Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• jjgittesjjgittes Member Posts: 54
    I just read an article quoting a Ford official as saying that the new Mustang will be the only car out there with 300 hp under $20k. Was he serious? Is Ford really going to offer the v8 with 300hp for under $20k? I doubt it.
  • 3point1v63point1v6 Member Posts: 18
    i saw the same thing! while that would be truly awesome the only way i could see that happening is if they sell the base model with just a v8 upgrade...which would work for me. but probably they were referring to the v6 as being under $20k
  • stumack1stumack1 Member Posts: 56
    ...this thing is going to be a big time home run for Ford. I haven't been this excited about a "modern" design in years. It's sized and priced right and there's no guessing what it is. If the execution is as good as the look, these things will be everywhere. I think they can do 300k + and GM will be scrambling for a piece of the pie in no time - but if that G6 is the best design work they can do, they're SOL.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    I'm with you guys. I was all set to replace our ailing 96 Civic with an '04 Mazda6 or Mazda3 until I started seeing production info on the '05 Mustang.

Now I'm going to fix the Civic up a little and "deal with it" for the next 12-18 months at which time, if all goes well, we'll replace it with a shiny new GT convertible. I'm not sure I'll be able to wait that long though. ;)

The Mustang has always been my favorite cars but things like marriage, a new house, and a wife who thinks I'll kill myself in one has prevented me from buying one thus far. Well, she finally agreed that it's time and we decided to wait until initial demand dies down to buy one. So it'll be a late '05 or early '06 for me.

Question:
    The Pittsburgh auto show (obviously not a big one) is held around Valentine's day every year. Last year they had a pre-production F-150 XL on display for folks to see. Anyone know if '05 Mustangs will be on tour after the NAIAS? I know we can't sit in them yet, but it would be nice to see one in person. Even a V6 copy would make me happy.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    A similar question to baggs32's above - how does one find out for certain if the '05 mustang is scheduled for the Greenville, SC show - later in Jan.?
    Thanks,
    - Ray
    Who really needs to see this car 'in the metal' . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    I think stumack1 is on to something (I hope)...if the Mustang does as well as we think it will, hopefully that will (just as it did in the 1960s) prompt the other companies to (re)introduce pony cars of their own.

The Camaro/Firebird would return, and how cool would it be to see a Chrysler Barracuda again? Esp. since you know the up-level version would have the Hemi...
  • 3point1v63point1v6 Member Posts: 18
    i saw a picture of a concept dodge charger over at brads mustang site forums the other day. i think it was in the general vehicle discussion. the pics were taken last year and apparently its supposed to be introduced around 2006. i dont really know all the info though...
  • jjgittesjjgittes Member Posts: 54
    When are the new stangs set to hit the dealers?
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,369

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• jbhogenjbhogen Member Posts: 21
    When will the Duratec 35 be dropped in the new Mustang? It debuts with the 4L V6 making 202 hp, the Duratec 35 should do north of 250. Is it manufacturing cost?

I know its an ego blow, but it makes you wonder whether or not licensing the Nissan 3.5L VQ series wouldn't have been a smarter play. It's been in the Pathfinder since 2001, and makes between 240 and 292 in various guises.
  • ksuwildcat001ksuwildcat001 Member Posts: 97
    I've read on a few sites that the new Ford 3.5L V6 will appear in 2006 models of the new Stang.

Ford would never do something stupid like jbhogen's suggestion. I prefer my Ford products have actual Ford gas engines in them, thanks. The new Ford 3.5 sounds like it will be just as good as the Nissan anyway, so why bother? Leave ideas like that to GM who dropped Honda's 3.5L V6 and tranny into their Saturn Vue SUV.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    The only reason is timing. The 3.5 wasn't ready in time for the 2005 models. The 4.0L is a nice engine and will suffice until the 3.5L arrives. Most V6 owners are not into performance anyway. If they were then most would own a GT to start with.
  • jbhogenjbhogen Member Posts: 21
    "I prefer my Ford products have actual Ford gas engines in them, thanks." Understood, its a pride issue--but pride has a cost, the time (5 years) and money spent developing the new engine.

"The new Ford 3.5 sounds like it will be just as good as the Nissan anyway, so why bother?" Exactly my point, because you could have brought the "advanced" capabilities of the Duratec 35 to market and to your customers 5 years earlier.

"Leave ideas like that to GM who dropped Honda's 3.5L V6 and tranny into their Saturn Vue SUV." I wonder how much trouble they'll have from that drivetrain....

I drive the Mazdafied version of the Duratec 30, it's a great engine. But I look around the class and see more advanced versions in the Honda (240 hp from 3L), Nissans (Altima 240 hp, Maxima 265), Toyota (230 hp), and Mitsubishi (250 hp), all of which get equivalent or better gas mileage, and it makes me wonder.

Incidentally, thanks for whomping Oklahoma--
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    The only problem with being the first on your block to own a new Mustang is the first year car syndrome. Did that twice...won't be doing it again!
  • hotx3hotx3 Member Posts: 71
    at the front to really capture the Mustang look. With that "step" bumper and big squared off grill, my wife says it looks like a Buick. I'm glad to see a more modern version (I've been lusting too), but I think I'll wait a year or two to see if they "freshen" the front end.
    Yes it took them 5 years to develop the engine, but it will be well worth it once they start putting it into tons of vehicles. I bet it will be cheaper than if they bought an engine from someone else. Not to mention the embarrassment and harsh comments by the media towards GM after GM bought engines and transmissions from Honda.

You need to remember that your Mazda 3.0 is SMALLER than the engines you mentioned. As they say, "No replacement for displacement" That is why Ford developed the new 3.5. If you want an import V6 then go buy an import.
  • ballparkballpark Member Posts: 41
    Exactly. Or you could buy a used Probe. It is, after all, just a re-badged Mazda 626. Or better yet, buy a used Probe and slap some Pony Emblems on it. That way you'd have the "Mustang" that Ford almost built. Thank God saner heads prevailed back then.
  • ddmillerddmiller Member Posts: 1
    My wife owns a 1966 coupe and I can't wait to park a 2006 version of one of these in front of our house. We were contemplating building a two car garage, but this is so pretty I think we'll store the beater pickup in the existing garage and park the two Mustangs side-by-side out front.

And take it easy on the Probe! Most people who dis 'em have never driven one. My '93 GT is easily the equal in styling and power of any of the imports and most of the pony cars who get the stupid notion they want to play at the stoplight. I've embarassed many wannabes in the last 10 years I've owned the car. True, no sane person would dream of it replacing the Mustang and whoever shipped it with Shelby stripes towards the last few years of its run should be shot. This car carries the Ford emblem proudly and acquits itself of that responsibility well. It will be a very sad day indeed when I trade it in for my Mustang.
  • z9z9z9z9z9z9z9z9 Member Posts: 101
    > When will the Duratec 35 be dropped in the new Mustang?

Maybe never.

Initially this engine will go into the Five Hundred, Freestyle, and Montego. Perhaps the LS, if it's still around..

There has been no confirmation from Ford that they intend to put this motor in the Mustang. They clearly view the V6 Mustang as a car for people who are not all that interested in performance, so there's little reason for them to move off the 4.0 V6, so long as it's being produced for other high-volume vehicles such as the Explorer. A 2005 V6 Mustang with a manual transmission ought to do 0-60 in the low 7s anyway, so it's already "fast enough" for its intended market.

Also, the Duratec 35 will be considerably more expensive than the "Cologne" 4.0 V6, which is an issue, since the V6 Mustang is positioned in a very price-sensitive slot in the new car marketplace.
  • fishman4444fishman4444 Member Posts: 1
    The original spec's called for a supercharged 5.4L, I want my 400hp Pony! Any plans for this in 2006? as an SVT?
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,369
    What, 300 hp isn't enough?

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

Maybe I'm a wimp, but the 260-ish hp in my GT is more than enough be entertaining, and certainly enough to get me into plenty of trouble!
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Back in 1987, the 225 HP 5.0 was considered a "monster".

Expectations change with time, but 400 HP is a luxury. Want it? Pay for it with insurance, gas, and purchase cost.
  • snakerbillsnakerbill Member Posts: 272
    I just want the GT NOW. Why must we wait and wait for a car that should have been here years ago. Why would anyone buy a leftover 03 or 04 when the 05 blows them away????? Ford should build out the old ones and get with the program before some other company sees a chance to hit the market with a comparable new product right away, a new Camaro????? How about a new GTO????(:
    Because there is a large contingent of car buyers that don't read car magazines and don't watch auto show coverage and have absolutely no idea a new mustang is coming out in the fall.

It's a balancing act between generating excitement at the Detroit show and waiting for a later show closer to production that won't have nearly the publicity. If they waited then people would be badmouthing them for not having anything new to show. I think they did exactly the right thing. Patience is a virtue.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    Well if they watch the news they will know. There has been a lot of hype about the auto shows on all the major networks, specifically for all the new products coming from domestic manufacturers.

I think there are going to be a lot of outrageous deals going around to get all the outgoing model mustangs off dealers lots.
    I think the only person who does not know about the new Mustang lives in a snow cave in Antartica, and I think Ford is going to have to give the old ones away to get rid of them, I know I would not spend my cash on the current Stang, not after seeing the new ones in all of the car magaZines and on TV and even posters in the Dealers customer lounge. Why wait??
  • z9z9z9z9z9z9z9z9 Member Posts: 101
    > The original spec's called for a supercharged 5.4L

What spec was that?
    A lot of people - esp. ones who buy the V6 with that horrible engine, right snaker? ; ) - are the sort who have always wanted a Mustang, and when Ford starts discounting the current style, they'll get one.

Sure, they know the new one's coming out...but from a "casual fan" pov, getting a current one now will be 1) cheap, 2) reliable, or at least a known quantity and 3) readily available.

And as I've said before, the current design isn't ugly or anything; I happen to think it's quite an attractive car...

Sure the current ones won't sell like hotcakes, but Ford won't be melting them all down for scrap either...
    Right, that's what we are saying. Ford will sell the leftovers, but only when they deeply discount them.
    Oh, I dunno.

I bet the current Cobra and Mach 1s sell just fine without discounts. They are unique and rare enough I bet people will still snap one of them up without worrying about waiting till the new ones come out.

I know some people that are buying the current Mustang GT to tide them over for two years. Ford has had some quality issues introducing new models, so they figure they will wait two years and by then a lot of the bugs will be worked out. In the meantime they will have a current GT on a 2 year lease to enjoy and play with. Not really a bad idea if you think about it.
    I never saw any specs or concepts with a supercharged 5.4. I think you are mistaken. The original concept that was displayed had a supercharged 4.6, not a 5.4.
    I agree that the current model is still attractive but it's gonna take some incentives to move them. The next Gen GT has all the go-power of the Mach 1 and has the added benefit of running on "regular" gas. (I'm a beliver now, read it in both Motor Trend and Hot Rod Mag)I saw both the '04 & '05 side by side at the LA Auto Show yesterday and while the production model is much tamer than the concept I saw a couple weeks back at the California Auto Show in Anahiem, it is FAR more attractive than the SN95 it replaces. Tighter, leaner, lower, and with a beautiful interior featuring seats boltered like Recaro's there's no way any dealer in thier right mind wants an 04 sitting on the lot with the 05's.

I was commenting earlier about how the "spy" photos of the new stang looked very similar to my 99 GT with some kind of body kit. In real life they don't look very similar at all.

Also I commented earlier about how the first thing I would do is paint the light "buckets" to match the body color. No-can-do. There are no "buckets" as in the concept. Instead the lamp is a self contained unit with a plexiglass lens cover. Too bad, cause inside it has "gills" next to the light just like a '65 but sice it's black you can barely make it out. Maybe the aftermarket will come up with color keyed replacement units sans the plexiglass cover.

Oh yeah, the spokesmouth at the show said pricing on the new Stang would be about $700 more than the current model. He also claims the Fall release date is not set in stone. Says Ford is "playing it safe" with a late target date that could get moved up considerably if circumstances permit.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    The interior pics I saw in Motor Trend showed rather flat front seats - where did you see these seats?
    Thanks,
    - Ray
    Remembering very cool Recaros in "special edition" (maybe pace car) Mustangs in the late 70s . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    "Oh yeah, the spokesmouth at the show said pricing on the new Stang would be about $700 more than the current model."

That's good to hear. MT estimated a base of $26,000 for the GT coupe which is about $2000 more than a base GT coupe (Deluxe trim) right now.

I can stomach $700 a little better than $2000. Especially since I'm going to want a convertible. That version would have been pushing $33,000 if MT was right! At that price point you might as well go the extra $5k and get the SVT when it's available. :)
    I'm telling you if you walk up to the average car buyer on the street and ask 100 of them about the mustang, you'd be lucky if 10% knew anything about it. People who aren't into cars only know about it if someone tells them or they see an ad on TV. They don't read car magazines or watch automotive TV shows. They don't listen to news coverage of auto shows. They don't read newpaper articles on cars or auto shows. They don't care.

These are the people who will buy mustangs. Once the new ones are out they'll have to offer incentives to get rid of them. Until then I think sales will be flat or only down a little. It won't be the disaster that some of you are predicting.
    If these people do not care about cars, why are they buying Mustangs?? People who do not care about cars buy the cheapest thing out that runs, and I agree they do not care, but they are not buying Mustangs. They cost too much, and they are only looking for an appliance. I would say that 95% of Mustang buyers know at least a little about the car, and they do care.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    "Ford should build out the old ones and get with the program before some other company sees a chance to hit the market with a comparable new product right away, a new Camaro????? "

How can GM whip up a whole car in 6 months, when they have no plans at all for a new Camaro!!!!

Most American people are into cars on a superficial level. Look at how packed Auto Shows get and when one gets a new car it's "ooo and ahhh".

Also, what amazes me is some will know all about old cars and tinkering with them. But they have no idea of how the Auto industry works and what is going on. But they will be hugly upset if they actually think the the 2005 is a reproduction of the 68!
    I agree with akirby...there are plenty of people "into" Mustangs on a casual level (these are the people I meet who ask why didn't I get the 5.0 engine in my 2002 GT?). They're exactly the sort who'll buy the current generation models...

And if you think about it, that's kinda been the Mustang's point all these years...affordable performance and sporty style for the masses. Most Mustang buyers in 1964 weren't guys who had been souping up 1950s sedans or making hotrods out of 1940s coupes...

And Tomcat, great point...go on stangnet and see many, many people who have immense technical knowledge, but cannot understand why on earth Ford doesn't offer 400 hp in the Mustang GT... : )
    I saw these seats in the production model 05 Mustang at the LA Auto show. The spokes person opened up the door and there they were, two thigh bolsters of the like seen only on aftermarket seats. (Not as high or deep as Recaros but certainly more than anything you've ever seen from the factory.) I suppose a photo migh make them look "flat" but in 3-D reality there they are. You are in for a very pleasant surprise.
    This particular car had a red on black interior. If I am not mistaken, it is the very car pictured in the current Hot Rod Magazine issue. The one with the Burgandy 05 on the cover.

Anyone who can read a newspaper, or even glance at one in a vending machine knows that Ford has a new Mustang. It was on the front page of most of the dailies out here in Southern California,
    and shown on the news all day. And anyone who is in the market for a new car will certainly seek opinions of friends and family before purchasing. The moment they let on that they're considering a new Mustang someone is bound to mention there's a re-design out soon. Really, when was the last time anyone here bought a new car without mentioning it to anyone who would listen?

