Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Ford downloads orders every wed afternoon, so if you placed an order on thursday, it goes in the next week.

If a dealer is really nice, he could modify something already in the pipeline to meet your spec.

4 weeks means every thing goes perfect.
    6 - 8 weeks is more typical
    over 8 weeks means that something about the order did not fit into the build schedule imediately or you had a restricted commodity item. For instance 18" wheels are limited, navigation is limited, stick on GT or V6 is limited, GTs are limited, although not as much as in previous years.

Invoiced accessories also cause delay, trip tunes, mobiles, etc.

Mark.
  • 08pony08pony Member Posts: 13
    Thanks mschmal.

Ordered v6 premium pony. DCAR with dark charcoal leather. Shaker 500, sirius, Safety & security package, heated seats, chrome exhaust tip, auto, interior upgrade. I was surprised that the 08 total msrp is lower than equally equipped 07. Ford made side airbags standard and combined the alarm in the safety and security. That is why I ordered o8 rather than try to locate 07. Even though I lose the rebate, I gain a model year.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Thanks for the tip akirby. I have no problem with the headrests in my Mustang or Explorer (which are very similar) so I never had the need to do it. But I do see people asking how to do it quite often so I'll pass the info on. ;)
  • cougarjunkiecougarjunkie Member Posts: 51
    That is some golden information, akirby. Thanks! Now I can fix the headrest problem as soon as I get the car home, instead of worrying about making arrangements with a dealership or upholstery shop.

The dealer did give me a priority 10.

I can't believe what a bargain this car is. Some people suggested I wait for the Challenger or Camaro, because they would probably be faster and/or have more horsepower. Perhaps. But I'll bet those engines will suck gas like a GTO. I'll also wager that both of those cars will be more expensive than a Mustang.

I'm happy with a 300 horsepower 4.6. There will always be another car somewhere that is faster. I can stand it.
    I'll also wager that both of those cars will be more expensive than a Mustang.

Last I read they were having a hard time keeping the base price of the Camaro V6 model below $25k because of the expensive platform they used and the IRS. How true that still is I don't know but I'm with you. There are better choices for the kind of money those two are probably going to sell for. Like a GT500. ;)
    If rumors are true, expect a big jump in HP.

Mark
  • novellnovell Member Posts: 26
    And for mileage to decrease.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    When the 500 switched to the Taurus the HP went from 203 to 260 and the highway mileage actually increased by 2 mpg (using the 2008 figures for both). They aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.
    Well said, but do you think with a V8 muscle car there will be a decrease? Say if they put in cylinder deactivation, does that really work?
    I am seriously considering adding a cold air intake by either JLT or K&N, any negatives on mileage? Also do all cold air intakes require using premium fuel?
  • vertical3vertical3 Member Posts: 43
    I have the BBK 62MM Throttle body and CAIK. The BBK setup does not require "reflashing" of the OBDII computer that other CAIK setups do (however I have purchased a "Predator" tuner to squeeze more HP out of it). Regardless, changing from regular to premium fuel made a significant difference in performance. The slight decrease in mpg was due in large part to me wanting to go faster as a result of the improvement.
    All things equal a CAI will usually increase mileage, not decrease it. You won't need Premium unless you increase the compression ratio with new heads or you reprogram the PCM to advance the timing.
    All things equal a CAI will usually increase mileage, not decrease it.

Then why doesn't Ford put CAI on all Mustangs? Wouldn't that mean better CAFE numbers?
    Give a premium a shot and see if you notice a difference. My mileage decreased because I drive it more aggressively.
    Mainly cost but also noise control.
    A cold air intake without exhaust modifications will increase noise? Interesting.
    Just putting in a K&N filter will usually increase the intake noise a little. An entire CAI will be more dramatic. It's not exhaust noise - more of a turbine sound under the hood.
    Some CAIK with the increased airflow and lack of enclosure do provide an increase in noise primarily under hard acceleration (unless the vehicle has also had an exhaust mod i.e. headers or "Cat Back" mufflers such as "Borla Stingers").

For those old enough to remember, think back to the days of a 4BBL carb that when the secondary's were opened creating a distinct (and welcome in my case) "sucking sound" from the increased air being drawn in.
    Hey Mark (or anyone else who might know the answer):

Can't the dealership give me some kind of document showing that I have priority 10? I called the dealership earlier today and talked to the lady who placed my order. She seemed disgruntled when I asked if she could fax me the Vehicle Order Confirmation. She went on to say that my order has been placed with the plant. She also said that everyone is priority 99 until the order is with the plant, and that after the order is with the plant priority numbers don't matter. She asked me where I was getting my information.

She then said something about waiting a week and half to see if there are any changes to the order, and that after a week and a half she gets a VIN number. I asked if I could have my VIN number. She asked why. I said that I wanted to track the order with Ford. She said that if I needed any information I should deal with the dealership.

She compared my situation to standing in line. She said I'm behind others who have ordered, and that two other guys who ordered after me are behind me. This really shouldn't matter if the dealer has sufficient allocation, should it?

I really didn't care for her testy attitude. (She must not work off of commission.)

I'm wondering if the dealership is trying to hoodwink me. So I return to my original question. Can't the dealership provide evidence of my priority number?

If they can, and they won't, then I feel like cancelling my order and going elsewhere.
    Explain the situation to the sales MANAGER first and give him or her a shot to work with you. Tell them you understand priorities and you have friends who work for Ford who would like to help you track the order. If they still won't do it I'd walk away - they're trying to hide something.
    Ah, but that's the problem. I don't understand priorities, except that "10" is the best. How do I verify that I have a 10? Or is she correct when she says that everything's priority 99 before the order is placed, and once the order is with the plant priority numbers don't matter?

I'm willing to give the sales manager a shot. I just need to make sure what's what before I talk to them again. Are dealerships able to give proof that an order is priority 10, and should I insist on this proof? I don't want to get "stroked", as Mark was saying.

Or is it wiser to ask for the VIN number?
    When I placed my order last week, the dealer gave me a printout listing all my specs. At the top of the printout it states PRIORITY 10. The document I have looks legit. CougarJunkie, seems like the nasty woman isn't being cooperative or truthful. I have it at work and will check tommorrow to see if the printout has a title on it.
  • jrljrl Member Posts: 39
    Just read article from c&d magazine about 09 mustang sporting new 5.0L Anyone else think Ford will do this. Sounds to good to be true to me. It would seem like with that kind of displacement Ford could easily get 400HP from GT..which begs the question why would anyone want to purchase Shelby GT (with 319hp) or even GT500 when one could land a 400HP GT around invoice price? Also anyone know anything about what Ford might offer for 45th anniversary? First and only tang I ever owned was a 99 35th anniversary...it took me through highschool..college..and marriage in 5 crazy years. I'll never forget getting a special package from Ford that included 3 musical CDs..a book on mustangs..etc. It was a nice touch..I hope they do the same for the 45th anniversary..which I will likely plan to buy..thanks for any info that might be floating out there!
    I've read rumors of a Boss302 or Bullitt edition getting 400 HP but the engine was never specified. Ford is going to need something to compete with the Charger and Camaro which will both have somewhere around 400 HP in their base V8s. Other rumors lead me to believe that a base V8 Camaro or Charger may be priced in GT500 territory though. Should be interesting to watch how that all plays out.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    I'm pretty sure the Charger and Camaro will come with base V6s. Probably in the ~265 hp range. I also believe the pricing with the V6 will start in Mustang GT territory.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I'm pretty sure the Charger and Camaro will come with base V6s.

Oh they will come with a V6 in the base model but rumor is they will have V8 options with a base V8 and an optional V8. That's what I was referring to when I said base V8.

I also believe the pricing with the V6 will start in Mustang GT territory.

I can't remember which one it was exactly but I read in C&D or MT that GM was having a really hard time keeping the V6 UNDER $30k. That is certainly not a good sign for the Camaro if true.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    That's what I was referring to when I said base V8.

ah, ok.

GM was having a really hard time keeping the V6 UNDER $30k

If that is true, they should skip the V6 altogether. UNLESS its the direct injection 3.6 with 304hp being used in the CTS. If its well equipped and has that engine with the 6-speed stick, I could see $30k.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Thanks for being willing to check that for me, 08pony.

I'm still perplexed by the lady's attitude on the phone. To me, a more proper response would be, "Yes, sir. You have a priority 10 order. Would you like me to send you a copy of the order as verification?"
  • jrljrl Member Posts: 39
    Yeah..I figure Ford will use its 3.5L with around 260 in v6 models...but I don't think the 4.6 will be able to hold its on considering cross town enemies will likely be using 5.7L as base V8s and 6.0-6.1L engines for high performance vehicles. I would prefer Ford go with larger engine..direct injection..instead of supercharger like in GT500. The mustang was never really the top dog when it came to pure performance back in the late 60s and early 70s anyway...but you don't want to look to bad you know. Besides..Ford's direction with its mustang will also tell its direction with its trucks..which are also underpowered with engines that are too small compared to the competition..or just not making enough power for those heavy rigs. I hope the 5.0 comes as a base V8 for the refreshed mustang!
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    check manual. it tells you how to reset the window (real simple).
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    check manual. it tells you how to reset the window (real simple).
    The document is called Vehicle Order Confirmation. It is a 2 page printout which lists codes for the vehicle you ordered. It lists option codes, color codes, etc. It also lists the msrp of your ordered vehicle. Towards the top of the printout it shows the Priority Code for your order. I don't know why that b#@ch gave you a hard time. Good Luck cougarjunkie.
    Hey thanks man. I plan on going to the dealership this weekend and asking for a Vehicle Order Confirmation like yours. Wow. Here I thought my work was all finished. I spent a lot of time researching cars, renting cars, figuring out the package I wanted, and learning how to negotiate a price. I didn't realize that are still things to worry about even AFTER you come to terms with the dealership.

I think I'm starting to understand the situation. I guess dealerships want to give higher priority to cars they need for their lot, or orders that will make them more money. I thought my $450 over invoice deal was enough incentive for them, but perhaps I was wrong.

