Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX vs Acura TL

Comments

• goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    Not real hard to go to the Acura website dispel your unprepared rebuttal to the meateater.

TL has 53 more hp and 67 lbs/ft torque - which I would consider (and most others would too) a LOT more performance.

Tires - no - they both don't come standard with AS Michelins. The base TL has 235/45 Bridgestones - the TSX has 215/50s. The TL was wider wheels too (8s vs. 7s in the TSX)

Yea the TL does sit lower. Put your 350lb man in a TSX and it'll be even slower.

Brakes? Recheck bro. The TL has bigger rear brakes.

More multipoint links in the suspension. Better electronics too. And better looking.

I don't think anyone is calling the TSX a loser, just that its nowhere near the car the TL is.

Give me a V6 Accord over the TSX any day.
  • johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    The TL does handle great - for its size. It just can't get past the fact that it weighs considerably more than the TSX. I like the TSX's quicker steering better also.

Keep in mind that I run mine with the A-Spec suspension, which is some 10% stiffer than stock and drops the car ~1". The biggest limiter at this point is tires.

The TL is a great car, especially in its new "S" form. I feel the TSX in its base form handles better and feels more nimble than the TL in its base form. IMO, the TL leans more towards the touring side of things, while the TSX leans more towards the sporting side, ala BMW 325i.

See fedlawmans post - he makes the case better than I ever could.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    "Not real hard to go to the Acura website dispel your unprepared rebuttal to the meateater."

Tell me what part of my rebuttal was "unprepared" and "dispelled" by the Acura website.

The TL has approximately 50 HP more than the TSX. The website says 53. Yes, the TQ gap is wider - I apologize for missing 17 ft lbs.

However, what good is peak power output if the car doesn't use it? According to Car and Driver Magazine road tests conducted in 2004, a 6-speed TL is only about 1.2 seconds quicker to 60 MPH and through the 1/4 mile than a 6-speed TSX (and the 2007 TSX is up about 12 HP from 2004, so the gap is likely smaller today). Sure, the TL is quicker, but not a "lot" quicker.

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/7597/acura-tl.html
    http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/6742/2004-acura-tsx.html

I suspect that weight, along with the TL's "Torque Steer Reduction System" are to blame. The system, which cannot be disengaged, reduces the TL's engine torque in 1st and 2nd gear "when torque steer is most likely to occur."

"Tires - no - they both don't come standard with AS Michelins."

As for tires, according to TL owner's I know, many TL's were equipped with Michelin all-season tires. I looked again at the Acura website for the Bridgestone Turanza EL42 and couldn't find a reference either way (maybe you can show me?). I don't know who can say that the Bridgestone Turanza EL42 is a better "all-season touring tire" than the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4, but, FWIW, I see that Tire Rack's survey has this Bridgestone rated 3rd from the bottom (26th place out of 28 tires).

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ST

You are correct about the TL's wheels being 1" wider. Other than these wheels adding unsprung mass (additional suspension loading and slower transition response), what does this do for the TL's handling?

"Yea the TL does sit lower."

1/3rd of an inch less ground clearance does not necessarily mean the TL sits lower. I believe that the TL's larger V-6 block is taller than TSX's 4 cylinder mill, hence a loss of ground clearance. Show me where the TL has a "lower suspension."

"Brakes? Recheck bro."

Thanks, but I already knew about the TL's 1" larger rear brakes. Who cares about rear brakes? I've driven all manner of cars on the racetrack over the years (yes, that includes a TSX), and I've never had my REAR BRAKES fade. If you want to beef about brakes, you should beef about the fact that the 350# heavier (and nose heavier) TL has the SAME SIZE front brakes as the much lighter TSX!

"More multipoint links in the suspension."

You're going to have to help me out here. Where did you find this info and what advantage does it give the TL?

"Better electronics"

Are you talking about safety nannies I don't want/need, or DVD-Audio I can't enjoy in the noise-filled cockpit of a moving car?

"Better looking too."

Subjective.

"I don't think anyone is calling the TSX a loser, just that its nowhere near the car the TL is."

The TL is a fine, sporty, near-luxury sedan. It's fast, handles well, and is fun to drive. But compared to the TSX, the TL feels muted. It's softer, heavier, and less responsive. Many people are cross-shopping the TL and TSX, and choosing the TSX - and not necessarily because of price. The TSX, thanks to it's higher revving engine and lighter weight, simply offers a more dynamic, more exciting driving experience.

