Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pickup Owners Hangout

Comments

• jsan1jsan1 Posts: 9
    We are generating a lot of calls regarding the Frontier's stubby armrest. For further information go to www.greatarmrest.shutterfly.com and view the pictures and installation instructions. We have helped hundreds of dissatisfied Frontier owners.
  • rfc269rfc269 Posts: 1
    What size engine does it have, if it is a 4 cyl. No, don't recommend it.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    In the second sentence he states that it is a V6. Another thing to note is that the post was made back in March of 2004. Just to let you know...
  • godeacsgodeacs Posts: 481
    Gotta love it when someone responds to a post 7 yrs old!........ :confuse:
  • So the timing chain guide ended up in the oil pan in pieces and the chain rubbed a groove in the water jacket part of the timing cover. Water in the oil led to over heating and the like. I replaced the oil pump, water pump, head gasket & bolts, oil pan gasket, etc. washed the engine out with carb cleaner and had the head hot tanked to clean it and had it checked over by a machine shop. Had the timing cover welded shut and cleaned it up too. New oil, new coolant, new seals all around... got the timing reset and adjusted and it ran just swell. Normal operating temp and more power and acceleration that it had known in since i bought it. Drove 10 miles on the highway at 75 and 80 and then stopped to look everything over. shut off the engine, checked the dipstick and radiator. topped up the coolant with about 2 cups of water and went to hit the road. when i started the engine, the head/valves/ top of the engine area made a hell of a racket that sounded a lot like a diesel engine. I shut it off and pulled the valve cover. the cam sprocket bolt was a little loose to the wrench, but when i tightened it, it felt like it stripped out, and i wasn't near 50lbs of torque on it either.
    Did the cleaning process damage the valves/ rocker arms?
    why did it idle for hours and then develop this noise while shut off?
    am i going to have to pull the head again? or might this be a problem in the top part of the cam?

thanks for input,
    Russ
  • jostein1jostein1 Posts: 1
    I have an 86 nissan king cab, but im missing a tailgate, i was wondering what tailgates might fit, older or newer or other car brands??
  • roaddog50roaddog50 Posts: 2
    edited June 2011
    I have a 75 Chevy Luv I painted with a spray can. You have to do the taping and prep, work first. Sand everything down and tape off everything. (I mean everything, tires and bumpers etc, etc) Over spray is your enemy! Make sure you do it in sections. Example: make sure you always spray past what you are painting. Don't start in the middle! If you are painting a fender just do the fender. the door, the top. You can always come back and blend in the paint. Good Luck and it is cheap. Take your time it will look good.
  • jsan1jsan1 Posts: 9
    I believe the website for this armrest is www.greatarmrest.shutterfly.com , is that yours?
  • 87_pu_convert87_pu_convert Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    Hi new guy here
    I have a 1987 nissan pu with a z 24 4 cylinder engine that has gone bad. I am considering an upgrade to a 6 cylinder vg30I because I can get a great deal on one. Has anyone done this or is it even recomended?

Thanks
    I thought the SR20DET would plug and play.
  • It's been raining alot lately and I notice while driving, when I brake, my truck seems to skid instead of slow down & stop. It has ABS but it doesn't seem to work like ABS should. Anyone got any ideas?
  • Try re-bleeding the entire brake system, including at the abs solenoid which is located underneath and slightly behind the passenger seat (I have a standard cab, and I believe it is right at the beginning of the bed - not sure exactly where to look on an extended cab). The service manual specifies a particular sequence to follow - you might call a dealer service dept to find out what is recommended.
  • wise1wise1 Posts: 90
    I need to replace the rear brake shoes on my nissan truck. 1986 with 2.4 engine 2 wheel drive. What shoes have you used with great success?? Comments anyone?? :shades:
    Thanks for the reply. Could you be a little more specific. Are these semi-metallic, ceramic or other material. Did they last a long time and have good stopping power?? Were they quiet??? Did you get them at your local auto parts store or did you order them off the net??? If so where did you get them?? Thanks for your reply. Anyone else have a suggestion for brake shoes??? :shades: :shades:
  • I have a 2004 Titan that has been a nightmare with the front and rear breaks. In defense of Nissan, I have 197,000 mile and have only paid for one brake job. I put on drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic brakes and wow, what a difference. I have about 40,000 mile on them and I could not be any happier. I purchased off ebay, 4 rotors and shoes for $250.00. They came out of Chicago. The pads are Evolution brand. NO break dust, NO issues.
    Now I have to try and remember as I haven't owned that hardbody for some years. I've used Raybestos for over 20 years with no problems. Well I did have one on a '02 Yukon where the counter guy at Checker's gave me the wrong set.

