Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Dodge Ram - II

Comments

• nascar6nascar6 Member Posts: 113
    Does that $34671 price include any advertising fees? What about any other documentation-type fees? You seem like you have the same truck I want to order except I'll get (and probably wait on) the 6-speed. Did you get the 8' bed or the 6.5?
    Which axle ratios did you get?

Dave's 4x4,
    I see that you got the 3.54s with the limited slip diff. hooked to your diesel. According to the dealer I went to, such a combination can't exist. I told him that I thought that was only the case if you ordered a V-10, then you had to get a 4.10 ratio. The salesman said "well that's what the computer printed out, and we are updated from Chrysler constantly". Another thing about this dealer (and their computer too), was that they wanted to charge me $330 for the HD service group. I was quick to point out that it was plainly printed on his sheet under the diesel engine heading, that it was included with the diesel. *Whew* 86 that dealership!

On to the next dealer.....

nascar6
  • indyff83indyff83 Member Posts: 13
    The axle is a 3.54 with the locking diff. I also have the 6.5 bed because my wife thought it didn't look as big and it will still fit in my garage. Heres what the dealer quoted me on the rest of the pricing; sales tax 5%, Documentation Fee of $64.50, and tire tax of $1.25 per. He also said if it comes in lower, since he didn't have the 2001 price sheets yet, my price would go down. I do too much city driving to work that big ol clutch with a knee that has been shredded and put back together. You may be able to beat this price but the service I received from the dealership was well worth the price. I just got my VON # yesterday and will be checking on it today! The reason I went with the auto because we will probably only pull a boat with the max lenght of 25 ft and the ease of city driving with it. My guy said nothing about not being able to get the 3.54 and the locking diff, he did say that the locking diff axles were on restriction when we ordered because they are getting ready to get away from the danas. So maybe that dealer was reading his paperwork wrong!
  • comptimecomptime Member Posts: 19
    I have a 01 2500 quad 4X4 V10 with the 3.5 rear and anti spin rear. Heavy duty package also comes with the V10 which means you are only paying $70 for the V10 .
  • nascar6nascar6 Member Posts: 113
    Seems like the price I received on the truck I want is way too high compared to what you dudes paid. Hope to go to another dealer friday, (a 5-star establishment for what that's worth). Will keep you posted.

nascar6
    -watching the Daytona 500 Sunday! Go Mark
  • eric16eric16 Member Posts: 38
    Mine is 2001 Qcab 4X4 auto, tow, camper, 4.10, anti spin, short bed, AM/FM cass/cd, rear slider window, Cummins 5.9l. Sticker was 37,350 with dealer discount and Farm bearu discount 30,701 plus 5% tax,tire tax, advertising fee for a total 32,256 out the door.

Eric16
  • bmckenziebmckenzie Member Posts: 118
    Dave,
    Went to Nebraska over the long weekend, pulled down 17.2 MPG traveling between 74 to 79 MPH out of the Cummins. The truck is a handful in the snow without any weight in the back....Bill
  • dresslereddresslered Member Posts: 60
    I've been wondering what happened to you. Just found out that my truck was inspected and released from the factory as of 2/19. I think that I'm going to wet my pants! This waiting thing is just too much. Last I heard is that "the beast" is waiting for a car on the Western Union (as there was no railroad car no. available yet). Once I have the car no. I can track its progress to California. Why don't you just go pick it up for me and bring it to Anaheim!

Been learning a lot at the TDR web site-are you a member? In fact the latest issue just arrived today and I haven't opened the cover yet-if I do I'll be ignorant to the world for the next three hours.

Tell me, I'm really starting to consider the over-the-rail Line-x bedliner. Somebody over at the TDR says that it is a must for a slide-in camper. I called the nearest Line-X shop (100-miles away) and they said that they can do the job in two-hours. I might just make a day of it.

You mileage is incredible! How many miles do you have on it now? I heard that it sometimes takes as long as 30,000 miles to really break-in the motor and thus experience your "true" mileage. But it does sound like you tend to work your truck so you will probably see it much earlier. Gotta run,

-ddd
  • syr2syr2 Member Posts: 1
    Have any of you purchased a vehicle through the CostCo Auto buying program?
    Congrats Nascar6! My truck is listed on post #155 and during the waiting period, time seems to come to a complete stop! I think that you made a good choice getting this current body style as I am not quite sure I like what I've heard for the 2002's.

