Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

1444546474850»

Comments

• dsc3507dsc3507 Member Posts: 2
    There are two sensors, one before the cat. conv. and when after. In my case the one before was bad and I replaced it myself and after reseting (disconnecting and reconnecting the battery) it was fine. This is one of the biggest dealer ripoffs there is. The part was around $130 and the time to put it in was around 20 minutes and that was jacking the car up and getting under it, not on a lift. In any event it should not be more than 30 minutes of labor but I am sure they milk it to an hour or more. Might even be easier than changing some of the light bulbs in cars. In my mind a reasonable rate would be around $200. They get the part for less than you do even on the Internet.

Most auto stores will scan and give you a readout for free. It should tell you whether it is the front or rear sensor. Both are about the same cost and time to repair.

If you are not able to do it yourself you are at the mercy of the crooks. Maybe you can fine a local mechanic that is more reasonable. These sensors last about 100K miles or so, sometimes less. I replaced one in my Outback at 75K. This business of doubling the retail cost of the part for the job is ridiculous. Parts costs have nothing to do with labor costs especially with all the technology in cars today.

A smart mechanic could make a lot of money on these jobs cutting into the dealers ripoff prices! Good luck.
  • ssherma5503ssherma5503 Member Posts: 1
    What is the harm of leaving things as they are, other than not having the use of the warning lights? In other words, does it hurt the car to drive it with these lights on?
  • whitey975whitey975 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 4Runner v6 4wd. Recently I have been experiencing some "skipping" from the engine, mainly when accelerating through the first couple gears, but also at other times while driving. Engine light is not on. Also when the car is idle, the RPMs move slightly up and down, as if I'm pressing the gas slightly every couple seconds.

This didn't start until after I had some sort of oxygen sensor replaced (can't remember exactly what it was). After that I had a guy check it out and he hooked up the computer to it and said I needed to replace the throttle position sensor. Did that and no change. Had the Toyota dealer check it out and they say that I have the wrong spark plugs (have single ground, need double ground) and after-market plug wires that should be replaced. Also said I have an oil leak in one of the gaskets.

Could the spark plugs be what's causing the skipping? Any other thoughts? Thanks.
  • ben106ben106 Member Posts: 2
    I bought it for the look. Good ground clearance, fat tire... Only to realize that the front IFS was the worst off-road enemy. Not to mention the hard core people laugh about its ability. Plus differential ratio so low breakage is imminent when the thing get rough. Lack of torque and momentum in the rough. A real joke! Car engine with asthma...
  • ben106ben106 Member Posts: 2
    The engine is a car base with timing belt (a shame for a truck). WARNING: Not intended for hard use but as a look alike. Dont count on dealer, has they denied any problem.
  • mike4309mike4309 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all, I have a 98 4Rnr. It has a sunroof. I have noticed water leaking in to the rig - it looks like it doesn't always leak in through the same window. Looks like I'll need to spend this Saturday applying a sealer to theall of the window gaskets. My question is what sealer type and what technique works best for this task. Thanks in advance for your advice, knowledge and experience with this problem. :confuse:
  • heatherfrankheatherfrank Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 4runner, v6, 4wd. have had it about a couple months now, engine has been replaced prio to me purchasing it. have all the records for it, runs really good. the vehicle shut off on me a week and half ago idling in traffic, started right back up, drove fine, and has not done it since. Any ideas??
    Also, the truck has a dull whining on acceleration and while idling, all fluids are full and clean. The Power Steering was low and i filled it, the noise isnt as noticable, but still there. Could this be the problem? Thank you!
  • booms36booms36 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Guys,

My 1994 4Runner has 250,000 miles on it and I'm at the point now where i can keep it running but as soon as i fix one part, something else wears out. Here's how it started.....

I began noticing a constant ticking in the engine that sounded metal tapping on metal. The ticking sped up as the RPMs increased when i accelerated, and over the course of a couple of months it gradually got louder and more persistent, even at a mere idle.

As the ticking got worse, the engine started to lope when i accelerated. The RPMs jumped around while I accelerated and it felt like it was sluggish, skipping and misfiring and such.

Then, I was passing a Semi on the interstate using moderate acceleration and i heard a loud (ping?) under the hood and the ticking stopped completely, but then i noticed an immediate loss in horsepower. Thankfully, I reached my exit and made it home. I had been driving at highway speeds for about 2 hours at that point.

The next morning, after the engine cooled and the overnight temperature dropped into the 40's I tried to drive it again. It started right up, but the engine sounded horrible, like there were rocks banging around under the hood, and it was backfiring all over the place. I tried to accelerate and with the pedal to the floor it only wanted to go about 5 mph and it was barely able to accelerate at all.

The exhaust was thick and blue, and a neighbor (who seemed like he knew a thing or two) said he could tell by the smell of gas in the exhaust that it was an ignition problem.

I'm not sure if I've been describing symptoms of multiple problems, or if they're all related to one central issue. Also, I own the Hayne's Repair manual for this vehicle, but I am young and I only have basic toolbox tools, not mechanic's tools, and I don't even know where to start in the troubleshooting section because of all the symptoms. I was hoping someone out there could tell me where to check first for an issue, and whether or not anyone else has had this same problem.

I drive this 4Runner everywhere I need to go, including school and work, so a timely response to my post would be greatly appreciated so I can begin working on it.

