Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    Job 1 is scheduled for the 7th of September. Expect retail deliveries 4-6 weeks later
  • snakerbillsnakerbill Member Posts: 272
    Supporting evidence: Everyone in our auto club who bought a Mazda 6 or 3, and several others who are still driving their Probes claim to have gotten nearly flawless lst year cars. I guess they are all telling lies for the heck of it. Or maybe they are from Flat Rock and do not want to denigrate their home town. You have no tolerance of others statements or opinions, and I am sure that your wife sold the family encylopedia because you know everything. {:
  • crispiegeecrispiegee Member Posts: 90
    Good research Baggs. I sincerely hope they get the quality right the first time.

A couple of years ago, I was fairly certain my next car would be foreign. But with the introduction of the GTO and impending launch of the '05 Mustang, I'm 99.9% sure that I will buy American. It's a good feeling to know that our country's products are going to be competitive in the market place.

Snaker, I love hearing people's opinions, but I'm not so keen on assumptions. Many times you have stated opinions as though they are facts.

As far as the family encyclopedia goes, I'm one of the authors, so I get a free set every year...
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    "The first GTO I ever drove was built on the Tempest platform, that was a "compact" at the time.."

No, the 1964 GTO is on the A body, the first mid size cars from GM. Nova and Corviar were compacts at that time.

"GTO looks too much like other Pontiacs". Go get an auto history book and look at pictures of the 1960's Pontiac line up. The GTO had the exact same body as the Tempest/LeMans, with scoops and different taillights. It's as if people think all the 1960's cars sold were only Muscle Cars!
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    I hope that if you get a 2005 you are right and it will be a perfect car, but those of us who have gone through the first year assembly problems will probably wait till at least year two. You are probably right, but once (or twice in my case) bitten people will have an emotional time entering an order. Not saying we are right, but sometimes its hard for your mind to overcome your emotional side.
  • ksuwildcat001ksuwildcat001 Member Posts: 97
    I'd say that history doesn't side with snake. Ford has a history of having problems with the first model year of new vehicles.

ie: Mazda 6, Focus, new retro Tbird, Escape/Tribute, 99 Mercury Cougar, Contour/Mystique, etc.

It should be noted that the Cougar/Contour/Mystique and Mazda 6 were all built in the Flat Rock plant. Flat Rock isn't exactly known for building high quality products.
  • newbuyer31newbuyer31 Member Posts: 31
    Baggs,
    Just started yesterday, the Auto and Boat show at the Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg. I am sure you are familiar with it. On the radio ads they highlight the features and do mention in the ad they have the 05 Mustang on display. Being from Pitt you know HBg is a smaller town, so yes the new Mustang is even appearing at shows in small towns. I have heard comments from a few people already who have given their thoughts they like this car. even though most of them never had one before. I have not gone to the show and am not an enthusiast like the folks on here but yes it has had good reviews. I just like the cars and think I will trade mine for the new one anyway. You should drive up and see it in advance if you don't want to wait a few more weeks until your show starts. I actually thought you should have a show first being a bigger city and all, but again I don't know that much about cars.
  • czkf1czkf1 Member Posts: 17
    Does anyone know if the 2004 GTO uses "drive by wire" (DBW) technology, yet? I am sure GM will move to it someday.

I just noticed that the new 2005 Mustang will be using DBW, yuck.

Audi has been using DBW for several years now. Their throttle has a nasty habit of waiting 1-2 seconds, before actually applying the throttle, but only sometimes, usually, when the delay will cause driver errors.

I hope GM & Ford makes the DBW response quicker and predictable. The Audi system is terrible, especially on the Tiptronic (Automatic cars).

Don
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    you sure your not actually talking about the behavior of the CVT tranny in the Audi's causing the delay. I've driven some Audi's and the CVT has a 1-2 second delay when you put the hammer down.
  • czkf1czkf1 Member Posts: 17
    Audi DBW, in 2001-2003 tiptronic, this has been noticed in the 2003 S6 V8 Tiptronic, 2003 Pasand V8, 2000-2002 S4, 2003 S4 V8.