Sysr2: My advice would be to figure out what you want and then to send email to all the fleet managers in your area. The one that is willing to send you a quote back is probably the one you want to deal with. Also, check out www.dodgeram.com as there is a dealer survey section and you might get lucky finding one in your area. Autobytel, Carsatcost, Costco, etc. all take a cut. They in turn, deal with the fleet managers, which you could do yourself. Just my opinion, and good luck.

-ddd
    Dave,
    I have 6700 miles now, no problems at all to this point, and you now I have been pulling some loads to get that Cummins broke in. I am not a member of TDR yet, but I will be probably after I move to Cowabunga in April. I am going right but the Dodge truck factory in Fenton today at
    5:00 P.M. do you want me to swing buy and get your Diesel Rig? I am buying a Camper shell today in St. Louis, I got a great deal on a Jason Fiberglass Extreme Shell for $595.00, it has two small surface cracks from shipping and handling. Shells are so much cheaper here then in California, that same shell would cost me about $1300.00 in California, and only $995.00 here. Why is the Line-X type liner a preferred liner for Slide-in Campers? are Snap-in Bedliners not preferred? give me some insight.......Bill
    Ya Bill, just swing by and get my truck. The keys should be in the glove box.

Sounds like you got a great deal on the camper shell. I'm afraid to get one myself because we might never get the slide-in Lance if I do! From what I have been hearing at the TDR site (by the way the magazine is fantastic!), the spray in liners are best for slide in campers. They say that the drop-in liners will allow the camper to move too much. I personally don't know how they can move around once everything is secured down. Also, it seems that the Line-X is preferred over the Rhino. Rhino is supposably a more rubber like feeling while the Line-X is hard. Any opinions? One thing that is attractive about the drop-ins though, is the fact that they are removable and they do have beer (I mean Pepsi) holders on the tailgate.

-ddd
    Dave,
    I like the Fosters Beer/Oil can holders on the Tailgate, I mean Big Gulp Holders. A guy I work with here, his wife works at the plant, if you give me numbers for your truck, he will see if any special care can be given for shipping your rig early, she is somewhat high on the food chain from what I understand.......Bill
    Your fantastic! I just called DC and they were able to give me my Union Pacific Railroad Car Number. The "Beast" found its way into North Plate, Nebraska yesterday morning. It is scheduled to arrive in Benecia, California on Monday (then it will probably take at least another week to make it the final 100-mile journey).
    DC also told me that since I'm a friend of Bill's, that they put it in a climate controlled railroad car by itself wrapped in tissue paper.

-ddd
    Dave,
    Let me now if the stake pockets arrive okay, with your luck the the railway will have a strike 100 miles out from the Bay area, and we will have to do a night recon ops. with night vision and pyro.......Bill
    So far everyone has been getting the stake pockets! Did I start that rumor? I've already checked the weather report for the route ahead. I figure if the train gets stuck, the Ram will just have to pull it out! Word is no strikes at Union Pacific.

-ddd
  • indyff83indyff83 Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone know if they ship by truck if you are within a certain number of hours from where your vehicle is being built? My '01 QC sport, 4x4, cummins, etc., is being built in St. Louis and I'm just 5hrs away here in Indy. I was just kind of wondering since my approx. build date is 3/7 with an approx ship date of 3/9. I think I am driving the sales manager crazy with questions about how long it will take to get some add ons put on. Any input would greatly be appreciated. Kevin
  • heydanoheydano Member Posts: 1
    I ordered my truck through the costco program it basically listed the dealer & fleet manager to talk to at the dealership. When I went in he asked to see my card and then quoted me a price over invoice. Costco was not really involved other than having the flyers listing the dealer to talk to and having to show your membership card. I ordered my truck from Kearny Mesa Dodge (now Balboa Dodge) in San Diego late June of 99. Allocation had it that I had to order a 2000 and wait til August for it to be built. It finally arrived mid October and I've been happy ever since. After all the financial paper work was done it actually only cost me about $350 over invoice (finance managers math) and they threw in a full 35 gallons of diesel at no charge to boot. Hope that helps. Dan
  • eddieo3eddieo3 Member Posts: 4
    PICK UP MY 2500 4X4 DIESEL 2/17/00
    ON 2/19/00 POPED OUT FIFTH GEAR NO MORE 5TH GEAR.
    DEALER SAID DRIVE IT TILL NEW COMES IN 1 WEEK, 2 WEEK WAITING, NO TRANS ? DODGE SAID DON'T OPEN
    TRANS, DODGE WANTS LOOK INSIDE TO FINE
    PROBLEM. DEALER SAID THIS PROBLEM IS ACROSS THE WHOLE USA GREAT. I Wait 2 years for dodge to get the bugs out and I end up with one. ED
    NO MORE SIX SPEED.
  • eric16eric16 Member Posts: 38
    I ordered mine from Bill Roberson Dodge in Greencastle In. Mine came by truck, took about a day or two with all the dropoffs.

