Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• david49david49 Member Posts: 5
    Can the double-decker system lay flat and/or be removed.Thinking of a 06 limited.
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    The answer, I believe, is both. I have a 2004 SR5, and the system does fold flat when the extra "shelf" is not needed. The fact that this is an option leads me to believe that it can be removed, although I'm not sure why one would want/need to since it folds flat. Hope this helps!
  • rey187rey187 Member Posts: 3
    Any one have any expierience with dimming LCD in their auto climate control or know if you can change the lights it is in a 99 Runner Limited. It is only at night when lights are on so i am assuming it is an illumination light or something. Its only backlight on the screen the lights on the knobs are still bright.

Thanks
  • akrebsakrebs Member Posts: 1
    In the 2005 Limited, the shelf can be flattened and/or removed.
  • sikka50sikka50 Member Posts: 4
    I remember reading several threads about Sulphur smell from 03+ 4runners. There is a TSB out for this smell. Users can find it by going to
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/results.cfm

TSB #04405 (at some sites it is EG044-05)
    NHTSA #10016963

• drex1drex1 Member Posts: 41
    I have been researching a similar problem where my auto climate display is dim on one side. I have yet to tackle this, but according to the manual, you have to remove the AC control panel (removing 2 screws and 4 claws). Once you remove the face of the AC control panel you should be able to change out the bulbs.
  • indio06indio06 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2WD and had the rotors replaced 3 times under warranty and now having the same problem. Should I just sale the car. I can't afford rotors every 5-10,000 miles.
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    If you can afford it ... the answer is YES. Btw, I just purchased a 2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD V8 (5 Speed) Shadow Mica/Stone Leather, after selling my 2005 Camry, and I am loving it, as nothing can compare next to it...

I believe and hope the 2006 4Runner should not have rotor issues (most bugs worked out as it is 4th year production since 2003 model), as I have been doing a lot of research and have not found any issues with the generation of 2003 year model.

I drove other SUVs compact/medium size but nothing can compare to the beast (I call the 4Runner)...

Good luck...
  • linacjsdadlinacjsdad Member Posts: 7
    Hi everyone, I'm a newbie. Great site!!! Has anyone have , or has heard of having EXCESSIVE static shock, 24hrs a day, 365 days a from their runners? Mine does. I haven't measured it yet, but I'm sure it's in the 400k volts + range. IT HURTS!!!!! I've done some research and the only major issue I've come across was a problem that Honda once had with their Accord tires having too much silica content in the tires causing a poor path to ground. Talked to, and called techs at different dealers to see if their was any TSB's on this issue(17yrs spent as Toy tech myself) But none of them has seen or heard of such problems. Would appreciate any input.
    I've tried everything to remedy this issue, including new tires, but no success.
    Thank you in advance,
    linacjsdad.
    OOps!!! Forgot to mention I have a 2003 V8 4WD SR5 4Runner. 3 yrs of ZZZAAAPPPP!!!! hehehe.
    Thank you, linacjsdad.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You might consider getting a pair of rubber grounding strips from an auto parts store. I understand they are effective.

tidester, host
    Thanks tidester,
    Been there, done that. Have them hanging already. Seems to be a tough problem to resolve, especially when others that I know of are not having this issue.
    Thanks. linacjsdad.
    Then there's always metal chains but I'm sure you don't want to go that route!

tidester, host
  • rentschlrentschl Member Posts: 69
    Hi,

I've got a transmission issue on an '03 V8 4Runner where I was on a 3 hour drive where all of a sudden the Xmission would not go into 4th or 5th gear. I had to drive the rest of the way going slow since I didn't want to red line it in 3rd. I went and read the DTC code and got the following:

P0776 "Pressure Control Solenoid B Performance or Stuck Off"

But after the car sat for a little while I drove it again and the problem had gone away, so it's intermittent. Looking at the shop manual, the first thing it says to check is a specific solenoid. It seems plausible that the solenoid that they refer to was simply stuck due to the intermittent nature of the failure.

