Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Member Posts: 27
    I'm interested in a 2006 Mustang GT Premium, 5MT, side-airbags, anti-theft, soft boot and interior upgrade.

MSRP is around $33,000. Why no seat heaters? no audio controls on the wheel? black plastic mirrors? no satellite radio?
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    It's a Mustang, not a luxury/family sedan. Check out Mercedes or BMW and see what you get in that price range. No standard leather (on BMW), no CD changer, seat heaters are optional regardless of the price, no V8, not too much sport, etc.
    Even with a Miata you can get seat heaters. Seat heaters would extend top down driving.

Sorry, no comparison between a Mustang and a BMW. The Mustang is a great car and a great value, but a 3-series is in a league of its own.

For me right now it is a dead heat between another 325i and a GT convertible. Each has their merits. Driving experience the 325i wins hands down, fun to drive the GT Convertible gets the edge. Cost wise they are the same.

The trick will be getting the GT convertible in yellow 5MT and NO shaker 1000 (I need the space for golf clubs).
    Sorry, no comparison between a Mustang and a BMW.

Yet, you are. :confuse:

I've driven an '06 330i Sport and, IMO, the driving experience is certainly not a "hands down" win for the BMW. And, to be honest, the 330i was more harsh than my Mustang GT w/ Eibach springs. So it's way more harsh than the stock Mustang GT, especially the convertible.

Take off the BMW blinders and be a little more objective.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Supposedly the 2007 will have heated seats and about 25 more hp.
    Nice! A 345HP :shades: Mustang GT! Or will it simply be the actual rating of the current engine? ;)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    For me right now it is a dead heat between another 325i and a GT convertible. .... Cost wise they are the same.

HUH?? Is this a used 325 vs new GT?? Or is this lease prices? (maybe i missed the original post which pointed this out)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Ride goes to the BMW. Handling also to the BMW (but closer than you may think). Acceleration and braking to the Mustang GT (by a large margin).

You're going to pay $35.5 for the BMW with sports and lux pacakge. Plus, you can't drop the top in the BMW.

The sound of the Mustang GT, once you crank it up, should by itself, sway you.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    OH... ya know, I was thinking he was comparing to the convertible 325 ... hence my confusion about the price. Silly me ... comparing convertible to convertible.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

By the numbers the skidpad and slalom numbers are essentially the same. Braking is a different story (60 - 0): 3-series 116 ft, Mustang GT 131. These are numbers from Road & Track. Even my TDI Jetta stops better at 121 ft.

The Mustang has the grunt and the best shifting stick I've ever driven. It handles very well even with its considerable weight.

One is ultra-smooth and incredibly composed and the other is a muscle car.

The motor, transmission and drop top are big plusses. Enough probably to outweigh my preference for the 325i handling feel and brakes.
    I think you'd regret getting the Mustang. Get the 325i. It takes a certain type of person to appreciate a Mustang. All too often people come from some cush-mobile into a Mustang and then the rest of us are stuck having to filter through a bunch of "It's too noisy," "It's too unrefined," "It's too rough," "The materials are too cheap" garbage.

The Mustang isn't about any of that, even though the ride is refined compared to previous Mustangs. Either you "get it" or you don't. If you do buy the Mustang, congratulations and welcome to the club, but I, for one, don't want to see you complaining about it later. You need to know what you're getting into BEFORE you make the purchase. Ask questions. Don't make misguided assumptions.

One of the great things about Mustang people is that they're MORE than ecstatic to help out another Mustang owner with any car problem they have. :)
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    Edmund's: braking (GT) 60-0 (ft) 124.62
    Car & Driver (GT): 70-0 183 ft

The Car & Driver review, by John Phillips (Dec. '04), was fincky and dour. Phillips complained about the instruments being hard to read in daylight -- I've had no such trouble -- and the interior being as "black as an eel's esophogus, ridiculously funereal." First, I can assure you that not only is an eel's esophogus as pink as yours or mine, but that the interior, with an interior upgrade, is tasteful and uncluttered. Second opinions, btw, by other Car & Driver reviewers (Swan, Csere, and Robinson) tacked on to the end of Phillips' review were much more positive. Just about every reviewer everywhere has allluded to the "fun factor" of driving the Pony GT w/ a manual trans, something, some say, missing even from the Vette.

If you don't like the Tang GT, your alternative is not the BMW 300, but the Nissan Z or Masda RX 8, both of which aren't anywhere near as fast or nimble as the Pony GT (see Edmunds/Inside Line comparison tests on this site).

