Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tfuzztfuzz Member Posts: 93
    polartoy,

I agree about the windshield problem. Besides the sudden crack which appeared this week I got a chip (in a different location) before getting the truck home from the dealer and many very small pits. The windshield seems to pit extremely easily. I had the same experience with a Subaru Forester. OTOH, I had two windows break in a Chrysler minivan for no reason--one rear window while driving down the street and one of the rear side windows exploded while parked in the garage one Easter morning. I just seem to have bad luck with glass. I carry a high comprehensive deductible, but am thinking about lowering it to help pay for auto glass.

Fortunately we don't have much of a stink problem so far (just turned 30,000 miles). I have smelled it a few times when driving hard, but it was pretty minor. Guess we have been lucky in that regard.

Overall, I really like the truck. I have never had a vehicle that I didn't have a few complaints about. The 4Runner and a Honda Accord I once had are about the best vehicles I have owned.
  • 2walker2walker Member Posts: 9
    Sorry guys, I gots ta vent. This is coming from a forgiving and patient sort of person having survived the Saturn ownership experience for 8+ years with creaks, rattles, and cheap plastic parts poorly assembled. I bought a Toyota, renown for its build quality and long life. I’m doubting both of those qualities in my new vehicle. I must admit, I love the ride of this truck, both on pavement and off. (It has seen all of 20 miles off road, mostly graded dirt) It has a quiet ride, comfortable seats, feels solid and looks sharp. Heck, the dog loves it and it is the perfect sized vehicle for my lifestyle. BUT, that being said, here’s my chronological list of complaints about my 2003 SR5 V6 at 7800 miles:

Squeaking “belt noise” (cold engine) at 700 miles
    (diagnosed and 'fixed' by dealership with new belt tensioner and belt at 2000 miles)
    Squeaking “belt noise” (cold engine) returned at 2500 miles
    (Dealership didn’t acknowledge problem, seemed like new belt wearing in was the culprit so I let it go – “belt noise” went away by 3500 miles – woo hoo, problem ‘solved’ w/o doing anything)
    Fuel pulsation dampener recall at about 3000 miles
    Faint headliner rattles started at about 4000 miles, have gotten worse over time
    Gutter trim coming loose above front doors at about 4000 miles.
    (dealership glued the rubber back down very poorly and it is now permanently protruding, though protruding less – the thing is supposed to snap in place, not be glued almost in place)
    Suspension squeaks starting at about 4500 miles (ie 5-10 mph going over speed bumps – front shocks?)
    Moonroof rattles starting about 5500 miles. Rattles loud enough now I can’t tell how bad the headliner rattle is.
    Ventilation system seems to leak starting at about 7500 miles (it will allow hot air through vents when the system is off – seems to remember the temperature setting prior to being shut off. For example if I manually set it at 82° with the fan on any setting, then turn the fan off, air at the same hot temperature continuously comes out the vents even if it is 60° outside). Maybe I’m missing something about how it is supposed to operate. I would think if it let air through under these conditions, it would be ambient.
    Squeaking belt noise (cold engine) has returned (cold weather related?) at 7800 miles.
    All along I have heard the ticking sound folk here have mentioned, however, I only hear it if I listen for it. It is not that bad in my book. Saturn had timing chain as well – maybe I’m used to it.

I’m not saying this truck is a piece of garbage or a lemon - yet. These problems are annoyances, but they are adding up, not making the ownership experience what I had wanted/expected, and I had hoped to avoid such things by steering clear of GM, Yugo, Daiwoo, and Hyundai.

I’m wondering if any of you can recommend a dealership in the north Los Angeles area that will take my concerns seriously. Hamer Toyota doesn’t seem to care about the “minor nuisances” I’ve brought to their attention – I’ve given three different service teams a chance to prove their mettle. Meanwhile, I’ll go back and read up on how some of you have dealt with these issues.

If you have new thoughts, I’d be happy to hear them - particularly with the ventilation system.

