Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• Options
    esbrockesbrock Member Posts: 88
    I just ordered a GT Premium and the wait is already going to kill me. I'm already looking at some mods but was wondering if you should wait until the "break in" period is over before you start toying with mods. I was planning to add the Steeda CAI unit, the SLP Loudmouth axle-back exhaust, And reflashing the Computer with the STC tool. I wouldn't think that this would be considered major modifications but I thought I should ask first before I start buying all this stuff.
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Congrats.....you're going to love it.

I think it would be hard to get any reasonable performance gains via exhaust mods for no other reason Ford did a good job in opening it up right out of the box. I've heard mixed results regarding STC. So, I think that's up to you whether it would be worth it.

Personally, I'd break it in before doing anything and see where you're at after 3K miles regarding performance.

As it stands, after break in....you'll be at less than 5 secs 0-60 and mid-13s in the 1/4 with no mods. That's pretty damn good without doing anything.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    welcome to the owners' club!! Ain't it great?? I especially love the looks from guys in $50K or higher SUVs and cars that look and point out my car to their passengers! Ain't it sweeeet!!
  • Options
    Yeah....the notice this car gets is pretty incredible. I thought my previous RX8 got looks, stares, thumbs up. That was nothing compared to the attention the Mustang gets.

The Mutang faithful are a strong and loyal lot.

Yesterday, driving home from spending time with family, I even got a thumbs up from guy in a Z28. That's saying something considering how the GM and Ford guys constantly go at it.
  • Options
    Yeah...the Mustang has a huge buzz about it.

I thought the attention my former RX8 got was pretty incredible. The Mustang is off the charts.

So far, I've had a guy in a late model BMW 7 series drive up next to me with his window rolled down and tell me how "hot" he thinks the new Mustang is.

I've had "thumbs up" from a guy in a C5 vette and even more surprising, a guy in a Z28. Considering how the GM camp and the Ford camp go at it, it's pretty amazing.

That doesn't even address those that are driving Celicas, Acura/Honda coupes in the way they react to it. This car seems to capture the attention of all age groups and all enthusiasts, no matter what they are driving.

Some of the comments heard while driving.....

"kewl....sic (I assume that's a good thing).....bad [non-permissible content removed].....and my favorite...will you be mine". That last one from two young 20 something females yelling out of their car at me, a 40ish male, while driving the Mustang.

Kind of makes me blush.
  • Options
    pumpkinfishpumpkinfish Member Posts: 61
    I'd like to echo Graphic Guy's comments about the looks. I picked up my satin silver GT w/IUP this past Saturday. I drove north this Easter up the PA turnpike and I think some necks were broken or at the least severe whiplash...lol! My wife couldn't believe all the looks we were getting and how people would speed up to see it. I saw one guy turn around and take his hands off the wheel to look! It is a funny site seeing the man and woman staring and pointing.

It seems that people know to look for the driving lights in the grill to signify the GT. I saw one guy blatantly look at the grill then smile as he realized what I had. Even the guards at my work get a smile when they hear me pull in ;-) I guess we should enjoy it now as next summer there will most likely be a lot more on the streets. It is a small club that will only be getting larger.
  • Options
    pumpkinfish....yeah....most people strain to see if the "fogs" are on the car signifying the GT.

But, what I've seen recently are people wanting to see the interior. All agree that the standard interior is nice, but they all seem to really like the IUP and all the aluminum.

I'm really liking the seats, too.

Of course, anyone who knows the car also asks for a "My Color" demo of the guages, too.

A guy last night made a comment to me while at Costco that I never thought about. He made a trip from 3 rows over to look at my car. We talked for a bit and he asked me to start it up. Once I did, aside from the great sound of the car, this guy said "I've never heard of a car that catches so quickly when you turn the key".

Never realized it, but it does start immediately when you turn the key.
  • Options
    liveoakieliveoakie Member Posts: 17
    I got a call from the dealer today and he said my car should be in late next week. I am so excited! My first spankin new car( except for a ford ranger a few years ago)!!!! I changed the color from the windveil blue to the sonic blue but I wasn't guaranteed that I called in time.
    guess I'll see. It doesnt really matter to me after seeing both colors around, I like both. Got my driveway done and my garage door opener in now I just gat to make some room!
  • Options
    silvergtsilvergt Member Posts: 3
    Waiting for my silver GT Premium w/ manual transmission, interior upgrade package and interior accent package. Placed the order on Feb. 26--I'll be lucky to get it in May. Anyone out there order one about the same time? I can't get a date from my dealer.
  • Options
    From talking to many others who have ordered, plus my own experience, there are a couple of things you can do to make certain your order gets done in a timely manner. Or, find out if your dealer has any intention of getting your car in a timely manner.