The people on this board who defend the TSX do tend to get defensive, mostly because so many people (for 4 years) have taken issue with the 4 cylinder, European Accord roots. What the naysayers don't get is that, these are the very traits that make the TSX so unique and desireable as a sport sedan. Put the TL and S2000 in a bag and shake them up - the result is the TSX.
  • ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    a 6-speed TL is only about 1.2 seconds quicker to 60 MPH

1.2 seconds quicker to 60 mph is a HUGE difference.

Face it - the TSX is slow compared to lots of similarly priced sedans out there. I'll bet the plan is to add a turbo real soon to fix this problem (ala BMW 3 series). Then we're talking about something special.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    quicker to get a speeding then
    "Don't get me wrong. I respect the TSX. I drove the TSX before buying a TL. The TSX seemed like a toy power-wise compared to the TL. With all the spirited options out there I couldn't see buying an underpowered car that I had to constantly red-line to get power."

Believe it or not, I agree with you. In 2003 when the TSX first came out, it was comparable, power-wise, with the 325i, A4, etc. When I first drove it, I too was underwhelmed with it's lack of low-end TQ, but after 2 more test-drives, I was finally hooked on it's overall balance.

I never intended to imply that the TL is a pig. The TL is a fantastic sedan with a very attractive mix of performance and luxury. When I say it's too heavy, know that I think the same of all modern cars. Weight is the enemy of performance, and the TL, along with the BMW 3-series, Infiniti G35, Audi A4, etc. is fast approaching 4000 lbs - that's SUV territory! The TL (and the rest of the class) carries it's weight very well, and for the most part, hides it's weight effectively, thanks to ever wider tires, ever more advanced suspensions, and ever growing HP. But there is a price to pay, and in my drives in the TL, I found it to be too soft. Sporty enough for 90% of the population, but not for me.

As a daily driver, I admit the TL makes more sense, and is the more accessible car. It's got power, it's got moves, and it's comfortable. For the majority of drivers, the TSX is simply harder to love.

I have fond memories of driving my TSX, especially at the track, but in stock form, I have no allusions about it's limitations and place in the marketplace today. Today, I drive a RWD, 250 HP, 4 cylinder, 2700# BMW. It has no electronics, no airbags, and I love it to death - and I have the TSX to thank for relighting the fire within me and steering me in that direction.
    "1.2 seconds quicker to 60 mph is a HUGE difference."

In my opinion, the added weight and cabin isolation of the TL mutes the experience compared to the TSX.

The TL doesn't feel as fast as it really is. The TSX feels faster than it actually is. For me, it's not how quick you get there, it's the getting there that I live for.

"the TSX is slow compared to lots of similarly priced sedans out there."

I've got to disagree. It's slow compared to the new crop of entry-lux sedans, but while they have all left the TSX behind in performance, they have also gotten more expensive.

Where does the TSX's performance fit in with other near-lux performance cars that cost under $30K (most TSX's sell for closer to $25K)? Actually, there are no other near-lux performance cars under $30K.

"I'll bet the plan is to add a turbo real soon to fix this problem."

Sadly, you're probably right. IMO, I think a turbo (a la RDX), with it's lower redline and lower compression, would detract from the zingy, playful character of the current TSX. My old Miata took almost 10 seconds to reach 60 MPH - and it was one of the most fun cars I have owned.
  • booyahcramerbooyahcramer Member Posts: 172
    Weight is the enemy of performance, and the TL, along with the BMW 3-series, Infiniti G35, Audi A4, etc. is fast approaching 4000 lbs

A TL weighs 3623 lbs. How is that 'fast approaching 4000 lbs " ? Even so the TL handles its weight marvelously. The car never feels heavy to me.

I never understood the TSX appeal. I mean - a high red-liner is not that much 'fun' as a daily driver. My ex tired of her MR2 real quick. Today's V6s are such a better option now that they're getting 32+ mpgs hwy and don't have to rev to 6000 rpms to hit the powerband. The TSX is screaming at those revs.

The TSX is a good looking car tho.
    "A TL weighs 3623 lbs. How is that 'fast approaching 4000 lbs?"

Cars in general are growing larger and heavier every generation.

The current TL weighs more than the RL of 10 years ago. The current RL weighs 4000#.

The 2007 TL also weighs more than the Infiniti G35, BMW 3-series, and Lexus IS350 - cars that all weigh too much themselves.

