Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• atoewsatoews Member Posts: 637
    Bikegal has a very good point. It seems that anything that does not have ML/Nav, but has more options than the base vehicle, is called a "Premium Package".
  • tebbooktebbook Member Posts: 2
    Do you mind telling what you paid? I live in Bolingbrook. Did it have all the options? Thanks
  • drifter1drifter1 Member Posts: 1
    To add XM to an ES330 I was given a price of $759. I was told that most of the cost is labor because of the location of the converter.
  • luxcarguyluxcarguy Member Posts: 4
    The dealership might make money but the commission for the salesman is a minimum. He probably put you on the backburner and worked on more profitable leads. The dealership might have made the sale but its up to the salesman to get you back there.
    Dealerships dont pay the salesman 25% of the over invoice money. They pay 25% of actual gross profit on the car. $1000 over invoice is at best a mini deal for the salesman. Which is around a $100. Thats why they arent in much of a hurry to call you back. Unless he needed any sale to meet his quota.
    Dealerships compete with each other to get better inventory, choice models, and other goodies from the corporation.

Some dealers who are high volume will do just about anything to make a deal. They will let some go for next to nothing since that one deal could mean the difference of winning that month over another dealer.

Smaller dealers probably dont get into that game since they arent competing on a volume level.

Chevy can afford to give steeper discounts and rebates since the prices are so jacked up to begin with. If you dont believe that, what crazy company can offer up to 10k off MSRP??
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I see ads that go "$12,000 BELOW MSRP!!! ALL NEW SUBURBANS!!!" But when you head over to Chevy's website and price out a Suburban, the prices are outrageous almost to the point of being funny.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    OK, talking about Chevy ads is definitely off-topic in this discussion. Let's focus on Lexus ES 300/ES 330 purchasing.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dwarnacuttdwarnacutt Member Posts: 15
    Was this the price quoted by the dealer ($759)? Would you trust a car stereo shop to do the work? My 2005 ES330 came without an antenna - do they have to put one on to get XM radio? I would like to get XM radio because the radio reception is bad in my area but the dealer price seems high and I am afraid the stereo store will mess up my car if I have them do it. Please let me have your thoughts.
  • mjp58mjp58 Member Posts: 1
    Too much- I live in Illinois, just purchased a new 2005 Es 330, list was 35619,dealer sold me the car for 31800-which is invoice on this car with this msrp,also easier to get this price at end of month.
  • remisgodlyremisgodly Member Posts: 1
    Hello!

I am planning on obtaining a lease on a fully loaded Lexus ES330 2005 very soon. The MSRP of the vehicle is $38,669 and according to the salesman, he is selling it to me at $36,400 (94% of MSRP). Sales tax in my area is 8.25%. The lease will be for 3 years at 15,000 miles per year. I am told by the salesman that there is a $1250 acquisition fee to begin the lease through Lexus. I also have an old trade-in with a value of $3750.

The price I am getting is $530 per month including all fees and taxes. The first month's payment is taken care of when I turn in the trade-in, and 35 $530 monthly payments to follow.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good lease price based on the terms that other people have gotten? I would appreciate any information you can provide.

Thank you very much.
    I am the last person to know how leases work compared to purchases. However, if your dealer would sell you a new car for the price you said ($36,400) , then if I were in your position, I would try and negotiate the base price down to 89-90% (range $34415 - $34802) of MSRP, based upon what other purchasers have posted on this site. You have quoted one of the highest % of MSRPs of most purchasers on this site for the past 1.5 years. During the August - Sept 2004 time period, people were paying about 92% MSRP for their new vehicles, but this was high compared to other time periods.

Also, I have noticed that folks purchasing vehicles in the Houston area were paying more back in August than were purchasers from other areas. Your dealer's geographical region really can make a difference.

Recall that the %MSRP should include all fees except govt fees.

Note mip58's very recent deal of 89% MSRP in the Illinois region.

