can't be had in the Boston area? Or was the Sales Manager giving me a a line of "BS"
    Anyone in the Boston area buy a ES330 lately and how much of a discount did you get?
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    What dealership are you referring to as I have had experience with a couple in Ma?
  • md528md528 Member Posts: 3
    The dealership was Herb Chambers Lexus of Norwood.
  • marydeemarydee Member Posts: 2
    I have gotten internet quotes from Lexus of Westminster and Lexus of Riverside, and your deal is way better.

Was it just your timing, or what?
  • johnl10johnl10 Member Posts: 2
    I am in the market looking for a ES 330 and is doing some price shopping via price quote on various N.CAL Lexus website. Lexus Pleasanton's internet sales manager was very friendly and offerd me an attractive price proposal upone my first request, Lexus Coliseum was also very straight forward about their price. Great experiences with them however Lexus marin's internet sale person was very rude.
  • marydeemarydee Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to all of you that posted the prices you paid. Because I was well informed, I am confident that I got an extremely competitive price.

I got internet quotes from five different dealerships. I was going to go with the lowest price, but gave my local Lexus dealer a chance to make me a better offer... and they did.

I purchased a Crystal White ES330 on 2/7/04 from Tustin, CA Lexus for $30,900 (%88.96 of MSRP $34,734) with the following options.

- Premium 6-Disc In-Dash CD Auto Changer
    - High-Intensity Discharge Headlamps (HID) with rain Sensing Wipers
    - Heated Front Seats
    - Wood and Leather Steering Wheel
    - Power Rear Sun Shade
    - Cargo Net
    - Trunk Mat
    - Wheel Locks

Lexus of Westminster offered an even lower price ($30,800) but I decided to go with a local dealer.

I couldn't be happier with my purchase. The car is absolutely beautiful!

I found that the internet sales people are authorized to make better deals than regular sales people.
  • mikedhamikedha Member Posts: 4
    Hi:

I am in the process of purchasing a new ES330. The quoted price is between 31700-32000 in the Chicago area. But none of the dealership has offered only HID. It was offered only with Navi. Did anyone purchase recently in Midwest with HID and no Navi and what was the price with most of the options like PP, Heated seats, Wood, Sun shade, cargo net, trunk mat etc? Thanks

Mikedha
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    That 31,700-32,000 price seems pretty good. What was the MSRP of those vehicles that were priced in that range? Do they all come with pretty much the same equipment in the Chicago area?
  • phkckphkck Member Posts: 185
    Anyone have experience with Superior Lexus or North Superior Lexus? Looking for a fully loaded ES 330 and wondering what kind of deals can be had currently.
    Thanks
    The quote of 31,700-32,200 was on a MSRP of 34744. This includes most of the options except Navi and HID. None of the dealers in Chicago area had HID as a separate option. It always came with a Navi.
    Are at the high end of what some others were getting in December in many parts of the country.

Prices ranged from about 88 - 91% of MSRP.

Your 32200 is 92.7% MSRP. I'd try and negotiate somewhat lower than the 31,700 based on the reports on this site.
  • woodyww1woodyww1 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought an ES 330 with NAV and without the ML. MSRP was 36384.00. Actual price paid was 32623 excluding TTL. Car should be at the dealer next Tuesday. Will take delivery a couple of days later. How'd I do?
  • igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    $200 over invoice? That sounds pretty decent, but you know, ML sounds pretty darn good too!
  • jim040558jim040558 Member Posts: 14
    I just took delivery on an ES330 yesterday At Superior Lexus (south) that I ordered in October. I got about $4,000 off the MSRP, which inlcuded EVERY option offered on the ES, plus godl package and chrome wheels. It was no difficulty at all. I started by visiting the showroom, but got the final price by phone done quickly, after they gave me an internet quote.

I am very happy!
    I have a hard time believing that you got EVERYTHING at that price. Did you get the adjustable pedals, the variable suspension, the gold package, the ML/Nav and the chrome wheels?

I find it very hard to believe all for $35,000 on an MSRP over $41,000.
  • wood3585wood3585 Member Posts: 7
    I just got an quote for $34,400 for a 2004 ES 330 with Nav. and Mark Levinson and everything else except AVS, chrom and adjustable pedals. I live in Northern Virginia. Is this a good quote?

SXZ, I'm trying to find out about mine, but based on what you got ($37,400), I think yours is too high.
    .. is just about in line with what others have reported paying since November 2003.
    If qwerty's car was a 41,000 MSRP and he got it for 35,000, then we are talking 85% of MSRP!!

Wonder how much qwery would charge others to negotiate for a vehicle on their behalf!!
    Congratulations on your new ES330. You got a very good price. From where and which dealership? What other options did you get besides Nav.
    Looks to me like qwerty might be a shill for that web site.

wood 3585...based on what I got and what I've seen others report here, that sounds like a good deal. Take it and run like a thief in the night, LOL.

Guys, I LOVE this car! It is everything my reseacrh said it would be.

Of course, I've only had it since Wednesday. :-)
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Jim,
    I am glad that you like the new ES330. I would be interested in what kind of mpg you get when you can get it for me. I would like to know if mpg suffered at all with the larger 3.3l engine.
    Well, I have a function on the car which calculates average mpg for me. The mileage so far is 19.8, which has been mostly city driving. That's pretty close to the rating. But I only have 280 miles on the car. I would expect that as the engine breaks in (2000 miles perhaps) that fuel economy would improve. I think the extra power is a welcome and very helpful addition. I love having that extra power. I was raised on GM v-8's, which I have had in a lot of cars. In certain situations, it can be crucial to have that reserve.

I will try to remember to post the mileage number after 2000 miles.
  • woodyww1woodyww1 Member Posts: 2
    Options were ND-Navigation Package, HN- Sun Shade, HL-HID Headlamps, HH- Heated Front Seats, WU-Wood Steering wheel and shift nob. Hope this helps.
    I'm about to close on a deal but there is something that concerns me. The Lexus ES330 that I'm about to buy already has 32 miles on it. Is that normal on a brand new car? In the greater scheme of things 32 miles don't sound like a lot but it got me thinking that 32 miles it's a bit too much. There were some dirt stains in the front and back seats and the salesperson said that it probably was the Lexus mechanics who are not very clean but are required to inspect the car when it comes from Japan. That concerned it a bit although I know that the car could be completely cleaned.

Again, is 32 miles within what could be expected?
    But if they can't get the dirt stains off, I'd negotiate for a VERY large discount.
  • gordo95gordo95 Member Posts: 8
    Did your quote ($34,400) reflect the small mileage that was already on the car? I am also looking for a 2004 ES 330 with Nav. and Mark Levinson and everything else except AVS, chrom and adjustable pedals in the DC Metro area. So far, most of the quotes I've received over the web are not very impressive (93% of MSRP). I've seen some other posts indicating an average of 88%-91% so curious whether these are best negotiated in person, rather than over the phone/web. One dealer even told me that ES 330 w/NAV are becoming hard to find. First I've heard of this. Any thoughts?
    atoews: thank you; that makes me feel better. I've spoken to other friends that have said the same thing while others have added that the normal range is anywhere between 20 to 35 miles. The stains, by the way, were clearly not permanent, but it did bother me to see them there. There were no plastic covers on the seats and that just made me a bit worry.

gordo95: no, the quote did not account for the low mileage. I think that the stated mileage is within the normal range. Also, I've gotten at least three dealers willing to honor that price. At the end of the day it comes down to the total final price, after all taxes and fees are added. There's the catch. My experience in the DC area is that some of the dealers charge, for instance, a bundle in processing fees, while others charge a minimal amount. I honestly believe that such processing fees could be abused to take back some of the discounts they claim to give you in the quoted price. My experience with internet quotes is that they are a good first step but not the final answer. The disparity in internet quotes becomes clear when you send more than one request and you get different prices. All of my dealings have been by e-mail and phone. I think that in person meetings are a waste of time, except for when you are going to inspect and later pick up the car. I haven't had any in person meetings to discuss price this time around and find myself satisfied with the results I've been getting. So that you know, one dealer just lowered their quote from $34,400 to $34,200 only after I forwarded them an e-mail from a competitor willing to match the $34,400 but not charge me $100 in processing fees. Again, focus on the total final numbers after all taxes and fees are added. That is as critical as the actual quote for the car. Finally, don't believe the supposed claim of scarcity - there are many ES330s with those very options out there. There is only an issue if you are picky as to color. I'm buying a silver one - so it has become a bit harder and I may have to wait 3 weeks to get it. In any event, that claim is just a dishonest representation and I would be careful giving my business to a dealer who would say something like that. Hope this helps. I think I know what "gordo" means - very clever use of espanol, right? :-) Mucha suerte with your purchase, gordo!
    You hit the nail on the head when you wrote that the dealers can cludge around discounts by adding other fees.

Dealer destination charge and MSRP are fixed by the manufacturer (Lexus) and can't be cludged by the dealer, which is what makes a % MSRP comparison useful.

I believe that price comparisons should be made including all DEALER fees only. Don't add in tax and license when doing the comparison.

License and tax varies from state to state.

So, if your 93% quote included tax/license, then your deal is probably pretty good.

Calculate the % of MSRP without those taxes and see what you come up with.

By the way, make sure the dealer removes the stains before delivering your vehicle.
This discussion has been closed.