Checking the solenoid requires dropping the pan on the tranny. But at this point I'm pretty sure that no problem would show up, since the issue went away. I know the problem will come back at the most inconveinient time, so hoping that "it fixed itself" is usually not wise. I'd be inclined to simply replace the solenoid once I bother dropping the tranny pan since messing with tranny fluid and gasket sealer is such a pain.

Before I go to all the trouble though, has anyone else seen this?

I've got 65,000 miles on it already, so I'm out of the warranty. I got a Toyota because I wanted reliability. I'm not that impressed to be seeing issues in the Xmission already. This feels too much like something that would be expected on a Chrysler and not on a Toyota.

Thanks,
    Eric
    You know something, that just might work, I do ride a Harley . At least I'll match!!!! lol. I've been scratching my head on this one for quite sometime, my wife and I are both gun shy when we try to get out of the car, don't want to get shocked. I've asked the EE's here at my work if they have any ideas as to what might some of the causes be. They give me some ideas, but to no success. The car acts like a capacitor. It stores a lot of energy and let's you have it when you leave.
    linacjsdad.
    Hi Eric,
    As I recall, when I used to wrench for the Toyota dealer, we had that same problem in the Camry's a few years back. They did have a TSB out for that. Regardless, Toyota is very good at covering warranty work even after your warranty expires. If the dealer still does not do it out of good will after giving them a little pressure, ask for the Corporate 1-800 number and they should be more than happy to do "Good Will" warranty work. Toyota Corp. grades the dealership heavily on customer survey reports. I've done it many times when I wrenched.
    linacjsdad
    There are several contributing factors to the shocking situation. For example, low carbon tires tend to resist discharging more than others. Low humidity and fabric type (upholstery, clothing) also matter. Another approach you may try is to discharge yourself while exiting by firmly grasping a key (or coin or other convenient metal object) and touching it to something metal like your door frame. The idea is to spread the shock over a larger area but, of course, the downside is that you have to remember to do it!

tidester, host
    Thanks again tidester,
    All have been taken into consideration. I live in sunny Southern California. Of course, I expect to receive my dose of static shock during cold dry winter mornings due to temp. and low humidity, but I still get it just as bad, if not worse during 90 + temp high humidity So. Cal. days. It's a problem 365 days a year. I have done comparison research with other owners of the same vehicle. C
    o-workers and family members. None have the same problem. It's just my runner. Those who drive my vehicle experience the same phenomena. (ZAPPP!!!! CRACK!!!) Really, it's a serious, loud audible POP!!! I work at a Space and Airborne facility at this time, and I have consulted a few engineers regarding this problem. I've also changed out my tires to brand which I've used for years on my other 4 Runners that are not high on silica(more carbon) content. No change. And I've also did the OCD method of exiting the car, like you mentioned. Once you roll your hand, even though you are touching metal. ZAPP!!! Sorry to sound like a whiner, but it's been a problem for 3 yrs, and I still owe, so I really don't want to take a major hit on the loss by trading in the vehicle (poor resale currently on V8 Vehicles). I might just let my old buddies at the dealer have it for a few weeks and see what they can find. Man, I hate to leave my car at the dealer(even though I am a former wrencher there). I'm not sure if they can do anything about it though. I've tried once already. I'm hoping to find someone with the same or similar problem who can give me a permanent effective solution.
    Thanks again, linacjsdad.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    http://www.pei.org/static/

Apparently, the danger is really during fueling. Re-entering the vehicle before the pump shuts off is a no-no. Watch the video.

Seems as though the friction of the passenger against the seat is what results in the charge being established on the person. Holding a metal object and touching it to the frame makes some sense.

