Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda B Series

Comments

• nebula30nebula30 Member Posts: 20
  • nebula30nebula30 Member Posts: 20
    Pinging noise.^^......sorry G was sticking.....should have used spell ck......lmao
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Mazda service bulletin 01-017/00 addresses your concern(not the cash flow, the pinging). Check with your local dealer and get it fixed under warranty.

:)
  • lee1959lee1959 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am new to the site but looks like good info so maybe someone can help me with my awful engine pinging really bad. I have 40000 miles still under warranty but dealer keeps telling me there is no problem. Also I have my tires rotated but both front tires now make a hum noise dealer said my tires are cupped (uneven ware)
    thanks for your help
  • tacoma_trdtacoma_trd Member Posts: 135
    Hi Lee, welcome aboard. I also own a 98 B2500 with about 27k miles on it. I have experience the engine pinging and lots of people who own a ranger/b-series with the 2.5 inline 4 or the 3.0 V6 has this problem. What ocatne fuel are you running? It is usually fixed by running higher octane fuel. If 89 doesnt work then the 93 should. I have also experienced the cupped wearing of my tires. I have Firestone Wildnerness HT's and I hate them. My rear tires are worn in the center and the outside has more tread. I have never rotated my tires cause it would look funny since my front tires are worn rounded because of turning. I just plan on getting new tires and rotating them often.
  • lee1959lee1959 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for your insights I have been using low octane but just today went to higher octane. I also have wilderness HT tires makes me sick that I need to buy new tires when I have 75percent of my tread left but they wont be wilderness.. smile
    well I will have the truck in the shop tomorrow for new front brakes. Looked at the 2001 b2500 and 3000 the dealer pushing the v6 but gas mileage a bit worse.. thks again
    Lee,
    If you are looking at 2001s, hold out for the new B2300. Mileage should be the same as the B25, but the horsepower goes up from 119 to 140. It's a new dual overhead cam engine that should be pretty nice. I have mine on order, but I won't see it until the end of April. Otherwise, the B2300 should be hitting dealers during March.
  • dannygdannyg Member Posts: 131
    I'm holding out for the 2.3L as well, I'll be test-driving it in the spring (to replace my old Ranger V6 4x4). Please by all means let us know what you think of the truck when you get it! MPG numbers would be particularily appreciated...
    After seeing that Mazda is offering 2 free packages on the Dual Sport, I changed my order for a B2300 to a B3000 Dual Sport. For $330 more than the base B2300 SE, you get full power, cruise cont, bed liner, raised suspension and a V-6. I'll take the hit in gas mileage, but end up with lots more truck. Not sure why Mazda would undermine the the B2300 so badly, but it works out in my favor.

• badbrett79badbrett79 Member Posts: 29
    know if the 1990 b2600i is a good truck it has 72k for $5200, is this the non ford version? is the 2.6 a long lasting durable motor??? thanks later
  • badbrett79badbrett79 Member Posts: 29
    and does it use a timing chain or belt??thanks....oh im 21 and this is my first own truck (vehicle), its cool looking i justwant it to last a long time do u think the low miles were hard on it from sitting or am i just paranoid???!!
    Let us know how you like your new B3000 Dual Sport!

Do you happen to recall the official MPG rating for the 2.3L? Is it the same as the 22/26 for the 2.5L? Sites like carpoint still either list the 2.5 or just show an approx number. Thanks.
    I dont know the exact numbers for the mpg on the new 2.3L but I know along with more power the mpg is supposed to be a lot better than the 2.5L
  • lisbeylisbey Member Posts: 21
    I'm new to this discussion. Have been having a rough time deciding on a truck. I've driven just about everything possible and I think I have decided on the B4000. Anyone have a 2001? Any problems yet? I was quoted a price of $23,000 with after market running boards, power everything, DC player, sliding rear window, bed liner. Pretty much everything available on it. I drove the 3000 and didn't feel it had enough power. This will be my first truck purchase and as a woman, I do not want to be sold a bill of goods. I know when the Mazda was really Mazda and not Ford it was a great vehicle. I've also read some of the info on the Ranger as it is the same, but it seems no one has the 4 liter. Any advice?
    there is a few people with the 4 liter, just post your messages in the few ranger rooms ive seen a few people with the 4 liter (the new one) and they seem to like it. I have had a 98 mazda for close to 3 years now and it had been great. I do not see any fault in the quality of mazda and I think they are a little better in ford in certain ways. personally I don think you can go wrong with the B4000. good luck on your purchase and keep us updated!
    Lisa, I drove a 2001 B4000 4x4 for about a week and it was a very nice truck. All the negatives of the old 4.0L were taken care of by the new 205hp V-6. Of course the gas mileage was what I consider to be poor, but par for the course. As far as reliability goes, even though they are a Ford product, Mazda has instituted there own quality checks at the assembly plant. As Tacoma stated, I think they are a cut above the Ford and you get a longer warranty to boot.