I’m taking it to a dealer (Frontier in Valencia?) in a few weeks for it’s 10000 mile oil change/tune up and plan to bombard them with this list. I want stuff fixed and fixed right. I still plan to own this truck for a long time, but if I can’t get this stuff cleared up or if the list continues to grow I won’t be afraid to ditch it. Sure, I’m a picky new car owner, but for $28+k, I feel entitled to a vehicle that is not falling apart within 7 months and well in advance of 10000 miles. That’s what I got (and was prepared for) with the Saturn. If I wanted these issues I’d have bought a VUE for $8k less.

My apologies for the length of this post, thanks for help/suggestions y'all have

2Walker
    (initially this login name was a pun on my conservative driving habits and 2 wheel drive SUV... now it seems accurate for how it works!)
  • lpm141lpm141 Member Posts: 14
    Any recommendation for the best Toyota service department for the San Antonio area?
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    The ventilation system on my 2000 LTD does the very same thing. It must be inherent with Toyota's.
  • lukeglukeg Member Posts: 32
    My 04 4runner v8 sport 4x4 is getting vibrations in the steering wheel and pedals when RPMs between 1800-2000 at various speeds. I went to the dealer and they said that they drove other new v8 and all of those do the same "drove other 2004 4runners all felt the same, no problem found". Anyone with similar problem or with suggestions?

Also, I have 3 second vibration in break pedal when breaking which goes away. The solution offered on this board was to replace the booster. I went two dealers and all of them said that this is normal and 2nd one told me that "vehicle equipped with power assist brakes not break booster system, normal operation no problem found"

Does anyone have any recommendations or solutions.
  • gutiguti Member Posts: 10
    Polartoy,

I have special-ordered a 2004 4Runner V8 Limited, which should be getting here in 2-3 months. With respect to the sulphur smell, it seems to bother different owners very differently, or maybe it occurs in varying degrees depending on the specific vehicle.

In your case, it seems like your 4Runner does have the smell, but it doesn't bother you too much. At least not enough to make you have a bad overall opinion of the truck. Would you please let me know whether the smell is something to worry much about? How frequently does it happen? Does it happen only when you rev up the engine to an extreme, only when the car is stopped, etc?

My only experience with the smell was while test-driven a 2003 model and really flooring it. Soon thereafter, while stopped at a light, I noticed the strong smell, and it went away as soon as I got the car moving again. I test drove the car 4-5 other times, and noticed no smell.

Thanks a lot in advance.
  • mfjarvind69mfjarvind69 Member Posts: 14
    Hello Meemo. It is strange, but just today I went to the dealer with almost the problem you describe. I hear this rattle from the front passenger door at lower speeds over cracked pavement. Dealer already put a lot of packing inside the door, but the problem persists. Anyone with idea on this ?
  • mfjarvind69mfjarvind69 Member Posts: 14
    Did the fix for the back seat work? I thought I heard a rattle distinctly from the from passenger seat area. Please let me know if this probel is fixed as I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow and need to get some input on this.
  • polartoypolartoy Member Posts: 18
    You will enjoy your new Ltd 4 runner. It is the best driving 4x4 I have ever had. Excellent feel both on highway and off. The 4 wheel drive system is outstanding in traction in all conditions and totally silent. No a hint of gear whine, even in low gear. I would have to rate the 4 wheel drive system the best I have come across ( had 9 -4x4's last 15 years )The engine and transmission are matched perfectly. Slight sensitivity to cross wind buffeting only complaint. The sulfur smell was bothersome in the beginning. Only occurs in city driving, under modestly hard acceleration,even with windows closed. Never happens on highway, no matter how hard I drive. Disappears quickly. It happens noticeable less often with high octane fuels which I now only use. Also probably it is also happening less often with higher mileage. Dont keep it from buying the vehicle. It has many minor quirky problems and designs which will have to be improved upon but nothing serious. You should enjoy you new 4 runner, it is fun to drive. Cheers
  • deloiddeloid Member Posts: 18
    Someone mentioned a recall for the 2003 model suspension....can't find a thing about it in my internet search. Is this not a 2003 problem.

I also want to note that my vehicle vibrates at around 1600RPM at any speed or gear. Most noticable when going up a hill at 30 MPH (since gear doesn't change).

Anyone else notice the same?