Good Luck
  • skb123skb123 Member Posts: 13
    - - mjp58 congratulations. will you please tell us where you bought the car, the name of the dealer? Thanks
  • brbnewbiebrbnewbie Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like you got a good deal, mjp58. I just bought a new 2005 ES330 with the same MSRP of $35,619 and paid $32,600 (includes doc fee) for it. I did manage to get 3.9% financing for 60 months through Lexus (big thanks to Edmunds info pack - Lexus was offering that rate from 1/3/05 - 3/31/05 but that incentive appears to have ended now).
    Note that I did not really probe mjp58 on what was included in his $31800 quote. If the dealer added a bunch of BS dealer's fees (documentation and who knows what) on to the $31800, then this raises the price of his vehicle for apples-to-apples comparisons. Also mjp58 really does need to include the geographical region of the dealer from whom he purchased the car. A purchaser from Houston, for example, may not be able to get as good a price as a purchaser from Southern California, where there are numerous dealers and generally a larger inventory than other regions.

All I am saying is to beware taking any one poster's deal as gospel. But several deals that are posted consistently can make a difference in your ability to bargain.

If I weren't so lazy, I'd go back over this site for about 1/5-2 years and make a summary of all the deals.
    Were I looking for a new vehicle, I'd consider the effort, but my car is good for another 7 years.

Note that the summary would look like this:

poster's id, model number and year, month purchased, geographical region, MSRP, price paid, %MSRP. Optional - the options on the car.

Example:

atoews, 2002 ES300, March 2002, So Cal (Lexus of Cerritos), $39,963, $37775, 94.5% MSRP.
    professordjf, 2004 ES330, August 2004, Dallas, $37,424, $34,000, 90.8% MSRP.
    mjp58, 2005 ES330, March 2005, Region Unknown, $35619, $31800, 89.3% MSRP
    pageguy2, 2005 ES330, Aug-Sept 2004, Havorford, PA (Wilkie Lexus), $38,444, $35000, 91% MSRP

Note that for consistency, the MSRP should be the "Total MSRP" listed on the sticker, because this number is constant - it does not vary from region to region or dealer to dealer. The price paid should include everything except government fees, like license and tax.
  • 2005es330owner2005es330owner Member Posts: 1
    I'm from Los Angeles, Ca and just recently bought a 2005 ES 330 with Navigation. Here are the details:
    MSRP: $37,119,
    Price Paid: $33,354,
    89.8% MSRP

I bought the car from an auto broker, because they quoted me the lowest price. I tried to work deals with three dealerships, but no one gave me a lower price. I love the car, but I'm thinking that maybe I should have continued to shop around. Do you think this was a good deal or could I have done better?
    Sounds like you got a reasonable deal to me!!
  • iyaayas46190iyaayas46190 Member Posts: 3
    My wife and I went to the Atlanta Auto Show yesterday with all of the information gleaned on this web site with the intention of buying a new Lexus ES-330. We had emailed with our sales rep the day prior. We went directly to the Lexus section and had a deal done in 10 minutes. Used the TMV as a reference point. MSRP with XM $ 34,613. Paid $32,500. Went to the lot, compared all of the colors (all models/ colors/ accessories were available), wife chose Sonora Gold. They installed the XM, we wrote a check, completed the paperwork and were out the door. We were treated like royalty at Lexus of South Atlanta. Our salesman, who I wish the rules allowed me to name, was courteous and extremely knowledgeable about his product. He didn't try to sell us the car but rather facilitated the purchase. I have no doubt this dealership will be there for me if I need additional work. Overall, buying a car is not a pleasant experience for me but this transaction was as good as it goes.
  • 1951tarheel1951tarheel Member Posts: 7
    I have been tracking this forum daily for quite some time and do not see much activity.It is 4/24/05 and no activity since 4/15/05. I thought I would at least move off that 873 post.