I'm going to have a talk with the sales manager. If he can't give me proof that I'm priority 10, then I'll go elsewhere.
    If you have a VIN or if you know there is a VIN, then just chill because that means that your car is definitely going to be built and there is probably a scheduled build date.

The priority that we are referring to is how dealerships tell Ford what sequence the dealer wants their identical orders filled. Once the order is "submitted to plant" the priority no longer has any meaning. Ford has their own production priority.

However Ford still controls when and even a priority 10 won't get built if Ford does not like something about the order. For instance if there is a commodities limit set by Ford on a specific option... usually 18 inch wheels are limited. Then the order with that option won't get scheduled until Ford feels like it.

Also if there are 2 priority 10 orders, and one of those orders includes a limited commodity and one does not then one might get scheduled that week the other might not get scheduled for a month.

Also an order won't get built for a dealer unless that dealer has allocation.

At this point, since it sounds like there is a VIN, just ask them when the build date is. Then if you find out that its a Monday or a Friday. You have to decide if you are going to be superstitious. SO sometimes you might not want to know.

I assume that most dealers enter their retail orders with a priority 10. The reason why you want to check is because it is something that can be forgotten accidently and then the order gets the default priority. :(. (if you saw the ancient unix looking screen orders get entered into you would understand).

Mark
    Thanks, Mark, for a comprehensive answer to this nagging question. I'll rest a little easier now.

I suppose my 18" wheels, Triptunes, and hands-free phone system will slow the order down. I recall you saying that the Triptunes and hands-free can be installed by the dealership. I wonder if it is exactly the same as the factory, not to mention that dealerships will sometimes charge more for local installation than the factory would. (That is the case with Infiniti).

I don't mind knowing the Monday/Friday thing. I think it's an overblown issue anyway, just like people who say red cars get all the speeding tickets. Yeah, like all cops are crips or something.
    Yeah..I figure Ford will use its 3.5L with around 260 in v6 models...

Rumor has it the F-150 and Mustang will get the non DI 3.7L V6 from the Lincoln MKS as it is being engineered for RWD already in that car. I believe it puts out 280 HP out of the box on 87 octane and torque is in the high 260s IIRC.

If that does become the case then the base V8 absolutely must be upgraded or it almost won't be worth the extra $$ for 20 more horses (but a good bit more torque still).
    DOes anybody have an 08 in dark candy apple red? I have seen conflicting info. on the internet. The Ford brochure says it is a clearcoat metallic. I have seen other references to the color on the internet, but without yhe words "clearcoat metallic". I have found several stories about the new 08 colors. The other new colors are always referenced as a clearcoat metallic. The DCAR does not have that designation. Did Ford revise the color after the brochure was printed? I would hope at the minimum that it is a clearcoat.
    They're all clearcoat. It's probably metallic and they just didn't print it correctly. You can check dealer inventory at forddirect.com and see if any local dealers have any cars in that color.

The dealers will also have a chart with actual paint samples so you can at least see it even though it will be a small sample.
    I tried FordDirect.com but they do not show 08 inventory for mustangs. As for dealer, they referred me to brochure which says it is metallic clearcoat.
    Ask for the paint samples and see for yourself. They should have them by now. If not it should be any day. This is a chart with actual paint chips.
    ALSO it appears that Triptunes and Mobile Ease are getting installed at the ramp? I'm not sure if this is true. I just noticed that a car showed up with the rear splash guards already installed.

Mark.
    It's metallic. I've seen it in person.
    I can't imagine they look too good on a Mustang.
    Apparently Ford changed the appearance of DCAR. There are two DCAR 08 Mustangs listed on Ebay. The sticker just says Dark Candy Apple Red Clearcoat. It appears the color is no longer a metallic. That is a pretty major error in their brochure.
    Hmmm?

Mark.
    Because he posted a copy of the sticker.
    The sticker is erroneous. I can't imagine there being two DCARs. I've seen it. It's metallic. You can take that to the bank.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Metallic or pearlescent?

I would think the latter is more likely.
    I apologize. DCAR is NOT metallic. This is based on me looking at a 2008 GT CS up close on my lot.

The insert that Ford shipped with our color catalogue shows a metallic version of DCAR but that is not what is on the cars from the Factory.

The order guide also says that DCAR is metallic.:

EXTERIOR COLOR CHANGES
    New Colors Added:��
    — Silver Clearcoat Metallic (Replacing Satin Silver)
    (YN)
    — Dark Candy Apple Red Clearcoat Metallic (Replaces
    Redfire) (JV)
    — Vapor Clearcoat Metallic (Replacing Tungsten) (ZY)

Typical FORD, say one thing do another.

Incidently, it could just be a screw up. Dark Toradore Red comes in both clearcoat and clearcoat metallic.

Mark.
    I am really confused. Cougarjunkie, 2008 order guide, Edmunds.com, and brochure all say DCAR is metallic. Mark, do you have more than one on the lot? Could the paint be defective on your in stock vehicle? It seems really strange they would make a change like that after all the literature is printed. I really do prefer a metallic paint. I would have picked another color had I known.