Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Sharp!!
    Thanks!

Lowering springs are a must. 18"s help a lot too!
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Very nice! But I'm glad I don't have to keep it clean.

I still think the hood needs something - either the GT500 hood or racing stripes or (preferably), both!
    or so Gino Vanelli says.

Luckily, I am one who likes to wash my car, so I'll get used to it. I am not a fan of the stripes on black cars, but on a bright red one, nice fat white strpied would look nice, or blue on a white car.
    I think s subtle (dark) grey stripe would look good on the black.

Make sure you don't wash it with a sponge! You'll get 'spider webs'. Use a lambs wool mitt.
    Sponge..people actually use sponges? :cry:

I already have the new lamb's wool mitt in my garage as the car is ready for its first bath. I also have a new synthetic chamois ready. I have a lot of experience with black cars and by the fall, the car, like all my other cars, will be wetsanded to get rid of the orange peel effect.

Right now just a simple buff, maybe Meguiars, and "Wax-as-U-Dry" in between after every wash. That product is excellent.

I have to say, themore I hear the Shaker 500, the more impressed I am with it. initially it was disappointing coming from a Pro Logic 5.1 sysytem in my Volvo. Now after a few days, it is sounded much better to these ears.
  • cigarmanbluecigarmanblue Member Posts: 31
    Maybe an ignorant question, but, what is wetsanding ? Looks like I'll be ordering black, so i could use the info
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Wet sanding is actually exactly what it sounds like.....adding some sort of lubricant (usually water) to the surface and then taking a power sander to it. It tends to smooth out the surface and is usually done after a coat of paint is put on a car. It's used by custom painters when applying multiple coats of paint.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Power sander???

I've only seen it done by hand, using wet/dry sandpaper of course.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Power sander???

This thought will cause me nightmares tonight.
    Whoa, maybe I'll leave it up to a detailer .
    If you thought you could use a power sander - then yes, I would HIGHLY recommend you leave it to a professional. The clear coat is very thin and it doesn't take much to cut right through it and then you have a mess, especially on the edges.
  • liveoakieliveoakie Member Posts: 17
    I want some opinions on synthetic or conventional motor oil. Also oil change intervals synthetic vs. conventional.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    We have an entire discussion on just this subject, so please post your question there (otherwise we'll derail this discussion into motor oil land...)

Engine Oil - A slippery subject Part 2
    I've seen wet sanding done both ways....by hand and with a power sander. Either way, it's not something I'd attempt as an amateur.

And it is true that clear coat is thin. Any sanding (wet or dry) would remove a good portion of it.

I've only seen it done at shops that do custom paint jobs....and only when they are applying multiple coats of paint.
    Has anyone heard if they'll producing the "Tangerine" color in 06' ?
    tangerine? No such plans.

Matter of fact, I think the color will stay the same with the possible addition of a titanium color. Just the names for the same colors will change.
    What do you mean "the names for the same colors will change?"

They don't change the names unless they actually change the colors. Sometimes there is only a tiny difference between the old and new colors so they may appear to be the same but in fact they are different. Ford does this a lot.
    My friend has wetsanded my 99 Mustang GT, the silver looked absolutely stunning, like a freaking mirror and when it was dirty, you could hardly tell. He charges me $300.00 for this, which is a lot less than the 700-1100 he charges non-friends. For a laugh he did my wife's '98 Contour, a Toreador Red that was incredible, when I put the car for sale, it was sold by the forst person who saw it. Actually, same with the Mustang.

Then he did my 2002 Volvo S60 T5, black saphire, and my wife's 2002 Explorer EB, black. He had a hard time with the Volvo but it turned out great. Apparently, he says that Ford's paint is very durable and reacts well to the wet sanding process. He is a little concerned about the newer Fords, like mine, and cars in general as the paint is getting thinner and thinner.

He gets extremely fine sandpaper, so fine to the touch it feels soft and with a hose of running water gently rubs the entire car down. It takes quite a while with a 2" x 3" piece of sand paper! then he reapplies the clearcoat and wax and you have a car that looks like a mirror. Forever. it is something that is and can only be done once. no more orange peel.

I will wait a few months, let the car get exposed to sunlight and then do it. For now a simple buff will do.
    Reapplies the clearcoat??? You mean he actually repaints the car after wetsanding? Are you sure it's not just polish followed by wax?
    Well, if you were to see the car after he wetsands it, you would be firghtened. It looks like it needs to be repainted! Yeah, he reapplies the clear coat, then polishes. When I say clear copat I mean the finish, not a clear coat of paint.
    I'm confused. Clear coat is exactly that - a clear coat of paint. Paint with no pigment. It goes on over the base color in one or more coats. It has to be sprayed on just like any other paint. So does he actually repaint the clear coat, then polish and wax?
    Interesting........

"It redesigned the Mustang on the Jag S-Type platform..."

(sigh)

The only thing it shares with the DEW98 platform (S-type, LS, Tbird) is the floor pan and fuel tank. EVERYTHING ELSE IS NEW. Do these automobile writers not even read the articles in competing publications?
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    The only thing it shares with the DEW98 platform (S-type, LS, Tbird) is the floor pan

And even that's a stretch to say because the Mustang is a good bit shorter in length than the other DEW98 platform mates. Therefore the floor pan stampings can't be all that similar either.
    I am confusing you. Ijust dropped the car off today for a buff. He was going to test a spot to see if the car is suitable for wetsanding.

This is the definitive answer. He says cars come with 3 or 4 coats of clearcoat. He will remove 1, maybe 2. he does not reapply clearcoat. The orange peel effect happens from too much clearcoat. The less clearcoat, the more color, the deeper it looks because it is more visible underneath the clearcoat.

I hope it will be able to be wetsanded, as he also says many companies are only puttin two coats of clear.
    Don't know if you stated this before, but why are they "wet sanding" your car?

I'd have to disagree with your "painter" that the less clearcoat the more color.

The entire reason car companies went to clear coats was to give the car pigment more depth and shine. Plus, it serves to protect the pigment layers underneath the clear coat.

Orange peel effect has nothing to do with clear coat. It has everything to do with how the paint was applied, though. While you can lessen the "orange peel" effect by using a polishing compound, wet sanding is totally unneccessary and a harsh alternative.
    Came back from lunch today and noticed something on my Mustang's windshield. Someone left their business card with a note stating "love your car! if interested, I'd be willing to buy it for $28,000"

Now, who knows if the person is legitimate or not, but at that price, it would be about $2,400 OVER what I paid for it new and about what the MSRP was. I've got ~1,000 miles on it, too.

I doubt I'll call, but who knows....curiosity may get the better of me.
    You are correct about more clear coats being better - gives it more depth. Custom car builders sometimes use 8 or 9 clear coats.

However, to get rid of orange peel you really must wet sand the car starting with either 1000 or 1500 grit wet paper depending on how bad it is and finishing with 2000 grit, then buff and wax to restore the shine. Polishing alone won't usually do it.
    Exactly and by wetsanding the car loses some clearcoat. Which is alright because all of my cars have looked absolutely stunning to this point. It simply always shines whether clean or dirty. If done correctly, the only orange peel you will see will be at the supermarket. Since he did my 99 Mustang GT, I have become a firm beleiver. I just came back with my properly buffed and polished car. Aside from looking fantastic, he did a little spot and he says that it can be wetsanded...hooray! That little spot on the lower bumper looks funny because it looks like a different pain compared to the rest of the giant orange, painted black of course. :)
    Just to be clear - the extra shine is because the clearcoat is now perfectly smooth, not because there is less of it. If you put on 8 coats of clear, properly color sanded, it would look better than just color sanding the 2 coats put on by the mfr.
    Better hang on to it for now. You'll need more than $28k to buy another one.
  • liveoakieliveoakie Member Posts: 17
    I bet tax and license was close to 2400. at least in CA it is!
    I did actually call the guy. He's been trying to buy a Mustang GT, equipped exactly like mine (redfire, red interior, 5-speed, bullitt wheels, side airbags, active alarm), since the beginning of Feb. He's had no luck.

He said he's been to every Ford lot in the area and they either wanted over MSRP for the few he's seen in stock, or that he's just "missed" ones that have shown up on the lots when he called to get inventory status.

I told him I ordered mine in Feb and took delivery in March. He said he's tried to order, too. He said no one will order one for him either.

I mentioned that he could order an '06 in 2-3 weeks. He said he wanted a "first year new Mustang GT".

In short, I told him I wasn't a seller but did appreciate his interest. He said he understood and that he would continue his search. He said he was a "collector" (whatever that means). He's got a '67 Corvette and a '71 240Z. He wanted to add the Mustang to his stable as a daily driver. Not bad company at all.
    All mustangs are now 5 speeds (as are a lot of other vehicles). You'll have to start saying stick or manual if you mean manual.
    I'm a little remiss. Yes, both the auto and manual are 5-speeds. I'll qualify from now on. MINE'S A MANUAL TRANNY (5-speed).
    A "collector" huh? No, not bad company at all!

