Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Just returned from the Philly auto show.

I must say, given my time in the Avalon today, Im very surprised by some of the comments on this board. I feel this design in almost every way surpasses past Avalons, and I felt the materials to be excellent. I definitely agree with the criticism behind the shirnking trunk and the lack of side moldings, but other than that... this is a very well made vehilce. Even the more basic XL with its cloth impressed me. Though I am not a fan of the coloring of the wood on the XLS and Limited, it is very well integrated into the overall design of the interior, and I very much like the clean look of the access-panel covered radio/climate controls.

The rear seat continues to be positively ginormous, and the reclining feature on the Limited was really sweet. None of the models had the batteries on, but Id imagine the Optitron instrumentation is beautiful, and I'd rather have that than sunvisor extensions, personally.

FWIW and IMHO (I was trying to use as many acros as possible), some of the critique here is really nit-picky; someone made a comment that the car looks as though it wont be as quiet as the previous generation? Um, what?

Finally, someone made a comment about Sienna supply exceeding demand based on the number on the lot- thats a very innacurate way to judge demand. You might use available incentives as a good measure- and in all regions of the country- the Sienna has none. Interestingly as well, I just received an email auto news update, and one of the vehicles with largest oversupply is the Nissan 350Z, and they only have a few at my local dealership... long story short (too late)... it depends on days of supply, which has very little to do with the number of vehicles on dealer lots.

(EX- a dealer with 100 Camrys on hand and 30 Celicas on hand would have a HUGE DoS of Celicas, but an average one of Camrys, depending on the population.)

My .02, cant wait to drive one, but SERIOUSLY, Toyota needs to offer NAV and VSC on the TOURING!!

~alpha
  • jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    $1500 is for any model.
  • calriskcalrisk Member Posts: 10
    Just placed my special order for a Limited with VSC, Laser Cruise Control, and floor mats (and nothing else). Agreed to $33630. Delivery in 6 to 8 weeks.
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    Thanks johni. That's about the type of bags we use in our group. The salesman said that it would hold them, but he also said the trunk was bigger than last year (which is not true).
  • tassotasso Member Posts: 33
    Well my dealer sold my 2003 Denali for me on last Friday, and gave me a 745i BMW 2002 to drive until the Avalon comes in.

I understand the cost cutting features. But if you want ever gizmo, but cheap plastic look towards GM and the cars I used to drive. I tell my wife the Japanese manufacturers (toyota and honda) build better quality cars, but they remove "little" features that are standard on GM much cheaper cars. Example, Honda Ody no auto on and off headlights without the expensive touring vehicles. My Sienna, at $37000 no battery auto shut off. My wifes Honda CRV, lesser models without an armrest on the inside of the passenger seat (don't they have left arms in Japan? :). ).

It is going to be hard to go from the BMW to the Avalon. But I cannot wait. Black with a spoiler and remote start.
  • ederzawiecederzawiec Member Posts: 61
    The new Camry's are uncomfortable for tall rear passengers- we just don't fit. From the published specs the headroom on the 2005 Avalon is worse. I'm not going to buy a LARGE sedan if you can only put 12 year olds in the back seat. (There are plenty of sports sedans with the features, quality and "toys" the Avalon offers if I don't need to carry adult passengers.)

I am hoping that when I actually see one, a 6 footer can fit in a 2005 Avalon without hitting their head on the roof.
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    "They could blow away GM right now if they wanted to."

I've been a dyed in wool GM buyer for years although I did slip in a Honda and Benz along the way. What I can't figure out is why they (GM) can't improve their reliability ratings and on par with or above the Japanese cars? Plus they need some models that have more sex appeal. Some may like the retro look as in the SSR, but it looks to be a very limited market (and don't see much appeal). And the Olds had more appeal than the Buick IMHO. Most important they need to develop an image of QUALITY above everything else.

But I'm off topic as this is a Toyota board.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Tasso, the Sienna does have a battery saver feature. If you leave your interior lights on say with a door ajar, they will go off in a certain amount of time preventing battery discharge.

