Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• juststartdjuststartd Member Posts: 13
    I just bought (last Thursday)a '05 ES330 from dealer in San Diego. I requested quotes from several dealers in CA area as I'd been told it was highly competitive market. I paid just over 90% of MSRP for a tier 2 car. The dealership in Beverly Hills was within $150 of my San Diego quote. I did not get exact quote from B.H. so not positive of any additional fees. I was in Las Vegas on business and the S.D. dealership delivered the car to me while there and I drove it home to Utah. They did this totally at their expense. I am still waiting for paperwork to be sent to my home so I can get it licensed but to this point I would highly recommend this San Diego dealership. Let me know if you have any questions.
  • taylor2taylor2 Member Posts: 3
    thanks for the info. what was the 90% price and did any of the bay area dealers give you a counter offer what is the name of the san diego dealer.
    I did not ask for quotes out of Bay area. L.A. was much closer drive if I had to fly & drive to pick-up the car. I'm still waiting for paperwork but I believe the car had a MSRP of $35,544 and I purchased it for $32,116. The car was basically $32,056+ $45 doc fee, $5 tire fee & $10? in-transit fee. I know the total check was $32,116, I'm just not positive on the exact fees. I will have to pay TTL in Utah. I purchased it from Lexus Kearny Mesa in San Diego. I contacted the internet department and the gentleman that typically handles these sales was not there that day. His partner called me later (after an e-mail quote that was to high) and SHE immediately lowered the price by $1,400 because she wanted the sale. She knew I had done my homework and I was doing nothing but shopping for my best deal. These cars are in extremely short supply right now and felt good to make this buy on such an in-demand car. Within a few weeks I bet that supply gets a little better as they are in port now waiting for truck delivery. Unless I'm surprised down the road (by not getting my documentation soon so that I can license it) I would suggest everyone consider this dealership as they seem to have a genuine interest in cutting the best deal possible. I think I'm prohibited from giving the specific name of the LADY in the internet dept. on this board, but would be happy to supply it thru e-mail.
  • taylor2taylor2 Member Posts: 3
    thanks again for the info. again i am looking for one that is loaded nl/mark lev.vv.vsc.hl.avs hh. what did yours have
    I think the options on the tier 2 are; HID headlamps & rain sensing wipers (I really like), Heated & Cooled seats (I really like), 6 disk in-dash CD (I don't care about), Rear window powered sun screen (I don't care about but was only about $129), Wood & leather steering wheel (which I hate) Maybe upgraded 17" tires and wheels. These options added $1,400 to the base price of the tier 1 car.
  • atoewsatoews Member Posts: 637
    Well, we have three data points that tell us that ES330-ES330s are going for 90-91% of MSRP this month.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I plan to check back in Nov/December to see what they are going for then.

If I see the same price drop in the winter that I have for the past two years, I can tell you when I plan to buy my next new car!!

It appears as though the price is about 1-2% higher on average this month than posters were getting in December through about June.
    Remember that your "tier" packages will vary from region to region, and will even change throughout the year within the same region.
    I didn't know that. I thought the "tier" packages would be consistent throughout the line. I did additional research on other internet sites and determined the dealer made about $300 plus holdback off my deal. Because of the shortage of '05s, I felt pretty good about the deal. They had to pay an airline ticket out of that $300 and pay a porter to drive it to me. Except for my questions about the transmission and some minor changes I'd suggest about the interior I'm really enjoying it. I've had the windows tinted and adding a spoiler next week. I think this really adds some style.
    I am glad you are enjoying your car. I still love mine, and my boyfriend in Texas likes his, too.

Thanks for posting your data.
  • yyggyygg Member Posts: 4
    how can I get the email address, phone # and name
    of this LADY?
  • mnixonmnixon Member Posts: 1
    I would be especially interested in ones from Park Place Lexus in Grapevine. I am looking to replace my 2002 ES300. Other than the occaisional
    tranny hiccups it has been a great car.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    You might have a look at this recent post:
    atoews Sep 3, 2004 10:48pm

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

For specific salesperson contact information, you'll need to use the Internet and call the dealership. We don't allow names or contact information to be posted here, as it could quickly turn into a salesperson advertising forum.

