Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• boats3boats3 Member Posts: 42
    Ask them specifically what they are doing for the 30,000 mile service.
  • christiec6christiec6 Member Posts: 3
    I have the entire list:
    -Tighten nuts & bolts on Chassis
    -Re-torque propeller shaft bolt
    -Replace front difference oil (4WD)
    -Replace Engine Air filter
    -Replace rear difference oil
    -Replace transfer case oil (4WD)
    -Lubricate propeller shaft (4WD)
    -Oil Change
    -Replace spark plugs
    -Rotate Tires

Then the inspect the following: exhaust pipes and mountings, drive shaft boots (4WD), Steering linkage and boots, stering gear box, ball joins and dust covers, brake lines and hoses, fuel tank cap gasket, Automatic transmission fluid, brake linings/discs and brake pads/discs, fuel lines/connections/tank band, etc, inspect radiator, condenser and/or intercooler and engine coolant.

I also told him I want them to wash my car. (even though it is snowing here).

Thank you for any advice you can give.
    At a dealer I would say anywhere between $600-$900.
  • christiec6christiec6 Member Posts: 3
    Okay. I feel okay then. I feel confident I can talk him down to $600 and plus I'll have the rental for the day. Thank you for your help. I wouldn't normally go to the dealer, but, as mentioned, I'm driving to NC from MD in three days and want it done quickly! Thanks again!!!
  • paperboy2paperboy2 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same make, and experience similar problems. We finally figured out to leave it on 'Auto' mode all the time, and it seems to work fine. However, to get the defrost function to work we first need to put the rear window on defrost, and then the front. The problem being that it is then hard to get back 'Auto' mode.
    The dealership told me that it could be the control module that costs about $900, or a defective relay that would be in the vicinty of $200-$300.
    We have elected to let it ride as is since we don't need defrost function to much in the South.
  • newdavidqnewdavidq Member Posts: 146
    Hope you get this before you spend the $600. My local dealer just quoted me $270 for the 30k service on my 07 v6 4r. Consumer reports just did a national survey of costs for 30, 60 and 120 mile service costs for various vehicles. They did one for the 30k interval on the v6 4r in LA, Chicago and NY and the highest was $472 and the lowest was $180. The higher costs were associated with the dealer doing more than the factory recommended items. I would check your owners manual and insist that they do only the manufacturer recommended service. If you have other Toyota dealers in your area I would get some other estimates.
    PS. You don't have to have a dealer do the service; a qualified independant shop can also do the work.
    Regards, DQ
  • bassnvoxbassnvox Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1990 4Runner 3.0 V6 4WD. The car bogs out, makes a metal grinding sound, and loses power at 2000 rpm, it has minimal power until about 2600 rpm, once I pass that it is fine. Also in 4th and 5th gear, the pedal will be floored and I will have no power and be unable to pass 2000 rpm, the only way around this is too down shift and tach up the engine so that I will go into gear higher than 2600 rpm. I have recently replaced the max sensor, fuel filter/pump, all gaskets inside the block, and cat converter. I also have a clean K&N intake system, and I run high mileage synthetic blend valvoline oil. I don't know what else I can repair or replace to fix this and it's becoming very expensive. What can be causing this?

Thanks,
    -Josh
  • duke15duke15 Member Posts: 161
    I know this is an old thread, but I couldn't find the answer. I've been using the search function and I'm looking for the solution to a similiar problem. I have a 2002 4Runner 4X4 V6 AT with 103K miles I'm the only owner. Recently, when driving, I have been getting some random hesitation. It seems to happen more often when slightly increasing the gas pedal. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all on small trips, other times it happens 5-10 times. Any ideas?

Thanks!
  • leonotoleonoto Member Posts: 1
    I have seen a lot of posts about door rattles, but none of them seem to be the kind of rattle I have. If anyone knows what the cause or solution to this problem is, please let me know.
    On my 95k mile 2000 4Runner, all my doors rattle and squeak against the frame of the truck when hitting minor bumps. Sometimes it sounds like the rubber stripping is squeaking as the door vibrates, but other times, especially in the rear hatch, it sounds like a metal on metal grinding banging noise when hitting bumps. I've adjusted the striker plates on the front two doors to no avail. Since that didn't fix the problem, I didn't try it on the other doors. All the rubber stops are in place (some had to be replaced). The rattles seem to be reduced in really warm weather and magnify in really cold weather. I have been chasing this problem since I bought the truck two years ago. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. As far as I know, the truck hasn't been off road other than mountain forest service roads, and the previous owners definitely didn't rally the truck. I also know that the origin of the rattles isn't inside the door panels since I have dismantled them and ensured tight screws and bolts all around.
    My hunches:
    - Doors need to be completely re adjusted (at hinges and striker plates). This is an expensive option since I don't feel comfortable adjusting the hinges myself.
    - Weather stripping is of poor quality and could be replaced

Otherwise I love my truck, and it is in great shape and well maintained. But the rattles just drive me crazy!
    Thanks for your help.
  • rjordan393rjordan393 Member Posts: 1
    2004 v6 4wd with 20,000 miles. I bought it with 4890 miles on it.
    Oil and oil filter changes once a year.
    I am looking at changing the transmission oil and cooling fluids this Spring. About 85% of the mileage is stop and go driving in an urban setting. Right now, I am experiencing low mileage and will test at the next fillup. I was wondering whether if I also should have the mechanic check the fuel injectors? If so, then is on the vehicle cleaning ok or should I go with off the vehicle cleaning. I have only used 95 octane gas. What does the toyota mechanic check when low mileage is the complaint? Should I also consider other maintenance?
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Your low mpg is bcuz of the urban driving. My 2003 gets as low as 14.5 city. As for maintenance, just go by the owners manual. If you don't have it then it's available online at Toyota's website, although you might have to register as an owner to see it. Fwiw, change the oil more often - at least every 6 months.
  • hector13hector13 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, i have a 1997 4runner SR5 great truck wouldn't trade it in for anthing else. My engine light is on and I did a diagnostics and its showing the o2 sensors. Does anyone know how many sensors does it have and where are they located? Thank you.
  • edmunds17edmunds17 Member Posts: 1
    I believe there re two O2 censors - the yare not cheap. I am on my way today to get one replaced. I've been driving with my check engine light on for about 1 year now - I know it's the O2 censor. Not a huge deal, jsut lower gas mileage at this point, but it is due.

I've got 130,000 on my 01 4WD 'Runner w/Sport package and it still runs like it's new aside from the censor.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    If you replace the O2 sensors - go ahead and replace the spark plugs. They have to be pretty bad if your motor was running a rich fuel mixture.
  • woodstocwoodstoc Member Posts: 6
    Hello everyone, New to the forum.

My wife's 02 HL's CEL, VSC & TRAC lights came on after a wash after a car wash sometime ago. After a couple of days, the lights went out so I figured that a connection got wet and caused the lights.

Buy a pressure washer about three weeks ago, and wife decided to wash the HL with it. Lo and behold, here they are again on the dash. After two weeks, I disconnected the battery and restored. Lights went away. After a few times of driving, they are back on and the SUV cannot be inspected.

Any ideas of where a connection might be, that could cause this so I can begin to troubleshoot? (The engine compartment was not opened for the wash)

Thanks for any replies.
  • bc4x4runner1bc4x4runner1 Member Posts: 2
    Hey. I ahve a 90 4 runner V6 and have the same problem as you. Did you ever resolve the issue??? I am thinking something with the Coil maybe??? The coil resistance in my truck is a little high.. 0.7 Ohms and the FSM specs 0.4 - 0.5 Ohms. Maybe a short??? I also get Codes on my CEL. 13 , 42 and 43

13 -- No IGf Signal
    42 -- No IDL or NSW or A/C Signal
    43 -- No Speed Sensor Signal.