I am also tracking the TL's and see a great amount of information on that car. It doesn't seem like Lexus is selling too well.
  • gbjerkegbjerke Member Posts: 158
    Don't know how far back you went on reading posts, but when searching for wifeys car, it was between the TL and ES. I wanted the TL for its drop dead georgeous looks plus handling but it was her decision.
    End result, she drives the ES.
    Her pan on the TL:
    1) Noisy as compared to the ES---she is right.
    2) Rides rough! Not to me as the handling of the TL is far superior to the ES. Depends on what you want. Wifey happens to like a soft, cushy and QUIET ride.
    3) Hated the cupholders in the TL....too deep for some cups and you can't get to the back cupholder unless you raise the armrest. I agree with her on this issue. Poor engineering.
    4) She hated the passenger seat as it was only 4 way (front/back/up/down). She could not get comfortable and when I tried it, I agreed. Seems it woud take so little to make the seat comfortable/adjustable to all. Not done=bummer.
    I think either car is GREAT and both can be bought for close to invoice but other than physical size/price they are really two different kinds of cars.
    Pick your poison---can't go wrong either way.
    Thanks for the response. I passed on your wife's information to mine. I am leaning toward the 330 primarily because I have a 98 ES 300 and have had no problems with it.
  • wdwwardwdwward Member Posts: 9
    1951tarheel:
    I too have a 98 ES 300. Have 47K on it and it is absolutely the best car I have ever owned. Just put oil and gas in it and it runs & runs. This is the best car ever made by man (IMHO). I have my doubts about the 330.
  • nikminnikmin Member Posts: 9
    Here is what I negotiated at Putnam Lexus (Redwood City, CA):
    ES330 (Blue Shale/Ash) with
    - Navigation package with 6 disc CD changer
    - High-Intensity Discharge Headlamps (HID) with Rain sensing Wipers
    - Heated and ventilated front seats
    - Wood- and leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift knob
    - Power rear sunshade
    - 17" Alloy wheels with summer tires
    - Preferred Accessory Package (includes Cargo net, Trunk mat and Wheel locks)
    MSRP - $37119 + TTL
    Paid - $32400 + TTL (which in California adds $2286)

I was very happy with the dealership and the handling - no haggle - just asked what price I wanted and I got it. What do you all think of this deal? Appreciate your comments...

Why I chose ES330 over other choices (325i, TL, G35)? I need a softer/quiter ride -Not the sporty type.
    Caution: All of my research is based upon the anecdotal evidence found on this board!! The numbers I quote come entirely from this board.

=========================================

I think you have an outstanding deal. There are very few posters who receive less than an 88% MSRP deal, and yours is 87.2%. If you don't believe me, do a search of this site on "87". Of course, it could be that other purchasers in your region are getting the same deal you are, in which case you have an average deal.

Interestingly the best deals since I began tracking occurred in the Nov-Dec 2003, and the March-April 2004 time periods. I suspect that the reason for this is that the weather does not encourage auto shopping combined with the time in the lifecycle of the model year. Buyers want to wait and see the new model before they commit to the current one.

The worst prices occurred in 2002, when the vehicle was new. We were gettting like 93-94% MSRP then. I did not do the MSRP analysis back then, except on my own car, but I recall other deals being similar. Perhaps lenscap and kreativ could post their deals, as they purchased their vehicles at the same time I did.

In August/Sept of 2004, the new 2005 model was going for 91-92% MSRP, up from December 2003 prices for the 2004 model. In December of 2003, the prices were down to 89-90% MSRP with some very few posters getting 87 or 88%.

All in all, based upon my research here, were I buying an ES3x0 model in the future, I'd target Dec-April for the best deals and avoid August/Sept expecting the worst deals. I'd also try and purchase in So Cal, as dealer competition here seems to be tough.

Nikmin, for your car, each 1% of MSRP represents $371. The difference between 92%MSRP and 87.2% MSRP is: (.92 *37119) - (.872*37119) = $1783, a considerable savings if one is willing to wait until later in the model year lifecycle, and is willing to shop in the winter time.

Of course, this could all change tomorrow!!!
    At last, at last, we have a posting giving figures on a deal. It seemed like we went several weeks before any deals were posted. Thanks very much Nikmin.
  • nikminnikmin Member Posts: 9
    Atoews - Thanks for the detailed analysis and input! I am really enjoying the buy even more now !! Even if this is average in my region(I doubt it), I am a happy camper because I had a great experience and a very smooth process (just 1.5 hours total) and drove off with the car I wanted.
    I'm not the sporty type also, and although I liked the ES330, I ended up buying an I35 because it was significantly cheaper.
  • stretchkjstretchkj Member Posts: 4
    I had a similar experience, also in California (San Fernando Valley):

ES 330 Blue Shale Mica, Ash (strange coincidence!?)
    Navigation package
    MSRP $37119
    Paid $32,500 + TTL

I bought it April 30, and I believe that made a big difference (last day of the month). A week earlier the same dealership quoted me $33,100. Actually, when I called another dealer to see if he could beat the $32,500 price, he said he could, by a couple hundred dollars, but he didn't have the color I wanted (he only had white and green with Nav.). I think the $32,500 price is actually below invoice by a few hundred dollars.

