Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pickup Owners Hangout

Comments

• moterimoteri Member Posts: 1
    what does a 1994 nissan 4x4 pickup with the V6 5sp get for gas mileage? i'm interested in one.
  • 8ball28ball2 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 1993 4x4 V6 5sp SE and it gets about 16 mpg. It has a 20gal. tank, so it cost about $3,000.00 to fill it up in the US.
  • nissanbodynissanbody Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for the a 1994 Nissa XE pickup truck with a blown engine in it and a body that's in good condition. I really enjoy my pickup but the body is rusting out and it is unsafe to drive. So i'm hoping to get a good body to drop my engine into. Thanks
  • n1ssann1ssan Member Posts: 1
    I recently replaced my starter, and after I started my truck the first time afterwards the A/C won't blow cold air. Does anyone have a clue? Thank you!
  • jass1jass1 Member Posts: 1
    have a 97 nissan pickup 2.4 I ran it out of gas then it started running very rough. I changed the plugs wires, plugs and fuel filter. It now drives but it does not have any power. and the idle is very rough. also when I took off the fuel filter some sand came out, are my injectors cloged? and is that an easy fix?
  • rodranierrodranier Member Posts: 10
    I have a 1995 XE with a 2.4L that I replaced the idle air control valve on. It now sometimes idles up to about 1500 rpm's but when I tap the accelerator it idles down to normal. It happens sporadically, not all the time. Any ideas? It's funny in that the reason I replaced the part in the first place was because it idled low.

Thx

Rodranier
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Was the IAC aftermarket or OEM?

There's a chance it may be defective.
  • thephilthephil Member Posts: 1
    I had nearly the same issue. I was parking in the grass in my yard consistently and in that spot it puddled water under the engine compartment each time it rained. My truck was sputtering for the first 10 to 15 minutes of my morning commute. I couldn't figure out what the issue was. I had purchased relatively cheap plug wires, previously. I tried several things, then when checking the plugs, I broke the wires, so I had to replace them. The truck ran perfectly afterward.
  • plantpotterplantpotter Member Posts: 9
    Thanks! I didn't receive many suggestions regarding the situation and the Nissan technicians have been no help so I sincerely appreciate your response. The problems definitely sound similar. Replacing the plug wires along with the distributor, cap, O-ring and coil wires was one of the first DIY steps I took and unfortunately that didn't fix the problem. So I continue to park the truck in the garage to keep it dry and haven't encountered the problem any more. So I remain puzzled. ? ? ? Thanks again for your response!
  • lava3lava3 Member Posts: 4
    I also have a19995 Nissan pickup but a 5spd. 4cyl. Speedometer quit a few days ago. Thought it might be speed sensor also. Getting ready to pull old one from my truck but how can i be sure thats the problem? new one is $i60. used at $45. is there a way to check old one first?
    An 86 nissan.. that brings back unpleasant memories. I purchased a brand new one in 1986. It ran great, very dependable..unless it RAINED!!! Took this truck back to dealer many, many, many times. Sometimes they would have it for over two weeks.I recall more than once after picking it up it would break down on the highway.Dealer never did find the problem and I sold it on a nice sunny day after about 4 years. good luck with yours
    95 4cyl 5spd. speed sensor.Speedometer quit a few days ago. Pulled speed sensor today and noticed plastic gear on end of speed sensor was damaged. Can this gear be replaced or do i need a new speed sensor? don't want to search salvage yards to find others with same problem. I believe 95-97 are the same.Help. Can't drive pickup now because fluid slings out the hole on side of trans.
    1995 Nissan pickup 4cyl. 5 spd. 2 wheel drive. Where to get part? No local salvage yards have this item . It operates speedometer & connects to transmission. Dealer wants over$160. just for part.
    I ordered it from the Parts bin. It was a Hitachi. After driving it for about two months, it has begun to work perfectly...grimlins I guess!!

When you start up in the mornings, do you get a rattling noise from the engine? It reminds me of a timing chain tensioning issue. Once oil is up and circulating it quiets down...takes about 5-7 seconds. I am getting a little concerned about it now. The truck has about 150K miles on it.