Personally, I'm rethinking whether to upgrade to a Shelby Cobra SVT GT 500. My stock GT Premium is proving to have power to spare.
  • gotav8gotav8 Member Posts: 4
    If you want a quieter, more refined, better built version with a nicer interior version of the Mustang you buy a GTO, plain in simple. It's the luxury car version of the Mustang. You can get brand new 05 GTO for not much more $$ then the Mustang GT. $29,800 on their Red tag sale. If you can't afford the GTO then go with the Mustang. To each their own.
  • gotav8gotav8 Member Posts: 4
    The interior is an improvement over previous Mustangs, but still too much cheap-hard plastic. It's ok in the $19k base model, but not in the $28k+ models. Yes they have the interior upgrade kits which help. I can buy a wood, carbon fiber etc upgrade kit for any car aftermarket as well.

Shelby Cobra SVT GT500 will be fast. Looking forward to it. Then the question you have to ask yourself is... do you want to spend $40k+ for a Mustang? You know with dealer markups (gotta have it 1st) it will be nearly $45k to $50k. There are a lot more refined and luxury marques out there that I would consider first. Yes they won't be as fast, but there is more to life then just fast, refinement & buld quality too.
  • cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    Look gotav8...

Nobody likes your GTO. Nobody wants to buy them and that is why they languish on lots.

Affordability has nothing to do with anything. People buy what they want. Jay Leno has a Mustang GT. Go tell him that if he can't afford a GTO to stick with his Mustang. The lack of maturity and juvenile attitude that I haven't heard since the first grade, only comes from GTO owners.

I could have had a G35 or 330i. I went with what I wanted, which happened to be a Mustang. I enjoy the car, gremlins and all. I enjoy the thumbs up I get, the "Nice car" comments from strangers everywhere. The only finger GTO owners get is when they cut someone off in trying to race a Mustang owner, who is probably wondering why this guy in a Cavalier wnats to race him. Sure is a fast cavalier...wait...oh I see a Pontiac GTO. From Australia.

Enjoy your GTO, I am sure it is a very nice interpretation of the Cavalier. I am sure it is very fast. Please, if you want to come in here and pull off a high and mighty because you think your car costs more than my car because you have more jack, please feel free to check out other popular websites that you may be interested in, such as Sesame street, Blue's Clues and one of my kids favourites, the always appealing Dora the Explorer.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    You now have to select satin alum. or charcoal alum when you order the IUP. Has anyone seen a photo of the charcoal alum or seen it in person?

I can't find a photo anywhere.

Mark
    I had a 1995 Mustang GTS 5.0 until the engine ate itself. It ran lean and holed the pistons. The car was a blast.

I recently went for another test drive on my commuter route and found the car to be quite acceptable for day-to-day style driving and more nimble than its size belies. The interior materials could be better, but that can be said about most cars including the new IS250. The ride is fine and not too harsh for me. Generally the stiffer the suspension the better. The seats fit me quite well.

I'm a little concerned about some of the problems people are having. Especially the AT issues, but I would get a 5MT. Ford service apparently hasn't improved any since my experience. BMW customer service isn't much to write home about either.

Seat heaters in a convertible would be nice.
    There are definitely some things you give up by buying a Ford:

Look at today's headlines and read about a 220,000 vehicle recall -- no Mustangs, thankfully, on the list.

The Ford service department is a third-world banana republic compared to that at Honda. The Ford waiting room is like a police station lockup with an old TV.

The storage spaces, glove compartment and trunk, are tiny. The spaces in the doors are useless and there are no pouches on the backs of the front seats.

Personally, I don't care. I love the car. I've never loved any car before, actually been completely indifferent to 'em, just means to an end, a way to get from point A to point B. Used to even prefer if someone else drove. No longer. Just you try putting your hands on my GT!

As for the GT500, you put a deposit (fully refundable) and will be called when the spec sheet comes out, which, I assume will include an MSRP. Dealers can't mark up the car; it's special order only, VERY limited production.

I'm still on the fence about ordering a SVT GT 500: My stock GT Premium has tons of power, which I am still learning how to tap into -- there's plenty of reserve muscle in the 3000-5000 rpm range. Do I really want a red car with racing stripes (no!).
  • detailzdetailz Member Posts: 47
    Wondering what is available in tires for the Mustang should I need to drive it for a period of time this winter. The "beater" I thought I had lined up may cost a bunch of money and it may be better to go with tires on the 06 GT. Someone mentioned 18" performance Blizzacks for these things.....any thoughts or comments on this?
    Don't think you need the 18's, but a good set of snow tires on some cheaper wheels will not only give you great traction in snow but save your regular tires. Tirerack.com has a 16" Blizzak on Painted alloy wheels for $768.