GM is way behind the times. Their problem is they are only focused in short term gain as opposed to the Japanese manufacturers which look at the long term picture. Don't get me wrong, I'm a dyed in the wool American and would prefer to buy American but the quality and reliability is not there.

: )

Mackabee
  • luplup Member Posts: 2
    Bad! It is not! Toyota has done it again.

Go to toyota.com today for the new Avalons. The tech is so great on the web site that you can open doors, open the trunk and hood. In fact you can turn the car upside down. what a great way to help a possible customer. I have really enjoyed reading this discussion group. Thanks to everyone. I will be ordering my sixth Avalon next month.
  • bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    thanks for the report Alpha (I'm looking forward to your test drive). We're looking forward to taking a test drive ourselves sometime next week. If for some reason we don't like it, we can always get a Camry XLE V6.
  • just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    This board proves "different strokes for different folks". I am six feet and when I bought my first Avalon and now my fourth the 2005, I always sat in the back seat to check it out for room since my passengers were important to me as far as their comfort. I have a friend who is six two, if for nothing else, there is plenty of head room and with the front seats moved back all the way my friends knees as well as mine never get anywhere near the front seat, and more head room when you recline the rear seats. Now as far as side molding. The following cars from the pictures I saw in consumers Jan issue 2005 have no side molding. The Mazda Miata, Honda S2000, Cadillac STS and XLR, Infiniti FX, BMWZ4, Porsche Boxster, Lexus LS430, Jaguar S-Type,and BMW 5 Series. According to Consumers Jan issue, the following classified as large sedans on page 10, the Avalon was number one listed as excellent. On page 10 heading of "Predicted Reliability" of the best and worst. On the Best side in order of best first as follows. Lexus IS300, Acura RL (previous generation), Camry 4 cylinder, Avalon, Lexus 430, GS300, GS 430 (previous generation), Buick Regal (discontinued), Pontiac Grand Prix, Honda Sonata, and the Infiniti G35. ------------The worst were as follows in ascending order. Mercedes Benz S Class, Jaguar S-Type, BMW 7 Series, Jaguar X-Type, Mercedes benz E Class, Volvo560, or S60?, Saab 9-3, Pontiac Grand Prix supercharged, Volkswagen Passat (AWD), and the BMW 5 Series. Believing after owning three Avalons, that Toyota wasn't going to diminish the quality of the ride for 2005 since they want to become number one, I purchased my XLS as I posted earlier, knowing they might do away with some small features to pretty much hold the price to last year because of this more powerful engine and the reclining rear seat feature, and door over the radio etc., dual exhaust, the wheel base being larger and the 17 inch tires I do believe will give a better ride. The 17 inch tires alone cost more, they had to cut somewhere. So if the plastic is a little firmer but I have a better overall ride I'm a happy camper. I rarely used the extension on the sun visor, so it won't be missed. Okay, I share my thoughts and research, the rest is up to you. If you need a gigantic trunk because you put four golf bags inside or have a huge family and need plenty of space for the luggage, then an inferior car with a larger trunk might be your choice. For me, the slight loss in size is meaningless, and I will never put four loaded golf bags in my car, I have friends who have their own transportation to the golf course and where I live we take the golf cart. I still think for overall comfort, power, ride, space front and rear, this is the best value and I don't care if the rear looks like something else, personally I think it's very nice. I didn't expect a Mercedes for this price, and if you read above best and worse, why purchase a Mercedes unless a name plate is important to you. I would rather have the additional bucks for something else.
    One last thing. If you go to www.Toyota.com like mcardle said, you will see side molding at the bottom of the doors which may or may not prevent dings?? In some cases yes, and in some I guess not. Honestly I have gotten dings on most of my cars with side molding in the center anywhere. It depends on whats coming at you, someone opening the door of their car next to yours, or the shopping cart at a supermarket, or whatever else.
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    Jordan7, at least 1 dealer has told me in an e-mail that they will be charging MSRP for awhile. I posted that e-mail here last week. It is Ourisman Toyota in Md.

MikeS.
  • fd1000fd1000 Member Posts: 47
    Can anyone confirm, with absolute certainty, that the 2005 Avalon Limited, is available with Graphite Leather?

