Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Solara Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• buster6buster6 Member Posts: 134
    I am looking for an 06, was at 2 dealerships--the first offered 3k over msrp--no negotiation, then went to a volume dealer and was offered 1500 over invoice--but the car will have to be ordered or dealer traded with up to a 6 week wait. Is that a decent deal? msrp was about 32500 with a sales price of 30500 ($2,000 off sticker).
  • natenj1971natenj1971 Member Posts: 174
    Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a 2005/06 Solara Se or Se Sport 2.4 with 5 speed. While I am waiting to hear what the insurance will be I would like to find a reputable dealer. I live in Northern NJ and there are a few local dealers but some feedback would be appreciated.

Also - any opinions about options or the car in general area appreciated. I drive a 2001 Accord Coupe EX V6 with 34k on it and the Solara seems to have most of the same standard equiptment (and more).

Thanks for any information.

Nate
  • otownbabeotownbabe Member Posts: 1
    I bought my '04 Solara new off the floor. No problems on the purchase, but the repair shop is the worst I've ever encountered. They do horrible work, forcing me to contact my insurance agent, who recommended that I bring my car to David Maus Toyota, have them do the work, and they'll bill Toyota of Orlando. So that's what I did. The body shop manager from TO actually told me to just "live with the problem". On a $22,000 new car? I don't think so! Now they have to eat the cost of the rental plus the cost to repaint my entire car, since they did poor work the first time around.
  • pedrorlopezpedrorlopez Member Posts: 1
    I get a deal from toyota of hollywood in a 2005 solara se , sunroof , leather seat , back spoiler for 349 a month, tax include . with 1000 dollars down. that include the first payment. this is a lease. the price for the car was 22250. is this a good deal ?
  • scottshivscottshiv Member Posts: 2
    What are the differences between the 2005 and 2006 SLE - V6?
  • kellykkellyk Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    I paid $26500 before tax on '06 SLE V6.
    It's with all options possible except navigation and convertible.
    Is this good price? I bought it without research.
  • therose400therose400 Member Posts: 20
    Can anyone tell me what the ADM on the Solara's mean? A Ft. Lauderdale dealer has this charge of $1,995 on the window sticker and told me every dealer charges it but wouldn't explain what it was!! It was on an '06 Solara SE. I want to buy an '05 and want to know if it's applicable to that year also. :confuse:
  • stevehollysteveholly Member Posts: 26
    If it's an extra line (not on the factory sticker) then sounds like, "Added Dealer Markup"
    A not-so-subtle way to charge more for an in-demand car...
  • gokadengokaden Member Posts: 28
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any prices for an '05 Solara SE Sport Auto with Leather in Baltimore? I'd like to get some prices so I can submit online quotes in the Baltimore area.

Thanks!
  • coopdavecoopdave Member Posts: 2
    "a58" Which dealership did you get your car from? I'm in north west Tampa.

The wife and I have pretty much decided on the 06 SLE convertible, but we still need to drive one before we take the plunge. One of the salesman we've been dealing with has told us that the closest car sitting on a dealer lot is in Key West.
    I'm not sure I quite believe him.
  • fangyifangyi Member Posts: 11
    I am going to buy 2006 SE V6 Styles in July or Auguest in Cincinnati, OH. How much should I pay for it (without any option, invoice: $19,539)? Is it a good deal if I pay $200 over the invoice?
    I appreicate your help.

Mark
    mliang36@yahoo.com
    I am going to buy 2006 SE V6 Styles in July or Augues. How much should I pay for it without any options(inovice:$19539). Is it a good deal if I pay $200 over inoice?
    Appreciate your help
    Mark
    Cincinnati OH
    Please share your experience on SLE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A). There are a lot of discussions on SLE V6, but not much on 4cyl. Thanks.
    I paid total $23,441 for 2006 Toyota Solara SLE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 5A) last Friday, no options added but floormate ($117)included. But I have to wait for about 6 weeks to get it from factory.
  • mark59mark59 Member Posts: 1
    In the Maryland area, what would folks say is a fair price with the GY, NV, RF, and VS options (Includes front and rear side curtain airbags; touch-screen DVD navigation system with JBL® AM/FM CD with XM Satellite Radio capability, 270 watts (maximum output) and FM diversity reception; rear spoiler, Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) with Traction Control and Brake Assist)
  • adam10adam10 Member Posts: 7
    Difficult to get much off the MSRP here in St. Louis this time of year. Did get $1,000 off by buying just before they order their cars at the middle of the month. They had a Black/tan top on the lot for 2 weeks that didn't sell (asking MSRP+), and couldn't order another untill that that one was sold. So I got it for $30,500, and 1/2 price on a remote starter in the future. The Avalon can be bought with a remote starter, does anyone know if that same system fits the Solara? Even the toyota dealer didn't know.
  • annejoe1668annejoe1668 Member Posts: 9
    After doing all my homework and ready to go for a manual 4 cyc, SE Sport, then find out from 5 diff dealerships that they have NEVER seen any manual in 2005 or 2006. Kind of disappointed. So try to find out whether any one of you have seen a 5sp manual out there, or even own one yourself? I am in CA.

