Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• 2006toy2006toy Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2006 4Runner LTD V8 w/80,000 miles and no problems. Typically keep my vehicles for 12 years or 250K miles. Two questions;

1) I've always had the oil and filter changed every 3K on all my vehicles and they lasted forever. For the most part, I've changed the oil every 3k, but on the last couple of changes I've moved to 5k. The maintenance guide and the dealer mark oil changes at 5K. Should I stick with the ole fashion rule of every 3k or go with the 5k interval. Mostly highway miles with no towing.

2) I need to replace my original Michelin Cross Terrain tires due to 2 cuts that can't be fixed. Probably would have gone 90k without a problem. There are no Michelins in New England. Has anyone replaced the OEMs with General Tire Grabbers? Comments relative to the Michelins?
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    Changing oil at 3K is a waste of money IMHO! I have been changing oil every 5K on my '05 w/the V8 without any issues. SUV currently has 65K on it.

The Grabber has gotten good reviews. You might consider also the Nittos Terra Grappler if they are available in your area. The BFG All terrains are a safe choice as well.

There isn't a smoother quieter tire than the Michelins, so keep that in mind. However, just about every tire is cheaper than the Michelins as well!

Try www.tires-easy.com - They ship every where.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You might like this oil link too.
  • blesseuerblesseuer Member Posts: 12
    I have the same problem on my 2006.
    i actually had to put a new tire on it...and the rim is bent just slightly..but holding air fine. guys at shop said to just put the ever so slightly bent tire on back instead of front...but like still on. any ideas?
  • 4get4get Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 4runner. It's been sitting on my driveway for about 6 months with no one starting the engine. I replaced the battery today, the engine turns but will not stay on. Spark plugs/filter/old gas, I've read them all. Any REAL suggestion? I'm thinking of donation to a charity group, but if there is a real simple fix, I appreciate it.
  • drex1drex1 Member Posts: 41
    I am receiving a Check Engine light with a code of P0171 "System too lean (Bank 1)" on my 3.4L V6 '99 4Runner. I am wondering about the possible cause and solution.

Could this be caused by a poor fuel quality and me putting too great a demand on the engine? I recently began using the local Xxxx Gas 87 octane, which I’ve noticed has been “knocking” a lot lately (much more than usual). In this case, I had the A/C on, going up a big hill, trying to accelerate from a stop. I am wondering if I may have been asking too much from the engine with a poor grade of gas. I am thinking of trying another brand of gas for a while and moving go 89 octane to see if this changes the result. According to several web sites, one other possibility is that the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) is bad.

Any recommendations?
  • christopher68christopher68 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 4-runner v8 sport and recently it has been making a lot of grey smoke when I start it. It has around 80k ,miles. I don't know enough about engines to solve this problem so I'm lookin for some help.
  • 99_4runnerv699_4runnerv6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 toyota 4runner SR5 v6 engine that idles rough when stopped, but smoothes out when when i give it gas. My mechanic says it's one of my ignition coil. Changed that but the problem still persists. Now he says I need to change the other two ignition coils as well. Am I being shafted here?

Please comment.

