Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda S2000

Comments

• carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    Hi everyone. I'm buying a car within a month, and a used S2000 is among my candidates. It would be a daily driver; I live in the SF Bay Area so it would see rain but no freezing temperatures.

I've only really driven beaters up through now, so I'm not worried about the S2000 being too uncomfortable for me, and I do have access to a larger vehicle when necessary.

What I'm worried about is just not being able to handle it. I've read about the S2000 losing control without warning and without allowing recovery. I can be discipined while driving, but I'm certainly not experienced and I'm not 100% smooth and perfect with my inputs either.

So is it possible to learn on the S2000 without killing one's self? Anyone put a lot of rain miles on theirs?
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I've read about the S2000 losing control without warning and without allowing recovery.

I never experienced a sudden loss of control in 2.5 years and 19,000 miles. On the other hand, the S2000 is a lighweight roadster and the OEM high perfomance summer tires are not great in heavy rain (and horrible in snow). I drove my S2000 when it was relatively new on a 250 mile highway drive in steady rain without problem. But I wouldn't want to make a habit of it and definitely not on tires that were near the end of their treadlife. Also, on the highway, the low sitting S2000 puts you in the tire spray from SUV's and big trucks, making it necessary to pay attention and have good wiper blades.

On dry pavement, the S2000 is an exceptional handling vehicle. If you are going to push it to the limit, I would advise taking a performance driving course. The older models do not have stability control.

Lastly, if you can find a 2002 or 2003 instead of a 2001, I'd strongly recommend it. In 2002, Honda went to a glass rear window, a stronger transmission and added a couple of other features.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    I have put my S2000 through its paces on the tight, twisty back roads here in NE and I can say with confidence that the S2000 has limits far beyond anything I will ever push.

If you are interested in seeing what an S is capable of, check this out:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7...4830688&q=S2000

Now this is a prototype in the video, but it is a pretty clear indication of what the car can do outside of the Nurburgring. :D
  • dbustodbusto Member Posts: 2
    i just bought one today in yhe detroit area and will driving it year-round---any other words of advice? thanks.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    Some of the forums have tire discussions; the stock tires don't seem to be the best way to go during the rainy season (I hope it's not going to be a snow driver too).
  • 1slopo1slopo Member Posts: 1
    never mind the end. has any one heard if they might put a v6 or and 8 in this thing?
  • njexpressnjexpress Member Posts: 170
    Folks,
    It's been a month since the fluid swap and Here's the dealeo: GMSM-FM did not improve anything significantly. It feels good in a way the shifter feels good after a fresh fluid change. Am I disappointed? Yes - Just a bit. Am I upset - Absolutely not! - I still love the S2K for what it is!!!!!
    My Verdict: Unless you feel compelled to do something and are in the mood to try this out - I do not recommend it based on my personal experience.

Zaino has been another story, altogether. I did a 100% detailing once last month: Dawn Detergent Wash,Clay Bar, Dawn Again, Z5/z6, Z5/Z6, Z2/Z6, Z2/Z6 AND Z2/Z6 and a final Z6 one last time. Came out really great except: I skimped on the fresh cotton towel part so, I thought I saw more spiderwebs between the z5/z6 and the last and final Z6.
    I drove it once in the rain and Zaino produced the most beautiful beads I have ever seen.
    I did another 99.9% detailing last week: Z7, Z5/Z6, a partial Z5/Z6, Z2/Z6, Z2/Z6, Z2/Z6 and a final Z6. I haven't been driving it much but it does look priceless and it is well worth the pain on the Formula red S2K. I definitely feel the finish improves with multiple detailings. One more detailing and I am really going to be asking for trouble, seriously. I don't need sunglasses yet, like it says in the Zaino ads and it is by no means spider web free. But, it DOES GLEAM as much as if not more than a car inside a showroom. I am positive it will get even better after I invest 10 more hours. I will post my feedback on whether it really looks show car like at that point.
    On the flip side, it didn't do a decent job on my Alabaster white ML. The SUV is also driven about 25K miles a yearon an average and exposed far more to the elements AND it is white. SO, I will let Zaino slide on that one. I also never bothered to do a second detailing since I wasn't so sure of what that couldv'e done.
    I wouldn't expect a full finish on lighter colors but it is well worth it if you are investing all the time and money on darker colors.
    Cheers!!
    --njexpress
    Zaino has been another story, altogether. I did a 100% detailing once last month: Dawn Detergent Wash,Clay Bar, Dawn Again, Z5/z6, Z5/Z6, Z2/Z6, Z2/Z6 AND Z2/Z6 and a final Z6 one last time.