The 17's are over $1K. The tires are almost twice as expensive.
    Correction: dealer wants 5% above MSRP for the GT500, and is talking about a retail price in the mid 40's. Told him that the closer he pushes the price to $50k, the more the car has to compete with a C6. Guess which car is going to win that competition?

Also told him I won't drive a red car with racing stripes and red leather. It ain't in my blood.

An inherently aggressive looking car like the GT500 doesn't need to advertise itself. In fact, imo, it makes a much more dramatic statement if understated (like my silver GT Premium coupe). But I'm, no doubt, in the minority. Just look at some of the modifications that are coming out:
    the Shelby CS6
    http://www.shelbyautos.com/
    the Saleen's
    http://www.saleen.com/
    or, shudder, the Roush
    http://www.roushperf.com/mustang.shtml

The Mustang seems to invite overstatement. Too bad, such a beautiful car, if left alone.
  • pumpkinfishpumpkinfish Member Posts: 61
    And if you decide your stock GT needs a little more oomph, you can always bolt on a twin screw ;)
    Beaters usually cost a lot of money, and they are crap to drive. You will be alright with a set of Michelin X-Ice on 17" rims. I am not sure that 16" rims clear the calipers. I have the X-Ice on right now and they are extremely quiet for a winter tire. So far we have had rain or a very light blanket of snow. The difference in how the car handles the wet is impressive. Whereas my Falkens, a very good summer tire, was pretty quiet in the rain, these Michelins make it sound like I am driving in a monsoon! The sound of the rain flying off the tires as if I am driving through an inch of rain tells me the tread pattern will do the trick in the snow.

Blizzaks have a sticky compound that, once it wears off, you are left with a mediocre winter tire at best. I have had three pairs of these Michelins and IMO nothing comes close.
    I forgot about the GT having bigger brakes - may have to stick with 17's.
    Yes you will have to be at least 17". I think someone on a dedicated Mustang board tried 16" for drag racing but ended up grinding their brake calipers to fit.
    I thought I'd post a picture of my GT will all of my appearance mods finished. Just wanted to show off the car before it gets beat up this winter!!!

• blackflag3blackflag3 Member Posts: 29
    Gents,
    I am an owner of a 05 GTO....(I'm not here to stir the pot)
    What I am considering is buying a new 06 Mustang GT Prem.
    with auto trans for my wife and having the best of both worlds so to speak. I've located one that fits the bill,
    a Black on Black with a sticker price of $30,330
    The dealer said they will knock off $1500 from sticker.
    $28,830 plus tax. I know these cars have been selling for
    sticker+ so do you think I should jump on this price?
    Also, the ones that have an 06, have you experienced any problems that I should be aware of?
    Coupled with my Michelin X-Ice, was a resounding success. The conditions, even for a hard nosed Canadian, were atrocious. Snow, that turned into slush, only to have a flash freeze occur, turning roads into virtual skating rinks. they were even closing some bridges.

The Mustang, after a good scrape (God I hate that) was ready to go and my first gear acceleration, with a good dose of respect to the conditions, was too easy. A little more gas and the TC was there to help me get going. On my deserted road it was excellent. Then again, I expected nothing less as my 99 GT was easy. This felt even more so.

No worries here. No beaters here. With proper tires and a good dose of common sense, the Mustang is an easy car to drive in terrible conditions.
  • dan1dan1 Member Posts: 76
    Nice pictures it looks sweet, but there is one way it could look better. If it was parked in my garage next to my Bullitt!
    Pumpkinfish: Thanx for the nice pics. I think your spoiler is cooler than stock. Are you actually sucking more air into the engine compartment with the hood scoop, or is it merely cosmetic? If it's real, does it make much of a difference in performance or engine temperature?

Blackflag: Price seems right to me, but you can check going MSRP and wholesale prices at any number of sites. I've used "cars.com."
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    pumpkin....SWEEEEET ride!!!!!!

cmnot....good news on the winter driving part.

blackflag....I sold my Mustang GT about 8 weeks ago....just because I could sell it for more than I paid for it. I had bought it on X plan and sold it for $50 under the original MSRP (but about $500 under MSRP of an '06).