Small luxury performance sedans, like all cars in general, are growing bigger, heavier, and more powerful. So much so that cars that used to occupy the bottom of a segment are being replaced by new models.

Consider my old 1979 Honda Civic. It had a 1500# curb weight and was basic transportation for 4 people. Today, the Civic weighs 2800#, and by comparison, is a midsize luxury performance car. No longer the entry-level, the Civic has been replaced by the Fit, which in it's most basic form, is the spiritual successor to the Civic of old.

But Honda's not alone. The E90 BMW 3-series is basically the same size and weight of the E39 (last generation) 5-series - and unlike Honda, BMW doesn't have a smaller sedan (in the US) to replace the 3 as "entry-level." At least Honda has the TSX.

This discussion is similar to a group of Honda S2000 owners talking to a group of Corvette owners. The Corvette owners don't understand the appeal of a 4 cylinder car with skinny tires and no low-end torque. Why should they? They have 400 HP and 35 series tires mounted on 19" wheels. They are faster in a straight line and faster around corners. The Corvette is clearly "more car" than the little S2000.

Even if the Corvette cost half the price of the S2000, I'd still pick the little Honda every time - and many enthusiasts would do the same.
    It is amazing that honda/acura did not get a vehicle with turbo years ago. We have owned numerous turbo vehicles-from the 80's on mercedes,volvo, mitsubishi, mazda and a eagle.
    I never understood the TSX appeal. I mean - a high red-liner is not that much 'fun' as a daily driver. My ex tired of her MR2 real quick. Today's V6s are such a better option now that they're getting 32+ mpgs hwy and don't have to rev to 6000 rpms to hit the powerband. The TSX is screaming at those revs.

This is misleading. You're making the TSX out to have S2000 or RX8 like qualities, as if all its power is made up high. The TSX does rev nicely, but it is also very useable for day to day driving. 166lb ft of torque is plenty for daily driving. The torque curve is flat and linear all the way up to redline. The car does very well around town. I have 21,000 miles of seat time in the car to prove it.

As of today, I've owned this car for three years, and not once have I ever felt like it was not useable for day to day driving. You do not have to 'high redline" the car to make use of its power. That's just not the case.

It's remarkable to me, but I've heard over and over that the TSX is "underpowered" (usually from people who do not own the car) yet I keep having run-ins with Johnny Law because I'm driving too damn fast.

If this is underpowered, I definitely do not need more power.

I never understood the TSX appeal.

This statement is revealing. People who don't own the car don't get it. People who do own it do get it. That should speak to you in and of itself. The TSX has a very enthusiastic following.

:shades:
  • ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    I never understood the TSX appeal.

I don't either. A V6 Accord sounds much better to me.
    I have a tsx and love it. It is the matter of personal likes. The tsx works for me even if is not a v6- or 8. I do mostly highway driving with no problems. I personally like the looks of the tsx over the accord.
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    I bought a tl in 05 and love it. But the more I see the tsx on the road I have become to really like it's look. :shades:
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,721
    I equate the TSX with the previous gen TL in the looks department: handsome, but generic. The new TL, to me, is just a very handsome car from almost any angle. Both inside and out.

FriscoNick: Remember me? You were going to adopt me and buy me oh so many wonderful cars... ;)

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• chihawkchihawk Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the process of getting a new car and I am considering both the TSX and the TL. Unfortunately, there is no Acura dealer close by so I haven't taken either one for a test drive yet.

I am 6'4", so legroom/driver comfort is a BIG deal for me. From what I hear, the TL is good for taller people, but I haven't heard anything about the TSX yet. Are there any tall TSX drivers out there that can chime in.

I currently don't have any kids, but would like to get a car that could comfortable accomodate a child and stroller in the future.

Lastly, I'm probably looking to buy a car that's 1-3 years old. Any thoughts on specific years that is better than another. For ex, 06 is much preferred over 05 for some reason, etc.

Thanks.
    Yes I remember you!!! How are you ;)

I agree, but I appreciated the TSX more than I did n the past.
    All's well. Hopefully for you, too.

Happy New Year!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Everythings great!

Happy New Year!
  • starman98starman98 Member Posts: 119
    A TSX is faster than a Lexus IS250
    I didn't know that, and the TSX looks better.
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    and it comes loaded!
  • jsandberg77jsandberg77 Member Posts: 7
    Chihawk - I'm taller - 6'3", and I recently purchased an '06 TSX. No problems with fitting into the car. In fact, I feel like I have more head and shoulder room in this car than in my wife's RX330. The '06 TSX has many upgrades over the '04 and '05 version, including a more powerful engine, updated front fascia, different wheels, and a number of other bells and whistles. My advice, if you're thinking of the TSX, would be to look into getting a new '06 if you can find one. I've seen that this car can be had (non-navi) for ~$24,500.
    How much more hp does the tsx have? I was checking cars in 05 and the tsx had about 200hp, which I didn't like. although for everyday driving 200hp is fine.
  • jsandberg77jsandberg77 Member Posts: 7
    You're correct - the 2004-05 TSX has 200 hp. The 2006-2007 TSX has 205 hp. However, there is more than a 5 hp jump. For 2006 models, Honda/Acura began using revised SAE standards to rate their engines. I read an article that the jump in hp from 04 to 06 is actually about 13 hp - you may want to search to find more info on this. More evidence of these new standards can be seen in the hp ratings for the TL - it was rated at 270 hp until the 2006 model year when it was re-rated at 258 hp.

As for everyday driving - my TSX does just fine. It won't give you a kick in the pants like a TL does off the line, but get the engine up above 3000 rpm and it really moves.
    A 13hp boost is nice. Excuse my ignorence what is the SAE standard, and how is different from the old standard?
    :cry:
  • dynatsx1dynatsx1 Member Posts: 10
    ok - now DON'T QUOTE ME on this, but the SAE is the society of automotive engineers. They have had standards for hp testing, but there were areas within the standard that were subject to interpretation. This resulted in non-uniformity in hp ratings in the world market. This wasn't a big deal up until 20 years ago when the automotive industry truly went global. Recently, the SAE standards were revised to gain uniformity in hp rating. I'm not sure what all the changes were, but I think that the higher hp ratings in honda/acura vehicles was partly, if not mostly, due to the fact that they didn't hook the alternator, ac, and other devices to the engine while running the dyno test. Again, I'm not sure if this is all accurate - just my recollection.
    Thanks, it seems to make sense. :)
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    I think the TSX is also good for taller drivers. Anyway, I mainly want to respond to your request for Any thoughts on specific years that is better than another with respect to hte TL, which is what I have.

I have an 04 TL. If you're planning on getting an automatic, I think you need to make sure you drive it in the 40-55 mph-range for an extended time (like a minute or so). Some cars had issues where they would upshift too soon, causing vibration.

04 and 05 had dash fade issues, though I think this was an overblown problem easily-fixed with an application any Armor All-like product.

In '06 TL added a torque sensor that reduced engine output when it sensed torque-stear. I have not experienced this, but I, personally view that as another feature I'd want to disengage when I enterred the car. After all, I know when I'm going to step on it, and I'd rather just remember to hold on tight, than to have the engine output reduced.

I would think that you could get a great deal on an '04 or '05 coming off a lease.
    the new generation of the TL, the 04, had some problems, I have an 05 with no problems. No vibrations or dash fade. I would sure like to get the 07 S-type, but my wife won't let me. :cry:
  • am153am153 Member Posts: 10
    I'm in the market for a new car.

My old one is an 89 Acura Legend with 170,000 miles. Very reliable car, but it's time to move on.

I test drove both the '07 TSX and '07 TL today. Loved them both, but the salesman would like to make a sale and I can't make up my mind. Can anyone help me decide?
    How can strangers on the 'net help you to spend your money?

What are your needs/wants/desires in a car? How much can you/do you want to spend? What did you love about each? If you love the TSX, why do you want to spend more on a TL? And what salesman wouldn't like to make a sale?

Having posed all these questions, here's my advice: Buy the TL. It's prettier and faster. Or the TSX. It's less expensive and more nimble. No, prettier and faster wins. Buy the TL... :)

Laurasdada, some help you are. Anyone else want to help me spend my money?

I also test drove an Audi A4 (another great car), Hyundai Azera (nice, inexpensive, but the nearest dealer is miles away), and the Infiniti G35 (another great car, but expensive and no negotiating on price or terms, so I'll pass, here.)

And I disagree about prettier and faster since both Acuras do well there.

Oh well, I think I'll have my wife make the decision. Thanks, anyhow, boys and girls. ;)
    Can you hold out for one more year? Both vehicles will be redesigned next year and both will be exceptionally better than its current versions.

I can understand about having the wife help with the decision but if the car is for you- have some input. Both are much more fun with the manual tranny and offer exceptional "performance" for being FWD. Really depends on what your wants and desires are.

But- I'm with laurasdada- I got the TL ;). I wanted more power, more torque and more space. You can't go wrong with either. Their both winners IMHO.
    Thanks for the info on a redesign next year.

As it turns out, my plan is on leasing for two years, just in time to re-lease either the new TSX or TL.

Based on your (and laurasdada) advice, my lean is toward the TL, unless I hear otherwise.
    i have a 06 tsx-6spd with nav. I put over 5,000 miles on it in one month-mostly highway driving. It is a very comfortable riding car and does great on the highways. Just letting you know my opinion. I was planning to wait for the new ones but as you can tell I did not and glad I didn't
    If I was to get a TL, it would only be the MT equipped Type S. Otherwise I'd probably do the MT TSX all over again.
    I'm with Laurasdada on this, TL is prettier and definately faster. :shades:
    yes the tl is probably faster but unfortunately there are those nasty speed limits. the tsx was able to keep up on the 70mph speed limit highways averaging almost 36mpg.Can not get the TL in Milano red which is what I have.
  • richey02hgrichey02hg Member Posts: 69
    only the TSX is getting redesigned next year, the TL isn't until model year 2009. Has that changed?
  • richey02hgrichey02hg Member Posts: 69
    i was stuck between the tsx and the tl for about 3 months, once I test drove the TL, i couldnt go back. The TSX felt a little too cramped for me compared to the TL (im 6 ft 1, 190 lbs) plus the fact that the TSX Is going to be redesigned in less than a year made me lean more towards the TL as well
    Don't get me wrong, I think the TSX is very pretty car and has plenty of hp.
    I would think a lease on a car that will be redesigned the next year (the TSX) would translate into a great lease deal for you I'll bet. This is when you find the best lease deals. Acura will probably put on lease special out on the TSX pretty soon.

But I'd get the TL. You won't regret it. Get the carbon bronze too.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    I test drove both the '07 TSX and '07 TL today. Loved them both, but the salesman would like to make a sale and I can't make up my mind. Can anyone help me decide?

If you had a Legend, the TL is closer to that level of car than TSX I think.

Wife has an 04 TL, and previously had an 01 TL. She wants a new car and will look at 07 TL and G35. We will hang onto 04 TL.

Style being subjective, our tastes would give nod to TL over TSX in that regard. TL of course has more HP and torque than TSX and that is usually preferred by many.

Color of course is very personal, but we like silver as on our 04. If wife gets an 07, it will be silver. My opinion of course, but I think that silver best shows off all of the beautiful lines, shapes, contours, etc of the TL. Dark colors seem to mask a lot of the very good lines.

Issue on TSX is not HP, but torque. The engine is low on torque and have to keep revs up for HP. Check out what magazines such as Car and Driver and Road and Track say about TSX engine.
    The lease idea is great one.

I only saw the carbon bronze in a picture and looked like plain brown. It probably looks better in real life.
    The 4GTL will show up in 08 as an 09.
    Issue on TSX is not HP, but torque. The engine is low on torque and have to keep revs up for HP. Check out what magazines such as Car and Driver and Road and Track say about TSX engine.

Or better yet, drive the car yourself and figure it out on your own. The car is not low on torque and you do not have to keep the revs up. Very useable power throughout the powerband.
    The car IS low on torque, but so is the S2000 which is a smaller 4 cyl. but cranks out 235 hp.

The TSX is a nice car but its 4 cyl engine seems to have gotten passed by by technology-driven 6 cyls that have the low end punch but also deliver good gas mileage and low emissions.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Or better yet, drive the car yourself and figure it out on your own. The car is not low on torque and you do not have to keep the revs up. Very useable power throughout the powerband.

Car and Driver and Edmunds have said that TSX is low on torque and that you DO need to keep the revs up. Following is excerpt from Edmunds:

"Driving Impressions
    The TSX is sophisticated and super fun, like a sports coupe in a tuxedo. While the four-cylinder engine is a tad underpowered and seriously lacking torque, once you get it revved up, it really delivers."
    I own and have driven the car for three years, and I don't care what Edmunds or C&D or anyone else says. The car has very useable power throughout.

I didn't say it was a HP or torque-monster, it's not, but to say it's lacking torque with regards to day to day driving is mischaracterizing it.

And the Edmunds quote is referring to spirited driving. In those instances, you do need to keep revs up for max peformance.

So what?
This discussion has been closed.