Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• stcroixboystcroixboy Member Posts: 63
    Thank you fin. Would I be guessing correctly that it was a top to bottom redesign in 2005? Any 2005 or 2006 owners care to share their experirences/problems? Thanks.
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    stcroixboy,

The 2005 was a top-to-bottom redesign, you can read many reviews from 2005 that highlight all the innovations introduced that year. The 2006 and 2007 models are practically identical except for minor differences in options available in some packages. The 2007 includes the now mandatory tire pressure monitoring system.

If you buy a 2005 second-hand, the first-run issues should have been fixed under warranty for the original owner, or are still fixable under warranty since the earliest cars were sold in Feb 2005. Such issues include tail pipe misaligment, loose covers over fog lights and defective steering column. These defects should not have shown up again in the 2006 model year. The much-discussed (here) occasionally misbehaving transmission and sensitive gas pedal design have NOT been modified since the 2005 model year and don't appear to have hampered new sales, either.

I have owned my early-early 2005 XLS for over 2 years now, had only very few problems and continue to enjoy the unique combination of interior space, comfort, quiet, dependability, raw power, and fuel economy. Sorry, I don't intend to trade it in the forseeable future!

Best wishes,

havalongavalon
  • 91199119119911 Member Posts: 54
    I can provide these details: I have a 2006 Avalon Limited and suggest you drive the vehicle you're purchasing for a reasonable amount of time under all reasonable conditions, reason, quiet a few of these vehicles have problems with hesitation in the transmission which is dangerous as well as a nusiance. Search this forum before purchasing as well.

I have a pending lawsuit against Toyota for that reason and they're being totally obstinate about not giving one inch.

Best of luck,
    Cj
    havalongavalon,
    Thanks for the detailed info. As I have started to read through other comments, there seem to be quite a few regarding the transmission experiencing hesitation problems. Has this been an issue?
    Regards,

Stcroixboy
    Cj,
    Thank you and good luck with your lawsuit.

I had been considering the Avalon Limited but seeing that Toyota hasn't fixed or admitted the problem in three years I guess I will focus on the Hyundai Azera Limited instead.

I don't want Nav, and so for 30K it seems similarly equipped and lists for about 6K less. I just can't believe how many posts there are regarding this transmission problem that Toyota states is normal!

My wife has a Rav4L and she had a Previa before that with absolutely no problems but I think that it is time to try Hyundai and that warranty certainly sounds inviting if I should need it!

Thanks again,

Stcroixboy
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    I have never had a problem with the steering on my early 2005 Limited, YET, but since the oil leak parts have been ordered for TWO months, I am wondering if I can get my dealer to go ahead and order the parts for the steering problem since that will probably show up too. How many miles did you have on yours when the steering started knocking? Mine has 14,600K.
  • limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    You may find, as other owners have, that changing to a different brand of gasoline may cure the rotten ege small.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Now at the 2k mile mark including a 500 mile roundtrip from Atlanta up to Music City. In short, the car performs as expected, no problems at all.

Gas mileage is highest 20's (corrected) at avg 75 mph and should improve with additional miles on the car.

ODO Error - As *captain2* and others have mentioned, the odo is off by 3%. Checked it twice on two different interstates. Ran 34.0 miles of mile markers and saw a beautiful 33.0 miles on the odo. Seems impossible in this age of computers.. Speedometer works OK as we passed some construction zone radar speed signs and they seemed to match indicated speed.

The seats are still not as comfortable as the '03 XL we sold but we will adjust. Outward visibility is another adjustment. But the extra power, compared to the '03, makes driving a lot easier.

Enjoy you Avalons, all. So far, so good........ :)
  • beeman4ubeeman4u Member Posts: 34
    ... SORRY if this is a duplicate post in a diff. forum....