Do search on the web and you will see. The question is Ford going to make the same mistake as Audi/VW? Even Autoweek mentioned, this recently on the Pasand.

Don
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    "Audi has been using DBW for several years now. Their throttle has a nasty habit of waiting 1-2 seconds, before actually applying the throttle, but only sometimes, usually, when the delay will cause driver errors."

My current car ('03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport) has DBW. So far, it has been 'invisible'. Meaning: No hesitation, delay, or other inconsistencies.

- Ray
    Introducing the back of the throttle pedal to the carpet regularly . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Thanks newbuyer. Knowing that it's in Harrisburg gives me much hope!

As a side note, our boat show and auto show are separate animals. In fact, the show season just started up this week with the boat show. Then we'll have a custom car show, the auto show, and finally the home show. I think an RV show is thrown in there somewhere too.

My wife hates this time of year. ;)
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Other than heresay, has anyone actually seen info from Ford that states it will be possible to order a GT without the stupid trunk mounted wing? WHY do car makers insist on putting these things on our cars (other than for extra profit)?
    Several sites have info that the silly wing will be a delete option. I do not think the host likes it if I state which sites have this info. Look around and check to see about the delete option. I think it is a fact, but time will tell.
    Motor Trend, Car & Driver, and Hot Rod have all reported that there will be a delete option for the rear wing.
  • dae3dae3 Member Posts: 55
    One of the pictures on MSN's auto website shows a 2005 Mustang without a spoiler. I would say that should be a pretty definitive answer.
    But was it a picture of a GT, or the six cylinder car? All of the photos I've seen of the base car lack the rear wing, and all of the GT pics I've seen have the wing. Personally, I prefer the front and rear treatments on the base car, and I like the 16" alloys better than the GT wheels. If I could get a base car with a V8, I'd be a happy guy, but of course Ford won't build it that way.
  • emmanuelchokeemmanuelchoke Member Posts: 97
    A V-8, 5sp, air and decent sound system. That's all I'd need.
    If I could get a V8, I'd be willing to skip the sound system ;-) I seriously miss the days when you could order a base car with the biggest motor, and skip all the frills and doodads. A/C is a must here in Houston, but I'd be happy to forgo all the other junk (Mach audio, power accessories, sunroof, body kit add-ons, etc.) in the name of simplicity, weight & money savings, and clean lines. Kind of like the early 90s LX notchback with a 5.0 - a real Q ship.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Ok folks - you can no longer say 5 speed when referring to a manual transmission in the mustang. Both the automatic and manual are 5 speeds. There are also 6 speed autos (and at least one 7 speed).
    I get your point, but I hope that you are wrong about the 05 Stang. Ford really needs to get this car right, and I am encouraged by the fact that Ford had the good taste to leave all of the fake scoops off the car, and to my knowledge the silly wing will be a delete option. Also, the standard wheels on the GT will be l7 inch with 55 series Pirelli tires, making this a fairly good travel car. I do not like rubberband tires as they only make the car ride like it has square wheels. So far all the info points to Ford really trying to put out a good car on job l. I hope. (:
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    Well it may be a delete option when you special order the car, but most Fords are pre-built into a number of option packages and you get the best deal if you take whats on the lot. How many GTs, that are not special customer orders, do you think will be built without a spoiler? I hope it's one of Ford's standard spec levels, but I'd bet the cars on the lots will all have them.
  • quimcuntquimcunt Member Posts: 1
    Spoilers are a delete option on the 2004 Mustang GT, but I have never seen one without one. The under 25 set likes spoilers and that's how they ship them.
    I rarely can find a car on a lot equipped the way I want it, so if I have to order a GT and wait a few months to get a car without a rear wing, that works for me. I've learned the hard way that it doesn't pay to be one of the first to take delivery of a new model from Ford ;-)
    How bout the body add-ons? Can you delete those off the GT? I think this car looks best unadorned.
    What body addons? Are you talking about the new 2005 Mustang or the older 2004?
    Yeah, I am talking about the 2005. Check out the GT vs the V6 mustang. The GT has extra body trim around both bumpers and the side rocker panels. IMO it looks better without it. If I could get a V6 body with a GT engine and suspension, I would be very happy.

So does anyone know if you can delete them from a GT?
    The GT appears to have different front and rear valances than the V6. I don't think they are "add-ons", I'd guess the two cars use totally different front and rear bumper covers. The side sills are probably add-ons, but my guess is they are going to end up on every GT. It's funny, but you have the same idea as me -- a car with the appearance of the V6, but with a V8 engine and running gear. I'd even be willing to accept the slightly smaller front brakes to get the 16" alloys that come with the V6. Oh well - Ford won't build it, so what's the point of wishing?
    The front and rear bumpers on the 2005 Mustang are different from base to GT. It isn't an addon factor.

Ford made them different because a ton of GT owners said they wanted their Mustangs to look different than the base V6 Mustang. Personally I prefer the way the 2005 GT looks over the base Mustang. I was just the opposite though when it came to the 87 - 93 Mustangs.
  • stang2000stang2000 Member Posts: 6
    Anyone know when the 05 GT verts will be out ? Later than the coupes? I know the 94 vert was the first 94 I saw during that body changeover.
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    I saw Feb 2005 as the date
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    February 2005 is when they will start building them. March or April 2005 is probably a better bet on when they'll hit the lots.

Those dates are subject to change of course.
  • scarletstangscarletstang Member Posts: 24
    While I guess I am "jingiostic" as crispeegee says, he is not quite up on Ford car history. Right now nostalgia is selling before "sell-outs." I will not apologize for loving the 64-67 goats and not liking the fact that the new one is Australian whether they could/would be better or not. If you want to know how sought after the old goats are, just see how few were sold at the recent Jackson-Barrett auction. I would not buy a Mustang either if it was made anywhere else but in good old USA. No one was more excited than me at the prospect of having a GTO, but no thanks.
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    I understand what you're saying, but your analogy doesn't necessarily follow...

The fact that old GTOs are selling for large amounts at auction (when even sold) may or may not have to do with the fact that they were made in the USA. There are many variables that affect the price of classics (rarity when made, rarity now, engine choices, certain options, mythology, etc.), of which "made in the USA" is but one.

You'd have to run a regression to really see what the effects of the different variables are.

But the question I ask re Australian musclecars and their "authenticity" as such is - Ford and GM have been making Aussie musclecars for about as along as they've been making American ones. But to be a true GTO, it has to be assembled haphazardly and possess the shoddy build quality we assoctiate with Ford/GM domestic production???

Interesting argument.
    I'm not saying I love the GTO just because it was made in the USA, but it has a place in Americana. Pontiac is portraying honoring the GTO and my opinion is that don't take a car that already exists in Australia, work a few months to rush the new platform for it and expect us to embrace it. I know quite a bit about them since I researched them carefully to purchase one. I don't think I would refer to one as "shoddy."
    Agreed about the GTO's place as an American icon...definitely.

My point is just that the Monaro is a very high-quality car (and yes, I've actually ridden in one in Australia) that manages to combine all the musclecar power you'd expect, with a *much* better fit, finish and feel than just about anything that comes out of Detroit (from any point in GM's history).

It's also important to note I think that unlike Ford and GM here who are just now embracing the musclecar again, FordAus and Holden have been doing it for some time now. RWD cars with big engines are awesomely common down under...they even have a hugely (think NASCAR level) popular racing series called "V8 Supercars" that's akin to our TransAm Series, but with all the Holdens and Fords. The drivers do commericals for fast food joints... : )

In a certain sense, Australian companies been more loyal to the musclecar than have the orginators. So I think it's more than appropriate that the new GTO be from Australia.

If only GM/Ford would import more cars from Australia...but the UAW will see that that never happens.
  • stang2000stang2000 Member Posts: 6
    Hope I can wait that long ..........
    So an American icon is only american if it is assembled in the US?

How far does your "built-in-the-USA" idealogy go?

What if it was built in the US, but designed by a European team? How about if it was designed by an american living in a different country? What if the transmission was built in Asia, the steering-rack in europe, but the final assembly took place in the US? Would that be "American" enough?

Cars of every market are engineered and designed by non-local people. In fact for ages these people have been jumping from company to company and country to country and have designed cars all over the world.