Thanks.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    At least here in the New York Region, I've never seen a 5sp sport model close by. Hope you have some luck.

Ken
  • annejoe1668annejoe1668 Member Posts: 9
    Toyotaken,

Thanks for your input. I actually found one this evening. They are asking for invoice. Since it's a 05 model, I can also get $1,000 rebate. I guess that's not a bad deal.

Thanks again.
    :)
  • alan_dalan_d Member Posts: 13
    Re 2006 vs 2005 SLE-V6 differences, according to yahoo.autos.com:

Minor upgrades accompany the Toyota Camry Solara into the 2006 model year. All Camry Solaras have power lumbar support for the driver this year, and convertibles get new "donut-style" rear headrests that improve visibility whether the top is raised or lowered. Solara SLE models receive new wood trim for the interior that replaces the reddish tint of the previous decor with a lighter-colored brown hue.
    Date Posted
    05/13/2005 Smooth as silk by jerry
    Style: SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A) Rating 9.6

Review: I suppose the Solara has love it or hate it styling, at first I thought it looked a bit odd in the rear, but have gotten used to it and think it's quite nice looking. Gas mileage is amazing for such a roomy car, I average 30 mpg, and I sit in the worst traffic L.A. has to offer. Interior is arty, beautiful. I have the Lexus Pearlescent white paint option and spoiler, otherwise it's the base model. Lots o' features, including on board computer. Everyone has the impression I bought an expensive luxury car, so I'd say I got my money's worth. Paid under 19,000 for it brand spankin' new, and it looks and feels much more pricey.
  • sle1sle1 Member Posts: 2
    I just got my red one Friday with Nav system and Stability Control and carpet mats for $30,839 at Safro in Milwaukee. $1,786 off of sticker. Very quiet and smooth. A little cowl shake but no big deal. When I test drove it the tires had 39 lbs. so I droped it to 32 where it's suppose to be and it made a big difference it the ride quality.
  • njexpressnjexpress Member Posts: 170
    ADM = Additional Dealer Markup :mad: . I would step away from that dealership if I were you. This basically means that no matter what amount you are paying over invoice and closer to the sticker, they still want to charge you 2K more!
    There are plenty of dealers out there that I am sure, when negotiated right, will sell you a car for a fair profit margin. I am sure you know that as long as you do your research thorougly and shop around, you can get a decent deal. :D
    Best of Luck!
    --njexpress
    I just picked up the same car as yours (VS NV Z1 options) except without wheel locks. MSRP is $32,633. I paid $29,700. However, I used a car bidding service (carbargains.com) to whom I paid $190. So my total cost including the $190 was just about the same as yours.

The $29,700 is the dealer invoice as reported in, say, Edmunds, plus the advertising allowance that the dealer must pay to his/her local Toyota marketing group. Note that the invoice reported by Edmunds includes holdbacks, which the dealer gets from Toyota. According to carbargains these holdbacks were 3% of the base MSRP of the vehicle. So the dealer is still getting almost $1000 above his/her cost.
    I forgot to mention that the 2006 Solara had 470 (I hope carefully driven) miles on it when I picked it up.
    You may well have bought your car already. If not, I hope these comments help.

I believe $200 over your $19,539 invoice price would be a very good deal. Here is my understanding of what the dealer has to pay for that car, at least in Buffalo, NY. My guess is that Cincinnati would be similar.

Nominal dealer invoice before Destination Charge: $19,539
    plus Destination Charge $540
    plus Advertising Fees $500
    minus Holdbacks and Dealer Incentives: 3% of base MSRP or $651

Total: $19,928

So if my figures are correct a price of $19,739 ($200 + $19,539) is less than the dealer’s real cost.

