Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• clarence10clarence10 Member Posts: 57
    Hi, I am about to purchase a 2006 Avalon limited w 37k miles on it. Seems in rather good shape.

1st, is there anyway to add Bluetooth?

2nd, I spoke to toyota this morning and said I could purchase the Platinum warranty at a dealer for $1600.

From what I am reading, this can be had for cheaper. What would be a good legitament price?

Also, anything i should be aware of? any questions I should ask or things to look out for?

Toyota said there were no recalls for this model.

How comfortable are the front seats for long drives?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    It could be that Toyota is more at fault here, in this case, than is Sears.

One of the brake rotors may be unbalanced or slightly off-center tire/wheel mounting and you will only discover that the first time you dismount a wheel and do not remount it in exactly the same position, lug-to-lug.

Sears may have done a PERFCT job balancing the tire/wheel with justified expectation that the car aspects, rotor, etc, were within reasonable tolerance.
  • ron6ron6 Member Posts: 27
    I also have an 05 Avalon. At 35,000 miles they replaced the steering column (inside the cabin, not under the hood) under a warranty repair because the steering had been making a "clunking" noise. At 58,000 I noticed a similar noise coming from the steering column at low speeds while turning left or right. Took it in today and they did a fix under TSB-0296-08. Had to put a grease fitting assembly on the intermediate steering shaft, lower down, below the steering column, a different problem from the previous fix. This one was not covered under the warranty and the bill was abut $225. I'm not happy about it but this is the first real repair I've had in 63,000 miles.
  • snoopy185snoopy185 Member Posts: 8
    I am looking at purchasing a used Avalon ('07 or '08). I have read that the Touring has a slightly stiffer/sportier suspension. For those who have driven both, is there really a significant difference in the Touring suspension/handling and that of the XL or XLS?
  • highroller2highroller2 Member Posts: 16
    sears automotive is absolutely notorious for bad work. Se the message boards. all sorts of complaints. I wouldn't let them put air in my tires
    Hi, I just purchased a 2006 Avalon Limited. How can I reset the Avg MPG? I could not find any info in the users manual and seem to have tried everything.

Thanks, Dave
  • irishknightirishknight Member Posts: 1
    My wife has had this occur a few times, I just washed off the engine, to make sure it was not from grime, we took it for a drive, and yes there is a faint burning plastic/rubber smell coming from around the exhaust, catalitic? area.
    any help would be grand
    thanks
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    How can I reset the Avg MPG

You cant. It resets only when you put gas in the tank.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• michaelg73michaelg73 Member Posts: 5
    It resets each time you fill the tank. There is no other way that I know of.
    I wonder what they were thinking when they did not offer an option to reset the mileage manually.
  • jim2006jim2006 Member Posts: 6
    branch15,
    sorry for the late response, I have not been here in a while. The $121 was for tsb0296-08, lube intermediate shaft. That did not work. They then did column assy, steering. I believe that this was tsb st002-06. The first time they did it 12/07, they said it would have been $450 plus labor which on the current job was $106. The second replace st002-06, 1/09 parts $695, labor $106. I had to pay the $121 for lube job, which did not help. Toyota picked up $695 for parts and dealer covered labor, $106 because I paid the $121 for failed lube job. Good luck.
  • neil5neil5 Member Posts: 118
    what were the symptoms? Noise?
  • ron6ron6 Member Posts: 27
    jim2006,
    If your Toyota dealer did TSB0296-08 for $121 you fared pretty well. I had the same TSB done last week at 63,000 miles. Parts were $25.85, labor $174.87 and misc/tax was $22.73 for a total of $223.45 because they said they would not cover it under warranty. My labor rate in Minneapolis may be higher than yours so $121 total still isn't bad. I hope it fixes my "clunk" permanently but if not I will see what they are willing to do. I will remember TSB002-06, 1/09 as the fix if the clunk returns. Do you have any correspondence from Toyota on this last fix, agreeing to provide parts free?
  • sbmansbman Member Posts: 12
    As I walked the driveway this morning, I noticed a trail of oil up the driveway and right into the garage. When I looked at the floor under my 2006 Touring, I saw about a quart of oil on the floor. Had to tow it in and the dealer replaced the oil pipe sub assembly and gaskets under warranty.