The various parts for a single model are often built all over the world.

Is "american made" really made in america enough to be called american these days?

Do we have to break it down by percentages?

Seems kinda silly doesn't it?
  • midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    I am interested in the latest word about the 2005 Mustang, and all I read is people wanting the base model front and rear fascia, the spoiler as a delete option, and something about the old GTO and cars made in america.
    Thanks for the disection - I'll continue to think of the 60s GTO's as American muscle power.
    What else would one think of them as??
  • kenm8kenm8 Member Posts: 71
    Anyone out there that owned a 67-69 perf stang?
    I had a 67 289 hi perf solid lifter GTA. Engine and exhaust very nice sounds on acceleration. Put on Konis and Pirellis for better handling. Do recall a number of loose nuts/screws in interior of car when delivered that I went over myself and tightened up. Am anxiously awaiting a test drive in 05 GT.
  • 6thbeatle6thbeatle Member Posts: 180
    hi y'all! hope you're all havin' a super weekend. me, i can't wait to get outta these handcuffs (he's writn this for me with a feather pen) and get me into a second year edition of the new stang! i heard that frodo will be releasing special limited editions of the moostang each year after its 2005 release--maybe they'll coat the Shelby GT in some shiny turquoise metallic paint with white rally stripes and a parchment leather interior--yee ha!!! i've already forgotten all about the mazda 3, mazda 6 wagon, dodge hemi magnum, and subaru legacy turbo wagon i was contemplating. now it's between this car and the new nissan altima (250hp/250torque), and heck, i still like the practicality of the hemi wagon...but none of em look as sweet as this here impractical pony. now how am i gonna fit my board and my amp and this headboard in the back of my new ride?!
  • carjimcarjim Member Posts: 155
    The Ft Worth Auto Show, which is small, had the 2005 GT. I asked the demo lady about the spoiler and she said it is standard on the GT and is an option on the six. I asked her what she knew about the 4.0 V-6. She said it's "new." She couldn't tell me if new meant new to the Mustang or a new design. What is the correct answer?
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    It's the "cologne" 4.0L SOHC V6 that's been in the explorer since 97 and ranger a year or two after that. Supposed to be a stop gap until the 3.5 duratec comes out next year. Solid engine and definitely not new to Ford.
    the rear spoiler will be a delete option on the GT.
  • lackofdavelackofdave Member Posts: 37
    Just went to the Chicago car show and have to say the 04 is muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch better in person than in pictures. The powerful stance, bulging fenders and monster grill are all jawdropping. I got in early and only a few people were there but everyone was basically saying "Ford is gonna sell a ton of these." Honestly The cobra was a letdown compared to the production stang. The GT was also much better in person. I did dig the fact all 3 were silver with white stripes (or lighter grey?)
  • rumc3rumc3 Member Posts: 31
    Just saw the new Mustang and well, to me, it looks too much like a "Kid Car." Now, if you're a kid, there's no problem, I guess. I hate the stupid looking spoiler, as I do the GTO's. they look "tacked on" and yes, tacky.
    Mechanically, I'm sure the Mustang is great...I just don't care for the looks...awfully dated, isn't it?
    A friend of mine had a '69 Mach 1, 351 Cleveland engine with the 'shaker' hood, and I drove it more than he did in the summer of '70. This new Mustang looks an awful lot like that one, it seems to me.
    That's the problem...you can't do retro forever without it getting stale.

While I like the looks of the '05 as much as anyone, the next model after that hopefully will be something new. Otherwise, there's a danger that the Mustang will forever be stuck in time instead of evolving (as it has previously in its history).
    i believe that ford will use the retro-looking 2005 mustang as a design platform and starting base for future versions because they wanted to get the car's styling "back on track".

i agree that the next edition of the mustang will present an interesting challenge for ford, but i like the whole idea of cutting out the fox-platform-based years of the mustang.

except for the original version which had simple lines and an appealing boxy shape--especially in the notchback style--everything that came after was in my opinion melted down or tacked-on.

i LOVE the new mustang, and i will definitely buy one in 2006.