Good heavens, how long did that take? What does the clay bar do?

I have been using Maguires Professional #26 wax on all of my cars for 12+/- years. Takes 45 minutes, start to finish on my 911 Cabriolet. But if you think I'll really notice a difference with Zaino (Seal Grey color), I'll give it a whirl (or swirl), as long as it doesn't consume the entire weekend.
  • ramses1ramses1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2005 S2000 Black on Black. I've owned at least 10 cars so far but I've NEVER had so much fun as I've had with the S2000. Once you learn to become one with it, you end up playing it like a musical instrument. Shifting/down shifting accelerating to passing speed and then just glide into position. Accelarating just before small hills just to feel a little weightless for a moment...

I've had bouts of depressions most of my life. As soon as I get behind the wheel I start smiling and I leave my bad mood in the dust. When I was little my parents bought me an electric kiddy car when I was 7. If my s2000 were automatic, I would swear I was 7 again.

If you're someone who likes the drive more than arriving at the destination, this car is it.
    One word of advice, pick carefully your passenger and that he/she trusts you. Otherwilse, you'll feel like you'll need to drive it like a cadillac. Remember the car is more important than any queasy passenger! Friends come and go but you can always buy another S2000.

Now two suggestions for improvements. First a coin change compartment on the left hand side under the remote radio controls. and Second, install turn signal controls somewhere on the center console or stick shift. When you're busy watching the road and making split-second maneuvers, usually your left hand is on the steering wheel and right on the stick. It's distracting to take you hand off the wheel to use the existing indicater actuator. I think more of use would use turn signals too!
    Oh well, it was worth a try with the GMS... Sorry your results were not as positive. :(
    Hi ABGM, Thanks for all the valuable input you provided - It is genuinely appreciated - I guess I have a finicky baby who is otherwise the best after all ;-)
    Hi Habitat,
    A full end to end Zaino job takes 8 man hours on an average. I typically start around 5 PM (and wrap up around 2 AM) when it is light out yet not so hot, so I can do the Dawn Detergent Wash and the Clay Bar rub when it is bright.
    Clay Bar = Detailing Clay. It remoes any surface contaminants or impurites, including metal dust, minute rusts where paint is chipped, brake dust etc... It is a good time to do any paint touch ups ater Dawn/ClayBar/Dawn. That's the reason I recomend starting at 5PM. There should be daylight left for the touch ups.
    By no means will it be a whirl as you said ;-) It does tak a lot of painstaking work. It hurts the most from wrist down after you are done ;-)
    For the swirl removals, I highly recommend doing it at night inside the garage as you can see the swirls better that way, under yellow light.
    If your 911 is light colored, I'd say don't bother yourself.
    But it is well worth it if the car is dark colored ( I am not sure if it is an ocean seal or a harbor seal you got there ;-) ). One word of caution though: It gets addictive looking at the finish for the first time and then you really wanna shoot for the best possible effect from that point on ;-)
    Feel free to post any questions. You can find plenty of info on their website Zainostore - one word.
    It could be confusing initially trying to understand the steps - There are just too many steps you go thru'. But the distributor was very helpful and extremely knowledgeble. I have heard nothing but good words about the customer support - teh gentleman who invented it markets it directly.
    Good Luck and Cheers!!
    --njexpress
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    I find the product is great on my red, dark blue and even light blue vehicles for shine. However, what really has me using the Zaino is the longevity of the protection. The winters here in NY really punish a finish and I find that if I do a good Zaino in the last of the 40 degree weather I am usually good til spring.

The great finish is almost a side benefit to me.

