Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    For many of us that loved the styling of the vintage 60s Mustangs the 05 front end styling is one of the top reasons to buy this new model. Our 66 convertible was one of the most attractive cars ever made - from any angle IMO. This new one is another.

It's disappointing to hear of the whip antenna but I'd rather have that than an embedded one in the window that shorts out with the rear defroster on as I had happen on my present Bonneville. In an ironic way an external antenna will provide another tie back to the 60s!
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    Count me in as liking the new "retro" styling (although I've yet to see it in person). I owned a '66 Mustang coupe and loved the Mustang's styling up until the "fat" 1971 Model came out. The squarish fox bodies were good looking, but when the last styling version came out (1992?) I just lost complete interest. Just became ugly and I got tired of "add non-functional scoops all over it to update it" school of thought. I realize styling is subjective, but I think Ford will have a bit of a hit on their hands with the styling of the new Mustang.
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    Re the antenna, yeah it's too bad they weren't able to integrate it into the window, but in the real world, how often does anyone actually even notice their antenna? My 2002 GT has the "heritage" style antenna, and I can't remember the last time I actually noticed it...

Plus, with a front end like the 2005 has, I doubt anyone's going to notice the antenna at all. : )
  • pos_driverpos_driver Member Posts: 1
    I remember the fastback being a straight line back, right? Where are the pictures of the convertible? I'm not buying that bubbly hardtop. I think Mitsubishi Eclipse when I see the pictures. It looked much better in the car magazines I saw over a year ago.
  • ksuwildcat001ksuwildcat001 Member Posts: 97
    Pos_driver:

I guess I'm not seeing it. I really don't see how the new Mustang looks anything at all like an Eclipse. Where or how is the new Mustang "bubbly"?
  • shadowfax9shadowfax9 Member Posts: 1
    $18,000 for the Coupe V-6 and $25,000 for the V-8 GT...these are BASE prices. There are LOADS of options that will escalate the price quite a bit, but it's still not too bad for such a great car! Needless to say, Im getting one. : )
  • scarletstangscarletstang Member Posts: 24
    Are those who drive and choose a sports car really worried about gas mileage? That's a cliche', isn't it? I own a 2002 Mustang convertible and I and I fell in love with the appearance and stance. Taking on retro styling can be tricky; it has to be the right mix. I believe from what I have seen/read so far Ford has done a good job, but time will tell. I still don't know if I could give up my 2002!
  • proc2000proc2000 Member Posts: 13
    I've seen a ton of 2005s driving around Dearborn. Two of 'em pulled out in front of me from the test track yesterday, one a Sonic Blue GT, the other a maroon Coupe. I actually like the looks of the coupe, sans the extra 2 headlights and spoiler, better than the GT. The new 6-cylinder is rated higher, horsepower-wise, than the old 5.0L engine in the previous generation GTs. Man, what a nice car anyway you slice it.
  • martin3martin3 Member Posts: 17
    Invoice and Still no pricing, but here are the flavors for ordering

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/ford_mustang_2005/4020/model_overv- iew.html
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Lucky you getting to see all these cars that the rest of us are just imagining for now. I'd love to see that V6 Premium Coupe in the Sonic Blue - both with and without spoiler to judge my preference. I'm hoping to order one eventually when pricing is available although my wife is now suggesting we realllllly should wait for the new convertible next year instead. Decisions, decisions.....
  • NSORICNSORIC Member Posts: 33
    You can find the complete Ordering Guides at the StangBangers site...
  • sabotelsabotel Member Posts: 1
    The 2005 Mustang will be my first Ford. Having owned a 68 GTO, a Trans Ams, and a Z-28, GM is forcing me to buy a Ford. Could not be happier though as the 05 Mustang looks to be one of the sweetest cars to hit the road in a long time. A little retro goes a long way.
  • scarletstangscarletstang Member Posts: 24
    Okay, I'm jealous of the sightings in Dearborn! My uncle lives in Detroit; maybe I should visit. I like the rims with the spinners better on the coupe too. They seem to match the retro look a lot better (just opinion of course).
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Posted on another forum:

"2005 Mustang news from the 9/04 issue of Car Craft magazine is that word from Shelby American is that there will be a Shelby-ized version of the 05 Mustang shortly after the debut of the car this fall."

