Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jholt28jholt28 Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 4Runner limited leans to the left about a half inch. The District Service Manager in the southeast says that this is normal and nothing needs to be corrected. Does anyone else have a similar situation?
  • allen42allen42 Member Posts: 12
    What will the effect be on my 2000 4runner for using 85-86 octane gasoline. I seem to have an engine rattle everytime I go up a hill or start off from the stop light. Any help on fixing the problem? I use arco while i'm home. 87 octane.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    The 'leak' may just be from the A/C. If so, it is no problem. Mine drips a bit, but I live in a low humidity area. Try running without the A/C and see if it still drips. Also, rub your finger in the fluid and smell it. If there is any gas or oil smell, take it to the dealer.
  • tangmantangman Member Posts: 127
    If I ignore the noise, should it slow down smoothly or very jerky. By that I mean, it comes almost to a stop, then releases and goes fairly fast until it engages again. I simply do not know what is normal. I thought that it might make noise but slow down smoothly, not go between 1 and 5 mph intermittenly.
    If it leaks immediately (within 15 seconds after starting), it most likely is not the air conditioning. It could be a disconnected, wiper/washer hose. If it leaks after running a short time,it is most likely the airconditioning. The airconditioning some times is turned on automatically under certain conditions. Per another post, check the fluid to confirm that it is water. When you say start, has the truck set not being run for at least 4 hours. If you restart when hot, the air conditioning may drip considerable water especially in humid environment. This is based on my experiences, however, keep in mind I am not an expert.
  • jeannejeanne Member Posts: 2
    hello.... I'm in the market for a mid-size SUV used for delivering fragile items (wedding cakes, individual boxed desserts, etc). The second row seats fold flat, which is what I very much need in an SUV; but the ledge that fits over the wheelwell in the cargo area is a problem. Has anyone successfully removed it? I can see going over a bump with a wedding cake in the cargo area... and oops - there goes the top of the cake! I've had to rule out Pilot, Highlander, MDX, BMW, Volvo, Explorer, etc because of the second row seat (not folding completely flat) and I refuse to buy another Grand Cherokee. So any ideas are appreciated! Thanks, Jeanne
  • 4rnr4rnr Member Posts: 25
    jholt28 do a search for messages that start at message 8514 and run through 8536 for reference to leaning 2003 4Runners in the main 4Runner Forum. Message 8516 is the first set of measurements(mine) followed by message 8520 for another members #'s. There has been no change in my lean still 1/4" lower on the driver's side when it has sat for awhile but the lean disappears after the 4Runner has been driven. Strange but true I've measured it immediately after and the 1/4" difference from side to side in the front is gone. I have read on other Toyota forums about this same problem and even on some Lexus forums in which GX 470 owners have noticed the same issue.
  • toyboxxtoyboxx Member Posts: 150
    jeanne,

If you mean the double deck cargo system then yes, the cargo deck can be removed easily. But if you are just buying it now, just don't get that option.
  • splitorsplitor Member Posts: 8
    In reply to post #522. I think I know what you mean by the odor. I have a 2001 Lexus IS300. It does the same "odor" thing everytime I depress the gas panel all the way to the floor for sudden rev up the engine. Does it smell like rodden egg? I don't know what is causing the rodden egg smell, but I turn the air circulator to RECYCLE instead of FRESH. The smell disappeared. It seems like the smell comes from the engine compartment/exhaust. Try to switch it to RECYCLE the cabin air to see if it helps.

