Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    thanks. after some further reflection I guess that I am kind of surprised at the evasive capabilities of the Avalon. It is not a sports sedan, but it sure did behave like one - our engines are wonderful!
  • chodiechodie Member Posts: 13
    Are the body side moldings a dealer option? I would like to see a picture of your Avalon. thanks
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    I purchased the front plate holder from my local dealer for around $12. Anythingtoyota.com will sell it for $7, however, shipping adds too much to it.

The factory holder is nice because it is designed to "hook" underneath the grill slot and anchor with two screws at the top, thus having to only drill two holes in the bumper. And the holes are already "dimpled" for drilling.
  • stlmostlmo Member Posts: 40
    If the dealer asks for an outrageous amount point out other dealers are selling them for less ($7, $10, & $12 have been reported). Also if the dealer has already installed the plate itself (mine came with a cardboard plate with the dealer name when I picked up the car) the 2 holes needed for the factory bracket have already been drilled as they are the same as the ones needed for the top holes in a licence plate.
  • johnijohni Member Posts: 43
    Billyg: I seldom "garage park" so I can't say for certain. But I do get a beep when I back up out of my garage do to the sensors picking up the sides of the garage opening which are about 12 inches from the side of the car. It's not a continuous beep that I get when I'm within 16 inches of an object- more like the beeping when it's about 3 feet of an object. Of course, the beeps stop when I clear the garage door opening.

The manual I got with the Awell unit shows a width detection range of 35 inches from the sensor or 17.5 inches to either side. They recommended installing the outside sensors 4-6 inches from the side of the car in a four sensor configuration. So detecting objects to the side and rear is by design. I installed the outside sensors 26 inches from the car's centerline which is a little further away from the side of the car than Awell recommends. I did that because the bumper curves and I was concerned about picking up too much from the sides. You could install them closer in to reduce the range of detecting objects to the side.
  • billygbillyg Member Posts: 29
    johni

Thank you so much for the Reverse Warning Alarm information.

Regards
    billyg :D
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    Insurance is coming through like a champ. They will pay 500 towards tree removal from my homeowners and the Avy and my 97 Tacoma are covered by the comprehensive portion of the auto insurance. The Avy has several dents, none large on the hood, right fender and front door pillar. Body shop said they will replace the roof and the fender. Roof pillar will be fixed.

Tacoma has 2 minor dents and paint loss.

I'll post some more pictures to Photobucket later today or tomorrow when I get a chance.

MikeS.
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    Mackabee, the Toyota forums just won't be the same w/o you. I will truely miss your insight and inside information. Best of luck with the health issues, I know they have plagued you for quite awhile now.

If you still have my home e-mail please feel free to drop me a line or 3.

Best wishes,

MikeS.
  • 06graylimited06graylimited Member Posts: 29
    I don't yet have a digital camera but expect to have one soon and then could send photo. My Avalon came in and the dealer installed the side mouldings without asking if I wanted them. I was initially upset by this until they offered them for about $120.00 instead of the absurd $399.00 which was listed on the "add on" sticker. The more I look at the car, the more I like them so all worked out well. There is a sight where they can be bought fairly affordably. I will find that address and get it to you. They look like they would be fairly easy to install.
  • jjr1jjr1 Member Posts: 16
    I bought an 06 xl. After starting car and roll about 5 mph.
    sounds like ABS pulses about 5 times,then quite. Will not happen again until car is turned off, upon restart same pulses. Anyone else. Also low rpm with load lifter noise.
    Otherwise great car. Can lifter be adjusted. Dealer to have regional tech check in a couple of weeks.
  • 06graylimited06graylimited Member Posts: 29
    Please look at messages: 9640, 9639, 9638 & 9114 for information and links regarding the Avalon side mouldings. Or in the alternate, search (within this Avalon forum) using the key word mouldings. Enjoy!
  • n0v8orn0v8or Member Posts: 169
    jir1 . . .
    I have not noticed the ABS pulses. Perhaps because I always reach a speed much higher than 5mph almost instantly :).

I do hear what sounds like lifter noise under the conditions you described (idling in "D" with brake applied, for example).

The valve lash is adjusted by hydraulic valve train components. According the the factory repair manual, there is not any provision for adjustment.
  • 44394439 Member Posts: 21
    Info for Avalon drivers in snow country......a couple of days ago, in Wisconsin, it snowed about 3 inches and the following day the weather turned quite a bit colder. As I was driving I noticed a loud and harsh vibration coming from the front of the vehicle (or so I thought). The steering wheel was vibrating and it felt like the vehicle was out of alignment. Toyota techs stated no problems with the front of the car but that a large chunk of ice on the rear passenger tire was attached to the inside of the rim. They chipped it away and the vibrations have stopped.