Cheers
  • durangojaydurangojay Member Posts: 31
    Dude! I am so sorry not to have responded in a timely manner. I JUST saw your post today. I did indeed buy a 4Runner, although my post was so long ago I am not sure if it was the same one you're referring to. I work for Toyota as a Certified Sales and Leasing Consultant, read salesman, and found an absolutely cherry 4Runner that was on our lot for about 4 hours before I bought it outright. There were at least 4-5 other folks, salesman and customers alike, who wanted to buy it. It is a 2002 SR5, 78K miles, leather, running boards (which are coming off for rock-sliders) sunroof, rear air, R locker, black with Chrome Package. I did all my research on it, including original port manifest, and it originally retailed for almost 35K. I am the third owner and obviously I got an employee discount. My "out the door" price was $12,300, which included 7.9% tax and dealer-handling. My plates were about $175. The truck runs like a champ. I switched to fully synthetic oil (using only a genuine Toyota oil filter) and put in a new genuine Toyota air filter. I started out getting 17/19 mpg, but since have improved to a consistent 19 mpg around town and 21 mpg highway. Loaded or unloaded, doesn't seem to make a difference. I do a lot of off-roading and this truck is great. Good road manners too. Easily one of the nicest all-round vehicles I have ever owned. Couldn't be happier. I also put a new set of rubber on it, Yokohama Geolander A/T S's. After doing my research yet again, the best tire for the money for my use of it and quite capable off-road. I highly recommend this truck. If you can find one with even 100-120k that is in good shape for a fair price, I wouldn't hesitate on buying it. They are pretty much bulletproof. Hope this helps! :)
  • lara4lara4 Member Posts: 1
    Help! I have a 1997 hunter green 4runner 4x2 with 183,000 miles on it that my boys seriously put the body through heck. I am in love with 4runner ... do i restore it for about $4,000 or purchase a used one in better shape. Found a 1985 4x4 with 154,000 miles for $4800 in the white color I like and in great shape. Understand the 97' to be a great engine, same with 95?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You didn't mention how well your '97 runs. If it runs well, why not just give it to your boys (they can learn the responsibility of ownership and fix it up themselves) and you can get the '95 for yourself. You can also try to negotiate the $4800 price down. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • ramhemi03ramhemi03 Member Posts: 7
    I am experiencing the exact same problem with a 1999 4runner limited as I have read many others have with power locks. I just bought this truck and the dealer had already replaced the actuator. When I got the truck it would unlock every time and would only lock the doors occasionally. Now it does not lock at all, except manually and still unlocks with the door button or remote. I found on toyotanation.com a reply that sounds feasible, but I have not tried it yet. This person said to replace a fuse block that is under the steering column. Supposedly he did it himself and it fixed the problem. He mentioned that there are about 12 harnesses that have to be unplugged to get to the fuse block and also that there are 2 large fuses that would need to be replaced. It was mentioned that the part was approx $238 and the dealer wanted $260 to install it but he did it himself in about 1-1.5 hours. Does this sound right and can the average Joe do this?
  • svaladezsvaladez Member Posts: 1
    While driving home today, I opened the sunroof and it would tilt but not open all the way. I eventually opened it, without any weird sounds that I recall. Now that I'm home, the sunroof is midway and will not close. I tried holding the button for 10-15 seconds as some advised, and it opened all the way instead. I tried manually pulling the sunroof shut, but have not had any luck. Please help me!
  • hulk3hulk3 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2006 4Runner. Cranked veh and Check Engine light came on along with the VSC lights (VSC Off light, VSC Track light, and Veh icon light). Lights remain on while driving...2 days now. Veh runs fine. Have switched from 2wd to 4wd and back. No problems. I also checked all fluid levels due to Check Engine light coming on...all is well. Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions ? Thanks
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    I had this happen on my 2006. Since all the VSC lights were on I assumed it was some kind of fault, so I took it to the dealer. They told me it was because I hadn't put the gas cap on tight enough and charged me $50. I've always known that not tightening the gas cap would turn on the check engine light, but found it suspect it would also turn on ALL the VSC lights, but they were insistent that it would. I'm still not sure that was the problem, but it's never happened again since.
    5k mile oil changes with highway use is more than sufficient. I would recommend the BFGoodrich radial Long Trail if 2WD or the Rugged Trail if 4WD if used off road at all.
    For all of the 4 Runner owners that are having problems with the power locks that will unlock but not lock electronically. I found one person that actually sounded like he knew the fix, so I checked with a couple service techs and then bought the part and installed it myself and everything is working great. I do not know that it is the same part for all years but the 99 4runner part # is 8273035260. Toyota list is $259.95, I bought mine on line from Toyota of Richardson in Richardson, TX for $203 including S&H. I took about 45 minutes to an hour to install. The part is the tan colored fuse block at driver's left knee. Take panel off and 2 bolts hold fuse block in. There are 14 or 15 wiring harnesses plugged into the block. I numbered each one with a sharpie as I took them loose and numbered the new block accordingly. If I can do it, you can too.
    Don't forget to disconnect the battery while you are working on the fuse block.
  • mrmogwaymrmogway Member Posts: 1
    re: 01 4Runner. It developed a windshield leak that allowed water on fuse block. A day of steady rain made car alarm go off. I turned it off then started it up (just in case)no problem. A few hours later the battery was dead, had to jump start. FYI, I replaced battery and alternator within a week so they are good. I garaged the vehicle to dry block and removed the negative battery connection. I noticed that (with battery connected and doors closed) the door ajar light is faintly lit. Is this normal or an indication or other problems (that I can't think of). I made appointment for reseating windshield and will not let another drop of rain hit it until then. Thanks in advance.
  • ck1incck1inc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 04 4runner sport V6 with 80k..and for the past few months I've noticed the milage chage from 18/22..to 15/18..All maint has been up to date..and 4 new Mich cross train tires on it.What would make this happen?.what should the actual mpg be?
  • boulermanboulerman Member Posts: 1
    Where can I find wiring diagrams for my 2008 Toyota 4Runner.
    I am looking for shop manual caliber
    Thanks
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    The tires COULD be the cause. Do a search and find out how much the Cross Terrains weigh. Then do the same for your old tires. BTW-the CTs are an excellent tire. Very,very quiet and long lasting, smooth riding.