JR
    Folks,
    Anyone have custom seat covers for your S? I looked up WetOkoleHawaii.Com and I am also trying to do aditional research to see if there is anything else. More so since, the covers they offer do not expose the "Helmet Hole" headrest. I have some decent looking seat covers on my S from the original Owner - They are Type-S brand, Nylon, black with Red ribbed inner panelling - It only looks half way decent as the original seat and it is such an injustice to not expose the contours of teh original buckets!! I am curious to see if anyone has anything better, while preserving the original look of the seat (Not the sparco jet fighter kind..)
    Cheers!!--njexpress
  • justin12justin12 Member Posts: 23
    Anyone have experience with the S2000 in snow? What's it like?
    As much as I love my S2K, I would rather not be driving it in the snow! My first ever long (as in 90 miles round trip) test drive from the dealer was something I will remember to my last day - It had snowed 10 inches the previous night and as much as the main roads were clear, I was cursing every single moment I was driving the back roads. At one point, I fishtailed and got the wheels buried in, driving into a gas station and it took 20 minutes of shovelling by myself and the dealership's rep (riding with me to my mechanic and then to my bank to get the check), followed by moving the vehicle out in 3rd gear (eventually..) to avoid excessive revs. Bottom line from my personal experience: Snow is a no-no for the S!!
    Good Luck and Cheers!!
    --njexpress
    It looks like from some of your other posts you are also considering a BMw 325ix and A4 Quatro.

I'd agree with njexpress, the S2000 and snow don't mix. Not to mention heavy rain in cold weather. You can mitigate that somewhat by getting winter wheels and tires, but it's still going to fall far short of an AWD sedan.

If you can swing two cars, an S2000 and something like my old 1995 FWD Nissan Maxima SE would make a great combination. The S2000 drives and feels like no other car under $50k+ on dry pavement with the top down. But if you are limited to one car and anticipate seeing a fair amount of snow, I think the BMW or Audi is a better choice. They won't be as much fun to drive as the S2000, but they won't leave you stranded in 3" of snow.
  • jatdeejatdee Member Posts: 19
    I know the S2k has a limited slip differential, but, given that, I completely don't understand what is going on with my 2004. I have to enter my driveway at an angle because it is a little steep and the street dips down for drainage purposes. A couple of times there seemed to be some wheel spin as I went up the driveway (pretty slowly). I then went very slowly to try to see what was happening and at a certain point the car would not move forward! The engine was revving and I wasn't moving. My first thought was that I was high-centered on something and was burning up the clutch. When I got out and checked I had plenty of clearance. I then noticed that the right rear wheel was slightly off the ground - maybe half or three quarters of an inch between the tire and the pavement. I then got someone to watch - when I engaged the clutch the tire off the pavement would spin with the other tire apparently getting no power. I thought that was impossible with a limited slip diff. The tire with the most traction is supposed to get the power. Can anybody explain to me what is happening?
    Apparently it is normal when one rear wheel has zero traction then the other gets no power. Per S2K site the diff is a torsen diff that multiplies the torque going to the wheel with the most traction: if one wheel has 50% traction the other gets twice the torque, up to a total of three times more torque. But if the other wheel has zero traction, then three times zero is zero, so the diff does not transfer any torque, or something like that. Learn something new all the time.
    Ramses1, You're right - a brisk drive in the S2000 does lift the spirits (2004 black/black). Its not a cure, of course, but getting involved in the driving and the car - and one can get really involved in driving this car - does take you away from everything else and give a boost that can carry over for a while, or get you to a point where you can keep from falling back, maybe for the rest of the day. I think it is working for me today.
  • rockyprockyp Member Posts: 6
    I just "inherited" a 2000 S2000. Can anyone give me any advice on what to look out for or what kind of maintenance I need to perform on it before I drive it?

Also, where can I get a new soft top? And can I get one with the glass rear window for a 2000?
    I'm no expert, but that explanation as to why a non-spinning wheel gets no power transfer sounds a bit like vodoo engineering or an ubran legend. Perhaps left over from the "Year 2000" crisis.

In all RWD or AWD traction control systems I am aware of, the torque is transferred from the spinning wheel with no traction to the other(s) that have traction. In a RWD, if one wheel is getting no traction, the wheel that has traction gets 100% (vs. 50%) of the power. It is "additive". There is no "multiplication" algorithm that blows up if the spinning wheel has 0 traction. Where the heck do you think all that power is going if neither rear wheel is getting it? To the stereo? Also, think for a moment of how blatently stupid a design for traction control would be if it makes things WORSE when you don't have traction in one wheel? Duh.