Basicly there are four types of buyers. Econobox buyers who are not likely to purchase a Mustang, Luxo buyers, again not likely, Truck/SUV buyers who probably wouldn't buy any car at any price, and sporty/performance buyers. The first group could not care less about anything but price and cost of ownership, and that's what they research, Luxo barge buyers only care about creature comforts and how many they can get for thier dollar. Truck people will shop for performance but they are'nt looking at cars.
    The last group wants a fun vehicle and that means style and performance. These people will look at everything on the market, and consider everthing on the market, even fast trucks, fast luxo-cars, and Pocket Rockets. They'll look to the horizon to make sure the immediate future does not hold something better, funner, or cooler. Realisticly speaking I think it's fair to say that anyone in the market for a vehicle that does not offer a whole lot of utility, such as a Mustang GT, will know whether or not there's a new Mustang just over the horizon. (They'll probably know evry looming performance car in the pipeline)
    You are really in the park. Right on. That is what I have been trying to tell these guys, and my Camaro remark was only a figure of speech, but someone took it for an upcoming car??? If he read the rest of the post he would have seen the GTO remark also and the (: after it. I guess there are a lot of litteral lotties on this thread. It was just a barb thrown at Ford for holding up the production of the 05. Maybe if enough people want the 05 NOW Ford might move the production date up, after all people screaming about the near death of the Mustang years ago, made Ford take a second look at getting rid of the stang. Lets try again.
    Who said they're "holding up" production of the 05? As far as I know it's always been scheduled for this fall. Just because a couple of cars are at the auto show does NOT mean this car is ready for mass production. If it was ready for this spring they would have introduced it this spring. They don't just hold back cars for the heck of it.
    Go to someplace that's not full of car enthusiasts. Mall, work, etc. Do a poll and see how many people know there's a new mustang. You're severely overestimating the general public's interest level. There are plenty of people who buy mustangs who are not car enthusiasts. Enough to keep sales up for the next several months.
    Normally I would agree with you about the public's complete lack of knowledge about the automotive industry, but the new Mustang has been talked about on EVERY prime time, morning and 24-hour television news broadcast. If there is a person who doesn't at least have some inkling of a clue that there is a new Mustang going into production then that person was watching old re-runs of Friends instead of the news for the past week.
  • shado4shado4 Member Posts: 287
    > If there is a person who doesn't at least have some inkling of a clue that there is a new Mustang going into production then that person was watching old re-runs of Friends instead of the news for the past week. <

There ARE people like that, you know.

Seriously, I'd rather wait and have Ford work out the inevitable kinks and thoroughly test a production version of the new Mustang before it gets into the hands of the public. The LAST thing Ford needs is a public relations fiasco if the new Mustang starts to fall apart at the first touch.

Give Ford time to make sure everything fits and works together. Give them time to sort out the suspension calibrations. Give them time to trace down any rattles or squeaks that may pop up. Give them time to properly train their employees on the production line to build the car right.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather spend time driving a new car rather than taking it back to the dealership to fix annoying problems that shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Patience, people, patience.
    Hey, as much as I would love to get my hands on one of those new GTs, I'll probably just drive my current Mustang until it bites the dust. I don't think a new car will be in my budget for quite some time.
    You have valid points, however, I think that you forgot that the new Mustang is to be built at the Mazda factory in Flat Rock. These guys do a better job than the old worn out plant. I think they can put a new car out in much better condition than Ford has demonstrated in the past. Also, if Ford wanted to they could have introduced the 05 as early as May of 04 to coincide with the 40th anniversary. I think that the delay was economic rather than necessary, they just wanted to get rid of the old ones first. IMHO.
  • attilathehunattilathehun Member Posts: 1
    I saw some concept pictures of the '05 convertible, is it supposed to be a 2 or 4 seater. Will they have a convertible in 2005?
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    Snakerbill,

FYI, the 40th anniversary would be in April, 2004 ----April 17th I think? I know, because as a 14 year old kid I wanted one then too!

Knowing what I know now, I still would have my doubts about a year one car...Flint Rock or Dearborn! I was bitten in '79 by the Mustang/Capri and again in '84 by a Toyota!

I love the way the new ones look, but I'm gonna stick with my 2000 convert for a bit.
    I've read where the convert. will come out 6 months after the coupe. Yes, it will be a 4 seater. Only the concept was a 2 seater.