Dean
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    The only recall that I heard about was for a portion of the 2003 models with the rear air suspension. If you have a 2003 with rear air suspension, your truck might be affected by it. If you do not have the rear air suspension, then your truck is not affected by the recall.
  • sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    I washed, used the shop vac and generally cleaned my Runner inside and out this weekend. On the instrument panel glass I used compressed air and a soft, clean cotton shop towel to wipe down the gauges. Well, in sunlight today, I noticed hairline, small scratches in the plexiglass used to cover the speedo, tach and gas/temp gauges. Irritating, after I spent and went through so much delicate trouble to not scratch the glass. I have read other posters who have scratched their glass. Any remedy other than replacement?
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    mfjarvind69, I think you are talking about an issue that has appeared here (this thread, I think) before. Someone suggested wrapping a layer or two of tape around the metal hoop that works with the latch in the right rear seat back to lock the seat upright. Wrapping a bit of tape on the front part of this hoop fixed the problem for me just fine. The latch will probably scrape this tape off eventually, but it should be no trouble to reapply. Just 1 or two wraps with vinyl electrical tape worked for me. More wraps than that might interfere with proper latching.
  • oscarz2oscarz2 Member Posts: 153
    I wrapped a little masking tape around the front of the hoop and haven't heard the rattle since.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Mine scratched too & I used a feather duster. I remember seeing previous posters complaining about the same thing. The interior has stained & marred a lot easier in 2 months than my '97 Blazer did in 6 years. While off-roading I've already permanently scraped the surface of a door panel just from items moving around & rubbing, & dirt sets very easily in the upholstery (mine is silver/gray). Guess we gotta live with it, although I hope my interior isn't trashed in 6 years due to inferior materials.
  • gutiguti Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. I am trading in a gorgeous Lexus GS 300, which has been a pleasure to drive for the last five years. I am now looking forward to a very different off-road truck experience. I think I will enjoy it.
    canddmeyer: A feather duster! You would think Toyota truck glass would be tougher wouldn't you? My only other interior concern is the headliner. It is made out of a moleskin/cloth type material. Very easily scratched, scuffed and stained. I would have preferred the nice, soft textural feel of the vinyl/plastic used in the dash as a headliner, very easy to clean and protect. But I am sure cost, weight and sound proofing were in the current headliners favor.
  • mtnrunnermtnrunner Member Posts: 1
    On my 04 LTD V8 w/ NAV I've noticed a rattle when going over washboard roads coming from the rear right.

I sat in the rear area while a buddy drove up and down a washboard road last night and eliminated what I thought it was: The dbl deck, tire jack, cargo cover and now it appears it’s actually in the rear hatch door on the left side. Seems the electric-rear-hatch-easy-opening system is not pulling the hatch in tight enough on the left side.

Has anyone else heard this?

Is the “tightness” or travel of the rear hatch adjustable?

Any and all advise very much appreciated...

Thanks!
    sorry, mine is quiet
    mtnrunner, the door is adjustable in a couple of different ways. The latch strike plate in the floor can be moved a little to change how tight the door latches. The angular position of the door can be adjusted by loosening the hinges.

It might be pretty simple to try slight adjustement of the strike plate, but I suspect it would be tricky to loosen the bolts and adjust the hinges. I'd be inclined to have a reputable dealer attempt a warranty repair/adjustment.
  • loudog2loudog2 Member Posts: 83
    Is there anything you can do to protect your windshield from chips? After reading the message board, everytime a rock hits my windshield I'm looking for chips or cracks. It has not happened a lot. One hit the other day. It looks like I got a small scratch or chip. I know there is clear films and stuff for your headlights, but is there anything you can do for your windshield, besides crossing your fingers ever time a rock hits it?
  • rkymtnhghrkymtnhgh Member Posts: 14
    Has anyone experienced a problem with engine startup hesitation first thing in the morning? I have the a late production 2003 SR5 V6 and it seems to take a little longer than necessary to crank up after it has been sitting all night. Then this morning it took at least 4 seconds for the engine to crank over and the weather wasn't even cold.
  • cmajcmaj Member Posts: 4
    When travelling over a small bump at slow speeds, I notice a clear sounding "clank" or metal on metal rattle. It sounds almost as if it could be the towing hitch attachment. Not sure if it is coming from outside or inside the vehicle. Again, this is a heavy metallic sounding "clank" (for lack of a better term) that seems to originate from some type of metal objects jarring against each other (I do not believe that it is the rear seat latches). Can someone please comment or provide a best guess?
  • nmf51nmf51 Member Posts: 2
    Sound most likely comes from right rear seat latch. Try taping the latch with electrical tape
  • nmf51nmf51 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 03 LTD with a V8. Not all the time, but fairly regularly, I notice that after coming to a stop, when I take my foot off the brake pedal and before I put it on the gas pedal, I feel a slight thud which kind of feels like the drive shaft engaging. Once I feel this and start moving, everything is fine. Has anyone noticed this condition, is this normal of characteristic of the 03 V8s?
    cmaj, in addition to checking the right rear seat back, you might also check your jack etc. in the compartment in the left rear. Also be sure the knobs securing the roof rack cross bars are all tight. Also also, make sure the spare tire is cranked up tight.

