Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    Yes, I have done a search and have not found a "fix" (it is not the seat, glove box, seat belt or rear shade). The rattle is on the passenger side of the car and seems that it is only noticeable when the temperature is below freezing. I have had my 2005 Limited back to the dealer twice already and although they hear "it" during a test drive, they can't find and fix "it". I am going back to the shop next week and again leaving it for the day.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Since loss of traction on a FWD vehicle can be so much more hazardous than RWD the Trac off capability is usually only on RWD with Trac.

I don't think I have EVER seen a VSC "off" capability except the PSM on a Porsche and even then the Trac functionality does not turn off and PSM (VSC "equivalent)" will be re-enabled if you even touch the brakes lightly.
  • regisregis Member Posts: 94
    "I don't think I have EVER seen a VSC "off" capability except the PSM on a Porsche"

My former Avalon (2000 XLS) had the option of turning off the VCS. Or was it my 1996 Avalon? Anyway one of them had the option to disable VCS.
  • 05avforum05avforum Member Posts: 25
    My 2003 Honda Odyssey had a button on the dash to disable the traction control. Not sure if this was the same as VSC.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/crown.html

The Crown Concept's innovative styling and superior driving performance makes a shift in the Crown's concept of being "stationary" to being "active," raising the traditional feeling of hospitality to the world's highest level so as to propose the ideal for a next-generation luxury class sedan.

It seems like there is a very good chance that the Crown is coming over here. So the question is will the Crown replace the Avalon as Toyota's flagship sedan or will it be a notch above the Avalon in terms of luxury and performance ??
  • donb1donb1 Member Posts: 49
    Dan

I have the EXACT same problem. It drives me nuts. The dealer said it was the sunroof and nothing can be done. I think it is BS. I had my son listen and he thinks it is something where the dash is touching something like the windshield. It goes away as soon as the car warms up a little bit. I am thinking I will put some anti squeak felt along the dash to see if it stops. I will let you know if it does anything
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Japan always has many models that are exclusive to Japan.

If if were to come, it would likely be a replacement to the Avalon so there would be more separation from the Camry, but more likely it wouldn't come since Toyota would not want a vehicle even more expensive than the Avalon that would further dilute the worth of getting a lower end Lexus.
    Thanks, Don. I have my third appointment on Tuesday and I'm really hoping that this time they fix this very annoying problem. This is my fourth new Toyota and, unless this rattle is fixed, it will be my last Toyota. The service advisor told me that they have had a number of rattle problems that they have not been able to resolve. Short of moving to a warmer climate, I'm at my wits end. If I can't get this rattle resolved, I'll contact Toyota for one last try before I sell my Avalon.

I consider myself a reasonable guy, but a $38K should not sound like a 20 year old car.
  • stlmostlmo Member Posts: 40
    Don & Dan, Our 05 Limited seems to do the same (or similar) thing. When below freezing, and only until the interior warms up, there is a noise coming from the passenger side when any sort of bumps are encountered. It seems to be at the passenger dash and is not so much a rattle in the normal sense as a really irritating noise that is hard to describe. More like something between a rattle and some sort of squeek. It really sounds like the "wood" dash trim strip interacting with/against the dash pad material itself. :confuse:

As an aside, our front wheel drive Bonneville SLE had a traction control switch.
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    The new Dodge charger has a VSC on-off switch on the dash. ange1
  • lmf101lmf101 Member Posts: 4
    My 2004 Crossfire also had a dash switch. Traded it for the 06 Limited - now thats a contrast!
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    I have fixed a number of rattles/noises in my Avalon. If you can better describe where you think the noise is coming from and what it sounds like, I'd be happy to make some suggestions.
    Can the noise be reproduced by pushing or gently moving any panels?
    Try pushing on the top of the dash, pushing the glovebox, air vents, pillar covers etc. Move upwards and press on the headliner, moonroof cover etc.
    Can the sound be heard from outside the car? Try driving with the passenger window open. For example, a suspension-induced noise may sound like a dash noise.
    Sounds can be deflected and also travel, so sometimes the source of the noise is a distance away from where it sounds like it is coming from.
    If if were to come, it would likely be a replacement to the Avalon so there would be more separation from the Camry