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

For the benefit of those wanting specific info about my purchase, I have now made my e-mail address public. I'll keep it public as long as I don't get overloaded with spam. Please put something like; "Lexus Purchase" in the subject line. I agree it is best to keep this type of info off the board so information is "pure" and not just an advertisement for salespeople. On the other hand; when someone provides a great price on a car like this it helps them to justify the price by the referels they'll get. Please write only if you are truly serious about a west coast purchase.
    Please encourage folks to post their deals. :-)
  • lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    Yes, please do post your deals. That is what makes this forum work. But remember not to give names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.
  • anchortwnanchortwn Member Posts: 10
    Hey Folks,

I got my 2005 ES330 Classic Silver/Gray Int on 9/4 in LA. MSRP for this car is 36984 (With Navi package, no ML). The price I paid out of the door 35500 with tax & lic & doc. Do any of you guys knows the invoice price for this car?
    Does the 35500 include or exclude license and tax?

If it includes license and tax, then please deduct the license and tax from your 35500. Do not deduct documentation fees.

It is easier to get an apples-to-apples comparison by not including license and tax, because license and tax vary from state to state, and are not really included as a negotiable part of the deal.
    To get the invoice of a vehicle, you have to add the invoice price of every option to the base invoice of the vehicle.

It will be difficult for anyone out here to provide invoice unless you list every conceivable option on your vehicle.
  • tomhanxtomhanx Member Posts: 6
    i test drove a fully loaded es330 and noticed that at every stop sign, when i pressed the gas pedal, the car would hesitate for couple of seconds before starting. other than this, the car had a smooth and quiet ride.

i also test drove a camry xle v6 and noticed similar issue.

the discussion board on problems with es330, also seems to be full with this issue.

anyone else experience this with the 2005 models?
    Hi tomhanx - this particular topic is just for talking about the purchasing process. I noticed you posted this message in the ES transmission problems discussion, and that's the best place to check for responses. We also have a Lexus ES330 discussion, where owners are likely to be found.

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

You can go to the New car tab at top of page to find out TMV, invoice, other costs. You should find what you are looking for there. Goodluck with your new ES330!
  • richbf2richbf2 Member Posts: 73
    i have just bought a brand new 05, fully loaded. It has Nav., HID, perforated leather, 6 dics, Mark Levinson, sun shade, everything. I only added tint for $250 and 17 in' chrome rims for $1700. The window price is 37,979.11. Saleperson gave me 500 off, 500 addtional off for the chrome rims, and $750. Total amount is $1750 off the msrp + tax. What do your guys think?
      In regards to gasoline, the car requires only regular. Now, i am thinking since this is a relatively big V6, i am going to use supreme. This will keep the engine cleaner and prevent from carbon built up later on. PLEASE ADVISE.
    THANK YOU
    have just bought a brand new 05, fully loaded. It has Nav., HID, perforated leather, 6 dics, Mark Levinson, sun shade, everything. I only added tint for $250 and 17 in' chrome rims for $1700. The window price is 37,979.11. Saleperson gave me 500 off, 500 addtional off for the chrome rims, and $750. Total amount is $1750 off the msrp + tax. What do your guys think?
      In regards to gasoline, the car requires only regular. Now, i am thinking since this is a relatively big V6, i am going to use supreme. This will keep the engine cleaner and prevent from carbon built up later on. PLEASE ADVISE.
    THANK YOU
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    I think using premium is a good idea for this car given its engine size and compression ratio even though the car will run on regular. YOu will lose some horsepower if you use regular. Besides if you can afford a Lexus you sure can afford 20 cents a gallon extra on gas.
    Try these boards for addtional information
    Town Hall forums
  • poto1xpoto1x Member Posts: 26
    In addition to being stuck with Toyota's transmission/drive by wire screw up that they won't fix, we paid too much for it.