With only 35k miles, I guess I joined the others who have posted issues with major oil leaks with Avalons. Even found a video on You-Tube showing the problem. Amazing that the oil light never came on, even this AM when I had to move the car for the tow truck.
  • bteyebteye Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone! first time to this forum for me and I would appreciate any advice. My wife wants me to get a newer car to be used for my 2 kids at college. we have a 2001 Avalon with 60K miles on it and it is a wonderful car. she just wants something more reliable for the kids. I am not set on another Avalon but a 2007 with 37K miles is falling into my lap, which should have been well maintained.
    my questions are
    1. any problems with a 2007 Avalon, major service issues coming up?
    2. any idea reasonable price given our economy, is it better just go and buy a new one?
    3. only option I really want is NAV, but impression from this forum is that Avalon NAV is not that good and maybe should just get a portable plug in. All my new cars have Nav (honda and acura) and we had terrible incident when someone broke our Sienna windshield and stole our GPS, we had to drive with our window open on Labor Day weekend. Any suggestions which GPS to get?
    4. any idea what a 2007 Avalon with 37 K is worth, range in prices, don't even know what it has except it has sunroof, multi cd, cruise, but no NAV; dark gray/light gray interior, trade in and car max, not interested in private sales; I've been burned before!
    5. any idea what my 2001 silver Avalon with 60K is worth, trade in or car max

thanks so much for your help!!!!
  • sbmansbman Member Posts: 12
    I have a 06. Potential problems with steering wheel noise- (minor fix with lubrication by dealer) and replacing oil line (larger cost).

I would use the Edmunds and NADA prices as guides and then look at what local vehicles are selling for on Vehix and Autotrader.

Good luck!
  • jlsextonjlsexton Member Posts: 302
    60,000 on a 2001, if you have taken care of it you should get 150,000 or more so why is it not reliable ?

I have a late model 06 (built in July), I've had none of the problems on the forum but have had a couple of quirks with the keyless starting syetem, as in not starting, acting like it was started, dash lit, headlights on in garage. So far a couple of re-starts, shut it off, it immediately re-started, this happened twice when the engine was hot. Me, I'd keep the 01, I like Toyota, my Camry was great, this has as stated some quirks, I will look at an all wheel drive Acura TL in 2010. As far as GPS if you actually need one, get a Garmin, Consumers rates it best. Until Toyota has a decent one I would go after market. Great car my Avalon, rides great gets really good mileage on Mobil, bad on Sunoco, so I put up with the quirks.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    My '07 Limited w/Nav has been perfect to 38k miles. This is my third Avalon, owned one of each generation, all fine cars. I would agree with both posts #704 and #705 above. You should have a good car now but if the '07 is priced right for what is offered, OK, go for it. You don't need the factory Nav, it is not that good compared to the competition. Hope this helps....
    I'll chime in here too... I have an '06 XLS. Car has had two problems in 36K, one was the steering column clicking, and a failed O2 sensor. Other than that it has been a great ride. Overall MPG for me was around 21-22 but that is all city or gridlock highway. 30MPG is more than doable at 65. Expect 28 or so at 75-80. I also have owned an '03 and can tell you the '06 is superior in just about everyway. My '06 is just about ready to come off lease and if it wasn't for the Hyundai Genesis I would be leasing another Avalon.

As for pricing on the '07 you are looking at, like others said, check all the online guides (KBB, Edmunds, etc) and make an offer based on that. Of course with the economy the way it is you can probably go for the low end when making an offer.

• nidalnidal Member Posts: 9
    It is time to change my Toyo tires on my Avalon 06 Limited. I have 3 choices
    Bridgestgone, Yokohama & Dunlop in addition to Toyo.
    Any one can advice which to choose from experience . the highest price is Bridgeston and the lowesr is Dunlop.
    Thanks
    A one set limited experience with Dunlop was not good. Toyo is a great tire for performance but the ride is firmer than most and you get a little more road noise, we have used them on both an Avalon and v6 Accord. No experience with the other two brands. My '07 Limited actually has N filled Nexen tires on it, great ride and performance at half the price of Michelins, the tire guy recommended them. Also, my driving is in GA/FL, there is little snow or ice so if that type of weather is a factor it might affect your decision.

Others will probably reply about the Bridgestone and Yoko brands... Good luck. :)
    And I would have to disagree about the Dunlops. I live in NY, had 2 sets on my Camry (previous car) got good mileage 54,000, & good traction in bad weather.

Rotated then every 10,000 miles. Buy a AAA rated tire, my Avalon limited has Michelin, quiet, good in bad weather, only 13,000 on them so far, can't comment on mileage.
  • branch15_5branch15_5 Member Posts: 44
    fin, how many miles have you put on the Nexens? Any idea of how much mileage you'll get out of them?

Thanks in advance.
  • fabusfabus Member Posts: 3
    CAN ANYBODY FIX MY FLOOD 2006 AVALON IN ATLANTA AREA PLEASE? TOYOTA IS NO GOOD. THEY CHARGED ME $400 AND COULD NOT GIVE ME GOOD DIAGNOSTICS.PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN.
    Branch15: Now at the 10 month mark with 14k miles. Just did another rotation before the 4th as we were taking a short trip. The tires look like new except for a little edge wear on the outside. Typical. Keep in mind my driving is mostly suburban and interstate in the southeast. Also, they are N filled at 34psi cold, the ride is a little firmer than most in a Limited, but with excellent handling for a soft suspension car.

My best guess, 40k miles is reasonable to expect, more very possible. Been a Michelin man for decades but these things were half the price as a set and my tire guy has Nexens on his big MB custom cruiser sedan. To this point they act like Michelin. We never saw snow this year so that's still an unknown, but in GA, no real concern.

So far, so good. But pay close attention to the balance job as these tires generally need more weights than a Michelin. Not a problem but make them do it right especially if you cruise above 80.... Hope this helps.. :)
  • vicmvicm Member Posts: 18
    Have Michelins on my 05 Ltd, just past the 51,000 miles mark with them. Still have a few thousand to go. Looking for replacement tires. Michelin has given me good wear but would like other opinions on other tires. I have read all the posts on tires on this site. Lots of good info, but many conflicting opinions. Would appreciate any current info.
    Check Consumers...........

Good tires Michelins, little expensive, will be selling mine long before I have 51,000, only 13,500 and 3 years old now BUT I would buy the same tire.............
  • truckbmetruckbme Member Posts: 6
    Passenger side front PW window button (on driver side) just stopped working last week
    but still works on passengers PW button only. Anyone had this problem (yet)
    (out of warrenty) & any advice on this minor problem (unless the passenger side fails also)
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    It would appear to me that the problem is in the driver's side switch (window still works). Checking for defective switch or loose wire should be simple as removing the switch panel on the driver's side and jumping across the PW switch terminals to see if this operates the passenger window. I don't know if the switches are available individually, or only as the complete switch panel.
  • cathedralcathedral Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a used 2006 Avalon XLS with an Ivory interior. I'm hoping that someone on here could recommend floor mats that would best match the interior color and fit very well. I'm leaning more towards plastic to contain dirt and snow, but would be open to carpet. Does anyone have any advice about what floor mats have worked out well for them? Thanks.
  • jamesewellsjamesewells Member Posts: 6
    I have Weathertech's and love them. They are expensive, but worth it, at least to me. I bought the regular Weathertech mats for the Avalon, but if I bought again, I would buy the more expensive floor liners. I have the floor liners in my 4Runner and they are much nicer.

Jim Wells
    Tallahassee, FL
    I have to ask, WHY are you so pleased with them. As with all things there are expensive & not so expensive. I have Weather-Tech for my windows and they are much better & yes expensive. I purchased mats from Sears, durable & reasonable,a cost effective product but just my opinion.
  • jamesewellsjamesewells Member Posts: 6
    The floor liners fit perfectly out of the box, are easy to clean, and prevent water and other liquids from getting to the carpet. They also use the factory hooks on the front seats. I like mine. I'm sure there are less expensive choices that will work.
    Hi all, I recently picked up a used 2006 avalon limited. I love this car. Got rid of my Infinit M35x at end of lease. That car guzzled gas.

Anyway, I was looking at some aftermarket BT options and came across this

Scosche BlueFusion

My 3 questions are....

1. Has anyone used this product before?
    2. Since this unit is made for the Toyota Avalon, all you need to do is pop out the radio, and plug it into the Sat Radio plug. No wire splicing at all. (My car does not have Sat Radio built in)
    3. How hard is it to pop out the radio? Where can I find a manual to show me how to do it?

If anyone has removed the radio, I would like any advice or tips.

Thanks in advance to all.
    This may help you out with the radio removal:

link title

Is the dash trime removal tool Toyota specific? or is it a generic tool. Where can I get it?

Thx for the info
    Its generic. Just a slim piece of plastic. Crutchfield.com probably sells it for a few bucks.

• doobredoobre Member Posts: 42
    I have had a similar problem (and many many more of far more impact) but the PW switch was a temporary thing.. it happened only once after the car was in for service and a wash. when I pressed the PW button for passenger window from the drivers side it did not work. when I reached over and pressed the switch for that window on the passengers button it did work... but the green light inside the switch was flashing...

I stopped sometime later on. put all the windows up and down all the way and then stop the engine, locking the car and opening it again and starting up, the problem did not come back.
    of course it may have been a coincidence..