On the issue of what was happening in the previous poster's problem of going up a steep driveway, I suspect he induced some clutch slippage. It would happen to me occasionally in my 2002 under hard accleration, exspecially letting the clutch out going uphill. The S2000 has a gearbox that I would rate a 9+ out of 10. But a clutch that I would only rate a 3 or 4 out of 10 for strength.
    The 2000/2001 S2000's were known to have gear grinding, especially in 1-2, 2-3 shifts. Eventually, the transmission would need to be replaced. In 2002, they upgraded and strengthened the transmission. There probably isn't much you can do about this in your inherited car, since it's now nearly 7 years old. The dealer I bought my 2002 from had gotten authorization from Honda to replace 2000/2001 transmissions with the new model if the customers complained and it was still under warranty.

My S2000 got the regular 7,500 mile services and oil changes at 3750 miles while I owned it (2.5 years, 20k miles). I would not take the S2000 to an independent mechanic. Honda service is relatively cheap compared to other brands and the S2000 is a limited production, serious sports car. My Honda dealer had only one service team (out of 4) that exclusively worked on the S2000's, because of the additional training required.

I'm not sure about retrofitting a new 2002+ top to a model year 2000. If you really need a new top for other reasons, start by calling a Honda dealer. But, if you don't need one, I wouldn't do it just to get the glass window. I expect it's a $1,000 to $1,500+ job. I have seen 2000/2001 S2000's advertised in the Washington Post for as much as $18,000+. They have great resale value. Drive your 2000 and if you really like it, you might want to consider selling it and putting the money towards a new or low mileage recent model. I know of someone who got a 2006 new for $29,500 a few months ago. Given the cost of tires, brakes, clutch, timing belt, possible new transmission and other things that you may need to put into a 2000, it might not cost you much more over the next 2-3 years to get a new one. You might want to do the math both ways before replacing your top (if it is optional).

How many miles does it have on it and what is the condition?
    My thoughts were exactly the same as yours, until I got updated info from a forum on s2k.com. S2ks have a Torsen (torque-sensi) limited slip diff. "Unlike most common clutch-type limited slips, it runs off of worm gears capable of transferring power evenly to the rear wheels when necessary, cornering or accelerating in a straight line. It acts lie an open differential while cornering (unless you accerelerate), and sends power to both wheels at any speed or slip condition. Torsen . . . is basically aospen diff until about 2/3s the way through the corner, then is locks the outside wheel to about 40'45%. The torsen action helps prevent a push in super tight corners. The one downside of the Torsen is that if one wheel is conmpletely off the ground (zero traction) then characteristics of the Torsen will make it basically an open diff, both wheels have to have at least some traction for the unit to function properly." There's more, but this should be enough. Seems the purpose of the limited slip in the S2000 is not to make it go through snow, but to improve acceleration and handling. Anyway, I have first hand and observed experience that if one rear wheal is off the ground it will spin and the car won't go.
    For the soft top, try hardtopguy.com. At the moment he has soft tops on sale for 759 bucks. I believe labor is between 1500 and 2000 bucks. And I also believe switching to an 02' with the glass window is OK for your 2000. For reference, you may want to check with the guys from a chapter of s2ki.com. You'll probably get some recommendations for shops and service on your car.

If you want the piece of mind, your 2000 model may be due for a valve adjustment and fluid change (gearbox, rear diff) as well as checking the Belt tensioner pulley...

BTW, that is one heck of an inheritence! :shades:
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    There is blog on S2K about a guy in Houston who took his S2000 car to a dealer for service August 2006 and they wrecked his car and will not own up to their responsibility.

I will never take my S2000 to that dealer for service.

MidCow
  • kwinterkwinter Member Posts: 5
    :) Hi,
    I got a lot of good information from this forum when I was looking to buy a S2000 so thank you!!!! ....

At the same time, though, it almost scared me off of the 2000. I am so glad I bought one. Just wanted to give another opinion from an xTR3 Sports Car fan looking for a sports car again.

Noise....what noise!!! I almost didn't buy one thinking it was way too loud. You can run this car and the noise isn't a problem with top up or down. Radio is great. It is roomy in the trunk. We travel to the shore every weekend and have plenty of room for 2 small bags, laptops, and a few other items. If you are someone who has been trying to figure out which sports car you should buy....this is the one. It drives like a dream, you get good gas mileage, the inside of this car is comfortable....5'7". Great Seats....
    There are a lot of couples out there who always wanted a sports car or had one in their younger days....I loved my TR3. I drove the Nizzan, Miata, and others and I am so glad I decided on the S2000. For anyone who is looking for a great car...this is it! Buy it, you'll love it. We bought a silverstone with black interior. We will most likely store it from November to Spring but we are going to enjoy this car and use it to go to the shore on weekends and not be concerned with saving it. Life is too short, we plan on enjoying it! This is a 50+ driver with no complaints!!!! Thanks Honda for a Great Gift! That's the way we feel!
    Here's a question for you Honda S2000 enthusiasts.

Would you pay $47,000 +/- for a Honda S3000? Specs would be:

- 3.0 liter lightweight V6 with 350 hp / 240 ft lbs of torque; 8,500 rpm redline
    - Upgraded suspension, wheels/tires, brakes to go along with engine.
    -Upgraded clutch. NO friggin SMG/DSG. The current gearbox/shifter is perfect.
    - Slightly more amenities inside (power seats, upgraded stereo, optional nav, but still sticking with the no-nonsense S2000 approach to performance first, do-dads second.
    - Hideaway top with a mechanical boot similar to Boxster / 911. Plus a few tweaks to move the exterior away from Miata and towards Ferrari.

Target performance would be:

0-60 in 4.5 seconds (compare to 5.5+ now, Boxster S at 5.0)
    1/4 mile in under 13.0 (compare to 14.2+ now, Boxster S at 13.5, 911S at 12.5)
    Skidpad @ 1.0+ g
    Retain go-cart like handling, with curb weight of no more than 2,950 lbs.

Although the subject of such a car came up over pizza and beer, it isn't a completely rhetorical question. It was with a business school classmate of mine who sold his company a few years ago and pocketed about $500 million. We speculated that with a couple thousand pre-orders in hand, we could underwrite a deal with Honda to get them to custom produce such a vehicle, in a limited production run of, say 4-5,000 units. It could be the swan song of the S2000.

Any takers? And no, there won't be any rebates, invoice pricing or anything like that. I realize that the high $40's price is a hefty premium over the current S2000, but the car would handily exceed the former NSX in perfomance and be a big notch up from a $60,000 Boxster S. The BMW M Roadster might as well stop production.
  • jkgreer2jkgreer2 Member Posts: 42
    One taker if skidpad performance is attained, car has useable low end torque + 8k RPM, has hideaway hard-top (requires lengthening rear 1/3 of car), and generally hand-made at Japan factory (for their relentless efforts toward defect-free assembly). Would be a great convertible and positioned between BMW Z4, Boxster, Vette, and new NSX (if ever released). Does Honda listen to current and prior owners of S2000s? Good luck and best regards. JKG
    Yes, to everything except the HT. And I appreciate the "no frills" approach with the current car so I'd even go so far as to leave the NAVI out of the options list. Retain the tossability and nimble attitude of the current car (50/50) and it'll be a winner.

I think I'd opt for the turbo-4 from the RDX rather than the say, a J30 but that's just because I like to work for the power, a V6 may be "too easy" to drive... :P

But sign me up if it ever came to fruition. :)
    Thanks for the feedback.

I'd absolutely require it be made at the current plant in Japan - the fit and finish on my 2002 model was exceptional.

On the hdeaway top / mechanical boot, that's not a big deal, but was one of my personal aesthetic issues with the S2000. It looked nice with the top down and the (hand installed) boot on, but I didn't go through that pain in the rear installation process more than 3-4 times in my 2.5 years. I actually forgot to put the boot in the trunk when I traded in the car and nobody noticed.

I think the high revving V-6 would be the best of both worlds - enough low end torque to be easy to drive around town, but a free-revving 8,500+ rpm redline to reward those who like to "work" for power and performance. I'm not throwing out the things that endeared me to my old S2000, just pumping them up a bit.

O.K., only 3,996 sales to go....
    My opinion X 3,996 then... :) J/K

Come on everyone, put your votes in! :D
  • dbustodbusto Member Posts: 2
    does anyone know about this treatment? since auto car washes are no good, i've been thinking about getting it for my S2000. Any feedback? Thanks.
  • knifeedge_2k1knifeedge_2k1 Member Posts: 15
    although i do not have an s2000 i know of a simple little trick you can do in this situation (this works with any diff but torsen and open diffs benefit more from this technique) in a situation where you're stuck with one or more tyres with no traction (in the air, on slick ice) and the power is all being directed to that wheel, just lightly apply the brakes so that there's something that tyre has to "fight" against to rotate, this "fools" the diffs into thinking that tyre has grip and redirects power to those wheels which actually have grip allowing you to free urself from wherever you're stuck from

this wont work if all your wheels are stuck or if the wheels which arnt stuck have barely any traction at all (like in winter through 5 inches of snow)

and to clarify a torsen differential uses worm gears which can vary the amount of torque between each output side, the gear ratios used will determine the maximum torque split for example a system that can split up the torque to a maximum ratio of 1:10 means the one side can recieve 10 times the torque of the other side, but if one side has no traction at all, and thus cannot put any torque down, neither will the opposing side

an open differential is always 1:1, meaning both sides recieve the same amount of torque, clutch based LSDs have self locking capabilities and WOULD be able to put power down even when an axle has no grip whatsoever, this is because the clutches within the differential litteraly lock up both output axles

given the choice i will still take the s2000 style torsen diff because it requires very little maintenence while clutch type LSDs need to be overhauled if you exploit them too much
    I would not! The current S2000 is pretty close to perfect. A bigger engine would make it heavier and impact the handling for only a modest performance gain.

MidCow
    2006 S2000
  • cloned_2_deathcloned_2_death Member Posts: 22
    Here's a question for you Honda S2000 enthusiasts.

Would you pay $47,000 +/- for a Honda S3000? Specs would be: [SNIP]

Sorry, but the S2000 is almost perfect as-is and I think you'd lose the flavor of the car with your proposed mods. I paid only $30,000 for a new 2006 S2000 this Spring and when the end of the line REALLY arrives, I'll probably buy another and put it in storage. It's the kind of car that defines the word "classic". Besides the Porsche 911 and Ford GT40, I know of no other current production cars that I'd consider worthy of putting away for my own future use.

What I would pay extra for (another $5000 or so) is the S2XXX:

- Upgraded clutch worthy of what is probably the best shifter seen in ANY current production car.
    - Further reinforcing of engine block to allow the return of that 9000 RPM redline.

In the meantime I'll remain content, knowing I'm driving a vehicle that gives me 95% of the driving thrills of Porsche's best vehicles at around 1/4 the cost, yet is reliable, gets good fuel economy, has a surprisingly roomy trunk and is driven by some of the smartest, best looking people in the world ;) ...
    mdinightcowboy and clonedtodeath:

Thanks for your replies. It is hard to argue that the current S2000 isn't flirting with perfection - at least at the performance levels and price point it is at. I did prefer my 9,000 rpm 2.0 liter 2002 model to the current 2.2 liter version, but not by much.

It looks like the S3000 won't become my pet project. Not if I have to buy 4,995 of the 5,000 limited production run myself, anyway. But I do think the S3000 could be done in a way to keep the positives of the S2000, but elevating performance to the level approaching the former Ferrari 360. At which time, I'd probably be asking, Honda S4000 anyone?

Enjoy your S2000's. :)
  • flydrinksleepflydrinksleep Member Posts: 2
    As much as I love my Hondas, if the S3000 approached $50K, I would definitely throw in the extra bucks and get the incomparable Boxster S.
    Part of the magic of my '06 S2000 is that I drive it around thinking about how much smarter (and better looking) I am paying $399/mo for amazing performance, than all the poseurs driving their expensive German sport cars paying out their noses for the marque.
    Does anyone know which the air intake is enclosed in a box then baffled so that air only comes in a top oval opening.

It seems like it would be very easy to increase the air flow by removing the baffle or opening up the baffle box all together.

Any comments? /Opinions?

Thanks,

MidCow
  • crateruscraterus Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone I have basically made up my mind that I want to lease a 2006 S2000 in a couple of months but have a few questions for some of you more experienced fellows out there.

First of all, I am 22 and have been driving for 5 years. The only car I have owned is a 1993 mazda mx3. I don't know much about cars nor do I have much experience with driving a car that is as intense and serious as the s2000. However, I am willing to learn. The question is; is the s2000 a good place to start? This may be an odd question because it seems that most of you who have already driven or own this car are experienced enthusiasts. I know what I want; I want a fast, powerful car that is insanely fun to drive and involves skill on the drivers part to utilize the cars potential power. I don't care about the storage capacity, how many people it can seat, or the "dated" (which its not, I think it looks awesome) interior. I just want a fun, driver oriented car. I plan on leasing one for 3-4 years. I only recently developed a passion for cars and plan on using the s2000 to "break me in." Plus I'm going to take an auto mechanics/technology class at my college this coming winter to learn a thing or two about cars (as of now, I am very ignorant). So the bottom line: is the s2000 a good choice for a performance driving neophyte such as myself? Any tips on how I can get acquainted with the car and become a competant driver capable of unleashing the cars potential? Thanks for your time, I appreciate any feedback.
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    Any car can be fun to explore and drive 'at the limit', but it sounds like you are in the right ballpark for your goals. I strongly suggest you join a local car club for your model that hosts auto-cross events. It's the only safe way for you to test the limits of your car and yourself.

Have fun.
    "I am 22 and have been driving for 5 years" ==> Yes, Perfect - As long as you do not live in NJ, you will get a decent rate on insurance.
    As to planning to break yourself in, you will find that you will not want to part with it ever, unlesss of course, you decide to move on for an Elise or a Boxster-S or upward.
    You really don't need to study automobile engineering to realize that this is arguably one of the best cars ever built, after some five hours of seat time ;-)
    As to aquainting yourself - Just take your time and stay mature in the process of orienting yourself with the S. It could be a whiner on torque and it will take some work to get it upto highway speeds unless you are VTEC-ing it everytime. You will initially have those kids with souped up civics with BMW grilles beating you up at the stop lights and giving you dumb grins - They all grin because they have won the lottery of their lives and they can't beleive their luck :confuse: ...
    Little do they realize that all you have to do is - At the sight of green light, just push it upto 30 MPH on first gear, shift hard and fast into second, VTEC it again and stay there below the redline until you hit 55, shift to 3rd, stay on VTEC and you have them two lights behind with their jaws on their knees. :P It sure feels good but, after a couple of those mistreatments of my baby, I grew tired of it. ( I mean, for who and for what, and most importantly, WITH what???)
    When you are at the point where you realize that each drive is an experience like no other - Consider yourself fully aquainted with the S. If you are not already comfortable doing your heel-toe downshifts, practice them now as this car is best enjoyed in the twisties where you find yourself wanting to dive faster AND faster into and out of curves and that the car dares you to go even faster!!
    One last thing: Final words from that uncle character to SpiderMan- II always go thru' my mind when I really start to enjoy my ride on open highways :) , buzzing past the rest of the traffic at 98 MPH with the wind howling like banshees havin' a banquet: "With great power, comes even greater responsibility."
    It is so easy to forget how powerful you are with this car so, If I were you, I would always remember that.
    Welcome to S2K nation!!!
    Cheers!!
    --njexpress.
  • tametigertametiger Member Posts: 3
    This would be my first sports car. I have lots of questions, but I will submit just a couple for now. I live in Phoenix (no snow) and the cost of a S2000 will be on the outer limits of affordability for me. My question is whether it is realistic to think I can use the S2000 as my primary vehicle — for commuting to work, etc? How many S2000 owners use it as a primary vehicle? I would be trading in my 2004 Honda EX 5-speed with 37K miles on it. Keeping affordability in mind, would it be better to trade for an '06 or an '07? I am also considering leasing, but the discussions on the S2000 maintaining its value after the model is discontinued have me thinking that owning might be the better way to go. What about lease options with the option to own after the term. Any input for someone who is looking to buy his first s2000 will be appreciated. Thanks!
  • eliyaleeliyale Member Posts: 13
    I've had my S2000 for about six months now, and it is my only vehicle. It works just fine for me, but you definitely should analyze your lifestyle to make certain that you can deal with the limitations.

Of course, the lack of cargo space could be a problem if you regularly need to haul large packages, but the trunk certainly will hold a full supply of groceries, a weekend suitcase, or two or three small-medium sized boxes. There's room for you and one passenger, of course, so you should also think about that.

The ride quality is really comfortable considering it's a sports car. It never crashes over bumps or bottoms out, so in terms of ride, it makes for a fine commuter car. The car is noisy, so long drives (more than 3 hours) could be uncomfortable. In most circumstances, however, it is no problem. I actually like the noise. It maintains the "raw" feel that I like.