nmf51, you might need to lube your driveline. There are many posts about thuds and thunks in the "Toyota 4WD Systems Explained" thread, and some good explanations/remedies.
    Early on, I had a rattle from right rear and it sounded like it was coming from the right-rear seat latch area. It was and they lubed it. That worked for about 2 days so I used tape and haven't heard it since.

Later, I began hearing a heavy-metal clunking from what I thought was outside the vehicle (left-rear), like maybe spare tire area, or suspension. Turns out it was the left rear seat latch and they lubed it and that fixed it. I will tape it soon because I'm sure the lube won't do the trick for long.
    Anyone having vibration problems? Mine are still present, mainly in the steering wheel. Starts about 20mph. Wheels balanced 4 times and rims are getting scratched. Dealers no help.

Also, when truck is at idle, motor makes a throb/bounce type vibration about every 5 seconds. Anyone know what that is? If I sit still, I can feel it bounce the whole truck a little.
    The dealer? You might want to try a good tire shop with a Hunter balancing machine. Also have them check for bent rims and out-of-round tires.
  • coolpop36coolpop36 Member Posts: 65
    The Hunter 9700 is a must. On my previous 4Runner, there was vibration from day one. I spent 6 hours at the dealer the next week, and they actually made it worse. Nobody could figure out what the problem was.

After visiting 3 other tire stores and spending way too much $$$, I decided to bring it to a Toyota dealer that is literally 1/5th of a mile from my office (didn't buy the truck there bc the sales dept. is full of idiots). The service guys were great, very helpful, and they suggested that they try their new Hunter 9700 to diagnose the problem. Immediately, the machine found 2 slightly warped wheels. They ordered 2 for me under warranty. Problem solved.

I will never again have my tires balanced by any other machine.
    Each time, a GSP9700 was used w/adaptor. 2 toyota dealers and discount tire. Toyota finds nothing defective and discount tire says tires are within specs. They said at last visit the road force variation was less than 15lbs on all wheels.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    I have that same thud once in a while while releasing the brake pedal. It doesn't happen often and I thought is was actually the brake caliper releasing from the rotor. I don't see it as a problem unless it gets worse. I really feel it more that hear it. I have the V6 engine.
    I am having in my 4Runner (2004 4x4 Sport v8) light vibrations in steering wheel and pedals (floor) at various RPMs. Most noticeable when driving at a steady speed around 30mph. RPM affected is between 1800-2000. I have also noticed at higher RPM. 1800-2000 vibrations happens at various speeds of the car as long rpm is in that range. The most noticeable when going up to hill with rpms in that level.
    Any advice as I took the vehicle to two different dealers and they say that this is normal, all new 4Runners do that. Because rpm falls in that level in most driving situation, I find this very enoying.
    Normal? I don't know about that. I test drove 3 different vehicles and didn't notice any vibration in any of the models, and each test drive took about 20 minutes over a variety of terrain and speeds.
    Just wondering if you can check if this is happening in your ride:

When vehicle is warm, and your parked at idle, in drive, with foot on brake- rpms at 500 or so... no vibration... put it in neutral and rpms climb a little, then every so many seconds there's a throbbing vibration that bounces the truck some.