I have been following this forum for months, and it help tremendously in deciding to buy the car and knowing what would be a good price. The car is for my wife, which is why I also opted for a soft/quiet car. If it had been for me, I probably would have chosen the Acura TL, although lately there have been a lot of complaints about a vibration problem.

By the way, I showed the salesman a printout of the updated TSB TC004-03. He had never heard of it, but then again he had only been selling Lexuses for two months. I decided I would drive the car to see how bad the transmission shifted, and take it in for the "fix" if I wasn't happy. Since the car had only been on the lot for two days, is there a possibility the revised calibration had been done at the factory?
  • gbjerkegbjerke Member Posts: 158
    What can you tell me about the TSB??
    Have an '05---wifes car and she loves it. When I do drive it, the tranny seems "lazy"---i.e., shift from first to second l-o-n-g. Maybe they are trying for the "smooth" thing. Don't like it! Sounds like a programming issue and if the TSB addresses this, I'd like to know.
    Thanks for any input.
    Well, your deal could be related to the day of the month, and it also could be related to the issue that you resisted the 33,100 first offer. The first offer was 33,100/37119 x 100 = 89% MSRP. Your new deal turns out to be 87.5% MSRP, which is similar to some other recent deals.

I wonder when the 2006 will be at dealers.
    Go to this address to see the TSB: http://www.mycgiserver.com/~nonlinear/TSB.pdf

There has been a lot of discussion on this forum about transmission problems - hesitation when accelerating and rough shifting. This TSB, titled "ECM Calibration: Shift Feeling Enhancement" - is a recalibration of the Engine Control Module, which I believe makes it a software fix. It is supposed to:
    - Reduce downshift lag when accelerating
    - Reduce gear hunting when driving on/off accelerator pedal between 10 and 20 mph
    - Improve response rate during heavy acceleration from a stop

It is covered under your warranty. That's all I know. If/when I notice the symptoms it addresses, I will have it done. Again, others have discussed it in this forum, so you can get a lot of information by just searching on "transmisssion". Good luck, and give us an update if you have it done.
  • gelightgelight Member Posts: 10
    Did your price include the $299 Administrative fee? Sounds like a great price. I plan to do the deal in several weeks and this gives me some guidance. Thank you. Also, I know this is a pricing chat, but have been told by my dealer that the transmission issue has been resolved. Maybe this chat gave them a heads up to fix.
    Here's the breakdown, some of which may be stuff the dealer threw in (I have never bought a new car before):

Vehicle: 32,500
    Document Preparation Fee 45
    Sales Tax (8.25%) 2,684.96
    DMV Electronic Filing Fee 28
    License Fee 264
    Registration Fee 8
    Calif. Tire Fee 8.75

Total 35,538.71
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    It would be more helpful if you'd post this info in our regular Lexus ES 300/ES 330 discussion. Since this one is focused on pricing, few current owners will see the info in this discussion, and I'm sure they'd be interested.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ohdaddy926ohdaddy926 Member Posts: 12
    I think you got a great deal. This is exactly what I am looking for. How do you like your ES300? Also, what price did the salesman give you at the beginning? Where did you find this car?

Thanks!
  • carolg1carolg1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what a GP-Gold Package (PIO) includes on a 2005 ES 330? I'm alittle confused. I can't find anywhere, without calling the dealer, what is included in the Gold package. It supposedly costs $190 invoice/ $332 MSRP.

Thanks!
  • bradsbrads Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a RX330 about 2 months ago. Started out with the Costco plan but when I asked the sales person if he could do better he said yes but not on the Costco plan. He also said I couldn't tell anyone because he was under contract with them. Gave me a verbal price (nothing in writing) and a hand shake. I test drove the RX330 for about 2 hours and was sold. The RX I tested had all options including the DVD player. I told him I wanted one just like I test drove with all the options except the DVD. He checked his sheet and said he would have the color I wanted in 2 weeks. I asked again about the options and he assured me it would be the same as the one I test drove. I said great and left with nothing but his word,
    A day or 2 later I called him to get the exact price because I wanted to check out financing outside of Lexus. He gave me the price and it didn't seem the same. I questioned it but he assured me it was the price he quoted.
    Two weeks and the car came in and I picked it up. It was the next day when I realized it was not the upgraded radio system which I really wanted. I didn't even call them because bottom line I don't trust my sales person and don't expect anything to be done.
    Has anyone else experienced anything like this. I was stupid---always get everything in writing. I thought it's Lexus I shouldn't have to worry about anything ----WRONG.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Why didn't you just check the MSRP sticker to see that it had all of the options that you wanted before purchasing the vehicle?
  • spyderredspyderred Member Posts: 138
    I just helped a friend buy a brand new 2005 ES330 Alabaster with Navigation from Longo Lexus in Southern California MSRP $37,119 including destination. Purchase Price was $32,309 including destination (which is $750 below invoice) + Tax, Title, and registration + $45 doc prep. + 8.75 tire waste fee. I tried to negotiate the Lexus Platinum 7 yrs/100K mi/ $0 deductible extended warranty but finance manager wouldn't go lower than $1825, which is retail. Any leads on who may be able to sell me an Lexus Care extended warranty for a reasonable price? I bought my Pilot a couple of weeks ago and my Honda dealer matched College Hills Honda Honda Care internet price of $1,150 for the 7yrs/100Kmi/0 deductible.