I noticed after the snowfall that there seemed to be quite a bit of snow wedged in the wheel well area on the rear tires. All my other cars have not had this problem. The Avalon tires were basically rubbing on the snow that accumulated in the wheel well.

Info only.......
  • twin4twin4 Member Posts: 3
    I currently drive an 02 Acura TL. I don't particulary like the new body style of the TL. So I thought I would test an Avalon. I have driven Toyotas but not for about 10 years. I have driven Acuras since 1995. I love the Acura and the way it handles. The traction control system is wonderful and I have not had any problems in either ice or snow. My Acura is dependable and reliable. Will I be as happy with the Avalon LTD as I am with my Acura??? Anyone else driven an Acura and compared to an Avalon?
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Many people have driven both and some here even own both, from various years. Bottom line: Drive both and decide which you like better. These are very different cars with very different attitudes. Only thing they really share is dependability, IMO, and Avalon may have a little edge there. And lesser priced Avalons are available if money is a major consideration. Good luck, keep everyone informed...
  • newavnewav Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a new 2006 Avalon XL. The drivers seat lumbar is very uncomfortable. It feels like sitting against a balloon even when its at its lowest position. I don't know if my seat is defective ? Has anyone had a similar experience?
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Returning to my car in the parking lot today, there was an identical Silver Spruce Avalon XLS parked next to me. I thought I was seeing double but the other car had some dry cleaning in it so I know it was not mine.

When I pressed my remote entry fob both cars chirped and the lights on both cars flickered. After I started my car and drove off the alarm on the other came on.

So my question to you boardies, what are the chances that both cars are programmed with the same key code and would my key actually start the engine of the other car? Was that coincidence or is this a serious security risk and should I report this to Toyota?

-
  • larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    The odds are pretty remote, but it can happen. My dad use to tell me a story that happened in 1955, in this little town of 800 people. Two new Chevy BelAir coupes, the same color, were parked side by side in this little town. The owner of one of the cars came out and noticed there were 2 cars alike sitting side by side. He wasn't sure which was his, but went over and inserted the key into one of them and the door opened, so he was sure he had the right car. Wrong, he drove off in someone elses car! When the 2nd owner came out he realized the remaining car was not his but was shocked when he discovered his keys worked in the remaining car. He called the town marshall and they were able to quickly figure out what had happened, traced down the other owner, and got the cars back to the correct people. So things like this are not impossible, but the odds probably make it highly improbable. If I was you, I would report it to Toyota or your dealer. If this happened once, it sounds like the odds are you could park near the other car again.
  • twin4twin4 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks so much for the response. My biggest concern is the traction control system. I live in the midwest and drive a lot for my work. Obviously I travel through a lot of inclement weather especially in the winter months. My Acura handles remarkably well so my biggest question is whether or not the traction control system on the LTD will work as beautifully and reliably. I drove the LTD yesterday and have spent a day in the new TL. The interior of the new TL seems small and not as roomy as my current TL. The Avalon felt like a big car, much more so than the TL. I have read some posts that disturb me a little bit such as "thumps", wind noise etc. The Acura has a very smooth ride, that I have come to expect. The LTD seemed very smooth during the 15 minute test drive. YIKES....what to do....
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    I own an 05 LTD & serioulsy considered an 05 TL. Test drove it 3 times. I feel that the Avalon is a larger, more comfortable car & this was important to me. It also had the "smart key", which I think is great, daytime running lights & knee airbags, none of which were available on the 05 TL.

I live in the northeast and expect the Avalon to be sure footed on snow or ice covered roads, mainly because of its weight, traction & stability control, but it hasn't been put to the test in that regard yet. I have had no problems with mine, which was purchased in July. I have about 8,500 miles on it.

The TL is an impressive car backed by a better warranty & better dealer service than Toyota offers. The Avalon just had more of what was important to me. Suggestion - Make a list of the features in a new car that are important to you & see which car ends up with the most check marks. Good luck!
  • n0v8orn0v8or Member Posts: 169
    Have you reviewed the 188 posts in the "Acura TL Vs Toyota Avalon" forum?
  • hutch34hutch34 Member Posts: 34
    Hi twin4
    I owned both a 99 Acura Tl and an 03 Acura MDX I can say from experience that the Avalon Ltd. is a superior car. I was going to purchase an 05 Acura RL but decided to wait until the new Avalon came out before making a decision. I'm really glad that I waited. I especially like the extra room that the Avalon provides. I feel sure that you will be very happy with the Avalon. :)
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Thanks Mike and all of you. I will be checking in periodically to see how everyone is doing and how your Avalons are doing also. Sorry about your car Mike. Take it to a quality shop and it will be just as good as new.
    :)
    Mackabee
    I have the 06 XL. One of the reasons I bought it was the seat comfort. With the lumbar all the way back take something flat like a board, lay against seat back about 3 inches off seat, seat back should be flat all the way to headrest. Hope this helps.
  • msavalonmsavalon Member Posts: 49
    That's assuming we all are having problems with the car. We're not. I'm here to tell you, you don't know what your missing!!!! I haven't had any of the problems listed here (Thank God). This is one fine machine. I've owned this car since June and have not been the same since. Just ask my husband. ;)
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    LET US KNOW HOW YOU'RE DOING MAC. I WILL MISS YOU MY FRIEND. IF YOU EVER HEAD FOR HILTON HEAD ISLAND, EMAIL ME MAC.
  • cms1528cms1528 Member Posts: 45
    I bought a front lic. plate braket from my local auto parts shop for $1.50. Mounted it with two screws, that came with, and attached the plate. It loks great and you can't see the bracket. Still hated to attach the darn thing in the first place.
    carzak, I hope you still look in occasionally because I have an 06 with the same noise upon start up. What was your final outcome, was it ABS, and did they hopfully fix it. Any info would help.
  • algeealgee Member Posts: 78
    "(Thank God)"

So are you saying God favors you and the rest of us with troubles are God's hated children and he blesses us with troubles and favors you?

I sure hate to see those words as it makes me think you are more pious than I.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I think you are reading way too much into that comment and taking offense where none at all was meant.

A lot of people use that phrase to express happiness or relief about something whatever they think about a higher power. I'm sure there was no intention to say what you inferred.

Let's just keep our conversation focused on the Avalon.
  • scumfrogscumfrog Member Posts: 9
    I own a 2005 Avalon. I must say that it is unquestionably, the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned. I was initially impressed by the size, luxury and "bang for the buck". That all flew out the window at about 2000 miles. The front seat constantly shakes like jello! Even on small bumps. I have head liner rattle, right next to my ear, that comes and goes. New squeaks and rattles are now developing in the dashboard area. It has been in the shop, sometimes for 4 days at a time, for repairs more times than I can count. I think it has been in there 6 times. Do yourself a big favor and buy the Acura. Or an Infiniti. Or a Hyundai. Buy anything else! I was once a big believer in Toyota. I was duped! The Avalon is a collassal piece of excrement. I now am waiting for an engineer from Toyota to come and fix the problems. Great! The same nimrods that designed my "rattle-trap" are now going to fix it as per Toyota! If anybody out there would like a used Avalon, let me know. Mine will be gone in 6 months. Any Acura sales pros out there? I need a TL or an RL!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience, but please keep in mind the Forums cannot be used for buying or selling ... thanks.
  • hylynerhylyner Member Posts: 216
    Sorry, but everyone knows there is a huge difference between opinion and fact.Your opinioned experiences are highly unusual and unquestionably an exception to what most others are saying. Frankly, I don't believe what you are saying. In general, comments about the Avalon are universally positive. Consumer surveys across the board are showing the Avalon at or very close to the top.
    Personally speaking, comments like those are at least a sign of buyer's remorse or at worst a serious attempt at brand bashing. That's not what these forums are all about.
  • sumantpsumantp Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

Does anyone have recommendations for iPod connections in a 2006 Avalon Limited with JBL Synthesis audio? I'm looking for a direct connection type solution and not a FM transmitter.

Do either iPod2Car or Neo Ion work with JBL Synthesis?

• angeange Member Posts: 158
    You may not have seen the top toyota officials expressing concern about the toyota line quality recently Toyota is not listed in the top 10 best cars by jd powers this past 2005 year. I too was let down by the overall lack of small quality things through out the avalon. I expected more from the avalon series. The avalon is selling so fast they don't advertise and few are sitting in dealer lots. This bubble will burst if they don't start to take a little more time with the suppliers and assembliers.

