Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• boats3boats3 Member Posts: 42
    In general Michelin's last the longest but are usually the most expensive. However, you should not purchase tires just because it is a Michelin. What you need to do is determine what type of driving you do, highway, off-road, both, etc. and determine the best tire for your needs and your wallet. I personally like Michelin's but the price always makes me look at other options. Depending on what is in the market place guides my decision. I have Michelin's on my wife's Pilot, but on my last car I had BFG Long-Trails and loved them, did a ton of highway driving. On my 4 Runner I have the Bridgestones until they need replacement, won't go with them as a replacement tire. Keep in mind that Michelin's, BFG's and Uniroyal are marketed by Michelin Small American Tires or (MAST) for short.

Check is correct though about the rotation so no need to repeat.

Also, every tire comes with a Tread Wear Indicator which is 2/32". It is located in between the treads. But, if you wait until the tire reaches that indicator you are putting your life and everyones elses in danger when the weather is anything but sunny.

Also, have your truck aligned to prevent uneven tire wear, you should do this at least once a year, others recommend twice.

Brakes life cycle depends on your driving habits as well as how far your typical drive is. City traffic will wear brakes more quickly than highway traffic.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    1) Cross Terrrains can last 80,000+, but there are variables so 56K is good just the same. My OEM Dunlops had only 18,000 when they wore out. Get them replaced before the weather changes.
    2) Toyota puts great brakes on their trucks. The only time I've read of people doing brake jobs on 2003+ 4Runners is because the rotors warped.
    3) I haven't heard of a dealership rotating the spare since the 80's. Time is money these days. Front 2 for back 2 is my experience with any brand of vehicle nowadays.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Yep, those Dunlops are one bad tire. Many reports on these tires not lasting on other forums.
  • jomesjomes Member Posts: 1
    I think that one of the hiccups of the 4runner has. I have a 2004 4Runner SR5 w/ customized tires & rims (22" rims) and I have the same problem (clanking sound infront everytime i turn my wheel, even when backing up the applying the breaks it makes that sound) really annoying huh!, but I have stopped bringing it to the dealership coz its costing me money everytime I go and they still cant find any solution. Instead i went to a local mechanic here in hawaii and i asked them to check it. They told me that’s its just the break guards. he just shoved the guards a bit to give it an extra clearance, and the clanking stopped , they told me that if the clanking will return coz the guard is just a thin sheet of iron a eventually it’ll be deformed.
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    Driving in snow on the Dunlops is pretty dangerous. Akin to climbing Everest in Converse Chuck Taylors.
  • 2006toy2006toy Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for all the advice regarding the "Tire Rotation/Brakes" I'll probably look for new tires in a month or so, which will be well in advance of the tire wearing to the tread line as we use the 4Runner for skiing trips in northern New England. I want some good skins on the rim before our first trip. The forum works!
  • topneurotopneuro Member Posts: 8
    Have 2008 4Runner, do not know if a rigid tire cover is available after market.
    If not a good custom fit this may cause problems with water puddles, corosion and rotting.
    The Lexus RX 350 has a plastic molded spare tire cover, it isolates the spare tire well. Is there something similar for 2008 4Runner?
    Would a FJ Cruiser rigid ABS cover fit?
    Southwind Plastics has released a new material Polypro-2(TM) in its new line of tire covers which is clear/transparent, this would allow inspection without disassemble.
  • cwappscwapps Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me where to find the re-torque specs on the propeller shaft bolts of a 2004 4Runner (SR5 4WD) 4.7L engine, 5 speed auto transmission? There seems to be little info out there for the do it you selfer without a set of factory repair manuals.
  • glb5glb5 Member Posts: 39
    65 foot pounds for the rear and front driveshaft flange bolts.
    I have a 2006 Limited 4 Runner, why in the world would Toyota put "H" Rated Tires on a SUV? The size is P2655/60R18 109H. Just does not make sense on a SUV. Anyone have any insight inot this? :confuse:
    There have been many complaints about Toyota putting the cheapest tires possible on the 4Runners.

My '05 4Runner Sport (and other models) can with Dunlop tires.

Those were REALLY BAD.
  • nacaratonacarato Member Posts: 1
    I live on long island and my family enjoys taking our SUV to the beach and riding till we find the right spot. There are areas of packed sand and soft sand. I was told by one Toyota dealer that I could take the Highlander on the beach and another said it was possible if I let the air out of the tires (not something I want to do). Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of taking the Highlander on the beach?
    Chuck, not a matter of the tires being good or bad, Toyota put a performance tire on a SUV, that is what does not make sense.
    If you are going to go on the beach I suggest that you purchase an air compressor for the car and let 10-15 lbs. per tire out. This will provide you with the best traction possible on the sand. This is true for any car not just the Highlander.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    If you don't lower the air pressure in your tires, you will get stuck.

I take my 4Runner on the beach at Cape Poge every year. The signs say "lower your tire pressure to 15 psi or you will get stuck." The signs don't lie.

Most such beaches have air compressors were you can add air once you get off the beach.

You will also need the usual required recovery equipment (strap, tow hooks, jack, jacking plate, shovel) and a tire pressure gauge.

As for adding a compressor to the car, cheap plug-in air compressors don't have the volume to efficiently pump your tires. If you really want your own on-board compressor, you are looking at something like an Oasis compressor (on the order of $1000).

Before you get all of that, check with the organization that runs the beach. Some of them do not allow AWD vehicles on the beach.
  • cwappscwapps Member Posts: 2
    Many thanx :)
  • duke15duke15 Member Posts: 161
    I figured I could at least answer some of your questions using my 2002 4Runner 4X4 V6 Sport that I purchased new.

1) How long do the Michelin Cross Terrains typically last? I might have another 6k left.
    A: 44K miles on mine so far. I was told they could last 75K miles if taken care of properly.

2) How long do the original brakes last? I have not had any brake work done
    A: My truck flipped 98K miles yesterday, and was in the shop for an oil change, tire rotation, and "free" safety inspection this morning. My original brake pads on the back have 60% life left in them. The front pads and rotors were replaced at 93K miles due to the front rotors warping and being too thin to turn.

3) When rotating the tires, one dealership rotates all 5 (spare included) front to back and across as well as "Force Balance" the tires. The other dealership closer to home rotates the 2 front tires with the 2 back tires, does not include the spare or cross the tires left to right. Which method is correct?
    A: Not sure, but for me the 2nd dealer would be correct as my spare is still the crappy Bridgestone that came with the truck.
  • durangojaydurangojay Member Posts: 31
    I am thinking of purchasing a 2000 SR5 4Runner. One owner, all records, oil changed regularly, all maintenance done. New Michelins, brush guard, sun roof. Vehicle is in excellent shape and I think it could be had for a fair price. What should I be looking out for in this truck? Timing belt was done at about 80K. It has 118K on it now. Rides very tight. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Jay
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • durangojaydurangojay Member Posts: 31
    Thanks, but what I was looking for was specific technical issues that I should be looking for on this model ie timing belt replacements, CV boot wear, etc. Any input would be welcome. Thanks, Jay
  • heavyline1heavyline1 Member Posts: 1
    I REPLACED REAR BRAKES AFTER MARKET PADS & TURNED REAR DRUMS . NOTE WHEN I STOP THE WHOLE REAR OF THE TOYOYA VIBRATES
    SHUTTERS I TRIED REPLACING THE DRUMS AFTER MARKET THEY WOULDNT FIT PLEASE WHAT DO I DO..................................................
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't recall any issues that keep reappearing on the 4Runner. You can skim this and the other 4Runner discussions but my guess is that the problems will typical of those you'll find on most any used car. No smoking gun like Subaru headgaskets or Odyssey transmissions to pay particular attention to.

Any owners out there who can weigh in?
  • md4runnermanmd4runnerman Member Posts: 72
    Just want some thoughts. I have a 2004 V8 Limited, which will be 5 years old in Feb. 09. I still have the original battery. Should I seriously consider replacing it before the cold weather really sets in? Or save my money and keep watch on the indicator? I have not been having any problems.
    Get it tested if you are concerned. Your local mechanic can do it for you. Also, the heat does more damage to your battery than the cold.
    I wouldn't get it tested. I would just replace it. At 5 years it is time. Why bother for less than a $100.00?

After all, the battery never goes out at a bad time...does it? :):)
    Steve, there are not any serious issues that the past few years of the 4Runner has had. These things are pretty much bullet proof.

There is an occasional power train "clunk" on this last generation that doesn't affect anything, but a few find irritating.

Also, If anyone buys new with a model that has the X-Reas suspension, I would highly suggest buying the Toyota Factory warranty. This system is covered under the platinum warranty offered by Toyota.

There have been isolated issues of this system leaking and needing work. It happened to me but I had the warranty. Total cost for one shock was $300.00 plus labor. Toyota paid for two days of a rental car while locating the part. Total invoice around $500.00 BTW-total suspension replacement of the X-Reas runs $3,000.00!
  • jeff_connorsjeff_connors Member Posts: 1
    durangojay....

