Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pickup Owners Hangout

Comments

• mrcharlesbmrcharlesb Member Posts: 3
    I would replace it and the water pump. Much cheaper than a new engine. I had both changed on my 2000 Desert Runner @ 150,000 miles but took a big chance waiting that long.
  • octotruckoctotruck Member Posts: 2
    Hi I recently bought a 89 Nissan 4x4 pickup and have as of yet been unable to identify what this noise is in the front end. It only happens when I cut the wheel left, like as far left as it will go. It sounds like a rubbing or a grinding noise. So far as I can see it is not the tires and it has a metal against metal sound to it. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
  • colohuntercolohunter Member Posts: 17
    Not to worry. There is a metal bumper that prevents the wheel being cranked too far in any given direction (in you case - left). An adjustable bolt hits a sorta curved metal bumper. It's metal on metal and makes the noise when cranked hard. That's all it is. Grease it up and try it again - I'll bet it's gone.
  • c1paddlerc1paddler Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I'm trying to locate my old pickup- a navy blue 1984 Nissan 4x4 Kingcab.
    I traded it on a new car purchase in Gainesville, GA in August of 2003- at Milton Martin Honda. I've contacted them but was told they don't keep records on trades that long ago. They did tell me it probably was sold to either a salvage yard or an auction lot. I have the VIN and called the DOT vehicle registration dept.- no luck there either. It was missing the standard tailgate and had an "Airnet" of nylon webbing in place of the tailgate. The truck bed interior was painted light blue and the outer bed was a flat navy primer. I really want to find it for sentimental reasons. Would love to pass it on to my son. If anyone can help me locate it, or has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. I live in Dalton, GA.
    Thank you,

Ken Hamilton
  • octotruckoctotruck Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for getting back to me. I had a feeling it was something silly like that.
    Thanks again!
  • runrigrunrig Member Posts: 1
    Have a '92 nissan truck 2WD with a four cylinder engine and automatic transmission. The transmission release that is connected to the brake pedal no longer works - to put the truck in gear, driver has to press down the manual transmission release button just behind the shift knob. Can't find the schematic anywhere.

I could use advice on how to fix - thanks in advance!
  • sourkrautgregsourkrautgreg Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem with a mysterious rattle under mytruck. Driving down a dirt road I got fed up and looked under my truck to see a rock lodged between my gas tank and shroud that protects it. It took a minute to pull it out and life has been much improved
  • 99frontfan99frontfan Member Posts: 1
    I had a 96 model that did the same thing. It was the dimmer switch. Sounds crazy but when the dealership changed it out ( it was still under warranty) never had the problem again.
  • penistenpenisten Member Posts: 6
    Looks like my clutch is hydraulic. Where do I check and fill its reservoir? Location of reservoir opening please.

Have lost clutch spring tension. Hard to shift.
  • topasnajamestopasnajames Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 84 DATSUN Z24, I BOUGHT THIS TRUCK AROUND 2 MONTHS AGO. FROM DAY 1 IT HAS HAD SERIOUS BOGGING PROBLEMS. I HAVE REPLACED THE ORIGINAL CARB WITH A WEBER 34/34 DGEC, HAD IDLE PROBLEMS BUT REPLACED THE DISTRIBUTER, CAP, AND ROTOR. GOT THE IDLE AT ABOUT 1000RPMS. REPLACED OLD SPARK PLUGS WITH NEW ONES AND OLD WIRESET..THEN WE TOOK IT OUT FOR A DRIVE AND I GOT THROUGH 1ST GEAR SHIFTED INTO 2ND, AND IT BOGGED AND DIED. SO THEN WE PUT IT UP ON JACK STANDS AND TRIIED TO SEE HOW FAR THROUGH THE GEARS WE COULD GET WITHOUT IT BOGGING. IT DROVE LIKE A TRUCK IS SUPPOSE TO, ALL THE WAY FROM 1ST TO 5TH. (INCLUDING DOWNSHIFTING TO SEE IF IT WOULD DIE) NOTHING HAPPENED, IT RAN LIKE A CHAMP. SET IT DOWN AND WENT TO DRIVE AGAIN AND SAME PROBLEM. AND IDEAS??
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    I'm not familiar with older Frontiers, but generally the clutch fluid reservior is mounted on the firewall in the engine bay, high up almost over the pedal. It's small, taking perhaps only 2 to 8 Oz. (??) depending. Chances are it takes DOT 3 brake fluid -- the cap will confirm what should go in there (don't guess). If you have the owner's manial, it'll be shown.