I have a 06 Avalon XLS without the Manufacturer navigation system but I have the JBL Syn. System. One year has passed and I must admit, I'm overall very satisfied. A few months in, I was experiencing the annoying dashboard squeaks but they are long gone, 20K miles now. My wife is now considering I get the Navigation system. I know there are portable models on the market but I am one for esthetics and was considering upgrading with the navigation system option model that is/was offered with the car in 06. I am not sure if my display window will need to be replaced or not, but overall does anyone know if this is even possible? And if so, what's the est cost; with and without the dealer installation. Thank you
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Best guess: By the time you paid the bills you could have traded up for an '07 w/NAV. Seriously, even the controls on the dash are different, not just the NAV screen itself. This is not reasonably possible. Sorry, but consider an '07. Also, you lose the tape player with NAV, if that means anything. Hope this helps.....
  • regisregis Member Posts: 94
    I don't understand your concern about "esthetics" using a portable GPS. You can stick a Garmin on your windshield without wires since the new batteries will last up to eight hours. And, since it's portable, you can take it into your home to program routes, use it in a second car and if your change vehicles, you still have a GPS. The new Garmin c550 is also bluetooth compatibile. This unit is far superior to the built-in navigation system in the Avalon.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    the odo is off by 3%.
    I'm with you - don't know how this is possible especially considering that the speedo/trip mpg seems right on the nuts. It used to be that tire sizes would cause errors like this but then everything would be off the same amount. I guess we could fit slightly smaller tires (205/55/17) but then the speedo would be off as would the computed mpg?
  • jlsextonjlsexton Member Posts: 302
    Everyone seems to agree the original equipment GPS system as with other items stinks. Consumer reports recommends the Garmin Nuvi 660 & 350 depending on your needs. To retrofit is possible but not wise financially. Use this forum and ask about the Toyota NAV, prior to doing anything. And again any of you living in a cold climate DO NOT purchase the utterly useless remote start.
  • gladiator99gladiator99 Member Posts: 104
    We have have driven our 05 Avalon about 12000 km so far and aside from a few initial problems, (oil leak, front a pillar cover coming loose) I really like this car. Great power and excellent gas mileage.
    I also purchased an aftermarket nav system( Garmin nuvi 350) and have found it to be a great nav system. The only thing I didn't like is having to pay full retail price. Toyota's so called Access pricing in western Canada. It is called price fixing anywhere else.
    Take care!
  • gwsgws Member Posts: 67
    Despite the widespread adherence to Access Pricing in Western Canada, there are some dealers who will 'deal' - and finding one often will lead another to be more flexible on price. Keep looking!
    High River Toyota, near Calgary, could be a place to start.
    Find the invoice price, add your options, go UP from there but not much. I paid a little over $32,000 for a Limited loaded except for the NAV, I even bought the STUPID USELESS remote start. They still make an extra 2 or 3 % even at invoice. My car store threw in 5 oil changes @ $25.00 each. I bypassed the salesman because they were acting stupid, like the damn thing was gold. If someone got it cheaper good for them but I was satisfied,
    Hi gladiator99,

Good hearing that you remain happy with your 05 XLS. About once a month, when I wish I had a Nav system on board, I think of you. I have seen the Garmin nuvi 350, impressive unit, but didn't get one yet.

I agree with the price fixing complaint -- Toyota should rename it Excess Pricing in Western Canada. This of course affects all models, not just the Avalon. And it is deliberately reinforced by explicit instructions to Toyota dealers south of the border to not sell to Canadians. A very unfortunate policy. May or may not be illegal, but sure violates the spirit of NAFTA.
    Hi gws,

I wouldn't mind driving 2000 km across the Rockies to/from Calgary if the price were substantially lower there. Roughly how much below the Excess Price did you pay for your 07 XLS?
  • mariodmariod Member Posts: 28
    I know have 41000 miles on my Avalon. I'm having a hard time with these problems. I owned 3 Honda's and I NEVER had any issues... This is my first Toyota and maybe my last!!! :mad:
  • manav82manav82 Member Posts: 16
    I have found replacement blades for the 2007 Avalon. Samsclub.com has them for the lowest price I have seen ($14 each). They are also available thru cardomain.com for a little bit more.

You can get more info at gobrands.com or call them at 888-485-8468.

Valeo ULTIMATE® OE Wiper Blade
    Make Selected: TOYOTA

Model Selected: Avalon

Year Selected: 2006

Driver — Part No: 900-26-7
    Pass. — Part No: 900-20-7
    since you are continually ragging on something 'silly' (IMO), then how, if the way how a remote start functions is THAT important, the heck do you spend your $32k without understanding how it's designed to work? Now that would be STUPID - your word not mine.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    I can't understand the appeal of Remote start in the first place. All it does is waste gas and cause unnecessary wear on the engine. Besides, the newer cars warm up so fast, and most Avy's are equipped with heated seats. To top it all off, Toyota charges something like $500 for the option. Why would you spend that? Any decent car stereo shop can do the job for under $200 and customize it to your liking. To judge an otherwise great car by a frivolous lazy mans feature is beyond me.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• gwsgws Member Posts: 67
    Havalongavalon, I got three alternatives in January, all equipped with Option B...