So, being that was only 8 weeks ago (weather was still nice) and you're looking at a $1,500 discount, I'd be all over that. I do think that the factory is finally catching up with the demand. Still, I rarely see a GT sitting on a dealer's lot. And, when I do, it's usually gone within 24-48 hours.

Ford still won't include the Mustang on any of the special pricing plans they announce for the rest of their line-up.

While I never had any problems with mine, there are still some sporadic reports regarding a slow fuel fill issue. I'd say that it's a filler neck problem and not a fuel tank problem, as Ford originally thought. I'd ask the dealer if they'll fill-up the one your interested in at whatever pump they have to make certain it doesn't have an issue. I'd ask them to have you present when they do it, just to ease your concerns.

I've also seen a couple of reports about the fuel guage acting weird. That could mean the ECU needs to be reflashed (since it also controls the electronic fuel guage), or maybe bad sending units. Those are easy fixes, though and would be covered under warranty.

Hope this helps.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    graphicguy/pumpkinfish
    Thanks for the input. I guess any discount on the GT is a plus so the $1,500 off MSRP is a real deal.
    Since my wife will be the primary driver of the car the
    fuel fill issue will be of primary importance.
    If I make the deal, but before I sign, I'll do as you suggest and ask them to put gas in the car in my presence.
    That way if it fails the test I'm not obligated to take that particular one. Don't want work to have to be done on it before I even take it home.
    I have the BFGoodrich GForce KDWS 18" which came with the 06 GT Mustang. I never gave the tire issue much thought when I ordered it. Supposedly, these tires are "highly" rated in the winter and even on wet/snow covered roads...any thoughts on this? Other than getting a weekly car wash... anyone have an idea how to keep salt deteriation to a minimum............and please don't say something like buy a beater.
    Does any weight need to be added to the rear end of these vehicles (trunk) while driving in winter conditions?
    TX
    What's the "X Plan"?
    Price offered to Ford suppliers and partners. A plan is for Ford employees, D plan is for dealership employees, Z plan is for Ford retirees. X plan for Fords is just below invoice and just above invoice for Lincolns.
    Thanks for the comments guys.

PP, it is a stick on Roush scoop. I was tired of the hood looking like one big flat panel but it is not as bad as the new Accords hood. It needed that extra "pop" and I didn't want a functional fiberglass hood.
    Ya know...I thought I was going goofy when the filler nozzle of the gas pump kept clicking off when trying to refuel.....tried pulling it out and still had the same problem!

Must say that the problem seems to have corrected itself by switching "pumps". Is there a problem with the intake of the fuel tank perhaps?.............

Still wondering about the extra weight for the back end of the GT for the winter driving deal!
  • mcbuckstermcbuckster Member Posts: 32
    What color side door stripe (that says 'Mustang') looks best with Windveil blue? Black, White, or Gold. {Im asking about the stock striping down the sides of the car, near the bottom of the doors).

Thanks
  • jimmira76jimmira76 Member Posts: 19
    On Windveil Blue, I'd say go with black. I actually prefer the look of the mustang without the tape stripe, though. I just bought a black '06 convertible with pony package this past weekend & opted to go w/out the stripe. But if you're a fan of it, I'd definitely say go with black.
    Now we're getting to one of the deeper questions of life, one which I have pondered for many long hours by the fireplace, discussed at length with my comrades: Which color goes best with the Mustang?

First and most obvious choice is hot red, the standard for sports machines (picture a Vette or Ferrari). Part of this color choice has to do with personality. Red is for the person who wants to get noticed. Some do, some don't (I don't). Different strokes. Personally, I think red makes the Tang look a little chubby, short, unless we're talking convertible, in which case red is definitely a consideration, hot and sexy.

Then there's black, perfect for an agressive car with attitude like the Pony. But there are a couple of drawbacks, things to consider: 1) Black doesn't go particularly well with the front end, the black grill. It needs to be offset, like by the red lights in the back, or by chrome. 2) Black is an excellent choice in certain areas, like cities, like the north, but in California, where I live, it's impractical because of all the sun -- even in winter, the interior will toast (I know, I used to have a black car.) 3) Lastly, black doesn't wear well. It gets dirty easily, it scratches over time, losing its sheen, getting duller with every trip to the car wash or long distance highway jaunt.

Lastly there's silver, the most popular color. Yes, it might look a little bland on the page, or in the dealer showroom, but out under an open sky is gathers light, glows. Out on the road, it fits perfectly with the other machines, a machine color, perfect for Calif. where the sun shines alot. It's no accident that Ford in it's first TV ad introduced the new Mustang in silver, a classy classic look.