Eric16
  • heidi8heidi8 Member Posts: 12
    ok dodge diesel owners, i need some info please. i have a 2k-3500-td-6sp with 10,300 miles. those miles came from a long trip pulling a 11,400 lb 5th wheel to the baja and back. when pulling hard in 2-3-4-5 speed anywhere above 2100 rpm, there comes a strange sound from the tranny-clutch area. it sounds like the tranny is trying to turn but holding on to the gear lever doesn't indicate that. is anyone experiencing something like this. also, occasionally its hard to start. like a gas engine flooded. any help is appreciated before going to the dealer
  • shook1shook1 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2000 Ford Superduty V10 and am not too happy about it so far. At this point I am seriously considering jumping ship and trying a Dodge 2500 V10. What I am looking for is some honest facts about Dodge reliability in their transmissions and the over all integrity. I am looking at an auto since I have had manuals all my life.Are the dodge auto's holding up to the V10? I hear problems with brakes, and transmissions the most. Any input would be greatly appreciated. This is not a Ford versus Dodge question, just a guy looking at buying the best rig for the money. Oh, not even interested in diesel, so forget about Cummins.
  • gwmooregwmoore Member Posts: 230
    According to Automotive News the next generation
    Ram will discontinue the Cummins and utilize a
    Mercedes diesel. Here is an excerpt:

"It is unclear which Mercedes engine will be used.
    Mueller said a common-rail diesel injection engine
    might be the choice. These engines are designed
    for passenger vehicles and range in size from 2.0
    liters to 4.0 liters. But a manager with Dodge
    powertrain development in Auburn Hills, Mich., said his team has been working on packaging the
    Mercedes' MBE-906 diesel engine in the Ram. The
    MBE-906 is a six-cylinder, 6.4-liter, turbodiesel.
    It is a heavy-duty truck engine available in
    DaimlerChrysler's Freightliner and Sterling brands. The MBE-906 is larger than the Cummins engine and offers between 190 and 280 hp."

I know nothing about Mercedes diesels other than
    they have been making them forever, made them for a wide variety of uses, and everything they make is heavy duty. But I wonder how technologically advanced a prospective engine for the Ram would be, i.e. will it match up against the Duramax and the next generation Powerstroke? The article also stated that the move to change from Cummins to Mercedes is at least partially based on cost savings. At any rate, this is a very interesting change of events, especially since the most commited Ram fans are the Cummins fanatics (myself included). Go see the article at www.autonews.com - "Mercedes diesels to power next Ram" (March 6, 2000).
  • gwmooregwmoore Member Posts: 230
    By the way, the article quotes:

Mercedes-Benz manufacturing spokesman
    Enrico Mueller

and

DaimlerChrysler Chairman Juergen Schrempp
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    cummins ? or mercedes ? geez ever buy replacements parts for a mercedes ......$2500 cat converter pipe assemblies ....no thanks
  • wildmanbakerwildmanbaker Member Posts: 65
    We have the Cummins auto, but a friend at work has a V-10, his second Ram, with auto, and loves it. He tows in the summer and hunts waterbirds in the fall/winter, so he really abuses it.
    This is our second Ram with an auto also. The 4-speed auto is just a TorqueFlite with another pack for 4th gear. I have yet to talk to anyone who has had a true problem with the new autos (not dealer induced).

Good luck
    Wildman
  • tmigueltmiguel Member Posts: 33
    I ordered a Ram V-10 5 spd after mucho leg work. I ruled out the Ford V-10 for a variety of reasons. Then I studied the powerstroke/cummins. I test drove all the above. Then I looked at the Ram V-10 with the manual, and went that route. I should be driving it this saturday. (ordered 12/17/99)

I spoke with no less than six mechanics at both Ford/Dodge, etc.etc.

My application is to tow a 6300# boat around the South west from Cabo, Mexico to Flaming Gorge, Utah.

My best deal on the internet for Dealers in So. Calif. was DowneyDodge/Dodge Fleet. The fleet manager who has been an O.K. guy with me (note that I had done all my homework before talking turkey) can be reached at [email protected]
    Did you get the 3500 yet?
  • barbarajobarbarajo Member Posts: 27
    I received a recall notice on my 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4x4. The recall applies to "some 2000 model year Dodge Ram Van/Wagon, Dakota, Ram Pickup and Durango; and Jeep Wrangler, Cherokee and Grand Cherokee vehicles", which "may be in violation of Federal emissons regulations."