Thanks Y'all
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    Sounds bad, maybe a blown head gasket maybe worse.
  • royallenroyallen Member Posts: 227
    If the plugs and plug wires are not recently changed, this would be an inexpensive way to eliminate these as a cause for poor ignition. You can remove all plugs, then crank the engine to see if the head gasket is leaking water into a cylinder-it could squirt out the plug hole. Also look for water droplets in the oil. Your manual should have pictures of abnormal spark plugs to compare to yours for sources of trouble.
    If these are not helpful, you need a knowledgeable mechanic. Maybe your neighbor can help with this as well. Royallen
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you were recently denied auto warranty coverage for a surprising reason, please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, January 9, 2013 to tell your story to a reporter.
  • eddiearnieddiearni Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I lent my 4R to someone who drove it for far too long (12,000 miles) and caused a number of problems. (The truck had 216,000 miles when she borrowed it).

I'll share the electronic problem.

Note that I first discovered an enormous coffee stain all over the instrument panel.

Basically, the lights on the climate control part of the control panel (the knobs and indicators for defrost, vent, recirc, etc.) don't work. And neither do the lights on the strip next to the shifter knob ( P R D 1 2). And neither does the "cigar lighter". The light in the ash tray doesn't work either. And neither does the light in the glove box.

The stereo works and so does the AC switch. And, all the lights on the right hand instrument panel ( MPH, coolant temp, etc.) work as well.

Any advice about troubleshooting and repair?

Thanks!
  • boats3boats3 Member Posts: 42
    Did you check the bulbs? There are little light bulbs behind the climate control dials. I would also think that there are light bulbs in the other areas of concern.
  • eddiearnieddiearni Member Posts: 2
    Is it likely that the little bulbs would all go out at once?
    If you know where the passenger compartment fuse/relay block is located (typically to the left of the steering column and covered by a removable trim panel) then examine the diagram labels to look for a blown fuse serving the items not working.
    Solving problems beyond replacing a single failed bulb or two or blown fuse are likely to be beyond most owners ability unless you have the wiring diagram and considerable expertise or it involves something you installed like trailer wiring. Royallen
  • foxyesqfoxyesq Member Posts: 26
    edited January 2013
    I have a 2005 4Runner V8 Limited with almost 88,000 miles. Toyota recommends replacing the timing belt at 90,000 miles. My local dealer quotes $1,600 to replace the timing belt (which is apparently an extensive job and also include replacing the water pump) but offered me 20% off, bringing the price to $1,280. A trusted local mechanic said that the job calls for 12 hours of "book labor" and that the dealer's price is not that bad -- especially since it includes a loner vehicle for the days that car is in the shop and a car wash, which is always appreciated.

I am also close to needing new tires, a new battery, an oil change and new air filter. All of these items will run somewhere between $2,500 -$3,000.

I looked at replacing the 4Runner (thinking BMW X5 diesel) and have been offered $10,500 on a trade, which I think is close to fair (with tax savings that makes the vehicle worth $11,235 towards the purchase of the new car).

This 4Runner has been my absolute favorite car, ever. Other than routine maintenance, I have had no problems and have put no money into this vehicle. However, I am reluctant to pay the equivalent of 25% of the value of the vehicle just to maintain an 8 year old car with close to 90,000 miles.

With this in mind, is it time to say good by to my beloved 4Runner ("Daddy's Blue Truck") or should I do the maintenance and hope that I continue to experience the same go anywhere in any weather reliability that I have experienced over the past 8 years?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    I think doing the maintenance will probably add almost that amount to the worth of the car. Plus, while that might be a fair wholesale offer, a nice 4Runner would be worth more than that to me..

If you like it, I'd keep it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• njbennynjbenny Member Posts: 1
    Can someone help me?
    My 1998 4runner has 138000 miles and lately the shif handle it rattle a lot while I'm driving.
    If I hold it with my hand the noise stop, is there any way that I could fixed my self?
    Thanks.
    It is possible, but not easy. The difficulty is between that of changing disc brake shoes and replacing a timing belt. The source is wear if non-metallic spacing parts, usually bushings or washers that maintain the connection if the shift lever to a rod or cable connected to the transmission. The way it works is fairly simple and understandable on inspection. The difficulty is you need access to see and determine the faulty part, some skill to disassemble, replace and reassemble the shift linkage. A Haynes or Chilton manual for your 4Runner will show what the linkage looks like and some steps regarding access. You also can use the internet by searching on youtube for "shift lever rattle" and see examples of similar repairs shown and discussed by video. Royallen
  • dnoscdnosc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 4Runner, v6. I plugged a power inverter into the cigarette lighter to charge my cell phone and immediately the stereo, clock, and electric mirror control went out. I've checked all the "regular" fuses and they look fine, but one could be damaged and I cannot tell. There are also some block fuses, but I wouldn't know how to tell if they're blown.

Does anyone know which fuse controls these functions?
  • danieladahliadanieladahlia Member Posts: 1
    I am having a problem with my key fob unlock . Wasn't sure if this was similar to your problem. No one know how to fix it. My inside unlock button works but my key fob will not unlock my 2002 4runner anymore. My key fob locks and my rear window button works. Only having issues with my unlock. Can you tell me if the fuse block might fix this? Thanks
  • voltonevoltone Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 and I never followed the the book for maintenance and I have over 110,000 on it and most all the warning lights are lit like a Christmas tree! It runs just fine. I could never afford Toyota garages and their prices so I just avoided them and used Amsoil exclusively and had no problems. It is hungry for gas though and I am thinking about converting it to electric power. If anyone can give me some idea of cost or about doing it myself it would be appreciated.