Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan 350Z Owners - Meet the Members

13»

Comments

• frog169frog169 Member Posts: 11
    To all the 2007 350z owners. Is there any problems with them? i know in the 03,04's there was a tire problem/suspension i wanna say it was. but was curious if anything in the 07s im thinking of buying a 07 enthusiast model, i got one offered to me by a dealer for 27,555. :-D i may say yes!
  • pil11763pil11763 Member Posts: 2
    I'm still dealing with the front end/tire issue. I have a 2003 Touring model which the dealer adjusted the front end and put two new tires on at 4000 miles.

I now have 24,000 miles, the front end noise is the worst it has ever been, the two front tires are feathered away and NISSAN is telling me they won't do anything about it.

This is a serious issue where these cars eat up front tires and as I see it, if you want to be noise free, the tires need to be changed every 10,000 miles. Mind you these tires are pretty expensive.

I've been told the later models do not exhibit this problem but you will not know until it's too late. I have serious doubts Nissan has corrected this issue because if it can be fixed they would have fixed mine.

Anyone care to share their experience with the front end problem?
  • dat2dat2 Member Posts: 251
    Yes, I had a 2005 Touring 6MT that I just traded in on a leftover 07 G35 coupe. The 350Z was great, put 38,000 miles on it and only bought one set of tires. They seemed to have fixed the tire problem on the 05s, at least mine didn't have any problems. I think the 06/07 has a more refined shifter. The 05 shifter can be temperamental, my 07 G has a wonderfully smooth shifter, but not quite as direct and mechanical feeling either! If you want a real sports car for a good price and don't mind some road noise (on rough roads I sometimes got a headache from the boominess inside)... go for the Z. Especially the new 07 model is awesome, and the Enthusiast trim is the best in my opinion (with stick)... the new motor rocks
  • maggot1maggot1 Member Posts: 4
    Nice post dat2, I've driven nothing but Zs since 1984. From 280 to 300TT (my favorite) through 350z Enthusiast coupes- an '03 - now an '05. Always manual tranny coupes. I loved the 300TT so much but I used it out, was forced to the 350.

This '05 is my least
    beloved- despite the excellent value, performance and exceptional exhaust tone... unfriendly in every other way and 2 years at 8k miles, endless clutch adjustments...
    I really wanted to love it... but haven't brought us closer. The lost amenities- absence of powered driver seat setting, glove box, midline box and all accessory controls non-intuitive and inaccessible to driver while he drives, absent support for left elbow- crucial for those with right hand on stick, tight dark crevices surrounding driver to render irretrievable any item he might drop, reverse gear in a place (& demanding compression down of stick) which makes rhythmic rocking from 1st to R and back (essential method to use when rearwheel drive car squeezes in tight spot or rocks out of slippery spots)... these annoying gaffes have not gotten less annoying w time but it's good news the stick feels better to you... I'd go back to the 5-speed if I could. I think the 6 is now industry standard so the move of R must be called a pet peeve now. I'm the eccentric now... maybe no others rocked 1st and R as I did when in a jam. It saved my but many times to get the car to pendulum mode that extended its traverse just a bit- but that bit was just the finesse needed! Well "sic transit gloria mundi" I guess

If I trade in for the 07 or 08 would I be likely to see *other* improvements over my
    05 Enthusiast coupe do ya think??
    thanks!- pham
    Nice post dat2, I've driven nothing but Zs since 1984. From 280 to 300TT (my favorite) through 350z Enthusiast coupes- an '03 - now an '05. Always manual tranny coupes. I loved the 300TT so much but I used it out, was forced to the 350.

This '05 is my least
    beloved- despite the excellent value, performance and exceptional exhaust tone... unfriendly in every other way and 2 years at 8k miles, endless clutch adjustments...
    I really wanted to love it... but haven't brought us closer. The lost amenities- absence of powered driver seat setting, glove box, midline box and all accessory controls non-intuitive and inaccessible to driver while he drives, absent support for left elbow- crucial for those with right hand on stick, tight dark crevices surrounding driver to render irretrievable any item he might drop, reverse gear in a place (& demanding compression down of stick) which makes rhythmic rocking from 1st to R and back (essential method to use when rearwheel drive car squeezes in tight spot or rocks out of slippery spots)... these annoying gaffes have not gotten less annoying w time but it's good news the stick feels better to you... I'd go back to the 5-speed if I could. I think the 6 is now industry standard so the move of R must be called a pet peeve now. I'm the eccentric now... maybe no others rocked 1st and R as I did when in a jam. It saved my but many times to get the car to pendulum mode that extendeded its traverse just a bit- but that bit was often just the finesse needed! Well "sic transit gloria mundi" I guess.