I suppose someone might want to try spraying the seats with an anti-static treatment. Perhaps someone might go so far as to wear a wrist strap that is attached to a metal part on the frame of the vehicle. Maybe something could be rigged on the steering wheel to constantly dissapate charge from building up on the body, or design a seat cover that sinks the charge to the frame.
  • robm2robm2 Member Posts: 53
    Call me weird, but I kind of like the shock. I've had it since day 1 on my '04 4Runner V8. It is quite a ZAP! It can be quite entertaining letting the unsuspecting passenger get out first, and then listening for the scream.
    lol. That's really funny!!! I live in So. California, 2 miles from the beach. It gets to be 90+ in temp and somewhat humid too, and I'll still get zapped. Maybe I'll design a soft braided metal seat cover and sell it. Then you won't get zapped but you'll get pricked when the braid frays. hehehe.
    linacjsdad
  • rentschlrentschl Member Posts: 69
    linacjsdad,

Thanks for the reply.

I did check all the current TSBs and there's nothing for anything related to this yet.

The dealer quoted me $718.00 to swap out the solenoid but there would be no guarantee that the solenoid was really the problem. It could be an intermittent open in the wiring or maybe an intermittent issue in the controller.

Their advice was to ignore it and wait for it to become a hard failure; not too re-assuring since Murphy's Law dictates that it WILL fail again. And it will fail again at the worst possible time.

Anyway, I'll try the 800 number and see what they say.

Thanks,
    Eric
  • kcwin1kcwin1 Member Posts: 2
    Toyota owners with paint problems should get together a file a class action lawsuit. How a manufacturer can charge $4000+ more on average than a comparable SUV and not produce a product with a paint job that lasts at least the first year is reprehensible. I've just been denied my arbitration claim. I'm pursuing avenues with the Connecticut Attorney General's Office.
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    what kind of paint problems??
  • ggoinsggoins Member Posts: 57
    Ok so I am ready to buy a new Runner. Anyone out there got opinions about the 6 vs 8 cylinder and the sport vs. limited vs/ SR5. Plan to use the vehicle for travel to and from Alaska as well as high altitude desert..thanks all.
  • robg4robg4 Member Posts: 32
    My SR5 has a v6 and uses all the gas I would want it to. The v6 is very powerful and they say the v8 is even much more so.

When you study the differences of the 3 when you go to the Toyota.com web site you will see a lot of similarities in all 3. So, it's really according to how important certain things are for you. I have five extra options on mine that I like. When you study the comparison of the 3 it will become clear to you which you would like better.
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    I have a 04 Sport 4x4, v8 with almost 40k miles, Have never looked back! Great in snow, have made 4 transcontinental trips, and couldn't be more pleased. Tires are citical on this vehicle; I got rid of the Dunlops at 10k miles, and replaced them with Bridgestone Revos, which have made the 4R unstopable in the snow.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Then I suggest you get the V6. I've got a 2003 V8. It's a fine engine, lots of performance. Mileage isn't great.

As for sport, limited, SR5, it all depends upon what options you want. You'll have to look through the option packages and decide what you require versus what you can live without. Personally, I could not live without side-curtain airbags and heated seats. As a result, I ended up with a limited. YMMV.
  • david49david49 Member Posts: 5
    I would have to wait 4 months to get the sr5 i want.Would you do it again? :confuse:
    thanks for the advice. i notice the base price of the limited is quite a bit higher....for that it is a bit hard to decipher what is added due to the limited trademark...saw one this AM and looks very sharp....appreciate the remarks...
  • kcwin1kcwin1 Member Posts: 2
    spots on the hood and roof, which according to toyota are due to acid rain or eggs. along with road nicks which have removed the paint down to the metal through out the car, predominately on the upper sides and back.
    I believe that Toyota.com shows the differences between the three models.
    No paint problems on my 2003, except where I got hit and the body ship did a poor job of color matching -- that's not Toyota's fault.
    thanks. the body side mouldings that I have seen was that discontinued in the newer models? my dealer thinks it has been...
  • rey187rey187 Member Posts: 3
    Cool thanks for the info I was hoping that you could just change the bulbs some of them I know the lights are integrated with the LCD. So thats good news that doesnt sound like it will be a problem at all. What manual do you have?

Thanks for the help
    I'm sorry, I don't understand your question.

