Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• joe369joe369 Member Posts: 61
    I too am not pleased with the engine noise. It's louder at idle (from the outside) than a 1998 Mercury Sable with over 100k miles.

Do you think the new avalon is louder while cruising than the old one? Though the engine seems resonably quiet, there seems to be considerable wind noise at highway speeds....
  • paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    Thanks, n0v8or - awesome!

That is a big help with my '05 Avalon, '93 Pickup, and future '9x or '8x Cressida. :)

- Paul
  • billygbillyg Member Posts: 29
    havalongavalon and johni,

Thanks for the great info that you two have provided about the Awell parking system, I have about made up my mind to places my order.

I have one question remaining. How does the system work when Backing Up into a parking space when the other vehicles are on each side of you as opposed to parallel parking when the cars are to the front and rear? I suppose that this is referred to as garage parking.

Thank you again for sharing your knowledge.
  • fragmirefragmire Member Posts: 97
    Has anyone used the RainX Glass Treatment product for repelling rain, especially on a Avalon Limited glass? I'm interested in trying it out, but I'd like to get some feedback before I drop the dollars.
  • fmayberryfmayberry Member Posts: 33
    In searching for a new car, I looked at a number of cars both higher and lower end. But the Avalon offered the best value in my opinion. I have had my 2006 Limited for 30 days now. With approximately 2,000 miles on the car, I want to post my thoughts on the vehicle for others that might be considering an Avalon. I am coming out of a 96 Nissian Maxima.

Concerns / Issues –

1. Transmission sometimes searches for the correct gear below 35mph. Also an intermittent a rough thump when shifting at 10 mph.
    2. Car idles rougher at times when in Drive and stopped with the brake on.
    3. The reliability of the Avalon based upon comments of others on message boards.
    4. Unable to disengage VSC and traction control.
    5. The silver finish on the console and audio covers needs to be something more durable.
    6. Thud sound at times from rear of car when starting from a stopped position.
    7. When in Auto mode, the lowest fan speed is not very low. Results in a constant breeze.
    8. The automatic temperature control seems to run cold. When set on 74, the car is not very warm compared to my previous car.

Missing features at this price point –

1. No backlighting on the controls on the left side of the steering wheel.
    2. No backlighting on the Homelink controls or overhead console.
    3. Satellite radio should be part of the enhanced audio system.
    4. Bluetooth integration.
    5. Mute option on the audio control located on the steering wheel.
    6. Tilt & telescoping steering on memory recall.
    7. Adjustable power pedals.
    8. Backup sensors.

Design considerations that would make this a great car -

1. Folding rear seat (60/40).
    2. Lower rear lip on the trunk.
    3. Ability to display RDS message constantly rather than having to press the Text key on the radio.
    4. More side bolster in the front seats.
    5. Folding mirrors.
    6. Side view mirrors that tilt down when reversing.
    7. Dual front active head restraints.
    8. Allow the passenger seat height to be adjustable.
    9. LED taillights.
    10. Adjustable power pedals.
    11. Adjustable color on the information center.

Great Features –

1. Roominess in both the front and back seats.
    2. Minimal transmission hump in rear seat.
    3. Ride and quietness of the car.
    4. Excellent power and acceleration.
    5. Uses 87 octane gas.

General Comments –

1. Make laser cruise control and VSC standard on the Limited. I could not find a single car without these optional features (Washington DC area). They are standard by default.
    2. The scarity of the Limited makes shopping for one difficult. I had to contact a lot of dealers, listen to a lot of BS to get a decent price (approximately $700 over invoice).
  • n0v8orn0v8or Member Posts: 169
    I do get some false warning signals from cars parked aside mine, which I find somewhat annoying. Some, however, say they prefer it that way.

If I were to do it over, I would mount the outer sensors about 2" further toward the center of the car. The actual locations I used can be seen in the dimensioned photo posted in my installation notes at http://members.cox.net/n0v8or/avalon_awell_install.pdf
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    billyg,

Glad that this information is helpful. I recommend placing the two outer sensors close to the corners of the rear bumper, as shown in the photo in post #5550. This way, when you back into a parking spot there is useful lateral "sensing" of proximity to a car on either side. When the distance to the closest car is about 2 feet, you will hear beeps about once or twice per second. If the distance is less than 2' on either side, the frequency increases to several beeps per second; and if you come to within 1' of another car on either side, the beeping changes into a continuous tone. This system gives you plenty of warning. It allows you to stop, pull forward, re-align and back up again if at first you were coming too close to one of the other cars.

Best wishes,

havalongavalon
    I've not used Rain-X on the Avalon, but on my previous car (a Volvo S80) I found it badly distorted my night vision. Street lights and oncoming headlights were surrounded by rainbows with the added illusion of a beam of light extending to my windshield.

it worked great a repelling water though, and distortion is minimal in daylight. Rubbing alcohol seemed to remove it OK, so don't be afraid to give it a try.
  • schultz2006schultz2006 Member Posts: 6
    Sounds to me you should buy a 745il which has everything you want in a car. It should not cost over 78,000.
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    To my old friends and the new people. I do check the messages now and then.
  • dclee12dclee12 Member Posts: 14
    I have an XLS and I also would like to install HID. However, I've found that HID lamps from the Touring model can't be installed in the XLS due to the internal wiring that is different... this is what the dealer told me. Also, I've been advised to be wary of aftermarket HID lights b/c of possible incompatibility with the plastic housing (it could burn it). Can anyone shed more light?
  • starman98starman98 Member Posts: 119
    It appears there are lots of problems with Avalons. I am kinda worried in getting one now.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    The $961.00 parts list price EACH is for the entire HID assembly. Don't think a simple bulb replacement would work, the internal reflectors etc. are different, and does sound conceivable that the housing is designed for the heat created. But - replacing the entire assemblies might be possible - 12 VDC is 12 VDC and it may plug right in, require a different connector or whatever, make sure the amperage and wire size is OK. This is a mass produced automobile so I would imagine some commonality in these parts, despite what your dealer is telling you - my experience has been that is is a lot about Avs that the dealers don't know. Even using a Toyota parts discounter like anythingtoyota.com would imagine you might still be out 1500.00 or so.
    The Xenons, by the way, are great - my first car with them, makes night driving a pleasure. Really critical lights like these to get the aim right - too high you'll blind other drivers, too low and the periphery illumination suffers. Get em right and you'll see traffic signs, lane markers, things in the road etc. like you've never seen them before!
  • maryjmaryj Member Posts: 53
    I read and agree with the comments about the 05 Avalon not being the quiet car that it was. I remember, late 90's, or thereabouts, Toyota had a TV commercial demonstrating how quiet the car was. They emphasized how the sheet metal had a soundproof coating and would hit several different metal surfaces and when they got to the Avalon, they would just get a thud. A Toyota salesman told me to turn the radio on full blast and step out and shut the door. Couldn't even hear the radio, just silence. When I drove the car, though, the suspension was so soft, it seemed to wallow all over the road. I didn't buy it. Bought a Seville(great car) instead and kept it until this car. Now, the Avalon doesn't seem to have any soundproofing and if you close the door with the radio on, there's very little change in the volume from inside to outside.

To finally get to my question. When I was installing my backup warning, I had to take all the carpets out of the trunk and there was just bare metal below. Do you think it would help if areas like that or even under the floor mats were undercoated? TedJ
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    I think I'm one of the "silent majority." I've only put 1200 miles on my '06 Limited, however, I have yet to experience ANY problems of ANY kind.
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    We had a big thunderstorm come through the metro DC area last night and the tree in my front yard went down. Right across my 9 month old LTD. As of now I don't know how much damage is actually done.

Here is the link to see the picture.

[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/mtpys/TreedCar.jpg[/IMG]

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/mtpys/TreedCar.jpg

The read only password to view this album is: Avy05

Capital A

MikeS.
  • mem4mem4 Member Posts: 52
    I use Rain X on the side and back windows only, I've found it causes the wipers to streak and squeak on the front window. Works well on the sides and back to keep snow and ice from sticking, rain runs off well if the windows are reasonably clean.
  • limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    I would think that the ballasts and associated parts would also be needed too.
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    "It appears there are lots of problems with Avalons. I am kinda worried in getting one now"

Don't be! I've had mine for almost 10 months now and have had 1 problem, a loose door molding that took 10 seconds to fix. This car is great. What you are reading here is from a small portion of 05/06 Avalon owners that are having problems.

MikeS.
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    WOW: your installation directions were just great. I have looked at back up sensers and back up cameras. Locating the lcd sreen, other than at the top of the windshield, wouldn' look right.