If I trade in for the 07 or 08 would I be likely to see *other* improvements over my
    05 Enthusiast coupe... do ya think??
    thanks!- pham
  • sweetmotionsweetmotion Member Posts: 7
    Hi! New member to this site but old member to the club! I ordered my Z and got her in Sept of 2002.(130,000 miles) I had only two worries, whether I am tall enough to see over the dashboard and if I would like the color, "sunset" with black interior. Both work out great, I get a lot of comments and reactions when I show up in my Z! It is nearly like being with a movie star, my car gets noticed, not me. But I noticed that doesn't stop stupid drivers from hitting my car in parking lots!! I got a small problems with the car, mainly the windows not rolling up all the way. Had to replace a part of the computer-control valve that controls the air flow. And I HATE the cup holder next to the radio, ac controls! I notice they removed that from newer Z's. The only improvment I done so far is putting in the cold air system, which has improve the gas mileage, from 18 to 21plus in the city and 25mpg on the highway IF I set the speed that 70mph! I am having problems putting my picture on this site, but I hope to get it worked out soon.
  • sweetmotionsweetmotion Member Posts: 7
    I got to order my Z and got to start driving her since Oct of 2002, I have 130,000 miles on the speeddomter and thought I do have some small issues, like the cupholder next to the stero/cd player,(ug!!) and people parking too close and pinnging my doors, LOVE THE CAR AND THE DRIVING EXPERIENCE!! I wish I live somewhere where the road has plently of cruves and no traffic and no cops!! Thank God for the speed control! Sunset stands out as a wonderful color but as cops have told me, they noticed too! (Arkansas police doesn't like me at all) It is hard to keep the speed down and my special tag doesn't help either, Z U! The only major mechnical trouble was an computer part that control the air flow to the engine. I also change out the air filter system to the cold air system, bought and instulled with Nissan service shop. The cold air and the slick 50 oil added has improve the gas milage to 20plus in city driving and at 70mph, I get 25mpg. Everyone loves my Z and I get a lot of smiles and funny things happen to me, like the time I was driving down the interstate in heavy traffic and out of the corner of my eye I see a "flash", I don't pay any attenation until it happens again and so I look around and in front of me, about 3 cars ahead is a tall van with dark big windows. I can see figures moving in the van and they was sharing a camera and taking pictures of my Z! So I got behind the van and watch them take pictures and pass the camera back and forth to get all the angles they can get! I did get a couple of negivie responds, two different times, people has told me that they hate the color! I didn't say anything, what was there to say? I just walk away. Can't please all the people all the time!! I plan to keep my car (Lord willing) as long as possible, I want to rack up as many miles as I can with my Z. I smile everytime I look at my Z and can't enjoy it enough.
    Well I'm asking for this:
    "A 350 non-Nismo-Extra-pack-nor silly huge aft wing spoiler. Off-
    White/ or pearly whitish Enthusiast Coupe '07 or '08
    5 or 6-spd stick tranny with mud flaps and aluminum door
    plate rocker panel thingie, and proper removeable
    carpet floor mats and -NO flashy wheel covers
    Non-Leather upholstery, nor fancy sound upgrade nor GPS"

Wish I could ask for a 5-speed so I might rock to and from from 1st to Reverse (not possible if R is front right and stick need vertical compressed simultaneous!)
    Also would prefer a HUD or at least steering wheel hub with radio buttons / CD control instead of drive control (as on my '05 model)
    Wish I could have a power river seat with lumbar pad . Wish I could have glove box in front of me so I can have it in my peripheral view without turning my neck and head 90 degrees from the car's motion vector. Wish the elbow support on the drivers door has been built up since my needing to duct tape a riser on it so's my left elbow could hold the steering wheel without sticking straight forward from my axilla absent any lean fulcrum beteen me and the wheel like on my '05 Entusiaiast, wish I could have a little snap lever under the rear view mirror for night driving like ever car did before these darn wimpy automatic glare filters that don't do a dang thing to the Xenon Kliegs of the Hummer tailgating me at midnight...

Dream Dream Dream.

Well- can I at least expect the extra horses in the tweaked V-6 to kick my but a bit harder and hesitate less off the line than did my 2005 350ZX??