One issue that has been disscused in this forum is
    some buyers, and not others,complain about the distortion in ther rear window. Some cars look a little flat and wrinkled in the read mirror window.This dosen't bother me but it is a negative All toyota had to do is to specify the rear window would be distortion free, just as the windshield is. ange1
  • hylynerhylyner Member Posts: 216
    Avalon is judged by most surveys to be a great automobile for the price by any standard. I would like to see a link where their execs are saying what you say they are. If you can't find that then post the entire list of JD power ratings. If they aren't in the top 10 I'll bet they are pretty darn close to it. Overall rating for the 2005 model Quality and Reliability by JD Power is 5 stars according to their site. Same for Consumer Reports, MSN, and just about every other survey on the planet.
    I took exception to what that poster was saying and decided to say something about it. It was plainly irresponsible ranting and has no basis of fact and no place in forums like this one.
    twin4 - I also had the TL high on my shopping list and it is a very fine car - but, quite different than any of the Avalons. The TL tries very hard, and is somewhat successful at being a sports sedan - meaning a tighter suspension, more road feel and road noise, higher handling limits - it falls just a tad short primarily because of the dynamics of front wheel drive. The Avalon, on the other hand, a slightly larger car and not a sports sedan by almost any definition, except, of course, that power. Smoother and quieter and much more isolating than the TL, even in the Touring 'sports' model which is 'tighter' - the Avalon, much more of a luxury sedan - more like a Lexus. Your choice - you won't actually go wrong with either! I ended up in the Av Touring.
    I have an 06 XL with an engin noise, like a diesel, at low
    rpm when warm, not just cold, have you gotten any resolution about the noise. I am supposed to see an regional tech soon. Any info would help. I'll post what the tech tells me. To be factual though not as loud as a diesel but simular. My Avalon has less than 2k.
  • sghattysghatty Member Posts: 2
    I am contemplating buying an Avalon. The navigation system is important to me. When I test drove the car, both the salesman and I had trouble getting the voice recognition system on the NAV to work. I would appreciate comments on the NAV system. Is there a trick to getting the system to understand the voice commands? Are the directions accurate?
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    Well said, Pat.
    What is the world coming to? Someone can't even say "Thank God" without offending the sensibilities of some politically correct introspect? Would some profane expletive, or verbal homage to the satanic forces that demonize some Avalons be more socially acceptable?
    Merry Christmas and Happy Hannukah in advance to all those who remain unoffended.
    To keep this on topic, my Avalon transmission behaves much better when driving in S5 than in D. Not sure whether this is due to an Act of God or not! Thanks for the tip havalongavalon....
  • donb1donb1 Member Posts: 49
    I had posted several times back in the spring. I had a 2001 TL and was looking at the 2005 TL. I really liked the car and was sooooo close to buying it. I eventually took teh Avalon for several tests drives and finally came down on the side of the Avalon XLS.

The now style TL is great but it does not handle or rideAAVa;anywhere near how the 2001 did. The ride was much harsher and the seats much harder. My wife really did not like the seats at all. The new TL did have some features I really liked but I could not get on the XLS. Getting a Limited at
    the time I was buying was nearly impossible. I am very happy with the Avalon. As an aside, my wife liked the 2001 TL so much she kept it and we traded her Camry in on the Avalon. I also like the room in the Avalon and it is a good deal quieter on the road
    surprised your wife didn't 'inherit' the XLS! They do have a way of doing such things?
  • geoshillgeoshill Member Posts: 27
    I guess I'm one of the "silent majority" too. I've only put 900 miles on my '06 XLS, and I have yet to experience ANY problems of ANY kind. I have a hearing aid and don't hear any rattles. squeeks or what ever. All the little doors work and it is very comfortable for me. Now my kids want to borrow it for long trips.
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    To keep this on topic, my Avalon transmission behaves much better when driving in S5 than in D. Not sure whether this is due to an Act of God or not! Thanks for the tip havalongavalon...

AND A DEEP VOICE WAS HEARD ALL OVER THE AVALON FORUM:

You are most welcome, alan_s, my Son!

;)

And a Merry Christmas and Happy Hannukah to all!

HO, HO, HO, HA, HA, HA,... havalongavalon
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    This week we got a huge amount of snow in Vancouver, over 20 cm, very unusual for this area. Snow trucks didn't come out for a while, and I'm very impressed with Avalon's traction control and braking in the snow and also some icy patches.

It was fun to easily handle a steep, curvy, snow-covered drive into the local high school lot, that was partially blocked by a hopelessly stranded neighbour's RWD BMW 540i that couldn't make it either up or back down, and was waiting for the snow to be cleared... I mischievously suggested that her next car should be FWD or AWD, to which she replied "I know... but it's so fun to drive! (in good weather...)" Well, I think that a car that will reliably move when and where I want it to, in ALL weather conditions, is a lot more fun to drive!

havalongavalon
  • kldunningskldunnings Member Posts: 2
    For the most part, the NAV system is pretty accurate. The only thing I've noticed is that it may sometimes may tell you to turn the wrong way down a one way street. I however, have not had any problems with the system understanding voice commands.
    for those of you that really thought that Toyota really had derated the engines from 05 to 06. MT, in its COTY testing, just ran a '06 Ltd - 6.1 to 60, 14.8 @97 quarter. Very, very similar to the '05 Touring C&D ran last summer(6.0, 14.7 @99). Insignificant differences, and certainly one of the quickest sedans on the road - so although I suspect both tests were done with premium gas - the '06 has every bit the engine as the '05! So 280 or 268 - be happy!
  • gschultz3gschultz3 Member Posts: 134
    I have never tried very hard to make mine work but it seems to be useless. I have decided that it is my low voice? I doubt if any of them work that well since they must be 99% accurate to save any time.
  • gschultz3gschultz3 Member Posts: 134
    Does the sound continue after you have driven a few miles?