Toyota's profit was $10.24 BILLION in fy2003, more than GM, Ford, and Daimler-Chrysler combined! Toyota/Lexus is charging (and we are paying)way too much for their diminishing quality
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Why are you posting here? Don't you see the transmission problem thread? This site is for people to discuss their buying experience.
  • poto1xpoto1x Member Posts: 26
    Walk the talk motownusa. I must have been confused by your post 673 on gasoline grade being more relevant to the "buying experience"
    There are plenty of threads about this vehicle - let's leave this one for purchasing experiences only. Thanks.

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• txjaytxjay Member Posts: 6
    I looked into 2005 ES330 and like its smooth, quiet ride and luxury interior. There is no base model, every one comes with at least a DC package, with the MSRP of $33,964. Dealer is only willing to offer $1000 off MSRP. After reading this forum, I am hoping for a 8-10% off MSRP. I realize this is only the third week the dealer got 2005 ES 330, but others got that kind of deal before in other geographic area. Had any reader here bought a 2005 ES330 lately in Houston area lately? Any comments, suggestions?
    I searched for weeks before I could find a dealer who was motivated. I purchased my 2005 several weeks ago when in very short supply and was able to get about to the 10% off M.S.R.P. I found the only place close to me that would even talk about discounting was in Southern California. It may be worth the drive for you. Please check my previous post. It gives a little more detail. So far I'm almost completely satisfied with my 330. I'd suggest a few improvments, but the only major frustration is the transmission. This problem is REAL. I don't think it is a reliability issue, but it sure is annoying!
    I forgot to add; Southern California had plenty of tier 1 cars available. This would be considered the "base model" with little or no added options. I elected to purchase a tier 2 car and am actually now happy I did. I really like the HID headlamps & the heated/cooled seats ($640 each M.S.R.P.). The 6 disc CD player ($550 M.S.R.P.)& Power Sun Shade ($210 M.S.R.P.)are nice, but I have little use for them. I hate the Wood Steering Wheel ($330 M.S.R.P.).
    I bought a 2005 ES330 last night. It comes with a DC package (17" WHEELS WITH SUMMER TIRES, POWER REAR SUNSHADE, WOOD STEERING WHEEL AND SHIFT KNOB,IN-DASH 6-CD AUTO CHANGER,LUGGAGE MAT, WHEEL LOCKS AND CARGO NET), MSRP is $33,964 (including destination), dealer agreed on a 8% discount, so purchase price is $31,247, plus TTL. and Doc fee of $50.

There is a 0.26% Inventory Tax, it appears to be a Lexus thing, since at least Honda does not charges this. In addition, there is a $385 "Permavin" charge printed on the sales order (that means it is charged on very lexus car in the region), dealer does not want to negociate on this fee, and I didn't insist either, since my wife really wants a Lexus.

Overall, ES330 is a nice car, gives a luxury feeling. Transmission issue is indeed real. Even my wife commented that she has to push hard on the paddle to get the car going, but she hated more the stiffness of the steering wheel on a G35.

This forum gave me very useful information that helped me to get this deal I am happy with. Thank you all!
    poster: txjay
    vehicle: 2005 ES330
    Date: Sep 29, 2004
    Region: Houston, Tx
    MSRP: $33964
    Price: $31763

%MSRP = 93.5%

Does that sound right?

31,247+50+81+385 = 31763/33964=93.5% MSRP
    juststartd deal summary:

poster: juststartd
    Date: Sep 13, 2004
    Vehicle: 2005 ES330
    Region: San Diego, California
    MSRP: $35544
    Price: $32116
    %MSRP: 90.3%

justsratd - Is that correct?
    All - I "lost" the data for anchortwn's deal because he included license and tax and documentation fee in his price - so we can't use it as a gage for future deals.