First, Ford dealers haven't had a "hit" of the Mustang's magnitude (and to a lesser extent, the Escape hybrid) in a long, long time. Also understand that dealers, in general, are making more money for cars they can put in their showroom, than ordered cars. I've actually seen customers bidding on a Mustang GT while standing around one in my dealer's showroom. The car ended up selling for $1000 over MSRP after all was said and done.

Here's what you want to do.....

--make certain your dealer had/has allotment for your ordered car. Many have sold out their entire allotment for the '05 model year. They won't get any more until the '06 model. If your dealer has allotment for April, you should be able to get your order in 6-8 weeks. If they don't have allotment for April, but do have some for May, plan on 10-12 weeks from the day you order. Past that, you may as well wait on the '06s which will trickle into dealers in Sept. Many dealers already have their first allotment of '06s sold out.

--also make certain your dealer is ordering with a priority # of 10. That's the highest priority number they can assess to your order to the factory. Priority numbers go all the way up to 99 (which will probably never get built. Some dealers are putting customer priority numbers at 40. That puts you in line behind everything with a higher priority number. Care to guess what priority numbers dealers are giving their Mustang orders for stock Mustnags?

Make certain your dealer gives you the Vehicle Order Confirmation (VOC). That shows all the options you ordered and the price (MSRP and invoice). Plus, it also shows the priority number they assessed to your order. Because it shows MSRP, invoice price and priority number, some dealers don't want you to see it. But, it's your car, you should be allowed to see it.

Ford raised production of the '05 Mustangs by about 35,000-40,000 units, over the original 150,000 estimate of Mustangs to be produced in '05 MY. That should help a bit, but that amounts to only a couple more Mustangs per dealer.

Been through the ordering process and have talked to many others who have been successful and unsuccessful in getting their cars. Kind of know what to look for and what makes for a successful order. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Just got word from my salesguy that the order was put in yesterday. Now the pain of waiting begins. If it's 12 weeks that puts it around mid-June. Oh well, I guess that really isn't too bad.

I want to thank Graphicguy for shaking me back to reality. There really is no reason to add a bunch of performance mods to a car that is going to have more power that I would ever really need. It's not like I'm a street racer or auto-crosser type. I think for now I will just start getting things ready for my new baby, like a new garage door opener. My existing one works only half the time and I don't want to leave her out under the carport.

I know I want to upgrade to 19" wheels and tires when the original tires need to be replaced, and the Saleen suspension and HID headlight kits may be interesting. All three are expensive propositions but maybe worth it as well. Time to start saving.
  • Options
    es...good luck in your "quest". Keep us posted on how things are going......
  • Options
    midget_manmidget_man Member Posts: 1
    I should be getting my '05 Black w/IUP GT in about two weeks & am very excited. This will be my first new car ever bought & first Mustang owned. I was wondering what's a good break-in period for this car. I should be getting it on a Monday and have plans to travel 8hrs round trip the following weekend. I was wondering if driving it on the highway for that long that early would be bad. I was told by a friend that you should keep it under 50mph for the first 500 miles then change the oil & it should be fine. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    Owners manual says to vary speeds and not brake hard for the first 1,000 miles. That's it.

I'd stay off the cruise control. Vary your speeds on the highway by 10 MPH every 15-30 minutes or so. Don't lay into the brakes.

Personally, most of my driving has been in the city. By definition, I'm varying speeds and RPMs. I've thrown in a couple of highway runs, whether I have to or not.

Probably do some redline runs every once in a while, too.

That's about it. Today's engines are manufactured with such precision, it's hard to really "break" one. Matter of fact, just normal everyday driving should do it for break-in periods.

I WOULD keep an eye on the oil level at every fill-up for the first 500 miles, though.
  • Options
    carfreak189carfreak189 Member Posts: 31
    We went to a dealer on saturday to look at one they didnt have the 1 we would want but said in a week an auto V6 coupe would come in. They also said they could only get 8 more all year. I know that theres avalibilty problems but does anyone know of a dealer that has a lot more and possibly GTs. We live in northern New jersey basically are range for the dealer is wide. I would say the net idea is between Philly-NYC but we would travel as far as baltimore or Boston if the dealer was very large and we could get the exact one we want. We would not want to do this but if theres a dealer within 300 miles that guarntees the car we want we would go that far.
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Your local dealer can do a search of every dealer in the area based on your criteria (color, options, etc.).
  • Options
    I have been kicking around the idea of adding the OEM stipes to my GT. I feel at certain angles, the hood looks big and bare. I have yet to hear/see anyone with them except for the eBay photos of guys selling the non-durable calendered vinyl. What do you guys think?