Have you or anyone considered or installed an interface connection from the back up camera to show on the navigation screen when in reverse? These sell for less than 600 bucks, using the license plate camera similar to the lexus. ange1
    would think (don't know) that anything different required to make the light work would be contained within the light assembly itself. It only makes sense. On a production line, they should be setting up the frame/engine assemblies to morph into whatever trim they are going to produce at that time. So things like interior assemblies are switched out if the line is to produce Ltds. instead of XL's or whatever. The interiors should install very close to the same manner regardless of trim. Same thing, I'm guessing, for the headlights - just can't imagine they reengineer anything too substantial to simply switch some halogens out for xenons. It would cost them too much!
  • hutch34hutch34 Member Posts: 34
    In my opinion, some of the posts are overly critical! I have one of the first 05 Limiteds, I took delivery in March and now have 12,000 miles on it. This is my evaluation.

I initially experienced the transmission hesitation. However, this has long since gone away. The transmission seems to work flawlessly. Everything else is working fine.
    The car is very smooth and comfortable, gets great gas mileage (for a large car). I really don't have any complaints. There are some things that would be nice to have such as the backup warning system but one has to be realistic and remember that this is not advertised nor priced as a luxury car!! Overall it's a much better value than the 03
    Acura MDX that I came out of!! I consider it a better car than the Acura. :)
    see post 10242, sounds a lot like what hutch is talking about as well. Am very happy with my April 05 Touring that now has 17k. The only 'problem' I can see with it all has to do with the electronic control systems, and I think the jury is still out on how Toyota handles them. Took a ride yesterday in a friend's MB ML350 - probably $60k - and you know what - the new 6 speed transmission does the same thing - hesitates briefly while searching for a gear especially from lower speeds. I have found the 'problem' to be something I can anticipate, and I do modify my driving style slightly to compensate for this electronic interference. If you are looking for a large luxury sedan, I'll put the Avalon against anything on the road in its price category. I didn't expect it to be a Lexus LS - but it comes pretty darn close - at about half the price.
    gbinplano has done the reverse camera installation you described. Do a search for all of his posts to this forum.

I don't think the specific camera he used is available any longer; the vendor seems have gone under. But there are suitable cameras available from eBay vendors.

Based on his posted info, I am planning to replicate gbinplano's installation during the Christmas holidays period. The parts are on order. Total parts cost will be less than $350.
    How does the new avalon compare in terms of interior road noise, wind noise, engine noise?
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    How does the new avalon compare in terms of interior road noise, wind noise, engine noise?

joe369 -

I have a 2000 Avalon XLS, and a 2005 Avalon Limited. Drive both of them all the time. I don't notice any significant difference between the 2 in terms of noise. Others in this forum have complained about how noisy the new engine is, but I just don't hear that.

The new car has a slightly stiffer ride, and stiffer seats (in the Limited at least). I've driven both on day-long trips (12 hours), and both leave me feeling fine, no back problems.

Max
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Can't really say about other and later models but my 2001 RX300 has HIDs and the ECU that controls the auto-leveling is under the dash by the stearing column. Mine also has a sensor on the rear axle to sense load weight and adjust the HID leveling accordingly.

Not a simple upgrade.
    I've driven one 1997 (XL) and two 2001 Avalons (XLS), and I agree with 3puttmax.

In terms of noise level, the new one (2005 Ltd) is louder at start-up, but once the engine revs down (after about a minute or two), it's hardly noticeable. There were comments in this forum about how the soundproofing isn't as good as before, but I actually think my 2005 is much quieter than my old 2001 and 1997. Try rolling down the driver-side window and you'll notice the SIGNIFICANT difference.

The ride is definitely stiffer in 2005, but I kind of like it as it gives me more feel and allows for tighter cornering.

In my opinion, wind noise is less noticeable in 2005 than in 2001, especially that due to the side mirrors at freeway speed.
    Personally, I don't think the new Avalon is any louder than before. My family has owned a 1997 and two 2001, and my new 2005 is just as quiet, if not quieter at freeway speed.

The noise is most likely NOT due to the dual exhause pipes as they are faux. If you look under the car, you can see that the one exhause pipe simply gets split into two near the end. There is no optimization done in the exhaust system like some other cars.