If your vehicle is affected, the On-Board Diagnostic system on your vehicle will not detect a catalyst failure as required by Federal Emissions Regulations.

DiamlerChrysler will repair your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). The dealer will reprogram your vehicle's Powhertrain Control Module, and will take about half an hour to complete.

Contact your dealer right away to schedule a service appointment, and be sure to bring your recall letter with you.
    It is here and it is fantastic (and yes, it did come with stake pockets-phew)! Why have you guys kept this a secret for so long! These trucks can handle, they are luxurious, and they have POWER! I really have no past experience to tell you how much more power the ETH/DEE offers, but when I hit the accelerator it really takes off! The six-speed is a real gem. It slides into and out of every gear like butter. I thought that there would be a considerable amount of shifting, but you pretty much find the gear that lets you travel under current traffic conditions and just ride it there. The power band seems very wide for a diesel and I just love listening to that turbo whine. Must be off, I just joined the San Jose Ram Runners and they have requested my truck to be there-It is the first one that I have heard about in our area (well worth the wait). Hope things are well with you, and drop me an email sometime.

-ddd
    Dave,
    I was going to ask you about the Stake Pockets, I think you better calm down a little, people might think you are advertising for Dodge Ram or something. I will not be heading for Port Hueneme CA. until June 1st now, I have to attend a one month Chemical Biological Defense School in May before I move to California. I got 7800 mi. on my Ram and it has not been in the shop for anything except a free oil change. Send me your E-mail so can send you a picture of the truck [email protected]
    Has anyone done an exhaust upgrade and K&N Air Filter on the 24v Cummins? and if so what are the benefits i.e. MPG and Torque?.......Bill
  • jperaujperau Member Posts: 3
    Howdee people! I have been reading through these chat pages for nearly 12 months now and never had any input but still finds it really interesting so please be easy on me I'm a first timer.I own a
    intense blue 2500 quad cab 4X4 V10 auto SLT,heres the dilema (not a big one but still a pain in the butt)I live in Austalia where we drive on the other side of the road so I had to have the vehicle converted from Left Hand Drive to Right Hand Drive not big problem,I was not aware of the availabilty of the SLT+ Package when I had ordered the vehicle in early 99.Well now I drive the vehicle from the Right Hand Side but have an electric passenger seat and a manual drivers seat that we cant modify, someone out there may be able to shed some light on this for me as to the parts I need to buy from a Dodge dealer in the USA
    to make the right hand seat electric as well,I have contacted dodge spare parts guys in California and been asked a million questions and never given any answers, Can any one help?
    Do they even offer an Electric seat for that side of the truck? I could not buy one as an option for my Dodge Ram which sucks because the electric seat is very comfortable for long distance travel. Are the floor mounting points the same? it could be possible to switch the seats, and remove the center seat to access the controls since the seatbelts are integrated into the seatbacks. Good Luck, I hope your passengers enjoy the ride.............Bill
    Bill,Thanks for the reply I still think I should be able to purchase components for the SLT+ group
    seating because thats got the dual electric seats,
    what do you think?
    I have the dual electric seats and they are fantastic (the wife wouldn't let me drive if it was otherwise)! I do know however, that for the 2001's, the seat rails have changed. I don't know for sure whether or not that this means that the seats have also changed, but you might want to double check.

-ddd
    Just drove 410 miles breaking in 2001 2500 Ram V-10,5 spd, 4x4, etc., oh yeah its a REGULAR CAB.
    I am overly delighted. Milage of going up and down gearing was 12.8 mpg. Computer gas warning was 50 mi from tank indicated empty. When computer showed 8 miles to go, the fill up was 30 gal, 5 gal short of tank listed capacity.

Power galore. Quiet great. Great visibility from Reg. Cab. Camper special springs sticks that rear end way up in the air. 5 spd trans is smoth and well spaced out for towing. I made the right decision chosing the 3.54 rear end. If they had a 3.2 rear end, I would have chosen it. It is truely a Viper truck.
    Dave,
    Good to see you back, are you still looking out the window all the time and gazing at your Cummins Dually? I just turned 8000 miles on mine without a problem. Have you had a chance to test any large hills at oh lets say 95-100 MPH? I walked by a Powerstroke yesterday at about 95MPH on a large hill. A guy I know here has a 1996 2500 Club Cab Cummins with some upgrades, he is putting out 800 ft. lbs. to the ground, it is a beast. I wonder how much that passenger power seat is, I sure would like to have one.......Bill
    Jperau,
    Good day! It should work because dresslered (alias Dave) has them on his Ram, you want Dave and I to fly to Australia and help you put them in? I did some work with your Australian Army in Somalia (Operation Restore Hope) those guys could make fun out of a Root Canal operation....Bill
    Bring the bits and pieces and your welcome to help anytime! On a serious note have you guys got any so called 'mates' in the chryler spares game that might give me a list of parts required?,and if so if they would pack and fedex them to me? If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.Thanks once again. John
  • korfkorf Member Posts: 1
    i have a 95 ram, 4x4, cummins with a 2001 ram, quad cab, 4x4, cummins on order. i drove the 95 approx 35000 miles getting 22 mpg when the mileage suddenly (about two to three tanks of fuel) dropped to 16 mpg. i had the fuel filter changed, prefilter cleaned, valves set and thermostat changed (because i did not think the engine temperature oscillation was normal, but that is another story). the fuel mileage has not returned to 22 mpg. has anyone had a similar experience or know what can be done to recover the fuel mileage?
    Bill-
    Why would you think that I am constantly looking out the window at my new truck (I'm probably already in it dreaming about the ride in the morning)? In fact, the wife won't let me go out and buy any more milk. I've got 1800 miles on it now and I still can't get enough! I did get the ol' ETH up to about 90 mph but then backed off when I noticed that it was flying past everything on the road. With my mountain commute and happy foot, I'm already up to 16 mpg (I'm happy-it seems to improve everytime I fill it up). Where it really gets fun is on the downhill downshifts-the rumbles that it makes really turn some heads.

John-
    As far as an Australian trip goes, I'm afraid that it might stand out on the expense report. I'm think that it would have to cost you quite a bit of beer! I didn't realize that you need heated seats in the outback? I'll post a question over at the TDR site-I'm sure it has been done.

-ddd
  • dckcdckc Member Posts: 1
    Dodge Ram 2000, 1/2 ton, clubcab,sb,4x4,5.9L. We now have Approx. 5000 miles, we are getting 13-14 mpg. This is straight highway, no pulling! Any suggestions greatly appreciated!! Thanks, Kathy
  • trambitistrambitis Member Posts: 21
    Just bought a 2001 Ram Cummins 6-speed manual and intend to purchase a compression brake. Any insight from you, my fellow Ramheads, as to which unit I should go with?
    Thanx
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    Take your 13-14 mpg and be very happy. I only get 12.5 with the 5.2 in a similar setup.
  • markcordmarkcord Member Posts: 113
    I would say that mictro's mileage is more like what you should expect. 13-14 mpg on the highway huh? Man, my V10 LB QC gets that and it's much heavier than your truck. Something sounds amiss.
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    The Boston Herald is running a central dodge ad listing all diesel 2000 rams for 6000 off sticker not bad ......although not to long ago they were listing leftover 99 diesels for 7700 off hmm maybe but the 2000's are down on torque and horsepower which is important when going to home depot to get a sheet of plywood LOL I did call and the woman said they had 67 diesels on their lot !
  • bobsyveebobsyvee Member Posts: 63
    It's a truck, not a Geo Metro.
  • firemandavefiremandave Member Posts: 58
    The 3.54 should give you better mileage than the 4.10. I chose the 3.54 partially for that reason, but mostly because I thought my Cummins would be turning too many rpms at highway speeds with the 4.10. Otherwise, I would liked to have had the 4.10.
    Since you have the 4.10 already, it may be cost prohibitive to change it. I think I read somewhere else on this site that someone switched it after they had the truck and paid over $2,000. to get it changed. If that were the case, you'd probably be better off keeping it and looking at the benefits of the 4.10 (probably a higher tow rating for your truck than the 3.54 and more pop off the line!). Good luck!
    Playing with the overhead computer while driving a 2001 Ram V-10 5 spd 265 tires 4x4 reg cab long bed 3.54 rear I am getting the following:

Milage between 0 (stopped) and 29 (down hill). At 65 mph (cruise control on) 1850 rpm, 14 mpg average on the flat. Off road I am getting like 3mpg. I will satart breaking in for tow next week.

The up side....FANTASTIC PERFORMANCE....Off-road, the only way to go is with the gas engine stick.
  • markcordmarkcord Member Posts: 113
    Sorry for the long wait for a reply (been busy trying to get an LS6 Chevelle in my driveway. Now that that has been accomplished....). 67 diesels? Holy batsh^t! That's amazing. I take it there were no HO 6 spds. though? 6K off sounds like a pretty tempting deal. Not tempting enough to get me out of my V10 but 6K is nothing to sneeze at!
This discussion has been closed.