I like the photo on the brochure, but I think a color like yellow looks a lot better with them and on the Shelby it is a requirement to have the stripes. So for a silver GT, would it look good with white or metallic charcoal grey stripes? I am so undecided.

Also, anyone blackout the panel between the rear taillights? If so, did you use vinyl or the Xenon plastic piece?
  • Options
    john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    Silver Mustangs look fantastic with black striping IMO. White would look odd with silver, I'd say...

I added OEM rocker panel striping (the classic "Mustang" ones) in white to my True Blue '02 GT and I really like 'em. Contrasting colors are the way to go...
  • Options
    Stripe to your heart's content. GT stripe painter:

http://www.spectrummarcom.com/mustang/stripePainter.html

New Shelby GT500 stripe painter:

http://www.spectrummarcom.com/mustang/cobraPainter.html

My personal favorite is yellow with grey or silver stripes, although I'm not sure I could actually own one.
  • Options
    benderofbowsbenderofbows Member Posts: 542
    Pumkinfish,

I bought several vinyl decals for my fiancee's 2001 Mustang (including a hood decal) off of eBay and have found them to be very durable. One has been on over a year, the other about 8 months. They look great, just like her factory side decals, and have stayed like new.
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Check out the Shelby in White w/ sonic blue stripes...
  • Options
    exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Did not have the aluminum interrior. I hear on this forum that that is a BIG draw for owners. They have the ringed gauges, but the lack on allumium on the dash does seem a little odd.

What do you guys think. Does anyone know if there is an option for the alluminum trim on the SVT/Shelby?

Seems like an error to me. This car is such a huge success, i hope demand remains so strong. G-D knows Ford needs it right now. Anyone saw the stock price recently?

TY for any respons to the interrior trim question.
  • Options
    It could always change, but what you see is what you get. I'm sure there will be dash accent packages available aftermarket.
  • Options
    exalteddragon:

I am one of the people that actually prefer the black interior. I think it's sportier without all the fake aluminum bits. Now I say this but I still ordered the IUP option. The main reason was I thought the My Color feature was way cool and I liked the extra gauges and trip computer. What can I say, I'm a electronics junkie.
  • Options
    Shelby won't have an aluminum dash, but will have an all leather dash....including the top of the dash. While I think that will be really cool, I can't imagine how that will hold up to being out in the sun. My guess is, it would start to "crack" in pretty short order with the top of the dash being all leather.

And yes, I really like the aluminum dash in mine.
  • Options
    tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    ...all the fake aluminum bits. ...

Just a heads up. The aluminum "bits" are NOT fake.
  • Options
    True....they are real aluminum on the dash. I've seen the "fake" aluminum that's just silver paint on plastic (like you see on the GTO).
  • Options
    I have always liked white cars w/blue stripes and bright red w/silver stripes. :P

I honestly like the dash with the aluminum. It looks retro with the rest of the car (well except for the lack of a ducktail :confuse: ). I agree with the comment about the leather dash on the Shelby. Then again I don't think majority of Shelby owners will be using them as daily drivers and have them out in the streets (I know I wouldn't).
  • Options
    canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Hi everyone. We'll probably be in the market at the end of model year for a V6 Premium with anti-lock and traction control when Ford might offer better financing. I know the V8 won't see any financing deals this year. I'm posting because there has only been one response to the mpg question. I would like to hear more, especially from V6 owners. It's gonna be difficult letting go of my '99 Accord that averages over 30mpg, but the wifey and I sure think the Mustang is a worthy replacement, especially since we can get good $$$$ for the Honda.
  • Options
    Edmonds has emoticons now?? :surprise: Oh joy! :blush:
  • Options
    Personally, I wouldn't hold my breath for Ford to have any sort of "special financing" for '05 Mustangs. They are offering some 4.9 and 5.9 rates, but those are easy to beat at your local credit unions or on-line auto loan places.

Can't really give you any feedback on MPG with the V6. I got 18 MPG on my first tankful with the GT....all city. I'm expecting low-mid 20s MPG for highway driving. I'm pleased with that, particularly given it's not broken in yet.

I have to believe the V6 will be better.