The Toyota website, is now fully up to date. Which means you can now officially price and build a new 2005 Avalon.

The site DID allow me to choose an Avalon Limited, and gave me the option of Graphite Leather.

HOWEVER, I don't know if I trust the website at this point.

The reason is, the website does NOT offer the metallic red color for the Limited.

Now I absolutely know that the metallic red is available, because there is a metallic red 2005 Toyota Avalon Limited with pictures, listed on Ebay.

So, does anyone have any idea?

Thanks!
    One more question...

When choosing the interior color, are both wood colors available for each interior color?

Or is the blonde wood only available with the tan interior, and the dard wood only available with the grey/graphic leather?

(There is no option on the Toyota website, when building one)
  • jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    Why go to Ourisman when you can go on the web to Fitzgerald.com and pay the $1500 above invoice. Dealers get what they can and it is a big game. With Fitzgerald it is cut and dry. Get the price on the web site and pay your money.
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    Mackabee:

Can you please comment, since you are in a good position, as to the difference in ride quality, handling, stability, in the Touring versus the other models when you have the opportunity. Also, could you please compare the difference in the HID versus Halogen lights both on low and high beams.

Thank for your real world comments, both good and bad. Some of us appreciate both, and try to distance ourselves for the emotional upheavel of the the new model year.

abfisch
  • barrygelbarrygel Member Posts: 5
    Would you mind telling us what the $33630 price includes? Is that with delivery charge, additional dealer add ons, tax,title, etc? My local dealer said a special order would take 3-4 months.

thanks
    BARRYGEL:

I once upon a time did a special order, on a 02 Avalon. I swore to myself, I would never do that again. Not sure if I could keep that promise, but I can recommend to you, that if you at all can, either wait, shop around further, and buy one that you can drive and see that is on the lot. It wasn't worth the wait and the tumult again. If they don't have it, you either don't need it or go somewhere else.

abfisch
    Don't forget they also added a knee bag and front and rear side curtain air bag, all this cost money, along with the other stuff I mentioned in my earlier post above, so they had to take it elsewhere. Would you rather have the extension on the sun visor or the additional air bags? I would rather have these air bags, and to repeat myself this 2005 Avalon is approximately $200 plus over the 2004. I'm sure you would agree what they added cost more then what they took away.
    I SAID, "According to Consumers Jan issue, the following classified as large sedans on page 10, the Avalon was rated number one and listed as excellent". THAT WAS ON PAGE 7 IN CONSUMERS REPORT, SORRY.
  • calriskcalrisk Member Posts: 10
    barrygel--

The $33630 includes everything but tax and license (so includes the delivery charge). MSRP for the vehicle was $35529. The only options I wanted (and ordered) were VSC, Laser Cruise Control, and floor mats. No port or dealer installed add ons. Car is scheduled to be built on Feb 28.
  • burlburl Member Posts: 40
    Hi All

I have been thinking about this since Saturday

Keeps coming up the same ananswer........Wifend I went to drive it and Buy it, thats when the problem started.

Sitting in it showed us it was a nice, but not paparticullayxexeraltingice car, but at least it looked better to us at least in our choice of color cocombationsPearl white/ Tan interior

Drove the car by ourselves were back in 5 minutes

Both drove it and agreed our impressions of it were Same reactions: It was a nice car

It was wonderfully quick, ran like a rocket. I still love that. I really do

The 12 speaker radio was one of the best that we have ever heard ,super sound .

Handled very well for a family car

Now comes the not so perfect part:

It was not any ququiterhan our present Avalon at idle or on the road. It sounded wonderful at full ththrotleut We were not impressed other wise

There was as has brought up in this room a Hitch in the ththrotlehen you asked it to go fast, not

terrible but not right either.

The trans was not as smooth as expected and tended to hunt a ltlttleit for which Gear to use. I will grant that the car had only 50 miles on it and I would hope that would at least improve as the trans did it's Learning thing.

It just did not feel like a momodletep up in Value ??????????

The interior did not have a "Boy Oh Boy this is really nice impression", but it was not teterribeleither.

To make the story shorter.We had come to perchase.

Did not even talk seriously about the price With

the salesman.

We are now thinking about an 2004 avalon with low miles or more likely a used Lexis RX330

I was really Suprised.

Just our homble impressons. Thanks for your time and interest.
    abfisch, as soon as I get a chance to drive them I will. Our fist two have been sold and we're expecting an XLS and another Limited any day now. However, I'm a firm believer of not taking test drives on just released vehicles as most customers that are paying this kind of money don't want any miles on their new car. And I don't blame them. I will probably take one for a drive when we have a few on the lot and give you guys my assessment. One of my colleagues did drive the Touring model last night before it was sold and he made the comment that it was the one to get. He's 35 so he goes more for the firm sporty ride.

Mackabee
    I just don't know what people expect out of this car. The exterior is way better looking than the last generation, the dash is miles ahead also, I never cared for the "Buick" recessed dash design either. However, it sold to it's intended market. This new design is intended for a broader market and it will more than likely achieve that.

Mackabee
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    Anybody seen a touring? Done any negotiations on one?
    You should finish the sentence. "for the XL model!!" As I have stated several years ago, Toyota is a master as packaging electronics and bumping it up a notch. There was no Avalon for 36K a year ago.

They sock it to ya, for all the electronic gizmos.

abfisch
    Mcardle:

I hope that you are very rich, or someone else is footing the bill, if this is your sixth Avalon. For a car which has excellent reliability and fair resale value, six private sales for those who pay cash, is cost prohibitive.

abfisch
  • mcardlemcardle Member Posts: 36
    "Just me" said I referred people to the website, and now this. Not a big deal, but for those that are keeping score at home...

The poster "lup" wrote message # 1399, which dealt (in part) with my talking about there being no key access to the trunk. He then mentioned the website and buying multiple Avalons over the years.

I'm probably one of the youngest on this board (31) and not rich... otherwise I'd be eyeing up an LS430 instead of a Limited Avalon. Hopefully the Toyota can make me feel like a million bucks, or at least $55,675 (MSRP).
    MY APOLOGIES. I STAND CORRECTED. IT IS THE OTHER GUY. HE MUST BE RICH, AND HAVE A MONEY TREE. PERSONALLY, I COULDN'T STAND TO HAVE 5 AVALONS, AS I TAKE ABOUT A YEAR OR SO, JUST TO GET USED TO A NEW VEHICLE.

THANKS.

abfisch
  • cjileongcjileong Member Posts: 9
    Okay, so this is just for trivia's sake, but has anyone confirmed the model code for the new Avalon?

i.e. 95-99 = MCX10

00-04 = MCX20

05 = ?
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    Hey jordon7. What is Fitzgerald.com? It doesn't look like a auto website to me.
    Mackabee my car came in yesterday, the XLS in Desert Sand Mica. The only thing added are the mats and cargo mats. I love the color and feel good sitting in the car, it takes off like a rocket as some one here said, so I have to be easy on the pedal till I break it in. Mackabee, sometimes I get the feeling from reading your posts that you work for a Toyota Dealer, and I don't mean that in a bad way, just the opposite because you have been very honest on this board. I agree with you, I don't know what people expect. They want the Lexus 430 for 25 or 30 thousand less. I used to drive my cars till they fell apart, now I got crazy and have been trading them in every couple of years, but I will ride this 2005 for at least 4 years, it has everything I want. It may not be glamorous inside based on some of the materials Toyota employed but as I posted earlier they took away some things and gave back in my opinion much more just with the additional air bags as a start.
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    just me, just for the record, I thought you were kidding about Mackabee and then I realized from your profile you have not been with Edmunds too long. To find out more about Mackabee go to any of his posts click on his name and his profile will answer your question/feeling.
  • jlsextonjlsexton Member Posts: 302
    I looked at a 2005 Avalon yesterday but it was parked between other cars and was already sold, it appeared to be a typical TOYOTA, that is, well built, not really stylish, I really don't know why it was kept so secret, at least in my area, Monroe NY. It appears that the dealers are going to try to RAPE the consumer, at least from what I've been reading on this forum, so to all of you who like to be number one and pay through the nose to be first, I wish you well. I will wait until Sept or Oct or until I get the deal I want or I'll buy a Beemer and pay a little more but I will not let any company or dealer RAPE me. Also where is EDMUNDS on all this, they don't even have a price yet.
  • mcardlemcardle Member Posts: 36
    abfisch - no worries. I just wanted to clear the water a bit.

As for actually buying, when I got my Highlander 3 years ago, the "prices paid" board was VERY useful. Could those of you who are taking the plunge please take a moment to visit the supplemental board up to the left.

I think this will lead there as well:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef17774

In Milwaukee, we're known to be a little frugal, so I will most certainly be doing a little checking around before dropping $30k+. And the more research available, the better.

Thanks everyone, for making this board a valuable resource.
  • tassotasso Member Posts: 33
    In my already presold opinion, I was getting really nervous reading all the recent posts, but I was seriously considering just buying the BMW 745i 2002 with 26000 they were loaning me - BUT no. This Avalon is great

Great thigh support front and rear seats. The seat extender is way nicer than the 745s. It unfolds rather than sliding a separate section out. No crumbs in the groove nor catching your thigh when you adjust it. Unfortunately just for the driver. Plenty of leg room, esp in the rear.

Rear seats amazing comfort and leg room, equal to BMW, but not heated.

Power sunshade operates without grinding, none on this BMW.

Quiet up front, equal to the 745. Undercarriage a little bit more noise, but still super quiet.

Stereo to Limited Avalon wow.

Finish, well the Avalon is 89% the quality of the 745, but there is a difference. However, they are not intended as competition.

Smooth shifts, little hesitation on hard acceleration. No guessing on gears.

Lots of great storage in center console.

Overall, very very happy. It is 89% of the 745i 2002 they loaned me, PLUS SMART key - love it already.

BLows away my 2001 Aurora, the Lacrosse I looked at. I do not like 300Ms so it is no contest,and I have rented them several times. I prefer more window space.

Acura TL is an entirely different feel. This feels big, it does not. Way quieter than the TL. You will not scratch the fake wood in the Avalon trying to connect your seat belt, as is a frequent complaint on the TL.

The door comparments DO pop out. Glove box is good sized. Trunk is nice, not huge, but nice enough for 95% of daily activites.

Very Happy I bought it. A previous GM lover. I get the lip spoiler next week, and they are including the winter mats.
  • jlsextonjlsexton Member Posts: 302
    I'm happy for you but what did you pay over invoice. That to me is the criteria, what one pays for the thrill of a new ride.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Thats not true. A full dress 2004 XLS with NAV, rain sensing wipers, etc rung up $36,100 on the register.

~alpha
    Buckwheat, thank you, I did click on Macabee (after realizing I have to reply to one of his messages to activate his name so clicking on it would bring me to his profile) and he see he is part of Toyota, but also sad to see about his colon and just wish him the very best and Prayers. So I wasn't kidding Buckwheat. I posted here to learn and hear the comments. Even so my decision based on all my research was this 2005 was for me and I love it. The door over the radio is a very nice feature, finally I don't have to go in there with a rag to clean up the dust between the dials, yes I'm one of those clean fanatics. I love what someone referred to as cheesy wood color, the picture didn't do it any justice, it's very nice, but once again some folks like blue, some like red, etc. etc., you can never please everyone, but in the end I went for the reliability of the Avalon and my experience so far with the other three I have had. For me and my wife it has been perfect in every way.Take care.
  • ijoubertijoubert Member Posts: 2
    I'm just looking for the XL model as my business car. I've seen pics of the interiors of the more pricy models, but not the base model. Any tips?
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    The web site seems to be running better now; overall, it's now catching up to where sites like Acura have been for some time, regarding interactivity. Surprising they did it in stages, so some parts, like color choice were screwed up for a while; they were even still showing pictures of the 2004 Avalon. Regarding the interior wood color, I'm not sure where I read it, but I'm fairly sure there is no choice on the color: blonde wood goes with ivory and light grey interiors, dark wood goes with dark grey.
  • doninildoninil Member Posts: 8
    I called my dealer this afternoon and asked this same question. They don't know and are calling Toyota to find out for sure. The blond is quite ugly.
  • doninildoninil Member Posts: 8
    According to the brochure I picked up from my dealer the Graphite Leather is available in the limited. It does NOT show a metallic red exterior for any model.
  • prince812prince812 Member Posts: 35
    Mackabee,

First I too hope you a speedy and full recovery. You are a great help to this board. To everyone, this board has been absolutely priceless in preparing me to purchase this car. I have learned way more than otherwise possible and was reasonable knowledgeable when shopping and negotiating a deal. Thanks to all.

