Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• richandbonrichandbon Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2006 Toyota Avalon XLS last December.
    I'm disappointed with the wind noise when I drive at speeds in excess of 50 mph. It sounds as if the front windows are slightly cracked. Is this normal? Can anything be done to get a tighter fit to the windows or doors to reduce the wind noise?
  • bobwileybobwiley Member Posts: 241
    Old Trick from a long time Service Dept Mgr----NO JOKE----try a "thin" layer of Vaseline on both the window edge, about a 1/4 inch down and the rubber molding---works like Poligrip does with teeth--don't need much. Then, after it works, tell your Toyota Service Manager---he'll probably laugh--but--then you'll know there is an excessive "gap" and something needs to be done. Cheap way to find out!! My Limited is "church quiet"--of course, you'll hear some wind noise at 70-75 MPH---afterall, the glass is only so thick. You're right to complain if its loud at 50 MPH. I also installed wind deflectors on my windows--work great and on the days when you can open the windows, they keep the wind from blowing right in your face.
    Bob
  • jlsextonjlsexton Member Posts: 302
    I JUST BOUGHT A 2006 AVALON LIMITED. I BELIEVE TOYOTA IS GOING THE WAY
    OF THE AMERICAN CAR COMPANIES, ARROGANT.

HOW MANY MILES BEFORE ANY TRANNY TROUBLES ??

I'M NEW TO THIS, IS THERE A WAY TO SPREAD THE WORD TO EVERYONE AND NOT
    JUST ONE PERSON HOPING OTHERS WILL READ IT.

SO FAR NO TROUBLES BUT IT IS BRAND NEW. MY PERSONAL COMPLAINT, I
    PURCHASED A COMPLETELY USELESS REMOTE START. WHEN IT DOES WORK IT IS
    PROGRAMMED TO SHUT DOWN THE ENGINE WHEN THE DOORS ARE OPENED. TOYOTA SAYS IT
    IS A SAFETY FEATURE AGAINST CAR-JACKING. I TOLD THEM THAT IS WHAT MY
    RUGER SP101 (.357) WAS FOR. I WOULD LIKE TO WARN BUYERS NOT TO PURCHASE
    THIS JUNK AND GO AFTER MARKET, ANY IDEAS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
  • limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    Why didn't you try it before you bought it?
  • kinchlowkinchlow Member Posts: 1
    The mental picture of someone shooting holes in their Avalon with a .357 as it's being driven away by a carjacker because there was no remote start safety feature to cut off the engine is pretty amusing.
  • gaboogaboo Member Posts: 4
    "trusty 5-speed.." don't think so. Recent reports showed that Avalon had a dent in its quality control. Transmission was the recall item in Canada. :shades:
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    gaboo,

Apparently you missed the tongue parked in my cheek, although the 5-speed has worked really well for me for the past 17 months.

But tell us more about this "recall item in Canada". So far I haven't heard anything about this. Can you point us to an official notice?

havalongavalon
    BECAUSE HAVING HAD ONE IN MY CAMRY I ASSUMED THEY WORKED THE SAME, SILLY ME. AND WHAT GOOD IS A REMOTE START THAT SHUTS DOWN THE ENGINE AS YOU UNLOCK THE DOORS ??????

ALSO, WHY IS THIS NOT IN ANY ONE THE LITERATURE I READ????
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    . . . and do you realized that your keyboard has a "Caps Lock" key that can easily be pressed?
    OBVIOUSLY YOU AGREE WITH THIS INANE FEATURE. MOST REMOTES LOCK THE DOORS IMMEDIATELY THUS PREVENTING THAT RESULT, THAT IS, SOMEONE STEALING THE VEHICLE. ONCE YOU GET TO THE CAR AND UNLOCK THE DOORS AND THE ENGINE SHUTS OFF WHAT DOES THAT ACCOMPLISH WHEN SOMEONE STICKS A GUN TO YOUR HEAD AND TAKES THE REMOTE FROM YOU. MY INTENT WAS TO PUT HOLES IN THE PERSON ATTEMPTING TO STEAL THE CAR, NOT THE VAHICLE ITSELF, NOT AFTER SPENDING $35,000 FOR IT.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    agree with some of the other posters here - if the operation of some of these 'fluff' features is so important to you, how do you not test it before you buy? CAPS not necessary, either.
    I WAS TRYING TO SPARE OTHER PEOPLE THE DISAPPOINTMENT OF PURCHASING A USELESS ITEM. POINT OF INFORMATION, I LIVE IN UPSTATE NY, WHEN THE SNOW IS 16 INCHES OR MORE ON MY CAR AND THE DOORS ARE FROZEN CLOSED, I DO NOT CONSIDER A REMOTE START A, AS YOU SO IDENTIFIED IT "FLUFF FEATURE". I HAVE MANY TOYS AS I CAN WELL AFFORD THEM. THE AVALON IS MY FAMILY CAR, THE MASERATI & FERRARI ARE OUR DRIVING CARS.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR,I HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO DO, INPUT. PERHAPS IT NEVER OCCURED TO YOU THERE IS A MEDICAL REASON WHY SOME PEOPLE USE A LARGE TYPE FORMAT.
  • dandydon2dandydon2 Member Posts: 77
    Steady there, jl. You're about to blow a gasket. Stop shouting and just settle down.