Thx
    Is anyone hearing a rattling noise at engine startup after being off for about 4 or 5 hours or overnite. Sounds like valves rattling or a timing chain...getting a little concerned...truck has about 150K miles on it. I rather not loose a timing chain in travel. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thx
  • wgorewgore Member Posts: 2
    Yes I have this problem. Changed timing chain, it help for a little while. Now I use thicker oil it helps. Dealer told me it could be the lifters, but there are none in a four cylinders. Will try and adjust vavles next. by the way I have 234,000 miles.
  • gbabcock69gbabcock69 Member Posts: 8
    The rattle you hear is lack of oil pressure at the initial start of the engine. After pressure comes up on the timing chain tensioner it clears up. This is also very common in other engines, the KIA has the same problem.
    It does not seem to be damaging anything but it is anoying. I changed the timing chain on my engine at about 100k miles and it still does it, no change. I guess we just live with it.
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    Some lower quality oil filters lack an anti-drainback valve, thus when the engine is shut off, all of the oil drains back into the crankcase increasing the time it takes the oil system to pressurize upon starting. Not sure if this is your case, but you might try a factory filter at your next oil change and see if it improves things.
  • austinhaaustinha Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had any luck with cup holders in a 1986.5-1995 Nissan hardbody?

Thanks,
    Austin
  • marinanycmarinanyc Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I am very new to car ownership. I bought this truck 3 weeks ago. The mileage on this truck is 92,000 miles. Since I am new at owning a car, what steps should I take to insure the this truck is well maintained? So far the motor of the washer fluid is burnt out since it does not operate. This makes me think I should go to an auto repair shop to ask for a full inspection. However, since I haev never done this before, what should I ask the mechanic? I want a full inspection/diagnostic to identify key problems and potential problems in the future. How do I go about this and what price should I expect? I live in the monterey, Ca area so the truck is at high risk of rust with the salt water from the ocean. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    Does this truck have a timing belt or timing chain? I think this model had the KA24E engine with a timing chain, which is a good thing. (If it has a timing belt, you'll need to determine if it was ever replaced and do so if not.)

And you'll want to check to see when the engine oil was last changed, as well as the transmission oil and the transfer case oil too if it's a 4x4.

Check the coolant and brakes too. You might check the spark plugs if they're easy to get at and look at the spark plug and coil wire set too, but if she's running well I wouldn't be too concerned with the plugs and wires.

Most any mechanic will know the basics of what needs to be checked. Have fun and good luck. :)
  • danwickdanwick Member Posts: 1
    I just had a recent experience and found out that the dealer has already replaced 3 wiring harnesses that were caused from the EXACT same problem. It appears (also after reading these forums) that the tailpipe develops a leak or just falls off. This in turn melts the harness that is directly above the joint just before it goes over the axle. This will then put your vehicle in some kind of "fail safe " mode. Very dangerous if in traffic. After reading a majority of the posts I am wondering if a lot of the dash light problems are caused by this not to mention other quirky issues. Has anybody had the same problem???
  • kduffkduff Member Posts: 2
    I have a fuel problem i replaced pump 2 times, i ran 2 bypass wires to pump with toggle switch, truck runs fine with harness unhooked at tant conn, i replaced relays, checked all connections, any suggestions ? Could pressure regulator be defective ? Although when bypassed it starts right uo runs perfectly,THANKS
  • dragdailydragdaily Member Posts: 5
    Hi im having the same problem aroun 2400 rpm. Did you ever get this problem tracked down. Plesae let me know i have taken it to 3 shops and spent hundreds. thanks Chris
    Hi im having the same problem aroun 2400 rpm. Did you ever get this problem tracked down. Plesae let me know i have taken it to 3 shops and spent hundreds. thanks Chris
    Hi im having the same problem aroun 2400 rpm truck acts like its hitting a rev limiter and smokes black. Did you ever get this problem tracked down. Plesae let me know i have taken it to 3 shops and spent hundreds. thanks Chris
    Hi im having the same problem aroun 2400 rpm truck surges and acts like its hitting the rev limiter.. Did you ever get this problem tracked down. Plesae let me know i have taken it to a shops and spent hundreds and still stuck. thanks Chris
  • tgmantgman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Nissan Kingcab XE V6. About a year ago I started it one morning to go to work and when I pulled out on road I had no power and engine was idling at about 400 rpms. I was told it could be all sorts of problems so I parked it. I recently pulled spark plugs and the ones in cylinders 1 & 2 looked well used and damaged the other 4 looked basically normal but well used. I replaced them and started engine and still it would barely run 400 rpms and cut off. I rechecked the spark plugs after this and they looked black as if they weren't firing properly, I only checked the plugs for 1,2 & 3 cylinders. I have 166,340 miles and I serviced it regularly. Except the spark plugs. I put a new set of Bosch Platinum plugs in 97,000 miles ago and forgot all about them truck ran fine until it did what I described at start of this post. I've been told burnt valves, timing belt(which has never been replaced either..my bad) and catalytic converter. Anyone have any ideas? I have very limited almost no finances so I'd like to see if it's something I might check and repair myself before taking it to a mechanic. Putting in new spark plugs didn't help.
    Any help would be appreciated...I love and miss my truck