Bottom line, don't expect the V6 Mustang to get 30 MPG. You might get close on the highway.....maybe 26-27 MPG?

Also understand that your Honda has a 4 cyl engine whereas the Mustang is a 6 cyl with more power.
  • Options
    If you're worried about mileage, stick with the Honda.

If you want the Mustang, get it and don't worry about the mileage.
  • Options
    mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    HEY check out the recent Mustang victory in the Edmunds test
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/MultimediaLanding?mktcat=insideline&kw=HTML&mktid=NL9- 90347&DARTmail

This car has really gotten alot of praise but sometimes the automotive press seems so anti-Detroit that I savor every bit of praise.

As for placing your order. The IUP option code 18G is limited availability. Ford also added the Interior Sport Appearance Package (18 R) to help

INTERI0R UPGRADE PACKAGE (18G)
    Availability:
    • Optional on all V6 and GT arrays
    Includes:
    • Satin aluminum finish instrument panel appliqué– ribbed
    pattern
    • Leather-wrapped steering wheel with satin aluminum
    spokes
    • Satin aluminum-plated shift lever with automatic
    transmission
    • Bright polished register rings and leather-wrapped sport
    shift knob for manual transmission
    • Satin aluminum-plated door handles
    • Special new bright polished six-gauge cluster with
    MyColor feature and message center
    • Satin aluminum door sill scuff plate with bright
    MUSTANG lettering insert
    • Dark Charcoal Aberdeen pattern front door panel inserts

INTERIOR SPORT APPEARANCE PACKAGE
    (18R)
    Availability:
    Includes:
    • Leather-wrapped steering wheel with satin aluminum
    spokes
    • Satin aluminum-plated shifter lever with automatic
    transmission or leather-wrapped sport shift knob with
    manual transmission

INTERIOR COLOR ACCENT PACKAGE (68R)
    Availability:
    Includes:
    • Dark Charcoal interior environment with Dark Charcoal
    carpet
    • Red sport bucket leather front and rear seating surfaces
    with red front door trim inserts and red floor mats
    NOTE: Requires 18G Interior Upgrade Pkg. and KR
    Interior Trim Code

If you are looking for a Mustang to buy, visit this site
    http://www4.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/default.jsp and hit search inventory.

You will still have to call the dealer to verify that the car is actually on the ground at the dealer and not on a truck in Sheboygan.

Mark
  • Options
    I'm glad that the trim rings on the dash are real aluminum, thanks for the info taylord. What I was really referring to though was the inserts on the steering wheel and the silver painted stuff. I'm not saying that it's ugly or anything like that. I just prefer the look of the base interior.
  • Options
    That's what I was referring to as well. The trim rings aren't aluminum that I know of. Everything else is, including the trim on the steering wheel spokes. I had posted on this before that I was surprised that Ford didn't "cheap out" and use painted plastic, but instead used actual aluminum pieces.

There are no silver "painted" pieces; it's all aluminum except the chrome painted vent rings and instrument cluster rings.

Oh, I believe the vent doors are painted plastic, but I'll have to verify. Outside of that, it's all aluminum, baby! :shades:
  • Options
    jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    Received my latest MT mag yesterday and what was on the cover, the Shelby GT500. :shades:

Haven't really read the article but skimming over it and the rest of the mag the article stated the hood will change slightly, most likely in the extractor area.

Not sure if they'll make it more like the 68 or what, but there were also pics of the 69-70 GT500 and the blue 68 that on the stangnet and the other sites discussing the car. Also a quick blurb of the convertible.

What was kind of funny was a blurb about the next GTO being built off the Zeta platform seeing as though the platform is dead and the car probably is too. :sick: Had a couple of really bad illustrations too, very kid-like. But the title said the car would be a competitor to the Mustang. Though I know the mag are completed and the mag is put together long before it gets to me or hits the newsstands it was still kind of funny reading it. Wonder if in next month's mag they'll have something discussing the end of the platform and retraction of the statement.
  • Options
    Cool issue....I've seen it on another forum, but haven't received mine, yet.

Regarding the GTO....my guess is they will have a retractment in the next issue since this issue went to press before GM announced Zeta's demise.

There are even strong rumors running around stating the '05 will be the last year for the GTO.....not even an '06 because of poor sales.
  • Options
    Ouch. :cry:

Maybe an *all new* Camaro or Firebird would be received better by the public. After seeing the Charger, I am hoping Mopar leaves the Cuda and Challenger name plates alone. I just have this bad feeling that with the success of the '05 Stang, we may see the other companies scramble and try to cash in. Just look at the Ram Daytona (sigh) :confuse:
  • Options
    Chrysler is on a roll right now with the "hemi" along with the success of the 300C. They've had their share of "duds", too. Most of those duds have come from the Daimler side of the business......look no further than the Crossfire.