Did you get the Toyota? I'm thinking of buying the same year, same mileage. What was the asking or sale price of yours?
  • julietjjulietj Member Posts: 15
    Regarding eventual repair issues, on my 2003 I had warped rotors replaced recently (plus new pads) at almost 60,000 mi. (Thanks to folks here, I knew exactly what was wrong!) Seems this is a pretty common repair with the 4Runner. Also had one leaky front strut, & had to get front & diagonal back replaced - cost $1000 for labor plus parts -- Toyota mechanic said he'd never seen the diagonally linked struts before, which was a bit alarming, since they're standard on the Sport. Second set of tires (Dunlop? only 2 years old) were out of tread, replaced all four with Continental CrossContact LX. Maybe these will last a while.

Nothing else has been a problem, other than the glove box pneumatic hinge came off when I had the cabin filter replaced, and won't stay on anymore ... no big deal that it drops open. Didn't even realize it had that hinge until it stopped working. Next - 60,000 service.
    That was my point a while back, if you buy the 4Runner new or slightly used, and it has the X-REAS like you have-it's a must for the extended warranty.

I would NOT BUY A USED 4RUNNER with the X-REAS from a private party. I do not believe they are eligible for the TOYOTA EXTENDED WARRANTY. I could be wrong though.

I also had the leaky front (X-REAS) strut. Repaired under Toyota platinum warranty. But oddly enough, the dealer said I did not have to replace the opposite strut. Also, elsewhere on the net, if the opposite one is not leaking it has been confirmed it need not be replaced.
  • duke15duke15 Member Posts: 161
    I have a 2002 4Runner 4X4 Sport that I also purchased new. I have had similiar experiences, although it would seem I am getting more out of my Michelins.

1) I was also told 75K miles. I have 35 - 40K on mine now, and they have just started to look like they have some wear (verses brand new looking), but look to have many miles left on them.

2) I also had my front brakes/rotors replaced at 93K miles - rotors warped and were too thin to turn. I was also told at the time that I had 60% left on my original rear pads

3) My spare is also still my crappy Bridgestone, and I do not include it in the rotation. It is a good idea to check it a couple of times of year to make sure its tire pressure is still where it needs to be.

My problem with mine is the door seals. They keeping coming loose and sagging down - especially the rear doors. I had them replaced while still under warranty, but the new ones did/do the same thing. It is annoying, but also my biggest complaint, so I can't complain much. Will flip 100K miles this month with no problems beyond the door seals!
    I was probably bamboozled by the repair folks. But hey, I got a new strut that shouldn't be leaking for a long time. And the ride is better. At least I'm forewarned when & if the other struts spring a leak!

Coming up on my 60,000 service interval in the next couple of weeks. Any suggestions?
  • bookennsbookenns Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1991 4runner 3.0 V6 sr5 standard 4x4. I did the head gaskets last winter and gave it a tune up at the same time. The check engine light came on all the time after that, the code that came up when jumping terminals was 5 3 (knock sensor). After talking with the local Toyota techs, the diagnosis was change the knock sensor (and short harness). Last month I changed it and had some other work that included regrinding the camshafts for a little more jam and new larger exhaust done as well. But that code 5 3 is still showing up and it is retarding my timing dramatically. What is this code trying to tell me? All I know is that it is the knock sensor circuit. What should I be looking at to find out what the problem is? What are some diagnostics I need to perform? I am this close to taking it to the dealer but am scared of the costs. Please help.
    thx
  • bookennsbookenns Member Posts: 2
    Another thing I have noticed is that my voltage takes a dive when I put my foot into the throttle, especially at low RPM. The battery and park brake idiot lights come on and everything electrical slows or dims. Could this have something to do with that sensor. I am taking it down for testing the battery and alternator today.
  • 05_4R_owner05_4R_owner Member Posts: 3
    Hello all,

I own a V6 2005 4x2 Limited 4Runner. It's getting close to 45k service. The dealer close to my place charge $ 93.00 for the 45k service which include oil change, brake adjustment, fluids check, etc. all minor stuffs. I feel it's too expensive. I usually do oil change on my Camry. I can do oil change on my 4Runner too. No problem.

The question is "break adjustment." I don't see it on the maintenance manual. Do I need that? If so, can I do it myself? How? Can someone please give me some advise how to do it or where to look for the information. I have been looking for it online for hours and can't find any substantial info about adjusting the brakes. I am good with my hands and have some experience fixing brakes on toyota and honda sedans.

Thank you for reading. Happy holidays to all..........
  • goodstargoodstar Member Posts: 27
    Consider asking your dealer what they do during the brake adjustment. There is no adjustment for disc brakes that I am aware. They might check the pad depth but disc brakes are self adjusting. The only other adjustment might be the parking brake but if it is working ok it should not need adjustment either. Sometimes it is good to have the dealer trained technician take a look at the vehicle. Most dealers offer a complimentary multi-point inspection check of your vehicle when a service or repair is performed. They may find something now that may prevent a breakdown or an expensive repair in the future.
  • tbradptbradp Member Posts: 1
    I've got an 04 4Runner with about 69k miles. When I'm on the highway I occasionally get a vibration that sounds like is coming from the roof. At first I thought it was the moonroof visor but I've since ruled that out. It seems to get worse as the outside temperature decreases. Any suggestions?
    No but if you figure it out let me know I have the same problem.
    Try adjusting the roof rack crossrails toward the back of the vehicle. This also lessens road noise.
    Thanks, I will try to pry out some info from the dealers what they do by saying break adjustment. :)

I think my brakes should be ok since they did 4k service. That time they charge me $65.00, which is ok. But, $93.00? I can't afford it. I don't know why they went up.

Cheers.....
    Yeah, I would check the roof rack first. For my 05 model, there is a sticker on the rack saying the quietest position for the cross bars. I don't know you have such sticker. If not, check with someone who has 05 model and try to adjust according to it. And I would make sure the screws of the cross bars are tight.

Good luck....... :)
  • nvntrnvntr Member Posts: 1
    Hello:

My '93 4Runner has been slow getting into reverse when cold. This has been ongoing for the past year. Sometimes it just takes a few seconds, and then it locks in and goes in reverse.

Yesterday, it wouldn't go into reverse at all. I took it to the mechanic, and he said the transmission needed to be replaced with a used one, at a minimum cost of $1,100.00. OUCH!

A few hours later, I was driving it, and it started going into reverse again.

Anyone have any ideas where the problem might be, and do I really need to replace the transmission?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Get a second opinion! And a third if you have to.
    I've heard of this happening, and having it solved with a transmission flush, or that it was because of an issue with the neutral safety switch, or the vacuum hoses, or that it continued to happen even after a new transmission was installed. It's too big of a deal to go with the first mechanic's advice to replace the entire transmission.
  • oib622oib622 Member Posts: 1
    There is a grinding noise, sounds like it is from the front wheel area. Replaced all wheel bearings in the front end. Didn't stop the problem. Doesn't do it all the time, just when I hit a rough spot in the road - then it starts. Stops if I slow down to 20 mph. Any ideas??
  • rburleson1rburleson1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2006 4Runner with a little under 39,000 miles.
    I am on the fence about an extended warranty.
    Part of me says it's a Toyota! and you won't have to worry about anything for a long time... but then the peace of mind is nice too.
    After checking around a bit I have heard that the warranty companies try to find any loophole or technicality to get out of paying, and they require that all factory maintenance schedules are followed or they don't pay.
    What is the consensus on the third party extended warranties?
  • 2006toy2006toy Member Posts: 6
    I would pass on the warranty. I purchased a 2006 4Runner Limited V8 new and did pay $1,400+ for a 72 month 120,000 warranty, which I thought was from Toyota, but was from one of these insurance companies. I was so tried after negotiating a great deal on the truck that I got talked into the extended warranty. I suspect if I do have a claim, it will be difficult to collect. I have 65K on the 4Runner and I've had no problems. I typically keep my vehicles (Honda/Toyota) for 10-12 years. Traded a 12 year old, 4 cylinder, Honda Accord with 187K miles, which was still running fine for the 4Runner. I was just tired of driving it. I do have the 4Runner serviced at the dealership and follow the maintenance schedule to a tee. It's a Toyota manufactured in Japan! Save the money and spend it on the scheduled maintenance
    You can't buy a Toyota Warranty on a used car after you drive it off the lot. The third party warranties are not worth the price of a postage stamp.

A word to the wise...any 4Runner equipped with a sunroof or the X-Reas suspension should be purchased with a warranty. Both are trouble items. One shock for the X-Reas cost $600.00.

I know, Toyota had to replace one of mine and I had the extended warranty!
    So I finally got a chance to adjust the roof rack rails, and the noise has stopped. Thanks for the info really appreciate the help.
    You're welcome. Glad I could help. Enjoy your ride.
  • blesseuerblesseuer Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2006 4Runner i am repairing. When hook up the battery the alarm goes off and a theft deterrant appears to be stopping the engine from starting...it turns over fine but will not start. I do not have a key fob with this vehicle. I tried putting the key in on position before hooking up the batter, help with alarm but not the engine kill. is there something i can do to reset this?
    thanks
  • christiec6christiec6 Member Posts: 3
    My 2008 SR5 is at 30,000 and I'm about to take a road trip. The dealership near me is offering the service for $671.00 (with a free rental for the day). Does this sound reasonable?