I usually order it online to be picked up at a local store. Since O'Reilly's bought out Checkers I've been ordering online with them.

Come to think about it even the cheapest of shoes would work ok since these are rear drums we are talking about. Most of the braking power comes from the front.
    Thanks, I'll do some research on Raybestos and see what's available. These are the original shoes as the truck now has 788?? miles on it. I took the drums off and cleaned them up so that's one thing out of the way. 25+ years so I'm grateful they have lasted this long but they are getting very thin. ;) ;)
  • Hello,

I was driving my 91 Nissan p/u, parked it and turned it off. turned the key to wind up the windows and the car was literally dead. After about 20 minutes all power came back on and I was able to drive it home no problem. After turning off the engine again the same thing happened.

When I turn the key there is nothing. No dash lights, no fuel pump noise etc. When I open the door the dome light doesn't come on. When I close the door, the dash clock comes on, but goes off when I open the door. The funny thing is the headlights work and are full strength. The battery is less than one year old.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Try checking your battery connections.
  • Battery connections are tight, henc the headlights still work.
  • Help!!! My dome light fuse (also includes radio and clock) keeps blowing - took dash board partly apart and tried to trace - couldn't find anything. Does anybody have a similar experience or a good idea on spot under the dash where wires consistently get rubbed bare and start causing a hard short - I tried putting a in a 25 amp fuse and it blew that instantly. Help!!! One guy suggested a relay switch but I can't fine one that works on this circuit. Another guy suggested I need to replace the entire fuse panel..... Sounds pretty unlikely.....
  • rear wheel drive, 4 cylinder automatic - the main hub bolts on the front bearings are coming loose, requiring bearings to be repacked. The front tires are balding on the inside as a result. When I repacked the bearings, I noticed the main hub bolts were already loose. Only days after repacking the bearings, they are loose again. ANY IDEAS? alignment?
  • filmorobfilmorob Posts: 3
    edited January 2012
    Water temp & gas gauge quit working at the same time. Any ideas?
  • babbs3babbs3 Posts: 50
    After becoming disappointed with Ford and their quality I am considering a Nissan Frontier. Years ago I looked at one and was surprised at how bare bones it was (but not the price). Please give me honest feedback on good or bad on this truck. Also where is it mfg.?
  • steelydansteelydan Posts: 133
    Ok, I bought a 2011 Nissan Frontier 6 cyl SV (midline) Crew Cab with a preferred equipment group and a utility equipment group. It also had side step rails . I bought new from a Nissan dealer, no problem with selection.

I am assuming you know that if you are looking for a mid size pickup, the domestics have pretty much thrown in the towel. Both the Ranger and Dakota have been discontinued, the Chevy Colorado is ancient and it's upcoming replacement looks the Chavy Equinox, in other words, a girlie truck.

I drove a 2011 Tacoma Crew Cab and was very impressed with its ride & drive, but they are expensive and low on selection, colors ,etc. Keep in mind I was looking last August , so Toyota inventories were really down due to the earthquake in Japan.

After driving the Tacoma, that woke me up to driving the Frontier , so I took home a Frontier for an overnight evaluation. I ended up buying the Frontier, the $3500 rebate on the 2011's , the good trade in allowance, and the really good dealership personnel sealed the deal. They were willing to deal .

The Nissan Frontier has been assembled in Smyrna , Tennessee since the 1980's. The Nissan Titan is also assembled there, indeed , the Frontier shares many parts with the Titan, including the fully boxed frame , axle and brake assemblies.

I am too long here, so I will shorten up Pros & Cons:

Pros:

1. A real working, no nonsense truck......but civilized enough to be the 2nd car....

2. A torquey, quiet 6 cylinder that is composed at all times. The 5 SP auto delivers smooth shifts, whether lightly loaded or hauling a trailer. There is an O/D lockout switch for towing. A very quiet drivetrain .

3. Nimble handling, corners very well, a good ride ! I am not kidding about this. Excellent brakes, speed sensitive rack and pinion steering has a nice feel at all speeds.

4. Excellent seats and driving position. Nice steering wheel with audio controls, cruise control well placed on the wheel. Bluetooth controls on the wheel.

5. Flexible interior in the crew cab. The rear seat is 60/40, both sides flip up and stay to reveal 2 storage compartments with cargo netting on top. There is some storage behind the seat back for flat items like jumper cables , etc. The storage compartments are removable if desired for transporting something really heavy in the back. The passenger front seat folds down flat to make a "work desk" for the driver.

Cons:

1. Gas mileage is about the same as a full size 6 cylinder truck. I am getting about 19 mpg in a mix of city/highway driving. I have gotten about 21 mpg on the highway at posted legal speeds. The reason? This Frontier weighs about 4,200 lbs, close to a full size weight. I drive smoothly and anticipate stops, etc. A hot rodder would get less. It uses regular gas.

2. No trip computer on the midline SV model. I figure out my gas mileage religiously , but I just think the trip computer should be included at the midline price point. You have to step up to a top line trim , and the price goes up by at least $2000 (a guess, maybe more). I guess you could rephrase this by stating the Frontier has inflexible option packages.

3. The turning radius is not tight enough. I know this might be an advantage if you are backing up a trailer, but in a tight parking area, I have been forced to back up and turn again more than once. I now anticipate these situations.

2. The interior is a little stark, but hey, this a truck. I now think this is a good thing, as my son is in Boy Scouts and we go camping monthly. The interior is easy to clean .

Sorry for being long winded, I will just say this: The Tacoma wins in rear seat comfort and interior appointments, but for a real truck personality, the Nissan Frontier shines. It does nothing poorly, and is actually fun to drive. And the entry price is lower.

Finally, it is garage able easily and easier to park it. The garage issue was why I passes on a full size truck. I have to believe this Frontier is more fun to drive than a full size truck, but it is big enough to get 5 people inside without squeezing .
  • babbs3babbs3 Posts: 50
    Thank you Steelydan for the honest review on the Frontier. I knew about the demise of all the small trucks (no Rangers any more in N.A. after this year too) but the mpg did not impress me . I am an old gal but I too like to watch my driving habits (no jack rabbit starts, slow down for lights etc.). Due to problems with the crazy 6sp. auto that Ford is now using I need to know how the auto. trans. is in the Frontier? The horrible asian 6 sp. auto is not what I want (have had a 2010 and a 2011 and they both do not perform correctly). Ford will never admit any mistakes for this tranny. I have owned 2 Nissans in the past and I LOVED both autos. BTW...the 'girlie remark was a bit sexist. I like a vehicle that performs well and runs good including trucks and SUVs. Thank again,all info was helpful.
    the 5 spd auto in the Frontier is fine, actually more than fine.........it shifts extremely well...........
  • corkscrewcorkscrew Posts: 254
    This being my first Nissan post, I would like to start by saying hello to all. We bought a 2011 Crew Cab SV with the Premium Utillity Package. The plan was to have 2 vehicles, the Frontier and our 2007 Honda. After visiting the dealership and a long test drive, my wife decided to trade the Honda in. Now our only vehicle is the Frontier.
    Steelydan's review is right on, although I would like to see a locking gas cap and a seperate switch to control the dash lights. Now the trip odometer reset button has 2 functions, push to reset the odometer and rotate to set dash lights bright or dim.
    We recently returned from a 1000 mile trip where we used 22.1 gallons for the first 487 miles or 22mpg. This was at posted limits using cruise where possible. City driving is 15mpg on a good week and 14 on a bad week.
    The Frontier handles well, is comfortable and has a smaller gas tank than Ford. My wife agreeing to trade in that 30 plus mpg sedan for a pickup, well, I never saw that coming and we are glad we bought it.
    corkscrew, you are right about both suggestions.......my post was long enough !

Actually, while we are nitpicking here, the whole dash lighting could be a little bit brighter.......I find the orange lighting to be adequate, but not really bright...the gauges themselves are very informative and easy to read...

I agree also on the gas tank......330-350 miles is about the max range you can expect.