Dandydon
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    >>THE MASERATI & FERRARI ARE OUR DRIVING CARS.

If true, then the small loss you'll take when you dump the car will be insignificant, and certainly not worth pushing one's blood pressure higher.
    I posted my messsage to be of a help to others, apparently this is more of a chat room than a collection of ideas or thoughts about cars and there idiosyncrasies. I do not direct this at you but to the writers of inane responses to that post. I will continue to try to help others as G-D has been good to me and we should all try, despite the actions of others...........
  • hsakuragihsakuragi Member Posts: 12
    if you are complaining now, why u didn't test it out throughly when you bought the car at the first point?
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    I view that question as inappropriate.

How many times have you ever tried exhaustively options before you purchased a vehicle?

In this case, probably the option was dealer installed at the purchaser's request.

Two points:
    When a manufacturer offers a OEM option, the assumption which is appropriate is the OEM option will be very compatible with the vehicle, and will be well tested and it's behaviors appropriate, not illogical.

The other point is, testing of the Remote Starter probably wouldn't go beyond remotely starting the vehicle and proving it works, not detecting odd behaviors which you might only discover after really giving the thing a workout.

If it truly isn't driver- or customer-centric, then maybe a well written letter to Toyota is warranted, granted.

But busting on a poster for not thoroughly testing a feature?

Oh - and I suppose people with issues of the Avalon NAV should have fully checked that out prior to purchase.

Shouldn't we cut jlsexton some slack?

We are going to witness more and more Human Factors / Usability issues as vehicles become more computerized and complex.

The same can be said of Home Appliances and other major purchases. Sometimes behaviors collide with expectations or prior learning... and this is only discovered after a period of product ownership.
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    Just completed long trip from LA to Seattle and back on I-5. I use the laser cruise control (05 Limited) when cruising on the I-5 freeway. On this trip (but not on previous trips, same places), the LCC senses trucks in the lane to the right of me, and starts to slow down, then resumes the cruise. This causes about a 2 sec interruption before passing the truck - very annoying.

It seems to be responding to reflections from the reflector strip most large trucks have. This is a metal bar the full width of the truck, about 18-24 inches above ground, with red reflectors across it. I guess I'll have to go to the dealer about this, hate to bother. Anyone else notice this problem?

Max
  • richa502richa502 Member Posts: 16
    It absolutely is a useless feature. The idea of remote starting, only to find that when you open your door the car shuts off, is totally stupid. Most people wouldn't test that because they wouldn't think the manufacturer would be that dumb. I, for one, agree with the author of this message. And thanks for solidifiing my decision now - I will now NOT be getting this lemon of a car. Way too many issues with it.
  • netwonnetwon Member Posts: 53
    Use aftermarket remote start problem solved.

My .02 Cents.

Netwon
  • netwonnetwon Member Posts: 53
    I posted a message a little while ago about Key Override-sl (www.ifar.ca) it allows remote start to be installed despite Smart Key. Learns smart key (not need to purchase second to have mounted under dash). I've used it works like a hot damn!

Netwon
    I don't understand the problem. You open the door, get in and restart the engine. Time required 5 seconds. IMHO if you live where you're afraid of being mugged when you open the door the remote start isn't the problem.
    richa502: My Remote Start is a Joke--much like the Nav System---standing in Target parking lot--straight line to car---had to get within 50 ft for it to work--then, when i get there and open door--motor shuts off--duh?! About as smart as having a garage door opener that oipens the door, shuts it once car is inside and then ya have to re-open garage door to do back outside. I tell folks Laser Cruise, Remote Start and Nav System are NOT worth the $$$. Laser Cruise is great if not too much traffic--otherwise--I use regular cruise.
    Bob
    all i'm trying saying is, you already bought the car, the option is already installed. Complain or regert is no use. Find a solution or live with it.