Thanks for the info. I will keep you posted. Right now I'm just waiting for the dealer to get trucks in he ordered and drive the 4000. They had none in stock when I went which is why I had to drive the 3000. A final test drive and zero percent financing for 48 months will probably clinch it. Malt barley, huh?
    Anytime.

Yes, malt barley. Have you seen me lately, if so, probably too much. Remember kids, don't drink and drive!

• mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I tried to warn you guys a year ago, in message no. 244. Here's the text of that message again, and it explains why I'll never buy another product with a Ford-built engine.

Please note: This is not an uninformed flame; I owned this vehicle for five years (finally got rid of it last May, about a month after I posted the following message). I also spoke with other owners of B2300s/Ranger 2.3L's who had the same problem. If you want more proof, go check out the 2.3L message board at www.fordranger.com. I have never been so upset with a vehicle before; I purchased it new and hated it from the fourth month on. Good luck, and here's the post from last year:

Rlaukaitis, don't expect your engine clatter to go away. My 1994 B2300 has been pinging since it had 8,000 miles on the odometer; five years later it's still doing it at 117,000. Early on I was my dealer's worst enemy -- my truck must've been in the shop 100 times for this. I'd take up a lot of space telling you all the things that have been replaced -- some two or three times. Suffice to say we've replaced EVERY sensor, the ENTIRE EGR system (not just the valve), the truck's computer (twice), entire exhaust system, MAF sensor, intake manifold, and even remanufactured the head. The only positive thing I can say about my experience owning this truck is that I've learned a lot about how engines work (or don't work), and oh yes, I've learned -- too late for me -- how my state's lemon law works. I'll tell you this: I'm trading in my piecajunk Mazford in a few months and I will never own another Ford-built product. The pinging was only part of the whole problem. The final nail in the coffin came when the Mazda factory tech rep, at the request of my dealership's service manager, rode with me in the truck, admitted he heard the noise, and then got back out at the dealership and told the service manager there was nothing wrong with my truck. Mazda will not help you solve this problem. My advice is to check your state's lemon law, get documentation of the times you've taken the truck in for the same problem, and then pursue getting your dealership to buy you out of your loan. I would have done it if I'd known soon enough. Good luck!

There you have it. I assumed (and we all know what that means!) that the re-boring of the 2.3L engine to make it a 2.5L a couple of years ago would've helped the engine breathe easier and solve the problem. By what I've been reading here, it looks like the problem still exists. If anyone is lurking here, wondering whether to purchase a Mazda B-series truck or a Ford Ranger, my advice (to be taken as such, but remember: I warned you) is not to get the four-cylinder engine. It appears Ford is still using their customers to test an unproven engine design. That's sad.

Meade in Virginia
    I have yet to drive the 2.3L P/U but I can say that I never once heard pinging from my 2000 B2500. I have hauled 1/2 ton of gravel and plenty of other loads as well as driven it up to it's cutout(that took a while) without complaints. Either they fixed it or I got lucky.

B2300s are in production now, so when I get my hands on one I'll post my 2 cents.

Meade, sorry to hear about your negative experience with the truck and your Mazda rep(do you recall his name?). I think we all wish these trucks were still made in Hofu, Japan.

Note that the new 2.3L mentioned in #370 is a completely different engine than the old 2.3L mentioned in #369. The old 2.3L and 2.5L are the same OHV engine with different bore. The new 2.3L is an OHC engine.

The new 2.3L has a lower compression ratio than the current 2.5L, I'm hoping this helps the pinging problem. I'll be test-driving the new 2.3L this spring some time, I'll post any comments.
  • robster910robster910 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 B3000 Dual Sport with 2300 miles on it and I am getting unbelievably poor gas mileage. Currently I am getting no more than 14 mpg around town and can only go about 215 miles on a fillup. In addition, the truck seems rather underpowered for a supposed 170 hp engine. Whats the deal? A guy in my apartment complex has the same exact truck and the same exact complaints. Is it that the platform is designed for a 4x4 package and my configuration is 2 wheel drive? Is there something wrong with the gearing or the transmission package? Has anyone else had problems with this model? War Eagle!
    Rob, I have a B3000 DS, manual trans on order right now. I assume that you have the auto trans and not the manual? I have driven both from the previous year. It seems that Ford loves to make there automatics slipery and slushy which eats power and gas. I think if Mazda actually designed this thing you would be able to feel the 170hp.

As far as DS being the problem, I don't think so. I've driven various configs of B-trucks and height has not seemed to matter; the 4x4 is always slower though.

The 3.0L automatic is rated at 16mpg city, so I'm afraid 14mpg around town isn't too far off. Plus, they say all cars/trucks burn more gas at the beginning, before they are completely broken in. The highway rating is 21mpg. For highway driving, a tonneau or cap will help with MPG.

Note that the engine is rated at 150hp not 170hp. Since the DS has a lot of the features of the 4x4, it weighs more than a "regular" 4x2. This might explain some of the lack of performance.

The new 4.0L SOHC has a little over 200hp.
  • kentroskentros Member Posts: 5
    I've owned a 1990 2wd B2600i since brand new.
    Now has 152,000 miles.Has been excellent truck
    since new- solidly built too. Engine uses a timing chain.Have gone through a couple of exhausts
    though I do live in the Northeast and right now
    My head Gasket is leaking and will have to be replaced. Other than that, No problems.Plan to
    keep it at least till 200,000 miles
    Well it was hard to say good-bye but I sold my 98 B2500 last night, I do not have one complaint, it ran awesome and I loved it but once I drove a tacoma I fell in love. Good luck to all you mazda owners out there!
  • wrosiewrosie Member Posts: 1
    1994 B-3000. Stopped at a light, put the truck in neutral. My 5 up manual transmission would not go into gear and it would grind when attempting reverse. Pushed it off road, stopped engine and was able to get it into gear. Drove for two weeks no problems. Now I have to fight it into 1st, 2nd and it grinds going into reverse. Once I start driving, no problem with 3rd, 4th or 5th. Checked oil in transmission, it was low, so I added 2 pints of AFT (owners manual). Still having same problem. Checked the clutch fluid in the reservoir, it was full. Should I bleed the clutch, would this fix the problem? I was told the clutch doesn't have synchronizers; they live on the transmission main shaft. Can this be fixed or do I need a new transmission?
    Sounds like a clutch problem. Reverse doesn't typically have syncro rings(don't need it) so if you are getting a lot of grinding make sure the clutch is disengaging. Bleeding it sounds like a good idea, but unless you have done some work on the clutch master/slave you shouldn't be having a problem with air in the line.

• krlsmlkrlsml Member Posts: 1
    Please, please tell me my gas mileage will get better. We bought a 3000 DS two weeks ago and so far the mileage stinks. I drive 80 miles to work and back each day and I can't handle this. I don't want to be hating this truck for the next five years. So far it's been about 200 miles to a tank. I did get almost 300 miles once-is that a good sign of things to come?
    Well, the sticker says 16MPG city for a DS. That about what you'll get in around-town driving. Highway rating is 21MPG. Try a tonneau or cap to improve highway MPG, particularily if you drive fast.

http://carpoint.msn.com/Vip/Engines/Mazda/B-Series/2001.asp

Have you calculated your MPG? What are you getting?

Yes, you should get slightly better MPG after the first couple of thousand miles (after the engine breaks in completely).

• flyslow1flyslow1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new 2001 B3000 Dual Sport. Can you believe it? I've lived in in Texas since 1968 and this is the first pick-up I've ever owned. So far, so good, but I'd like to put a soft tonneau cover on it. Any advice?
  • jmcdermottjmcdermott Member Posts: 4
    Hi I have seen numerous messages throughout the board regarding the "Ford" engines compared to the Mazda engines. When is a good cut off date to go by. I was looking at a 1996 B2500 w/53k but want to gather a little more info if possible.
    Any assistance will be appreciated.
    Also how is hwy gas mileage with the 112 hp?
    Thanks
    All Mazda trucks model year 1994 and later sold in the US are built by Ford.

In 1996, the four cylinder was a B2300, i.e. a 2.3L(basically a smaller version of the 2.5L).

EPA estimates are:
    M/T 23/28
    A/T 21/25

With my B2500 M/T, I averaged about 21mpg, but I have a heavy foot.

• good_guygood_guy Member Posts: 11
    I am seriously considering the Mazda B4000 DS since I like the 4.0l engine (looks good on paper), the prerunner style, and the sexier bed, overall it lookes better than the Ranger Edge, although I like the Vinyl on the Edge. But my biggest concern is the payload. I looked at the brochure and the internet and Mazda list it to have only 1200 lb payload, while the Ranger XLT can get up to 1600 lbs. Is there an option that I could increase the GVWR to ~5100 lbs and get the higher payload. Less than 1500 lb payload capacity is too small for what I want.

Leo dC
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    to increase payload. It costs about 160bucks.. Edmunds used to list it but now I don't see it???
  • ctmyers1ctmyers1 Member Posts: 1
    Awesome baby! I love it, it's green 5speed manual, I love how the suspension is raised but you don't have to have a 4x4. You especially don't need it here in Houston! :) Hey flyslow1, where do you live in Tejas? This is my first pickup since my '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max back in my high school days, I can't believe I got rid of that fun little truck :( But this more than makes up for it! If anyone here in H-town is looking for a good Mazda get a hold of Justin Flanagan at Jeff Haas Mazda, he is the Internet Sales Manager and he never tried to talk me up or out of our vehicles, I got the B3000 DS and my wife got a silver 626 LX. Great cars, good job Mazda!
    Congrats on your truck! I'm still waiting for my red B3000 DS. Let me know how yours does over these next few weeks.

• campoutcampout Member Posts: 22
    Hello to everyone on the list. I am currently in the market for a compact pickup truck, own a '97 Ford F-150, good truck but it's time to downsize. Have always liked the Mazda B-Series better than the Ford Ranger even though they are mechanically similar. My question, can anyone recommend a Mazda dealer in the Chicagoland area? and how is the availability of these trucks, especially 4wd. Any help greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Paul
    Looks like the official MPG numbers are finally out for the new 2.3L 4cyl: 24mpg city and 28 hwy for the 5sp. The old 2.5L 5sp was 22/26, if I recall correctly, so that's a nice increase in both MPG (and HP is up too). The numbers drop to 21/25 for the automatic.

http://www.mazdausa.com/trucks/specs/default.asp?vehicle=trucks&did=50706#7

I FINALLY picked up my B-4000 today and I love it so far. I'm getting a little worried about the gas going to $3 a gallon since I up-sized from a Mercury Tracer. It's monochromatic red. I was going with silver until I saw the red. It's very hot. To cam pout: I began shopping for my 4000 in early March. The Detroit dealers didn't have any, but they all had them on order. Of course, I missed the zero percent financing for 48 months because there was no inventory. Now until sometime in June they are offering 4.9% with a $500 rebate. Any advice on a break-in period for this thing? It was driven about 90 highway miles from another dealership for me to get and I worry about how it was driven. The only thing I've noticed so far is the tail gait has a gap on the passenger side. Of course, I was already home with it. You can't see it from standing behind the truck. I noticed it while looking at the bed from the cab. How's the barley?
    Hey Lisbey, Fine thanks!
    Congrats on your truck purchase.
    That gap you see is actually on both sides and is normal since the '99 model year when they deleted some little rubber strips. I too was a little freaked about it when I got mine and I've thought about adding something just so I don't get bummed when backing up.

As far as break-in, just give the truck 750 miles or so of easy driving and you should be fine.

Thanks for the info. Must be I only see the gap on the passenger side because I see it when I turn around from the driver's seat. Hey, makes sense. Over 300 miles and still babying her. GOD, I LOVE THIS TRUCK! Taking a bit of getting used to after what I was driving. Love being able to actually see driving down the road. Our gas in Detroit is $1.74 a gallon today. Did I make the right decision? GOD, I LOVE THIS TRUCK! Oops, already mentioned that, huh? Keep the malt flowing.
    Lisa
    over 300 miles? You must be on your 3rd tank of gas (hehehe). I hope you didn't buy this truck thinking that it was going to get good mileage. But, and a very big but, the '01 4000 engines run very smooth with solid power throughout the RPM range.

Did you say you liked that truck?

Yes, I REALLY like it! Almost 500 miles and yes I've put gas in three times in less than a week. But, working the mileage out, I'm getting 17 mpg. Better than I expected since it's rated at 15 and 18. Hopefully after a good break in, I can do a little better. I do drive like a granny though, so that probably has something to do with it. I guess because I'm so used to a 4 cylinder. Couldn't speed if I'd have wanted to. It's definitely a keeper. Be good. Haven't seen anything from campout. What did you decide?
  • campoutcampout Member Posts: 22
    Hi again to all on the list. Congrats Lisbey on the purchase of your new truck! I am still shopping here in the Chicagoland area, still no luck. Some Mazda dealers don't seem to concerned, trying to sell me a Tribute instead. Does anyone know of a reputable dealer in the Chicagoland area? Also checking out Dodge Dakota and Toyota trucks, but still like the styling of the Mazda B series the best. Will keep you posted.

Sincerely,
    Paul
  • dsdrvr01dsdrvr01 Member Posts: 10
    Think I test drove every truck in the class but finally got myself a white b3000 DS. Little light on the HP compared to the others but a good value for the dollar and meets my needs.

Can't help on the Chicago dealers but in Sacramento Great Valley Mazda was real good. Can't ever recall a 40 minute buying session on a vehicle before. Might have helped they had had the truck I was looking for on the lot for almost three months but regardless got it for a couple hundred over dealer invoice.

Kind of weird getting used to a 6 after driving a 4 for to many years but getting it all broke in and decent mileage. 22mpg last tank driving up and down hill and off the beaten track in the country out here. Still have to find a camper for it those guys are worse than car salesmen. Anyone has suggestions I'm listening.

Good truck and no buyers remorse after almost a month and 1500 miles, always a good sign. Now if I can just get used to a gas gauge that is the opposite of my old toy. I'm always filling up with 4-5 gallons left.

Adam
    I've heard bad things about the Tribute/Escape. Several recalls on them. Also, off-set crash tests came out today and they did not do well in the small SUV class. I "glanced" at the Tribute and my salesman told me I would be much better off with the truck. Especially if I did any off-roading at all. If you want do drive to Detroit, I can hook you up with a great salesman. Can't help you in the Chicago area though. Sorry. Inventory on the 4000 is low all over MI.

I drove EVERY small truck. The Toyota is a real nice but the doors sounded very tinny. It was a little pricey for me with the options I wanted. (Sorry Tacoma if you're still reading.) Dakota was really nice, too, but I read about some problems others were having in another discussion area and decided against it even though my husband is a contractor with Chrysler and could have received a small discount. The GMC Sonoma was a GREAT truck. Again, price was a bit high especially with the high rider suspension package.

All-in-all the Mazda was the best deal for me for price, quality, standard equipment, aesthetics, and performance. I love the fact the 4000 has both back doors that open. Very nice feature.

Whatever you decide, good luck. I know where you are. I've been there. It's a tough decision.

Lisa
    I hate to tell you this, but your dealer was just out to make the sell on a truck. Your dealer can move as many Tributes as they can get, but B-trucks are slow movers right now. So with a fish on the line, I'm sure he'd tell you anything.

As far as off roading goes, I have taken both a Trib and a B4000 off road and both have capable 4wd and you wouldn't notice much of a difference until you get into areas where lots of suspension travel is needed. For the vast majority of folks this is never the case.

When I want to do any serious 4 wheeling, the '71 Land Cruiser comes out of the garage.

Okay, okay. No need to chastise me Malt. Are you calling me a fish? I wanted a pick up from the start and my salesman worked very hard to find me one. I drove the Escape when it first came out and didn't like it. There have been several recalls. Those problems are supposed to be fixed as of February. All the issues with buying a first year vehicle I suppose. In this area, the 4000 is hard to come by and I don't see too many Tributes. Escapes are a dime a dozen. After all, this is Ford country.
    Actually, I once owned a 1988 Dodge Power Ram 50. Remember those? Dodge stuck a sticker on a Mitsubishi. It had a little 4 cylinder, but that little truck kicked some butt on the trails and sand hills. I didn't always live in the city and most days wish I still didn't. Mother's day weekend I will be trying out the off-road capabilities of the new ride as I will be in a place I will be able to do so. Should be fun. It's been way too long.

I forgive you Barley. Have one for me. That's been a while, too.
    Lisa
    We are all fish at one point or another. When we want something we'll do what it takes to get it.

I understand about the Ford country thing. My first time in Detroit was a real shocker. I kept wondering where they were hiding all the import cars? At least the folks in Ann Arbor seemed to have it a little more together as far finding good cars to drive.

As you may notice, I can sometimes be brutally honest.

I may take out a B4000 this weekend to do a bit of off roading, so I'll think of you lisbey, especially when I go to get gas.