Jumping out the plug for base timing doesn't work. (Same effect as not jumpering). I dont notice very much change in truck RPM when I connect the jumper either...seems a bit strange. I Know the timing is "close" because otherwise the truck would run like a real turd rather then rough, hesitate, poor gas mileage and maaad vibration at about 110km/h
  • woodstocwoodstoc Member Posts: 6
    I had Autozone pull the codes and they point to the bank 1 O2 sensor. Some research shows this to be the one at the back of the engine, prior to the cat. I'm hoping that water got into the elec connector and caused a short or corrosion issue. I plan on checking that this evening. If this doesn't work, I'll replace the sensor next.

Sorry, I don't know enought about these trucks to help with your issue. This is the wifes car and I mostly tinker with my vette.
  • jrpoolejrpoole Member Posts: 6
    I have a 1999 4runner limited, how do I know which tire air pressure to use? The value that the tire says, or the value written inside the driver door area? Sorry if it's a newb question, I wasn't sure as both values are pretty different. (The one on the tire is a lot higher).
  • CkmtCkmt Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to buy a '06 4 runner. I looked at one available from my favorite dealer. Test drove it and stopped in a parking lot to check it over. Notice the latch for the rear door was rusted. Tried to check the oil and the tube that holds the dip stick was rusted and could not get the dip st. out. Read a couple reviews about water getting in somewhere and getting the rear rugs soaked. They had no answers or satisfaction from toyota. Any help GREATLY appreciated.
  • 2006toy2006toy Member Posts: 6
    I own a 2006 LTD V8 with 70K miles, bought new, with no problems at all. Still have original tires & brakes. I have followed the routine maintenance schedule with service provided at a Toyota dealership (essentially oil and filter changes). I have no water leaks, but have not taken the truck off-road. I've driven it through countless rain storms with heavy flooding and no leaks. I would pass on this particular 4Runner and keep looking.
  • dt52dt52 Member Posts: 1
    2002 4 runner vsc and service engine soon lights just came on any idea what's wrong how much to fix
  • blesseuerblesseuer Member Posts: 12
    I bought a 2006 4Runner sport without the owners manual.
    I had a yellow light on the dash come on, it looks like a bottom 3/4 of a tire with an explanation point on the inside. is this a tire pressure monitor or ??
    thanks!
    None, you need to go to a shop and have them run the codes, personally I stay away from the dealer unless it is under warranty.
    Yes.
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    I have an 08 4Runner without the steering wheel audio controls (didn't realize this when I tested it, just assumed it was there...anyway). I know it's a different air bag that goes with the steering wheel controls, but I'm wondering if it's as "easy" as taking off the current airbag, attaching the controls and then attaching the new airbag?

Has anyone done this or seen it done? I've seen posts where people were able to do it with a Sequoia, but haven't come across anything on the 4Runner. My main questions are:

1. Is this possible??

2. Is the steering column/wheel prewired for this? Is it as easy as mentioned above, taking off the air bag and putting in the controls and new air bag?