I chose silver, but I have to admit, everytime a new Tang rolls by I check out how a different color looks.

As for the side stripes, don't like 'em.

As for the fog lights in the grill, would prefer them under the headlights, where they don't interrupt the clean lines of the hood and grill (most customizations and the Cobra move them just so).

The new "Pony package," which clutters that cool black grill is all wrong, meant, I figure, to appeal more to women, to soften the aggressive look of the car.
  • jason_mcjason_mc Member Posts: 1
    I bought the Sonic blue GT with all options except the Shaker 1000. Pretty happy with it, never owned something this nice. I'm 30 years old, military getting back from deployement so I had lots of time to dream about this car.

Some initial impressions: amazing handling. Sounds awesome, gets lots of looks. It is actually faster than it seems, my brothers Ford Probe GT (FELT) faster because the Mustang is larger and smoother. Oh, you can get up to 40mph in 1st gear! Awesome. You have to be careful when you are at speed on the highway because the steering is very responsive. I've overcorrected when passing, a little scary, not that I was out of control but I had to react fast to heading into the median.

I can confirm the fueling problem. I've experienced it a few times (gas nozzle shuts off prematurely)

No other problems, I have about 4000miles on mine now. Adding more oil than expected. Almost a quart every 1,000miles.

If you are considering this car, I would have to recommend getting all the options. You won't regret it.

The active anti theft system will only work after they have gotten inside the cab. Someone pulled my passenger side window down and it activated (I assume after they put their arm inside. Okay, enough random thoughts.
  • spdwy33spdwy33 Member Posts: 21
    Hello All,

First posting on this message board, but I hope someone can help us.

We just test drove the 2006 Mustang GT - terrific car, except .....

The damned head rests were really uncomfortable. Seems like we just could not adjust them to our liking.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Jim, Katie and Sarah
  • nogtyetnogtyet Member Posts: 11
    First time I ever heard this issue. Do you actually drive w/ your head resting on the headrest? Never saw that done. Headrests are there to prevent neck injuries.
    nogtyet -

Thanks for your input.

It was just that the damned head rest was raked so far forward that hit us in the back of the head and left the neck at a strange angle.

There has got to be a way to adjust the head rests!

Thanks again.

And hope that you will very soon be known as 'gotgtnow'!!
    Something is wrong here!!

We drove a 2006 GT last night and the dealer had it priced at $3,500 over sticker - plus $500 for paint and appearance bs!! With holdback and all the other stuff, I think they were looking at about $7,000 in profit on one car!

Where can you get one for $1,500 under MSRP? I'll drive a long way to save that kind of money.
    spdwy33,
    You bet something is wrong! Where do you live?
    What dealer did you visit? I know that some dealers have
    sold the GT over MSRP but $3,500 over is crazy.
    Plus sticking you for another $500.
    I wouldn't buy a lugnut from a dealer like that!

Clarke Ford of Hudson Ohio (Akron Area)will deal from
    $900 to $1,500 off MSRP for the GT.
    Right now they have 5 06 GT prem.coupes in stock.
    3 auto's and 2 manuals.

You can visit their website at clarkeford.com to get
    the info,colors etc.
    Blackflag3 - OUTSTANDING!!

We live in St. Louis, so I have absolutely no problem driving a few hundred miles to save $5,000!

Great job - thanks for the help!
  • roushmanroushman Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    guys and Girls just came from local delar, getting ready to order my 06/GT, spoiler delete, 18 inch polished alum rims, auto, interior up grade, leather, side air bags Dk/Grey interior just cant make up my mind on exterior color red fire or black. And oh yea did I mention the price $800.00 over invoice!!!!!!!! Cant wait for spring.

PJ ">
    It's downright impossible to keep a black car looking good - it takes a lot of work because it shows even the smallest of scratches. For that reason I'd recommend redfire. Actually I'd recommend Tungsten but Redfire is nice.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    I'm 30 years old, military getting back from deployement so I had lots of time to dream about this car.

Welcome back.

I can confirm the fueling problem. I've experienced it a few times (gas nozzle shuts off prematurely)

I've rented '05 Mustangs twice in the last few months. Seriously thinking about getting one. I noticed this as well. It tended to be more of a problem at the lower rent stations without the fancy new equipment the more well known brand stations have.

You have to be careful when you are at speed on the highway because the steering is very responsive. I've overcorrected when passing, a little scary, not that I was out of control but I had to react fast to heading into the median.

Agreed. A surpisingly agile car.