I haven't had any problem with engine start-up.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Hi folks. I would like to make my "official" announcement on this board since it's the last one I have made many contributions to. I've decided in the interest of my health to get out of the car business. I no longer have the passion I once did and I would be doing a great disservice to my current and future customers. If in the future I decide to come back I will certainly let you know.
    Your friend,
    Mackabee
    The engine is loud indeed. What worries me is that the engine on the virtually new avalon is louder than the one on my 1998 mercury sable with over 100k miles on its belt.

Maybe the wind noise I'm hearing is due to the lack of the sound reducing windshield on the limited (I have an XLS).

The wind noise doesnt sound abnormal as would be caused by a missing rubber stripping, but is louder than I expected after reading all the reviews about the relative quietness of the Avalon. Our oldest car, a 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis with over 200k miles seems quieter at highway speeds than the avalon! :confuse: :cry:
  • satyr1satyr1 Member Posts: 2
    I use to use the Rain-X treatment but it did become a little of a pain in the butt to wipe it off/in totally. I left streaks and distortion that I just couldn't get total ride of. Then I discovered the Rain-X has recently started making washer fluid that is premix with the rain-X solution. The result is every time you use your windshield washer you get a Windex type washer fluid with rain-x mixed in. It works wonders. No more streak an I never really have to go through the pain of reapplying. I guess the mixture is just right.
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    Your contribution(s) and professional insight will very much be missed. Our very best to you with your health situation.
    zekeman1
  • islandavyislandavy Member Posts: 21
    Mike, it hurt to look at that photo and I hope the damage isn't too bad. My 5 month old Avy has been through 4 major hurricanes here in Florida and I worried more about the car than my house. Hope your insurance covers wind damage.
    Island Avy :cry:
    been several years since such a close call, but this sure did reinforce my favorable view of my Avalon:
    rush hour, 2 lane highway at dusk, dry roads. Traffic is heavy but moving 60-65 cars maybe 60 feet apart. I am in the left lane and notice a car attemting to merge onto the highway (from the right) at maybe 30 mph. The car turns out to be a Civic and has a long line of impatient cars behind her attempting to do the same thing. By the time I reach the entrance ramp, the car immediately behind the Honda, a beat up Sunfire decides he has had enough of this and decides to swerve into the left lane to try to get by. Except, of course, that is exactly where I am! So I nail the accelerator and swerve onto to paved left shoulder kicking up a little dirt as I did and had my Av up to maybe 85 or 90 in a hurry - just fast enough to clear the Sunfire by maybe 10 or 12 feet because I had to swerve back into the lane in which I started because of an approaching bridge that narrowed the shoulder. Ended up being a 6 car accident though with other folks rear ending both the Sunfire, the Honda, and each other. One driver off in an ambulance but thankfully it did not seem that anybody seriously hurt. Would not have been able to do this without that good old fashioned HP in our Avs, and would not have wanted to try it arguing with the VSC system I don't have.
    I did stop up the road a ways after all this ostensibly to render aid, but instead gave the cops a statement, and watched them write a couple of tickets, amidst the 14 tow trucks that showed up for 6 cars. A sad commentary on the times - the Sunfire driver - no insurance - so unfortunately I guess I will end up being a 'star' witness as everybody decides to sue everybody else, and the lawyers get rich from the multitudes of mysterious injuries... Probably take years, better keep this posting so I can recount what happened 5 years from now?
  • 06graylimited06graylimited Member Posts: 29
    To offer my observations as a three time (00, 03 and now 06) Avalon owner.....
    I do agree that there seems to be more low speed engine "noise" or as I call it a pleasant sounding "growl". I also notice a little stiffer ride as well but I think the trade off is more secure handling and steering balance compared to earlier Avalons. Overall quietness at highway speeds is very impressive. With 2,900 miles so far, I have experienced none of the often mentioned "problem areas" with the exception of fog lights that are not as tight as I think they should be. Perhaps my rear is different than most but I find my limited seats with their adjustability extremely comfortable. Also of note, in mixed driving, I am currently averaging 25.0 to 26.5 MPG. My Avalon is 2006 Limited, Phantom Grey with Ivory leather, VSC Stability control, All weather floor mats, XM satellite radio, body color siide mouldings. As fond as I was of my previous Avalons, they lacked the pizzaz both inside and out that this new one has. No one ever commented on my Avalons until this one!!
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    BEST WISHES, mackabee, for the future, whatever it holds. Your comments and information have been helpful to many on these boards. We all assume you will drive into the Edmunds.com Avalon automotive sunset in an '06 Limited w/ laser cruise, nav, etc.... :)
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    I have an 05 LTD which replaced a 99 XLS that I loved. I find the 05 quieter inside. I hear no difference in the engine noise. The 05 wins hands down in terms of power & smoothness of ride. IMO, the 05 is a much more substantial vehicle.
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    I've owned an 05 LTD since July & have about 8500 miles on it. The only "problem" I've had is a mud shield that came loose under a rear wheel well after running over some debris in the road. Dealer fixed it as warranty work. I've had no transmission or hesitation problems. Very powerful car that provides a smooth, quiet ride with good gas mileage. I also considered & test drove a Caddy CTS, Acura TL & Lexus GS 330. All were fine cars, but I'm very happy with my decision.
    Mackabee, you will definitely be missed. Thank you so much for all your input. Please continue on the path to health. I hope you are getting better since we last emailed one another. I wish you the very best and have said the prayers for you. Bye my friend.
    I have over 12,500 miles and have the same experience you do. It's an awesome car. Enjoy it as I know you are.
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    Our limited is 6 monthd old. We find road noise is low. Sometimes on rough pavement there is a noticable noise. No wind noise at all. The engine is noiser than my crown victoria was with 183,000 miles. I am not worried as I plan to let toyota do the service and I have the 100,000 mile package. Driving on a smooth road, at about 60 mph, you can't find a quiter car.