The new generation Frontiers draw their clutch fluid from the brake fluid reservior, which is large. You can see a connection between the reservior and the clutch master cylinder. Yours may be like this, but probably not. Good luck with your fix.
    Thanks "asa". Right after I posted that question, I went out and found the reservoir. It is right where you said it would be.

It was full, but the fluid was dark looking. Probably from frying the clutch while trying to get up over that loose dirt hill in the National Forest. It was already showing signs of wearing out. (175,000 miles) and this foolishness on my part just finished it off.

A AAA tow truck managed to get in there and get me out of that tight spot. I managed to drive the pick up home and then a few days later had the entire clutch and hydraulics replaced.

It drives good and tight again. Its really a great little rig. But it is going to take a while to pay the bill.

I've decided to fix it up to looking pretty good. Just had a new radio/player professionally installed in it. Gives my Sweety something to do on long journeys.

Next will be paint, (right now it is just a primer gray.).

Thanks again for your response. It was "right on".
    edited July 2010
    Glad you are rolling again. Good news! Be aware that brake fluid is an excellent paint remover, so be cautious.

Old trucks are fun to work on and yours sounds like a great project. I love my '06 Frontier, but sometimes miss the rugged simplicity of my '86 Toyota truck.
    Thanks "Asa". Yeah. Rolling for sure. Just finished a trip through Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and then back through Nevada again. Actually glad to get back to "central headquarters" again. It being so hot and all.

Man! I sure attract Law enforcement. Several times in Oregon, Nevada and California the highway troopers would ride my tail and check me out. It must be the old gray priimer and the tarped load...giving me the poor man's "Grapes Of Wrath" look. They dont stop me though. Eventually they are satisfied that i am not a drug or gun runner and peel off.

Gotta get some new paint on the ol' buggy. Spruce it up a bit. Thought my colors of white top half and green bottom half would look nice. The "86" lends itself well to this configuration, because of the center molding in the body. Then maybe paint the rims white and the tire lugs green.

Maybe I can use brake fluid to remove my old "2008 Nader For President" sticker on the hood and tail gate.

Anyway, It was nice to see your cheerful response Asa. May your miles be many and good. 2006 eh? Practically brand new. I bet they have gotten more "teched up" and more complicated to work on. I like not having power steering or brakes, (other than the vacumn booster thing).
    :)
    edited July 2010
    Heh heh -- your post brings a smile ... Grapes Of Wrath, Nader For President sticker removal, etc.!

Wow -- your western trip itinerary breaks my heart. My wife and I would love to take a two week vacation someday and drive west (we're near the Atlantic coast) to see the Dakotas, Montana and Wyoming.

We just returned from a trip to TN, VA and WV in my wife's new VW TDI w/6-Speed stick. Averaged 32 MPG on mountainous local roads and 46 MPG on the Interstate. Too bad that diesels haven't taken root here in the U.S.. Nissan sells the Frontier as the Navara elsewhere in the world and with a time-proven diesel. Diesels are great for trucks, delivering extraordinary amounts of torque.
  • birdslayerbirdslayer Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem. Someone mentioned vacuum pump connection. Did you get you problem resolved? I'm dieing to find a resolution to my problem.
  • jsan1jsan1 Member Posts: 9
    If you are tired of the Frontier's front armrest and need some comfort and support and I really mean comfort, I currently manufacture an armrest that sits and attaches to the top of the existing armrest that slides forward up to six inches and slides back in place when not in use. Does not interfere with cupholders and you can still open the console lid in the forward or rear position. E-mail me for a brochure. These look factory installed and you will not believe the difference. I made my first one after purchasing a 2010 Pioneer and would have traded it if I had not come up with this idea. Check it out, no charge for a brochure.I'm not real sure, but I think they will fit 2006 forward. I hope I can help.
    Thanks for the offer Isan1. Right now I have an old bench seat. No console and such. But I do intend to make improvements in that area as soon as I can.

The bench seat has served me well. I have learned to curl up on it and sleep, when I have road fatigue. Sometimes, (weather permitting), I just let my feet dangle out the window. I suppose someday I will be awakened by a Bear chewing on my stinky toes. And it provides the best amount of usable space when my wife and "min-pin" is with me.
  • gearhead69gearhead69 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 97 nissan 4cyl 4x4 p/u with a mass air problem replaced it with new
    one but still have the same problem the truck will not rev passed 3 grand
    i have checked the wiring all the way to the ecm and have continuity on all
    three mass air wires i have good ground and 12 volts on sensor but i only
    have .69 volts on signal wire anyone else seen this
  • kch112654kch112654 Member Posts: 1
    My 1986 nissan trucks gas gauge and temp gauge went out at the same time.They came back on then went out again and wont come back on.It is only these 2 gauges.I need help .Thanks
  • derwood_tomderwood_tom Member Posts: 1
    Could you drop me the information? I have a 2010 Nissan SE 4x4 Crew Cab :)
  • rodranierrodranier Member Posts: 10
    My air condition only blows on the highest setting which is 4. The blower doesn't work when switched to settings 1,2 or 3. Any thoughts?

rodranier
    I have a 1999 Nissan Maxima that has no lights on the instrument panel or on the gear shifter letters...sounds like a fuse? Any thoughts?

rodranier
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    If you're electronically inclined you can remove the control unit and replace the diodes for each setting or you can try and find one on ebay and replace the panel which is plug and play.
    Thanks!
    Derwood tom, If you E-mail me at sjackl@bellsouth.net I will be glad to send you a brochure. I currently have black and beige in stock and try to match the color of the armrest. I can send you the instructions for install. I hope I can help!
  • jack186jack186 Member Posts: 1
    I would be very interested in seeing your brochure.
  • steelrajsteelraj Member Posts: 1
    I have an 85' Nissan 720 Pickup with a "Z-24" motor. I recently left my key switch on and it drained my battery. I had the battery and Altenator checked and replaced both of them. I started driving it and whenever I would turn the lights or wipers (or both) on for an extended period of time the truck will cut off. I replaced the battery and altenator again now I noticed the Horn and tail lights do not work. My inside Dash board lights dont work as well. Could a relay be bad? I check the fuses and they are ok. Any help will be appreciated. Tks!
    Raj
    My e-mail address is on post 700. E-mail me and I will send you the brochure in pdf.
    Thanks
  • spence35spence35 Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2010
    I have a 97 hardbody 4x4.I got k&n filter, an o2 chip ,an air temp sensor chip,any more bolt on stuff anyone know of. i want to put 31x10.5 tires back on,it has no power with them on.its a 2.4 w/ manual trans.
  • armedhippyarmedhippy Member Posts: 2
    Get yur head a little lower,and look ABOVE the fuse panel.There are 4 relays there.
  • armedhippyarmedhippy Member Posts: 2
    Get it up on a lift and check the rubber bushings on the suspension throughout the chassis.Check the driveshaft carrier bearing as well.I have the same truck,300,000 plus miles and it has squeaked the last 100,000..no biggie,I wil do them all soon.Main problem with this truck is the mpg,but it is surely a future collectible.
  • wise1wise1 Member Posts: 91
    My 86 pickup has a very rough idle. It acts like it is starved for gas but runs good otherwise. This truck doesn't have a MAF so what would cause it to shake and tremble when first cranked and it continues to have a shaky idle at stop signs or red lights??? Also what brake pads and shoes have you used that worked well,are Quiet and last a long time??? Any help is appreciated. :confuse: :confuse:
  • codeman101codeman101 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 95 nissan pickup v6 ex cab 2wd with 160k. I have tried to fill the tank up twice and when i start it up the meter rises normally but wont go pat 3/4 of a tank. What could be the cause of this? Any help is greAtly appreciated.
    edited November 2010
    If you or your spouse is struggling with the short "stubby" armrest which contributes to driver fatigue. Check out our simple website at www.greatarmrest.shutterfly.com and see what our armrest can offer Frontier drivers."MAKES A GREAT CHRISTMAS PRESENT".
  • flinstone2flinstone2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 90 Nissan pickup that has a 2.4 4-cylinder engine in it and was wondering how easy it would be to swap that engine out for the 2.0 liter RB20DET engine from the skyline. And what kind of modifications (if any) would be needed. And any in-site would be helpful. Thanks
  • jamiejimbo622jamiejimbo622 Member Posts: 1
    HI everyone, I am at a loss here. My pickup will sometimes start and run but alway die with little warning and will then turn over but act like its gettin no fuel. Often when it runs I will constantly stomp the pedal to keep from stalling. Changed fuel filter and connections made them as good as I could to battery. Then replaced fuel pump relay as well as main relays as they were clicking - getting energized continuously when ign is on. Main relay still clicks intermitedly and don't know where it goes to. The fuel pump sounds louder then it should I believe and it too will continue to humm irradically. Sometimes it acts fine most times it will run and shut off while ign is on. Problems arent new with vehicle. I fried electrical system back in may switching pos and neg terminals with batt posts and had computer and fuel injector replaced. Until a month or so ago ran no problem except often when starting cold it would turn over but not run on first cranking. Had to crank keys in ign twice. I heard I ought to replace the fuel pump. I bench tested it in bucket of water and it ran fine quiet and smooth good pressure it appeared- didn't use gauge to measure it. Even if it is a bad fuel pump why is my main relay clicking irradically? Where does the relay go to? Haynes manual doesn't seem to have an answer. Last I can think of- turn lights on front of truck quit working together. Rear work no problem don't know if they burned out but odd if they both burned out same time. Great truck I want to hold on to it and need it to pick up some goats quick. What do you guys think is the problem? Much obliged Jamie Jimbo
  • kwikwing2kwikwing2 Member Posts: 1
    Speedometer works sometimes. Replaced speed sensor at transmission. No big help after spending nearly $200. Pulled guages at dash & cleaned contacts & no big help.
  • 84nis72084nis720 Member Posts: 1
    i bought an 84 nissan/datsun 720 pickup and it has a flatbed on it. I would like to get a new bed for it. Would like to know if anyone knows were you can buy a bed or bed parts. Thanks all responses are appreciated!
  • 95kingcabauto95kingcabauto Member Posts: 1
    i have a 95 nissan king cab se/xe and just want the most basic way to paint it that will cost me nearly nothing. i dont care if it looks kinda [non-permissible content removed] when i get more finacially ready il re paint the thing, its fricken tuquoise with that gay lil design goin down the side. and one done anything like this? information is helpfull. thank you sirs
    We are generating a lot of calls regarding the Frontier's stubby armrest. For further information go to www.greatarmrest.shutterfly.com and view the pictures and installation instructions. We have helped hundreds of dissatisfied Frontier owners.
  • rfc269rfc269 Member Posts: 1
    What size engine does it have, if it is a 4 cyl. No, don't recommend it.
    In the second sentence he states that it is a V6. Another thing to note is that the post was made back in March of 2004. Just to let you know...
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Gotta love it when someone responds to a post 7 yrs old!........ :confuse:
  • wyomingpaganwyomingpagan Member Posts: 1
    So the timing chain guide ended up in the oil pan in pieces and the chain rubbed a groove in the water jacket part of the timing cover. Water in the oil led to over heating and the like. I replaced the oil pump, water pump, head gasket & bolts, oil pan gasket, etc. washed the engine out with carb cleaner and had the head hot tanked to clean it and had it checked over by a machine shop. Had the timing cover welded shut and cleaned it up too. New oil, new coolant, new seals all around... got the timing reset and adjusted and it ran just swell. Normal operating temp and more power and acceleration that it had known in since i bought it. Drove 10 miles on the highway at 75 and 80 and then stopped to look everything over. shut off the engine, checked the dipstick and radiator. topped up the coolant with about 2 cups of water and went to hit the road. when i started the engine, the head/valves/ top of the engine area made a hell of a racket that sounded a lot like a diesel engine. I shut it off and pulled the valve cover. the cam sprocket bolt was a little loose to the wrench, but when i tightened it, it felt like it stripped out, and i wasn't near 50lbs of torque on it either.
    Did the cleaning process damage the valves/ rocker arms?
    why did it idle for hours and then develop this noise while shut off?
    am i going to have to pull the head again? or might this be a problem in the top part of the cam?

thanks for input,
    Russ
  • jostein1jostein1 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 86 nissan king cab, but im missing a tailgate, i was wondering what tailgates might fit, older or newer or other car brands??
  • roaddog50roaddog50 Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2011
    I have a 75 Chevy Luv I painted with a spray can. You have to do the taping and prep, work first. Sand everything down and tape off everything. (I mean everything, tires and bumpers etc, etc) Over spray is your enemy! Make sure you do it in sections. Example: make sure you always spray past what you are painting. Don't start in the middle! If you are painting a fender just do the fender. the door, the top. You can always come back and blend in the paint. Good Luck and it is cheap. Take your time it will look good.
    I believe the website for this armrest is www.greatarmrest.shutterfly.com , is that yours?
  • 87_pu_convert87_pu_convert Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    Hi new guy here
    I have a 1987 nissan pu with a z 24 4 cylinder engine that has gone bad. I am considering an upgrade to a 6 cylinder vg30I because I can get a great deal on one. Has anyone done this or is it even recomended?

Thanks
    I thought the SR20DET would plug and play.