PS: I am NO mechanic, obviously but I can do some things mechanical.
  • kduffkduff Member Posts: 2
    Before going to garage you can do several checks yourself, one is to check compression on each cylinder. take out one plug at a time first pull out coil, wire so engine won't start. do not pull on wire but the end at plug connection,do you have compression guage? if not try to borrow one from pep boys, or other parts places, write down compression to each cyl. then squirt a couple squirts oil in each cyl. for squirt can use windex bottle ect, write each test down. remember to do one cyl at a time. replace plug then next one ,an so on. you should have reading of 100lbs or a little above. please be careful to note any differences of each cyl, also note the dry test is before you,, squirt oil in each cyl thats a wet test if the wet shows a lot if usually 5 to 8 lbs difference you have a valve problem but do this test yourself, good luck
  • larcaselarcase Member Posts: 1
    That sounds alot like the throwout bearing
  • jmj57jmj57 Member Posts: 3
    Last week a rim on my 2006 Titan broke. The lug nuts and studs stayed in place, but the rim broke. Because the truck was out of warranty (mine had 46K instead of the 36K warranty number), Nissan said I had to pay. They said that rims break. "Sometimes it happens" said the dealer. The regional rep agreed. Any other Nisaan owners have the same issue? Or others have bad customer service issues with Nissan? We currently own 2 Nissans which we bought new that have the same rims..."That sometimes it happens" that the rims break... Good thing mine broke at 10-15 mph and not 60...otherwise I wouldn't be telling you this today.

I'd never buy another Nissan again...

Comments anyone?
  • kemojrkemojr Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 Nissan PU with 105,000 miles on it. It has been a good truck, I have had problems lately in getting any power when I have to downshift to go up a hill. It seems that I am constantly in fourth gear even when I down shift say to second. No power to go up the hill. It seems that it will not engage first or second grear.
  • byrd2byrd2 Member Posts: 9
    Hi,

My sister has a '95 Nissan, as I recall, small pick-up with the 4 cylinder engine in it. It would only start and barely run with no power after I replaced the plugs, wires, distribuitor cap, and rotor. Cylinder compression is good, adn fuel pressure is also good. After replacing those tune up components, I hgot it started only after setting turning the distributor up against on of the stops, counterclockwise. But as soon as you put it in gear, the engine would die. Hence no power. It has a timing chain, and has 160,000 miles on it. Could it be any f the camshaft/crankshaft position sensors have failed? Or the ignition module, as no check engine light comes on? Or a stretched timing chain, or bad tensioner. It sort of did make a racket from the fron of the engine. A broken timing chain would not allow the engine to start at all, but a loose one would sure throw everything off. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    It sounds like your timing chain has jumped a few teeth. This usually happens on the Nissan Pickup during the startup of the engine. You will hear a loud rattle as the chain tensioner inflates with oil pressure. During this time of low oil pressure, the chain is somewhat loose. If your guides are worn or broken, it will allow the chain to jump the sprocket and knock the cam out of time with the crankshaft. If you check your timing it will indicate good but actually the valves are out of sync with the firing of the pistons.
    The only fix is to replace the timing chain and guides with a good QUALITY replacement kit. Don't do as I did and buy a cheap kit, you will just end up doing it all over again in a very few miles......

