Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,688
    Sadly, I think Hertz learned their lesson back in '66, even sadder they wouldn't rent a GT-350H to anyone under 25, which I didn't hit until the Rent-a-Shelby was history.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• revmattrevmatt Posts: 14
    Any new info on the 06/07 Mustang SVT Cobra?
  • 300hemifl300hemifl Posts: 21
    O.K. My deal is that my '01 Expedition lease was up May 15th. Since the end of '03, I had my eye on 2 cars....the '05 Mustang and the '05 Chrysler 300C. I hadn't seen the Mustang in person, but had seen the preview pics. I saw the 300C in October at the Chrysler Pro Golf tourney in the Tampa area and loved it.
    Last November, I told a few people at Ford that I wanted the Mustang if it could be ready by May, but also knowing I craved the C. Well, we know the answer. No Mustang. So I bought a Black 300C 3 months ago and it is awesome. Great ride and terrific power (340 hp).
    Now, I'm trying to convince my wife to either get rid of her Xterra (only 1 yr old) or I'm buying us a 3rd car (Mustang). She thinks I'm nuts. I love the Mustang's looks (Eleanor), even though I think I like the looks of the V6 better (not sure about the extra lights on the GT). However, having the great power in my 300c Hemi, I definitely want the 300 hp of the GT.
    (In my opinion, if one can afford it, I highly recommend paying up for the extra power. Its such an unreal difference).
    Anyway, I'll be now in this site alot more, just checking on the progress of this baby.
  • parmparm Posts: 723
    Pardon me if this topic has already been covered in this thread. Does anyone know, with a high level of confidence, when the '05 Mustangs will start showing up at dealerships? All I've heard is sometime in the Fall. I'd like a more specific answer if anyone happens to know (ie., middle of Sept.?, early Oct.?).

Thanks.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,221
    Actual production (JOB1) officially begins on Sept. 7th so expect to see them in showrooms around mid-Oct. However, I've read on dedicated Mustang forums that supply will be limited until sometime closer to the holiday season so don't expect to be able to actually purchase one until the end of the year. The line will be very busy filling pre-orders too.

Some pre-production copies may or may not be available to some dealers as show pieces and, if they meet quality standards, etc., possibly for sale. Expect to see these sooner if you are one of the lucky few to live close to a dealer that gets one.

Also, vert production begins in late January of next year.
  • andyman73andyman73 Posts: 368
    Did any of ya'll see the GTR on the car show circuit? I'll take 2, thank you very much!

Andy
  • bcohenbcohen Posts: 58
    So I stopped by Gingerman Raceway in South Haven, Michigan last night on my way home and on the sign its says, "Welcome 2005 Mustang". I pulled in and they were testing a V6 Mustang on the track at the time. There was a guy from Ford there who said that they were doing more testing and introductions (press?) today (8/4) for the Mustang GT from noon-2:30. Unfortunately its raining today and I'm at work or I would have gone over to watch it. I also saw the Mustang GT on the road going towards the track on my way to work this morning. Looks great on the road!!!
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,676
    off topic, but my own topic (Ford Crown Victoria)could never answer this question, but the sports-minded folks here at Mustang will have the answers...I just bought a 2004 Crown Vic, dual exhaust, floor shifter, (dare I say) "performance model" (I needed a good road car, and this fits the bill)...the car does not have a left foot "dead pedal", and the gas pedal is spaced too far (almost 3 inches) to the left of the tunnel, making it difficult to "rest my foot" on the tunnel while driving, so my right foot and ankle get quite tired quickly...where could I purchase: 1) a dead pedal to install under the parking brake to rest my left foot, and 2) are there any "pedal wideners" (something to bolt to the narrow 1 inch gas pedal to make it wider) so I can rest my right foot against the tunnel while I accelerate???...needless to say, the Crown Vic topic isn't exactly into "performance parts" if you get my drift...lastly, the stereo/CD in this vehicle is quite poor (I wish the 290 watt audiophile system for the Mountaineer was available for this car)...can aftermarket stereo shops fit it with a decent stereo/CD unit, WITHOUT DESTROYING THE DASHBOARD???...thanks for your help...

Bob
  • NSORICNSORIC Posts: 33
    Re: Crown Vic Audio Upgrade

I've always had good luck using Crutchfield. They always supply custom installation kits for your specific vehicle, inclusing wiring harness so you do not have to hack into the wiring.
  • fdthirdfdthird Posts: 352
    Yes...go to crutchfield.com and enter your vehicle and they will be able to tell you what stereo will fit your dash with no problems.
  • trucker50trucker50 Posts: 148
    JVC makes a sweet cd/cassette combo that should fit nicely in the Crown Vic(available at Circuit City)....I rented a Grand Marquis to take on vacation and feel your pain as far as the stereo(sic) goes....the JVC should even get better sound outta your stock speakers
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,730
    New speakers would probably improve the sound more than a new head unit if you're only going to do one or the other. OEM speakers normally suck. I'd do the speakers first, see how it sounds, then upgrade the head unit if necessary.
  • setzersetzer Posts: 127
    So the convertible will probably not start arriving until mid-march about??
    Sounds about right.
  • dae3dae3 Posts: 55
    For what its worth. You can can this with a grain of salt if you like.