Quotes are appreciated, but please make sure that your "price" includes everything except license and tax. Future posters will thank you. :-)
    Right.
    One small note: doc fee ($50) and inventory tax ($81) are added after the calcuation of sales tax. Permavin ($385) is treated as part of taxable purchase price (forced option, in a sense:)).
    I made a mistake, "inventory property tax" was also charged by a houston area Honda dealer, so I wrongly "accused" Lexus dealer for charging this "exclusive" tax.
  • wfj1998wfj1998 Member Posts: 9
    What is the name of dealer you bought this from? I'm looking to buy soon.
    Thanks
    I am in HOuston and this is what i have paid for my 05 es330. msrp: 37945+1700chrome rims(which have not arrived yet)+$295 tint. Dealer was willing to take (500) off msrp, (500) off chrome, and an additional $750. Tell me if this is an OK deal.
    poster: richbf2
    vehicle: 2005 ES330
    date: Sept 2004 (??)
    Region: Houston, Tx
    MSRP: $37945 (not including chrome wheels)
    price: $36695 (not including chrome wheels)
    %MSRP = 96.7%

MSRP: $39645 (including chrome wheels)
    price: $36195
    %MSRP = 91.2% (including chrome wheels)

I did not include the dealer add-ons (tint)
    It is difficult to do an exact apples-to-apples comparison on this deal because chrome wheels usually have a large mark-up and it is difficult to tell what deal you would have received without the chrome wheels.

I think, for future reference, if I were in your position, I might have negotiated the basic vehicle price first and then the chrome wheels.

For now, though, you have received a 91.2% MSRP, which seems like the average deal that folks are getting right now.
    Just about correct. I got all my paperwork so I can post exact deal.

Date; Sept 9, 2004
    Vehicle; 2005 ES330
    Region; San Diego, CA
    MSRP; $35244
    Price; $32116 (included all dealer fees & temp in-transit fee to drive it home)
    %MSRP; 91.1%

This included delivery to me in Las Vegas from San Diego
    Thanks for your data. After I get a few more, I'll post a summary of all deals in one post.

By the way, purchasing in So. Cal results in greater benefit than just price over purchasing in Texas.

In Texas, the dealers add all of these options that jack up the price of a car. My boyfriend, who purchased his car in Dallas, complained about that.
  • mbdalembdale Member Posts: 4
    HAS ANY ONE PURCHASED A 2005 ES330 IN THIS AREA?

IF SO WHAT TYPE OF DISCOUNT DID YOU GET AND FROM WHAT DEALERSHIP?

IS THE NAVIGATION SYSTEM OF ANY SIGNIFICANT VALUE?
    Sorry for the delay. I bought the car from Lexus of Clear Lake. The internet managar I dealed with is nice and professional. Sterling McCall offers the same deal.
    Thanks for your response and detailed summary of my deal. Your calculation is excluding the chrome rims of $1700 & tint of $295. The actual figure on my paper is $38,190,add chrome + tint, then deducting -($500), (-500), and (-750). The DO price is $41 something... I think i am paying little too much for this vehicle. What do you think? THANKS
    Well, I don't think it is an issue of your paying too much for your deal. I think it is more an issue of what options a purchaser such as yourself is willing to consider to get a lower price.

for example, several posters on this site have stated that Houston area salespeople are unwilling to deal. If you are constrained to purchasing in Houston, then it sounds like you don't have much choice but to pay a higher price.

You may not elect the option of driving to Southern California or even Dallas, areas that may offer lower prices.

This board tries to provide information so that potential purchasers see what some of their options may be.
    I am not certain I understand your deal. Since we are comparing %MSRPs, I'll try and figure out a reasonable number to assume is your MSRP.

I believe that since there is no such thing as an MSRP for a tint, I'll leave the tint price out of your deal.

So, not including the tint, is the MSRP of your vehicle equal to the following:

MSRP = 38190 + 1700 = $39890
    Price you paid = 39890 - 1750 = $38140
    (everything except
    license, tax,
    and tint)

%MSRP = %38140/39890 = 95.6%

Does this look reasonable?

If so, then you are paying 3-4% MSRP more than other posters have paid. This equates to up to about $1600 more than folks from other geographical regions might be paying for your vehicle.

If I lived in Houston, based on your deal, I'd seriously consider trying to get a better price in Dallas, and driving there if need be. A drive of 250 miles would be worth it to me for that much of a price differential, but then each of us have different priorities.

By the way, I don't mind long drives and I think that for $1600, if I lived in Houston, I might consider purchasing in So Cal and driving the car home. But to some, it might be worth 1600 not to hassle the drive.
This discussion has been closed.