-Maggot
  • bodazafa2004bodazafa2004 Member Posts: 2
    What are proper removable floor mats, power river seat with lumbarpad? How do you hold the steering wheel with your elbow? Oh and by the way...the new auto dimming mirror works bitchin in the 2007 350Z. If you have a Hummer tailgating you at midnight then you need to learn how to put your foot to the floor. And yes
    the new V-6 has alot of kick. Buy one and your Hummer nightmares will go away.
    Trust me.
  • asmitalasmital Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I test drove a used Nissan 350Z convertible (Touring package) and absolutely fell in LOVE with it. The dealer is selling it for $24K and it has 18K miles on it... its a 2004... seems like a really good price. However, when I asked if I could try to take the top down to get a feel for it as a convertible, he top wouldn't go all the way down. Now I do live in Chicago and its that time of the year when the weather is really cold... could this have to do with the cold temperatures? The dealer seemed to think it was the cold that was affecting the stiffness of the roof. Another dealer on the lot had one and tried his... the first time around his also got stuck, but then second time around it worked and went all the way down. However, for the one I test drove we tried many times to get the top down and it wouldn't work. I really really love that car and would hope it just has to do with the cold weather so that I can make a decision to buy it if its just that. Thanks for all your insights.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    was this a nissan dealer?
    i wouldn't buy it without knowing it worked or they would fix it if it didn't. if they have a garage, why not put it in there for a couple of hours and try it? that would answer the question, at least.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• bodazafa2004bodazafa2004 Member Posts: 2
    First off. Me personally. I think the convertables are, how should I say? I want a real roof over my head in case something happens to go wrong. God forbid.
    You say the selling price is 24K for a 2004 convertible. And 18,000 miles to boot?
    Find out what what kind of deal they'll work before you buy it.I bought an "07" with 40 miles on it, only because the dealer had to bring it to my location.I bought it with everything but the GPS for 32K. Neeedless to say, I can't wait to go to work in the morning. Got to love the "Z" no matter what your'e preference is.
  • kennedy220kennedy220 Member Posts: 1
    getting ready to buy a 350z. and decided to see about all the problems i might fac with the first year run....i see you guys have been having transmission problems with the 03 i was wondering if anyone has heard about the automatics and how they are holding up..i only seem to see probs with the sticks..im choosing automatic b/c of what im reading here. im also thinking about purchasing an 05-06 b/c of the 03 problems...anyway just want to know a few peoples thoughts or experiences with the 03 automatic
  • dat2dat2 Member Posts: 251
    Hi Maggot,
    I have rocked many rear drive cars to get unstuck but never shifting between 1st to reverse. I have had lots of luck just using momentum in 1st gear (or with auto for that matter). Keep it in first, hit the gas lightly just before slippage, let off so the car rocks back, gas lightly to rock forward, and pretty soon you keep doing this and your momentum will pull you out of most ruts save for deep deep snow or ice pack. Try this and you will also avoid wrecking your manual box.

I think you would be really happy with the 07 VQ motor improvements, it sounds like a real beast! I also think you would like the updated tranny. However the rough and tumble interior will never compare to the 90s 300zx model with its relatively luxurious interior. I would suggest finding a leftover 07 G coupe at a significant discount. Most dealers are discounting those 5 grand or more now! Good luck! :)
    My 2008 Enthusiast is on its way. I spent hours fidddling with the clutch on my '05 until I got it right using gorgeous
    DIY instructions on www forums. I'll let you know if they got a decent clutch adjustment onn my 08 if not I can link you to step-by-step posts any idiot could understand. Hell- I did!
  • smokin98sssmokin98ss Member Posts: 13
    Bought an 07 Touring 6sp coupe saturday. Been waiting for it for three weeks. I bought it for 24,000. Miles are a little high, 19k. I had only test driven an 06 auto, and there is no comparison. The extra 23 hp feels like 50 at least. I'd had a camaro ss and this thing will beat it by a little in a straight line and just kill it in curves. I really thought I had a strong car until I climbed into this thing. Pictures of it here: link title">link title
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    smokin, I couldn't get to your pictures. Would you mind posting them in your CarSpace?

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• smokin98sssmokin98ss Member Posts: 13
    Uploaded a few at my carspace http://www.carspace.com/smokin98ss
  • sc24sc24 Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a used 03' touring edition, amazing machine the 350Z is. I bought it from an Acura dealership, a few days ago i was looking at the exhaust pipes and i notice the right pipe is extended a little further than the left pipe i mean at first i thought my eyes were playing tricks on me then i had my friend look and he said the same thing, is it suppose to be like that? b/c before i bought my Z i saw a Z parked and i was checking it out and i noticed it on that Z too, so can anyone tell me are the pipes suppose to be like that? i was shown the carfacts report and my Z hasnt been in any accidents or had any problems whatsoever

if anyone can let me know that would be great!
  • cuco1cuco1 Member Posts: 2
    I just leased a 2008 Nissan 350Z Touring Convertible. Auto with the 3.5L 6 cylinder engine.

Amazing power and handling. I just got done with a lease of a BMW Z4. The 350Z is a much better car. I love it
This discussion has been closed.