Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pickup Owners Hangout

Comments

• junebug492junebug492 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Frontier crewcab with 45k miles. I had a check engine light come on and the dealer says it is the O2 sensor. They said they needed to take apart some of the motor to replace it to the tune of $875.00! Has anyone else had this issue, and if so how much did you pay?
  • dougqdougq Member Posts: 2
    The same thing happens to mine every 6 months or so. I use an error code reader to reset the error code and it is fine until the next time.
  • crimsonkingcrimsonking Member Posts: 2
    JB, don't really know about the Frontier's, but sounds like a bs line to me. I have a '97 truck, 2.4L, and changed both(front and rear) O2 sensor's w/o any problem. The front is usually located in the exhause manifold, upstream of the catalytic converter, and the rear, right behind the converter. Now, back to your problem. I don't think that in the 4 years between the two mentioned trucks, there is going to be that much difference. If you go to AllData.com, you can subscribe for 14.95 for one year for your particuliar model. There you can pull up the factory service manuals and find anything you need in the way of maintenance/troubleshooting, etc. Hope this helps.
    Cking
  • wood38wood38 Member Posts: 1
    Not sure if this helps but here it is. I also have a 97 pickup and have had several problems with the emissions system. It turns out the gas tank cap was not being sealed properly after filling the tank. I used some sealer (non-hardening) to coat the threads and tightened the cap properly. After the warning light was cleared it didn't appear again. My truck has 95,000 miles and runs great.
  • w00dworkerw00dworker Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, but the seal on gas cap was tested ok by the shop. The light was reset but came back on.
  • w00dworkerw00dworker Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, but the seal on gas cap was tested ok by the shop. The light was reset but came back on. Was told to look for a vacuume line or seal leak. Man,no easy task.
  • georgiejrgeorgiejr Member Posts: 3
    I am planning to get the above with a V6 manual 6-speed 4x2. As for the accessories, I will get the extender and divider. I was thinking of adding the toolbox (not for tools but rather for groceries and some other stuff - can be locked). with these accessories, I don't want the bed to be exposed to the elements and thus would need a soft cover that would allow the tool box in the utility track.

Any advise as to whether to buy this from the dealership or from Internet stores (shipping and handling for this heavy stuff might not be worth it).

And while on the subject, I want a good audio system that you can enjoy JAZZ music and have a bit more bass (thump) but not the kind that would break my glass. Any suggestions as to the kind of speakers, audio unit and sub. Also, what kind of alarm would you recommend.

Thank you.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    As noted in the post box and our Rules of the Road - http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/rulesoftheroad.html - we highly discourage posts with email addresses and/or requesting off-list emails. It benefits everyone when information is shared here in the Forums... people can often find answers to their questions just by reading previous posts. Posting your email address also leaves you vulnerable to those who will use it maliciously.

Thanks!
    kcram - Pickups Host
  • yrebelyrebel Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1987 Nissan pickup (720) with a 3.0L engine. The timing needs setting. I can't find any guidance on the timing marks. It appears this engine has pointer on the block and the timing marks are on the harmonic balance pulley. I can see what looks like 7 marks on the pulley. I have no idea what they stand for. There is no color coding nor can I see what the increments mean. Can anyone tell me which one is considered TDC and what the degrees are between marks? The specifications say to set the timing at 12 degrees. Thanks for any help!
  • hokieffhokieff Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Nissan P-up XE. I'm having trouble with my clutch (maybe). When I go to start it, with the clutch pedal pushed in, it wants to take off with me. Once its started, its fine. Hopefully it is just a hydraulic problem. Anyone have any insight on where to start looking before I go thru the trouble of taking the transmission out?
  • sportsrefsportsref Member Posts: 1
    I used to work in the car audio industry and Boston Acoustics would be my choice for Great sounding Jazz with two (2) eight inch subs. Get an adjustable sub-cross over as well. goo luck.
  • nissantruckmannissantruckman Member Posts: 1
    hey man i got the same problem i have to set the oil pump and distibuter up. i just put a new head and timming chain on. so i should set the distributer 10 degress clock wise or counter-clockwise. And when you put it in at o degress did the truck run, but ruff or did it not run at all? :confuse:
  • bigd8bigd8 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 86.5 nissan hardbody single cab 4x4 with the v6.Ok here's the list of problems. I cannot take of fast in 1st gear because the truck wants to die. My clutch pedal likes to lose pressure and drain all the fluid out. So im always having to put fluid in ti every day. Just the other night i put my truck in 4low and "tried" to climb up the side of a wall and my room mate saw sparks shooting out from under the hood on the right side of the truck. He was spotting me and saw it through my right side wheel well. When my truck is in 4x4 and i turn the wheel all the way to one side or the other i hear a clicking nosie lick the tires are rubbing but i know thats not it. Well theres the mess please someone help me fix my problems.If i cant get them fixed my girl is going to make me sell it and i love the truck. Thanks for reading.
  • dmbowlesdmbowles Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have a 1990 Nissan pickup 4 cylinder stick shift, when you depress the clutch pedal and turn the ignition switch on. You can hear the starter relay clicking, but engine wont rotate, had starter and solenoide cheched-OK, replaced starter relay, replaced clutch pedal switch, and replaced battery. Where do I go from here- please help.
  • byufanaticbyufanatic Member Posts: 1
    Any luck finding it? I've got the same problem with my '96 pickup.