Agreed. The new Camry is just like the Avalon albeit a tad smaller in terms of performance and luxury. So it naturally makes sense to make the next Avalon or whatever is replacing it to move higher up the luxury and power quotient.
    ...just one problem. The Crown is a SMALLER car than either the Camry or Avalon. Check the dimensions on the Japanese website. For this reason I think it is unlikely to be an Avalon replacement and more likely to be a more sporty RWD alternative like the case with Lexus ES and Lexus IS.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    So, it probably isn't going to come to the US as I said was the most likely scenario.
    Japananse market sedan.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    What a lot of folks don't know, I guess, is that the Avalon (as well as the new Camry) are more 'American' than most of what GM, Ford, Chrysler make. The Avalon designed in Calif., engineered and built in Ky., almost entirely American as opposed Mexican built Fords, Canadian built Chevys, and German sourced Chryslers. And the cars that Toyota/Lexus puts on the US market are specifically designed for the US market - meaning generally larger (and softer) cars. So what Toyota does in Japan has very little to do with what it does here, and expect it to stay that way.
    I only wish that Toyota would make us a RWD Avalon, but can't imagine that they would actually do it - the Lexus dealer is already losing LS sales to those customers that put more value in $25k than they do the better vehicle dynamics and upgraded fit/finish of the LS. The Avalon as a RWD car would create even more of a problem for Lexus. As it is the Avalon is larger and quicker than the current LS (new LS460 coming), and also leaves the ES and GS300 in the dust. To make the Avalon any better, creates more problems for that higher priced (and more profitable) Lexus brand.
    The Avalon's competition (other than Lexus)- more likely the 07 Camry, the Azera, the 300, and possibly that relabelled DTS called the Lucerne (with the V8). But, I wouldn't expect Toyota to make any major changes in the Avalon (other than cosmetics) over the next several years.
    Thank you for your offer to help. Although I'm not complaining, we are experience somewhat of a heat wave in the Boston area ( 50's ), so as soon as it gets cold enough, I'll try your suggestions and post my findings. Also, my Avalon is going back to the dealer on Tuesday to, once again, have them try to fix this.
  • tkevinc1tkevinc1 Member Posts: 30
    My 06 touring now has 2500 miles. Although I still find the car superb and fun to drive, it has developed two of the major issues on these posts. First the transmission started having problems finding a gear. Several times I have punched it at a speed in excess of 45 mph and the rpms have gone all the way to redline, held for two seconds and then the car finally found a gear. Dealer is very closed mouth about this and will not acknowledge or deny an issue.?.?.? The other is the engine knocking. It does sound very much like one of the newer diesel motors. The dealer states that it is the quality of gas these days and states I should use a fuel injector cleaner immediately before the injectors become "varnished". Not likely in 2500 miles. Anyone have any luck at all in getting either of these issues resolve recently?
  • j_hbrockj_hbrock Member Posts: 32
    Any changes over 2006 model.