2006 new XLS with MSRP of $45263 + gst for $39345 + gst.
    2007 new XLS with MSRP of $45358 + gst for $42969 + gst
    2007 pre-owned Avalon XLS package B with under 2000 km's plus undercoating, hood film and some odds and ends for $39700 +gst.

I selected the slightly used 2007 - not a demo, but an unusual opportunity in a colour I preferred over the available 2006.
    most automotive experts will agree, in cold weather, it is a generally good idea to warm up the car a minute or two before you put too much load on the engine. However, starting it up 15 minutes or so ahead of time simply because you don't want to use an ice scraper, that would something entirely different, as you suggest. $500 for remote start, or even the 2 grand for a NAV system would both be dollars spent, that to me - seem frivolous.
    Hi GWS!
    Sounds like you got an incredible deal! I wonder why we can't get a similar deal here in B.C.??? I know I won't buy another Toyota here. I just may be shopping in Alberta,
    or in the US.
    Take Care!!
    Hi Havalongavalon!
    I'am with you!! We may be headed to Calgary for our next automobile. These guys here can keep their access pricing and hope to find a sucker willing to pay full list price.
    Hope you are still happy with your Avy and enjoying life.
    We just got back from the Mesa Az. area and the Garmin 350 was a godsend when trying to navigate through all the freeways. It even took me direct to the Barrett Jackson car auctions. I would highly recommend any of the Garmin nav systems.
    Take care!
    First, not nice, second, I as a concerned purchaser am trying to save others the annoyance that I have gone through. Let me try to provide you with an example for the average person. When one is used to turning on a light by pushing the switch up, one assumes that all switches work that way. If they did not one would expect the merchant to clarify that. Since I already had a Camry with a remote start I expected the Avalon to work the same way, it does not. No one mentioned any differences in the procedure. What annoys me to "RAG ON" about it is that no one in Toyota will accept responsibility. When all they have to do is re-program the Prom Chip, which their Tech Department said they could do but will not. People are having problems with their transmissions not acting as transmissions should, are they "Ragging On" when they discuss it or when they get no responsible action from Toyota. As far as not understanding it's mechanics perhaps you might explain to the others who read this the Hole Flow Theory or perhaps delve into Cold Fusion, one of my favorites. Thank you so much for your enlightening input. And yes to spend over $400 on an almost useless accessory was stupid, trying to prevent others from doing so is not. Once in a while I let my guard down and actually trust a car store, I am now kicking myself for believing that they might actually act responsibly. I will not EVER make that mistake again.
    I guess you don't seem to understand that the fact that the engine shuts off when you actually open the door to get in the car is a security issue - probably prompted by Toyota's legal dept? Something along the lines of Toyota's 'responsibility' if the car should be stolen out of your own driveway if you don't need the key/transmitter to restart it when you get in the car. Makes perfect sense to me and I would further, submit to you and most folks that have spent that $500 on the RS, understand that and probably appreciate why and how the thing works the way it does...
  • netwonnetwon Member Posts: 53
    In defense of captain2, (I live in Ft McMurray Alberta, 300 or so km from the NWT it is still minus 17 and snowing this morning) ALL aftermarket remote start systems even the ones from Canadian tire that cost $50-75 allow you to unlock the car with the engine on. Mine (compustar) gets around the stolen car problem by requiring you to unlock the doors and insert the key (or push start what have you) to the on position before you press the brake pedal. So if alarm is set off (door forced open) or you press the brake (required to take out of park) without first disabling the alarm & asnd inserting the ignition key, the car turns off. Perhaps Toyota just over engineered this one.

Net
    A courteous and useful explanation, thank you. Now, as far as a security issue the engine shuts off without the presence of the fob. Actually a notice appears on the screen, cannot find key if the engine is running and will shut down without it. When one uses the RS two things happen, the engine starts (occasionally) and the doors lock, both should satisfy the legal dept, for in order to get in without the fob one would have to break a window or use a puller or such and the engine would shut down as soon as the vehicle was moved or the brake touched. The range on a good day is maybe 75 feet, probably less, my Camry had an antennae to increase the range. Like with the radio I thought the Avalon had a hidden one, it does not. As with the NAV system from Denso I believe Toyota purchased junk and refuses to admit their error and fix it again through arrogance as being No 1. Yes I do mention this lousy accessory when responding to someone, I hate to get taken and try to prevent others from it also. The Avalon Limited is a nice car, larger than I thought and was originally purchased for the comfort of others, one of whom has passed away and so I will not purchase another. I will probably look to a slightly smaller vehicle, perhaps a Benz C class or a Lexus. I will report on whatever blog I will be on all the pros & cons of that vehicle also. One last thing, I really do not like the brakes, I prefer a more natural and gradual feel not the soft and spongy one on this car.
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    I like the front end concept, however I have the "the one eye" laser speed control lens assembly on the passenger side of the lower grill.This looks like h---, but is Toyota's design. They should have balanced the grill so it would look like something smart, sharp, that adds value to the grill.

Redoing the lower grill will eliminate the "cheap" parking light covers. Mine are loose and wobble when I wash and dry them, despite factory fixes. I have checked many cars and have not seen any as cheaply mounted as these are.

I am interested in replacing the grill to get rid of the big "fat' Toyota emblem, and straightening out the bars.
    ange
    Keep us posted sexton. I well know what you mean about Toyota's arrogance, they have been resisting to pay me for an 06 Limited, which the transmision has had a hesitation since 250 miles. Toyota knows they have a problem and refuse to do anything about it. I have a pending lawsuit and advise anyone thinking of buying a new Avalon to think twice. No it's not the driver it's the car, my brother has one bought at the same time and I have driven his on several occasions with no noted problem.

Cj
    I must presume you do not have a Lemon Law, although they require several fixes prior to any result. It is indeed a shame one has to resort to sueing but I honestly believe it is the only way to get their attention. I wish you all the luck, I have only done this once in almost 50 years of driving (14 when started) with good results but they will pull tricks, like not showing up several times until the judge warned their lawyer he would send the Sheriff if they skip another.
  • smuooksmuook Member Posts: 35
    I agree with you about the parking light covers... they look like they were an after thought by the designers. I don't have the laser cruise... but I've heard it being mounted on the side.

This front end is the weak spot of the Avalon styling imo.
  • smuooksmuook Member Posts: 35
    Here's a mod if you want to hardwire a radar detector to your ignition so the wire is hidden and it comes on and off with the ignition...

Radar Hardwire Mod
    this is interesting to me - in that, I would be amazed if legally you could 'prove' a problem, when the tranny, in this case, is working exactly the way it is designed. Not dismissing your issues though, have you tried to get your dealer to apply the 5 speed TSB reprogram, that was issued for the 4 cyl Camry?
  • weavercityweavercity Member Posts: 11
    For the past few thousand miles on my 2005 Avalon XLS I've noticed a slight knocking or clicking in the steering wheel. This seems to be telgraphed from somewhere in the steering assembly and seems to be particularly noticeable when making a turn (right or left). Any hints what could be the cause?image I'm wondering if it might be a CV joint or something in the rack and pinion??
    I have this problem too... Many people do. My Toyota dealer just ordered me a steering column, but it maybe the steering shaft??? He'd not sure yet.
    There's also a TSB on the steering column.

I have read that some Avalon owners had their steering column changed and it took care of the problem. I hope it works for me.
    The part is coming in the first week of April.

Let me know what happens with yours too.
    DUHHHHHH! Capt, you mean to tell me a car is designed to stall when attempting to merge into traffic in downtown Atlanta or cruising at a stable 65 and all of a sudden the engine revs up with no forward motion response, no accelerator input? I have some ocean front property in Arizona I would love to sell you. No car is designed to do what this car and other Avalon's are doing....this is beyond an accident waiting to happen.

No I haven't ask Toyota to change any program, I just report the symptom and follow the lawyers advice.

By the way I have over 40 yrs. in auto repair and am a certified Auto Damage Appraiser, what are your credentials.
    If you have been following my comments you would have read that my brother has an 06 purchased a couple of weeks after I purchased mine, I have driven his on several occasions and it doesn't do it....read through the blog and you'll see I'm not the only victim.

Cheers,
  • blutoyblutoy Member Posts: 10
    Take it easy on old Cap. He is teaching us all something, what I don't know.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I think the suggestion was that a Camry TSB may be useful for an Avalon. I don't know whether it is or not, but I do think the suggestion was meant to be helpful and it's best to try not to make things personal.
  • blutoyblutoy Member Posts: 10
    Agreed...
    you mean to tell me a car is designed to stall when attempting to merge into traffic in downtown Atlanta or cruising at a stable 65 and all of a sudden the engine revs up with no forward motion response
    In effect and unfortunately, yes - and my point being that this kind of thing is becoming a common occurrence with many of these high tech DBW systems tied together with these electronic trannies, and is an issue with not only Toyota/Lexus but also several other mfgrs.. Toyota , I would wager, has certainly told you that this is 'normal', and as far as they (and their engineers) are concerned - it probably is doing exactly (what they think) it is supposed to. You do, however, describe 2 different behaviors, only one that I'm familiar with, the hesitation when asking for sudden acceleration on the merge. The other one sounds more like what it happening to owners of the 6 speed in Camrys. All this doesn't mean that it doesn't happen and/or you or me have to like it. In my particular case, I've learned to adjust to what 'it' wants, as maybe your brother has. Can I 'encourage' my Avalon (an early 05) to misbehave - oh yeah - has it happened even once over the last year or 20000 miles or so - nope. Don't suppose I could get you to bite into - that your car has 'learned' to misbehave? (as ridiculous as that sounds).
    Impressed with your 'credentials' and sincerely hope that you (or your lawyers) can get some sort of satisfactory settlement out of Toyota - but still will contend that these sort of problems are becoming a 'condition of the breed' as these mfgrs. put more and more of this computer BS in our cars. If lawsuits like yours might slow down this runaway technology, I'm behind you all the way...
    I would suppose therefore that I am also a victim, as I believe all of us are.
    I have an early 2005 Avalon but have only 15,000 miles on it. May I ask how many miles your car had on it when you first heard the steering column noise? My dealer has had parts for the oil leak ordered since Jan. 10,so I am thinking that I may get him to go ahead and order the steering column and maybe it will be here by the time mine starts the problem if it does and it probably will. I have called the 1-800 number for customer service at Toyota, I have written the president of Toyota in Japan, I call my dealer regularly and I can't seem to get any answers as to why a part is taking 3 months to get to my dealer! Anyone else having this problem getting parts for the TSB's?
  • dljandkdljandk Member Posts: 4
    Yes Yes YESSSSSSS! I have that stupid ball bearing under the seat noise. It's about to drive me frickin nuts! I thought I had picked something up from the road, so I didn't ask the dealer about it. How do I fix it? Also, I have a loud pop that happens when I turn into a driveway with a curb. some kind of body flex thing. I have not pinpointed it yet. sometimes it sounds like the roof, sometimes it sounds like the trunk. I will try your proceedure for the rattle at the C pillar to see if that takes care of it. If you can help with the ball bearing thing, I'll name my next child after you!

dljandk
    I got the new and improved VVTI oil line in two days. I have NO idea why yours is taking so long to get.
    Try another Toyota dealer!!!
    HOORAY!!!!!! They finally got my parts for the oil leak and fixed it today! I told my service advisor he had better go ahead and order the steering column and whatever they have to have to fix the rotten egg smell because by the time they get the parts, I'll probably be having the problem. He laughed, but I was serious!
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    dljandk: I will write the ball-bearing fix for you this weekend. No need to name you next child after me, I have enough dependents already!!! ;)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Alan, have a look at the new CarSpace guides section. That's a great place to put "how-tos" - they are easier to find than in a discussion and when people ask you can just send them there. :)
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    Hi all,

Since this forum was a big help when I purchased my '06 Avalon XLS I figured I would give a quick one year review to help anyone looking to buy an Av.

One year 9900 miles, two oil change and tire rotations no other repairs or dealer trips have been necessary.

Fuel economy has been 20.5 - 21. Low, but I sit it traffic my entire commute and don't stretch the car's legs very often. It still does better than my '03 Av.

I haven't experienced any transmission hesitation, or other problems.

No rattles.

Things I like about the car are: Power, stereo, and the roomy interior. However, compared to my '03 the seats are not quite as comfortable and the '06 is a little noisier on the freeway. However, in all fairness, I think most of that difference is in the tires (get one with Michelins, not the Bridgestones!)

Suggested changes: "off" button for VSC/Trac, Ipod interface (so I don't have to spend $200 to have one put in again), Bluetooth.

So, all in all, I am satisfied with the car. I think it is a good mix of comfort, power, and styling! When my lease is up in two years I will most likely be getting another Avalon, unless I can afford a Lexus or maybe Infiniti M. Just for the record I am not a "typical" Avalon owner. I am 28, and remain the youngest person to buy an Avalon at my local dealer.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve