Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• 91199119119911 Member Posts: 54
    Return the favor to Auto Zone...buy their Ignition coil and install it,if you have question's on how....I'm sure they'll direct you.

Cj
  • joeymonsterjoeymonster Member Posts: 3
    autozone doesn't carry the ignition coil for the new model avalon. and we don't know which coil to replace. there's 3 coils on 2005+ avalon. at least that's what i know from this forum.
  • doobredoobre Member Posts: 42
    avvy05 - Do you now if there is a TSB for other markets? I'm interested in the Middle East, since I have had transmision problems with my 05 since day one, but the dealer here says there is no TSB for that issue in this area.
    cheers
  • weavercityweavercity Member Posts: 11
    I've experienced a number of problems mentioned in the article below with my 05 Avalon.( steering shaft, oil leaks and transmission) I'd be interested in opinions about the quality of the 07 & 08 models from current owners. :confuse:

Toyota Avalon proving 'problematic' as quality concerns grow for automaker

Posted May 2nd 2006 12:33PM by Chris Paukert
    Filed under: Car Buying, Trends, Sedans/Saloons, Plants/Manufacturing, Recalls/TSBs, Toyota

It's fair to say that Toyota's reputation for bulletproof quality has been enduring a few hits lately, and the 2006 Avalon looks like it will add to the discussion. With service bulletin issued for everything from bad catalytic converters to oil-supply line leaks and bad U-joint welds, the nameplate's largest and most expensive offering is leaving many owners frustrated.

While the automaker has declined to get specific about the Avalon's problems, adjustments are being made to the car's assembly lines. But even though the model is early in its production cycle, the automaker isn't getting a free pass from the media - Consumer Reports' quality metric has dipped to 'average' - below major competitors like the Ford Five Hundred, Buick LaCrosse and Kia Amanti. The magazine's survey has turned up issues in steering, body integrity and suspension.

(Click through to the jump for more details and the link!)

According to AutoWeek, many company loyalists are upset with the perceived quality lapses - and given that Toyota customers have been accustomed to vehicles that have consistently scored well on the reliability charts, it may unwittingly have created a public-relations problem of its own design. Company loyalists that have come to expect consistency in quality are arguably pre-conditioned to excellence, and are audibly more frustrated when their expectations are not met.

Analysts, critics, and marque devotees alike fear Toyota's rapid expansion has taken the automaker's eye off the quality ball. What do you think? Check out the AutoWeek article here, then sound off in 'Comments.'

[Source: AutoWeek]
  • jlsextonjlsexton Member Posts: 302
    I purchased my 06 Limited the end of June of 06, I never buy the first year and this is probably an 07 production. As with my Camry I have had NO problem as of yet but I only have about 9000 miles on it. From day one it has been great and on the road I get over 30 MPG, sometimes 33, around town I get about 21 BUT I put Sunoco gas in the other day and my mileage went down to under 18 MPG. Today I put in an off brand from a Stewart's shop and the mileage on the road for a short trip jumped to 29 MPG, I will never use Sunoco again. I am sorry all you 05's got zonked, so I'll say again, NEVER buy the first year, let someone else be the guinea pig
    The 06 Avalon was no prize either. I have a great 1994 Toyota truck (bought new)but had to take Toyota to arbitration on the Avalon, which I won. The transmission wanted to stop sometimes when I was attempting to merge into traffic. During the arbitration the Toyota Rep, acted like I was nut's. Little did he know that there had been a TSP out for 6 weeks to fix the transmission problem. When I presented the TSP he acted like he never heard about it. I said all that to say this, the upper echelon in Toyota are quiet arrogant and non supportive when you have a problem,so, if you have a problem don't expect much support because their car's DON'T break.
  • jlsextonjlsexton Member Posts: 302
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, mine as stated prior has been great. As far as arbitration, I have my son's highschool friend who is a great lawyer and arbitrator, as in suing. In NY we have an implied warranty.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    TMK, the new Avalon (even the 05 model) has always beeen rated 'better than average' by CR, the same rating it has had for years and years, and the same rating it had before it was a truly new design - meaning 04 models and earlier) . My 05 did suffer from those oil leak/steering 'teething problems' being manufactured in 02-05 but has been otherwise BULLETPROOF - for 75k now. Sorry if you had particular problems with your particular car, things like that do happen, but the reliability surveys you reference DO NOT support your contentions.
    And yes, CR did decide to remove its 'automatic approval' ratings on Toyotas in general but I think you'll find that was largely due to some mechanical tranny issues in the early new Camrys and nothing to do with the Avalon. Agree with you on the arrogance contention though.
  • question5question5 Member Posts: 1
    My inurance company is claiming that an aftermarket windshield is equal to a genuine toyota w/s. The cost is about $ 1,000.00 more to get the toyota w/s. Is there any way to prove that the toyota w/s is superior to the aftermarket.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    Do you have a Limited? If you do then yes the OE windshield is of the "noise reducing" type. It is noted as a feature on the Limited. If you have one of the other trims, I would think an aftermarket is fine.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

WITH 40+ YEARS IN THE AUTO BODY REPAIR BUSINESS, THE SPECIALTY SHOP'S DO THE BEST JOB,THE REASON IS BECAUSE THEY SPECIALIZE...SAFELITE HAS ALWAYS DONE A GOOD JOB FOR ME IN REPAIRING CRACKS AND REPLACEMENT.

CHEERS,
    Cj
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    Be aware that there are two types of alternative replacement windshields available. There are OEM replacements which are 100% identical to the manufacturer's and may be made by the same company without the Toyota logo. They are manufactured exactly to Toyota's specifications.

Then there are "aftermarket" replacements which are manufactured by other companies who may not have had access to the original design documents and have essentially been cloned. The dimensions have been established by reverse engineering orginal windshields, so the fit may not be exact and problems like wind and water leaks can result, as well as creaks and other noises resulting from an ill-fitting windshield. These are usually the cheapest which is why your insurance company wants to install one of these.
    You have the right to select the windshield you want, and if you want a 100% factory replacement so that nobody knows the windshield was ever replaced, then you should get the Toyota branded windshield.
    It is very important to have an experienced techician do the replacement, so do not go for the el cheapo, volume replacement shop that your insurance company recommends. Ask your Toyota dealer who they send their vehicles to.

Remember that the insurance company is acting in their interest, not yours so you have to do (and push) for what's best for you.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    First, if you take it to the dealer so as to get a factory original, approved, windshield replacement and then watch carefully you may get to see your car being moved to the nearest dealer "approved" (read: kickback...) body shop.

That $1000 cost differential is a bit to much for the dealer to ignore.

Second, and possibly a bit more important, the factory supplied windshield was purchased with "beancounter rules", so the aftermarket windshield is likely to be of even better quality than the factory originals. Over the years I have encountered so very many aftermarket replacement components that were clearly improved over the factory originals I am now extremely reluctant to have factory approved as my first choice,
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Ditto what alan said - I put one of those "just as good as" windshields into my Lincoln Navigator once, for "a lot less money"...... One corner was so far up over the frame, they had to squirt goop under the seal to fill in the giant hole it left! Never again, I spend the money for the right one now.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    If you have a Limited than you have the acoustic windshield. It keeps the car quieter than other windshields. I would insist the put a new one. It's your car. :)
    The majority of Toyota dealers have their own body shops. Most customers don't see them because they are normally located behind the service bay or away from the main showroom.

Right now I'm in a fight with an insurance co. that shall remain nameless to protect the guilty. My middle son's car was hit or rather he t-boned a stupid girl that was on the cell phone and made an illegal left turn. The Infiniti QX45 Suv, barely missed her and it was obstructing my son's view so he slammed into the passenger side of the car. The girl was not hurt, her car suffered door damage and rear window shattered. My son's car was pretty bad. The front bumper was off and the headlights were done with and there was other damage. Total estimate was around $4100.00 to repair. I insisted they use new parts as they were going to use re-mans and salvage parts. However they outsmarted themselves as they ordered new parts and they were sitting at the body shop ready to be installed and then they cancelled the order and sent used parts. A fender they took off another car, and who knows what else. In the meantime they paid for a week's rental, and the final repair tally was $4000.00 so they didn't save a dime.
    Mack
    Hi... I have been thru the 'complaints process' here in Dubai with my Avalon 05 transmission. You say you won your arbitration case. Can you give me any pointers on how best to proceed and succeed.. what if anything in particular tipped the balance your way..