When i bought this 06 limited last year, I went to the dealer 4 days in a row to test drive the car. I have done enough research on here and some other websites before I bought the car.

so remote start sucks - i got an aftermarket one
    no ipod? - I've searched and found somewhere for an OEM ipod adapter
    no bodykit? - I just bought one and coming soon - yes California
    transmission sucks - yes it sucks, but that's how the drive by wire works.
    Why do we need Laser Cruise? IMHO opinion it's an accesorie that's added just because the technology is available. If you can't tell that a car in front of you is too close and you should slow down then maybe it's time for you to hang up the car keys.
  • rwb2rwb2 Member Posts: 85
    Or maybe you have a reoccuring ankle or knee problem. And it may be sports related and not because you'll old. Maybe intolerant people should take a step back.
    Physician, heal thyself.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    peace,

but you say you experienced the transmission and you still bought the car anyway, right? :confuse:

the original poster was making a point to clue other people in that the option was a poor value.

and no, DBW doesn't have to "work" that way. ;)
  • gartmacdgartmacd Member Posts: 27
    We are in Chetticamp, Nova Scotia, on our tour of the Province with the new Avalon. First oil change in Sydney en route. So far so good, and I won't say more because good news seems to irritate some folks.
    We found our B&B has internet so here goes.
    Just dropped in to express some curiosity. What's all the fuss about a remote starter that shuts the engine off when doors are opened. I don't have one, nor need one (BTW our Winters are a lot worse than New Hampshire by a long way!). But doesn't it make sense to have the device do just that? Example: You're still in your home, car in driveway, remotely started, and a thief decides to scoop the car? Makes sense to me! I also suggest that behaving like a juvenile when something doesn't work the way you want it to (never having tried it beforehand) is a little foolish. Even more so when carrying a pistol around to mete out vigilante justice. A bizarre way to make a point IMO!
    Rest assured we'll avoid New Hampshire in our travels, where 'shoot first and ask questions later' is the way differences get settled!
    I meant the revolver thing as a joke when talking to the local rep, she laughed so apparently she realized it for what is was. I really do not carry my Ruger, as it is too heavy, a much smaller Rohrbaugh 9mm is more suited for that. I keep forgetting that there is a large percentage of the earths population who chose to be a victim rather than to protect family,friends and property. That is everyones right, that is to expect someone such as a police officer to protect their butts. I'd rather accept my responsibility. Get back to you when I have more time to waste.
  • gartmacdgartmacd Member Posts: 27
    I returned only to correct a mistake. I referred to 'New Hampshire' in my post instead of 'Upstate New York'. Sorry for the unintended slight to NH.
    Have to say this though:
    Carrying a weapon with stated intent to use it for any such purpose is no joke. Claiming it as a 'responsibility to protect one's butt' is.
    Don't bother getting back, thanks. Not interested, and besides, we're on the road again soon and may not have further internet availability.
  • madmancdmadmancd Member Posts: 3
    I have been monitoring this forum ever since we purchased our 2005 Avalon (Limited)in February 2005. We had previously owned a Lincoln LS which was a complete and total disaster. I am happy to say that we have 14K miles on the Avalon and have been very pleased with the car thus far. Unlike some of the people who have posted, our experience with the laser guided cruise has been good and I use it often, however, there is very little traffic on my work commute.

I do agree with many posters that the navigation system is difficult to use. Our other car is an Acura TL (2004) and the navigation system is superior by a very very very large margin. I have not experienced any of the transmission issues documented in this forum.

I did have a squeak in the rear seats which the dealer could not fix. I figured it out myself and fixed it with a quick adjustment of a single bolt. Overall this car has been great. It is my sixth toyota and is performing to the top quality standards that I have come to expect.

Have a great trip and do not hesitate to point out the good as well as the trouble spots.
  • doobredoobre Member Posts: 42
    Hi hsakuragi, can you provide more details on the aftermarket remote start and the iPod interface you have used with your avalon.. supplier and price etc...
    cheers
    for remote start, refere message #12923 of 12935

for ipod, you have to contact SE region toyota dealers and see if they can sell them to you as accessiores and ship it to you if you are not in the SE region, I'm not allow to give you the information where I got it from, but the price is 180 for the adapter, and yes, it's OEM and works with the steering wheel control.
  • retired7retired7 Member Posts: 133
    I once heard this one and thought I'd pass it on for what it's worth; " It's better to be tried by twelve than carried by six!"
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's get back to the Avalon, folks.
    Thanks Pat: Too bad folks can't use the Forum as intended--pass on the goodd,bads and experiences regarding the specific car. Can you pre=screen replies and remove the "venomous" ones? Grat network the Forum!!
    Bob
    I just stumbled upon a review on www.nctd.com on the 2006 Avalon. Here's an interesting exerpt:

"Avalon's engine and transmission deliver unobtrusive performance. Fifth gear is a relaxed overdrive, allowing the engine to loaf on the highway. Driving over steep mountain passes with some determination rewarded us with 268 horsepower backed by an automatic that knows when to shift. In tighter sections, where our speeds were in the 30 to 50 mph range, we decided to operate the transmission in manual mode, tap-shifting from second to third gear and revving up and down through the corners."
    after 36k on my Touring will likely be looking to replace my Michelins with a set of somethings soon. Have found the Michelins to be quite satisfactory but have always felt that tires in the last 25% of treadlife need to be replaced. Don't need anything for snow/ice just lots of rain.
    In any case, anybody out there with some specific recommendations given that I'm not about to screw up my car with some outrageous tire/wheel size combination. Think the same 215/55 or 225/55 on my stock 17" wheels - any thoughts or experiences would be helpful.
  • bluesman3bluesman3 Member Posts: 202
    I've heard the Bridgestone Turanza series are a very nice tire. I've never owned a set so I can't speak from experience.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Turanza+L- S-Z
  • 54gradsteds54gradsteds Member Posts: 102
    What is it with Toyota?? If the navigation system really IS an embarrassing piece of trash, non user-friendly, etc., etc., ad nauseam, why is the same cheap stuff STILL showing up, even in the 2007 models? Did Toyota's bean-counters find this thing at a fire sale, foisted on them by a manufacturer who was unable to move it to a more respectable, responsible auto producer who actually CARES about its reputation AND its customers? Is it rocket science to look at the competition that has a superior system, approach its supplier, and say , "Build some of those things for us, too" ? The arrogance with which this corporation treats us is appalling, and the quirky transmission is the prime example of that!
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    I don't have remote start but have the other items. I agree they are not worth the big bucks. When I bought the limited I though the amount extra was a bargin, but not anymore. The navigation system is a totally inexcuseable, expensive, device: it is unreliable, and outdated when installed, user unfriendly, voice commands are a joke, provides much out of the way directions, wasting time and miles, unable to type in major cities and addresses. In the end we need to have the map to fill in the empty spots.

The laser cruse control has so many exceptions, there should be a list of when it works properly. The sun at the right angle and rain shut it off. The dangerous acceleration going up a long hill is way out of line with the manual. Do the brake lights come on when the control slows the car down as it approaches another car in front?
    ange
    I was advised by Consumer Reports to notify my state Attorney General and the BBB. They also said they would give the problem to their research dept and look at it when they had the chance. Good luck, sorry these things are junk also.
    Tried to help out as did Bob wiley but the venom kept coming, it's amazing how people react to humor and you are of course right, this IS about autos.
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    I recently took my first road trip with my 2005 Avalon Limited and experienced the following and wanted to know if this is normal.

Cruising on Interstate 5 at 70-75MPH in Drive. Cresting a hill as I started on the decline I let off the gas and the tachometer dropped down to around idle speed indicating that the transmission was free wheeling. When I gently touched the brake to slow down the tachometer jump back up showing the car had shifted back into 5th gear. Letting off the break and the transmission stayed in 5th gear and did no return to free wheeling mode. After this happened several times I tried shifting the transmission into S-5. As I crested the next hill and started on the decline the tachometer dropped down to around idle speed indicating that the transmission was free wheeling. When I gently touched the break to slow down the tachometer did not move indicating that the transmission stayed in free wheeling mode until I stepped on the gas again and then it shifted back into 5th gear.

Is this normal and how the transmission is supposed to operate? Shifting from free wheeling into 5th gear when touching the break with the transmission in D but remaining in free wheeling mode when touching the break in S-5?

Thank you,
    Doug
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "....The SHADOW Knows..."

But likely no one else outside of NipponDenso software development.
    Have been following the Camry sites for continuing updates on the 5 and 6 speed trannies. Complaints, much like what have been appearing here, on both.
    There is now a TSB on the 6 speed regarding an upshift RPM spike. Involves an internal valve replacement. What is somewhat interesting reading is the reprogramming/relearning steps required as part of the repair procedures - TSB #TC008-06 dated August 2. This in addition to some snap ring problems on earlier Camry 6 speeds.
    The '07 is still with the 'old' 5 speed (apparently) - which may be fortunate for those of you that have one coming in.
  • ctlctl Member Posts: 129
    well, have to disagree a bit. If there is bug need to be worked out (apparently), I will wait, but no way am I taking the old 5 speed knowing a better and newer design is out there.
    so, I guess, it must be better because it's newer? Tell that to Bill Gates who took several years and versions to come up with something better than Win98.
    Detroit has a bunch of engines that are, by almost any definition, technologically inferior and inefficient - relative to HP,(3.8 GM, DT Ford, for example) yet they are about as reliable as anything out there. In these cases, old must be better?
    IMO, the assumption that new=good is wrong more often than it is right.
    The point of the post, though, is to get those who has some transmission issues to read those procedures outlined in the TSB - it may help in some way with reprogramming/reteaching these imperfect control systems. Another case where new does not equal better - don't ever remember anybody complaining about the 'old' 4 speeds.