(sorry if this has been discussed already - - couldn't find anything)
    tkevinc1:
    I had the same transmission issues you describe. You may see some of my previous posts on this forum. The dealer eventually reset the transmission management system to factory default and the problem seems to have gone away. The alleged "intelligent" adaptive transmission apparently can develop an irregular shift pattern, and needs to be reset to restore "normal" operation. Pretty dumb in my opinion, and obviously a software bug. I recently drove an ES330 and it had the same problem only WORSE.
    Re engine knocking - I switched to synthetic oil and the engine runs quieter. It still has some of that diesel knock initially when cold, but it warms up within a few minutes and the knock goes away.
    The Crown name is used ubiquitously on several different models in Japan - a bit like Oldmobile used to plaster Cutlass over everything a few years ago.
    The particular upper-level Crown model shown on www.toyota.com under Concept vehicles, is called the Crown Athlete in Japan and is built on the same platform as the Lexus GS430 and depending on grade, is available with either 3 liter V6 or 4.3 liter V8 engines. The luxury version of these Crown models (Crown Majesta) are considered just below the Celsior (LS430) in status in Japan.
    While I don't think they will be Avalon replacements because of their smaller size, I wouldn't rule out Toyota bringing the Crown to the US in addition to the existing Avalon.
    What confuses me is that Toyota and Lexus already have a very crowded and somewhat cannibalistic selection of models in the $30k - $40K segment. Where is there room for the Crown?
    The distinction between upper level Toyota models and Lexus models is already blurred, and as Toyota has recently learned with the new Avalon, Lexus and Toyota buyers do cross shop the brands in that segment, taking sales away from the more profitable Lexus models. The new Camry looks like it could eat into Avalon sales, so perhaps the Avalon XL will disappear. The new ES350 needs to move upmarket away from Avalon without crowding the GS300 which is saddled with a smaller engine than the IS, Avalon or new Camry and costs more money. A GS350 would threaten the GS430 in performance... perhaps the GS300 will go away - all very complicated and very interesting to watch!
  • slider7slider7 Member Posts: 33
    Look up piston slap, then call your service manager for an appointment and have the Factory Zone Rep there as well. Get thick-skinned. Conversation, excuses, and fuzzyfeelgoods costs them nothing. It's the gas, it's the engine breaking in, it's the additive you use, that's normal for this type of vehicle, you're not putting the gas cap on tight enough, its the "lead piston" on start up, we'll refund your extended warranty and give you a free 100,000 mile warranty, blah, blah, blah.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Alan, but in the same vein you would be amazed how many people have no clue that Lexus is made by Toyota.
    :shades:
    Mackabee
  • tkaztkaz Member Posts: 69
    Thought I would list my two cents worth of my impressions with my '06 LTD. My impressions were based on comparisons to my '99 Chrysler LHS (I am still using for long trips and for parking at the airport)which has 151K miles and my wife's '05 Sienna LTD AWD. Had a chance to make a business trip from NY to VA and NC this past week. Put on 1200 miles in 3 days. Gassed up in NJ and VA as they have the lowest prices. Used regular gas, as always. First tank gave me 31.0 MPG with an average speed of 69. Second tank was 30.7MPG with an average speed of 67 (had lots of traffic)

Goodness:
    Comfort - no stiffness after the 450 mile straight thru drive except for one stop for gas.
    Good visibility.
    Very quiet interior. Especially noted when passing trucks.
    Like outside dichromatic outside mirrors at night.
    Headlights gave good coverage at night - both hi and low beams.
    Small XM antenna on rear deck works well. Only real drop out was going through Baltimore tunnel. Worked so well that CD's didn't get used.
    Rear deck screen sure helps with low setting sun behind you.
    Pickup and quiet engine are wonderful.
    Good legroom for driver.
    Laser cruise control works well. Wouldn't buy a car without it anymore.
    Like extra sweep of wipers when cleaning the windshield.
    Like backlit buttons on steering wheel.
    NAV worked well even though I don't need it for this frequently traveled trip.
    Center handrest is at perfect height for me. I like that it slides forward for more comfort.
    Heated seats work well. Have to wait till warm weather to see how blowing air through the seats works.

Annoying things:
    Regular brake pads make brake dust. Hopefully can get ceramic pads for the LTD when needed. My ceramic pads on the LHS lasted for 110K miles with little brake dust.
    Garage door buttons should be backlit like steering wheel buttons.
    Why is the XM radio limited to 10 characters? My Delphi XM radio shows all the info.
    Exterior miorrors should fold in.
    Some road noise from Michelin tires. But tires stuck well to the road in rain.
    Much easier to enter info into NAV on Sienna with touch screen. Joystick is not real easy for big fingers. Some voice commands work well and some not so well.
    Need extensions on visors when used on side windows to cover the sun.
    Speedometer should go to 120MPH so speed reading could be spread out more.
    Outside temp should be displayed all the time next to the compass heading.
    Trip info screen should be a one button selection like to get to climate and audio screens.
    Reset of trip info, MPG, distance should be manually reset by driver, not when filling the tank.
    Can't get door locks setup to lock at 12MPH using directions in the manual. Have to have dealer take care of it at 5K oil change.
    Wish trunk was somewhat larger.

I like the car. It was a good decision to buy it. Now if I can only combine the good features of the Sienna, LHS and Avalon. Let's see what lasts longer - LHS or Avalon?
    Tony
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    tkaz -

Excellent summary - I agree almost exactly with your impressions. A couple of things -

I have chromed the wheels on my 05 Limited, and the brake dust does not stick to the wheels - no problem with brake dust whatsoever.

The sun visors do slide backward to help block the sun from the back/side. My old 2000 Avy has sliding extensions, which I wish the new one had, but at least with the new Avy you can slide the entire visor back and forth as needed.

Happy motoring.

Max
  • bahraini_zuprabahraini_zupra Member Posts: 98
    hi guys

are there anyone who can get me thoes stock side mirrors with LED turn signals ?
    cuz my limited avalon dosent comes with that only the parking light under the mirror !
    plz if someone could find me used ones in blizzard color would be appreciated

thanks

ali
    I like the look of the chromed wheels. Haven't found anyone near me that does it. Would you mind saying what it cost to have done?
    Tony
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    Does anyone know if you can get a spoiler kit for bottom portion of the car.....i.e. front, back, and both sides?
    And if so....how much?
    Also......good question about having the rims chromed?
    How is that done? How long does it take? How much?
    Thanks in advance!
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    Tony -

I exchanged my rims for chromed ones, same style. Took 1 or 2 days waiting to get them (I kept the car), then an hour or so to do the exchange. They keep the original rims. Cost me about $700 including labor, balancing, etc.

Had it done at Service Tire Co in Van Nuys, CA. Obviously in LA there are a zillion places to get wheels. Don't know about where you live.

Max
  • j_hbrockj_hbrock Member Posts: 32
    Any changes over 2006 model.

(sorry if this has been discussed already - - couldn't find anything)
  • jjr1jjr1 Member Posts: 16
    Went to service dept. for noise. Prior to going had two mechanic friends listen to noise, both thought it was a lifter. Both said they would not be concerned. Service manager said knock or tick not from bottom of engine and possibly a lifter. We drove another Avalon (XL) and noise seemed to be nearly the same. The manager said lifter noise (mild) would not affect engine life. He said an old saying is a noisy lifter is a happy lifter. Considering all of this and mind you it is not a loud noise, I think I will give it some time. As one of my mechanic friends said
    that if it is something bad it should get worse while still
    in warranty.
    Expect a 6 speed auto instead of five.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    the 3.5 liter in the Avalon and IS now, and the Camry this spring - the first really high performance engine Toyota/Lexus has done and would expect it to supplant the 3.0 and 3.3 liter engines in both lines. The current 4.3 V8 also to be phased out with a 4.6 that is anticipated at 330hp or so will certainly give the LS a little more competitive punch. It would seem logical for Lexus to use the Avalon platform for a new ES350, but at that size and with that engine (and assumming a price of $40k) don't they cost themselves those more profitable LS sales - in the same way that a number of Av owners couldn't justify the extra $25k (or more)?
    Expect that the new Camry, especially with the V6, to open with rave reviews and to poach not only Avalon sales but also Lexus - as the waters become more muddied. As you say, interesting to watch!
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    The Avalon length is similar to the new Lexus LS460, 3-4" longer than the new Camry, and 3-4" shorter than the new Lexus 460L. This is the Avalon's niche. Distinctly longer than Camry, and best value for its length. They had to create a stretched version of LS to keep up with Mercedes... and to keep some distance from Avalon.