If you're concerned about affordability, I'd go for the 2006. From what I understand, there are no significant upgrades from 06 to 07. As far as lease options, I really don't know much about that. I prefer traditional financing. That way, I can drive as much as I want without worrying about mileage charges.

One additional thing to think about is operating costs. It has good fuel economy (23-26 mpg), but it uses premium gas. The car also eats tires much more rapidly than the typical car. Expect to have to change at least your rears every 10-15K miles. Your insurance costs will also go up since it is a sports car.

Overall, it is a fantastic car, and I love it. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. It's a purchase you definitely will not regret. Just be sure you go into it aware of the limitations and ready to make the necessary compromises.
    The 2006 or newer with the VSA is execellent. No changes scheduled for 2007 that I have heard of. The car would be pretty ideal in Phoenix, except it will get too hot with the top down. I drve in Texas with the top down with A?C on high and it is conforatble at 90 degrees and below and bearable up to95. However, isn't Phoenix much hotter in the summer/

I get a lot worse gas milage (around 20 , best tank 21, some highway and some city and lots of VTEC) and mybe it is becuase I put on Indvidia exhaust which is much louder than stock. Also good investment Rick's Voodoo shift knob $35 screws down lower by 1/2 inch than stock. worst accesory is cargo net; absolutley worthless. drink cup holder is pretty bad too but hey who needs to drink and drive a sports car. My insurance cost went up bu not bad lessthan $1000 a year for very high level of coverage; but I am old and have other cars.

Excellent car!

MidCow
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    If you're going to drive this car to/from work everyday in Phoenix traffic, you might want to think about it a little longer. The S2000 is a great car--once the engine starts spinning above 3000 rpm or so and when the temperature is less than 90. You'll hate it in stop and go traffic--especially with the top up. You will absolutely bake if you leave the top down during the day in June through September. I drove my Audi TT, C6 Corvette and BMW 330 convertibles in AZ with the top up except for EARLY morning and in the evening. If you buy it, get yourself lots of sunscreen and a big bottle of Motrin (to ease the pain from all the shifting you'll be doing).

That said, you'll love taking the S2000 up through the twisties on your way up to Sedona (but pack light).
  • tametigertametiger Member Posts: 3
    My work comute is on the freeway, where there is no stop and go. I expect to drive with the top up in the summer months in Phoenix, of course. Does the rag top provide enough insulation to allow for adequate cooling using the air conditioner? The small compartment should make cooling (and heating) easier, I would think.

My decision to buy this car hinges primarily on the affordability question. Maintenance costs, such as tire wear mentioned previously, and gas costs, as well as the initial cost of the car are factors going into my decision. By the way, I can't understand why tires should wear faster than any other car, as long as you aren't "burning rubber" every time the light turns green.

Perhaps when considering purchase of this type of car the old adage applies "If you have to ask, you can't afford it."
    Newbie: Only one comment: the S2000 is a great car, but you have to treat it with respect and learn its characteristics. It has the power to easily break the rear end loose in a curve and you can switch ends in a hurry if you get on the gas too much. To consider buying: I live in Texas and find the AC works well - cools off interior reasonably quickly even in those few times I have parked outside in the sun for a long period of time. Tires will wear faster because they have a soft compound to increase their grip. You could get longer lasting, harder, replacement tires, but I would do so with great caution if you do any aggressive (fun) driving.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,772
    Ditto on the soft rubber... Also, the camber on many sports cars is set up aggressively to help with turn-in response, etc... This causes the tires to wear a little unevenly, and even wear more while you are driving straight down the freeway..

It seems that maintenance costs are a significant factor for you... I think if the majority of your driving is going to be freeway commuting, and cost is a concern... then the S2000 is probably not the right car for you.. no matter how great it actually might be.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    I can't honestly comment on the AC system because I chose the BMW over the S2000. However, you will probably notice the noise with the top up or down--it seemed thin to me when I test drove it. If you're really concerned about maintenance costs, why not consider a certified used Audi TT or BMW Z4? Both come with free maintenance and are fun cars.
    jatjee said:
    " It has the power to easily break the rear end loose in a curve and you can switch ends in a hurry if you get on the gas too much. "

Actually with VSA , 2006 and newer this is mno longer true.