Thanks in advance,

The buying experience was wonderful. Sales person was great, didn't push anything on us, very straight forward. It took my friend two hours to decide on color as Longo had all of them. Then it only took one hour to write up the contract and sign the paperwork.

Very professional.

Spyderred.
    I would report your dealer to Costco. They should always provide quotes in writing if you go into the dealer, which is required if you go through Costco.

Keep in mind that programs like Costco, Sam's Club etc. auto buying programs are "no haggle" programs. The dealer is supposed to give you the best price they can without your having to negotiate. Your salesman was violating the rules of Costco by trying to haggle with you.

Also, Costco should be able to provide you information on what kind of deals are available given the environmental factors at the time you are purchasing your vehicle.

I used Sam's Club to negotiate my deal in 2002. Based upon my experience, for Lexus anyway, these programs do not buy you much. I'd prefer to come to this thread to see what deals folks are getting at any given time, and then I'd negotiate a good price that way.

I might use Sam's Club or Costco if the only deals I could get in my geographical area were significantly higher (1-2% MSRP) than others on Edmunds were getting. This happened in Houston last August-September, when the lowest that buyers could get was 92% - 93% MSRP, which I consider outrageous. If the best I could get was 93% MSRP, I'd use Costco or Sam's Club as a sanity check.
    Even though I'm not a Lexus owner, I think you should have carefully inspected the window sticker and made sure all the options you wanted were there.

Always do your research before hand, read the fine print carefully, study the window sticker hard, and get everything in writing. Even an e-mail will work since you can always print it out.
    Okay I have narrowed my next car down to the 98 Lexus ES/300 or the 2003 Nissan Altima I can have either for about the same price Any opinions? Thanks.

James
    What's the mileage on each of them?
  • curt2005curt2005 Member Posts: 70
    In searching the forums, I saw some comments a year or so ago that Vehicle Stability Control is not available in cars that dealers have in stock and that it is only available with navigation. Is that the case these days? Thanks.
    45,000 on the nissan and 70,000 on the lexus
  • spyderredspyderred Member Posts: 138
    Go to www.lexus .com and when you go under build your lexus and enter your zipcode, it will show you how Lexus cars are built for your geographical area. They build them with different packages for different areas.

Good luck,

Spyderred.
  • jsceajjsceaj Member Posts: 4
    I am looking at the ES330 with the Nav System here in Maryland but all the dealers are stating that in order to get the Nav the car comes with a number of other opritons that I could care for one way or the other but the best price I can get is $34,435 plus taxes, tags and $98 processing fee. In addiiton I want the XM radio and the best prcie I can get there is $825. Can anyone provide any help!!!
  • weno2weno2 Member Posts: 38
    In the Chicagoland area, I'm seeing VSC included in cars w/Preferred Accessory package, 6 disc changer, adjustable pedals, heated front seats, wood knob, rear sunshade, and 17" wheels. Total price is approximately $35.6K. And the VSC's w/the Navigation/DVD. The only way you can get HID lights around here is w/the navigational package.
    Personally, I would go for the Altima since it has less mileage, but I haven't driven either the ES300 or the Altima, so I can't offer opinions.
  • curt2005curt2005 Member Posts: 70
    The Lexus site claims that VSC is an option, but the local dealers don't seem to have any cars with it.

Anyone here actually purchased an ES330 with VSC or is it a myth?
This discussion has been closed.