Rob
  • placourseplacourse Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1995 4x4 Nissan pickup. While dirving in 4 wheel drive about 15 mph, the temp gauge, speedometer, tach, fuel gauge and odometer stopped working at the same time. Also the light indicating 4 wheel drive is off and the battery light is on. What gives? Thanks.
  • gabe4gabe4 Member Posts: 3
    i got a 94 hrdbody v6 that had the same problem. It would seem to always have a dead battery.i got a new battery and it went away for a month. then only the solenoid would fire, no starter.got a new starter. one month later same problem. come to find a fried relay,(damn mechanics only want your money). fixed that problem. starter(probably unneccesary). the small wires on the positive are radio and inside lights. the main obviously the battery and headlights. if you have no drains on your battery, get a new starter relay, replace the battery connections, the main wire is probably corroded.
    i sure as hell hope you cheaked your vacuum tubes before you spent that money, i got my light to go off a couple dys ago yaay!!! melted hose going into the little round gold diaphram. evaporation valve? dont kno what its called
    squeaking regaurdless of brakes or clutch engaged if yout have an extended cab= carrier bearing 99% sure
  • frontsalefrontsale Member Posts: 1
    2002 Nissan Frontier SE CC LB 4x4 for sale in Idaho. Email me if you are interested at all has about 60k mi.
  • hayseedshayseeds Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of rebuilding this tranny for the 3rd time. Same problem as the last 2 times, still runs great, but I can't help but think this is a design flaw on Nissan's part. Can anyone help with schematic info and parts list? Also need torque specs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • zstringzstring Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 PU XE that has recently developed a frustrating problem. It constantly blows the turn signal fuse. About 70% of the time I can replace the fuse once the truck is running and not have any problems with it until I turn the ignition switch off and back on again. The other 30% of the time I can't insert a new fuse as will spark as I am inserting it, this tends to be when the engine is cold or the ambient temperature is cold. This leads me to believe that it may have something to do with the auto choke relay. The interior fuse box has four relays attached to it, but I have no idea which one is which. The Haynes manual has been great to use as a knee pad on the driveway, but that is about it. The wiring schematic in the book is not even consistant with the colors that I am looking at, so tracing the wires is all but hopeless with out yanking out the entire harness. Can anyone tell me the location of the auto-choke relay and what the best way of testing this might be. I am also open to other theories as to what might be causing this. I am at a loss. There does not appear to be any worn wires on the ignition switch or on the turn signal switch, and the hazard flashers will work even when the turn signal fuse is blown. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • jim86jim86 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 XE pickup. One day it just started acting up. When i go to take off its almost like you were turning the key off and on real fast. Jerks back and forth. If i go ahead and shift to second gear and lug it down it does better. this problem is worse on colder days. If its a warm day it may drive all day and never have a problem. Also after i drive it 15 or 20 miles the problem seems to go away. The service light did come but now has gone off but still acts the same.Weird how colder weather makes it worse.If its very cold it may even do it in 3rd or 4th gear.Any help would be greatly appreaciated.
  • jhkjhk Member Posts: 1
    i have not used my 4 wheel drive in over a year. i just recently pulled off the front rotor to replace bearingson both sides. i have a 93 nissan v6 king cab with 220,000 miles on it. Well it iced today and needed my 4x4, i went to engage it and the lights on the dash did not light up telling me the transfer case was in 4x4. i did nothing special when i removed the rotor. is there something to look out for when removing the hubs?
  • jim86jim86 Member Posts: 2
    Found the problem. A friend of mine that worked for Nissan brought a scanner and hooked it up. It read that my Max Air Flow Sensor was bad. When he went to show me where it was we noticed the ground wire in the plug was broken. Wired it back up and it runs like a charm.
  • rocketman1rocketman1 Member Posts: 1
    Any hints as to what Nissan will change on the 2K7 yet?
  • sundevil05sundevil05 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 nissan 4x4 and the exhaust manifold bolts tend to crack at least once every 2 years. Its costly but worth it such its such a great truck. just wondering if any solution to this. Bigger exhaust?
  • abir_kyabir_ky Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 SVE KingCab. I am planning to replace the factory bulb with sylvania silver star bulbs. Anyone tried these bulbs here? I head good things about them, but would like to know if someone has any problem with them. Also, I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to replace bulbs (headlight) on this truck?
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    I'm looking at a 1984 nissan 4x4 pickup. It has 200k, but a rebuilt engine and transmission. It has a weber carb. Anything I should be looking at with this year?
  • mx5manmx5man Member Posts: 4
    I have a 90 Nissan pickup and the overdrive does not kick in when I push the button. Can anyone help me on where to begin to find the problem.
  • jcasey1jcasey1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1986.5 Nissan that wont start. When you turn the key you can hear the relay's under the hood clicking but the motor wont turn over. I have replaced the relay's under the hood as well as the ignition switch. The battery is good and the starter, coil, and ignition module are all good. I need help. Any suggestions??????
  • jcasey1jcasey1 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem. Can you tell me what fixed the problem. Thanks a lot.
  • dgold1dgold1 Member Posts: 1
    My 85' King Cab has a split personality. It's a 4 cyl auto. When I first start to drive it in the AM, If I pull away from a stop and depress the gas too much it bucks and stalls. I can always restart but have to go through this tap dancing motion on the gas to keep it running, and shift into neutral before coming to a stop to keep the revs up. Then, after driving for awhile, stopping and letting it cool down, the problem mysteriously disappears. Does that ring a bell. Inexperience tells me it's a carb problem??
  • qwert13qwert13 Member Posts: 24
    Simply out of curiosity, has anyone else received a notice from Nissan that starts out with this paragraph:

Nissan is committed to providing the highest levels of product quality and customer satisfaction. We know that towing a trailer may have been an important consideration in your vehicle's purchase. In new Titan, Armada, Pathfinder, Frontier, and Xterra vehicles, Nissan recently introduced enhanced electric circuitry which may further protect your vehicle from damage or fire caused by a short circuit wiring or mis-installation of trailer lighting or electrical accessories. This is to advise you that Nissan is making this production enhancement available to you free of charge so that you will have the same protection should you ever tow a trailer with a defective electrical system.
  • harbody4uharbody4u Member Posts: 2
  • harbody4uharbody4u Member Posts: 2
    hey i have a 97 pickup with a 4 banger and it has an electricl short somewhere that is killing it if anyone has some suggestions or a wiring schematic for this truck can u please e- mail it to me. the truck has a 3 inch body lift so i tend to think the problem is somewhere where a wire is stretched any feedback let me know thanks alot.
  • pospahalapospahala Member Posts: 1
    My 1996 maxima is doing the same thing. Any answers yet??
  • janhoward777janhoward777 Member Posts: 3
    O.K. HERE'S THE SENEREO. I HAD A WET DISTRIBUTOR CAP SO I SPRAYED IN THE DISTRIBUTOR WHAT I THOUGHT WAS ELECTRICAL CLEANER, TURNS OUT IT WAS PLASTIC DIST. CAP SPRAY.(acrylic) SO I HAD TO REMOVE AND REPLACE DISTRIBUTOR CAP, REMOVED SENSOR MODULE AND METAL DISC, CLEANED REINSTALLED AND IT IS DOING SAME THING BEFORE CLEANING. IT IS NOT FIRING ON THIRD CYLINDER. I REPLACED SPARK PLUG WIRE, SPARK PLUG, AND STILL NO SPARK COMING OUT OF NO.THREE ON NEW DISTRIBUTER CAP. TRIED OLD CAP, SAME PROBLEM. HELP. I MADE SURE I REMOVED ALL RESIDUE WITH OUT SCRATCHING THIN DISC. HELP.
  • ryanman6ryanman6 Member Posts: 1
    I just got my pick up and went out 4 wheeling yesterday and climbing a hill my truck stalled out. it took about 10 min to get it to start again but i had fouled out all the plugs. but now it is idling rough has no power and is idling real high. my only guess is that an 02 sensor went bad when i stalled it out, so now it is running rich. any ideas, i cannot find on 02 on it......
    O.K. I FIXED PROBLEM. THE PLASTIC SPRAY FILLED IN THE HOLES IN THE SENSOR DISC SO I REMOVED THE DISC, HELD IT UP TO THE LIGHT AND SEEN THE PROBLEM. SOAKED THE DISC IN FINGERNAIL POLISH REMOVER, USED A TOOTH BRUSH AND CLEANED OUT THE TINY OPENINGS PUT IT BACK TOGETHER AND WA LA! IT WORKS. I FEEL SO DUMB FOR THINKING THAT WAS AN ELECTRICAL CLEANER INSTEAD OF A PLASTIC SPRAY WHICH HAS ACRYLIC IN IT. DUH!
    WHAT HAPPENED WAS YOU GOT OIL IN YOUR CYLINDERS THROUGH THE VALVES. DID YOU TIP IT OVER? REMOVE PLUGS, TURN ENGINE OVER SEVERAL TIMES, CLEAN PLUGS AND REINSTALL. THAT SHOULD FIX IT. SOMETIMES EXTREME SHAKING AND EXTREME SHARP GRADES WILL FORCE OIL INTO CYLINDERS ESPECIALLY IF YOUR CRANKCASE ISN'T VENTILATED, STOPPED UP PCV VALVE ETC.
  • lockmanlockman Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Have you received any response regarding how to change the bulb? I have looked at it and am having a difficult time as I am wanting to do the same as you have described?
    Thanks,
  • critter1critter1 Member Posts: 104
    :sick: :sick: Mine broke 63,000 miles (Orignal!) Brotherinlaw has 94 4x2
    his broke at 83000. I think Nissan has a problem these years breaking. It's about $300-$400 to fix,Not cheap! Since it seems to be defect wonder if they give some parts or $$$$ asistance? They should,anybody else have this problem?

Thanks
  • jhall4jhall4 Member Posts: 1
    MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON AFTER A LONG HARD ROAD TRIP. HAD OBDII TEST AND CODE P0304 CAME UP (MIS FIRE #4 CYL) REPLACED PLUG WIRE,PLUG,CAP AND ROTOR. NOTHING CHANGED. MADE SURE ALL OF THE VACUME HOSES ON EGR VALVE WERE STILL HOOKED UP, THEN REMOVED 8MM CAP ON THE INTAKE AND CHECKED THE PORT FOR THE #4 CYLINDER IT WAS CLEAR AND CLEAN. THEN REMOVED PLUG ON INJECTOR #4 WHILE THE ENGINE WAS RUNNING AND THE IDLE REALLY GOT ROUGH SO HOOKED IT BACK UP AND IT SMOOTHED OUT BUT STILL HAD THE MISS FIRE. ANYONE HAVE ANY MORE IDEAS? PLEASE H E L P !
  • travler8travler8 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 95 nissan pu. My tail lights & dash lights are out. Ive replaced the fuse, still nothing. Is there something else in the circuit it could be?
  • tkre91tkre91 Member Posts: 1
    I have used the Sylvania Silver Star bulbs in two of my vehicles. I think they are great, best "bang for the buck".
  • jasher20jasher20 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Nissan Xterra, I know it is not a truck, but the engine is similar to the frontier and I was wondering if anyone knows much about the problem. I have been told it could possibly be the PCV valve having clogging issues. I clean out where the intake is and it cures it but only for a period of about 3 weeks. There is a constant build up of an oil gas mixture that is black. Any ideas?
  • ryanceyryancey Member Posts: 42
    Today my speedometer pegged out when i was driving 50 mph. It said i was going 100 mph. Then when i drove it after that my speedometer did not work and my check engine light was on. What can i do to fix this.
  • stormtrooperstormtrooper Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 93 nissan pickup. Just recently I have had a problem with my turn signals. It's only with my left turn signal,when I have my lights on it stays lit up in my dash, when I have lights off it works til I press on the brakes then it stops flashing and is lit solid then foot comes off brake pedal... did check all the bulbs on the left side, they all look good and the ones that didn't I changed.. Still have the same trouble... Is there anyone out there that can give me some input on my trouble.... Thank you could use all the help I can get on this problem....
  • zanegreyzanegrey Member Posts: 32
    your turn signal switch is bad...