Secondly I agree...I am not sure what this car can do to impress everyone or what people really expect from this car. It is a major improvement over the 2004- which I did not even consider due to the exterior style, and interior recessed dash. At 43 yrs old, I was just not ready to go that route.

But IMHO no single vehicle can be all things for the price the Limited goes for. For everything you get in the way of techhnology and electronics one would have to go up to the RL or one of the other imports and spend appr. 10k more comparing apples to apples.

I would like your opinion (and any others with experience) on this. How important do you feel it is to get dark (graphite) interior in order to not show staining, especially since I am leasing and may be responsible.

I made a deal in theory for a Titanium with light gray interior, but am considering going with the Phantom in order to get the graphite interior. In my area - Northern CA - most interiors are light.Any thoughts out there are appreciated.
    Well, after reading and reading on this forum about the new Avalon, my local dealership finally got one in today, and I went over for a test drive. (Avalon Limited with Laser Cruise Control, no Nav)

What was my impression? I liked it! My only nit pik was I wish the steering wheel telescoped a little more, despite that, I was able to find a good seating position.

I intend to take a more indepth test drive in the near future, but here are a few thoughts.

I noticed that I started to like the car more, after driving it for just 10 minutes or so. I am a firm believer in taking a LONG test drive. The reason is simple. You are not use to this car. Driving a new car is like trying on a pair of new shoes, which pair feels better? The new ones, or your old ones? Well, we all know our old shoes feel better, but we know the new shoes are a better shoe. The same can apply to new cars.

I remember a few years ago test driving a fully loaded Cadillac STS, and came away thinking, OK, nice car. Then I took another test drive a few months later, a longer test drive. I really relaxed and just drove the car instinctively. I came away wowwed!

Even though my test drive tonight was fairly short, I could feel the car starting to win me over. The laser cruise control is so sweet, just love it, and could see using it all the time.

So my closing point, and advice to all, is take the car for a nice, long test drive. Not a around the block type thing. Relax, enjoy the car, then make your decision.

Thanks!
    I used Ourisman as an example of where I've been shopping in the greater DC area. Ourisman says flat out MSRP. I have checked FitzMall and they do offer a much better price. I was at Younger in Hagerstown tonight and Dave the GSM told me they'd come down "A Little" from MSRP. I'll be looking closer at Fitz tomorrom, the 9th.
    Use WWW.FitzMall.Com
    Yeah, why isn't my favorite car website up to date??? Come on Edmunds get with the times!

MikeS.
    I took the wife and our 3.5 yr old out for a spin tonight in a LTD. The stealer didn't have any XLSs on the lot. We really liked the car and were totally impressed with it. I'm 6'5" and weigh in at 350, no small people in my family. I was totally comfortable in the back seat.

I've had problems before hitting, actually rubbing, my head on the head liner with other Toyota's that have a moonroof. Not on this puppy! I had plenty of room in both the front and back, including head and leg room.

Before tonight I had pretty much sold myself on an XLS but after using the DLC and the NAV system and after talking with the wife we've pretty much decided on a LTD. Whats another 3K anyways?

As soon as I get off of here I'm gonna go check FitzMall and see what they have in a LTD, then I'll recheck Koon's. Both of these dealers are in the DC area and I bought my '03 Sienna at Koon's 2 years ago this month.

Younger Toyota in Hagerstown told me tonight that they'd come down a little from MSRP but the GSM told me the line about being an all new hot car with limited availability that it wouldn't be too much off. I've got enough Scots in me to be a hard barginer.

MikeS.