Will there ever be an Avalon L? Most likely not. That would definitely infringe too much into Lexus territory.

havalongavalon
  • johndjrjohndjr Member Posts: 80
    Recently there was a discussion in regards to what mpg people were getting vs what is posted on the label.
    The following is copied from the Toyota Question and answer web page.
    It may well answer some of the questions as to why you and I don't get what is posted on the label.
    It is just a controlled test so that the playing field is level for ALL cars.

"The EPA fuel economy tests are conducted in a laboratory that simulates conditions to allow repeatable test
    results. Tests are conducted at an ambient temperature between 68–86°F with the vehicle’s air conditioning
    turned off. The highway mpg test simulates a 10-mile trip with no stops and an average speed of 48 mph.
    The city miles-per-gallon (mpg) test simulates a 7.5-mile trip with 18 stops and an average speed of 20 mph.
    Both EPA tests simulate driving on a level, dry, straight road. Though the tests reflect a portion of real-world
    driving conditions, actual driving is highly variable. The EPA results serve as a guide by which all vehicles can
    be compared. Many vehicles, when driven in real-world conditions, may not achieve the EPA-estimated fuel
    economy figures."
  • autoteachautoteach Member Posts: 1
    Check to see if anyone have a 2005 Avalon Service Manual that gives information on internal engine parts. If the 3.5 uses forged pistons instead of cast, that could be the cause of the engine noise on cold start ups. Forged pistons are stronger than cast and to control heat expansion they are "cam ground". This means that they are oval when cold and become round when they heat up. This can cause a rapping noise on a cold engine. If the pistons are cast, I would put up with the noise knowing that they would be more durable in the long run.
  • limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    I think you mean you'd put up with the forged. I asked my dealer's parts department and they didn't know.
  • weavercityweavercity Member Posts: 11
    My 2005 Avalon XLS with 7K miles on it isn't doing as well as the Buick that it replaced during its first 7K. I like the Avalon for its spacious back seat, visibility and a number of other things. It has a way to go to measure up to how my Buick Regal behaved. I'm still stumped as to why the Avalon transmission hasn't learned when to shift and which gear is appropriate for the grade, load and power applied. Meantime I've accumulated rust stains all over my garage floor from rust that continues to drain out of the twin misalligned tail pipes. Anyone know how to remove rust stains from concrete? I guess I should be grateful that I don't have the engine knocking issue that has been taking up a lot of space on this board. :confuse:
    I have read others are getting rust stains from the stainless steel exhaust system.I don't know of the product name but the chemical needed is sodium bisulfite. It is acidic but it combines with the rust oxygen and then dissolves. Don't add an alkaline cleaner, or bleach as these make the rust harder to remove. I would go to the hardware place and ask for a rust remover.

I have seen rust at the end of my avalon tailpipes. I know 316 stainless and some some other lower grades do not rust. I believe the cheaper grades of stainless do rust.

Short drives cause moisture to condense in exhaust systems.The metal does not get hot enough to heat it up enough to pass through and dry the pipes. In normal steel exhausts, short trips, cause excessive muffler system corrosion.

I trust the listing of stainless exhaust system is not like the first item listed on the 2005 window sticker re HP. ange1
    You probably can order them from a USA toyota dealer. I had my right one off because it was not lined up straight.They are easy to remove and replace.The lower bolt hole was drilled off line. A little grinding to enlarge the opening got it straight. ange1
  • avalonxls1avalonxls1 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased an 06' Toyota Avalon XLS from Westbury Toyota. I come home and go on the website to look more into the cars feature and I see that the car is supposed to have a smart key? Mine has a remote and you need to put the key in and turn to start it up. There is no push button start. Since I bought this yesturday is there a way for me to have the dealership give me a car with the smart key which they didnt tell me comes with the car? :cry:
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Forged pistons are used mainly in racing applications. They are generally lighter and much stronger than a cast piston to take severe use. They also need different rings. It's possible the '06 Avalon has them, but not likely. Cost is much higher per unit than cast and there is the noise factor as you mention (forged has about 8 times the space of cast between the piston and the cylinder wall when cold, thus the noise). Any knocking is probably something else. Hope this helps....
  • rodc2rodc2 Member Posts: 26
    Only the "Limited" trim line has the push button (keyless)start feature.
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    Any brochure or online info source clearly states that the smart access push button start system only comes on the limited model. In the 05 model it was an option.....on the 06 it is standard on the limited model only.....
    oooopppsssss......the dealership can do nothing for you....
    Hate to say it....but buyer beware.....just enjoy your XLS anyways...... Happy Motoring!
  • avaloncruiseravaloncruiser Member Posts: 19
    FYI, Smart Key was also standard on the '05 Limited.
  • gotthawantzgotthawantz Member Posts: 6
    ME TOO. I LOVE my new 06 Avalon Limited, it's black and is VERY nice, and Toyota is a fabulous maker. I will never buy another car unless they go really down hill. My 06 has zero problems, and I bought it $3500. under MSRP, and EVERYONE looks and comments on it, It is very beautifil, and gets many eyes. I love the push button start, the auto lights, wipers, etc. The heated and cooled seats are great too.. My fav part is that I can start it for warming up from inside the house, and I never have to get out of my houseshoes, it's all warm and cozy when I go out to get in it. I bought from Landers Toyota in Little Rock Arkansas, and they TOO are faboluos, and the only dealer that I have EVER been to, where the are honest, don't try to financially knock you legs off, and they really are working for YOU. and one lesson should be, "these people who are buying cars and then dissatisfied with the finish inside, back glass, etc.. ARE YOU NOT ABLE TO LOOK AT THE CAR "BEFORE" YOU BUY??? DUH- check it out. I told our salesmen to juat leave me alone, go away, and let me LOOK... I have FOUND ZERO problems. Hope this helps!
  • retgunpltretgunplt Member Posts: 3
    smart key comes on the limited, not the XLS ;)
    Loud rattle,
    I had the same problem with a 99 XLS. Was there almost from the start of driving it off the lot. Took many trips before a good old boy mechnic in AL figured it out. Toyota could not. Said I must be hearing things. It was the turntable on top of the strut, once replaced rattle was gone ;)
    had similar problem with 99 AV XLS. Turned out to be the turntable on top of the right strut. Was there almost from the moment I bought the car new. :confuse:
  • mneuliepmneuliep Member Posts: 3
    I got my Avalon a couple of weeks ago so I thought I'd post my experience so far. I was considering the Maxima and the Avalon. The Maxima bundled the stability control option with a sunroof, and I could get the Avalon with stability control without a sunroof, so since I wanted the stability control, the Avalon won out even though I think you get more bells and whistles for the money with a Maxima. (I'm tall so no car with a sunroof works for me.)

I am actually enjoying the car more each day I drive it. The car initially seemed to ride a lot harsher than I remember my test drive so I checked the tires and they were inflated to 44PSI! Lowering that to the recommended 30PSI made the car handle and ride like I remembered it: great. Very quiet and everything works with no problem.

The only annoyances are pretty minor: I think Toyota's 'flagship' ought to come with Bluetooth at this point. I would have rather had rear seats that fold down as opposed to reclining. No coin holder. Nothing in the storage compartment to hold CD jewel cases in place.

One interesting episode related to a feature: The owner's manual points out that the car's response to the remote door lock/unlock can be customized. You can choose to have the lights flash, a beep sound, both, or neither. My wife and I find the beeps from seemingly everywhere these days to be annoying so I wanted to turn that off. Unfortunately, the user can't change this. The manual says the dealer has to do it. I went to get this done and the service department wanted a $90 service visit for this. I made it pretty clear that I had no intention of paying that much money to set a feature that should have been user adjustable in the first place. Eventually the service manager agreed to do it for free, but it took them ages to figure out how to do it. It took a call to Toyota HQ for them to find the right spot in the diagnostic computer's menu for the option.

Overall a fantastic car initially: plenty fast, smooth, not a sports car but handles well, plenty of room, quiet, nice quality interior. No buyer's remorse here.