Yee-haw!
    Glad to see after years of dragging his own name through the mud (go Z-max!), Shelby has decided to bury the hatchet with Ford. I can't wait to see my first white-with-guardsman-blue-striping Shelby Mustang...
    He's been working with Ford for awhile now. Helped them do the Cobra concept car late last year and I thought he helped out on the GT40 also but I'm not positive.

Let's see - GT350 - start with a GT and add intake, exhaust, mild engine tuning to get hp up to 350. IRS, new wheels and tires, appearance package.

I'll take one in silver w/blue stripes, black interior w/blue accents please.
    + better shocks (maybe Konis).

+ performance brake pads (maybe Hawks), complete with warning sticker in car that says "this car equipped with high-performance brakes: stopping ability may be reduced when brakes are cold"

+ a minor detail, but something I totally love on the original Shelbys: a dash mounted gauge pod with maybe Ford Racing fuel and oil pressure gauges.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    And the new 5 speed automatic - with SST.
    - Ray
    Who can at least dream . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    + and special Shelby models available through Hertz....
    ...but only for a limited time before Hertz realizes that people like me are renting these things to flog mercilessly on track days.

"Oh, no no...I just need to rent a car to do some errands. A 'Shelby,' you say...hmmm...what's that? A Buick of some sort?"

; )
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,369
    Sadly, I think Hertz learned their lesson back in '66, even sadder they wouldn't rent a GT-350H to anyone under 25, which I didn't hit until the Rent-a-Shelby was history.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• revmattrevmatt Member Posts: 14
    Any new info on the 06/07 Mustang SVT Cobra?
  • 300hemifl300hemifl Member Posts: 21
    O.K. My deal is that my '01 Expedition lease was up May 15th. Since the end of '03, I had my eye on 2 cars....the '05 Mustang and the '05 Chrysler 300C. I hadn't seen the Mustang in person, but had seen the preview pics. I saw the 300C in October at the Chrysler Pro Golf tourney in the Tampa area and loved it.
    Last November, I told a few people at Ford that I wanted the Mustang if it could be ready by May, but also knowing I craved the C. Well, we know the answer. No Mustang. So I bought a Black 300C 3 months ago and it is awesome. Great ride and terrific power (340 hp).
    Now, I'm trying to convince my wife to either get rid of her Xterra (only 1 yr old) or I'm buying us a 3rd car (Mustang). She thinks I'm nuts. I love the Mustang's looks (Eleanor), even though I think I like the looks of the V6 better (not sure about the extra lights on the GT). However, having the great power in my 300c Hemi, I definitely want the 300 hp of the GT.
    (In my opinion, if one can afford it, I highly recommend paying up for the extra power. Its such an unreal difference).
    Anyway, I'll be now in this site alot more, just checking on the progress of this baby.
  • parmparm Member Posts: 724
    Pardon me if this topic has already been covered in this thread. Does anyone know, with a high level of confidence, when the '05 Mustangs will start showing up at dealerships? All I've heard is sometime in the Fall. I'd like a more specific answer if anyone happens to know (ie., middle of Sept.?, early Oct.?).

Thanks.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Actual production (JOB1) officially begins on Sept. 7th so expect to see them in showrooms around mid-Oct. However, I've read on dedicated Mustang forums that supply will be limited until sometime closer to the holiday season so don't expect to be able to actually purchase one until the end of the year. The line will be very busy filling pre-orders too.

Some pre-production copies may or may not be available to some dealers as show pieces and, if they meet quality standards, etc., possibly for sale. Expect to see these sooner if you are one of the lucky few to live close to a dealer that gets one.

Also, vert production begins in late January of next year.
  • andyman73andyman73 Member Posts: 322
    Did any of ya'll see the GTR on the car show circuit? I'll take 2, thank you very much!