Good Luck!
    Gary
  • ivantherussianivantherussian Member Posts: 5
    My truck is a 1989. It runs fine. I work on it some here and there. The shop has done bigger repairs. I have replaced some parts on it. What kind of track history do these vehicles have? It was tuned up in the shop and the compression was acceptable. Mine has the Z24 Engine with the 5 speed.. The engine, clutch, and transmisson are original. It has been a very dependable vehicle, but I am thinking and wondering should this vehicle be replaced?
  • byrd2byrd2 Member Posts: 9
    I'd say they have a fairly good track record. My cousin had one and he had it 'till the body just wasn't any good anymore. I would seriously condsider checking the clutch for wear to see if it needs to replaced, and if so, replace it. And if the body is still decent, and with today's economy, you should probably keep it. 'Cause gas will only go back up, etc. I had a 1992 Ford F-150 I would have kept if the body was in very good shape. It had 260,000 miles on the engine and it showed it. It only ran on 7 cylinders, and the manual tranny had some flukes, but it started every time. I just didn't want to put the money in it, 'cause the body was so bad, and you'd never get your money back out of it. But it was paid for, and everything worked on it.
  • GreycatGreycat Member Posts: 1
    Total newb here. I replaced the distributor cap on my 4 cylinder 1991 nissan pickup. Wasn't paying attention when I took it off and I'm not sure which way to put it BACK. There's a total of five ports for the spark plug wires. Four make a box and then the fifth in the middle. Theres also a little 'nub' that I'm not sure goes on the top or bottom. The manual I have doesn't show how the cap goes on for my model. So I'm not sure which way to put it on, not to mention I now have to get the firing order right and I have NO IDEA how to do that. Theres a number '1' on the cap itself, but I'm not sure where the one starts. If anyone has any info or photos of what it's supposed to look like, I'd greatly appreciate some advice!
  • ivantherussianivantherussian Member Posts: 5
    It runs and suits my purposes. It is beat up pretty bad. It totaled in 2000. The bed box is pretty ugly. The speedometer does not work very well; it is sticky. I have spent some money on it but for normal stuff and minor stuff to keep it running. It still gets 25 mpg on the freeway, even 30 at 55mph. The beautiful thing about this truck is that cant hurt anymore. I have thought about taking the bed off and placing a flatbed on it, that would remove 95% of the body damage. Do you think I could find a flatbed used from a junkyard with some sort of nationwide parts search to fit this truck?
  • plantpotterplantpotter Member Posts: 9
    I have an 86.5 2 x 4 with 187,000. Also with Z24 and 5 speed and original engine, transmission and clutch. Like you have done most of the minor maintenance myself. Has a starting issue on warm rainy mornings when parked outside, but otherwise still running fine every day. Paid for and still averaging 23-25 mpg. I plan to keep it running. Have known two individuals with 300,000 on the original engine that 'outlived' the body. My daughter in college is driving a 94 Altima with 150,000. My experience with Nissan vehicles has been very positive.
  • wise1wise1 Member Posts: 91
    ny water or condensation in the dist. cap could be a problem. I have an 1986-1/2 pickup with the 2.4i engine and would like to know if any of you have had a problem with the engine not downshifting when you floor it for passing?? It's an automatic tranny of course but it bucks like a wild horse when you try to pass a slower vehicle. This truck only has 70000. miles on it and it was my late fathers truck so I'm trying to get things worked out little by little. Also what brand of brake shoes work well on this truck?? The brakes squeel when they are applied. :confuse: :confuse:
  • whitsonjpwhitsonjp Member Posts: 2
    The truck that I have has recently began having severe power problems under 30 mph. It feels like it is starved for fuel, but it idles fine and revs up and down fine. But when it is in gear (auto transmission) it will barley move along at all until it reaches 30 then it takes off. This tells me that it is not plugs or wires. It is also intermittent. Under 30 mph it will barely climb hills or even go up slight inclines. Any thoughts?
    It could be a timing chain that has jumped a few notches on the camshaft sprocket.
    Remove the valve cover and check the front sprocket on the valve cam, You should see a DOT on the cam near one of the teeth. At that point there should be an odd colored link in the timing chain that matches up with the DOT, If not the chain has probably jumped. This will require removing the front of the engine and installing a NEW timing chain kit.

Good Luck!
    Gary
  • whitsonjpwhitsonjp Member Posts: 2
    That seems to be a major issue for this engine. I am puzzled as to why the problem is an issue only at low speeds and only intermittently, because once it reaches 30 mph it takes off like a rabbit. Thanks for the input.
  • boondocker1boondocker1 Member Posts: 1
    My '86 Nissan King Cab truck has a strange problem with the passenger side headlights. When the regular lights are on, the light on that side is slightly dimmer than the one on the driver's side. When I turn on the brights, the bright headlight on that side doesn't come on at all, and the dim light on that side becomes so dim that one must look carefully to see that it is lit any at all. The lights on the driver's side are behaving normally. Any ideas about what could be wrong and/or how to fix this problem?
  • hoofen1hoofen1 Member Posts: 16
    Hi,anyone know where I might find an intake manifold for 1989 nissan,2.4 pickup
    TIA
  • messengermessenger Member Posts: 2
    What brake fluid is best?
  • messengermessenger Member Posts: 2
    If you want a new one you might have to get it from a dealer. I've got parts on the internet from Courtesy, but I don't know if they have the best price on an intake manifold. NAPA and similar auto stores have some of the parts that connect to the manifold.
  • hoofen1hoofen1 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for responding,I,ll check it out.Used is fine,best price I got so far is $200,
    Dealer is outrageous,claiming they don't build them anymore.I don't want to spend more than the truck is worth.
    Merry Christmas
  • bstroudbstroud Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1989 Nissan truck 4cyl that needs a auto trans will a 1993 240z work . What will? Please email stroudbruce@yahoo.com.