Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Just because it's 'shiftable' (the term is manumatic or automanual) doesn't mean she HAS to shift it. She can leave it in Drive and it will work like any other automatic. The shifting is purely optional and shouldn't be a reason not to get a car IMO. Maybe she thinks she HAS to shift it all the time?

I saw a new Solara vert yesterday. Very impressive. Not sure I like the rear but the front and interior were nice.

Check the current convertible prices - the 2005 should be within a few hundred dollars.
  • Options
    nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    Maybe she wants a real manual. The Solara V6 is only available with an auto.
  • Options
    nancyrnancyr Member Posts: 2
    I test drove the 2005 mustang GT at a Ford event last week. It is more beautiful than the pictures display. I test drove a black GT automatic. Sweet...... the interior feels like it wraps around you.. you feel secure in it. The get up and go... well, I placed my foot on the peddal and around the track I went and we were off to the cones where the car handled great on the quick right, left, right turns.
    I wish the track was longer to get a chance to let it rip.

The sticks that were being test driven gave the guys a chance to peel out.

I can't wait to trade in my 6 cyl. 99 for this new GT baby.

The trunk space I felt was big enough for luggage and what ever I would want to put into it. The back seats appear small, but, hey I am not a taxi and if they want to ride with me, then don't complain. Get a mini van if you want more room. This is true sport in an affordable price.

My only problem is to figure out which color I want.
    Nancy
  • Options
    andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,392
    Aw c'mon. You're not gonna throw that out there and not give us some impressions of the car or tell us how you got hold of one, are you?

Teaser!

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Options
    nancyrnancyr Member Posts: 2
    Sorry I am New to this site.
    The car is sweet and I took some pictures. I don't know how to post them to this sight but could e-mail if you would like.

The car is HOT..........

I can't wait to get mine.
  • Options
    Oops - I thought 'shiftable' was the problem, not automatic. You're probably right.
  • Options
    setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
    shiftable was the problem, not automatic. she wants automatic.

Camry Solara's automatic transmission: http://www.toyota.com/camrysolara/key_features/auto_transmission.- html

(Edmunds called it "5 Speed Shiftable Automatic" when I compared it with other convertibles)

She had a Subaru Outback rental and it's transmission is similar to the Solara. She hated it and thought it would be easier just to have a car with a regular automatic. She even said to me, "I would never buy a car with this [kind of transmission]"

Subaru Outback's transmission: http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/image/682004111438.jpg

On the other hand...
    Mustang's automatic transmission: http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/image/0112200415254949.jpg

See the difference? Sorry I didn't explain it better the first time.
  • Options
    So I was right after all. Does she understand that it operates like any other normal automatic - you just put it in Drive and away you go. You only use the self-shift feature if you want to.

I think she needs to drive and try it in normal auto mode before deciding. I don't think it's that big of a deal, unless she just hates the shifter design itself. I don't particularly care for the zig-zag layout myself.
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Regarding your Aunt's desire on automatics: the only difference I can 'see' is the gated feature. Are you saying she doesn't like the various gates (as shown for the Solara and Suburu shifter) vs. the simple straight forward and back gear selector on the Mustang?
  • Options
    mustangteenmustangteen Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone happen to know whether or not this Magnificent 2005 Mustang is coming out on Septemer 29? My mom has one ordered, and has it on order for a long time, however no one around this little part of Tennessee seems to know anything! The Dealers have no clue as to when it's coming out, or at least they say they don't. Please Help, Any information on release date or production date would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    joecugjoecug Member Posts: 15
    The best site I have seen to keep
    track of the actual production and
    delivery of the 2005 model is
    www.2005Mustang.com
    that site has posts from guys in the
    Flat Rock plant that are actually building the cars. The first one came of the line on Tuesday. However Ford
    ran into defect problems with the
    new 3-valve 4.6L V8, so those cars
    wont be shipped until the engines are
    checked out and certified for shipment
    which might be a while. Even the V6
    models will have a thorough going over by Ford head honchos before they get
    shipped since its a new model. The
    Flat Rock plant also makes Mazdas so
    the number of Mustangs produced will
    also depend on how many Mazdas vs
    Mustangs they want produce in any given month. I get the impression from
    the posts by the Flat Rock workers
    that Ford doesn't want to rush this
    thing and risk putting out cars that
    could have problems,so you'll
    probably have to be patient.
  • Options
    jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    Don't want to keep bringing up the automatic transmission topic, but is Ford finally going to put the correct number of detents in for the shifter? Meaning are they going to have D-3-2-1 with a button to get into OD, or will it be OD-D-1, or whatever the heck it was on the Fox. I remember having to start in 1, pop it in D, then slamming the shifter back into 1 to get 2nd gear. then back into D. The AOD didn't like that too much let me tell you. Can't tell by the pics. Nancyr, what are the detents?
  • Options
    dae3dae3 Member Posts: 55
    Isn't the whole idea of "automatic transmission" that you put it in drive and let the car take care of the rest? Maybe it's just me.
  • Options
    trucker50trucker50 Member Posts: 108
    I spotted a car hauler with the new '05 Mustangs earlier this week heading down I-69 as I was returning from Michigan....sweet
  • Options
    john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    "AOD didn't like that too much" Hard to believe, that. ;-)

Shouldn't you just get a manual if you're going to shift your auto like that? It's murder on the transmission, and you'll be slower than if you just let the car shift for you.

And Ford Racing and a number of aftermarket companies make shift-reprogram kits that allow you to tune your computer to shift exactly where you want it to...just like the pros use. You'll be faster and more consistent than any manual that way... Just a thought.
  • Options
    mustangashleymustangashley Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard anything about the 05' Mustang release date? I just cannot wait any longer. It looks sooooo good and it offers so many options!
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    . . has been officially released to dealers.
    GT MSRP below $25K w/dest.
    - Ray
    Thinking this is a bargain - if this is the sort of vehicle one wants . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    spectramanspectraman Member Posts: 255
    Hey Gang...

I was able to check out a Ford engineer's test GT 'Stang here in Michigan yesterday. It was very well done, with the interior appearing to be made of high quality materials.

I was VERY surprised however to see that the rear seat leg room is NON-EXISTENT if the front seats are far back on their tracks. I compared the rear seat legroom in my '88 LX 5.0 which was parked next to the new '05, and there must have been a 4"-5" difference.

I have 2 pre-teen daughters that I like to take along with my wife in the car, and from what I could tell, the new '05 is basically now a 2-seater. There's almost no way they'd fit into the back seat of the '05. Bummer.

But, it IS nice to see Ford put a serious effort into the new Mustang project and keep the bloodline going.

-SM
  • Options
    Well, that fits with the current 'Stang. My 2002 can hold one adult in the back if he/she sits sideways. And it's not esp. comfortable re legroom then...
  • Options
    Pony cars have always featured lousy back seats.

• Options
    nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    I'm almost 6'3" in my size 12 street shoes, and I was in the back seat of the '05 Mustang at a recent Ride and Drive event on Belle Isle in Detroit, I found the rear seat leg and footroom more than adequate for a 2+2 coupe. It's a bit of work folding myself into the car, the seats need to come all the way forward to get past the B-pillar, but once seated back there, with the front seats pushed all the way back it's fine, my knees weren't even touching the seatbacks, I would find it reasonably comfortable for at least half an hour, I can't imagine that 2 pre-teen girls would have any trouble unless they're already being scouted by WNBA teams.
  • Options
    Here's a related trivia question:

The original Mustang concept (ironically named the "Mustang II") was a true two-seater; however, for production, Ford decided to put in a back seat. What was Ford's very specific rationale/who conviced it do to do this?

: )
  • Options
    Ever driven on the 405? Or any other traffic-ladened roads. Think that would answer your point.

Second, do you know people that have auto Mustangs that race them (street, track)?. Have you heard of the "Automatic Class" in the 1/8 and quarter-mile? As far as leaving it in "D" and being faster, debatable and doubtful. The speed would depend on a lot more than just whether you left the trans in "D" or if you shifted it manually. Won't get into it, to long to try to explain. The main point of the question was to find out if Ford was going to have detents for every gear, or cheap out like they did on the fox platform. Not jumping down your or the other person's throat, but I thought I made that clear, guess I didn't. My bad.

Also, how could you re-program the AOD when it wasn't computer controlled? You could put a shift-kit in it, that would allow adjustments in the line pressure by swapping out gaskets, plates, springs and relocations check balls. But a computer re-program kit for a transmission that's not computer-controlled? How's that possible. Now, an AOD-E, ok.
  • Options
    What if you need to downshift of hold a particular gear for a some reason? Wouldn't it be nice to select and stay in a gear if you wanted? If you needed engine braking, downh-ll situation? Towing situation? Creeping situation, like through snow? If you have a four-speed auto, wouldn't it be nice to be able to select 1-2-d-od.

If that's the case, why not make all manuals with the 1-4 skip shift. "What, 2nd and 3rd gear? What the h*ll do you need those for? Go straight to fourth, you'll never miss those two gears because you'll never need them." ;)
  • Options
    Because Lee Iacocca needed volume sales and knew that you couldn't do that with a 2-seater?
  • Options
    Exactly, thus the godfather of the Minivan and the godfather of the pony car are the same guy--Iacocca. Some of us still haven't quite forgiven him for not building the sports roadster we were dreaming of.

• Options
    Hi nedc2!

The rear seats I saw were heavily scooped out, and as you say perhaps provide a comfortable seating position. I couldn't actually get in the car, so I couldn't judge that aspect of it.

BUT.... I could take note that there was no more than 3 inches from the front of the bottom rear seat cushion to the back of the front seats. If you're 6' 3", and the 'Stang you sat in was the same as the one I saw, There is NO physical way possible that your knees weren't splayed sideways or weren't jammed into the back of the front seat, provided the front seat was pushed all the way back.

Maybe the scooped out seating position angles the leg and knees differently. It could be a geometry trick.

But... from what I saw, my calves alone would have been pinched in the space that available in front of the rear seat cushions.

The car did have a manufacturer's plate on it, and perhaps it had a custom seat track, but it didn't look like a test mule. It looked like a completed road-ready production model.

In any case, I'll have to drop in at a dealership and crawl in the back to check it out myself.

As I said before though, the interior does look really nice, esp. in the front area.

-SM
  • Options
    andys120:

Your comment on lousy back seats in Pony cars is predominantly true for all the models except those made from '79-93. In those years the rear seats weren't great, but they weren't lousy either.

My '88 LX 5.0 has a full width flat bench-like seat cushion in the rear, and the height of the cushion is high enough to make it fairly comfortable. The leg room with the front seats all the way back is somewhere around 8", so my legs can at least squeeze in the space.

The head room in the back is probably the worst part of the rear set-up, but styling always gets the upper hand on this part of most attractive cars. The true Fox-bodied 'Stangs were at least tall enough to give decent head room in the back. I can only imagine how cramped it got in rear of the later models (post '94) with the curved roofline. That style looked good though!

I agree with everyone's assessment that back seat room isn't the main thing Mustang owners should worry about. My main gripe was with the fact that the complete lack of rear legroom in the new (read: clean sheet design) model was both surprising and disappointing for those of us (read: Boomers) that still have family members to haul around in our new toy.

Since Chevy designed the new 'Vette's interior ergonomics with the aging Boomer's needs in mind, I would have thought/hoped that Ford would have popped for a few extra inches of rear legroom in the Mustang for owners who are still doing the family 'thang.

That's my last whining on this subject. :-)

Go 'Stang!

-SM
  • Options
    I had an '86 Fox Mustang (GT Convertible/5s)and I didn't have many occasions to put people in the back but when I did I felt guilty about it, based on the few times I sat there.

I imagine coupe seating was a little better but I'd rank the Fox-based cars behind their 60s counterparts for rear seat accommodations

• Options
    The new mustang is 6 inches longer and the reviews seem to indicate more legroom. I suggest trying one in person to see for sure. It is possible there's more room but the front seats go back further.
  • Options
    Andy:

I think your perspective of the Fox rear seat comfort is skewed due to the fact you owned the convertible. Convertible rear seats in most cars (from my observation) are notoriously sacrificed in both depth and width due to the folding roof mechanism.

I've sat in a '69 Mach I and a 75 Mustang II (yes I know... they were glorified Pintos), and my '88 fastback's rear seat comfort is superior.

-SM
  • Options
    mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Hey if passenger disconfort is the disadvantage to me driving a car like the Mustang....I say GREAT I can live with that.

hehehe

Mark
  • Options
    Fair enough. An '88 FB prolly had better head room in front or rear than recent 'Stangs.

• Options
    Q: "What if you need to downshift of hold a particular gear for a some reason?"

A: I'll give you that one.

Q: "If you needed engine braking, downh-ll situation?"

A: Possibly

Q: "Towing situation?"

Who tows with a Mustang?

Q: Creeping situation, like through snow?

A: If you are creeping why are you slamming it back and forth through the gears.

Basically, if you are going to use the car in the way you described you need to get an Manual transmission. Car manufacturers are not going to design a high volume car for the 1/10th of 1% that are going to be doing unusual things with their car.
  • Options
    Any messages about how to "drive fast" with an automatic transmission...PLEASE...i'm just not reading..I don't think i'm alone in this regard.

That should be a seperate discussion group...

Mark
  • Options
    "That should be a seperate discussion group..."

Sign me up.

- Ray
    Former Land Speed Record holder in E-Production - and daily (fast) driver = automatic equipped - for several reasons that apparently just do not apply to you personally - and that's just fine. . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    Well...

It did start off as a question about the auto on the new Mustang so it belongs in this discussion as much as someone talking about whether they like the wheels or any other design or functional feature of the new car. But, I'll shut up. The original question sounded silly to me, thats all.
  • Options
    Re the automatic question, why not discuss it?

I mean we've more or less exhausted the 2005 topic for now (with the exception of the once-weekly "does anyone have information on when the 2005 Mustang will be officially coming out??" question). So what else is there to talk about until the '05 actually arrives?

I don't drive automatics myself, but surely there's no harm in discussing it? What other discussion is being crowded out?
  • Options
    fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    When will Hertz get them?
  • Options
    The Ford Co will hold a press conference
    on Monday the 27th to show off the 2005s.
    The CNBC channel is supposed to cover it live
    (that what their Email notice says). Didnt
    give any time of day for the show. I was in
    a display model at the Dover Downs racetrack
    (this weeks NASCAR race), definitely more
    rear seat room than the current model.
  • Options
    tacoboytacoboy Member Posts: 25
    I just read that the Mustang GT will be delayed due to a problem with the 4.6L engine. The V6s should be shipping end of Oct, but the GTs are delayed until Ford finds a solution. Another botched release for Ford?
  • Options
    The GT will be released because a batch of 3 valve heads was defective for some reason. The delay is merely to permit new heads to be made.

The 3 valve head is already used on the F-150 5.4 liter engine and the F-250/350 6.8 Liter V10 engine.

The 2005 expeditions are also delayed for the same reason.

Mark
  • Options
    At the race track display they had a cutaway
    model of the 5.4 & 6.8 engines. The heads
    on these engines are really complex. You
    need machining for the overhead cam lobes,
    the 3 valves,the spark plug,and the
    electronically controlled fuel injector
    ports (8 of them on 4.6&5.4) which are right
    next to the intake valve. Some of these
    pathways are cast in the head, and others
    are machined in after the casting. The
    tolerances have to be quite close given the
    relatively short throws on the valves.
    Plus the 4.6&5.4 have variable cam timing,
    which operates off of a gear inside the
    cam timing chain loop at the end of the shaft. Pretty impressive when you see it
    "sliced open" on the display. Quite a difference from the old flatheads that
    came with the F-100s when they first came out
  • Options
    trucker50trucker50 Member Posts: 108
    Dealer still says they don't expect any '05's till November but I spotted yet another truckload going down the interstate yesterday
  • Options
    "Dealer still says they don't expect any '05's till November but I spotted yet another truckload going down the interstate yesterday "

Perhaps the dealers are hiding them under F150 shaped covers . . .??
    - Ray
    Waiting to see one in person . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    I caught about the last 45 minutes of an hour long show on Discovery Channel last night on the development of Ford's new Mustang to compete in the Grand Am series (road racing). Good story on the development process (including the new 5.0liter DOHC race motor). Lots of in car track video of the old (circa '99) car as well as the new car. Also had a fair amount of in-car track video of what looked to be a production model GT. Show ended with in-car video of Kurt Busch taking the new racecar through its paces.

Show to be re-broadcast this Sunday, Oct. 3, at 2:00 pm.

http://dsc.discovery.com/schedule/episode.jsp?episode=0&cpi=2- 4805&gid=0
  • Options
    mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    Anybody out there sat in an '05 and opened and closed the door, or maybe even drove it? I am wondering how solid the car felt. Unfortunately, I had the use of an '02 GT for a while and I was disappointed that the thing rattled a lot and just didn't seem too well put together. It had less than 20k miles on, but vibrated and creaked more than my Accord with 80k. I truly hope this car is a hit for Ford, and comes with some good workmanship. I think it is pretty sharp and I'd consider one IF it actually seemed like a GOOD car. My fingers are crossed for Ford.
  • Options
    caz_mncaz_mn Member Posts: 3
    I would have to say this is one of the coolest designs I've seen for a car. The best mix of old and new. But have you seen the guages? Wow. The coolest new, but very old look yet. I think I'm going to try and buy one just for the interior.
  • Options
    emmanuelchokeemmanuelchoke Member Posts: 97
    Edmund's has a flattering review of the 05 Mustang. I'm encouraged.
  • Options
    fordnomofordnomo Member Posts: 1
    I can't believe you'd fall for this optical illusion! How naive! This is like the age-old 5 year old assessment of how fast a car is by peering at the speedometer to see how high it goes!

The seat tracks have more travel in the new car which. You saw the car with the drivers' seat all the way back. Because there's more travel, there's more front legroom, if needed. I'm 6'2" and can't reach the pedals with the seat all the way back. There's actually more rear seat legroom than the outgoing Mustang.

And no, the top speed isn't 200 miles per hour.