Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    If the noise is low-pitched, booming, and presists for a minute or two, it's probably piston slap. If more clattery and goes away more quickly, then it's probably something in the valve train such as cam chain tensioners or lifters.

Probably not a consolation, but I bought a V6 Pathfinder ten years ago that made cold-engine piston slap noise from day 1 - it went 60K before I sold it without any problems. So it's not typically a huge reliabilty concern. At the time, I thought it was normal cold engine noise, but an experienced mechanic later diagnosed it as classic piston slap.

BTW, I bought the vehicle new, but the dealer traded with another to get the color and options I wanted and when it showed up, it had nearly 300 miles on it. I was not happy but I did the deal anyway. So abuse during the break-in might have been the problem.

I now avoid buying cars with high demo miles and avoid having dealers find cars on other dealers' lots. I either want a zero-mile car fresh off the truck or one that is sitting on the lot locally so I can drive it myself and confirm how it runs.

- Mark
  • simbahsimbah Member Posts: 9
    p53mustang
    Thanks for the advice with the locksmith alteration(which I may be reproducing as well).
    The dealer informed me that the transponder and master key codes could be reprogrammed, thus eliminating the use of the stolen valet key. So in theory even though the valet key will still engage the driver door and trunk cylinder, the doors will still remain locked due to mismatched code signal. So I had this done at a cost of $230.00 including new valet key. I'm still a little dubious about it to say the least..and may have the keys physically altered ultimately.

Cheers and thanks again
  • tomh12tomh12 Member Posts: 240
    Thanks, Mark.
    The noise does last for a couple of minutes. Pitch is hard to describe, but it's lower than a "tick" but not a "boom." Definitely metallic. Think of the sound an older diesel engine makes...."clattering"....only this sounds like only one cylinder, rather than multiple....Does this description make sense?
    Does anyone know if these engines have aluminum pistons? If they do, and that is the cause of this noise, I would expect it to sound more like my 6.0L GM that clatters with all 8 pistons slapping when cold. This sounds just like that, but with a singular sound source, not multiple.
    BTW, I agree with you on wanting a car fresh off the truck. All owners manuals say to avoid "full throttle acceleration" for the first 1,000 miles, but who test drives a vehicle without doing exactly that? I don't even want to buy a vehicle that I test drive! LOL
    Thanks,
    Tom
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I hear the same noise on my 2003 V8. Sounds like piston slap to me.
  • tswizzletswizzle Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 4runner limited. It has the electonic air controls and auto climate control. The past two months it has acted Sporadic. I dont ever use the auto climate. I cant even change it from fresh to circulate sometimes. The buttons will just not respond and I am not able to turn the ac on sometimes or even put on the front defroster. I know that you cant do some functions while other are on but this unit is just acting wierd. Sometimes I will get stuck in circulate mode when it is raining and my windows will fog up, I just cant go into fresh mode. Any ideas or do you think I might need a whole new unit? I imagine that a new air control unit is atleast $200-400 bucks. Do you think the clamp in the back is loose or the wires are to crimped or something? Thanks for the ideas!
    Thank you for your post about the piston slap.

I just need to know if this is a common problem with this V8, or very unusual. If it's common, I am not too concerned about it....don't like it, but lived with a GM with the same problem with no apparent long term damage.

I would still appreciate hearing from others with the 4.7L V8 to see how common this is.

Thanks,
    Tom
  • polartoypolartoy Member Posts: 18
    The noise on cold starts appears to be common and nothing to worry about. I have two 4runners,2003,v8. Both have it. Almost 90,000 km on one, 23000 km on other, and no sign of problems. Engine oil extremely clean always. Have tried synthetic also, no difference on noise. Nothing to worry about imo.
    Cheers
    Polartoy
    Thanks for the reply, Polartoy.

I read this entire topic before posting my question and there was not one reference to this noise with regard to the V8. Therefore, I thought I might have an unusual situation that was cause for concern.
    My experience with piston slap is that it is not as bad as it sounds. And, I agree with you that synthetic or dino makes no difference....seems to be totally temperature related.
    I'll relax about what I'm dealing with, but it bothers me that my service department acted like they have never heard of the noise.
    Tom
  • jjenkensjjenkens Member Posts: 26
    Don't get me wrong.. I absolutely LOVE my 4Runner. I've had it a year now, and it's an awesome piece of work.. haven't had a single problem with it, not one! But while up in Colorado recently, I had problems several times with it automatically doing the slippage thing on me. What I mean is, if I'm in a small bank of snow or mud, or on any ground that is slippery, instead of being able to power up and kinda spin the tires and work the vehicle up and out of the area.. it does that clicking sound, as (I'm guessing) the differential gives way until you regain traction. I believe they put that in place to detect and account for things like hydroplaning. But when you're in a vehicle like this (and you're using it to it's capabilities), you're going to find yourself in less than desirable off-road conditions from time to time. I live in Dallas, so I didn't really feel like I needed a 4WD.. and a 2WD would be fine if it just didn't give way when I'm trying to power up when the wheels can't catch traction. So my question is.. is there a way I can disable this function? If so, would I just lose out on that auto-detection of slippage, or would I be sacrificing some other major functionality? I found it pretty embarrassing when I was stuck in a small amount of snow, and I can't generate the HP to rock it back and forth and up and out of a hole or small snowbank. And the sound it makes inside the car always gets a "Whoa, what is that? That sounds terrible." comment out of any passenger. Thanks for any help on this!
  • olrockerolrocker Member Posts: 16
    I've had my LTD/V-8/4WD for about 2 1/2 years (it's out of overall warranty; has 45K miles on it), and a month or so ago noticed an undercarriage rattle. Today the dealer told me it was a leaking front shock, and that the X-REAS system won't let you replace just one shock...YOU HAVE TO REPLACE THE WHOLE SYSTEM! It was going to cost over $2,000! Fortunately, the distributor is going to cover it for me...but, damn!
    Word...if you get the X-REAS suspension, get the extended warranty. Your dealer and/or distributor may not be so customer focused.
  • surffishingsurffishing Member Posts: 5
    I just recently had my header gasket replaced, thinking that would stop the ticking. Found out that it did not. I understand that there maybe a slight ticking from the injector's, but I am just scared that it could be a busted head gasket or a push-rod. If it is a push-rod can you adjust the rocker arms. To stop the problem. Any help would be welcomed...
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    the glass is treated with something to make it repel water better. this is why it states in the manual to never use an ice scraper on the glass. if you need to use something to remove ice in winter conditions you can use a spray-on deicer product.
  • jeffycrenjeffycren Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 95 4Runner with a V6 that makes the same ticking sound. I was told it was the lifters and that it was nothing to worry about. I would still like to find out how to make the noise go away. If you find out please post it so I can do the same.
  • larryd3larryd3 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem about a month ago and the garage did a hard start and the problem was fixed for about three weeks and it started again. I am going to take it to the dealer this week and will keep you informed.
  • rvalc43594rvalc43594 Member Posts: 31
    Hi again. Does anyone with the new 2005 4.0 v6 4runner knows if the manifold still makes that sound of the exhaust valves clattering? It was said in earlier posts that Toyota designed the manifolds too thin thus the noises upon acceleration, especially against guard rails and enclosed area of hearing the exhaust valves clicking and clattering. Is this noises still present in the 05 v6 4runner. Toyota representatives are welcome to respond and elaborate.
  • mr10mr10 Member Posts: 4
    I paid a body shop $100 two weeks ago to get my tailgate down and change my brake light bulbs.One had blown.My window won't work anymore.The guy said he replaced the bulbs and a rusted wire connecter.Anyway,the same bulb blew out in less than two weeks.Do you think he could have installed the connecter wrong?Why would a new bulb only last two weeks?Thanks...Mike
  • toygrltoygrl Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I am looking to buy very soon. TOYOTA 4RUNNER, SR5, V6, PACIFIC BLUE, (2WD) RWD, NO MOONROOF, GREY CLOTH INT. I am not trading in a vehicle and live in orange county fl. I will be driving to pick up the vehicle once I find the one I want. If possible could you please include the OTD pricing for me That you may have payed. Thank you for your time and help.
    Sincerely toygrl
  • neceboopieneceboopie Member Posts: 6
    I just got my new SR5 V6 4runner and it is great.
    I notice one thing with the brakes. There is a hissing sound like air that comes from the brakes when I depress the pedal. They seem to work fine but the noise is a little bothersome. Does anyone else have this with their vehicle. I wouldn't mind it so much if it is common.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You might want to check out TMV new car prices, used car pricing, used car values at Edmunds.

tidester, host
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    I am no mechanic, but I've had the same question and this is the answer I received. The 4Runner used a hydrolic system for its breaks. Every three to four times that you use your breaks, the system needs to recharge, and you will hear a noise associated with breaking, something about a pump recharging the hydrolic reserve. This is far from a technical answer, but I think that your hissing sound accurately describes the noise. I hear the same thing on my 4Runner.
  • david_mardavid_mar Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem with my 99 4Runner.
    The weather doesn't have to be cold, just the car shouldn't have been started in the last 8 hours. Once it starts I can turn it off and on at will fairly easily.

I just pulled out the battery and had it tested and it seems to be working fine. All that I hear is a "click" and then I try a couple of times with "click" and then the engine starts fine.

It seems to be getting worse, as it would just click maybe like once a month, but this week it seems that it is happening much more frequently.
  • richbf2richbf2 Member Posts: 73
    MY 02 4RUNNER HAS BEEN VERY LOYAL TO ME. I HAS BEEN RUNNING WELL AND GIVING ME NO PROBLEM. I HAVE PUT 45K ON THIS BABY, BUT HAVE NOT DONE ANY MAJOR TUNE UP EXCEPT FOR REGULAR 3.5K OIL CHANGE. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO KEEP IT RUNNING GREAT? PLEASE ADVISE.
    I USE 5W30 IN WINTER AND 10W30 IN SUMMER. IS THIS OK FOR THE ENGINE? PLEASE ADVISE. my e-mail is richbf2@hotmail.com.
    THANKS IN ADVANCE
    PLEASE ADVISE. my e-mail is ***@***.***

Please keep the discussion here so everyone benefits. To do otherwise defeats the purpose of a message board which is to share information, views and experiences.

tidester, host
  • audie4wdaudie4wd Member Posts: 2
    This is the first time I have posted any questions and I am kinda new to this all but I have a 2004 4wd 4Runner and I reciently backed into a guy and was wondering if I can paint the back gray fender right above my towing hitch or if I have to replace it. Also has anyone installed a wind guard on the sunroof and how much it costs.
  • audie4wdaudie4wd Member Posts: 2
    I have the same make and model and my breaks do it as well... it seems to be normal as far as I am concerned. I have had mine for almost a year and I have never had a problem with the breaks...knock on wood.
  • rmc7rmc7 Member Posts: 1
    First time here, I have a 93 v-6. The problem is i lost power going down the road and the motor died as i pulled over. It didnt have power up a small hill when i accellerated. The truck has gotten hot once before from a radiator leak that was just in the red on the gauge. And it was in normal range this time but was hot when it died. I let it cool down for about a hour, put some water in about a qt. and tried to start it. The motor chuged to try and start only after i stepped on the gas about 1/4 did it start. it ran for a couple minutes roughly. So i turned it off. The temp still showed normal range. I see water all around the radiator. So a leak got it hot again iam figuring. Anyway after a waited about 30 more minutes i filled the rad. back up and started the car. It started a little better and ran OK no missing or popping and no white smoke out the exhaust. So i drove it a mile to get it off the raod and have it towed, and it ran good. It showed about 3/4 on the temp gauge so i turned it off and towed it home. I have taken the sparkplugs out and looked at them. All white with some greyish deposits on them. Did a compression check on 5 of 6 cylinders. Found 4 with low 55 psi and one with 120 psi.
    Is there a way to determine if the head gasket is bad before a take it apart?? And what else could be a cause? I need you find out what else to check to point to the problem. Thanks for the help. I did have a check eng lt. code was 52 or 25.
  • neceboopieneceboopie Member Posts: 6
    I took it to a different dealership than where I purchased it from (too far). They took it for a test drive and said it was fine. I just have to stop listening to it. I feel like there is a snake in the vehicle. I love the truck otherwise. Thanks for the info.
  • luke20luke20 Member Posts: 1
    Hello my name is luke,
    I have a 96 toyota 4runner and i got it about 5 months ago. I had a problem with the car it would kinda of shake as i would acclerate but they said to replace the spark plugs and that fixed it. But now my car kinda of like shakes as i am about to go but not when i am driving doe s anyone know what that is i think maybe one of my spark plugs are lose but i am not sure??
  • wrenchspin2wrenchspin2 Member Posts: 37
    Has anyone ever gotten a resolution or self fix to the loose driver seat issue. I have an 05 V6 4Runner with only 2000mi on it and when making tight corners I feel it shift/move a little.
    I have seen the previous posts and ironically this seems to have happened to 2003, 2004 and mine is a 2005! One person said they owned a 2004 and went to dealer to install a new seat...well I'd be curious what happened since I have a late 2005 with the same problem still! I tended to doubt its the height adjustment..I owned a 2000 with height adjustment (appears to be the same design used) and it did not move at all.
    Anyone actually have a dealer correct this or a self fix? Any suggestions appreciated.
  • jorgisanjorgisan Member Posts: 2
    I have the exact same experience with my 04 V8 Limited 4Runner. I had the dealer check it out today and the service manager told me that it is the front and rear differentials "syncing" up at the stop. He said that is was fairly common. Frankly, I don't buy it. I have never had a vehicle do this before. At least, I am on record with the dealer in case it becomes more serious. I would be curious as to what your service people have to say about it.
  • jorgisanjorgisan Member Posts: 2
    The service manager from my dealer just called me with a more comprehensive explanation of the occasional "thud" in the transmission of my 04 V8 Limited 4Runner when coming to a stop. He said that there are two differentials and two drive shafts in the vehicle. A transfer case is supposed to keep them "meshed" or in "sync". He said that it is virtually impossible to do that 100% of the time because of the myriad of stopping conditions encountered. He also said that this has been a problem with 4 wheel drive vehicles forever. I guess that makes sense.
  • surffishingsurffishing Member Posts: 5
    I have a 95 4Runner with CD,Tape,FM the CD player is not working so I purchased a used one online only to find that I don't know the security code for the used radio. Is there any way around this. The toyota dealership is after money they said they would help for $70.00 when he could have probably gave me the code over the phone.
    Please help....
  • ddw5ddw5 Member Posts: 23
    Took my '03 Sport in for the same issue. Dealer ordered me a new seat. Still waiting for its' arrival as they are backordered. Seems to indicate a common problem.
  • surffmuttsurffmutt Member Posts: 1
    hello,i just bought a 4runner limited with the push button 4WD system and either iam doing something wrong or its not working. under the visor there is instructions on how to use 4WD but when i do as it says nothing happens iam not getting the 4WDlight on the cluster or anything if i put in 4wheel low it does kinda jumps up when i put it back in drive but for some reason the front wheels are not ingaging i tryed putting it in 4wd and driving to maybe lock it in but still nothing does this seem like a eletronic problem or what ...PLEASE HELP thanks :)
  • boxtypeboxtype Member Posts: 8
    I recently bought an '05 SR5 with 3rd row seats.
    I cannot figure out how to turn the fog lights on? or is there any?seems like ther is a fog lamp installed..no switch is found.

your reply will save my trip to the dealer.
    thanks,

Black 4runner
  • tcpoobtcpoob Member Posts: 30
    read your manual. the fog lights will only
    turn on when the low beam headlight is on,
    or something to that extend.
  • rajrrajr Member Posts: 2
    Hay Luke,

I have a brand new 4runner and happens to me also. I guess the engine is powerful and kinda shakes when you crank it. Once started however, there are no problem.
  • rajrrajr Member Posts: 2
    The light is switched on automatically when you start the car. It has probably been disabled while the car was delivered to you. I guess you will have to take it to the dealer.
  • tcpoobtcpoob Member Posts: 30
    not true. don't confuse the fog lamps with
    DRL - daytime running lights. RTFM.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    If your 2005 is the same as my 2003, the on-off fog light switch is on the same lever as the headlight switch. Just turn it forward to activate the fog lights, backwards to deactivate. It's similar to the intermittent wiper adjustment stalk on the other side of the steering wheel.

P.S. It only works in low-beam mode.
  • jerry14jerry14 Member Posts: 2
    PLEASE HELP ME..... WOULD APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE OR COMMENTS ON THIS PROBLEM

I have a problem with starting a 95 4 runner..

I changed the engine from a 1990 engine to a 1995 engine by taking everthing from the 95 engine to the 90 engine. Everything matched up except for the wire coming out from around the injectors. The wire coming from the 90 model had a single wire with a ground wire wrapped around it (like a coax). I cut the plug off of the 95 and plugged it into the 95 loom, then cut the plug off of the 90 and plugged it into the wire coming out of the manifold. Stripped the wire on the ends and wired the two together.

After doing all this the engine run excellent, except the engine light was on. I was trying to get the engine light to go off so I went back to those wires and switched some of them because I was thinking they were the ground wires and figuring that it was the cause of the engine light to stay on. After doing this the car still runs fine but the engine light is still on. So then I took the battery cables off and touched them together(advice from someone else to get the engine light to go off). I can now get the engine to start but will not stay running.

A mechanic suggested that it may be the security system. I am not sure wether this is a factory or add on system. He told me to lock the car up and come back later. I did this and went back to start it and it still is doing the same thing.

Is there a way to disable the security system to get it running again or could it be something else. I am stumped here....

PLEASE HELP ME..... WOULD APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE OR COMMENTS ON THIS PROBLEM
  • wspencerwspencer Member Posts: 8
    I recently bought a 2004 4 runner and the doors would automatically lock and unlock when I started out and stopped and put it into park. All of a suddent the unlocking stopped working. I looked through the owners manual and it said to reset, put into park and hold the unlock down for 5 seconds with the shifter in park. I tried this a bunch of times and still does not work. Has anyone else had problems with this option and do they know of any fixes other than taking it back to the dealer to look at thanks
    While you're waiting for a reply here you may want to visit Got a Quick, Technical Question?. Good luck!

tidester, host
  • naughtyvixennaughtyvixen Member Posts: 1
    I went to open the hood and nothing happened. The hood lock release lever {next to the fuel door lever} fell into my hand. I tried to pull on the cable from there and still no luck. Could someone PLEASE tell me how to get the hood open and fix the release lever????

Thanks for any and all help anyone can assist me with...HAPPY EASTER ALL!
  • icecold1icecold1 Member Posts: 1
    The antenna motor on my 98 toyota 4runner is making a loud grinding noise. Everytime I crank up it grinds for about 20 seconds. How should I go about troubleshooting this problem?
  • countchoculacountchocula Member Posts: 5
    First question: where is the o2 sensor located?
    2. When I turn a sharp corner, the right side suspension crreeeaaakkkks a bunch, and it sounds like metal on metal, what is the cause?
  • dmx1212dmx1212 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2004 toyota 4runner sr5 4wd with 12000 miles. I have noticed excessive wind noise...it almost sounds like an open window. The worst is above 60 mph, heard mostly from left rear door and right top of windshield. Anyone have any advice? Do the vent shields decrease road and wind noise? Thanks this is really annoying.
  • rjordanrjordan Member Posts: 30
    DMX1212,
    Check to see if the both rails are facing forward. You should see an arrow stamped on it where it slides on the track. Sometimes these are installed incorrectly. Afterwards, adjust both rails to a location just past the paint mark. This is the proper location when you are not carrying luggage. Your owners manual should have instructions on this. Now for the vent shields; if these are the add ons one sees in the autoparts stores to keep rain out, then yes, these can and do make wind noise.
  • boxtypeboxtype Member Posts: 8
    thanks,
    save me the trip to So Coast TYT.
    boxtype
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Move the adjustable roof rack rails as far back as possible. This will get rid of some of the noise. I learned this from prior posts more than a year ago, and it works. Read back from day one to present and you'll learn all kinds of things, some that will surprise you (me too).

Myself, I feel the road noise is obtrusively loud. 1mm thicker glass would have fixed most of the noise.