I thought those guys kept their babies in garages and didn't use them as daily drivers though? :P

At the rate things are going with the Mustang right now MY06 copies will be collectors items too! But if this madness carries in to MY07 I'm going to :cry: my eyes out!
    First thing I thought when he told me he was a "collector" was he wanted to buy mine and see if he could put it on ebay and make some $$$$ since these things are as hard to come by as "hens teeth".

I don't know what the guy uses as a daily driver now since all I had was the card he left on my windshield with his handwritten note. Didn't see what he was driving at the time.

When he told me of his "other cars", I thought he might be legit. Still, I'm not interested in selling.
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    How's the 5-speed (manual that is) on the 2005?

I've heard it shifts much more smoothly than the previous gen (which is like shifting a pickup truck). Is the shifter still angled toward the driver? Also, is 5th gear still really tall? My 2002 is basically a 4-spd with overdrive (which I view, along with the car's ride quality, as an unintentional but charming "retro" feature... ;) )
    I hadn't driven a Mustang in a while before I drove the '05.

On an absolute basis, the manual and the clutch in the Mustang GT was probably the 2nd best I've ever driven. The absolute best was in an RX8. That's high praise.

The clutch take up is creamy and smooth. The shifter is beefy, yet precise with a very nice feel.

5th gear is indeed tall. I wouldn't use it anywhere but on the interstate. Anything up to about 50 MPH, 4th is fine.

The ride quality is what first struck me about the Mustang. It's great for "point and shoot" manuevers. The body/chassis is very stiff and doesn't lean or squat. It's no mean feat to have the body be so rigid yet the ride be so compliant. You aren't going to mistake the ride for a Lincoln, but you aren't going to experience any sharp bumps through the structure either. It absorbs broken pavement very well without upsetting the suspension. It stays planted.

I'd go out on limb and say this is the best "ride/handling" trade-off certainly of any U.S. branded car I've driven. You know exactly what the car is doing when driving.

Ford and GM, for so long, have either made the ride so "hard" in their performance vehicles, that they'd punish you to get decent handling. Or, they made suspensions to offer a cushy ride at the expense of feeling "wallowy".

The Mustang will have none of that.
    Got a message from another enthusiast who took their Mustang GT from the showroom to the track...bone stock....no mods.....stock M&S tires......this is what he ran.....

2.097 60Ft.
    8.857 1/8th Mile
    13.638 1/4 Mile @104.473

Considering the professional drivers from the trade rages are getting 13.5 sec 1/4s, these are good number for an amatuer.
    Wow!
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    I think that's the highest trap speed I've seen for a stock new Mustang, but I haven't really been checking in to it too much either.
    IIRC....the guy who ran it really did no break-in, which is cause for a lot of debate, too.

He said he wanted to get a baseline on what the Mustang GT would do stock. I think he ran those numbers the 3rd time he ran it at the track. He's planning on modding it with "summer" tires. He's also looking into some exhaust mods and a "tune" of the PCM.

While I swore I wouldn't track mine, I'm beginning to get the "itch".
    No problem with a few WOT runs on a relatively new engine. In fact it's probably good for it. At Wixom they do WOT runs on a chassis dyno for every new LS that rolls off the line.
    Lots of debate about break-in. Manufacturers (at least GM and Ford) don't seem to indicate there's anything special about break-in. Just vary speeds for a particular mileage limit.

Personally, I think varying RPMs under different load conditions would be a more precise description of how to "break-in" a car.

Truth told, for the last 10 years, I've done little in the way of "special" break-in for any new car. By the way I drive (mostly city), I vary RPMs and speed, so by definition, I vary speeds and RPMs. I've yet to have any major problem with any manufacturer's model for well over 100,000 miles.

That said, I'm probably subconciously more "gentle" on the car for about the first 500 miles. After that, I start to "open it up". After 750 miles, I'll run'em to redline regularly.

The Mustang GT just seems to beg you to get into the upper rev range anyway. My previous RX8 was the same way. It almost "dared" me to take it to redline when I drove it off the new car lot.
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    Not too shabby....taking 3 of the top 4 spots and up against the likes of Porsche and BMW.
    Don't get too carried away. It's great but also remember that they add and subtract weight from the cars to try and keep the field equal. I'm sure the mustangs will get more weight as they did after they won the first race.