Any advice is appreciated.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    If you nave to buy a new airbag, it would probably be a lot cheaper to change the stock unit and buy one which has a remote control. You can use the remote in lieu of the steering wheel controls. Those airbags can get very, very expensive......
  • bjay2bjay2 Member Posts: 1
    You can look at an online owners manual by going to Toyota.com, click on "For Owners" link, then click on "Owners Manual" and register your vehicle.
  • blue_dog_playblue_dog_play Member Posts: 1
    i just had 2 a new starter put on my 94 4 runner. the motor is turning over but i wont start.
  • tech17tech17 Member Posts: 6
    You could tell when you get into the truck if it had water damage (mold smell) I have not heard of this problem I will checkThe dip stick is a commin problem the tube is easy to replace and im sure the selling dealer would replace before you take it home its caused from the oring being dry and swelling.
    Its the tire monator lite
    Get the truck scaned if its a misfire converter damage can accure big bucks
    You need to know if the trans fluid is world standard I beleave it is if there is no dip stick it is WS and needs no service until 100.000 mi If the injectors are bad the check engine lite will come on A good injector through the fuel tank will do I like the BG products at dealers only Coolant should be tested.
    Bank 1 means right side if it is a v6 You still need to know sensor 1 or 2
    When the alarm is sounding turn the drivers door lock (with the key) twice the alarm should disarm
  • rot10rot10 Member Posts: 1
    I am taking it too dealer on 26 May 2009 and they are telling me the 100,000 mile maintenance package is going to cost me $1,200. Any thoughts? Besides the Timing Belt should anything have to be changed. Thanx for any help....
  • 2006toy2006toy Member Posts: 6
    They typically suggest the water pump as well do to its location relative to the timing belt. I had both replaced @110K on a 1994 4-cly Honda Accord that lasted till 188K with no problems before I traded it in for the 2006 4Runner. I got tired of driving the Accord - it's probably still running. If you're not keeping it for a while, then maybe just replace the timing belt to save cost.
  • mjdennismjdennis Member Posts: 2
    I've 'inherited' a 1995 Toyota 4Runner and need to replace the rear bumper to pass inspection. We want to start with local junkyards, but we don't have many.
    Any easy way to tell what other year models have a (rear) bumper that could take the place of the '95?
  • julietjjulietj Member Posts: 15
    1990 - 1995 bumpers & bumper ends will fit your 1995 4Runner.
    If you can't find a junked one, they're also available as OE replacements at various auto body parts sites on line.
  • mjdennismjdennis Member Posts: 2
    First, thanks! (Although I was hoping for a bigger selection of recent years. Can't argue with reality, though!)
    Do you know what changed in 95 that makes later models different?
  • julietjjulietj Member Posts: 15
    1996 is the 3rd Gen of 4Runners, with a MAJOR redesign! It looks similar, but has an all-new body shell and chassis - instead of the truck it used to be, it shares a chassis with the Land Cruiser. There are interior changes and a new engine, too, which they put in all the the Tacomas at the same time.

My first 4Runner was a 1998, then I fell under the spell of the total redesign in 2003. I'll stick with this one until the end, though. And I still feel a bit wistful when I see the early trucks on the road ....
  • spacemanbobspacemanbob Member Posts: 2
    Outside rear wheel slips on my 1999 4 runner at low speed on dry pavement. Jerky motion... Is something wrong or do I have something engaged?
  • doug01doug01 Member Posts: 5
    I have seen and heard differing opinions on the auto trans fluid change on my 4runner. 60K miles and I just had all the diff's changed including the transfer case but haven't done the auto fluid. I heard 60k from one place, 100k from another. Any help is appreciated! Thanks...
    I would go based on what the owner's manual says. It has a Preventive Maintence System in the books, I would follow that.
  • dhaley89dhaley89 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Thompson5
    i have the EXACT same problem with my 2004 toyota sports edition 4x4...
    did you ever find a solution??
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    If your lucky enough to have purchased the Toyota Platinum extended warranty, the sunroof is covered.
  • sho3000ccsho3000cc Member Posts: 4
    Did they ever resolve/fix your rattle problem??? What did they do for it??? WAs the rattle heard at red lights and drive thrus with the 4runner in gear??? Thanks carno J
  • hwallerhwaller Member Posts: 1
    I have 1999 4-runner w 205,000 miles. Check engine light came on and the repair shop is wanting to replace Oxygen sensor, fuel filter, clean fuel injector and replace battery cable terminals and cable. $962.00

What do you think - Is it worth it. All items are original equipment.
    HWaller
  • kiddogokiddogo Member Posts: 14
    Have an '06 4Runner. Had a flat, put on the full spare and the tire sensor light will not turn off.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul
  • zombywufzombywuf Member Posts: 5
    The Tire Pressue Monitoring System (TPMS) is looking for the flat tire. It has a sensor in it. Fix the flat and put it back on the vehicle and the light goes out.
  • sho3000ccsho3000cc Member Posts: 4
    Seems the flat tire is still in close proximity to the truck. So the sensor is still broadcasting the low/flat tire signal. You have to fix the flat tire and get it to the correct pres to turn the light off. Or take the flat tire off the truck and keep it at home til it's fixed.. Good luck Cjj