When I test drove the dealer's 2005 limited I noticed there was an engine roar when you hit the throttle. I decided to accept this. While this is noticable it is livable. Why didn't toyota install headers on the engine? This might reduce engine noise and increase horsepower. Maybe they will do this later to recover the HP they advertised in their literature and car window stickers.I still am unhappy about their origional HP measurements they used.

Ford had boasted about a quiter dual exhaust with headers and they were right. Their main muffler had an unusual rectangular shape that was tapered in the middle.

The windshield does have some sound reducing benefit. You notice the sound of the rain making a slight sleet sound. I am not sure this is a benefit. I can't notice any other noise reducing, if does happen. ange1
  • 06indigoavalon06indigoavalon Member Posts: 28
    Oh...oh....oh...your poor car! I have the '06 Avy Ltd in the same color and I know how I felt when someone rear-ended me and pushed me into the car in front of me when my Avy was only 2 months old! I just got my car out of the shop and they did a great job. Hope yours does ok!
  • retired7retired7 Member Posts: 133
    I own a '96 XLS w/142K miles and a 05 Ltd w/14K miles. Both are garaged and well taken care of. The 4 speed tranny on XLS is less agressive to throttle responses. Engine on both are quite and smooth. The 191 horse XLS can't hold a candle to the 280/268 horse Ltd. The Ltd is much more of a car and I feel I can run with the big boys w/the 3.5L engine on premium fuel. The leather seats on the XLS are more comfortable than the Ltd but love that seat heater in 30 deg weather. Rear and side visibility is much better on XLS and need to be more careful with the Ltd when backing out of parking spaces and pulling out to pass. We use the XLS for town driving and the Ltd for long trips. The Ltd is a revolutionaly advancement over the XLS.
  • dclee12dclee12 Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know a part number or where to get a front license holder? I don't want the plate to be directly on the bumper (may scratch up the paint, etc.)
  • 06ltd06ltd Member Posts: 25
    I've used it on my wife's'06 Limited and it works just fine. Be thorough in buffing it off and you should do well with it, too. I find that I need the wipers at low speeds when there's insufficient wind, but at higher speeds the wind blows the water off the windshield sufficiently well that wipers are unnecessary. Sometimes, people riding with me who don't know about it get spooked when I don't use the wipers. I use it on all the glass on all my cars.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    What an experience! Glad you and your Avalon are okay.
  • rrogers2rrogers2 Member Posts: 11
    Great detail and instructions on installing Awell. I have a question. From pictures it looks like you have Blizard Pearl Avalon, if so, what color and model Awell did you use and how well did color match?
    dclee12 . . . see message #9095 on this forum for the part number.
    Dealer's in my area quoted $20 for the "official Toyota" bracket (must be gold plated), so I purchased a nice plastic universal bracket for $5 at a local auto store. The universal bracket provides the flexibility to align the plate vertically much better than the factory one does.
    The photos are misleading because it was a bright sunny day. I have Titanium Silver so used the silver sensors. Blizzard Pearl may be more of a challenge to match.