Any help would be great, of course here in the Middle East Toyota do not even have the TSB issued.

email me if you like, clivedelves@yahoo.com
    cheers
    "The majority of Toyota dealers have their own body shops.."

Not around here, not one.

The majority...??

I doubt that, sincerely doubt it.
  • rkestnerrkestner Member Posts: 1
    My '02 Avalon leather steering wheel is a mess. I would like to replace it with an '03 Avalon sheering wheel. Are they inter-changable? I have an LXS model car. The '03 wheel is a combination of leather and wood (plastic).
    Sorry I have been so slow getting back to you. First look at forum # 13720 and 13721, the latter gives the link to the TSB as written by Toyota.If they refuse to do the TSB, that's enough to go to Arbitration.

If you need to go to arbitration, ensure you have well documented facts ie. Time, date, place of occurance and get letters from individuals that was riding with you
    My problem started at 300 mi., so each time I took the car in I gave a copy in-detail of what the transmission had done, I kept an exact copy in my computer for future ref and use, you will also need a copy of the repair order. I also kept a running history on every time the shop worked on it,all of these I presented to the Arbitration Board. The big kicker was the TSB came out 6 weeks before Arbitration, they had never called me to have it done, neither did the Toyota Rep. that came to Arbitration know it existed. I know he was very arrogant during the meeting and offered no apologies for me having to put up with a piece of ____for little over a year, all the while they're telling me it 's how you hold your foot on the pedal yak-yak-yak.

No one ever considered the fact that I was a certified Claims Adjustor,with 40+ years. We're just dummies that won't go away.

I bought a 2005 Lexus that had the same problem only 17,000 Mi. I took it in to the Lexus dealer and they did the TSB and it drove great afterward.

One other thing if you do go to Arbitration, have an ASE certified mechanic inspect your car, the price here is around $250.00 and with that he was contacted during the Arbitration and explained in detail what the car was doing and his suggestion for remedy,

I hope this has helped, if not, let me know and with your procedures there I may be able to guide you through the process. First I would have to see the rules of arbitration in Dubai, as well as your repair orders.

Good luck,
    If I can help further hit reply.

Cheers
    I assume that wasn't a Lexus ES3xx or RX3xx you purchased as they have the same 1-2 second "re-acceleration" transaxle downshift delay/hesitation problem as do the FWD and F/AWD Toyota's.

Lexus' answer:

SOP, Standard Operational Procedure.

'That's the way it was designed to work.."

How VERY true...!!

Flawed design, VERY, but working as designed.
    The Lexus was a 2005 RX330, same hesitation the Avalon had (intermittant hesitation) The dealer complied with the stated TSP and I never had anymore problems, if it's SOP, strange the TSP remidied my problem. I have since sold the 330 and bought a Caddy CTS 2008 model, a far better ride. Lexus had a crossover with their RX up through 2003, but, 2004 and up rides like a truck...and basically the suspension is just that, safe...agreed, reliable...agreed, but for comfort...lousy.

To those of you that may dis the Caddy, see Motor Trend's comment's on the CTS....Motor trend car of the year. Some of you disbelievers in american car's may want to check out some of the cars available...there's a lot to be said for improvement, especially GM product's.

To Dubai, hope the info helped you.

Cheers
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    For those not yet aware, the long-awaited TSB for the 2005 Avalon DOES cure the original transmission misbehaviors. Mine shifts wonderfully smoothly ever since it was fixed last year.

Doobre, messages # 13720 and 13721 give a link to the Toyota USA TSB. Toyota Canada's similar TSB came out some weeks later. In Dubai they may never issue a local TSB; but if the car is the same, you should have a strong case to have Toyota Dubai agree to fix yours in the same way. Hope they will!
    Thanks both of you guys...
    I did check the old messages but the link doesn't work for me. it is 'protected' by something and then goes to www.moli.com....... which is blocked by my ISP.

I would really like to get hold of the document to stick in the face of the dealership.
    EG033-07 is the one I need. ANYONE GOT A COPY..???

However dealer says they have contacted TMC and were advised that it does not apply to the VIN# brought out here. Perhaps they did contact TMC perhaps not, but with the document in my hand I would feel more like taking it to them and sticking it somewhere....

The main issue is that dealer says TMC have checked the car in sept05 and found it operates as expected (they did take it for a short test drive, but how hard did they look?)... TMC says I should contact the dealer...

so I am stuck in the middle at the moment.

9919911 - your way of documenting the situation is very complete and should leave no room for discussion.. I have some documentation, but the dealer here is very careful not to have any extras on the work order... and would not include any of my documents along with theirs 'in the files'. as it were... so I have been sending letters to them listing the things that have gone on. Its not just the tranmission...
    Q.. have an ASE certified mechanic inspect your car.. what is ASE?

I have recently complained thru email to the Dubai municipality chamber of Commerce consumer complaints dept. perhaps they will be interested..??

cheers for all the advise...
    "TSP remidied MY problem...."

Exactly.

I wasn't aware that Lexus was already "back-fitting" the NCF, New Car Feature, that attempts to solve the problem for at least one of the '09 models, but I'm certainly not at all surprised.

But yes, I have little doubt that for some drivers the NCF will make the "re-acceleration" problem arising for the design flaw virtually a non-issue.
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    Well, I checked the link in message #13721 -- unfortunately it's corrupted. Good thing that your ISP protected you.

I have a print of the Canadian TSB that I downloaded last year, but can't find a link to a free source now. If you don't mind paying, try mycarstats.com.

Someone else may know a free web source -- maybe a Toyota site? :)
    ASE means That the mechanic has been certified by the National Institute of Automobile Service Excellence ASE. If you need to know more, type What Does ASE mean into your search engine and follow the link.

I do have a copy of the TSP but it's for the 06 and 07 models. There is one for 05's as well but, you will have to get the Toyota dealer to get you one, if they don't help, there's a Phone number in your owners/warranty manual. Don't hesitate to call them, they put their pant's on the same way you do. If you're to get anything done you must get agressive.

Failing this, you may want to contact a Lawyer, you may find a Pro Bona, but I doubt it in Dubai.

Good Luck
  • pcc49pcc49 Member Posts: 25
    I have a '06 Limited that performed beautifully after the dealer installed the transmission TSB. The TSB, however is EG029-07 with a release date of June 6, 2008. I do have a copy of this release in .pdf format. If you would like a copy, send me your email address.

Pat
    Thanks pco49.. I have EG029-07 already..
  • im1941im1941 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a new 2006 Avalon XLS. The fuel mileage was an unbelivable 31+ mpg easily. Right after the 5000 mile service the mileage dropped by 5 mpg. The dealer could not find any reason for the drop. "No Codes No Problem." I have since on my own replaced the Mass Air Flow Sensor and the two upper O2 sensors making no change in the mileage. It is my next guess there is a problem with the ECU but before I go to that expense I thought I would see if there is anyone out there that already knows or suspects a solution to the problem.
    understanding where you came from - but do you really think that 26 mpg is poor FE? That's about what I gotten on mine for 75000 miles now!
  • sbmansbman Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2006 Touring. My mileage dropped about the same when the gas was switched to the 10% alcohol mix. I also notice better mileage using name brand gas. I was getting 32+ on the road and 21 around town.
  • neil5neil5 Member Posts: 118
    I just rode mine down the state. 33.4 mpg with air on. I put mobile one oil with fuel miser..at walmart synthetic oil
    You don't say whether or not you reset the engine/transaxle ECU. That should have been a standard procedure when you replace any of the engine emissions control components.

If you didn't then that might be worth a try.

Just one bad tank of gas and the resulting knock sensor tripping will result in the engine running at a higher RPM and/or enriched to avoid knock/ping due to lugging.
  • retired7retired7 Member Posts: 133
    A few suggestions: Check your tires. Try pumpiing them up to 35 psi and try using Mobil 1 all synthetic motor oil. Also, be sure your air filter has been changed.
  • im1941im1941 Member Posts: 2
    I tried all the obvious things like tire pressure, air filter and different brands and grades of gas. I should add that the dealer did all the wrenching not me so any resetting of the computer should have been done. I did not try the synthetic oil since I found very little improvement when I tried it in my previous vehicle (certainly not 5 mpg) and I doubt the original oil was synthetic. In the last 50,000 miles I have gotten 31+ on two tanks and both times I was above 6,000 feet in elevation for the whole tank. I don't know if that is a clue to anything. The dealer keeps saying if there is no code signals then there is nothing he can do. I still think it has to have something to do with the computer not functioning correctly.
  • highroller2highroller2 Member Posts: 16
    Anyone have a good on-line source for this part?
  • sbmansbman Member Posts: 12
    Try this link. I bought several air cabin filters from them at a reasonable price.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Auto-Parts/10101.jcw
  • highroller2highroller2 Member Posts: 16
    Worked out well. Thanks for the help
    You shouldn't need pictures or diagrams for the cabin filter it is easy and will take less than 5 minutes.

1:) Empty the glove box
    2:) On the right side of the glove box remove the (1) screw holding the little "shock" in place
    3:) Squeeze in the sides of the box and gently pull down, the entire box will swing out of the way
    4:) behind the door will be the fliter housing, open it and pull out the fliter and replace it in the same orientation it came out.
    5: Reverse the steps to put it all back together.

• pfarleypfarley Member Posts: 1
    Still need help after reading the instruction such as
    On the right side of the glove box remove the (1) screw holding the little "shock" in place

There is no screw but there is a plastic cross item that seems resistant to turn and what is the little shock. Is the screw inside or on the outside of the glove box interior?
  • rpfingstenrpfingsten Member Posts: 154
    If I'm not mistaken, the shock resembles a piece of "flex" tubing. This is what allows your glove box door to open slowly instead of just falling to the end of the hinge when you open it.

Roland
  • rpfingstenrpfingsten Member Posts: 154
    I'm sorry, I forget to tell you the screw is inside the glove box..
    The instructions above your post are for the '05+ Avalon the previous generation is a bit more difficult to change. I did it on my '03 and just don't remember it well enough to help, hopefully someone who did it recently on a 2000 - 04 can chime in here. I seem to remember having to remove the panel under the glove box, then removing a few bolts to drop the glove box in order to get access behind it.

• retired7retired7 Member Posts: 133
    Request feedback from owners on high mileage 2005+ Avys on any repair/maintenance surprises you may have encountered..

NWBlizzard
  • wilsongkwilsongk Member Posts: 6
    Hi:

Just purchased a 2005 Avalon and found out later that it has the remote start option. I cannot figure out how this works. Can anyone help me with an explanation. There is no button on the smart key.

Thanks
    keith
  • soccerphsoccerph Member Posts: 3
    Keith,

If it works like my '06, press the "lock" button twice within 2 seconds, then press once more and hold for 3 seconds. Engine should start.

Of course, as we all complain about on here, as soon as you unlock the door, the engine will stop again........ :mad:
    75k 05 model = $0
    You are lucky if you don't get one with the crap tranmission.. that is a big surprise for a so called "top of the range"..

after only 85,000KMS replaced the power steering pump, steering rack, paint peeling, rotten eggs smell with hard acceleration.. exactly the same problems with my workmate's car.. more surprise to come I am sure..

its a crap car.. period..

if you haven't yet don't.. if you have good luck..
    You've must have gotten a Chinese counterfeit one. Haven't seen that many problems as you state on any Toyota.
    ;)
    Mack :lemon: