Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    They are an old standard, but still seem to be some of the best out there for my needs: Michelin LTX M/S's. If you do actual offroading, like NO ROAD, then you should go with the A/T's instead, otherwise the M/S's will take you everywhere you need to go. Every set I have had over the years has got me 40-50K miles, and they are smooth and quiet on highway trips. They also have good traction in the wet and snow.

You pay a lot for them up front, but you get your money's worth IMO.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• bobgordonbobgordon Member Posts: 156
    It all depends what you want.
    I'd start at Crutchfield. Give them a call and tell them what you'd like to do. They are always very helpful.
    www.crutchfield.com

Good luck!
  • ewenzewenz Member Posts: 1
    When braking on a surface with snow or ice my 4runner will make a grinding noise toward the front drivers wheel, and NOT STOP!! it will slide for several feet while the brake is engaged and just grind. This is only in snowy conditions though, otherwise my 4runner runs great even on really wet roads. I am wondering if anyone has any potential solutions or what area of repair I should be focusing on. Thanks so much.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sounds like normal ABS operation unless I'm missing something here....
  • noah5noah5 Member Posts: 1
    Howdy. I have a '05 4runner. I need to replace the passenger side mirror assembly and was wondering if anyone could direct me on how to take the door panel assembly apart without breaking any plastic parts in order to have access to the bolts connecting the mirror assembly. Any help will be much appreciated!
  • binoutbinout Member Posts: 2
    :cry: Hello I need help,
    My 1999 4 Runner SR5 with 140,000 miles backfires it seems out of the engine or right under the passenger front seat.

It only happens after i have been driving for awhile. As it backfires i lose most of the power. I can only go about 5mph as it backfires. If i dont press down on the gas pedal then most of the time it would stall.

it is rapid backfiring and bucking. Then the strangest thing happens, After about 5 min or so the problem goes away and it drives like nothing is wrong.

The check engine light doesnt come on. A mechanic told me nothing is showing on his diagnostic machine.
    He stated that a intermitten problem is very hard to detect unless it happens while he is operating it or its hooked up on the machine.

Of course it doesnt happen while in the mechanic's care, proberly because he doesnt have an hour or so to drive around with it until it happens.

There is no foul smell from the cat conveter.
    Gas cap is on tight.
    Only premium fuel with dry gas is used.
    Please tell me what can possibly cause this bad bucking, backfiring and sometimes stalling.

Thank you
  • ewillewill Member Posts: 1
    I have a 03 4Runner Sport. Love the vehicle. Just recently found out there was the consistent cable problem with the sun roof. I know there were bulletins but I never received them nor was I ever advised by the dealer. I had the vehicle in earlier due to a rattle in the sunroof. They did advise there was a factory bulletin and it was repaired, but nothing about the cables. I can't close the sun roof if I open it unless I manually pull the glass and push the "spoiler" on the front. The dealer quoted me $1250.00 to replace it since I am way beyond 36K miles and 3 yrs. I have filed an incident report with Toyota because I consider this a defect and I think Toyota should repair/replace the sunroof. It isn't too difficult to search the Internet and find the issue.
    Are you sure it is backfiring? Sounds like a clogged fuel filter or plugged up exhaust. Unless the check engine light (CEL) is broken or something. Because there are lots of problems that might manifest like this that would trigger the CEL, but without that it seems like it has to be gas supply or exhaust. But those shouldn't cause a backfire, which is usually caused by a misfiring engine, which would most certainly trip the CEL or at least leave codes on the computer for the mechanic to see.

I think it's worth a replacement fuel filter to see if anything improves, and if not you may want to look at the catalytic converter - they do get plugged up, especially at higher mileages like your truck has.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• binoutbinout Member Posts: 2
    thank you for the reply nipponoly:

We found out what can cause backfiring and stalling without setting off the cel.

He replaced the spark plug wiring set. It runs perfectly now. Even has more power then i thought it would have.

Mechanic told me the only cause for backfiring and stalling without a cel is:

Spark plug wiring, coil pack, clogged cat, fuel filter,all this can cause misfiring and cause backfiring with stalling and not set off the cel.
  • andrew17andrew17 Member Posts: 26
    Dear Friends! I just bought from KMart a set of 4 window hanging cupholders for $2.89. These fit fine into the oversized cup holders. Each has variable perimeter and inward oriented claws to accomodate your narrow/ tapered plastic/ metal coffee mugs - just cut off the window hanging extensions!
  • ggoinsggoins Member Posts: 57
    My dealer is offering me an 03 Runner.(I like the cladding) certified 45K miles. I have been reading the forumn for some time and the smell issue and rattling have kinda put me off....transmission also sparks some complaints.yet many owners of the 03 are happy....advice appreciated.

Thanks.....
  • yeti351yeti351 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 4Runner and there's alot of rattling coming from the sunroof when closed or tilted. Noise goes away when sunroof is open. I've read numerous complaints on this forum regarding the rattling coming from the sunroof. I followed the directions on the TSB regarding headliner rattling and no luck in resolving the noise. Does anyone have any solution to this rattling? Has anyone had any success?
  • drtimecodedrtimecode Member Posts: 4
    Hey... First time here, and let me start by saying, I'm not a car guy, so bear with me.

I have 1999 4Runner, 98,000 miles. I've used the Toyota Service regularly (I've still got all my reciepts). If fact, at 89,000 (back in Jan) it had it's Major Service done.

Well, now it has a hole in the engine block. Not clear whether it threw a rod or a piston (like I said, not a car guy), but I'm facing potentially a $6000+ bill for a new short block, or less for something rebuilt.

First questions:

How does this happen suddenly? Is this maintence issue (i.e. something Toyota missed), or can these things 'just happen'?

Do I get the repairs, or do I sell it for parts? I'm looking over it's Edmunds value now, but i'd like some other opinions.

What advice can you give me?

Thanks.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    That question as to the cause of the engine failure really cannot be answered accurately unless the engine is disassembled and examined. If there are signs of severe overheating and oil starvation that could be a case of one problem turning into a bigger one (loss of oil or coolant due to leak). Sometimes engines just fail due to metallurgical failures...a connecting rod bolt comes loose and then all hell breaks loose. Sometimes the oil pump fails, and sometimes junk clogs a bearing oil galley.

As for repairs it really depends on the condition of the rest of the vehicle. If it's basically clean inside and out, I'd go for a good used engine; but if it's a bit shabby and dented, you might want to let go of it, because the rest of the truck will still have the 98.000 miles on it regardless of the rebuilt engine.
  • petemattpetematt Member Posts: 8
    My 06 4 runner had vibrations at 50-65mph when i test drove it.I thought this was all because of imbalanced tires and sales people assured me that this problem can be because i have warranty.So right after 6 days of purchase i took my car in for tire balancing.One of their best mechanics test drove the car and felt the vibrations in the steering wheel.Dealer balanced the tires but it still had those vibrations.Then again i took it after a week to get it fixed.Again dealer balanced the tires, but there still were vibrations.Third time dealer replaced tires.No improvement.Fourth time i took it to another dealer.One mechanic test drove the vehicle and found the same vibrations.Second dealer also balanced the tires.No improvement. I also took it to Merchant's tire and auto center to know what they think about it. The manager test drove it and found the same vibrations.
    Now i am pursuing arbitration, no idea what trick toyota is going to play on me.
    Any ideas what usually happens in this????
  • drtimecodedrtimecode Member Posts: 4
    That's about what I've been hearing from a few other people. There seemed to more than enough oil judged by the giant puddle left by the truck as it was towed away, that and the oil sprayed thoughout the engine comparent. So it seems to be just a metal failure.

As for the repairs, the rest of the truck is in great condition, so I'm likely to replace the engine, if I can find a good enough deal. For a truck that's worth only about $7000-$8000 in decent condition, it's tough to justify spending $6000 on a NEW engine.

Thanks for the advice.
  • drex1drex1 Member Posts: 41
    My 2003 4Runner (only 36K miles) has recently started squeaking as I lightly depress the brake. As I depress the brake harder to stop, the squeaking goes away. I have not yet taken the two front wheels off to check the rotors and pads, but the right rotor is smooth and the left rotor has a few (very) small ridges. Any ideas before I start taking off the tires and checking the brakes? How long should the initial set of brakes last? My '99 4Runner is still on the same set of brakes for over 50K miles.
    My 06 4 runner does that every time i apply brakes and even during shifting gear from parking to drive.
    I have always thought this is a standard noise. No idea if this is a problem.
    I have had 4 services performed by the dealer as of yet.
    I also got it checked by Merchant Tire Center which is ASE certified and their manager gave me in writing that there is intermittent vibrations/oscillations occuring in seat and accelerator and steering.
    But here is the thing though, i do not see the steering wheel shaking which happens most of the time during imbalancing of tires.
    My last inspection happened with the local representative from Toyota and he said we will try to balance the tires out but if it is not fixed , then i can proceed with arbitration.
    I am so surprised why Toyota can not fix it. Or atleast tell me what is wrong with it.
    Every time i go to dealership, service manager/ mechanics concentrate on tires only.
  • ronsagronsag Member Posts: 2
    Rattle: I have the same problem on my 05 Sport Runner. Rattles coming from both front doors specially during cold weather w/door closed and bumpy roads. I solved the problem by replacing the rubber bumpers in between the door opening. Replaced it by a type of rubber bumper that tundra used which is no plastic fastener and they are solid rubber and identical in size. The original bumper is made of rubber and plastic that fastened to the door and causes to rattle due to the plastic bumper and weak door seal. Door vibrates slightly when driving on bumpy roads and you can check this by inserting your finger between both rubber door seal while driving in a bumpy road. I still have an issue with weak rubber door seal that dealer must replace this week. I hope this helps you.
  • ronsagronsag Member Posts: 2
    Causing my front doors vibrates while driving in a bumbpy roads. Is there any body experienced the same problem.
  • 4runn4runn Member Posts: 1
    What year is your 4runner? I have a 2005 v8 limited and it is doing the same thing. And exactly where can i find the slip yoke on the vehicle if i were to attempt this myself?

-thank you
  • charlie4runnercharlie4runner Member Posts: 22
    Check message #1899.

I had my driveshaft changed on my 2004 V8. Now it is fixed.

They replaced it with a Lexus part. Tried 3 other 4Runner Shafts and it didn't work.
  • vg245vg245 Member Posts: 4
    How did you get them to change driveshaft? Also do you hear any noises in you driver and passanger sits?
  • charlie4runnercharlie4runner Member Posts: 22
    The Vehicle was under warranty. I told them it was not normal. They gave me the run around and said all 4Runners were the same. I tried the dealer's demo, and it didn't do it. I called Toyota Canada and made a formal complaint. A file was started. Eventually the Toyota's regional rep suggested a new driveshaft. (Not any Driveshaft- One with a special Code) The dealer didn't even note if he was replacing the original shaft with an identical one. Anyway after the 3rd shaft it still didn't work. I found a Lexus site discussing the same problem. Lexus had a TSB. I showed my dealer the Lexus TSB. He said he cant do anything be cause I don't have a Lexus. DUH?!. Nothing happened, so I called Toyota Canada again. My dealer called the next day and said his rep suggested a Lexus Driveshaft.

It worked.
    I give my dealer a little credit, that he got it fixed. He just needed a bit of persuasion.

Good Luck.
    I think we all should voice our concerns to National Council for Dispute Settlement about what we all are going through.
    I traded my elegant and fully loaded 2005 Acura 3.2 TL $4000 below what carmax was giving me for my TL,for this vibrating junk.I have an arbitration hearing next month. e
    I think everyone must atleast go through that and let toyota get a feel of what we all are going through.
  • jokol2jokol2 Member Posts: 27
    I am waiting to fulfill the required 3 visits for each of our two 2006 4runners and then I am going to file under the Oregon Lemon Law for arbitration. I only wish ALL of the 4runner owners with this problem would do the same!! Too many think it is a tire problem and it is not. Please continue to post here so we can all see what is going on with Toyota. I think they rely on our not being "organized" in any shape or form. Until I found this website, I was wondering if anybody else was battling with Toyota. I now know that I am not alone. Thanks.
  • gcaguygcaguy Member Posts: 2
    My friend has a 1988 Toyota 4runner and it's leaking oil. When traveling at high speeds (75 to 80mph)she is losing oil and has to replace what she lost. At low speeds or when parked there is no evidence of loss of oil. What might be the cause of losing oil at high speed? Is there a gasket problem? Or could it be she is losing at the head bolts? Or, what might be the cause?
    Worn rings on a high-mileage engine can cause a LOT of oil loss without much in the way of noticeable smoke. That is probably what it is. She might try a heavier oil to slow the loss, if she is not prepared to do an engine rebuild.

So many miles does she have? Is it the 22RE or the V-6?

• gcaguygcaguy Member Posts: 2
    She has approximately 250,000 miles. The engine had some work on it a couple of years ago - what kind of engine repair and how many years ago I can't say for sure. I'm estimating roughly 3-1/2 years ago. She would like to know what the cost might be to do a complete engine over haul. A rough estimate is fine. She loves her truck and doesn't want to part with it, but she may have to make a realistic decision if she wants to keep it. Thanks for your reply and hope to hear from you again.
    Well, I live in California, and California is expensive, but about two years ago I had a friend with a 1990 4Runner (same V-6 as your friend's) and he spent about $2000 on a rebuild, which included removal and installation. He also spent a few hundred more for a complete tune-up and timing belt and all the rest, but the actual rebuild part including the labor was about $2000 of it. He is like your friend, will never give up his Runner for a newer one. :-)

At 250K, your friend is well into the territory where the engine could be having ring trouble. That's a fair pile of miles. Using a heavy heavy oil will stave off the inevitable, but creates other problems. If she likes it and it is in very good shape apart from this problem, she should check around and find a reputable place for the rebuild, and price it. Good places will warrant their work for 12 months/12K miles.

• nonewilsonnonewilson Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 4-runner driver side window goes back down about 2-3 inches after closing with the auto-up feature. You can make it go ahead and close all the way- by lightly lifting the button- but it is really annoying.
  • mike805mike805 Member Posts: 33
    Does anyone know of a door rub bar (black unpainted) that can be added to a new 4Runner with double sided tape to prevent door paint dings? Something like that on the Tundra would do if it doesn't require holes to be drilled.
  • dcam47dcam47 Member Posts: 1
    This job has to be done carefully on the V6,both head gaskets have to be replaced not just the blown side because of faulty head design,both mating surfaces the engine block and the aluminum head have to be completely cleaned of old gasket material,sanded and degreased,next use a metal ruler and make sure heads are not warped if head is warped it must be replaced.Also Ishino head gaskets designed for this problem must be used along with new Corteco head bolts and washers,this job is labor intense and most shops dont have the time to do it correctly.
  • rlewis007rlewis007 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2006 v6 sport edition and have experienced the same exhaust backlash noise. I took it to the dealership and they said...."it's just exhaust backlash"...and I could get a borla dual exhaust system and the noise would go away....I just spent $32k for a car and i need to buy an upgraded exhaust system? Right?!....I'm going to test drive a new 4runner to see if all of the vehicles have that problem....it is very annoying and makes the car sound cheap
  • 19841984 Member Posts: 16
    the exhaust noise i get sounds like a very noisy valve - they also told me that normal for a 4runner.
    seems i have very sensitive sensor - the amber warning light came on on a trip to philadelphia a few weeks ago (it was much colder there than DC). It finally reset itself once i got back to warmer climes (all 5 tires pessure were correct). i will be back to the dealer tomorrow for a second visit on this. :(
  • yaroshyarosh Member Posts: 14
    i have a 2005 4-runner that never vibrates up to 85 mph. is there a lemon law in your state? did you buy it with american express? in either case you can turn it back to them as defective. you absolutely shouldn't put up with anyting that isn't wonderful. regards, yrosh
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    I might try an exhaust upgrade with new headers but i would rather not make the modification
  • warrenbwarrenb Member Posts: 1
    NEED ADVICE... Got a '96 Toyota 4 Runner. After starting engine, engine runs for 1 to 5 minutes and then just cuts out. It just cranks with fuel pressure, but NO SPARK!!!. I have replaced the following: Cam Shaft Sensor; Air Mass Meter; Crank Shaft Sensor

After it stalls, it will only start again if I let it sit for a couple hours. When it does start again, it cuts out after 1 to 5 minutes and the problem is the same as above.

Anyone have advice??

Many Thanks.
  • mldatuinmldatuin Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone out there experience a knocking/tapping noise when starting the engine in the morning or when engine is cold? The noise disappears as the engine warms up. Somebody told me it is the engine valve lifters. I put an additives but still didn't help.

Any comments is appreciated.

Manny
    I think they're right, it's the valve lifters. It's not a huge worry, but maybe you could switch to a lighter oil so it will pump up quicker when it's cold?

Have you tried to pull codes off it? Sure sounds like a bad sensor somewhere.

• chevyflamechevyflame Member Posts: 2
    I have a 96 recently working on the engine accidently broke an aluminum liquid line that run throught the drier and condensor something like that, anyway freon empty, i have a home mechanic purchase one and installed it for 100 usd plus 30 for recharging freon to it, but he didn't know how much freon should he charge, anyone know please post. he said look under hood it should tell the maximun of lbs and the mininum. since mine lable not there anymore....
    a '96 would use R134a, not freon. :confuse:

• chevyflamechevyflame Member Posts: 2
    yeah you rite not freon i mean R134a. i would like to know how much should it be recharge in it could you look your lable underhood see how much the maxium and the mininum of pounds.. Thanks...
    :lemon: The Dealer ( has now offered to order a new tire pressure sensor (this after my 2nd visit).
  • dadof6dadof6 Member Posts: 61
    Is it a 4 or 6 cyl ?
  • rychrrychr Member Posts: 2
    Got a weird intermittent problem with my 2005 4runner Limited. On occasion when I go offroading in 4H the 4wd lights keep flashing when I shift from 4H to 2H. This is not the normal 4wd drive engaged lights that flash when u go from 2H to 4H and vice versa but all of them including the 4lo, diff lock, VSC lights etc. Tried stopping the vehicle, accelerating and braking, backing up, shifting from 2H to 4H and back again but nothing stops the blinking lights. When I turn the truck off and on again there are no more blinking lights. The dealer has looked at my truck twice now and can't find any problems or re-create the problem because it only happens sometimes

Has anyone heard of this problem? Is this a mechanical or a sensor problem? Is there a technical bulletin on this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • cbhoocbhoo Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 4Runner with a 3.4L 6-cyl engine that has been regularly serviced by my Toyota dealer (Kings Toyota in Cincinnati) since I bought it new in 1/00. I have 78,000 miles, and it was just serviced (oil change) at the dealer 1 month before my engine failure.

Three weeks ago I was driving on the expressway, when I accelerated to change lanes, the car began to shake and the engine lost power. The engine light came on. When I pulled off the road, the oil light came on too. The engine quickly seized up and stopped. There was oil and radiator fluid mixed together on the road under the car.

I had it towed to the Toyota dealer (Kings Toyota in Cincinnati) where I bought it new and which did my service. I suspected a blown connecting rod. The dealer confirmed that the engine must be replaced. Incredible!! I bought this 4Runner for its advertised quality and reliability. I had a Jeep for 140k miles before this. Also had Honda, Nissan, Toyota and Chevy for 100k+ miles.

When the problem first surfaced (which initially I thought was only a blown engine), I called the Toyota Customer Care toll free number in CA. This (or any) engine does not fail after only 78,000 miles unless it is defective or not cared for. I had all service according to the manual at the dealer. I am the original owner. Toyota Customer Care told me I must work through the dealer Customer Service Rep. So, I immediately contacted the dealer Cust. Service Rep, who then had the Toyota District Sales and Parts Manager (DSPM) (Ron) for my area look at the car. Two weeks ago the Toyota DSPM apparently inspected the car and told the dealer he would give $1000 toward a new engine -- net $8000 installed per my dealer. A used engine is only $4500 so I chose to go with the used engine and continue to try to work out with Toyota.

This week they started to remove the old engine and I learn that I need a transmission too -- another $3200! The dealer is telling me that the connecting rod broke, was thrown through the block and into the transmission -- needs both an engine and transmission (~ $8k). I went to see it 2 days ago and met with the mechanic and service manager. When I asked what would cause this premature failure (I already knew) the mechanic said that he did not want to accuse me of anything but did I ever change the oil. It was easy for me to say yes -- the dealer (you) changed it over the years including 3 times this year in Jan, May and 30 days before the failure! He said that's about the only way he knew it could fail.

I immediately spoke to the Customer Care rep at the dealer (Kings Toyota in Cincinnati) who told me to call the Toyota Customer Care person in CA again because the dealer could not do anything more. The Toyota Customer Care person told me that I must resolve this with the dealer or the Toyota DSPM for this area. Toyota also told me no one, not even the CEO of Toyota could overrule the decision of the DSPM -- ridiculous. The dealer told me to work through Toyota so I am getting jerked around. My neighbors and friends -- some who bought Toyotas from my dealer at my recommendation -- are shocked that Toyota will not take care of this problem.

I need to contact the Toyota DSPM; I know his first name is Ron, but nothing else. Toyota Customer Care said they did not know who the DSPM was for my area but to contact the dealer and it could tell me. I have left messages at the dealer for this contact info but now radio silence. Anybody have any names/address/phone of a person at Toyota where they had success resolving a problem?? Any other suggestions for getting help from Toyota?