Good luck!
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    The Michelins are not the cause for an mpg loss. Welcome to winter gas formulations. You should have been seeing this every winter anyway.
  • rsmith8rsmith8 Member Posts: 47
    I also have an '04 4Runner SE, V8, 5sp automatic. At about 50,000 miles I went to the dealer expecting to get a preventative transmission fluid change but was told the WS grade transmission fluid did not need to be changed until about 90,000 miles. I'm sure you have observed there is no transmission dipstick to check the transmission level yourself. The dealer went on to explain that the transmission fluid change was more involved than you might think. There is a drain plug hole near the bottom of the transmission but it will only drain about half of the fluid if opened. An upper plug is to for the refilling process but can also be used to FLUSH the system which requires about 12 qts. of fluid to properly flush the system I was told. After talking to another garage, I decided to buy about 6 quarts of Toyota WS transmission fluid and let the garage simply drain what would drain and pump in enough fresh fluid to bring the level back to the upper drain plug. It requires a small 12v pump to pump the new fluid out of the containers and into the upper port. When fluid starts to run out, he put the plug back in, lowered the car and started the engine and engaged the transmission to D for a few minutes. Then, shut off the engine and raised the vehicle to check the level again using the upper port. It took about another quart to bring it back to the upper port level. This was a cheap way to replace a PORTION of the old fluid. 4Runner now has about 71K and no problems. However, next time, I'll have it flushed at the dealer. The 4Runner does NOT check the quality of the transmission fluid. Keep a watch for any leaking and if you are concerned about the fluid level, I think the only way is to open the upper tranmission port and check the level with your finger. It should be very near the bottom of the upper port's opening. Why Toyota couldn't have just put in a dipstick (which could also have been used for refilling or even to suck out the old fluid) is beyond me.
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    Does anyone know the oil element torque setting for the 2010 4Runner V6 4WD ?:

1. Oil drain bolt/plug (bolt to drain the 6.6 US qts of oil)
    2. Center cap drain plug (small O-ring to drain the oil from the Oil Filter element)
    3. Cap with Oil Filter Housing element (big O-ring to remove the Oil Filter housing element with the 65mm 14 flutes special service tool)

I called TCS and the Toyota dealership and got conflicting answers.
  • need_ans_plzneed_ans_plz Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new 2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 a few years ago, and am not sure if the four wheel drive system is working properly. When I first used it, I wasn't really paying attention to the indicator lights. I read the manually, and it says that when i turn the four wheel drive to the H4 position from H2 the indicator light should blink several times then stay on. I also click the center differential button, but that does nothing. Can someone help me
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    The car manufacturers are starting to feel that they do not want the owners to have access to the fluid level of the transmissions. There have been some problems caused by overfilling. I didn't think most people even opened their hood!

But I agree with you.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Going to H4 (unlocked) does turn a dash indicator to green. Locking the differential turns the indicator to yellow. If this isn't happening, then see the dealer. I'm doing this off of memory as I don't care to go outside at the moment to look at my dash.

Sounds like you've correctly interpreted the owners manual, so the vehicle may have an issue. Some of us early on found out the 4H took too long to engage and you'd be stuck before the 4wd actuated. The remedy was to leave it in 4H unlocked all the time.
  • warrebwarreb Member Posts: 20
    I just purchased, from the Toyota dealer, two oil filter elements for my new 4runner. Have not got under the car yet, but the instructions on the side of the filter box say "tighten cap to torque indicated on Cap top surface with SST" (SST = special service tool). Presume that means there are some torque specs that become visible when the piece is taken off. Further down on the side of the box, where the instructions refer to the small O-ring and bolt assembly, they call out a torque of 12.5 + or - 2.5 N-m (9.5 + or - 2 ft lbs).

Do you really need the SST? Or will one of the many faceted cartridge oil filter grabbing tools work?
    I have the generic metal oil filter grabbing tool, but I went to Wal-mart and purchased the SST (FRAM brand 65mm 14 flutes) for under $4.00 which is a hard plastic (the more expensive one is metal). I have not used it yet, but I did find the torque settings for the oil change (after I had to correct multiple times Toyota Customer Support providing me the incorrect info for the wrong engine type). Here are the torque settings for the oil change in a 2010 4Runner:

1. Oil drain bolt/plug (bolt to drain the 6.6 US qts of oil) 30 ft-lbs of torque
    2. Center cap drain plug (small O-ring to drain the oil from the Oil Filter element) 10 ft-lbs of torque
    3. Cap with Oil Filter Housing element (big O-ring to remove the Oil Filter housing element with the 65mm 14 flutes special service tool) 18 ft-lbs of torque

I had to buy the Craftsman torque wrench (5-80 ft-lbs), since the one I had was for higher torque setting (25-125 ft-lbs).
  • knaggs41knaggs41 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 V6 4runner and on random occasions when the 4runner is warm and only when I press the brakes the idle jumps between 500 and 1500 rpm like im reving the engine. I was wondering if anyone knew the cause of this doesn't effect the running its just really annoying.
  • pjc1pjc1 Member Posts: 72
    Quick question...

I have a 2010 4runner limited and brought into the dealer for an oil change at 5k miles as instructed in the owners manual. Service told me this truck has synthetic oil and should not be changed until 10K. I am somewhat concerned that I am not following the owners manual.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    I am also an owner of the 2010 4Runner Limited with NAV and I have done extensive research about the oil change subject. Yes, the owners manual does say every 5000 miles to change the oil, but I believe (not sure though) around February or later Toyota will distribute to the owners of the 2010 4Runner that was purchased in 2009 the change that will state the oil change to be done at every 10000 miles since it is a fully synthetic oil 0W-20. My suggestion is for the first oil change to be done at 5000 miles and thereafter at 10000 miles interval (i.e. 2nd oil change at 15k miles, 3rd oil change at 25k miles, etc.)

Below is a list of qualified Toyota vehicles for the 10k miles oil change interval:
    The notification, dated December 15, 2009.

The included vehicles are:
    2010 Toyota Camry (4 cylinder)
    2010 Toyota Prius
    2010 Toyota Tundra (small V8)
    2010 Toyota Sequoia (small V8)
    2010 Toyota FJ Crusier
    2010 Toyota 4Runner (6 cylinder)
    2010 Scion xD

For detailed info see also:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-care-maintenance-troubleshooting/- - 73815-some-2010-toyota-vehicle-oil-change-intervals-officially-revised-10000-mil- - es-1-year-verified.html#post1026148

http://priuschat.com/news/toyota-upping-oil-change-interval-10000-miles-2010-pri- - us-other-toyota-models
  • dgardner1dgardner1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2002 Toyota 4runner SR5 a few months ago and yesterday afternoon it started sputtering under load at low rpm's. It's been snowing and raining a few days now and I thought it might be a fuel issue or a electrical issue. Thoughts on problem solving to determine the issue? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Dan
  • drex1drex1 Member Posts: 41
    The solution - New Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. Replaced it and have not had a check engine light (or P0171 Code) or any problems since.
    Did you find out the issue or the dealership? What was the total cost in parts and labor?
  • atomsk2k2atomsk2k2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm haveing the same problem in my 4runner. You have a leak somewhere in the vacume line. My suggestion is to listen for a suck or a hiss. Then replace the hose where you heard the sound. If you can't find a sound, then ONE BY ONE (can't emphasize this enough) check each hose for cracking, tears or splits.
  • atomsk2k2atomsk2k2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm sporting a 90 4Runner with a 3VZ-E V6 and a manual tranny. Every time I try to lock in to 4WD the front diff dose not. I have checked all electrical connections the seem to be functioning properly. So then I checked the gear box for low fluid. Still full. I'm trying to see if there is a vacume leak. Thus far there seems to be nothing out of the ordinary. I'm starting to run out of ideas for simple solutions and just might be looking into more complicated and more expensive ones. If any one has any tips before hand let me know.
    One thing I have been thinking of is removing the ADD system and repalceing it with mannual "lock-ins".
  • 4runner2004sc4runner2004sc Member Posts: 6
    yes mine and many other 2004 4 runner has this issue. toyota put me off until my warranty ran out.. i opened a case a year into owning the truck and was told over and over by the dealer that it was normal for abs, until two days ago when another dealer informed me that it has aq bad master cylinder and wanted 3000 to repair it.. i think we need to unite everyone and get a file opened for a recall on this issue.. chefkelly99@gmail.com
    i filed with toyota a case a year into owning while under warranty as i was being told that my mushy brakes close to the floor were normal for abs.. i knew it was not true and i opened a case.. they sent me to the dealer again via toyota corporate and lied to me again stating it was normal.. after coming out of warranty and a year later of coping i had another dealer in another state look at it as they said it was a bleeding issue.. not true, it was determined by this dealer that i need a new master cylinder.. we need to unite all 04 owners with this issue and file a case to get this issue repaired as 3k is not acceptable after years of complaining and safety compromise.. i am in disbelief that after years and years of owning every generation of 4runner that toyota elected to lie about this issue to many people..i have blogged with a dozen or more so far with the exact issue.. chefkelly99@gmail.com
    toyota lied to me under warranty three times and said it was normal for abs and now i am being informed by another dealer that i have a bad master cylinder and my car is now out of warranty....at 3k to replace...any ideas? chefkelly99@gmail.com
    not alone.. my brakes on the 04 have been to the floor since i purchased the truck.. toyota lied to me until it was out of warranty stating they never had any other complints and that it was normal for abs.. i have been hearing this issue over and over.. i opened a case and they kept putting me off..now i am being told i need a new master cylinder at 3k to do the repair..also the ac dual zones will blow hot on the driver //actuator issues are also in large numbers...i think we should all unite..chefkelly99@gmail.com
  • rdv3773rdv3773 Member Posts: 1
    Tom, I have a 2008 4-Runner with the V8. When it sits for a week or more, on start up I get the most horrible banging knock for the first minute. It sounds to me like a defective lifter that is collapsing after sitting under spring pressure. It takes about a minute to pump up, then everything is fine.