Chrysler put a beautiful body on an aging Mercedes platform. Result? Sales disaster.

I'm not so certain about the upcoming Charger. What looks good as a "quasi-waggon" (the Magnum) probably won't be the sales hit they are expecting. I could be wrong, though.

Retro is a fine line for automotive design. The Mustang looks good with some retro styling cues. But, it's a modern interpretation of Mustangs past. PT Cruiser isn't a modern interpretation. There's no place for it to go (although it has sold well for Chrysler). Just looking at the upcoming GT500 Shelby, it's going to be a slam dunk hit for Ford. But, Ford used a good platform to begin with by building it on a loosely modified Lincoln LS platform.

GM is in a whole lot of debacle. They killed the F-bodies (rightfully so). Then foisted the GTO on the public. It is based on a mediocre (and long outdated) platform to begin with (the Catera). They styled it like any of a number of other Pontiacs (big mistake) that the public wasn't fond of to begin with. They priced it too high at $33K while the Mustang GT with similar performance could be had for roughly $5K less (and better looking to boot). The sales numbers don't lie.

I had looked seriously at both the GTO and the Mustang GT. Price differences aside, I still picked the Mustang. I preferred the Mustang even though it is hard to get (I had to order mine) and I had to wait for it. I still would have chosen the Mustang if the price of the GTO was identical to it. Mustang's steering is better, the brakes are better, the shifter/clutch is better...I could go on and on about the look and feel of the Mutang's aluminum interior, bigger trunk, etc....but I think the public has made its choice quite clear.

Now, the General has killed the one car that could compete with the Mustang (the GTO) and there's talk that the '05 model year may be the last for the GTO. That just goes to show, there's more to a car than just horsepower. A Camaro/Firebird is nowhere remotely on the horizon.

I think that's a shame. GM has come across looking like it put a half assed effort with the GTO. Now Ford has the market segment to itself (at least until the verdict is in on the Charger).

Competition is good. It's just a matter of GM making a choice not to be competetive in a market it once dominated.
  • Options
    My dad test drove it today and it was perfect. They only had a convertible at the dealer and the one comming in was not the one we wanted. We Ordered it today fully customized to what we want, and the color we wanted. The local dealer Elmwood Ford was great and we got an excellent deal. The car gets delivered in 6-8 weeks but are 2000 Malibu is doing fine and we can wait that long no problem. :)
  • Options
    It better be a V6 if you really want to see it in 6-8 weeks.
  • Options
    My guess is that convertible V6s are 6-8 weeks out for an order, but the GT's are pretty much in very short supply for coupes and convertibles for the rest of the '05 model year.
  • Options
    Yes, it is a V6.
  • Options
    Most people associate midlife crisis with a sports car. For my dad its been quite the opposite, he never needed a family sedan to begin with. So in 1995 at age 37 he got rid of his "Pocket Rocket" Toyota celica for a Ford contour that car was a bridge for the chevy Malibu in 2000. That was midlife crisis thinking he needs a family sedan when he never needed one. Finally he realized that and at age 47 got a Ford Mustang and in my opinion his midlife crisis ended. For the 2010 and beyond it will be back to sport cars, rightfully so.
  • Options
    johngaltjohngalt Member Posts: 5
    I have a Mustang GT Vert and I love it, but it would be on the trade block in a minute if there was a GOOD Camaro/Firebird reminiscent of the late 60's with similar performance to the '05 Mustang (power/milage on 87 gas).

My Mustang would be a memory. I'd order the Firebird at sticker and put up with delays if there were any. Maybe I'm a minority - but I think such a car would be a SURE THING for GM. Those cars were the greatest looking bodies in muscle car history I think.

But it's fine because I love my Stang! I just think it goes to show what is possible if you bring back a classic and do it RIGHT.

The GTO and Charger don't have me booking out my trade if you know what I mean...
  • Options
    xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    Two Mustangs went 1-2 in this seasons first Grand-Am Cup race. A new Mustang won another race (the California 200) on Saturday, 4-2-05.

pictures from the California 200

Pontiac will race two GTOs in the Grand American Rolex Sports Car Series by mid season.

Sales of the new GTO have improved since it went on the market. It has more larger, more poweful brakes along with a new power steering pump, a 400 hp LS2, and some other changes for 2005. Here is the 05 GTO.

• Options
    Nice post....nice pics.....

Got a chance to finally detail my Mustang for the first time yesterday with nice weather on tap. That always allows for a good inspection for any car. Everything from the quality of the paint job to the thoughtfullness of the ergonomics to the obvious engineering that has been done on this car shows that Ford did their homework well. That doesn't begin to comment on the obvious strong performance of this car (at least in GT form). As good as the exterior looks, the interior is very nice (mine has the Interior Upgrade Package). Body panels all like up with a nice tight fit. Paint is even and very glossy. Interior fits are great and the fit finish is very nice inside.

It's a great time to be a Mustang fan.

Conversely, GM has shot an airball (too much March Madness) with the GTO. That's truly a shame. If they had done one right and was competitive in the marketplace, the muscle coupe car wars would rage on. Don't know about other parts of the country, but the '05 GTOs aren't selling any better than the '04s did around here. Most dealers have stock, in every color, which has been languishing for up to 2 months on the '05 GTO. Some still have new '04s sitting on the lots. For the GTO hopeful, perhaps more rebates are on the horizon.

Having looked closely, and test driven both the Mustang GT and the GTO before ordering my Mustang, a few things stuck me immediately. First, the Mustang handles, brakes, shifts and steers better than the GTO. Performance of the Mustang GT and either the '04 or '05 GTO are so close to dead even in real world driving as to be a non-issue. Styling, hands down goes to the Mustang (and by what the marketplace has responded to). Then there's the price disparity. Even being able to buy the GTO at GM's employee discount and the Mustang with Ford's friends and family discount, the price of the GTO was still about $5K more than the Mustang GT (all loaded up). Add to that, the obvious hit resale value will be given the '04 GTO's heavy rebates (and the '05s inevitible rebates), my purchase decision was quite clear. As an aside, I think my decision of the GTO's longevity was right. GM won't make an '07 GTO and even the '06 MY GTO is at risk of not being built due to it's poor showing in the marketplace.

Again, that's a shame. I wish GM would have done better.

As it stands, Ford is alone for right now in the Muscle car space. I don't know that there will be much "cross shopping" of the upcoming Charger since it's not a coupe and will only available with an automatic.
  • Options
    gunitgunit Member Posts: 469
    Interesting you are right, there is more to a car then just horespower... why does the new mustang still use an OUTDATED Solid rear axle setup? Also the Mustang is NOT entirely new, it rides on a nearly 6 yr old chassis from '00 Lincoln LS.

Actually according to Car and Driver the steering and brakes are BETTER on the GTO then Mustang in their January 2005 Article. C&D showed the GTO beating the Mustang in every performance category, LOL! Car and Driver and Consumer Reports said the GTO had one of GM's best interiors and seats. The only reason the Mustang won the comparison was because it scored more points in the got to have it factor. Which was BS.

The Backseat is larger on the GTO then Mustang, 41 cu ft vs 31 cu ft, according to C&D. Which for me made a big dif, with using a childs car seat, much easier to safely fit.

Sales do not indicate that one car is better the another. Esp. since GM can ONLY bring a max of 18,000 GTO here for the 3yr contract of 2004 to 2006. They can't sell anymore then that. Remember the Holden Monaro is a VERY GOOD selling car in Austrailia. It only came out in late 2001 in coupe form, very good chassis just like the Mustangs is.

I did NOT pay $33k for my GTO, try about $30k even. Which is what a fully loaded Mustang would nearly cost! I got 100 more hp and a corvette drivetrain.

One more thing, INSURANCE in my case is cheaper on the GTO then Mustang by about $100 per year, !

Both car are VERY GOOD, Mustang or GTO... Just preferences I guess!
  • Options
    First, the solid axle is FAR from outdated - it's the most sophisticated ever put in a production car - more kin to what you'd find in a purpose built race car. It doesn't seem to hurt the Grand Am race cars. It's not what you start with - it's how you implement it. Most test drivers say they can't tell it's not IRS from a handling perspective.

Second, the mustang chassis IS all new - they started with the LS platform but only kept the floor pan and fuel tank.

Not arguing about which car is better - just trying to set the facts straight.

And saying the GTO has one of GM's best interiors is not saying very much.
  • Options
    xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    The new Mustang's chassis only shares the floor pan with the Lincoln LS.

Here is the new Mustang's chassis.

great info and pics of 2005 Mustang

GM interiors are improving over what they replace.