Andy
  • bcohenbcohen Member Posts: 58
    So I stopped by Gingerman Raceway in South Haven, Michigan last night on my way home and on the sign its says, "Welcome 2005 Mustang". I pulled in and they were testing a V6 Mustang on the track at the time. There was a guy from Ford there who said that they were doing more testing and introductions (press?) today (8/4) for the Mustang GT from noon-2:30. Unfortunately its raining today and I'm at work or I would have gone over to watch it. I also saw the Mustang GT on the road going towards the track on my way to work this morning. Looks great on the road!!!
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    off topic, but my own topic (Ford Crown Victoria)could never answer this question, but the sports-minded folks here at Mustang will have the answers...I just bought a 2004 Crown Vic, dual exhaust, floor shifter, (dare I say) "performance model" (I needed a good road car, and this fits the bill)...the car does not have a left foot "dead pedal", and the gas pedal is spaced too far (almost 3 inches) to the left of the tunnel, making it difficult to "rest my foot" on the tunnel while driving, so my right foot and ankle get quite tired quickly...where could I purchase: 1) a dead pedal to install under the parking brake to rest my left foot, and 2) are there any "pedal wideners" (something to bolt to the narrow 1 inch gas pedal to make it wider) so I can rest my right foot against the tunnel while I accelerate???...needless to say, the Crown Vic topic isn't exactly into "performance parts" if you get my drift...lastly, the stereo/CD in this vehicle is quite poor (I wish the 290 watt audiophile system for the Mountaineer was available for this car)...can aftermarket stereo shops fit it with a decent stereo/CD unit, WITHOUT DESTROYING THE DASHBOARD???...thanks for your help...

Bob
  • NSORICNSORIC Member Posts: 33
    Re: Crown Vic Audio Upgrade

I've always had good luck using Crutchfield. They always supply custom installation kits for your specific vehicle, inclusing wiring harness so you do not have to hack into the wiring.
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    Yes...go to crutchfield.com and enter your vehicle and they will be able to tell you what stereo will fit your dash with no problems.
  • trucker50trucker50 Member Posts: 108
    JVC makes a sweet cd/cassette combo that should fit nicely in the Crown Vic(available at Circuit City)....I rented a Grand Marquis to take on vacation and feel your pain as far as the stereo(sic) goes....the JVC should even get better sound outta your stock speakers
    New speakers would probably improve the sound more than a new head unit if you're only going to do one or the other. OEM speakers normally suck. I'd do the speakers first, see how it sounds, then upgrade the head unit if necessary.
  • setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
    So the convertible will probably not start arriving until mid-march about??
    Sounds about right.
  • dae3dae3 Member Posts: 55
    For what its worth. You can can this with a grain of salt if you like.

I have a buddy whose buddy is in charge of ordering for a Ford dealership. He said that they are supposed to be getting five 2005 Mustangs in a few weeks. They are all pre-sold. This is the SVT dealership in town and the highest volume dealer in Indiana so it would not surprise me if they were pretty close to the front of the line for these new cars. One of the cars is a "Floor Display" car. This was explained to me as a car that is marked "for display only" so that some idiot will walk in and pay $15,000 over sticker for the "unatainable car." This dealer did this for the Thunderbird and it took them two whole days to get their sucker.
    Strong pace of advance orders for the new 'Stang indicate a good jump for the restyled pony car. It'd be surprising IMO if there wasn't some pent up demand. Once the gotta haves get theirs will sales remain strong or collapse like those of the new GTO?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=677&e=1&a- mp;u=/usatoday/20040902/bs_usatoday/mustangsalesofflikeabullet

• nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    Unless there's a major quality problem with the launch, which I doubt because Ford, and I mean Bill himself, is very committed to this vehicle and I think that they learned their lesson on the Focus, at least for the time being. The Mustang has always had a pretty strong following, the car is priced to sell, the V6 start under $20K, and offers decent performance, and it looks uniquely like a Mustang, the GT give 300 hp for under $30K, the '05s are more usable as regular transport then the Fox bodied cars were, I'm 6'2" and have adequate legroom in the back with front seats all the way back, and in front I have a couple inches of seat travel left when I'm in a comfortable driving position, even the trunk is reasonably sized. The GTO isn't bad looking, it just looks too much like Bonneville coupe. And if you've sat in one with an all black interior, their unbelivably drab for a car that cost almost $40K. It also gets hit with a gas guzzler tax on the automatic. A lot of people would rather spend a few grand more and get a Vette.
  • ksuwildcat001ksuwildcat001 Member Posts: 97
    has hardly any trunk room because the gas tank is located inside the trunk. I've seen where Pontiac is already having to use big discounts because they aren't selling.

The Mustang will be a much better all around car than the GTO and a HUGE seller.
    I disagree - it doesn't look like a Bonneville.

It looks like a Pontiac Sunfire.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    One of the cars is a "Floor Display" car. This was explained to me as a car that is marked "for display only" so that some idiot will walk in and pay $15,000 over sticker for the "unatainable car."

Actually Ford did produce quite a few pre-production copies last month. Some are scheduled for crash tests, some for road tests, and the rest are supposed to be used for quality checks. The latter are rumored to make it to dealer showrooms sooner than the "real" production copies and be used for display only. However, if everything goes well with them, meaning quality is up to par, Ford might give the OK to sell them.

This info came from a dedicated Mustang forum and no one has disputed it to this point. Like you said though, take it with a grain of salt. ;)
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Hey I'd tell you to give me a call to order one but i dont' want edmunds to get mad at me.

I suggest you keep calling around. I wouldn't be surprised if people at the dealership u called were trying to manufacture a little hype of their own.

People who come to my dealership in south jersey are definitely asking about it but only in a "gee wouldn't it be nice if i could buy any sports car instead of this new family hauler" kind of way.

Mark
    LOL! I never thought I'd see the day a Mustang fan would criticize another car for lack of trunk space. My '86 convertible's trunk would barely
    hold the boot cover and a six-pack. </:^)

I like both the Goat and the 'Stang but that's because I have owned previous examples of both--
    -1970 Goat convertible-4sp-400cid/4bbl.
    -1986 5.0 convertible-5sp./EFI

There's nothing like a fast convertible IMO.

• nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    I can't tell you what the '05 or '06 actually convertibles trunk space will be like, but the coupe has quite a generous and usefully shaped trunk: 13 ft^3, you lose about a ft^3 if you get the shaker audio, that's almost as much as some midsize sedans. It has split fold down reat seats too. Still too small for my needs but not bad. If only I could afford two cars.
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    Having had an 88 convertible I have to agree...a backpack if you were lucky! However, my 2000 Mustang convert while not huge does have a more usable trunk. Just went to the Jersey Shore for the weekend and got 2 beach chairs, a beach umbrella and a couple of soft duffel type bags in it - of course the suitcase was in the back seat! We even can take it to the grocery store! Don't know what the 2005 convert trunk will be like, but it would be great if it had even a bit more room!
  • nb2169nb2169 Member Posts: 35
    I looked at the link posted by martin3 and noticed that the Deluxe Mustang GT has "R" tires as standard equipment. The Premium Mustang GT has "ZR" rated tires. Does this mean that the Deluxe Mustang GT will have some kind of governor installed to limit the speed of the car?
    Thanks,
            nb2169
    Most likely, yes. It should be limited to the tire's speed rating. However, if you put on Z rated tires and your dealer is nice they can reflash the computer with the Premium pcm code which should up the limiter to the Z speed rating (assuming nothing else is different between the two pcm versions).
  • ambullambull Member Posts: 255
    Both the Deluxe and the Premium Mustang GTs will have 235/55ZR17 all-season tires as standard equipment.
  • nb2169nb2169 Member Posts: 35
    akirby and ambull thanks for the info on the tires. If both have the "ZR" rated tires, then there probably won't be a limiter on either the Deluxe or Premium Mustang GT, correct?
    Thanks Again,
                 nb2169
  • setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
    sorry if this has already been asked, I didn't see it asked recently. But anyway, what are you guys guessing the Mustang GT convertible pricing is going to be starting at? Maybe around 30k? My aunt is going to buy a new convertible, and after finding out the Solara convertible has a shiftable automatic transmission (she HATES them) or whatever it's called, she lost interest. I showed her a pic of the new Mustang and she said she is definetly willing to wait! I am hoping she gets it, it looks like it will be a very nice car.