Good luck to you if this is all that has gone wrong with your avalon, my experiences have shown it is a s**t car as far as I'm concerned.. cheers
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    My experience has been just the opposite of doobre. I have a 05 Limited I bought new. I'm pushing 70K trouble free miles. Great ride and very good MPG, especially on highway. (Close to 30 doing 65 mph.)
    yes well Jeff, if you had all the problems I have had with my avalon and the dealer says they can do nothing, either because they are "intermittent issues" or "the model sold in the middle east is not fixable as is the US model".. I think you'd be pissed too... and the arrogance of Toyota makes the situation worse...
    this is my first and last Toyota..
    Interesting comments, please explain "model sold in the middle east is not fixable as is the US model".

Sold where? What is different about the car? I thought all Avalons were made at the same place (Kentucky).

What sort of problems are you having?
    Good reason, sorry I usually get an email on an answer but not this time.

What do the weathertechs cost ?
    popsavalon
    I was told by the dealer here (Al Futtaim - they have the monopoly) in Dubai that the 2005 sold in the ME is not fixable by the TSB which was issued by TOYOTA for the 2005 tranmission US model.. this was from the UAE National Service Manager.. I don't believe them but ...... I think there is some other reason that they can not\will not fix it... some 'special' agreement between TMC and the local dealer here ?... but you are right it's made in the same factory in US..

If you do a search on these forums for "doobre" I am sure you will find many threads discussing my issues.. main issue has been [and still is] the crap transmission...

cheers doobre
    Thanks for the reply. I hate to think about resolving problems associated with a "Japanese vehicle- mfg. in US- sold in Dubai". Sounds like the dealer is using this to his advantage to minimize service work.

The transmission issues for various Avalon models (my 07) have been fixable per the TSBs, and result in a very nice driving vehicle.
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    No doubt if I had the problems you have had I'd feel the same way. I am also disappointed that many complain of Toyota's attitude towards customers with problems. Is there a car manufacturer out there that really makes an effort to resolve problems fairly? That's why I hate to get back into the new car market. I think I'll run mine until they drop. Now that I think of it, I had a brake problem with my Subaru that was covered by warranty. They stepped right up and took care of it & I even got a loaner. However, I had shoddy work on other occasions with 2 Subaru dealerships.
  • cathedralcathedral Member Posts: 2
    Based on the useful suggestions, I decided to splurge on the Weathertech floormats. I spend about $170, and while that was way more than alternatives, it was worth it. They fit perfectly, look great, and will catch all the dirt, sand, snow, and water I'll track into my car. The color doesn't perfectly match the ivory interior, but they still match well enough. Thanks for the recommendation, and consider this my recommendation for these mats.
    Good luck, for me they would have to more than sit on the floor for $170. Any news on the 2010 Avalon, minus the rumors.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Any news on the 2010 Avalon, minus the rumors.

Good place to pursue that: 2010 Toyota Avalon.

;)
  • 5539655396 Member Posts: 529
    We have a 2003 Avalon and have upgraded the suspension with Energy sway bar bushings and KYB GR2 struts which transformed the car. (see posts in previous 04 and earlier and Suspension forums) I really like the car now with it's BMW like handling, but it now has 80k on it and I can probably still get a decent price for it. The other choice is to just keep it.

We have been put off by the size of the 05+ Avalons and weren't impressed with the lack of 'fun factor' in ones that we drove. But I have a size question for those of you that traded up from the previous generation. What were your early impressions of the new design? Did it feel a lot larger? How did the driving experience compare. I expect that the suspension was more taut, but was it as enjoyable to drive or just feel like a nice riding big car? With ES 350's coming off lease, I'm considering one as we really don't need the extra size of the Avalon. I would probably upgrade the suspension on that for a sportier feel too.
    I went from an '03 XL to an '06 XLS. The extra size was't a big deal for me. If anything it was a plus. IMO the only thing that the '03 had over the '06 was the seats. They were bigger and more comfortable to me. Other than that the '06 was fantastic, more power with better MPG, slightly better handling (although still soft) and great features. Also, the Toyota 2GR V6 is amazing, one of the greatest V6's available today. If I were you I would look for a lightly used Touring model provided you don't mind black interior as that is all that is available. The Touring has a tighter suspension, xenon lights, and a spoiler all standard.

Regarding the ES, if you don't need the extra room the Avalon offers the ES may be for you. Take note though, that it rides very soft and isolated from the road. This doesn't sound like your cup of tea.

In the end they are both great cars. My '06 Avalon only had an O2 sensor problem in the time I owned it (3 yrs 35K). I have a Hyundai Genesis now and while its a great car I miss my Avalon.