I have a buddy whose buddy is in charge of ordering for a Ford dealership. He said that they are supposed to be getting five 2005 Mustangs in a few weeks. They are all pre-sold. This is the SVT dealership in town and the highest volume dealer in Indiana so it would not surprise me if they were pretty close to the front of the line for these new cars. One of the cars is a "Floor Display" car. This was explained to me as a car that is marked "for display only" so that some idiot will walk in and pay $15,000 over sticker for the "unatainable car." This dealer did this for the Thunderbird and it took them two whole days to get their sucker.
    Strong pace of advance orders for the new 'Stang indicate a good jump for the restyled pony car. It'd be surprising IMO if there wasn't some pent up demand. Once the gotta haves get theirs will sales remain strong or collapse like those of the new GTO?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=677&e=1&a- mp;u=/usatoday/20040902/bs_usatoday/mustangsalesofflikeabullet

• nedc2nedc2 Posts: 192
    Unless there's a major quality problem with the launch, which I doubt because Ford, and I mean Bill himself, is very committed to this vehicle and I think that they learned their lesson on the Focus, at least for the time being. The Mustang has always had a pretty strong following, the car is priced to sell, the V6 start under $20K, and offers decent performance, and it looks uniquely like a Mustang, the GT give 300 hp for under $30K, the '05s are more usable as regular transport then the Fox bodied cars were, I'm 6'2" and have adequate legroom in the back with front seats all the way back, and in front I have a couple inches of seat travel left when I'm in a comfortable driving position, even the trunk is reasonably sized. The GTO isn't bad looking, it just looks too much like Bonneville coupe. And if you've sat in one with an all black interior, their unbelivably drab for a car that cost almost $40K. It also gets hit with a gas guzzler tax on the automatic. A lot of people would rather spend a few grand more and get a Vette.
  • has hardly any trunk room because the gas tank is located inside the trunk. I've seen where Pontiac is already having to use big discounts because they aren't selling.

The Mustang will be a much better all around car than the GTO and a HUGE seller.
    I disagree - it doesn't look like a Bonneville.

It looks like a Pontiac Sunfire.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,221
    One of the cars is a "Floor Display" car. This was explained to me as a car that is marked "for display only" so that some idiot will walk in and pay $15,000 over sticker for the "unatainable car."

Actually Ford did produce quite a few pre-production copies last month. Some are scheduled for crash tests, some for road tests, and the rest are supposed to be used for quality checks. The latter are rumored to make it to dealer showrooms sooner than the "real" production copies and be used for display only. However, if everything goes well with them, meaning quality is up to par, Ford might give the OK to sell them.

This info came from a dedicated Mustang forum and no one has disputed it to this point. Like you said though, take it with a grain of salt. ;)
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Hey I'd tell you to give me a call to order one but i dont' want edmunds to get mad at me.

I suggest you keep calling around. I wouldn't be surprised if people at the dealership u called were trying to manufacture a little hype of their own.

People who come to my dealership in south jersey are definitely asking about it but only in a "gee wouldn't it be nice if i could buy any sports car instead of this new family hauler" kind of way.

Mark
    LOL! I never thought I'd see the day a Mustang fan would criticize another car for lack of trunk space. My '86 convertible's trunk would barely
    hold the boot cover and a six-pack. </:^)

I like both the Goat and the 'Stang but that's because I have owned previous examples of both--
    -1970 Goat convertible-4sp-400cid/4bbl.
    -1986 5.0 convertible-5sp./EFI

There's nothing like a fast convertible IMO.

• nedc2nedc2 Posts: 192
    I can't tell you what the '05 or '06 actually convertibles trunk space will be like, but the coupe has quite a generous and usefully shaped trunk: 13 ft^3, you lose about a ft^3 if you get the shaker audio, that's almost as much as some midsize sedans. It has split fold down reat seats too. Still too small for my needs but not bad. If only I could afford two cars.
  • fdthirdfdthird Posts: 352
    Having had an 88 convertible I have to agree...a backpack if you were lucky! However, my 2000 Mustang convert while not huge does have a more usable trunk. Just went to the Jersey Shore for the weekend and got 2 beach chairs, a beach umbrella and a couple of soft duffel type bags in it - of course the suitcase was in the back seat! We even can take it to the grocery store! Don't know what the 2005 convert trunk will be like, but it would be great if it had even a bit more room!
  • I looked at the link posted by martin3 and noticed that the Deluxe Mustang GT has "R" tires as standard equipment. The Premium Mustang GT has "ZR" rated tires. Does this mean that the Deluxe Mustang GT will have some kind of governor installed to limit the speed of the car?
    Thanks,
            nb2169
    Most likely, yes. It should be limited to the tire's speed rating. However, if you put on Z rated tires and your dealer is nice they can reflash the computer with the Premium pcm code which should up the limiter to the Z speed rating (assuming nothing else is different between the two pcm versions).
  • ambullambull Posts: 255
    Both the Deluxe and the Premium Mustang GTs will have 235/55ZR17 all-season tires as standard equipment.
  • akirby and ambull thanks for the info on the tires. If both have the "ZR" rated tires, then there probably won't be a limiter on either the Deluxe or Premium Mustang GT, correct?
    Thanks Again,
                 nb2169
  • setzersetzer Posts: 127
    sorry if this has already been asked, I didn't see it asked recently. But anyway, what are you guys guessing the Mustang GT convertible pricing is going to be starting at? Maybe around 30k? My aunt is going to buy a new convertible, and after finding out the Solara convertible has a shiftable automatic transmission (she HATES them) or whatever it's called, she lost interest. I showed her a pic of the new Mustang and she said she is definetly willing to wait! I am hoping she gets it, it looks like it will be a very nice car.