Are you asking about the flat gray fender flares versus the body color painted fender flares? If so, I believe the flat gray unpainted fender flares have been discontinued. In the first year or so, the Limited came with the fender flares painted the body color. The SR5 (and the SE?) came with unpainted fender flares. They've since changed that.
    I have seen 4Runners with body side moulding extending from about 1/3 down on the side of the vehicle which matched the bumper color two toned to the color of the vehicle. Have not seen them recently and have not seen them on any new 4Runner. Hope that clarifies....
  • nonesuchnonesuch Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone. I've looked through most of the messages and found them all very helpful. The only thing I can't seem to find out is how to replace the window wiper on my 2000 4runner. If anyone could give me some help that would be great.
  • 26082608 Member Posts: 1
    This is for anybody that wants to purchase a rear spoiler for there 03-06 4runner..
    Toyota wants 350.00, you can purchase the same spoiler for 76.00 + shipping from spoilersmart.com with the rear light.
    unpainted of course..any decent body shop can paint it..
    -----------------------------------------------------
  • drex1drex1 Member Posts: 41
    I can recommend the Haynes Repair Manual for the 4Runner. They do a pretty nice job. Additionally, I use http://www.alldatadiy.com/ to get all the diagrams and detailed repair procedures.
  • paranavsparanavs Member Posts: 4
    I was looking for the grease recommended by the owner's manual for propeller shaft of 4Runner 2005;
    Spiders - Lithium base chassis grease NLGI No.2
    Slide Yokes - Mloybdenum disulfide lithium base chassis grease or Lithium base multi purpose grease NLGI N0.2

All the TOYOTA dealerships I talked to, offered "General Purpose Wheel Bearing chassis grease" C0009-00032.
    They say this is stuff their mechanics use.

Can anyone run into this tell me what to use. :confuse:
    Thanks.
  • calvinycalviny Member Posts: 13
    I have regularly to fill the coolant; though it is not much' about 1 litre in every 3-4 weeks...
    more in winter time..

I have checked that no leak on heater coil, new radiator & oil level is just right (so, it is not the head gasket blown)..

any other suggestion to look at it???
    Ok, that's what I thought you were asking, but I wasn't sure. As I posted previously, in the first year or two of the 4th generation 4Runner (2003 model year and up), the fender flares and bumper covers on the Limited were painted to match the body paint, but the SR5 fender flares and bumper covers were unpainted. I don't remember whether the SE had painted or unpainted plastic.

Toyota apparently decided that the unpainted plastic was reducing sales, so they discontinued it. All trim levels, SR5, SE, and Limited now have painted bumper covers and fender flares.
  • viper07viper07 Member Posts: 6
    The double-decker system can be removed, however there will be a gap between the rear floor and the seat backs when they are folded down. The rear floor will be lower when the shelf is removed. I removed the shelf from my 06, did not like the unfinished look and reinstalled it. I have yet to find a use for the shelf. There would be more room in the back had Marketing never thought of this useless item. :mad:
    Thanks for the information. I liked those. Might find a certified 04 with them...or maybe Toyota will bring them with the 07 but I doubt it...got an opinion on the CJ?
    CJ? Do you mean FJ Cruiser?

I haven't seen the FJ Cruiser in person. I'm a bit worried about the reduced visibility caused by the C-pillars and the large mirrors. I'm not a fan of swing-out rear doors -- I prefer a hatch like the 4Runner.

I like the looks of the FJ Cruiser, but it's too small for me. It will certainly be better offroad than the 4Runner (better clearance and better angles), but the 4Runner is more than capable of handling the offroading that I do. Also, I like the luxury features of my Limited, like leather seats, automatic headlights, and heated seats.
    I agree...visibility is down....best for off road and off freeway...limited model of the 4 Runner standard features...for me hard to justify the increase in price, though for some reason the limited looks finer than the SR. Like leathers though as I think the seats are better constructed...either way I agree the Runner is a better all purpose choice and sacrifice little in the capable department..
  • vinramdieselvinramdiesel Member Posts: 7
    The smell is from the kind of gas used
  • vinramdieselvinramdiesel Member Posts: 7
    Use a differnt brand of gas
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    May not help:

Sulfur from 2003 4Runner

Steve, Host