#522 of 571 Re: odor coming from the dashboard vents [toyboxx #521] by bhamm31 Jun 29, 2004 (7:49 pm)
    If the condensation smells that putrid there must be some awful gunk inside the ducts. It happens at no specific interval. You go for a couple days with nothing then yesterday we were out for 40 minutes and got hit 3 times. Each episode lasts about 30 seconds to a couple minutes. My wife said this morning it did it when she was on her way to work and it seems to be happening more frequently and longer. It almost seems to me as if something is leaking into the one of the ducts in the back of the engine compartment. We are bringing it back in to the dealer tomorrow. I don't have very high expectations but I'll let you know what happens.
  • mikey2003mikey2003 Member Posts: 5
    I just test drove 2004 4runner Sport & SR5 v6 models. The trucks were brand new, with less than 10mi. I was diappointed with the amount of drive vibration occuring after 60mph. Most people claim that the 4runner is a very smooth ride. I noticed much more vibration when driving in 2WD vs 4WD modes. I test drove other SUV's like Ford Escape, and noticed the other test drives were very smooth rides. Can anyone explain the 4runner vibration?
    Hi:

Can you be more specific with the vibration description? Is it only in the steering wheel or does the whole car vibrate. I have a 2004 V8 and I notice some vibration only through the steering wheel. The truck itself does not vibrate beyond certain situation through the steering wheel. I can only speak relative to my experiences which involve the v8.
  • slarryslarry Member Posts: 19
    I have been waiting on the 05's to come out... waiting on a lease to expire. I test drove a 04 V-6 and a V-8. The V-8 had a vibration in the front that was hard to distinguish between wheel balance or drive-train problem. This is almost enough to scare me away. I had a Toyota P/U about 10-years ago that had vibration problems in the rear end that never went away and forced me to sell the otherwise great truck. The 4-R, both of them, were very nice but why so many problems with vibrations from such a reputable manufacturer? I could live with some of the issues that others have mentioned but not a "wheel shaking" drivetrain.

Another issue are the radios...even the best one with 6 disc changer sounds like a Wal Mart stereo. Certainly no where near my current Monsoon system. Also why no side air (curtain) bags that don't come bundled with other options? I will definitely take a closer look at the 2005 competition, much more than I previously thought. I mentioned all of these concerns to the Sales Mgr and he just kept changing the subject on how few complaints they have. These people must believe that no one shares info on these forums.
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    If you already have the cargo system, lower the system . The center piece that holds the connectors to support the cargo system in its up-right position can be removed . It works sort of like a toilet paper holder. Push it in on the ends and it comes right out. I got rid of mine that way.
      You now should have an unobstructed flat area to the rear of the driver and passenger seats.
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    I ordered an 04 V8, Sport 4X4, in Feb, and took delivery in Apr. The only option it has is the side curtain air bags. I ordered it without a sunroof, due to headroom issues, plus I don't use it. I now have 9000 miles on it, with no vibration, no smells, and only an occasional, slight looseness in the driver's seat. Dealers don't like to order this sort of car; they would rather sell what's in stock, and you can't really blame them. I don't know where you are located, but my dealer is Toyota of Boone, in Boone, NC. If you need more details - e-mail me.
    Cheers
    Pat
  • okianokian Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I was wondering on how I can replace my right turn signal headlight? I am wanting to replace the bulb and needed to know what tools are necessary. Thanks!
  • rvalc43594rvalc43594 Member Posts: 31
    Check the manual you have.
  • slandyslandy Member Posts: 46
    Well everything went well.The smell is gone and I am happy once again.
  • littlelittle Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2003 4 runner SR5 and had it for about 10 months when I had to tow it in for servicing. Basically, the car would accelerate fine and then decelerate and idle. This occurred three times on my way home on the freeway and had to roll to the side of the freeway, turn off the engine and wait until it would start up again. The car would only go in the lowest gear. Supposedly the throttle had to be replaced. Has anyone experienced this problem? Also I experienced rusting in the rivets of the gas tank that had to also be fixed?
    I haven't had any of acceleration problems on my 2003 SR5, but what is "rusting in the rivets of the gas tank?" How did you see or find that?
  • mud7mud7 Member Posts: 6
    Maybe I'm missing it in my owner's manual, or maybe.. heaven forbid.. it was designed this way, but my '03 V8 puts out a beeping alarm when I switch to low range.
    Can anyone out there provide some insight into this ? ..Can't concentrate on the road with that racket going on..
    Also, it doesn't seem like rig's actually IN lo range, so maybe I'm not pushing all the right buttons! Help!
  • djlandkpldjlandkpl Member Posts: 11
    Check to make sure DAC is not activated.
  • 3toyboy3toyboy Member Posts: 30
    Are you "shifting on the fly?" If so,
    1) come to a stop
    2) shift into neutral
    3) push and turn the dial clockwise to engage 4lo
    4) put 'er back in drive and go

You'll feel the difference (shifts are more abrupt) and hear the difference (no beeping to tell you you aren't yet engaged in low gear).
  • littlelittle Member Posts: 2
    When I opened the gas door, the rivet that hold the hindge was rusted.
  • sconisconi Member Posts: 4
    Regarding the DRL procedure, I've been unable to remove the non-DRL relay from the fuse block. I've tried the small screwdriver method described in an earlier post, but it still will not budge. I'm reluctant to force anything, for fear it will break. If anyone has successfully done this, do you have any other suggestions or tips for this? Thanks!!
  • 4runnerchic4runnerchic Member Posts: 1
    I have had three 4Runners. My first one was a 1993 (loved it, a 1996 (hated it), and a 2000 (pretty happy with it.)

My complaint is that on both the 1996 and the 2000, my automatic antenna quits working! I hear the motor and the clicking, but the mast stops wherever it is at and that's it! QUITS! Is this a manufacturer's defect? Are they only good for so many uses, or what?

Toyota is on CRACK! They want $500 to replace the whole thing.. I may be a chic, but I can figure it out myself! As long as I can hear the motor, do I just need to purchase the mast ($42) or the whole motor and everything?

Any help would be great!
  • biglatkabiglatka Member Posts: 78
    The same thing happened with both my 1986 Celica GTS and 1988 4Runner. The Celica didn't come up anymore, but clicked away, so I replaced the whole unit with a regular antenna that had a detachable mast (for the car wash and the like). The 4Runner stopped working at the top, so I just left it that way. My 2004 4Runner has the antenna in the glass.

If you can't fix it easy enough, I'd replace it with a manual unit and save your money. Or you could always look if you could adapt an aftermarket substitute.
    On mine, if you shift into low 4x4 without the transmission in neutral, it will make a beeping noise on the V-8. You must have it in neutral for it to work, or it just beeps. I don't know your situation, but this is an example of something that I have experienced that has similar symptoms.
    Hi:

The mask is replacable usually without disambling or replacing the whole unit. Most antenna's have a gear track on one side. If the antenna come totally out the fix is not too bad. Otherwise, it can be chanllenging.
  • gsj3gsj3 Member Posts: 20
    My 2003 Sport Edition's engine compartment has many fasteners and brackets that show signs of corrosion. It appears as a white crusty residue similar to road salt. This effect is worse around the oil dip stick. I had to pull very hard just to get the dip stick out to check oil level and now it won't go back in because the O-ring on stick will not get past the corrosion on the tube...great,this is why I left American products and paid 30K for this crap! The balancing weights on my wheels are rusted! There are two screws holding the trailer electrical connector bracket under the rear bumper, one is this white corrosion color...the other is...you guessed it...rusted!Throw that on top of a cracked windshield, ticking V6, crappy headliner, delicate dash gauges...why didn't I buy another Explorer? The deal I could have gotten last summer. Has anyone else seen this corrosion? Thanks!
  • 69mach169mach1 Member Posts: 60
    The engine compartment on my 2003 Sport V-8 got dirty very quickly after I bought it. Upon further examination, I noticed that there were several holes in the fender aprons that was letting road debris come in from the tires below. I went to a auto body store and bought an assortment of body plugs and plugged up the holes in the aprons. That helped a lot, so you might try that to help with your under hood corrosion problems.

My headliner is being replaced as the felt covering was damaged by previous attempts to fix the rattles in the sun roof, so we'll see what happens there. I agree too about the gauges, the first time I took a feather duster to them I saw scatches on the lenses.

Do you live in the rust belt? If so maybe you need to do the under carriage when you wash your car, that might help with your corrosion other issues.

Good luck.
    I too, see all of the holes in the fenders under the hood. I wonder why they do that? Anyway, I want to plug them as well, just to keep the dirt out. Can you tell me what to ask for with regard to "body plugs" and where you find such a thing? Would I find something like that at an auto parts store? Did you have have to buy all different sizes? How much did they cost? Thanks.
    Right after delivery ( thanks to this forum), I went over the underhood area of my new Sport V8 4x4, and used small bits of duct tape to close up all the open holes in the underhood area. It's still as clean as new, after 9500 miles.
  • slandyslandy Member Posts: 46
    I purchased the plugs at my dealer. They are black rubber plugs. If you look at the pass side of the firewall you will see some of those plugs. Take one out and go to your dealer. They were about a dollar a piece. I have plugged every hole under my hood, I can go through hellacious puddles and I am dry.
    In regards to your car corroding. Where do you live? Unfortunly our cars are not built using 100% stainless steel.
    Great idea with the duct tape. My 4Runner is silver, so I will even have a color match. Otherwise, I am going to the dealer today for an oil change. If they have rubber plugs, I'll buy a few.
    My 04 Sport 4x4 has some steering wheel vibrations that are random. The rest of the vehicle does not vibrate. I noticed some other posts on this subject. Has anyone characterize the problem more thoroughly. I want to take it in for service, but the problem is not always repeatable.

Also, on the vehicle decent, mine is very jerky although it does slow it down. Has any one else experienced this problem?
    This "jerkiness" you are experiencing, may be the transmission downshifting to save brake wear, and avoid brake overheating. I live in a mountainous area, and mine does this all the time.
    I went to a paint and body supply store here in Denver (Painter's Supply in Englewood) and bought body plugs in assorted sizes. Burt Toyota didn't carry any body plugs for the fender aprons.
    Thanks for the info. I ended up using the duct tape idea. Worked like a charm. I cut the tape with a razor knife so it looks neat. Just want to keep the mud and water out of the engine bay. This truck is awesome on 4WD trails!
    I used a "Marine Goop" to plug the holes in my 4Runner fender wells. It forms a perfect seal, is clear in color, and filled the holes flush with the surface. Not noticeable at all. The plugs will last the life of the truck but could easily be removed if necessary. Silicone caulk should work fine too (I believe it can now be purchased in colors).
  • freeflightfreeflight Member Posts: 12
    The smell starts Monday and goes really bad now. Initially I noticed it after I parked the car with windows closed for a few hours. Now the car smells really bad after close the window for a few minutes. Both case enigne not running. I either use the A/C or let the window open when driving. The smell seems get away.

I feel it smells like rather like bad fish than sulfur or bad eggs.

The car is 4 Runner SR5 4WD, with only 4,000 miles. I washed my car and cleaned the inside. Let the window open for a hour. It doesn't help. The smell seems in the air. :(

Could this be the sulfur problem? How do I get rid of the smell?

Thanks,

Kevin
  • dlxraydlxray Member Posts: 3
    Tangman, I have a 2004 V6 Limited 4Runner with the same shaky steering wheel. I have gone back to the dealer 3x and they found NOTHING wrong. I even drove a newer 4Runner off the lot and it shakes worse than mine. I notice it as being really bad between 59 and 65 mph. I was going to begin a buy back process but after reading other instances on the web, people have lost their cases because Toyota says this is not a problem. I have had the wheels balance 3 separate times to no avail. Good Luck with your shake, I think I'm stuck with mine!!
    What brand of tires are on your 4Runner?
  • glb5glb5 Member Posts: 39
    I KNOW THIS SOUNDS REAL STRANGE BUT THE SPEED AT WHICH THE STEERING WHEEL SHAKES IS IN THE 1700 TO 1900 RPM RANGE WHICH I THINK IS A INHERENT UNBALANCE IN THE ENGINE, WHICH BY THE WAY ALL ENGINES ARE AT SOME RPM UNBALANCED. ANOTHER THING, WHEN YOU FEEL THE SHAKE I BET IF YOU GRAB THE STEERING WHEEL AT THE BOTTOM AND NOT AT THE TOP YOU WON'T FEEL THE SHAKE AT ALL.
  • kodenamekodename Member Posts: 141
    My daughter has a simular problem with her 04 4Runner. It was fine during the cold season when she took delivery.The smell is akin to a stale wet washcloth and it goes away after a minute of running. The smell is from the air vents.The Toyota dealer told her to keep the recycle air off and that has made no difference in the odor problem. Those who made earlier posts with simular problems makes me wonder how you made out and can you give me any advise. Bill C.
  • ramza39ramza39 Member Posts: 23
    Hi, I am planning to buy a SUV, it will be either a Highlander or a 4Runner. Can someone please give me some advices or point out the problems you are experiencing with this truck? Thanks!
  • jefrejefre Member Posts: 1
    i just purchased a 2004 4-runner and am experiencing a vibrating steering wheel. the dealerships service manager examined it and said all was ok and nothing is wrong. i've owned six 4-runners over a 15 period previousely and never had this problem, i believe its an enginering problem that toyota is either unaware of or just won't admit. additionally, they let me test drive two other 4 runners to test if they too demonstrated this vibration and behold they also had the vibration? good luck, contact me if youd like at jefre1@msn.com, jef
  • chimay1chimay1 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone used a TRD Oil filter for a 2003 4Runner V8 and if so what model#? My Dealer refused to put on a 00602-90915-004 they said it was the wrong filter however TRD say's it is the correct filter. Some web sites say that is the correct # others say it should be 00602-90915-007 does anyone have any experience with this?
    Dennis
  • giblergibler Member Posts: 2
    Is there any one with a 2004 SR5 V6 4 Runner that has had a problem with the Check Engine light coming on? I purchased my 2004 V6 4Runner March of this year and have been to two dealerships here in New York and Florida. The dealership here in New York (where i purchased it) claimed it was an oxygen sensor. Replaced the sensor and the Warning light came on as i headed down to Florida. Returned to New York dealership number two claimed it was a MAP Air Flow Sensor that was defected. Changed the sensor, light came on again heading down to Florida last week. Went to dealership in Florida and they scanned the sensors and couldnt find anything wrong. If there are any 4Runner SR5 V6 owners out there that has experienced this problem please let me know.
  • coolpop36coolpop36 Member Posts: 65
    I have an 04 Limited V6 and mine rides as smooth as glass - no vibration, no shaking steering wheel. I test drove 3 different Runners and noticed that on one test drive, one of the vehicles that had the Dunlops had some vibration/shimmy in the steering wheel. Luckily, my truck came with the Michelins and I've had zero problems.

Of course, and this has been discussed before, 4Runner tires should be balanced using the Hunter 9700 Force Variation balancer. This is pretty much the only machine that will solve the problems. I had a 2000 Limited 4Runner that vibrated and shook from day one. I went to 3 different dealers and none could solve the problem. I even bought new tires and wasted my money like an idiot. Talk about frustration - I had a brand new truck, nobody can solve the problems and I'm ready to kill someone. I finally went to Discount Tire because I did some research and read about the Hunter 9700 and found out that Discount Tire used that machine. Bingo, problem solved. It turned out that two of the wheels were slightly warped. Toyota covered them under warranty.

Now, I ONLY go to a shop that uses the 9700 when I get my tires rotated and balanced.

Hope that helps. If you need more info, I think the web site is hunter.com or something like that.
    I need to buy a 25 - 30 foot extension ladder. Anybody used the roof racks on their 4-Runners to get one home? Owner's manual says not carry anything over a 120 lbs, so I should be okay there.

I plan on using some old carpet on the cross rails and tie the ladder down with bunggy cords. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.