Let me know what you did pay.
    Original message:

I am going to buy 2006 SE V6 Styles in July or Augues. How much should I pay for it without any options(inovice:$19539). Is it a good deal if I pay $200 over inoice?
    Appreciate your help
  • mstree01mstree01 Member Posts: 4
    Bought through carsidrect.com--picked up at Fremont (CA) Toyota. Took some time to get the color I wanted (cosmic blue metallic). Paid $ 27,411.00 (before tax, lic, etc.), included wheel locks, spoiler, glass breakage sensor, nav, traction control, side airbags, floormats.

Anybody have experience with extended protection/warranty plans? I've been looking at a policy through Old Republic (mbadirect.com) that my credit union recommends.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    Personal recomendation is not to use any program that is not manufacturer backed. There are too many horror stories about companies going out of business or customer service being bad or not covering what should be covered.

Just my suggestion.

Ken
  • jensattjensatt Member Posts: 2
    I have been trying to find a convertible in Southern New Jersey region, no one has them..and they aren't really willing to work with you because of the demand...any advice?
  • tklein2tklein2 Member Posts: 3
    I was just wondering what state and city you bought yours in?? What dealership?? Thanks!!!!
    I bought the car at Basil Toyota in Lockport, NY. Lockport is about 20 miles NE of Buffalo.
  • lynn10lynn10 Member Posts: 4
    I am buying a car for my 17year old son. We found a 2000 Solera SE V6 with ABS, front airbags, alloy wheels, power seats, power mirrors and has 70,000 miles for $11,500. I may have to pay somehting for a warranty, but that has not been fully negotiated yet. Does this sound like an ok, SAFE car?
    thanks, Lynn
  • lourubylouruby Member Posts: 2
    HI,
    HOPE YOU ARE ENJOYING THE CAR. MY WIFE THINKS THE 4 CYL IS NOT ENOUGH POWER. MY TEST DRV OF THE 4 WAS GOOD FOR ME. WHAT IS YOUR EXPERIENCE?
    IS THE "ONBOARD COMPUTER" THE NAV SYSTEM, IF NOT WAS IT AN EXTRA OPTION. WHICH DEALERSHIP DID YOU BUY FROM? WE ARE IN SOLVANG. THANKS
    LOURUBY
  • lourubylouruby Member Posts: 2
    MADE THE DECISION TO BUY NEW 06 SLE WITH LEATHER PKG, FRNT-RR SIDE CURTAIN A/B, SPOILER, CARP/CARG NET. LOMPOC DLR QUOTED $23437 INVOICE ON 4 CYL, AND SELL FOR 23,800.

I WAS VERY HAPPY ON TEST DRV OF THE 4, SURE FELT IT HAD PLENTY OF POWER AND MOUNTAIN DRIVING IS NOT IN THIS CARS FUTURE.
    ANYBODY WITH EXPERIENCE. THE OTHER ITEM IS THE HIGHER COST OF FUEL WITH THE V6.
  • reuel3reuel3 Member Posts: 114
    Please do not type in ALL CAPS as it makes your post difficult to read and is the message board equivalent of yelling. Thanks!
  • debbiehazedebbiehaze Member Posts: 8
    Our son is going out of the country for a year and we've decided to take over payments on the car he bought a few months ago to help him. So... we will be selling our 2004 SLE convertible. Silver, no dents, very clean, serviced regularly with tire rotations and < 17,000 miles. This site shows $24,217 and Blue Book shows $24,700. Should we be able to sell it ourselves for something in this range here in NW Arkansas?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    If you post the details about the vehicle you want to sell over in our Real World Trade-In Values discussion, some of the experts can tell you what to expect.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Toyota Solara. Thanks.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
  • toyotatoystoyotatoys Member Posts: 118
    I am in the Houston area and looking for a 4 cyl SE without anything else in it. Does anybody have a good buying experience in any of the Houston dealerships that you can share with me? Most of the quotes I got were still $500-800 over invoice.Thanks.

Toyotatoys
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ..I drove a 2000 SE-V6 Solara 5M off the showroom floor 5/2000. After 80k on the odometer, I would say it's a safe car. But if your 17-year old drives like I did when I was 17..............................good luck.

best, ez..........
  • rickschreiber2rickschreiber2 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy the 2006 solara convertable SLE in Florida and have been negotiating with one dealer. The dealer emailed me a copy of their invoice, which was about $550 higher than what Edmunds and other sites say it is. The best price I've been offered so far is $1000 over their invoice plus $599 for "dealer fees", which I've noticed at other toyota dealerships as well. This puts the price at about $1600 ove the car buying sites invoice price.
    1) Why would their invoice be $550 higher than car sites?
    2) What are "dealer fees?" It seems bogus, are they negotiable?
    3) What's a fair amount to pay over invoice or under sticker for this model.