I'm just wondering if this might be part of the problem or is it a wheel/tire issue or a combination of the two. I just can't figure this one out and I'm not getting any help from dealers or Rep.

My next step is test drive another 4runner and if it's smooth (I'm sure it will be) try to get them to swap the wheels out briefly (I'll pay for the labor) and see if that eliminates the problem. If it does, I know it's a wheel/tire defect, if it doesn't, obviously the problem is elsewhere but at least some progress will have been made.
  • lheberusalheberusa Member Posts: 6
    I also have the problem with the 4WD engaging.

I purchased the vehicle used (May 31, 2003) and the first time I used the 4WD, I had to call the service department about how to get the flashing wheel lights to stop blinking and to get the 4WD engaged. The lights were blinking for blocks. Well, I got it into 4WD and after that it wasn't bad for that trip. I used it again tonight (3 weeks after the previous experience) and drove for blocks with the flashing 4WD indicator lights flashing. The vehicle has 28,000 miles. Any suggestions?
  • whitney8whitney8 Member Posts: 31
    My expirence is with a '94 4x4 Toyota truck with shift on the fly.
    When shifting into H4, make sure you are driving in a strait line, shift the lever, and then (at the same time) modulate the throttle up and down and it should engage. I belive this loads and unloads the linkages, and allows the gears to engage. It is not necessary to depress the clutch, (if it is a manual).
    Hope this helps,
    Whitney
    bmw323: Have your emergency brake adjusted at the dealer. Mine made that noise, the brakes overall started squeeking. The delaer said the brakes from the factory were not adjusted properly. I would hear a click when I released the e-brake.
    I've been hearing about complaints of rocking/moving driver seats in the 03/04 4Runners. The G35 that I currently own has the same problem, and that is the main reason I'm getting rid of it and buying an 04 4Runner.

Anybody have this problem or have heard of it? I'd hate for this to happen with another vehicle.

Any info is certainly appreciated.
  • 69mach169mach1 Member Posts: 60
    My 03 Sport front driver's seat base is loose and I can feel the seat shift underneath me when I go over a bump. As usual the Toyota dealer says that it's "nornmal".
    I haven't experienced any seat movement at all. It doesn't seem to me that any significant movement at all would be acceptable. There could be a very slight movement from the tabs working in the latches a little, but normal looseness should be very slight.

I would suggest getting a small flashlight and a wrench and looking around for loose bolts or anything else that doesn't seem right. I don't know about the 4Runner specifically, but lots of vehicles suggest periodic re-tightening of seat bolts. I don't know that they're more likely than other bolts in the car to loosen, but the consequences can be serious.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    My drivers seat moves slightly sometimes as well. When I had the truck in for an oil change I asked them to look at it. Without looking they said this was normal because of the seat height adjustment allowing for slight play in the seat cushion. I wouldn't think it should have to be that way, but the movement is very minor and I only feel in occasionally.
    I examined and drove a new 04 2WD V6 today to compare with my 03 regarding the following issues:

1) Loose seat bottom (up & down play).
    2) Vehicle tilt (driver side lower).
    3) Vibrations.
    3) Quirky brake issues.
    4) Engine ticking noise.

The 04 had a loose seat bottom identical to mine, was tilted just like mine, and the ticking noise was the same.

Only thing different was it didn't have the vibrations that mine does and the brakes seemed normal.
    Dealer was no help today. I have a drove a brand new v6 4runner and it also had vibration in steering wheel at various RPM.

My vibration is not from tires. It happens only when RPM is between range 1500-2000. It goes away if you go outside of the range. There is also a slight vibration at this RPM when in N and in full stop.

This sucks as this is a crusing speed with RPM in tha range. Looks like that I need get used to it.

My vibrating breaks were performing perfectly when at dealer this morning (no vibration). I think it is a weather related (first very cold day in year 32 degrees). As soon day warmed up to 44 degrees, the problem came back. Breaks is not a big issue as you only feel it when breaking. RPM vibration is the problem as I feel all the time.

I am not going even start the rotten-egg smell problem....

I am very dissopointed with Toyota. I expected a better quality. Where is the famous 4Runner name.
  • lheberusalheberusa Member Posts: 6
    Regarding my problem with my 2001 4-Runner, the vehicle is an automatic. I had the wheels straight when trying to engage the 4WD. It was already shifted to 4W-High. The dashboard lights were blinking for blocks (10 minutes?).
    I tried everything to try to get the 4WD working. One note, I was on ice at the time I tried to engage the 4WD. (I was parked on ice).
  • rogers12rogers12 Member Posts: 140
    According to the repair manual, being unable to shift into H4 from H2 can be a fault in any one of the following (page TR2 of repair manual volume 2):
    4WD fuse
    Wire harness
    Vehicle speed sensor
    4WD position switch
    4WD indicator light
    Actuator assembly
    A.D.D control system
    4WD control ECU
    Transfer assembly
  • cmajcmaj Member Posts: 4
    Thanks to those who responded to my original message (#128). I had recently utilized my jack kit to repair a flat and after placing the parts back in the vinyl holder, the rods were in contact with each other. I stuffed some small shop towels in the vinyl sleeve before strapping it back in the side compartment. Also stuffed a small towel in the hitch assembly cardboard box which is strapped in on the opposite side compartment. This along with the prior dealer fix for the sunroof and electrical taping of the rear seat latch has resulted in zero rattles over rough surfaces.
  • silverjettasilverjetta Member Posts: 35
    Hi lukeg,

I just bought a V8 SR5 and it also has the same vibration problem. It is subtle enough to overlook easily but annoying enough once you notice it. I thought it came from tires because I can feel it even at neutral and not sensitive to rpm too much as long as the vehicle was moving, but I'm not sure. I hope it'll go away once the care breaks in.
  • nakeddognakeddog Member Posts: 3
    When I'm driving my '92 4 Runner - 6 Cyl., I feel a vibration and noise under the vehicle and seemingly toward the front end. It only occurs when I give power, and if I put it in nutral or put in the cluth the vibration/ noise is gone.

Note: I have over 300,000 kms (190,000 miles).

I was told this is probably a U Joint.

Questions:
    1) 'to the gang out there', is this probably a U Joint?...anything else?

2) What is the approx cost of replacing the U Joint?

3) Is this different form a CV joint?

4) Any other things I should be aware of ???

Signed,
    Vehicle Idiot
  • rogers12rogers12 Member Posts: 140
    Does the vibration occur in 2WD as well as 4WD? If so, it is probably not a front u-joint. If it only occurs in 4WD and not 2WD, then it may be a u-joint (but I have not felt vibration from a worn u-joint, only clunking when intially applying power).

Other possible sources of vibration are a bent or out-of-balance drive shaft, or a stuck yoke spline. There must be other possibilities, but I'm not good enough to think of them.

If the yoke is stuck, it is possble that it only needs to be greased. You should be able to tell if the yoke spline is stuck by jacking up the vehicle after making a mark (not a scratch) on the yoke with a marker. Jacking up the vehicle should move the yoke splines out as the suspension drops. If the yoke doesn't extend or extends suddenly, it may be binding and be the problem. Try filling it with good moly grease (alot is needed to fill the spline), and then drive it for a while. While you're under there, grease everything. :) This might loosen it up if it's the problem or if it's a dry u-joint.

(No, a u-joint is different in design than a CV joint). See:
    http://members.aol.com/carleyware/library/cvjoint1.htm

You can check the drive shaft run-out by removing it and measuring the wobble at the middle in a jig while you rotate it slowly. Usually the max runout is around 0.8 mm (1/32 inch). I guess it is possible for a drive shaft to act as you describe with out-of-spec run-out, but I have not seen that.

Drive shaft imbalance would seem to be unlikely since it would be relatively constant under power and coasting. Also, it is difficult to get out of balance.

I guess the cost of replacing a u-joint is around $200-$300, but it is a WAG. I have never had one replaced to know. Cheap part, mostly labor. A really frozen spline would maybe be $200-$500, depending on the cost of the parts.

I think the most likely problem of the above is a stuck yoke spline, but it is a shot in the dark since I can't ride in the truck and check it out. Could be a u-joint also. Could be a number of things in the front drive system. Could be anything... (disclaimer) :)

Good luck