It does not do it again until it has sat for a week or so. I have less than 20K miles on it. Sometimes it does not do it (probably when that lifter is not trying to open). My problem is that I spent $600 on the dealer manuals and the engine does not seem to have hydraulic lifters! Of course it is fine when I take it to the dealer.

Maybe we have the same problem... but, I am not sure what it is.
    Bob
  • yaroshyarosh Member Posts: 14
    just has "oil gasket" blow driving away from my 60,000 mile checkup ($700). brakes went, steering went, stopped dead on highway, almost got killed. gave them perfect car, got back dangerous vehiicle. dealership always super-reliable. thought overworked mechanic forgot to tighten oil filter or something. they said it was defective. i have done all maintenance, always in love with car, now wonder: what's the point of genuine toyota parts if they're going to be crap too? i read about people wanting to get 300,000 miles from a car. my previous experience with a ford ltd was as soon as i used aftermarket parts it was all over. now, is dishonest toyota "value engineering" defective parts to save money? if so, i was get rid of the car in a heartbeat and buy a german truck. anybody have any thoughts? anybody a dealer? thanks.
    Take a look at Nissan!
  • 4runmann4runmann Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    I suspect that I overpaid for dealer service on my 2000 Toyota 4Runner here on Long Island, NY.

I had a driveability issue. Occurring months apart, the vehicle stalled twice while driving. The second time I figured I would have the vehicle inspected. My local Toyota service center had shut down last year, so I went to the closest one.

The service rep reported that I needed the following;
    Replace Mass Air flow sensor: $468.98 (276.00 labor; 192.98 parts)
    With the above, they said the following was mandatory:
    Throttle Body serice - $186.99 (125.00 labor; 61.99 parts)
    Finally, they said my ignition wires were not Toyota. That was strange to hear.
    They replaced the wires for $184.37. (105.95 labor; 78.42 parts)

Total bill: $840.34 plus tax.

I gave them the go-ahead and the car was ready for pickup within two hours or less. Reading the bill in detail afterward, that two hour window of labor ran: $506.95. That sounded like a lot, considering that all the work might have been done by one technician. Parts pricing is suspicious, as well. And maybe the throttle body service stated as mandatory might not have been.
  • canuck4runnercanuck4runner Member Posts: 1
    When I am driving and turn even slightly the steering wheel column squeaks? any ideas on what this could be, lubrication?

Thanks
  • fleckfleck Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 4Runner and lately the drivers side rear wheel has been locking up due to the fact that the park brake actuator continues to tighten the pads against the drum. Obvioulsy it is supposed to adjust the tension everytime the park brake is activated but the problem is that it continues to do so until the wheel siezes. Is something wore out or do I need to replace something? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Brad
  • japfanjapfan Member Posts: 4
    I own a 1998 toyota 4runner SR5. The dashboard lights go on and off intermittently. If I tap on the dash where the lights are located, such as the area where the heater controls are located, the lights will sometimes come back on. I was just wondering if anyone else has this annoying problem and what might be causing this. It looks like a pain to tear the dash apart to fix this if I have to replace the bulbs.
  • japfanjapfan Member Posts: 4
    Can someone please tell me what the goofy spoiler looking thing does on the back of my 4runner? What will happen if I remove it? I am always looking for ways to get better gas mileage out of this pig. I am getting about 16 mpg highway now, which I guess is about normal for a 98 4runner with the V6 auto.It does have 204000 mi. on it so I guess I should be happy it is running! Thanks for any help.