If anyone can answer these questions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    1) All Toyotas in Florida go through a distributor.... They often have add-ons that Toyotas in other parts of the country don't...

2) Dealer fees are just a way to add profit... Consider them part of the price.. It doesn't really matter how they break it down... The price you pay is what is important..

3) I don't have a handle on Solara convertible prices... But, $1600 over invoice doesn't seem out of bounds for a new and fairly popular model.. You should probably shop around (it looks like you have).. You can always offer less to the dealer that made the best offer..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

You asked about (1) the difference in the invoice price your dealer claimed and the price shown on Edmundsand (2) what's a fair price to pay over invoice for a 2006 SLE convertible.

The invoice price my dealer showed me was $500 higher than Edmunds. Supposedly, the $500 was some sort of an advertising fee charged to the dealer by the regional Toyota marketing group. There were no "dealer fees" added.

I paid dealer invoice and had quotes from other dealers ranging from $450 to $1000 over invoice. I used a car bidding service, which charged me $190, to obtain these bids.

The quotes I received seemed surprisingly low to me, given what I've heard about how popular this car is. However, at least one other forum member paid a price similar to what I paid. See my earlier message (#136) for a bit more detail.

Hope this helps.
  • topredtopred Member Posts: 1
    In August I purchased a 2006 SLE V6 Convertible 5-Speed Automatic in Lunar Mist Metallic from Mike Calvert Toyota in Houston, Tx., with the following options:

1. Park Pilot
    2. Vehicle Sealant Package
    3. LoJack
    4. The Extra Mile Option Package D: Color Keyed Door Edge Guards, Fabric Guard, Custom Tape Stripe, First Aid Kit, Wheel Locks, Mud Guards, Carpet Mat Set (5 Pc), Glass Break Sensor, Carpet Floor Mats, Rear Trunk Mat, Road Hazard Tire Warranty, Roadside Assistance - No Charge, Extra Mile Extended Life Tires - (6 Years / 100,000 Miles)
    5. Extended Warranty (5 years / 60,000 miles) - Mainly to cover convertible top & mechanism
    6. Portable Ashtray (Though it won't be smoked in!)
    7. Premium License Plate Frame - Chrome

I paid $32,712 drive out (TT&L included in price.)

I felt kind of good about the deal until I started reading this forum. But then I always think I paid too much after the fact. It's a competitive thing I think.
  • jerryijerryi Member Posts: 5
    I'm also looking in Florida, which dealer were you talking to?

Thanks
  • grandesalinegrandesaline Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car man - It's been quite an education reading your posts and learning about leasing!! Very happy with the 2005 ES330 lease I negotiated a few months ago. However, I'm not doing so well with my attempt for our second car - the solara convertible. I live in southwest FL. I've contacted 4 of the closest dealers and I can not get any of them to move off MSRP. Is there any reason I couldn't negotiate a lease with a dealer outside of the Southeast Toyota network ? I don't recall seeing anything written about a lease with a dealer who is located outside my home state.
    Also, could you give me the current residual and money factor for 3yr, 12k. Thanks.
  • raytheaterraytheater Member Posts: 2
    Hello...
    I am thinking about buying an '05 SE Sport V6 from a dealership in St Louis. The car comes with the power moonroof, and the JBL premium sound and I was wondering if $21,495 before negotiation is a good deal?
    Thanks

PS. This is my new car since my used '96 Corolla...I am totally excited about this car. :D
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi grandesaline. I'm glad that you have enjoyed reading my posts so much :blush: . I have never heard of anyone who lives in Southeast Toyota territory going outside of it to lease a new vehicle because they are so fed up with SET dealers (like I very likely would be), but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do so. Unfortunately, SE Toyota dealers do not run leases through Toyota Financial Services, like other Toyota dealers do. SE Toyota has its own finance company that they use and I have not seen its current lease program for the car that you are interested in. Sorry that I could not be of more help.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
  • raytheaterraytheater Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 04 SE Sport, V6, Pwr moonroof, JBL premium sound for $18000. It has only 16k miles on it and has almost no scratch on it. I'm glad that I went with the SE Sport because I felt the other trim's ride was a little too mushy. The V6 is smooth and when needed, can deliver the power. A great leap from my old 96 corolla, which is a great little car because it has never seen the inside of a mechanic's shop. I hope this Solara can be as good mechanically!
This discussion has been closed.